Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

i'm gonna try and keep my shows to 5 top 6 at a time.. Arrow, Flash, Gotham, Dr.who, Downtown Abbey (since it seems this season will be good), Aos. Agent Carter will replace AoS on winter hiatus I assume, and Lot will replace DA and Dr.who.

everything else will be binged watched come fall break. school comes first.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 2

From the looks of it so far I might not be adding any new shows to my current line up. I'm giving Blindspot a couple more episodes, but other than that I don't feel like checking out any other new shows this fall season. LoT is the only new midseason show I want to watch. 

Scream Queens opened with a 1.7 in the first hour and dropped to a 1.6 in the second, which is not good. 

Edited by Sakura12

Will Watch:  Agent Carter, Agents of SHIELD, Arrow, Gotham, Once Upon a Time, Orphan Black, Person of Interest, Sleepy Hollow, Supergirl, The Walking Dead, The X-Files (and Vixen, if it qualifies as a 'show')

Will-Might Watch?:  Fear the Walking Dead, Flash, Legends of Tomorrow

Might Watch:  Blacklist, Blindspot, Castle, Doctor Who, Elementary, Fresh Off the Boat, Hawaii Five-O, Heroes Reborn, The Muppets, Project Runway, Quantico, The Voice, Top Chef

Wish I Could Watch: Daredevil, Game of Thrones

Edited by tv echo

Will watch: AoS, Agent Carter, Flash, Elementary, Gotham, Orphan Black, Supergirl, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Episodes, Bates Motel, Penny Dreadful, AHS: Hotel, Better Call Saul, Banshee, iZombie, The 100 and Legends of Tomorrow. Netflix shows: Daredevil, Grace and Frankie, Sense8 and Jessica Jones.

Will partially watch: Arrow

Watching for now: Blindspot

For those unsure about checking out Gotham again, here's a trailer about the villains of this season. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxXJ9lsKMYQ

Scream Queens is a mess and I love it. I haven't watched the second episode yet, and I definitely have the feeling it will wear thin soon, but for now it's just what I need, even if Roberts and Curtis are the only people in the cast who have made an impression on me. I quite liked their scene together, but judging from that one episode there's not nearly enough JLC!

The second hour was definitely funnier than the first.  It's not for me since I can't watch a show long term if I don't connect to any of the characters and I don't see that changing on Scream Queens.  I liked the soundtrack though. 

Got around to watching Blindspot, and holy crap they need to replace the main male FBI agent.  He talks really fast, mumbles a lot, and doesn't enunciate, so sometimes it takes a second to figure out what he is even saying.  Plus, I'm just not feeling anything between him and Jaimie Alexander's character, and unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the show is going to try to make something happen there.  Quite a few people in the Blindspot forum have mentioned that he was good in Strike Back, so I don't know what's going on here.  

Anyone watch Limitless?  I was going to, but it just looks really boring, so I'm not sure that I even want to bother.  I'll be checking out Heroes Reborn tonight, but I wasn't happy to see Mohinder in the commercials.  I had my fill of him in the first go around, I think.

I've gone back and forth. I loved the first season, and I love Zachary Levi. Plus no Sylar - major bonus. On the other hand, I dropped the show pretty early in season two with no regrets, and I'm not sure how much of those three seasons you need to know to follow what's going on. And after reading Alan Sepinwall's review yesterday, I think I'm coming down on the No side.

ETA: Here's the link to that review, if anyone's interested.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-heroes-stumbles-back-to-life-with-heroes-reborn-miniseries

Edited by Starfish35

think I actually watched all the Heroes seasons.  I say "think" because I thought there were two seasons, and there were apparently four, so who knows?   All I remember are some carni people.  I hope we're not expected to remember anything from before because...yeah...that's not going to happen.  I'm only watching because of Zachary Levi, so if it sucks, I may be out.  

• Love 2

think I actually watched all the Heroes seasons.  I say "think" because I thought there were two seasons, and there were apparently four, so who knows?   All I remember are some carni people.  I hope we're not expected to remember anything from before because...yeah...that's not going to happen.  I'm only watching because of Zachary Levi, so if it sucks, I may be out.  

Pretty sure you did. That's my recollection of the show as well. The carnies plot destroyed the show, well that and a lot of the last season characterizations. Anyway, when I looked online, it appears they have "4 seasons" because they split the original 2 seasons into volumes that were about 13 episodes based on a theme. So there are really 4 volumes, but because they had splits in when they aired, its seems like they might be referring to them as different seasons now.

