Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

in the season 8 opener of Castle when he broke the zip ties holding him to the chair and attacked the bad guy, just as Oliver did in the pilot episode, I wondered if the Castle and Arrow writers had been sharing a mind.  Then Beckett pushed Castle away because being with her would put him in to much danger, just as Oliver did to Felicity for 1 1/2 seasons.  If we find out that Felicity's father left because he didn't want to put Donna and Felicity in danger from the bad guys, I'll be convinced of it.

I think Castle is just running out of ideas. I feel like they are gonna start mining from a lot of different shows. The new showrunner is probably just trying to reestablish the new identity of the show, while borrowing heavily from other shows.

• Love 1

I would hope that the fact that they are new showrunners means that they could come with some ideas of their own rather than have to steal from other shows. Oh well.

For those who miss Eddie, Rick Cosnett is going to start his role on Quantico in the next episode.  He plays a gay computer genius.  (Speaking of stealing from other shows.....)

• Love 1

Agree about the Castle showrunners. But I will give them time. I have too much invested in the characters at this point. Also whatever scripts they throw at them, the acting usually always rises above it - so I think the audience will be in good hands.

But THANK YOU for making my day about Rick Cosnett!! Forgot he was going to be on Quantico, for some reason I thought he was going to a NBC show. He was one of my favs from FLASH. Still mad they killed him, especially now that they are basically making me watch 3 hours of TV every week just to know about the characters I care about.

• Love 1

So completely random.... but actresses Moira Kelly & Lizzy Caplan could have been separated at birth. They are so visually like each other and even have a similar voice. They really should try to do a project together.

Edited by kismet

I hear a lot about Nathan and Stana hating each other. Does anyone know where that came from?

I still think it's overblown gossip.  For the longest time all I ever heard was how great of friends everyone was and how great an environment they had on the set and then the actors started renegotiating contracts (more time off, storylines ect) and suddenly there was talk of conflict.  I think it might just be a case of Stana wanting to move on in her career and being bored with the storylines and she and Nathan were co-leads but rather than splitting the workload, it meant they were both working as many hours as SA does.  In recent seasons there seems to be more of a give and take and I think those kind of changes trigger rumors.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

For those who miss Eddie, Rick Cosnett is going to start his role on Quantico in the next episode.  He plays a gay computer genius.  (Speaking of stealing from other shows.....)

Yay! I had forgotten. I liked the premiere for the most part, so I'm excited to see him on the show.

I hear a lot about Nathan and Stana hating each other. Does anyone know where that came from?

I don't watch Castle, but I remember hearing about an incident during the first season where Nathan called her out on set about being rude and not treating the crew professionally. It's been so long that I could be getting some of the details wrong. From everything I heard, she acknowledged his criticism was valid and they moved on from that incident. 

Thanks for the replies. I tried finding something online but all I got were forums or comments sections talking about how they hate each other and awkwardness between them. And one forum said that Fillion is the devil, one didn't like Stana.

Basically, I got nothing.

I don't watch Castle, but I remember hearing about an incident during the first season where Nathan called her out on set about being rude and notreating the crew professionally. It's been so long that I could be getting some of the details wrong. From everything I heard, she acknowledged his criticism was valid and they moved on from that incident. 

That was a blind item and shown not to apply to NF and SK.  The other cast members have always said nice things about her.   I think the fact that they hardly ever do interviews together other than print contributes to the rumors that they hate each other. I've never seen any hard evidence to substantiate it.  I remember a joint interview from about season 3 or 4 and they were very cute together, teasing and having fun.  (Of course, they are actors.)  They both have charities that they started (literacy for Nathan, public transit for Stana).

Also, Stana got married on 25 April 2015 and did a movie over the summer (which is why the first episode was from Castle's POV) so it's understandable that she might want to have less time shooting the show..

