Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Cup O' Joe

Dagny

Please remember that the Small Talk thread does not allow for the conversations that violate the Primetimer Politics Rule.

• Start Topic

What is so tragic that, as memories fade, WW2,  and all the lives lost and sacrifices made, may be sadly forgotten, just like WW1. The Korean War is getting more notice now than before. I just wonder how much time in History class is now spent on either World War? Those haunting faces in that picture brings me to tears.😢

I just watched a clip from Band of Brothers on YouTube,  most of the comments were "wow that looks just like Call of Duty."

I can't even. 

I don't know that kids learn anything about World War II or WWI or any history at all. 

I have a friend who's 42 and didn't know anything about the Blitz in London, how it was bombed continuously.  Maybe because I'm 66 and we just grew up on memories of the War because our fathers more than likely fought in it.  

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I just watched a clip from Band of Brothers on YouTube,  most of the comments were "wow that looks just like Call of Duty."

I can't even. 

I don't know that kids learn anything about World War II or WWI or any history at all. 

I have a friend who's 42 and didn't know anything about the Blitz in London, how it was bombed continuously.  Maybe because I'm 66 and we just grew up on memories of the War because our fathers more than likely fought in it.  

You know, that's a very good point. Our Fathers, Uncles and neighbors all seemed to have taken part in WW2, on some level. Our patriarch, who fought in the Battle of the Bulge, had many interesting photos and stories he shared with us as he got older. At the last reunion he attended, he said there were just a handful of attendees, most of them in wheelchairs. So sad.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

I can't even. 

I'm your age Teddysmom. My dad was a WWII vet that enlisted in the army at age 18 and was shipped off to the beaches of Normandy. Only by the grace of God the ship arrived on D Day +7.  His troop was under General Patton's command and went on to fight in The Battle of the Bulge and liberating  Dachau. I knew adults with tattoos on their wrists that had survived the concentration camps. 

My dad loved talking about his WWII experiences.

Today how do kids learn about WWII? When my daughter turned 14 we took her to Anne Frank's house, the beaches of Normandy and the American Cemetery. We took her to WWII sites all over Europe till she graduated college.

She was old enough to get it and hopefully never forget.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 4

When I was 15, we were studying WW ll in History class, so my father took me to see the documentary "Mein Kampf". I learned so much about the horrors of that war, from seeing that film. Several years ago it was on PBS, but I have never seen it broadcast since. The images are hard to watch, but you will  never forget what you have seen IMHO. Stormy, what an amazing way to teach your daughter about WWll. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, PennyPie18 said:

You know, that's a very good point. Our Fathers, Uncles and neighbors all seemed to have taken part in WW2, on some level. Our patriarch, who fought in the Battle of the Bulge, had many interesting photos and stories he shared with us as he got older. At the last reunion he attended, he said there were just a handful of attendees, most of them in wheelchairs. So sad.

Pennypie18, my dad didn't participate in D-Day but he was severely wounded at Iwo Jima.  He pretty much refused to discuss what happened with me even though we were very close and usually shared a lot.  Unfortunately he became ill and I lost him at 72 which seems to be the time that these brave veterans started to open up about their experiences.  I am glad they are sharing now and I hope folks are listening.  God bless each and every one of them.  ❤️

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Poor Joe.  The Queen just gave the president of copy of a rare book once owned by Winston Churchill.  Doesn't she know the Scarborough's are on the continent and that book should have gone to him?  I hope it didn't ruin their second honeymoon.

I think Theresa May should have had a meeting with Joe & Mika.

They are very important cable tv broadcasters.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, oakville said:

I think Theresa May should have had a meeting with Joe & Mika.

They are very important cable tv broadcasters.

Mika could advise her on her next career move. Maybe they can get her a contract with MSNBC. 

Stop dressing up, be happy with yourself, find a good 24 hour bakery,

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, stormy said:

Today how do kids learn about WWII?

I think you learn what you want to learn.  I don't even remember if much was said about WWII in my history classes in the 60s.  They were heavy on 18th and 19th century history.  But I was 10 years old when I discovered The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, read it cover to cover, and went on to spend years reading everything I could find about the Third Reich and WWII.  It's not every fifteen year old girl who receives a coffee table book on WWII battles from her parents and appreciates it, like I did, and has kept it to this day.