I'm watching primarily for Zachary Levi. Although I'm gonna give the show a chance to see if they can reignite that magic they had in s1. They brought back some of the better cast (Hiro, HRG) & they got the actor that played Pan on OUAT (and he was really good in that) - so I feel like it has potential. Also as much as I loved the Petrellis, the cheerleader & Sylar - I felt like they ran those plots into the ground and made them far too soapy or angst filled. I'm on the fence about Mohinder, because initially I enjoyed him & then they destroyed his character, so we'll see how he is in this new run.

• Love 1

I never even made it all the way through the first season of Heroes. I just did not understand the adoration for that show at all. It was a scattered mess from the beginning, in my opinion. I mean, if you can't get me to like a superhero show then something is seriously wrong. I thought the show took itself a bit too seriously and there just wasn't a big fun factor for me. I mean I watched all ten seasons of Smallville and Arrow season three so it's clear that I don't have impossible standards or anything, but nine episodes and I was done.

I was tempted to check out season two because I was going through Veronica Mars withdrawals and they hired Kristen Bell, but by the time I was willing to watch they'd already killed her off so I decided against that.

Yep, at least three (maybe more) major hits that have gotten major airway play in the last 3 summers. Plus their new album I think did well on the charts. They had late night tv show gigs & had a national tour. They even made it back onto pop & rock radio stations promotional materials. TV stations & sports use their new songs for promos. They are back.

Thanks for explaining. I really know nothing about pop music that makes the charts. :)

Thanks for explaining. I really know nothing about pop music that makes the charts. :)

No problem. :) I tend to listen to the radio and channel surf a lot. So when a certain band or song makes it across the numerous different genre stations I listen to, I know something is up and has become mainstream again. And then I got curious, because I thought Fall-Out Boy had died - I was a little taken back by their resurgence. But I guess the old adage is true whatever is old will become new again, whatever is new will become old and the circle continues. It was also ironic because I was rewatching s1 earlier in the year, when their song was getting a lot of play so when OQ mentions the band it wasn't as funny a name-drop mention as it was when the episode first aired. It kinda felt like the ARROW writers were ahead of the curve for the trendy game, which is odd for them from a music standpoint.

• Love 1

At least I'm aware of my music snobbery? But I can't help it, I likes what I likes. I tend to only listen to my own collection --and I pretty much always have headphones on if I'm out. Also, I'm old and I don't even listen to music on shuffle because I believe records [hi, I call them records] should be listened to in the order the ~artiste~ planned those songs to be listened to. Heh.

• Love 2

It helps that Fallout Boy has almost completely changed their sound.

I'm a music snob to, but a bad one. Half my collection is indie crap that no one has heard of while the other half is pop garbage that I'll blast with absolutely no shame.

• Love 2

The lack of decently made albums is really a shame in modern music. I'm not even that old, and I can remember a time when musicians really tried to make albums and build/tell a story or message. Now they are just a bunch of hits thrown together with a bunch of filler. Or worst yet, its like listening to the same song over and over again.

At work, I tend to listen to a lot of Pandora because the radio stations just don't switch up their CD tracks anymore. And 12hrs of listening to the same 20 songs gets really boring, no matter what genre it is. I think that is one of the reasons, I do like listening to the radio or shuffle. If the musicians aren't going to bother putting together whole albums, then at least I can listen to all the best ones across a broad spectrum of sounds, themes and genres. It's very rare that you can buy an album and listen to it from beginning to end these days and get a good experience. And that is a shame! :(

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

The lack of decently made albums is really a shame in modern music. I'm not even that old, and I can remember a time when musicians really tried to make albums and build/tell a story or message. Now they are just a bunch of hits thrown together with a bunch of filler. Or worst yet, its like listening to the same song over and over again.

Yeah, I guess pop music doesn't really do concept albums anymore, but the indie scene still does it all the time. It really depends on what you're into? But two of my favorite albums of all time are full on opera-like concept albums that were released in a post-iTunes universe: The Decemberists' The Hazards of Love, and Anaïs Mitchell's Hadestown.

When I saw her at the Emmys the other day, I thought she looked really similar to the last time she was pregnant, and I wondered if she might be. But I certainly didn't expect it to be Ben McKenzie's baby! Did anyone know they were dating?

• Love 1

I do not know how they do it, but literally almost every episode & at least every major episode of How to Get Away with Murder owns the last 5 minutes. Seriously, there are so many WTF, OMG & absolute crazy moments - I just can't describe it. But I feel like it is starting to ruin my watching of TV because HTGAWM is setting the bar so high on plot twists and gotchas. It may burn itself out in another season or two, but right now its delivering the mind-blowing crazy consistently.