• Love 2

Thanks for the replies. I tried finding something online but all I got were forums or comments sections talking about how they hate each other and awkwardness between them. And one forum said that Fillion is the devil, one didn't like Stana.

Basically, I got nothing.

I feel like I've heard rumors about them not being the best of friends. Like @statsgirl, I haven't heard anything that really substantiates those rumors. I haven't heard anything about unprofessionalism on the set, at least not in recent years. Her negotiations seemed to take awhile for this season, but that could be for a million reasons that have nothing to do with him. My guess is it was probably more monetary than anything else. Or perhaps she might want a few more breaks or time-off from set. They have onscreen chemistry, so whatever process they do to overcome any complications it works on the screen. So I send them my appreciation.

8 years is a long time to be on a show and they do have to spend a lot of time together filming, so maybe they just need a breather for a season. Basically for the last 7 years they have had to shot almost every scene together. That's a lot of together time even if they are best of friends. There are some co-workers that I need a break from every now and then, without it even being a job that I have to work very closely with them on a daily basis. Plus it might be an interesting season to see what they are like apart, so long as they do better than that ridiculous Castle kidnapping & her DC job that lasted for a hot second.  

• Love 2

On Sleepy Hollow, I find myself shipping Ichabod with Jenny.  I liked the actress when she was on Nikita, so that could be why.  I don't know, but I wonder what the show is doing because it looks next week, 

a potential love interest for Abby might be introduced?

Also, I'm sad that Tom Mison no longer wears his wig in present-day scenes.  I prefer the long hair on him and it was a good wig :(

Also, I'm sad that Tom Mison no longer wears his wig in present-day scenes. I prefer the long hair on him and it was a good wig :(

True that. Arrow should've gotten tips from the Sleepy Hollow hair department when it comes to wigs. I actually only find Tom Mison attractive as Ichabod with long hair. Outside of that, I find his looks rather unremarkable. Nicole Beharie, on the other hand, is gorgeous on and off screen.

They are rebooting MacGyer. I'm excited and terrified.

But I don't want freshman MacGyer. I want Supernatural to end and Jensen Ackles to be MacGyer.

When Supernatural ends,(it's never going to end)  if Jensen Ackles doesn't become Indiana Jones or the next Batman or the next Captain America......man....I'll be pissed off. 

Chris Evans is Captain America. I just can't accept anyone after him.

I love the idea of Chris Pratt as Indiana, but I wouldn't be disappointed at all with Jensen. He would be so good. Either one of those guys could erase the memory of Shia.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 2

JA would be the perfect MacGyver!

Anyhow, I've been binge-watching Daredevil finally. It's a little too graphic for me - and the oft-focus on the villains are a little bit of a snore, but it's been a relatively entertaining way to spend my last week before Arrow and Flash start back. (I'm not all that interested in any of the new fall shows and I've been dropping returning shows like flies- Scandal and Castle are already gone from the DVR.)

As for DD, I especially enjoy the Rosario Dawson character every time she shows up, and my understanding is she will 'float' on the other MCU shows, as well, which will probably cause me to tune into those.

Anyway, I like DD. It's a very different show than Arrow, and it will probably never be my favorite because it's just all a little too much violence, blood and guts. But I can see why people recommend it - especially if they are into grittier fare.

ETA. I realize that many people enjoy the villain portrayals in DD - especially Kingpin. They just take me out of the narrative some- and they go on too long for my liking.

Edited by WaitandHope
  • Love 1

The reboot is going to follow a 20-something MacGyver - so likely no Jensen Ackles (but note the Supernatural connection)...

Based on the Richard Dean Anderson starrer that ran for seven seasons on ABC, the CBS take is described as a reimagining of the television series of the same name, following a 20-something MacGyver as he gets recruited into a clandestine organization where he uses his knack for solving problems in unconventional ways to help prevent disasters from happening.
The original series ran for seven seasons and 139 episodes, spanning two TV movies on ABC in 1994. Producers Paramount Television attempted a spin-off series, Young MacGyver — starring Supernatural's Jared Padalecki — but that did not move forward.