Because it only happened in the decade before I was born, it's always felt relatively recent to me.  It's jarring to realize that Poland was invaded 80 years ago and that D-day was 75 years ago and that almost all the WWII vets (including two of my uncles; my father was too young) are gone.  It seems like just the other day that we lost the last of the WWI vets.

I would hope, hope, hope, that being the daughter of a Polish-American diplomat, Mika would have been brought up with a greater understanding of that era than we might otherwise expect from her.

• Love 2
(edited)
28 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

think you learn what you want to learn.  I don't even remember if much was said about WWII in my history classes in the 60s.  They were heavy on 18th and 19th century history.  But I was 10 years old when I discovered The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, read it cover to cover, and went on to spend years reading everything I could find about the Third Reich and WWII.  It's not every fifteen year old girl who receives a coffee table book on WWII battles from her parents and appreciates it, like I did, and has kept it to this day.

I think you're right I don't think we really had a huge focus on WWII in high school, we did US history as it pertained to the formation of the country, the colonies, Louisiana Purchase, that type of thing. 

We all knew about it, of course, but as kids I don't think we were exposed to what really happened.  As I got older I became interested in the history of Europe as it pertained to the build up to the Nazi Party and Germany and finding out the real stories of the war ,  other than the romantic retelling of "boys went to war and we won Hooray!"  I do remember my Mother, who was born in 1927 so she was a teenager during the war, 13-18 between 1940 & 45, saying there were NO boys around to date, that anyone old enough (or not sometimes) had joined the military. 

Kids don't know about the rationing of gas and other staples, collecting scrap metal for the war effort, etc. women being hired by the defense contractors.  That our entire Pacific fleet was wiped out by the Pearl Harbor attack and that we didn't really have that much of a military before the war, that we really had to ramp up operations and personnel to meet the challenge of fighting in two theaters.   This is what people mean when they say the whole country pitched in , and EVERYONE sacrificed.  Can you imagine the government telling us now we can't drive our cars so we have gas for the tanks and jeeps?  Being given a book of ration coupons for food sugar cooking oil and if it ran out, well too bad. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

This is what people mean when they say the whole country pitched in , and EVERYONE sacrificed.  Can you imagine the government telling us now we can't drive our cars so we have gas for the tanks and jeeps?

Well, they had gone right from the Depression into the war, so for many people, because jobs were created, life actually improved during the war.  I suspect that if the country had continued the economic prosperity of the 1920s, and war had then come with demands for sacrifice, people would have been just as cranky as they would be now. 

That, and there was no doubt that Hitler was a really, really bad guy, bent on world domination.  Later generations only know wars of ambiguous origin, without a truly Big Bad guy to rally against.  Hell, after 9/11, we were told to continue conspicuous consumption or the terrorists would win!

• Love 2

My history classes (in high school) generally stopped around World War I. We always seemed to run out of time. I'm not sure why that was. Poor planning?

We always seemed to spend a great deal of time (in American History, anyway) on the Civil War, though. Maybe I just answered my own question.

The one thing I do remember, vividly, was seeing a film about the concentration camps. I think this was in junior high. I'll never, ever forget it.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Jordan Baker said:

My history classes (in high school) generally stopped around World War I. We always seemed to run out of time. I'm not sure why that was. Poor planning?

We always seemed to spend a great deal of time (in American History, anyway) on the Civil War, though. Maybe I just answered my own question.

The one thing I do remember, vividly, was seeing a film about the concentration camps. I think this was in junior high. I'll never, ever forget it.

I believe that Eisenhower wanted the liberation of the concentration camps to be filmed so that everyone, including future generations, would see for themselves the depravity and horrific, unspeakable conditions the prisoners were subjected to. But, there were/are those who still deny what happened. Eisenhower was brilliant to record that History.

• Love 5
(edited)

The Man Who Told America the Truth About D-Day

Most of the men in the first wave never stood a chance. In the predawn darkness of June 6, 1944, thousands of American soldiers crawled down swaying cargo nets and thudded into steel landing craft bound for the Normandy coast. Their senses were soon choked with the smells of wet canvas gear, seawater and acrid clouds of powder from the huge naval guns firing just over their heads. As the landing craft drew close to shore, the deafening roar stopped, quickly replaced by German artillery rounds crashing into the water all around them. The flesh under the men’s sea-soaked uniforms prickled. They waited, like trapped mice, barely daring to breathe.

A blanket of smoke hid the heavily defended bluffs above the strip of sand code-named Omaha Beach. Concentrated in concrete pill boxes, nearly 2,000 German defenders lay in wait. The landing ramps slapped down into the surf, and a catastrophic hail of gunfire erupted from the bluffs. The ensuing slaughter was merciless.

