Type keyword(s) to search

The Writers of OUAT: Because, Um, Magic, That's Why

Souris
  • Start Topic

Lord. I forgot how stupid those lines were. Snow, who was a fugitive and wrongly accused of treason, doesn't know what it's like to feel misunderstood. Or Elsa! Or... God, I can't.

"We're so special because we're misunderstood" looks like something a 14-year-old girl in the middle of her emo phase would say. My parents just DON'T UNDERSTAND!

• Love 6

It's annoying how the writers constantly try to brainwash us into thinking Regina has suffered the most and has endured the most. It makes her so called redemption so hard to buy. We are supposed to feel bad because she failed to kill Snow and Emma and Marian, etc., etc.? That she killed her husband and father? Cursed a whole realm? Murdered and tortured countless people and still failed to kill Snow? That nobody understands her paaaain. Gimme a break.

However, that episode was the most blatant, and pure SQ baiting. It was bookended by CS scenes to put in the "no homo" disclaimer. Shame on the writers.

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 3

It's annoying how the writers constantly try to brainwash us into thinking Regina has suffered the most and has endured the most.

I forget whether it was Adam or Eddy, but at the latest San Diego Comic-Con, one of them flat out said Regina has probably suffered the most out of any character on that stage. So it's not just us fans over-analyzing the show's writing or reading between the lines, that's honestly what the writers think.

• Love 2

The harder the writers try, the more difficult it is to even like Regina. This is why I think they've done the character a huge disservice. And they've done a huge disservice to the characters around her, like Mary Margaret for instance.

With Regina, the writers want to have their cake and eat it too. And then they're oh let's put everyone else on par with Regina's crimes.

Zelena kills Marian, and rapes Robin, even though they never acknowledge that Regina raped Graham.

Snowing become babynappers. Regina sent countless kids to the Blind Witch. So pass on that.

Emma kills Cruella, and I'm supposed to see this as some really dark act, but I don't, because she thought her son was about to be murdered in front of her. So pass.

Hook murders his father, and I'm supposed to be upset by that because you know, he killed his father. Except that his father sold him into basically slavery, and it's appalling, and all I could think of when that scene played out was the physical abuse those boys suffered, and what if they were sexually abused too? That's where my mind went, because kids who are sold into servitude are beyond victims. His father's freedom was worth more to him than the sons he left behind. Hook can kill him a thousand times, I don't care. What I cared about was that action orphaned the sibling who had done nothing to deserve any of it. So pass on the patricide. As far as I'm concerned, he was a scumbag.

Plus, Hook would never have crossed paths with him if not for Regina, and he was willing to risk her anger to get him out of dodge.

The writers love the Evil Queen more than they love Regina. They love the Evil Queen so much, that when they do an episode that revolves around the Evil Queen in the past, and Regina in the present, they don't see the damage they're doing to her redemption.

• Love 6

The writers love the Evil Queen more than they love Regina. They love the Evil Queen so much, that when they do an episode that revolves around the Evil Queen in the past, and Regina in the present, they don't see the damage they're doing to her redemption.

They love the Evil Queen so much that they're willing to write in a scene explaining her retconned hair and wardrobe change, just so they can squeeze her into Hook's flashback. At that point, you'd think the writers would get the hint that maybe they've explored everything there is to know about the Evil Queen at this point.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 3

You know the writers love Regina like she's an actual person rather than liking to write for her and give her juicy storylines when they can't even keep everything she wants away from her in a storyline that's supposedly about how miserable her life is because of the rule that villains don't get happy endings. Before the ending of that arc, they just gave her Robin back by saying, oh, by the way, that wasn't really Marian at all! It was Zelena! Oops, never mind about all that never getting happy endings stuff. And it wasn't even through any action she took, any change she made. It was just hey, turns out he's free, after all! Plus, a bonus baby!

And that came after the way they couldn't even leave her unhappy because he rejected her. They had to make it clear that he really chose her and he just had to be with Marian out of duty before he left.

So they couldn't even sustain a storyline about her not being able to get a happy ending without just giving her what she wanted.

