Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

That was really underwhelming. I could have liked Bucky if they'd given him a bit more personality and screentime in Cap 2, but as it is, it feels like he's way too prominent. I care way more about Avengers mainstays than him.

Not sure this is a good time to introduce Black Panther who isn't that well-known. I mean, I know he's some prince or something from Africa, but I really really don't care enough to see him in this movie.

Edited by FurryFury

I was disappointed by Avengers 2 - Seemed to lack real purpose besides setting up the next block of movies, to me. I was surprised by how much I love CA2, because I'm not that big a fan of Steve Rogers. The trailer was underwhelming but I love Sebastian Stan and Tony Stark, so I'm looking forward to it. 

Isn't Bucky going to take over as Captain America after Steve dies? This is what I've heard from a more hardcore Marvel fan.

• Love 1

I'm still bitter they decided to go with the Civil War storyline. It's not even that I didn't like it in the comics , but so many things about that book can't be used in the movies, because the characters aren't available, and because the relationships are so completely different.

Also, and more importantly: WHERE THE HELL IS MARIA HILL, AND HOW ARE THEY DOING CIVIL WAR WITHOUT HER?

• Love 1

Civil War without the X-Men, without Spider-Man (thought for sure we'd get a glimpse of him in the trailer) and without The New Warriors.

I guess they're using Crossbones to replace the New Warriors/Connecticut disaster? That's the way the leaked Disney Convention trailer made it look.

I get that this trailer focused on Bucky but I don't think CA is doing it just for Bucky (at least I hope not). As an X-Men fan this story should have a far wider reach. Should be about civil liberties and authority over-reach. Should be about a Philosophical Differences tearing The Heroes apart.

All that being said, the trailer looked freaking awesome. The Capt/Bucky beat down of Iron Man looks awesome. Bucky vs T'Challa looks cool, the leaked trailer also had Widow vs Hawkeye which I think is devastating since I adore their friendship. The dialogue between Tony/Steve with he'said my friend, so was I....nearly broke my heart.

Can't wait.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

I think the Captain America: Civil War trailer looks great.  I'm looking forward to that movie much more than Batman vs Superman.

Marvel movies are proof that you can go dark without going gloomy (imo).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I liked it. Because it was focused on Captain America and a continuation from CA: The Winter Solider. With almost all the Avengers in there I thought it was going to be Avengers 2.5. I'm glad that trailer made it seem like it is still the Cap's story. While I didn't like seeing Widow and Hawkeye fighting. I like that after the bonding she and Steve did in the Winter Solider that Natasha is standing by him. 

I am surprised they didn't throw Spider-Man in there, that would've caused this trailer to sky rocket. However I suppose they are trying to keep it as Cap's story not his. 

I get that this trailer focused on Bucky but I don't think CA is doing it just for Bucky (at least I hope not). As an X-Men fan this story should have a far wider reach. Should be about civil liberties and authority over-reach. Should be about a Philosophical Differences tearing The Heroes apart.

That's exactly what I thought it was going to be about and had hoped for that direction. The Bucky aspect just seems so overblown and out-of-place to me. I'm still planning to see it because Marvel has yet to let me down, but I'm confused as to how this is being marketed.

• Love 1

I'm all for a philosophical debate, but this made it seem like everything was coming down to Bucky and that was just...annoying to me I guess?

Like I said, I don't understand the big appeal to the character. I enjoyed him in The First Avenger. However he was the least interesting thing in The Winter Solider for me. I enjoyed the friendship with Nat and Sam a whole lot more.

The authority over-reach portion feels a lot like the plot of the last one. I just need context for everything.

The beat down of Iron Man made me angry with how brutal it looked. And the 'So was I' just punched me in the gut.

Didn't Bucky kill Tony's parents?

• Love 4

Didn't Bucky kill Tony's parents?

I don't think so.  CA:TWS alluded to the fact that Hydra arranged Howard Stark's death but that was supposed to have been a car accident.  TWS was used for outright Assassinations not something covert like faking an accident. 

Howard and Maria Stark were killed in an automobile "accident" secretly arranged by HYDRA on Long Island in 1991, to remove him as an obstacle in their plans. Tony Stark inherited Stark Industries becoming, at age 21, the youngest CEO of a Fortune 500 company.

http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Howard_Stark

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

While I didn't like seeing Widow and Hawkeye fighting. I like that after the bonding she and Steve did in the Winter Solider that Natasha is standing by him.