In June 1944, Ernie Pyle, a 43-year-old journalist from rural Indiana, was as ubiquitous in the everyday lives of millions of Americans as Walter Cronkite would be during the Vietnam War. What Pyle witnessed on the Normandy coast triggered a sort of journalistic conversion for him: Soon his readers - a broad section of the American public - were digesting columns that brought them more of the war’s pain, costs and losses. Before D-Day, Pyle’s dispatches from the front were full of gritty details of the troops’ daily struggles but served up with healthy doses of optimism and a reliable habit of looking away from the more horrifying aspects of war. Pyle was not a propagandist, but his columns seemed to offer the reader an unspoken agreement that they would not have to look too closely at the deaths, blood and corpses that are the reality of battle. Later, Pyle was more stark and honest.

Less than two weeks after witnessing the jubilant liberation of Paris, Pyle wrote his final column from Europe. “I’m leaving,” he told his readers.  "I’ve had it, as they say in the Army. I have had all I can take for a while.” After spending 29 months overseas, writing around 700,000 words about the war and surviving nearly a year at the front lines, Pyle confided that his spirit was faltering and confused. “I do hate terribly to leave right now, but I have given out,” he wrote. “I’ve been immersed in it too long. The hurt has finally become too great.”

Pyle returned home to New Mexico. After a few months back in the United States, overwhelmed by mountains of mail, invasions of his privacy and his wife’s attempted suicide, Pyle’s dread of war was outweighed by his unease in civilian life. Life on the front line was simpler. Pyle missed it. Shortly before Christmas 1944, he began making final preparations to report to the Pacific, where American forces were “island hopping” their way toward Japan.

The grim view of the war that overtook Pyle in Normandy - the sense that perhaps the losses were simply beyond bearing - seemed to follow Pyle to the Pacific, but it showed up differently in his reporting there. Interviewing bomber pilots on islands far from the fighting and sailors on Navy ships who seemed safe and comfortable compared with infantrymen on the front lines, Pyle felt that he was seeing a softer, easier war, and he let it show. “The days are warm and on our established island bases the food is good and the mail service is fast and there’s little danger from the enemy,” he wrote in a column titled “Europe This Is Not.” Worried that he wasn’t doing his part for the war effort, Pyle arranged to go with the Marines when they landed on Okinawa, where the fighting was expected to be intense. It was no D-Day - the Japanese had retreated inland, and Pyle was amazed to see a beach landing with no carnage - but the Marines soon found themselves mired in bitter fighting for every hill and cave. On April 18, 1945, 20 days before the war in Europe ended, Pyle was shot through the left temple by a Japanese machine-gunner and died instantly in a ditch on the tiny island of Ie Shima, off the northwest coast of Okinawa.

Before Pyle’s body was buried under a crude marker in the 77th Division’s cemetery, a draft of a column he was writing was discovered in his pocket. It was not so much a dispatch as it was a meditation on the end of the war. “Last summer,” Pyle said, “I wrote that I hoped the end of the war could be a gigantic relief, but not an elation. In the joyousness of high spirits it is so easy for us to forget the dead.” That was a relief that he knew was simply unavailable to many and a forgetting that shouldn’t be allowed to any.

The draft went on: “There are so many of the living who have had burned into their brains forever the unnatural sight of cold dead men scattered over the hillsides and in the ditches. . . . Dead men in such familiar promiscuity that they become monotonous. Dead men in such monstrous infinity that you come almost to hate them. Those are the things that you at home need not even try to understand. To you at home they are columns of figures, or he is a near one who went away and just didn’t come back. You didn’t see him lying so grotesque and pasty beside the gravel road in France. We saw him, saw him by the multiple thousands. That’s the difference.”

(much more at link)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/05/magazine/d-day-normandy-75th-ernie-pyle.html?action=click&module=Editors Picks&pgtype=Homepage

Edited by suomi
  • Love 2

Such an honest, gritty description of the D Day landing, you can almost, but never quite, grasp the heinous loss of life on those beaches. There is a photo in "all episodes" forum of injured soldiers that I find so disturbing, but curious, at the same time.  I can't help but wonder, did any of those young men survive the war? The young man looking directly into the camera seems so very young and so sad...maybe a little shell shocked, too. Strange, isn't it, how a picture can tug at your heart? We may never know what happened to any of them......but they are heroes, for sure.