• Love 6

"We're so special because we're misunderstood" looks like something a 14-year-old girl in the middle of her emo phase would say. My parents just DON'T UNDERSTAND!

That was so bad, as well as Dark Swan and all she ended up doing was sitting around pouting throughout the arc.

Thinking more about the idea of the writers' pet, it occurred to me that if any character proves (or even suggests) the thesis that villains aren't allowed to get happy endings, it would be Hook. To start with, there have been all the times since he chose to stop being bad that he's been forced or coerced into doing bad things. There was the kiss curse, in which due to the curse and Zelena's threats he was caught between betraying Emma and putting her family in danger. There was Rumple's curse and/or con job on the hand that had him behaving in ways that so distressed him that he wanted to get rid of his hand, which led to the blackmail that made him help hat the Apprentice. There was having his heart ripped out and used to force him to carry out Rumple's evil schemes. There was being filled with Darkness and forced into being the Dark One. While some of that had to do with, as Ariel put it, going about things the wrong way, there's enough that wasn't his fault at all and enough in general to make it look like the Universe is out there saying, "You're supposed to be a villain, dammit." Even all his deaths and near deaths could be seen as him being forced into the villain role, since that's the usual outcome for a villain. When he almost had his shadow ripped away, that was the same fate that happened to villain Greg, and if you're just looking at the legend the way it's told and not the specific context here, being killed by Excalibur is a villain kind of fate. Plus, it seems like there's always something tearing Hook away from Emma, whom he defined as his happy ending. The moment she told him she loved him, she got turned into the Dark One and whisked away. The moment they were about to reunite Excalibur and the dagger and remove the Darkness from her so they could go have their picket fence life, he keeled over and got turned into the Dark One.

If I thought that they were at all aware they were doing this or were doing it on purpose, I'd say that it's a bit of really clever writing, showing the struggles a storybook villain goes through when he tries to change his own story and the story universe really wants him to be a villain and keeps treating him like one, no matter how heroic he manages to act. But it's these writers, and they've talked so much about Regina's suffering that, unless they're playing a long con, I have to believe that they really do think that Regina's boyfriend going back to his wife was a case of Regina not being allowed to have a happy ending because the universe is unfairly punishing her for her villainous past even though she's not that person anymore.

It's like the writers are over-indulgent parents of a bratty toddler. If she wants something, they cave and give it to her right away even if it isn't the best thing for her -- she wants a cookie, and even though it's right before dinner and full of fat and sugar and rewarding her for whining isn't good for her, they can't bear to see her cry, so they give it to her, and that means she's lacking nutrition and not getting the training she needs to be a better person. Meanwhile, they have this other kid, and they make him face the consequences of his actions, make him eat his vegetables, punish him when he does wrong, and make him earn the things he wants. One kid looks spoiled and the other looks like they hate him, but which one will probably end up with a better life? As it plays out on the show, Regina gets boring writing with no real meaty scenes since she gets everything she wants without a struggle, while Hook keeps getting storylines full of drama and conflict and lots of angsty, emotional scenes.

• Love 8

That was so bad, as well as Dark Swan and all she ended up doing was sitting around pouting throughout the arc.

Yeah, after they told us all that crap about how she'd be unhinged and "the worst Big Bad yet". It was just Emma retreating into her walls. Attempting to kill Zelena was her darkest deed, but that was more of a plot device than a contemplation concocted by the darkness. Her "betrayal" against Henry was a far cry from anything any other Dark Ones had done. We thought surely she wasn't playing around in 5x01/5x02, but alas - it was all a ruse. The writers wanted an "OMG" moment at the end of S4 without fleshing out the consequences. Emma is arguably the most powerful sorceress in all the known realms, yet she didn't pose a threat to anyone but a witch. She did stupid things, but that was human, not overly dark.