CBS Rebooting 'MacGyver' for TV With James Wan

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/macgyver-cbs-reboot-james-wan-829154

Edited by tv echo

Amy Berg was teasing the MacGyver thing on Twitter last night, saying it should be MacGyver's niece, played by Felicia Day... and now I'm crying over the lost opportunity.

A female lead action show!! *gasp* don't be silly, female lead action shows always fail.. ohh Alias and Nikita are the exception. no no, this must be a guy lead show.

- insert my eye roll-

• Love 2

The CW previously tried to launch a young-Macgyver reboot with Jared Padelecki. The pilot is a must see for hilarity purposes.

Amy Berg was teasing the MacGyver thing on Twitter last night, saying it should be MacGyver's niece, played by Felicia Day... and now I'm crying over the lost opportunity.

How dare you put that thought in my head. She could be a mixture of Charlie and Veronica Mars.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 2

They really need to start changing that. Most people are starting to stream or they do watch later because they have other things to do when the shows air.

It'd also the younger audience now will grow up streaming even more.

Agreed. The CW already puts way less weight into live ratings than the other 4 networks, but they still aren't completely independent of them for budget and marketing decisions.

And it's quite funny to see an entire crop of new high-tech procedurals [blindspot, The Player, Minority Report, Limitless], clearly aimed at a younger demo, on top of the avalanche of superheroes... and still the main measurement is the one that reflects the way a MUCH older demo watches tv.

Agreed. The CW already puts way less weight into live ratings than the other 4 networks, but they still aren't completely independent of them for budget and marketing decisions.

And it's quite funny to see an entire crop of new high-tech procedurals [blindspot, The Player, Minority Report, Limitless], clearly aimed at a younger demo, on top of the avalanche of superheroes... and still the main measurement is the one that reflects the way a MUCH older demo watches tv.

which is why you often see shows that we popular with the younger audience and not the older ones get canceled, the younger audience watched them online and the older didn't watch them at all.

Well unfortunately advertising still pays the bills, and until they can get advertisers to pay for online viewers like they do for live viewers, we're probably stuck with the current model. I think it may eventually move that way? But my impression is that right now advertisers aren't yet willing to pay the same rates for online as they are for live TV. So that's why the live ratings are still the most important.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

I think there might be shifts both ways -- advertisers becoming more willing to pay big bucks for streaming, but before that, I think live TV is gonna go more and more "live event". I don't mean they'll go back to airing live shows, but more of the Empire/GoT/Shondaland type shows that you feel like you have to see live, or else you're not part of the zeitgeist. The big push in making Twitter be the place to talk about TV is part of that, even.

• Love 1

Felicia Day can't act, she just plays herself in everything. Keep her as far away from MacGyver as possible. MacGyver didn't have siblings so a neice or nephew wouldn't work for me. However, they could do the reboot on Mac's son or depending on the age, his Grandson?

I agree with both of you. I think Day does play the same character in like everything. But I enjoy that character so...I'm okay with it.

Grandson..I think. I just don't want him too young.

• Love 1

Felicia Day can't act, she just plays herself in everything. Keep her as far away from MacGyver as possible. MacGyver didn't have siblings so a neice or nephew wouldn't work for me. However, they could do the reboot on Mac's son or depending on the age, his Grandson?

Why not Granddaughter?

Moving some of the discussion from Golden Arrow, did anyone ship Danny and Lindsey from CSI:NY?

The end of 3x02. When Danny is rushing into the smoke filled apartment to make sure she is okay. That moment still gets me.

• Love 1

I've been thinking about this, and I'm just realizing how terrible my memory is, because I can't think of many specific moments for the couples I've shipped. The Camelot kiss for LoVe for sure, but I'm having a hard time coming up with more than that.

ETA: thought of a few more...