Hmmm, I think Nat is on Team Tony and Hawkeye is Team Steve. It was the only thing that bugged me when the info about the plot was released. But I think there's potential for her to be playing both sides or trying to keep the peace. I'll hold out hope for that because at this point, her friendships with Cap and Hawkeye are the only relationships I care about in the MCU.

• Love 1

While Nat likes Bruce, she has been afraid of what the Hulk can do. I can see her thinking it's a good idea to have those with powers registered and Moderated. Maybe. Though by who and what kind of power do they have to control what you can do. It scary for both sides.Captain&Bucky lived in a time that Hitler rose to power on that kind of control. But having people with power running around doing what they will? Survival of the fitness means you either manage this before it gets too big or you fight a fight that you can't win. 

I do think it's too early to have this story but it does fit with Caps growing frustration. 

I've always preferred DC over Marvel, so know very little about the Marvel characters other than what I get from the movies and online information. I've not read one Marvel comic in my life and now nothing about the "Civil War" plot.  I'm eager to see this one because I really enjoyed Winter Soldier. I recently rewatched KINGS, totally forgetting that Sebastian Stan was in it and was terrific in it. I hope to see Sebastian flex his chops more in Civil War.

Sidebar: KINGS is GREAT. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and watch it. In fact here is a link to the NBC website that has it's one and only season http://www.nbc.com/classic-tv/kings

That series was so unusual and vastly underrated. Ian McShane was AMAZING as was my queen, Susanna Thompson. along with Sebastian Stan, Eamonn Walker was a bit underused but still wonderful.  I think I was one of the 500 people that watched it real-time on NBC and enjoyed it, but  rewatching it recently reminded me how good it really was. IMO KINGS failed because it was on NBC and was ahead of its time.

• Love 4

Hawkeye being on Capt's side makes total sense to me, his entire home life is kept off the grid.  As far as SHIELD goes his family doesn't exist and until Age of Ultron the only people that knew he had a family were Fury and Natasha.  I can totally see him siding with Captain America about not wanting to be registered and have everything about his life documented/controlled.  

Natasha is a bit harder to pin down.  She's spent most of her life as a spy working for one agency or another.  You would think she'd want the same anonymity as Hawkeye.  However, the events of CA:TWS and AoU could lead themselves to Natasha wanting more oversight. She did just realize that a whole section of her life was a lie.  She thought she left the KGB for something better, something more honorable and it turns out she was working for Hydra.

• Love 3

I'm all for a philosophical debate, but this made it seem like everything was coming down to Bucky and that was just...annoying to me I guess?

Like I said, I don't understand the big appeal to the character. I enjoyed him in The First Avenger. However he was the least interesting thing in The Winter Solider for me. I enjoyed the friendship with Nat and Sam a whole lot more.

I'm not a fan of Bucky either (I blame the emo hair and the tendency for MCU fandom to woobify him). Based on the trailer it looks to me like they're spending the last Captain America movie focusing on Bucky again because, well, Chris Evans is only contracted to do one more movie after this one while Sebastian Stan signed up for 6 MCU movies after Winter Soldier. 

Edited by lemotomato

River has been spoiled for a few weeks now!

I found this interesting: 

And when will River Song work out who the Doctor is?

Makes you wonder from which point in her timeline she is from. is she a young River- how soon after her regeneration is tis? is this before the wedding or after? how close are we to library episode from her perspective. Obviously at this point the only doctor she met has to be 11 if she doesn't recognize him (since river said she has drawings of every one of his faces in her book). So many questions! I can't wait!

EAT:

found this:

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Doctor-Who-Christmas-Special-Take-Place-101457.html

It doesn’t really matter, but for those who care, it’s immediately after “The Angels Take Manhattan.” River’s just seen Matt Smith’s Doctor lose Amy and Rory, and obviously before “The Name of the Doctor” because she’s dead in that.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 1

WTF?  River does now Cower!  River is Badass!