• Love 2

Here's footage from the Emmys when Band of Brothers won. Major Dick Winters goes up on stage and speaks at the 2 minute mark if you want to fast forward. The footage on the right side of the screen at the St Regis is the other members of Easy Company, 506th Regiment,  101st Airborne who in 2002 were still with us. They went in as paratroopers behind enemy lines but enough of them regrouped and took out several German guns, and two days later took the town of Carentan. 

Yes some of them came home, and thank God we got a chance to thank them. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcdXrrjR90A

• Love 3

Thanks, teddysmom, for sending me to that video. Oh dear, must have something in my eyes, or I'm overcome with emotion......most likely the emotions. The comments were pretty amazing, too. And that standing  ovation was certainly well deserved. Bless them all.

• Love 1

Recently I saw former Senator Bob Kerry on Anderson Cooper. He lost a leg in Vietnam.

He was passionately disgusted that the doctor that gave trump the bone spurs diagnosis to keep him from serving, now says it was a lie.

It was very moving. He's a hero.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I hope this is the correct place to ask this question: The panel today mentioned the staggering loss of life the Russians suffered, even before the US entered the war. Should someone from Russia have been there to represent their sacrifices, too? What do you think? 

• Love 1

They weren't involved in this battle, they fought on the Eastern front, but Russia actually suffered the most losses in the war. 

I don't know that, because of the current situation, who they would invite. Would Putin allow any veterans of the war to attend? 

• Love 1

D-Day is a symbol of the war as a whole because it's the event that turned the tide that led to the end of the war.

Among the Allied powers (which included the Axis-occupied countries) the US, the USSR, Great Britain and China were known as the "Big Four." USSR casualties have always been estimated as twenty to twenty seven million; China's casualties have always held firm at twenty million. 

Of the eighty million casualties worldwide, the USSR and China obviously paid the highest price. (Russia and the USSR not being the same thing, Russia is a country and the USSR was a federation of countries that "belonged to" Russia, because of coercion and outright force). Communism placed China and the USSR far beyond the realm of their WWII allies; China and the USSR ended their relationship because their interpretations of Communism were in conflict. 

The first Russian president to attend a D-Day remembrance was Yeltsin in 2004. Russian attendance is sporadic because of their bad acts, they're not always invited and China wouldn't attend if they were invited. Putin and Xi are hosting D-Day commemorations in Moscow this week/today. 

The world is a sad place.

• Useful 2
(edited)

If you have Netflix, I can't more highly recommend that you watch David Letterman's interview with Melinda Gates. 

The work she & the Foundation do around the world to help women, children, eradicate disease should put Ms Know Your Value to shame. 

Dave asked her what average person can do to help in third world countries, she suggested local charities, etc. but also said, there are organizations where you can make a loan of $100 to a woman in Africa to help her with her business etc. 

I'm 1000% for women being paid what they're worth, but sometimes our value is more than our paycheck, it's what we have done for others. 

https://www.macleans.ca/news/world/melinda-gates-on-fighting-for-women-access-to-contraception-and-what-makes-her-angry/

Edited by teddysmom
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2

I happened to see this interview on Andrea Mitchell's show today and they finally posted it on Twitter. She's speaking to Jake Larson, a veteran of D Day, describing what happened to him as he started making his way to the beach, and how he feels about being at Normandy today, why a lot of veterans don't talk about their service.  

https://www.msnbc.com/andrea-mitchell-reports/watch/d-day-veteran-returns-to-normandy-75-years-later-61430853940

• Love 1

I wanted to share this with all you nice posters. Several years ago, I had the pleasure of volunteering at our Int'l Airport with a lovely French lady named Raine (sorry, I don't remember her last name). She would tell me what it was like in her small village north of Paris during the Nazi occupation. You never spoke to the SS guards, you quietly  did your chores, and they would pretty much leave you alone. After the war, she married an American soldier, came to the US, and raised 3 children. Another French lady also volunteered, and the 2 of them would converse in French whenever they were together! Lovely ladies with amazing stories, and I loved hearing them speak French!

• Love 6

I grew up an Army Brat.  My Dad survived the Bataan Death March and four years in a Japanese prison camp; my brother did two tours of Vietnam and my son did two tours in the Mideast.   

I always look forward to the D-Day observances and find them uplifting and cleansing in these times we live in.  What I cannot abide are on-air news personnel forcing their dramas into the story.  Some are heartfelt; but others (the usual suspects) use the occasion to get camera time and inject themselves into the narrative.

