Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Happy new year to everybody! Hope 2016 brings us more of the characters we love, solid Arrow episodes to analyze, "gotcha" moments that are actually surprising and entertaining and hints/spoilers that will leave us spinning so-wild-and-crazy-but-they-could-absolutely-happen theories!

• Love 15

From the Social Media thread:

I do have to say that I don't think going to university really effects whether someone is good with words or if they are intelligent in the least. For example, I was a very poor kid whose parents were ill or dead so college wasn't really open to me but I still manage to string a sentence together.

This argument caught my attention as well. I really have to agree that higher education doesn't necessarily equal somebody becoming better spoken. I know people with degrees who just can't put a sensible paragraph together. Which I have to admit I find puzzling because didn't they have to actually read a decent amount of source material to graduate?
  • Love 1

From the Social Media thread:

This argument caught my attention as well. I really have to agree that higher education doesn't necessarily equal somebody becoming better spoken. I know people with degrees who just can't put a sensible paragraph together. Which I have to admit I find puzzling because didn't they have to actually read a decent amount of source material to graduate?

I think it depends on the degree. The difference in quality of writing between my friends that were Liberals Arts majors and STEM majors was pretty stark.
  • Love 1

So I started watching Alias on Netflix. It's enjoyable; I really like Sydney and her dad, and the episodes really truck along. However, does all this Rambaldi crap have a point? It seems totally bizarre to have a medieval prognosticator guy be this big a deal in a modern-day non-supernatural spy show. 

• Love 1

So I started watching Alias on Netflix. It's enjoyable; I really like Sydney and her dad, and the episodes really truck along. However, does all this Rambaldi crap have a point? It seems totally bizarre to have a medieval prognosticator guy be this big a deal in a modern-day non-supernatural spy show. 

The introduction of the Rambaldi crap is when the series started going downhill for me tbh. I mean there is a point to it, but I hated the direction the series took.

• Love 1

I'll just say that the Rambaldi stuff is with us to the finale, so make your peace, lol. 

When you reach the season two finale, come chit chat some more.  I'm sure you will have something to say. 

Actually popped over here to mention that for anyone that missed it, PBS is rebroadcasting this years holiday special of Sherlock on Jan 10. 

It was so incredibly good. 

Edited by BkWurm1

The season finale or the series finale?

Oops, of course you'd be confused when I changed the subject to season two.  Sorry for that.  It's just I'm always curious to hear people's reaction to the season two finale. 

Oops, of course you'd be confused when I changed the subject to season two.  Sorry for that.  It's just I'm always curious to hear people's reaction to the season two finale. 

I think I've heard about it, is that the one with the interrupted happily ever after into the sunset? A lot of people were speculating that Arrow S3 would end that way, so I heard about it. I think I'm going to be annoyed, and the guy marries some other chick who turns out to be evil and is maybe played by a bad actress?

I've found tv shows are much less frustrating when you can breeze through them on a binge. I maybe wouldn't have hated Arrow S3 as much if I'd binged it.

Nah. Still would have loathed it. It's basically a season of tv that should win a Darwin award for idiocy.

I was up until 2 a.m. watching S2 of Broadchurch last night because I couldn't go to sleep without knowing how it ended. I had watched and loved the first season so I don't know why it took me so long to watch the next one but it was utterly riveting.

I think I'm going to be annoyed, and the guy marries some other chick who turns out to be evil and is maybe played by a bad actress?

Heh, yep, Melissa George.  I disliked her before she was even on Alias and her turn on that show did nothing to dissuade me. 

There are varying opinions of seasons 3, 4 and 5, but I can recommend at least watching the first two seasons, they're pretty damn fun.

OMG, David Anders is like 12 in this episode!

Mr Sark!  I love him soooo much.  And yeah, DA was, I think 20/21 when he started.

• Love 2

Make your peace that Alias is a bit supernatural. If you can accept that I think you can handle season 4 and 5 (well with foreknowledge about Vaughn at least). 3 is boring in some ways but maybe just because I can't stand when couples want to be together and can't prolonged for a whole season. And then the ending to the Mystery is stupid. But there are good episodes still. 