• Love 1

I wonder how much of that is because you don't have to buy a whole album any more, you can just download the songs you like, so composers try to write Big Songs or copy another hit.

Some of my favorite songs are ones that came with the album that I bought for another song and I had to listen to them a few times before I realized how much I loved them. If I only downloaded the hits, I would have missed out on them.

• Love 2

Finally got around to watching Blindspot. I wasn't wowed, but I'll give it a few episodes. I like Jaimie Alexander's character, but I agree that Sullivan Stapleton is pretty dull. I haven't seen him in anything else, so I'll have to take people's word for it that he's been good in other things. Here I constantly felt like he was doing a bad Steve McGarrett impression, and I felt no chemistry at all between the two of them, even though I kept feeling like I was supposed to. They were not at all subtle about who their main couple is intended to be. :(

• Love 3

So, I ended up giving Heroes: Reborn a go, despite bailing on the original series after two seasons.  Not a huge fan of the premiere, but it had enough for me to give it a few more episodes.  But I was totally unspoiled going in, so 

I totally was not prepared for Zachary Levi to be playing a guy who hunts down and kill Evos, for what happened to his son. It was jarring seeing Chuck be that cold and brutal!

Right now, almost all the new shows I gave a try haven't wowed me.  Each one has things I like, but others I didn't, so I'm curious to see how it will all end up.  What I've been finding weird though is that a ton of them seem to be similar in ways were it feels repetitive.  I mean, there are still differences that separate them, but between Blindspot, The Player, Minority Report, and Limitless, I'm kind of overdosing on "stopping crimes before they happen!" themes.

• Love 1

Finally got around to watching Blindspot. I wasn't wowed, but I'll give it a few episodes. I like Jaimie Alexander's character, but I agree that Sullivan Stapleton is pretty dull. I haven't seen him in anything else, so I'll have to take people's word for it that he's been good in other things. Here I constantly felt like he was doing a bad Steve McGarrett impression, and I felt no chemistry at all between the two of them, even though I kept feeling like I was supposed to. They were not at all subtle about who their main couple is intended to be. :(

Since his name is actually tattooed across her back, it would be awkward for her to end up with someone else :P

• Love 1

And then I got curious, because I thought Fall-Out Boy had died - I was a little taken back by their resurgence. But I guess the old adage is true whatever is old will become new again, whatever is new will become old and the circle continues. It was also ironic because I was rewatching s1 earlier in the year, when their song was getting a lot of play so when OQ mentions the band it wasn't as funny a name-drop mention as it was when the episode first aired. It kinda felt like the ARROW writers were ahead of the curve for the trendy game, which is odd for them from a music standpoint.

I still crack up about Oliver asking Thea if Fallout Boy had gotten cool again and her saying they never were.  The timing of that was hilarious.

• Love 1

So, I ended up giving Heroes: Reborn a go, despite bailing on the original series after two seasons.  Not a huge fan of the premiere, but it had enough for me to give it a few more episodes.  But I was totally unspoiled going in,

so 

I totally was not prepared for Zachary Levi to be playing a guy who hunts down and kill Evos, for what happened to his son. It was jarring seeing Chuck be that cold and brutal!

I was burned by the original Heroes, which I initially loved, so I watched last night. And that's the last episode of Heroes Reborn I'll be watching. Even Jack Coleman, who I actually liked, and Zachary Levi, who I adore, were not enough to save it for me. I couldn't stand Levi's character's wife - she was just awful, from her characterization to her acting. Bleah.

And apparently on this show, homicidal maniacs can only be played by actors whose first name is Zachary.

Heroes Reborn was better than I expected, but that's not to say I thought it was great because my expectations were quite low.  It has promise, but I hated its use of cliches.

The tediously repeated "it's coming" was an obvious ploy to keep viewers tuned in each week and will inevitably culminate in a disappointing big reveal. The anime-styled Japanese girl was another stereotype and her ending up in a 3D videogame was a bit jarring and seemed out of place (but another obvious ploy to attract the youth demo).  She and the fan boy who tracked her down are maybe the new Hiro and Ando pairing? I didn't like Noah Bennett before and he's center stage now.  And how can Claire be dead? I thought she had an indestructible body.  I hated, HATED Zachary Levi's character.  He and his wife lost their son, so now they're going around killing innocent Evos.  If they end up doing a redemption arc for him, I'm done.  However, I did like the teen boy (played by the guy who was Peter Pan in OUAT?) and the red headed girl (Molly?) and thought their stories were intriguing.

So I'll probably keep watching, at least for now.  This is clearly NBC's 'superhero' show without superheros. 