- Eleven/River ghost kiss in The Name of the Doctor.

- John holding Aeryn as she cries in (I think) The Way We Weren't. Also the "you can be more" scene in the first episode.

- Densi motorcycle kiss.

- Spike's speech to Buffy in Touched.

Edited by Starfish35

Moving some of the discussion from Golden Arrow, did anyone ship Danny and Lindsey from CSI:NY?

YESSSS.

I also think it's the single case of cheating that didn't turn me off a 'ship, and I give them props for walking that one back in a dignified manner.

I've been thinking about this, and I'm just realizing how terrible my memory is, because I can't think of many specific moments for the couples I've shipped. The Camelot kiss for LoVe for sure, but I'm having a hard time coming up with more than that.

For Logan/Veronica, I think the most memorable moments were the Camelot kiss and the "lives ruined, blood shed, *epic*" scene.

I have more trouble remembering the couples I shipped rather than the moments. Interesting couples usually determine whether I stick with a show or not.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 2

Same. I was so angry, but they got me back.

I think it helped that it wasn't a one conversation fix and it really took time. That was a not so great period for them, but as a couple they achieved such a good balance of being there for each other.

I don't stop shipping something, but I've much more into my current ship. Olicity is that for me so all their moments stick out to me right now. Thinking about it now more are popping up, but it took a hot moment (pun intended).

Some Chlark.

Some Chlollie - Warrior anyone? Sporks?

Klaroline - Show Me

Slexie - They had the best love declarations and the kiss at the bar (I will never forgive them for killing them off. They were both leaving. Give them a happy ending!)

Edited by 10Eleven12

Every time Greg Berlanti tweets asking people to watch his shows live, I'm reminded that live ratings still mean a whole lot to Hollywood, and more than they mean to media commentators [both pro and fandom].

https://twitter.com/GBerlanti/statuses/650335049154334721

But how does this help unless you are hooked up to the Nielsen boxes?  Most eyeballs don't even count.

The only way they can get away from being tethered to the demos is by going away from earning their money through advertising. 

..... I don't remember that one. *facepalm*. Memory like Swiss cheese, I'm telling you. :(

It even gets reprised in the recent movie.  Tsk, tsk.  Hang your head. 

Two of my favourite shippy momemts:

John Crichton telling Aeryon "You can be more."  It's not overt shippy but it shows how he believed in her and that gets me every time.

In Babylon 5 Severed Dreams when the Earth bad guys are about destroy that station and Delenn shows up with the Mimbari fleet:  "There is only one man who has been able to destroy a Mimbari starship. He is behind me. You are in front of me.  If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

• Love 1

If it's any consolation, I only remember 'shippy moments if I've read enough fic about the pairing, or if I made fanart out of the scenes. Then it's like it gets PRINTED INTO MY EYELIDS, because of the amount of time spent staring at it on Photoshop.

:)

• Love 1

I haven't seen the movie yet. *hides face*

I know, more shame.

You still get points for the initial recognition of greatness.  :D

John Crichton telling Aeryon "You can be more."  It's not overt shippy but it shows how he believed in her and that gets me every time.

Nice.  Which makes me think of a totally different pairing.

I still love Daniel and Vala (I know - controversy!) from Stargate SG-1.  I could probably list every tiny look and touch.  Their meet cute was her kidnapping him as she steals a spaceship escalating into a hilarious but painful looking hand to hand fight that after she beats him up, she asks if they were done (he admits he was) and then such lovely smooches -(well, before he calls her a fruit cake, she head butts him, and he zats her (stun gun) and retakes control of the ship.)  She gets tossed in the brig but escapes (to his admiration) only to track him down a year later where she annoys the living daylights out of him but for all his protestations, all I could see was that he was alive as a character in a way I hadn't seen in years.  Two wrongs making a right.  Perfectly imperfect for each other.  At least got an alternative time line episode where they were together madly in love for fifty plus years.  Happy sigh.