I need to go back and watch Alias one of these days. I've seen all of the first season (over ten years ago) and a few episodes of the last season. It's one of those shows I keep meaning to watch, but never get around to.

IDK When Sydney told Vaughn what's up in S3 and how she would've waited and not accepted the truth and how that would've been such a waste, that was probably one of my most favorite moments of the series :p I liked the mystery of what Sydney was up to while she wasn't herself... S3 wasn't as good as S1 or 2 but it did have its bright moments

Edited by wonderwall

I was a faithful Alias watcher the first two seasons but quickly dropped it once it got more convoluted than I cared to follow. Those first two seasons were great, though. I'm doing a quick rewatch binge of The 100. It holds up; I'm still entertained and looking forward to the new season.

• Love 1

Alias was my first TV love. I was obsessed. I've always wanted to go back and do a full series re-watch, but every time I get to the end of season 2 I can never bring myself to start 3. 

Count me in as being excited for the next season of The 100 as well. I really dig that show.

Speaking of Alias, my sister and I are just starting a rewatch of Leverage and I'd forgotten how tickled I was to see the checks the gang gets at the end of the first ep were from Credit Dauphine.  I adore that the show is full of fun details like that.  TPTB really seemed to have a great time making Leverage and it showed.

• Love 2

Maybe I'll just watch 1-2 of Alias, and then the series finale?  And it turns out there really is a supernatural element? That seems entirely unfitting to the show so far (last few episodes of S1).

The 100 is one of the best shows on tv, not just on the CW. Except for the weird messiah dude. He's terrible.

Edited by AyChihuahua

Having watched Alias to the bitter end. I pretend that Alias ended after Season 2. The Series Finale ruined my favorite character so I will never go back and do a full re-watch.  I only own S1 and S2 so my re-watch will end there anyway. 

The 100 is one of the best shows I've seen in awhile. It's doesn't even feel like it's on the CW. 

I *loved* Alias S1. Then liked S2. Then S3 ruined my life, I rage-quit the show sometime in mid-season, AND NEVER EVER WAS ABLE TO WATCH A SECOND OF IT EVER AGAIN.

I hold fictional grudges FOREVER.

It's been so god damn long since I've seen Alias, can someone fill me in on what happened in S3 that has everyone raging? Because I honestly can't remember...

I *loved* Alias S1. Then liked S2. Then S3 ruined my life, I rage-quit the show sometime in mid-season, AND NEVER EVER WAS ABLE TO WATCH A SECOND OF IT EVER AGAIN.

So what I'm hearing is stop watching right before the very end of S2, right? They ride off into the sunset and that is the series finale?

Fictional grudges are the best. 

Holy crap, 007 is in this episode! 

Edited by AyChihuahua

It's been so god damn long since I've seen Alias, can someone fill me in on what happened in S3 that has everyone raging? Because I honestly can't remember...

Melissa George happened.

So what I'm hearing is stop watching right before the very end of S2, right? They ride off into the sunset and that is the series finale?

Imo, Pretty much, yeah. Turn it off before the ride into the sunset gets ruined by Vaughn being a dumbass jerkface, and you're good.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 4

Gods, I LOVED Alias. And I'm not even gonna lie. To this day, I think Will is the best role Bradley Cooper has ever had.  No joke.

I might be worse. I held a grudge against Supernatural for Angel reasons and refused to watch it. I bitched and moaned about SPN and it's probably untalented pretty boys taking the place of my beloved Wesley Wyndam Price until literally 2 years ago.  I finally gave in and watched as part of a re-watch for a different site.

220+ episodes and multiple re-watches later, I'm pretty much addicted to that fucking show & Dean Winchester is arguably my favorite character in the history of ever and Jensen Ackles deserves all the awards. LOOOOL at me.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

Fictional grudges are the best. 

Holy crap, 007 is in this episode! 

Wellll... the season 2 finale is definitely not a ride off into the sunset. It was actually a pretty good hook to tune in for the 3rd season, except they botched the resolution. And, well, most of season 3, really.

• Love 2

Melissa George happened.