• Love 3

Yeah, after they told us all that crap about how she'd be unhinged and "the worst Big Bad yet". It was just Emma retreating into her walls. Attempting to kill Zelena was her darkest deed, but that was more of a plot device than a contemplation concocted by the darkness. Her "betrayal" against Henry was a far cry from anything any other Dark Ones had done. We thought surely she wasn't playing around in 5x01/5x02, but alas - it was all a ruse. The writers wanted an "OMG" moment at the end of S4 without fleshing out the consequences. Emma is arguably the most powerful sorceress in all the known realms, yet she didn't pose a threat to anyone but a witch. She did stupid things, but that was human, not overly dark.

Even her betrayal to Henry amounted to nothing in the end looking back.  It's worse for me because I was excited about the show actually delving into its mythology into the DO and yet an army of DOs did nothing in the end, defeated in an anticlimatic way.

• Love 5

Even her betrayal to Henry amounted to nothing in the end looking back.  It's worse for me because I was excited about the show actually delving into its mythology into the DO and yet an army of DOs did nothing in the end, defeated in an anticlimatic way.

This is why they should've started building the Dark One mythology a lot sooner than this arc. That's not saying that it wouldn't have been an even bigger mess, but at least more questions would've been answered.

Those Dark Ones were a joke. And honestly, looking back, how did Nimue even think that Emma was going to do what all Dark Ones wanted to do for eons, when she saw what happened in the diner, how Emma even as someone who took that final step, and became a "Dark One" didn't want Merlin's heart to be crushed, and tried to convince Hook not to do it, told him his revenge wasn't his happy ending, that she was.

Nimue = Idiot. Dude, you knew Emma was trying to save the man she loves, even as the Dark One.

Plus there was all that projecting going on. There was Regina projecting her feelings about dark powers onto Emma, and Merlin projecting his failed relationship with Nimue onto Emma and Hook.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 5

Those Dark Ones were a joke.

They were, even Zelena put up more of a fight.

This is why they should've started building the Dark One mythology a lot sooner than this arc. That's not saying that it wouldn't have been an even bigger mess, but at least more questions would've been answered.

I thought S4 was going to build up to this with Emma's powers going out of control and yet, none of it really mattered in the end.

• Love 1
I thought S4 was going to build up to this with Emma's powers going out of control and yet, none of it really mattered in the end.

I thought they were going to address the fuckery that is the relationship between Emma and her mother, and nope, did not happen!

But nope, instead we were treated to an awkward conversation that I'm still trying to purge out of my brain, about how cheating is not cheating, and why Robin and Regina should be together even though he had a wife.

• Love 3

I thought they were going to address the fuckery that is the relationship between Emma and her mother, and nope, did not happen!

Exactly and then they've had less and less screentime each season.

• Love 1

Even after the issues of S4 the lack of shared, quality screen time between Snowing and Emma as a family unit in 5a really surprised me. Their first ball as a family and all we get is a 25 second scene of Snow rambling about her own feelings and hopes (things we've already heard her say as far back as 2a when she and Emma visited what would've been Emma's nursery) while Emma says next to nothing. And all this hot on the heels of a 2 and a half minute scene where they give a nonsensical dance lesson to the woman responsible for their family's 30 year separation. I know 5x02 was a Regina episode, but damn.

• Love 4

*And Snow's was so spoiled, she didn't even notice that her father did not dance with her step-mother.*

I don't understand why the writers didn't have Regina teach Robin to dance instead of this illogical nonsense. It's like Snow and Charming have adopted Regina at this point. 

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 5

*And Snow's was so spoiled, she didn't even notice that her father did not dance with her step-mother.*

I don't understand why the writers didn't have Regina teach Robin to dance instead of this illogical nonsense. It's like Snow and Charming have adopted Regina at this point. 

Because then the writers would actually have to spend screen time on Emma and her family.

• Love 1

Didn't see this posted anywhere

https://mobile.twitter.com/InkTankGirl/status/687321527226769408/actions

Sounds like Brigitte's officially diving into writing an episode. That didn't take long.

She'll probably be paired with someone; I wonder who?

I wonder how that works. I assume the showrunners tell the writers what they want to happen/give them an outline, and then there are revisions to reach draft until a final is accepted. I wonder how much freedom the writers are given with the plot and characterization. Edited by OnceUponAJen

Personally, I assume they'd pair a new writer with a veteran writer for the show, just to get them up to speed and make sure the party line gets peddled.

