Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I only thought Good Wife because @dtissagirl said that no couple is rattable on it. But I don't watch the show, so what I know about it is minimal other than what makes it to previews and media outlets.

It's no so much that no couple can be messed with, it's more that there are currently no couples AT ALL. There's an estranged married couple who have sex sometimes, and a potential love interest that hasn't happened yet. That's it. The description they used -- "one of TV’s most popular contemporary love stories" -- just doesn't fit.

• Love 3

It's no so much that no couple can be messed with, it's more that there are currently no couples AT ALL. There's an estranged married couple who have sex sometimes, and a potential love interest that hasn't happened yet. That's it. The description they used -- "one of TV’s most popular contemporary love stories" -- just doesn't fit.

Yeah, I was just sitting here thinking, "Who's even a couple on The Good Wife?" and coming up completely blank. It was the first time I really thought about the fact that they've decimated any and all of the romantic pairings on that show. For that matter, they've pretty much decimated every friendship, too. It's freaking bizarre, when you think about it.

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 1

The SAG Awards Snub Women In The Outstanding Performance By A Cast Category & That's A Huge Oversight

MICHAEL ARBEITER an hour ago
http://www.bustle.com/articles/128814-the-sag-awards-snub-women-in-the-outstanding-performance-by-a-cast-category-thats-a

... The 2016 SAG nominees for Outstanding Cast Performance is dominated by men, and that's an issue.
... And it isn’t as though 2015 has been wanting for worthy candidates. A simple glance at the SAG’s Lead and Supporting Female Actor categories offers a few viable suggestions for how to better fill out the Outstanding Cast roster with deserving women.

Carol, for which Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara are nominated, boasts terrific supporting performances by Sarah Paulson, Kyle Chandler, and Jake Lacy. Saoirse Ronan’s starring turn in Brooklyn is backed up by the skills and charms of Julie Walters, Jane Brennan, Fiona Glascott, Eileen O’Higgins, Emily Bett Rickards, Eve Macklin, Nora Jane Noone, Emory Cohen, Domhnall Gleeson, and Jim Broadbent.

• Love 1

I'd like to thank the Golden Globe nominations for being way more interesting than the SAG nominations. Rachel Bloom's nom is awesome and will hopefully help with Crazy Ex-Girlfriend's renewal, and I love that it didn't come at the expense of Gina's.

• Love 6

Rachel Bloom (Craze Ex girlfriend) and Gina were both nominated in category of "COMEDY OR MUSICAL SERIES – ACTRESS" for Golden Globe.  Congratulations to them and Crazy just might be renewed. 

I was so excited to see that this morning. Rachel and Gina are both so deserving. Those two nominations and Rami Malek's nomination for Mr. Robot made me so, so happy.

• Love 1

I'm happy for this one

Eva Green, "Penny Dreadful

She gives her all and then some into her performance on that show. 

Jennifer Lawrence is becoming the new Meryl Streep, she gets nominated for just being in a movie during the year.

• Love 1

JL was great in her break out role, Winter's Bone (good movie)  She was fine in the Hunger Games but I never could get too excited about those movies because I couldn't stand who they cast as her final love interest (couldn't take him seriously in the movie and when I was reading the books I was rooting for the other guy, lol)  I keep meaning to watch Silver Linings Playbook but it seems like it might be more depressing than I feel like dealing with. 

I loved Silver Linings Playbook. It's not a happy movie, but she was really good in it. I thought she was great in the Hunger Games franchise, both her love interests were miscast though. The Hemsworth brothers definitely do not share the charisma gene. 

I like that JL says whatever she wants and doesn't worry about what other people think about her. I also like that despite being one of the biggest movie stars on the planet, if she's not filming a movie or doing press for a movie or at award shows, you never see or hear about her. She manages to keep her private life, private. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

Silver lining playbook was a really good movie, it definitely wasn't as depressing as a I thought it would be. The book on the other hand is wicked depressing. I recommend the movie or the book if you're looking for not depressing.