Ohhhhhhhh. Yeah. I honestly forgot how much she ruined S3. I guess I've repressed everything about her... I suppose years from now when I'm thinking about Arrow I'll do the same thing about Laurel. Except Melissa's character was way worse lol

Okay, she was just arrested bc of this stupid ass prophecy. Bc sure, that would happen, EVER. I'd love to see them convince a federal judge there was probable cause for her arrest.

DOJ Atty: See judge, there's this 500-year-old prophecy, and it describes a woman who is a lot like our arrestee here, and it says she's going to destroy a great power. We're not positive it's her, but it seems likely, and Rambaldi was really smart and also the great power COULD BE the U.S., so she could possibly maybe in the future do bad things, but maybe not to the U.S. because a great power may or may not be the U.S., and also seriously it's a 500-year-old prophecy, but...

Federal judge: Get the hell out of my courtroom.

• Love 1

Wellll... the season 2 finale is definitely not a ride off into the sunset. It was actually a pretty good hook to tune in for the 3rd season, except they botched the resolution. And, well, most of season 3, really.

Isn't there a car crash during the ride? So if I turn it off before that, it never happened, right? 

Oh so they are citing a directive for the arrest. Because a DIRECTIVE overrules the UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION.

Sure, okay, whatevs.

The Spy Fam was my favorite family and I know they were messed up beyond anything but I still loved them. 

So far Sydney and her dad are by far the best thing about the show. The Vaughn guy is cute but their chem isn't scorching and he kind of mostly has the same expression all the time. Wrinkled brow/concerned. 

Edited by AyChihuahua

Isn't there a car crash during the ride? So if I turn it off before that, it never happened, right?

No, that's the season 4 finale. I don't think there's any point in the season 2 finale you can tune out and think everyone's going to live happily ever after

No, that's the season 4 finale. I don't think there's any point in the season 2 finale you can tune out and think everyone's going to live happily ever after

Maybe third seasons just generally suck? Arrow, Alias, Supernatural.  BtVS S3 was FANTASTIC, though.

I'd rather quit and miss out on the cliffhanger resolution than be enraged. Had enough misbegotten tv-induced rage from Arrow S3. 

Ohhhhhhhh. Yeah. I honestly forgot how much she ruined S3. I guess I've repressed everything about her... I suppose years from now when I'm thinking about Arrow I'll do the same thing about Laurel. Except Melissa's character was way worse lol

I actively avoid Melissa George for real. She randomly showed up on Good Wife last season, and I had fannish post-traumatic stress.

• Love 2

I actively avoid Melissa George for real. She randomly showed up on Good Wife last season, and I had fannish post-traumatic stress.

She was in the remake of Amityville, and she wasn't good. I was really focused on Ryan Reynolds' bod while he chopped wood, though, so didn't really mind her.

The Spy Fam is Jack, Sydney and Irina Derevko. I'm probably biased because I loved Lena F-ing Olin (as she was known on TWOP back in the day) on that show.  She was such a badass and had amazing chemistry with Victor Garber. I think I shipped Jack and Irina more than Sydney and Vaughn. I know she was bad but that's what made her so fun to watch. 

After Season 3, Alias never recovered IMO. I watched but no longer looked forward to it like I did the first two seasons. Maybe JJ should stick to movies, his shows all have terrible finales. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

I might be worse. I held a grudge against Supernatural for Angel reasons and refused to watch it. I bitched and moaned about SPN and it's probably untalented pretty boys taking the place of my beloved Wesley Wyndam Price until literally 2 years ago.  I finally gave in and watched as part of a re-watch for a different site.

I miss Wesley. I miss Alexis. I was damn near inconsolable at the end of Angel (I loved Buffy, but Angel spoke more to me and Wesley was my favorite character).

As for Alias, I stuck with it till the not-so-bitter end. I just pretended/continue to pretend that some characters *coughLaurencough* don't exist (like I do with Arrow).

Edited by SmallScreenDiva

I miss Wesley. I miss Alexis. I was damn near inconsolable at the end of Angel (I loved Buffy, but Angel spoke more to me and Wesley was my favorite character).

ME TOO! I was so gutted when Angel ended but to this day I find it the most satisfying finale non FNL division I've watched.

• Love 1