I guess it doesn't matter. The writers all share the same mind, cleaved with the Dagger no doubt.

Maybe now, but just you wait, dearie. When the stars align... Edited by DigitalCount
  • Love 1

I wonder how that works. I assume the showrunners tell the writers what they want to happen/give them an outline, and then there are revisions to reach draft until a final is accepted. I wonder how much freedom the writers are given with the plot and characterization.

AFAIK, the writers' room decides on the plot/developments (A&E have final say) and they write a detailed outline of the episode (scene by scene). Then the chosen writer writes the actual script. The script goes through several revisions then (I assume every other writer reads it and gives notes, maybe dialogue suggestions. I remember Jane responding to a tweet praising a line in one of her episodes with "oh, actually Adam/Eddy wrote that line!"). Then the network reads it and also gives notes. Maybe someone at Disney also?

I think individual writers have absolutely no freedom because anything they write that A&E don't approve of, they can change.

• Love 3
I assume every other writer reads it and gives notes, maybe dialogue suggestions. I remember Jane responding to a tweet praising a line in one of her episodes with "oh, actually Adam/Eddy wrote that line!"

Maybe either Adam or Eddy scans through the scripts, but I have doubts the other writers read each others' episodes, considering the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing half the time.  Also because the timeline is so short, that I think the various writing teams are concurrently writing different episodes.  

I also wonder if individual writing teams, especially senior ones like Jane, are given a bit more leeway, eg. "The second episode needs to have Anna finding out about Rumple in the flashback, and in the present-day, Emma gets trapped with Elsa.  Fill the rest of the time with some filler about Charming, since we need to pretend we care about him".  Then, Jane is free to write about drunk fathers and how Anna made Charming brave.

Edited by Camera One

Maybe either Adam or Eddy scans through the scripts, but I have doubts the other writers read each others' episodes, considering the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing half the time.  Also because the timeline is so short, that I think the various writing teams are concurrently writing different episodes.  

I think they do read them. Reading a script doesn't take that long. Plus, that new writer tweeted about doing "homework" by reading all the old Once scripts. It's unbeliavably lazy if they don't. Still, I shouldn't expect more from them.

Edited by Serena

Another Adam gem reply.

Stefanie @Stef5255

"It happened off-screen" is the laziest shit I've ever heard. What TV show does that? #OnlyOnOUAT

Adam Horowitz ‏@AdamHorowitzLA  4 hours ago
@CastroDigoo @Stef5255  every tv show and film.  It's impossible to show every moment of life. Nor would you want to see that

every tv show and film.  It's impossible to show every moment of life. Nor would you want to see that

Besides, who wants to see 40 minutes of kissing anyway? You can't show everything that happens in Offscreenville without sacrificing Regina's story. That's just showbiz.

In all seriousness, I don't think fans would be complaining if we got stuff like Snowing telling Emma about the eggnapping or the Emma/Hook heart aftermath in 4x11 instead of scenes like Regina ripping horse ribbons off the wall or Merida whining about her will-o-wisps.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 5

Once Upon a Time in Offscreenville would be more interesting than a lot of the stuff they do show. And you know, it doesn't always need to be shown, but some things need to be referenced so that we know it happened.

• Love 4

To this day, we still don't even know if Robin is aware of Regina parading Marion around with a bag on her head and throwing her in the dungeon.

We don't get to see important scenes like that, thus we can never be sure of what the characters are aware of. Then on the flip side, the characters get irrelevant information that's used for stupidity like "I thought we were the good guys". (Yeah, thanks for that, Bleeding Through.) This is a very complicated show with lots of storylines, so I can see that their knowledge of events might be difficult to calculate. There's a plot hole in 4A where Emma doesn't know who Frederick is, even though she read the storybook. That's forgivable. But then there's the big stuff - like Robin's ignorance about Regina's past or Emma still thinking Graham's murder was natural heart failure. That's writer agenda, not an overlook. 