I think Jennifer Lawrence is talented. I heard Joy was really good. It's a sadder comedy with more dramatic flair which is probably why it was nominated. I don't quite think JLaw is at Streep status yet. I think she just picks good projects & collaborators like David O Russell.

As for the Hunger Games. I loved JLaws performance. It was subtle at points. I don't think Josh hutcherson was miscast as Peeta. If anything he makes an amazing Peeta. I just don't think they cast him for romantic chemistry. Although I always believed they did have chemistry on the screen. It just was a unique & unbalanced love story.

Also as important as the love story was in the novels, in many ways they neutered it in thd movies. Katniss's lovelife was not important to the story they were telling in the movies, especially once they got the new director for the last 2 movies. So the script reflected the minimizing of any lovestory.

As for Hemsworth, I do think he was miscast. It didn't matter what story they wanted to tell. I never would have believed a romance between them. Hemsworth just wasn't broody enough for Gale. He barely mustered that low boiling anger that to me defined Gale in the books.

Interesting. I never thought that Gale was especially broody or seething with anger when I was reading the books. Fed up and ready to end the madness given the chance, but also pragmatic and for most of the series more interested in his loved ones survival than any vast political change. But like I said, I was on the wrong side of the love triangle so obviously I missed seeing his negative qualities. (Even the final thing that comes between him really wasn't his fault, he didn't make the call)

That said, I haven't seen the final movie yet since frankly the ending is bound to be depressing. I guess in the final movie is where I would judge Gale lacking or not since before that, he doesn't get much to do. You're right about the romance not being the focus and I liked it that way.

As for Josh Hutcherson being cast well, well, maybe. I just don't vibe with him as an actor period.

• Love 1
I like that JL says whatever she wants and doesn't worry about what other people think about her. I also like that despite being one of the biggest movie stars on the planet, if she's not filming a movie or doing press for a movie or at award shows, you never see or hear about her. She manages to keep her private life, private. 

When she talks, in general, I like what she has to say, for example about body-shaming. I know indeed nothing about her life, she certainly has her flaws just like everyone but as a public person, I like her. I wish I heard more young girls say they take her as a role model, instead of  "reality" TV trash, vapid models, etc.

Anything stamped "YA" makes me run in the other direction (yep, I'm prejudiced) but I don't like movies much anymore, anyway.

Since the 2000's I have the feeling that mostly, I have the choice between too artsy/pretentious or CGI demos without a soul. Oh, and tons of adaptations, prequels, sequels. It isn't bad per se, the problem is that I see more often cash-cows than passionate projects like LOTR was for Peter Jackson (not talking about the Hobbit, which I didn't bother to see).

I also feel that nowadays the "vision" (read: ego) of the director counts more than the actual story and the characters are mostly an afterthought, whereas they're the main draw for me. I can think of many iconic original movie characters from the 70's and the 80's, I can still think of several from the 90's, but none since the Matrix, and imo it's telling. That's why I prefer TV, because the characters are still at the center of things.

I'm so happy for Eva Green. She's one of my favorite actresses working ATM. Hope she wins it.

I'm weirdly glad that Eva Green is so talented/recognized and is doing so well. Her mom was the "it" popular movie star in France in the late 70's, so she was everywhere when I was a kid. Then she had her twins daughters (Eva is one of them) and mostly retired to raise them, and became a popular author of children books.

I don't know if there are people around here who watch the British series Death in Paradise, but the female lead since series 4, Josephine Jobert, is Eva Green's cousin. (That'll be all for useless trivia).