Other than that, yay River Song...I love River Song

No, River doesn't cower...but she might exaggerate her fear to facilitate a bit of touchy feely.  :D

• Love 1

I've always preferred DC over Marvel, so know very little about the Marvel characters other than what I get from the movies and online information. I've not read one Marvel comic in my life and now nothing about the "Civil War" plot.  I'm eager to see this one because I really enjoyed Winter Soldier. I recently rewatched KINGS, totally forgetting that Sebastian Stan was in it and was terrific in it. I hope to see Sebastian flex his chops more in Civil War.

Sidebar: KINGS is GREAT. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and watch it. In fact here is a link to the NBC website that has it's one and only season http://www.nbc.com/classic-tv/kings

That series was so unusual and vastly underrated. Ian McShane was AMAZING as was my queen, Susanna Thompson. along with Sebastian Stan, Eamonn Walker was a bit underused but still wonderful.  I think I was one of the 500 people that watched it real-time on NBC and enjoyed it, but  rewatching it recently reminded me how good it really was. IMO KINGS failed because it was on NBC and was ahead of its time.

I was also one of the 500 people who watched this and I was sad it didn't last.

• Love 2

I'm not a fan of Bucky either (I blame the emo hair and the tendency for MCU fandom to woobify him). Based on the trailer it looks to me like they're spending the last Captain America movie focusing on Bucky again because, well, Chris Evans is only contracted to do one more movie after this one while Sebastian Stan signed up for 6 MCU movies after Winter Soldier. 

I can't STAND Sebastian Stan.  So blech to him probably taking over as CA.

• Love 1

I was also one of the 500 people who watched this and I was sad it didn't last.

Ahhh, Kings, so much potential. Yes, I was one of the 500 who watched it live as well. I loved the supporting cast but thought the lead was a bit blah, as was the LI/princess. That was right after Deadwood ended so I was hoping to get Ian McShane back on my TV regularly. And Susanna Thompson was just sooooo regal. Sebastian Stan as the tortured prince was awesome. 

Anyone here watched Journeyman with Kevin McKidd about a time-traveling journalist? That's the last show whose cancelation I mourned (before that, it was Firefly). It was also on NBC.

• Love 1

For the same reason the Big Bang theory is still on but Wicked City got canceled.. Stupid executives.

Wicked City got a 0.4 in its last airing. On ABC. That's lower than half the CW shows. I think they said it was the lowest rating ever for a show on one of the big four networks. I don't know that executives can be blamed for people just not watching it.

• Love 4

Wicked City got a 0.4 in its last airing. On ABC. That's lower than half the CW shows. I think they said it was the lowest rating ever for a show on one of the big four networks. I don't know that executives can be blamed for people just not watching it.

Yes it had very little ratings, but I think the reason for it lays in the fact that: 1) it premiered long after all the fall shows premiered, like a month and half- so even people who wanted to watch it may have chosen to skip if they had a full viewing schedule (hack I had two other shows that night to watch) or skip watching it live but chose to DVR it or watch it later).

2) They did, imo, the mistake of putting after AoS and opposite NPH variety show and Chicago Fire and the new Limitless (which has gained some nice rating).

3) lack of promotion!! I barely saw any promotion for it.

Also the biggest mistake was airing it on ABC (but that's on to the producers for selling it to them!). Honestly I think given more time it could have been a good Cult show. they should have either premiered it with the rest of the fall schedule, or waited for the winter schedule while all the other shows are on break.

So yea, Stupid executives decisions! plus super wrong place to air it, it would have found a better home on Netflix or Amazon imo. 

Anyone here watched Journeyman with Kevin McKidd about a time-traveling journalist? That's the last show whose cancelation I mourned (before that, it was Firefly). It was also on NBC.

I loved it so much! It was definitely one of the most painful cancellations for me, there was still so much potential in that show!

• Love 2

I loved it so much! It was definitely one of the most painful cancellations for me, there was still so much potential in that show!

*attack hugs you* I haven't found many people who even know the show, so yay! That last scene, though, with his son and the baseball ... ugh, so beautiful. 

Yes it had very little ratings, but I think the reason for it lays in the fact that: 1) it premiered long after all the fall shows premiered, like a month and half- so even people who wanted to watch it may have chosen to skip if they had a full viewing schedule (hack I had two other shows that night to watch) or skip watching it live but chose to DVR it or watch it later).

2) They did, imo, the mistake of putting after AoS and opposite NPH variety show and Chicago Fire and the new Limitless (which has gained some nice rating).

3) lack of promotion!! I barely saw any promotion for it.