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3

Adam Horowitz ‏@AdamHorowitzLA  4 hours ago

@CastroDigoo @Stef5255  every tv show and film.  It's impossible to show every moment of life. Nor would you want to see that

Considering many of those scenes contain important character/plot development that they refer to anyone any fan asks them about something that doesn't make any sense, yes I would, especially since it sounds better than the actual show itself.

• Love 5

I was bored and happened to stumble across this response from Adam's twitter:

i'd have to go back and look, but I'm pretty sure all the deleted scenes are considered canon

All deleted scenes are considered canon? Seriously? That's incredibly unrealistic. If a scene doesn't show up on my TV screen on ABC at 8/7pm on Sunday nights, I'm sorry, but I don't consider it canon. How would any fan who doesn't keep up with the Internet fandom or buy the DVDs know about these deleted "canon" scenes? 

Edited by Curio
  • Love 9

I don't even go back and look at the deleted scenes. Last season, someone was posting them because they were airing them during GMA, but I never went looking for them. If someone hadn't posted that scene of Emma in the tower asking Henry what Gold did to Hook in the AU, I would never have known about it. 

And there was that Henry/Rumple scene when Henry goes to see his pop-pop and asks him to wipe his memories because he was so hurt by Regina shutting him out. For me, this scene shouldn't have been cut, and it's not because Regina was acting like a child over losing Robin, but more because everyone likes to pretend Henry is okay with everything going on around him when he's very clearly not.

• Love 4

All deleted scenes are considered canon? Seriously? That's incredibly unrealistic. If a scene doesn't show up on my TV screen on ABC at 8/7pm on Sunday nights, I'm sorry, but I don't consider it canon. How would any fan who doesn't keep up with the Internet fandom or buy the DVDs know about these deleted "canon" scenes?

Many of the deleted scenes are life moments, which is probably why they got deleted. Kristoff eating twinkies or Rumple collecting on his deal with Rip Van Winkle aren't as "fun" as boozing with Regina or Pied Piper Pan, I guess. I'm tired of the writers giving excuses about limited screen time when they fill it with such pointlessness. I actually do like most of the deleted scenes and I wish many of them weren't cut, but declaring them all canon is cop-out for good editing.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 4

One deleted scene I remember was Regina talking to Snow about how she was no longer going to be the mayor and so Snow had to do it. Without that scene the next episode where Snow is mayoring in Regina's old office makes no sense. Viewers who didn't watch that cut scene must have been like 'WHHHHHHAAAAAT?'

I'm sure what the point of the storyline was seeing as things just went back to the way they were. It was a bit like in S2 when Regina says she has been asked to stand down as mayor then suddenly just installs herself as mayor again after Cora comes back. I mean, seriously? Didn't any of the towns people have a problem with that?

• Love 1

#ItHappenedOffscreen for other shows:

• characters doing laundry, washing dishes, sleeping, using the bathroom, etc., unless it serves as a backdrop for an important conversation that helps develop plot, character, or relationship
  • characters talking about an event we've just seen, unless the way they talk about it or the reaction of a character is important
  • scenes that are repeats of previous scenes, unless they're establishing a pattern to break for surprise or humor
  • characters walking or driving from point A to point B, unless something important happens along the way

#ItHappenedOffscreen for this show:

• conversations in which one character reveals something that could change the relationship with the other character (and there's often not enough information in subsequent scenes to be able to tell if this information was ever even revealed)
  • scenes in which a character reacts in the immediate aftermath of a major event (especially when screen time has been devoted to setting up the fact that this kind of event would be major for that character)
  • scenes in which characters put together information from disparate sources and figure out what's happening
  • scenes in which the rest of the cast learn the outcome of the major plot arc they've all been working on

Sample #ItHappenedOffscreen scene for another show:

"I was thinking about pot roast for dinner."

"Sounds good, but do we have any potatoes? I'd better check."

Sample #ItHappenedOffscreen scene for this show:

Anna: Really, Mr. Gold is Rumplestiltskin, the Dark One?