Edited by Happy Harpy

Interesting. I never thought that Gale was especially broody or seething with anger when I was reading the books. Fed up and ready to end the madness given the chance, but also pragmatic and for most of the series more interested in his loved ones survival than any vast political change. But like I said, I was on the wrong side of the love triangle so obviously I missed seeing his negative qualities. (Even the final thing that comes between him really wasn't his fault, he didn't make the call)

That said, I haven't seen the final movie yet since frankly the ending is bound to be depressing. I guess in the final movie is where I would judge Gale lacking or not since before that, he doesn't get much to do. You're right about the romance not being the focus and I liked it that way.

As for Josh Hutcherson being cast well, well, maybe. I just don't vibe with him as an actor period.

I think by the time I read the books, I had already seen who was cast. So in my head, I feel like I already say JL & JH as the people's faces or at least something similar. Peeta comes off as soft and sensitive, but strong in the books and I think JH captured that in a way that didn't make Peeta seem effeminate or weak. It just seemed like that blend is hard to find in male actors of his age category without making it too EMO. For me he captured that essence. I did always like Peeta better. In someways he reminded me of FS in that they can be easily overlooked and underestimated because of their kindness & humanity.

I also think that Peeta understood Katniss in ways that other people didn't. He also expected very little of her despite the fact that he obviously loved her. His "always" still gets me the way the author wrote that reveal. And for me it was heartbreaking that the Capital managed to do the one thing he didn't want to do and that was change who he was. By hijacking him, not only did they break him, but they stripped him of who he was and changed him which was just so horrendous & cruel.

I never really disliked Gale in the book, but I never warmed up to him because I found his pragmatism almost too much for me. And then he would say dumb things like I should have volunteered to go instead of Peeta to protect Katniss and I was like NO, she needed you to protect her family. You did help her in the way she needed. Perhaps because there had been no other D12 Victors besides Haymitch, I don't think everyone realized just how messed up Katniss & Peeta would return. I think he wanted Katniss to be the person who left for the games, but she never really returned. They just grew apart in pretty significant ways and their friendship didn't grow with the changes.

At times he seemed jealous of Peeta, yet also relieved that he was not burdened with Katniss. For me that's where his broodiness in Book 2 came. He always seemed angry (rightly so) with the Capital and it just seemed to escalate after the final events of Bk 2 moving and throughout all of Bk 3. It wasn't his fault that the call was made the way it was made. But he did design the technique and strategy without little thought of the causalities. And he seemed pretty glib about it when Katniss confronted him about it. So I don't blame him for what happened, but I could see how it would cause a permanent wedge.

Overall, I really enjoyed the movies. The books are clearly better. But I liked that they focused less on Katniss's romantic life, especially considering who they cast. A romance was just not believable with that trio. Plus it wasn't even really a good triangle in story, because Katniss spent most of the story either being traumatized or recovering from bring traumatized. It wasn't like she was trying to decide between two guys like some bad teen rom-com. Romance was the furthest thing on her mind and she spent most of the series not even recognizing what her feelings and emotions were for either guy. So it was a smart decision to focus more on her overall journey & skip the romance.

You really should watch the last movie if you can... It was pretty good. They actually did a good job with Gale, and it was much better than MJ pt. 1. It is pretty sad with all the deaths. And it felt a little more raw in light of recent world events. And I feel like they kept close to the book. Plus its like a cameo city for good actors from good TV series. There were so many faces I recognized from shows like HoC, Homeland, GoT and others. I don't know their names but I knew their faces.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 3

It's really not a huge deal but all of my Jewish friends use Menorah, hell even Adam Sandler calls it a Menorah in the Hanukkah Song. I don't really thing one is correct and the other is wrong more likely it's the difference between English and Hebrew. Same as Hanukkah vs Chanukah, both are equally valid.

• Love 1

Trololol, that's officially the most ridiculous blind item ever.

"We’ve learned that while the health of the couple at the center of the maelstrom probably won’t hinge on this visit from the Ghost of Story Arcs Past"

The "health" of the couple at the center = half of the pairing has been dead for over a season.

CW getting some more critics love!