• Love 10

Kemper, your entire family deserves our gratitude and respect for all the services and sacrifices they made over generations. What your Dad survived is truly remarkable...I hope his health didn't suffer too much from the harsh conditions he endured. Was he able to talk about his experiences as he got older? One thing that was repeated several times today was the reluctance of so many survivors to "tell their stories" to their families and others.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, PennyPie18 said:

I wanted to share this with all you nice posters. Several years ago, I had the pleasure of volunteering at our Int'l Airport with a lovely French lady named Raine (sorry, I don't remember her last name). She would tell me what it was like in her small village north of Paris during the Nazi occupation. You never spoke to the SS guards, you quietly  did your chores, and they would pretty much leave you alone. After the war, she married an American soldier, came to the US, and raised 3 children. Another French lady also volunteered, and the 2 of them would converse in French whenever they were together! Lovely ladies with amazing stories, and I loved hearing them speak French!

PennyPie have you read The Nightingale? Based on your experience, you might find it interesting.

Edited by stormy
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

PennyPie...my dad never talked about his experiences; and his health was not really all that good after.  He had suffered malaria, malnutrition, etc.  He just got on with his life like so many of them did.  After he died my mother told us (my brothers and me) a couple of stories; we were adults by that time.  One would curl your hair.

I think my dad and others who went through those experiences were grateful to just get home and get their lives back.  And what passed for normal.  He was a wonderful father with such humor.  Plus he was Irish...so there were other tales to tell and embroider/elaborate on that did not involve the war.  Mom was Italian...we had an interesting house.

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

My Dad survived the Bataan Death March and four years in a Japanese prison camp

Wow.  Hats off and then some.  

I was on temporary duty in the Philippines in 1981 and got to take a trip to Corregidor.  Went through the tunnels, got to look across the channel to Bataan.  Very sobering experience and I've never regretted going.  

Two of my uncles served in the Pacific and they never talked about it, either.  My younger uncle was only a teenager at the time and I think it left some permanent changes to him.  But never a word.

You can always be so proud of your dad.  

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 3

Excerpts from some comments about an op-ed in today's NY Times. I only made it through a few of them before I had to quit reading. The last one is the one that did me in. 

I was born on D-Day.  Shortly after, my father, a young lieutenant in the infantry, landed in Normandy. He came home, but badly wounded. On my 60th birthday, I visited the Normandy beaches and a French family came up to me and thanked me for all the Americans had done. I cried.

I am named after my uncle Robert who volunteered as a pilot before the war began despite his North Carolinian roots. He was shot down over the English Channel during the Battle of Britain. He has no grave marker but his name is enshrined in a chapel in Winchester Cathedral. 

My father earned the Distinguished Flying Cross for action in a Dive Bomber over the Phillipines, a fact he would never share with us and that we only learned about after he died at age 70.

I only mention these things as two examples of many that exemplify selfless service. Our nation was built by anonymous people who sacrificed life and limb for their country.

A few years ago, a colleague and I brought a group of college students to the Normandy American Cemetery as part of a course. Possibly the most moving and heartbreaking moment was seeing all those tombstones facing west toward home.

• Love 3

So many interesting family histories....thanks to all you nice posters for sharing them with us. Stormy, I have not read "The Nightingale", but I agree that I would enjoy it and I have requested a copy from our Library. I have a question that perhaps someone can answer: Are all the graves in the American Cemetery marked with the names of the fallen soldiers? I always thought that most of the crosses did not have any names on them. And were any of the Normandy soldiers' bodies sent home to their grief stricken families? Thanks for any info!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, PennyPie18 said:

So many interesting family histories....thanks to all you nice posters for sharing them with us. Stormy, I have not read "The Nightingale", but I agree that I would enjoy it and I have requested a copy from our Library. I have a question that perhaps someone can answer: Are all the graves in the American Cemetery marked with the names of the fallen soldiers? I always thought that most of the crosses did not have any names on them. And were any of the Normandy soldiers' bodies sent home to their grief stricken families? Thanks for any info!

I saw this, from Jackie Spieirs, on Twitter yesterday:

Visited the grave of my friend’s father and witnessed a remarkable ceremony. The letters on the white crosses almost disappear in the brightness of the stone, so a soldier fills the indentations with sand from Omaha Beach to bring the name forward. It sent shivers down my spine.