Also the biggest mistake was airing it on ABC (but that's on to the producers for selling it to them!). Honestly I think given more time it could have been a good Cult show. they should have either premiered it with the rest of the fall schedule, or waited for the winter schedule while all the other shows are on break.

So yea, Stupid executives decisions! plus super wrong place to air it, it would have found a better home on Netflix or Amazon imo. 

Yeah, I'm going to go with people avoided the very premise of come watch sexy times with serial killers.  In Vegas.  In the Eighties.  Oh and she's a mom!  There was not one thing that made me want to see it and I cheered when it was cancelled.  

If there was anything redeemable about it, well, the advertising failed big time in even hinting that. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4

I love the Fast and Furious franchise. It's mindless fun entertainment. My favorite scene with The Rock was in the last one, when he flexes his giant muscles and busts out of his casts, then crashes a helicopter walks away from that without a scratch, rips off the mounted machine gun and carries it around shooting it. It was completely stupid and impossible but completely awesome. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

I love the Fast and Furious franchise. It's mindless fun entertainment. My favorite scene with The Rock was in the last one, when he flexes his giant muscles and busts out of his casts, then crashes a helicopter walks away from that without a scratch, rips off the mounted machine gun and carries it around shooting it. It was completely stupid and impossible but completely awesome. 

I would believe The Rock could do pretty much anything.  He's even turned into a perfectly good actor.  Not Oscar-worthy or anything, but he's come a long way from his stint in The Mummy and its spinoff.

And yeah, I'm very entertained.  It's all mindless, but super fun, and the violence is pretty cartoonish, which is right up my aisle.

• Love 1

Fast 7 was so bad. I understand why that movie was a mess and I'm still sad over poor Paul Walker.

That being said 4-6 were some great entertainment. Mostly because they actually incorporated Fast and Furious into standard genres. The 4th movie was a straight up revenge flick. The 5th movie was a heist movie and the 6th was just straight up action flick.

I have to say I absolutely loved the 6th movie, even with that ridiculously long runway sequence.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

The 6th one is one of my favorites too. People making fun of how long that runway would have to be is hilarious. 

There is talks of a Hobbs spin off. Vin Diesel is going milk whatever money he can from that franchise. 

Loved both shows but I've mourned the cancelation of many before and since, including:

- Better Off Ted

- My Own Worst Enemy

- Pushing Daisies

- New Amsterdam

- Kindred: The Embraced (I was so sad when Mark Frankel died)

- Everwood

- Jack and Bobby

- The Newsroom

- Dead Like Me

- Life Unexpected

- Eli Stone

- Deception

- NY-LON

- The Nine

- Missing

- Side Order of Life

- Mister Sterling

- Ed

- The Riches

- Once & Again

- The Unusuals

Fortunately, I own most of them except for NY-LON, Ed, Mr. Sterling, and the third season of Once & Again

Better off Ted was hilarious, so much better than The Office. I still laugh every single time I re-watch the series. It's a shame it never caught on, it was brilliant.

Dead Like Me (2 seasons) had such a great and different premise and it's sad it was only canceled because Showtime wanted to go in a different direction not because it wasn't doing well in the ratings. Pushing Daisies (2 seasons) another great series along with Wonderfalls (1 season). All three were Bryan Fuller created series (although he left Dead Like Me after 1 season, it was still his idea). They were all such unique shows told in a different way that I guess people weren't use to it.

I enjoyed The Unusuals with Jeremy Renner before he became an Avenger. The Riches was pretty good too, it was interesting to see a show about grifter family.

Firefly would have to be on my list as well. One of my favorite Whedon shows.

Although most of these shows can continue being great because they didn't live on air long enough to be ruined. So there is Pros and Cons to it. I would've liked to learn more about the characters in those shows but I wouldn't want it to get a point where everything got stupid just because the Networks couldn't let go of the show.

• Love 2

*attack hugs you* I haven't found many people who even know the show, so yay! That last scene, though, with his son and the baseball ... ugh, so beautiful. 

*attack hugs you back* :)))) Seriously, I almost cried at the interview with the creators on the dvd where they mentioned what ideas they had for the back 9 eps/second season... Dan getting to meet old Livia in the present? Accidentally taking Katie back in time with him? We were robbed of sooooo much...

• Love 1