Critics Choice Awards 2016 nominees:

ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Rachel Bloom – Crazy Ex-Girlfriend – The CW
Aya Cash – You’re the Worst – FXX
Wendi McLendon-Covey – The Goldbergs – ABC
Gina Rodriguez – Jane the Virgin – The CW
Tracee Ellis Ross – Black-ish – ABC
Constance Wu – Fresh Off the Boat – ABC

COMEDY SERIES
Black-ish – ABC
Catastrophe – Amazon
Jane the Virgin – The CW
Master of None – Netflix
The Last Man on Earth – Fox
Transparent – Amazon
You’re the Worst – FXX

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Andre Braugher – Brooklyn Nine-Nine – Fox
Jaime Camil – Jane the Virgin – The CW
Jay Duplass – Transparent – Amazon
Neil Flynn – The Middle – ABC
Keegan-Michael Key – Playing House – USA
Mel Rodriguez – Getting On – HBO

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/12/critics-choice-awards-2016-nominations.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Just about to post that.

Can anyone else tell the director did Fast and The Furious? Cause I can.

Lol I love Star Trek so much.

I hope the other trailers show more of Idris.

The Independence Day 2 trailer came out as well. Using the cheesy speech narrative was surprisingly effective.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 1

Oh Justin Lin...hmm not sure how I feel about that one.  I do love Fast 5 and Fast and Furious 6 but, I hope Star Trek Beyond is plotted a wee bit better.

I'm guessing Idris is one of the aliens?  Seems such a shame to cover up with pretty with makeup.

I have to say, I really liked the Independence Day Resurgence Trailer

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

I had totally forgot they were making a sequel to ID4 until it showed up on my facebook page.  It was cool that they got so much of the original cast back and I like the concept of the new film.  2016 is turning out to be an awesome movie going year.

Edited by Morrigan2575

The Love Story Blind Item was revealed

This is the second time that they have a blind item fizzling into a click-bait meh, imo.

Is there an emerging TV site where I could go for news -EW's track record not being to good from what I've seen here- and that happens to respect its readers?

Edited by Happy Harpy

The marketing for Deadpool is damn near perfect.

Love this poster.

ew-deadpool-poster.jpg

Honestly? I'm actually more looking forward to Deadpool than to Bat Vs Sup..

Independence day 2 trailer looks stupid, as a non United Stater I have an issue with them proclaiming "now 4th of July will be an independence day around the world".. Also, no Will Smith?

Edited by foreverevolving

Honestly? I'm actually more looking forward to Deadpool than to Bat Vs Sup..

Independence day 2 trailer looks stupid, as a non United Stater I have an issue with them proclaiming "now 4th of July will be an independence day around the world".. Also, no Will Smith?

That's a line from the orignal movie, it's the speech the President gives when they're about to strike back against the Aliens. The whole world United on July 4th to take back the planet...so technically (in the movie) July 4th is now Earth's Independence Day.
  • Love 2

That trailer for Independence Day is so dark. Not something I connect with the first movie at all. But yay, Judd Hirsch. And is that Vivica A Fox as the doctor waving her arms on a hospital rooftop? Good for her character.

• Love 1

That new Star Trek movie looks like fun.  You know what I like about the Star Trek movies?  The core cast of characters (Kirk & gang) go through hell and back in their space adventures, but you never have to worry about any of them being killed off permanently (fingers crossed this will not change in the future).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

The Best of Both Worlds P1 & 2 remain my favorite Star Trek episodes. Ever.

I agree about Voyager in terms of Janeways interactions with the Borg. But I did like Seven of Nine learning to be human again.

I appreciated Q a whole lot more on TNG. I cringe at the whole mating thing with Janeway.  

I just saw the trailer for The 100, it looked intense. It's the only show that actually had the guts to get rid of a failed love interest. Well I suppose it takes a lot of big risks that most shows on the CW don't take. Jan 21st is going to be a great night with LoT followed by The 100. 

• Love 3