There's a video showing the sand being filled in. Here's the link: Jackie Speier's tweet

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

I saw this, from Jackie Spieirs, on Twitter yesterday:

Visited the grave of my friend’s father and witnessed a remarkable ceremony. The letters on the white crosses almost disappear in the brightness of the stone, so a soldier fills the indentations with sand from Omaha Beach to bring the name forward. It sent shivers down my spine.

There's a video showing the sand being filled in. Here's the link: Jackie Speier's tweet

I want to add a few things. The American Cemetery above the beaches of Normandy is staffed with French military personnel. They are very respectful of the people who are visiting and why they come there.

It's a slight hill to get to the cemetery from the visitors center and when you reach the top and see a sea of Stark white crosses and Stars of David in front of you not only is very moving, it's chilling. It brought tears to my eyes just standing there.

You can walk amongst the graves, each one that I saw had a name. I don't know anyone buried there

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Kemper said:

I grew up an Army Brat.  My Dad survived the Bataan Death March and four years in a Japanese prison camp; my brother did two tours of Vietnam and my son did two tours in the Mideast.   

I always look forward to the D-Day observances and find them uplifting and cleansing in these times we live in.  What I cannot abide are on-air news personnel forcing their dramas into the story.  Some are heartfelt; but others (the usual suspects) use the occasion to get camera time and inject themselves into the narrative.

Kemper, I wasn't familiar with the Bataan Death March other than the name from watching WWII in Color on the H & I network. I looked it up to read the story.

It's absolutely gruesome. That your father survived it and four years as POW, is a testament to his fortitude. I know he's gone now but people like that live forever.

• Love 6

How reassuring to know that these heroes are not forgotten. What a heartwarming video to see the names, ranks and hometowns of these soldiers  come back to life  with the Omaha Beach sand. I wonder who thought of this extraordinary  idea? 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Good news, the Scarboroughs are safely back on the ground in FL.  Seriously, after reading the comments on this post I don't know how she stays on social media:

I predict jet lag flu on Monday.

• Love 2

Uh-oh, the Scarborough's are not going to be happy that Deutsch is in their lane:

I never knew he was in the shoebiz (unless it's a reference to the time he gifted Meeks with those Louboutins).

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Good news, the Scarboroughs are safely back on the ground in FL.  Seriously, after reading the comments on this post I don't know how she stays on social media:

Joe looks like a thumb.

• LOL 3

Steve Schmidt had started a popular weekly podcast with Elise Jordan.  Unfortunately a few weeks into it he flew into an on air rage over being questioned about his working with the Starbucks guy and it was quickly disbanded and as far as I can tell no one has heard from him since:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/steve-schmidt-storms-off-own-podcast-when-asked-about-advising-howard-schultz

It's a shame as I always appreciated hearing his thoughts and opinions.

• Love 1
(edited)

The Beatles came up here awhile back. I saw this on Netflix last night, it provides detailed insight into the socio-political-economic forces involved. They were catalysts in important ways. One example, they wrote their own songs which was nearly unheard of. Doing that changed the financial dynamic in recorded music. 

How The Beatles Changed The World

The fascinating story of the cultural, social, spiritual and musical revolution ignited by the coming of the Beatles. Tracing the impact that these four band members had, first in their native Britain and soon after worldwide, it reappraises the band and follows their path from young subversives to countercultural heroes. Featuring fresh, revealing interviews with key collaborators as well as a wealth of rarely-seen archival footage, this documentary presents a bold new take on the most significant band in the history of music and their enduring impact on popular culture. 

One hour, 48 minutes

Edited by suomi

Didn't know if anyone is interested but George Clooney's movie "Good Night & Good Luck" is on Netflix.  

The speech Murrow gives at the beginning is taken from an actual speech he gave in 1958 re the demise of the news and television in general.  

Clooney used actual footage of McCarthy opposite David Strathairn as Murrow.  It's amazing how even 65 years ago, they were lamenting the downfall of the news industry.  

We haven't made much progress folks.  As illustrated on MSNBC every morning from 6-9 am. 

You will get a kick out of Murrow interviewing Liberace and asking him when he's going to settle down and get married. Come on Ed! You were the standard bearer for journalism back then!! Get a clue. 

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, Jordan Baker said:

I love David Strathairn. That is all.

Me too. He attended IU and does the voice over for commercials  for IU Health Network. 

It's hilarious Joe writes an anthem to standing up to bullies.  

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 2