Emma: You know Rumplestiltskin?

Anna: Yes! He tricked me into helping him get this magic hat he wanted to use to suck up magical people so he could get more power and separate himself from that dagger.

Emma: But he said he didn't know anything about you.

David: Surprise, he lied. No wonder he was so eager to help send you back home. He didn't want us to find out that he lied. But why? What is he hiding?

Emma: Oh my God, do you think that's what he was going to do to me when he was "helping" me get rid of my magic? And why was Hook passing on messages from him? Hook hates him. (Gasp) I think he was trying to tell me something, back there in the diner. I could tell something was wrong. Come to think of it, he's been acting odd ever since that night when I decided not to give up my powers. (Gets out her phone, tries to call) He's not answering.

Snow: Let's get to town and check.

(Later, as they approach the town)

Emma: What's happening at the clock tower?

Snow: This doesn't look good.

• Love 8

The "Mayor" was MIA for 6 weeks, and now she's gone to the Underworld.  They have done so little worldbuilding even within Storybrooke that it is unclear what the Mayor even does, except apparently be personally responsible for turning the power back on.  The Sheriffs' role is more defined, and apparently the remaining Dwarves played that role while everyone was gone.  A&E hardly let Snow and Charming have a conversation with Emma, so we can't even go to the next level and ask what did everyone in town think?  Of course, it's tough since it seems like Emma has no platonic friends except Regina based on what the writers show us.

• Love 4

The Mayor role has been goofy since the curse broke...(come to think of it the whole show got goofier after the curse broke, are we sure Rump/Regina didnt work in a "Stupid Clause," for when/if the curse broke?)  In S1 Regina as Mayor made senes as they acted as if Storybrooke interacted with the real world, though on an extremely limited basis..credit cards, a bus came to town, Maine Power was mentioned, the State Troopers taking H & G away) but now that SB doesnt interact, and we were Retro Wrote/Told that it NEVER interacted, what is the point..besides the idiots in town are apparently stil in their medieval serf phase and need "heros" and royalty to tell them what to do.

Speaking of friends, that also went to hell when the curse broke...but remember, we have the "Bromance," between Hook and Chariming which some fanwankers seem to see but I have not....

• Love 1

The writers don't understand the phrase, "It's about the journey, not the destination". They're constantly trying to get from Point A to Point D without giving too much thought to B or C. In 3B, they wanted to go from Missing Year/Zelena to Emma discovering home through a time travel adventure. Two very different places in the story but somehow they needed to be linked to fit their agenda. So how did they do it? Well, Zelena's plot to travel in time was ridiculously hokey, filled with plot holes, and was a curious alternative to the hundreds of other ways she could have gotten what she wanted. Emma's arc was also just as contrived. Instead of exploring the reasons why she should or shouldn't stay in Storybrooke, all we saw was Emma complaining and everyone else giving her the stares. You could tell the writers had no interest in anything that happened in 3B between the beginning and the end, except for Zelena's random centrics that had little to do with her endgame.

To have a good climax, you need steady build-up so it feels earned. In S4 and 5A, the mid-arc drag killed the momentum and then it went high-speed for two or three episodes. A&E do very well at setting up the mystery and suspense at the beginning of the arc, but it's usually a man behind the curtain situation. As we learn small details, the story becomes progressively uninteresting because what we thought was important is sidelined for guest stars or tangents. Then the climax usually has little to do with what was initially setup. (Frozen -> Ingrid/Rumple, QoD -> Author/Rumple, Dark Swan/Camelot -> Dark Hook/Faceless DOs)

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 4

Welcome to Once Upon A Time Season Formulas 101:

T - Theatrics. Begin every season with an epic and theatrical beginning that introduces many intriguing questions.

S - Stall. Never bother answering any of those questions and give random side characters centrics.

T - Tease. Keep the audience thinking that you'll answer those questions, but don't actually answer those questions.

W - Whiplash. Take a 180 turn and reveal the missing link that you never bothered to tell the audience about the entire season.

Remember the acronym, kids. TS;TW.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 13