Now we've got Evos (Heroes Reborn), Inhumans (Agents of SHIELD) and Metahumans (Flash, Arrow, LoT), not to mention supernormal or psychic abilities on Supergirl, Minority Report and Limitless.  Now I hear we may be getting an X-Men tv show, so we can add Mutants to that list.

Edited by tv echo

I heard about Claire being dead, which makes no sense. Her entire power was not being able to die. I get that Hayden wasn't coming back but she could've just run off somewhere. Killing her takes away the power she had. 

I read a recap and it sounded awful so I don't think I will be checking it out. Season 3 and 4 of Heroes was a mess and this one seem to be continuing that trend. 

She could die though, the whole plotline of S1 was save the cheerleader, save the world.

ow I hear we may be getting an X-Men tv show, so we can add Mutants to that list.

Has something happened recently? FOX needs Marvel to sign-off on the TV rights and I'm hoping they make Fantastic Four characters part of the exchange Edited by Morrigan2575

I believe Fox is still negotiating with Marvel for an X-Men live action tv series...

FOX SEEKS MARVEL’S APPROVAL FOR AN X-MEN TV SERIES.
August 14, 2015 David Roberts

http://www.entertainlynx.com/fox-seeks-marvels-approval-for-an-x-men-tv-series/

At the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills,  Fox, network co-chairman Dana Walden said

“We’re in negotiations with Marvel, We’re hopeful that we’ll be able to announce something soon. It’s something we’re definitely pursuing.”

Edited by tv echo

Yeah, that was the last I heard. I'm hoping the Fantastic Four 2015 bombing at the box office, gives Marvel even more negotiating power. Get all the Fantastic Four characters back to Marvel, I want Silver Surfer, Galactus and Dr Doom in Infinity Wars.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Related to that, there's this:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/empire-premiere-gets-13-million-826950

I find the relationship between Twitter and TV fascinating, really. And I find the fact that Hollywood feeds into it even more interesting.

Plus, it's kinda funny how Twitter challenged the role of pro entertainment media in bridging the info between creatives and fans, and how a lot of pro media folks hilariously resents fandom for that.

I do not know how they do it, but literally almost every episode & at least every major episode of How to Get Away with Murder owns the last 5 minutes. Seriously, there are so many WTF, OMG & absolute crazy moments - I just can't describe it. But I feel like it is starting to ruin my watching of TV because HTGAWM is setting the bar so high on plot twists and gotchas. It may burn itself out in another season or two, but right now its delivering the mind-blowing crazy consistently.

Oh good! I had friends over last night so I couldn't watch out. Glad to know I won't be disappointed.

• Love 1

Jessica Jones feels like the only fall show I'm guaranteed to like. Unless there's too much rape which I'm afraid of.

Well, there's also Homeland, I actually liked the last season a lot and I still have a soft spot for Carrie (yeah, yeah, I know, but as a fellow person with a mental disorder - even if mine is much more benign - I still can't help but feel for her). All the new shows are so meh and my favorites only return next year.

Got around to watching the premiere of Heroes Reborn and I've got to admit I wasn't impressed. It felt very slow, and in many ways it dragged. I also fell asleep in the 2nd hour and I'm not sure if I will go back & actually watch it or just read the recaps. OH and I hate the Zachary Levi is a bad guy, I'm still holding out that he will switch sides. But his wife, though she is a piece of work - don't really like her at all.

That being said, I will give it a few more episodes. I was really looking for the return of Heroes, so I can't give up on it just because it was a little slow from the start gate. I feel like they are laying the groundwork & giving the characters background. They are setting up a solid base. I feel like that took a few episodes to lay out in the first run of the series, but once that was set the story took off. So I will give it more time, but it definitely was not the amazing premiere I had been hoping for.

Got around to watching the premiere of Heroes Reborn and I've got to admit I wasn't impressed. It felt very slow, and in many ways it dragged. I also fell asleep in the 2nd hour and I'm not sure if I will go back & actually watch it or just read the recaps. OH and I hate the Zachary Levi is a bad guy, I'm still holding out that he will switch sides. But his wife, though she is a piece of work - don't really like her at all.

That being said, I will give it a few more episodes. I was really looking for the return of Heroes, so I can't give up on it just because it was a little slow from the start gate. I feel like they are laying the groundwork & giving the characters background. They are setting up a solid base. I feel like that took a few episodes to lay out in the first run of the series, but once that was set the story took off. So I will give it more time, but it definitely was not the amazing premiere I had been hoping for.

Yeah, I had pretty much the same reaction though I actually fell asleep during the first half and so finished the second hour a day later.  I guess I am interested in Noah Bennett and a tiny bit the kid that has the make it vanish power and Mr. Penny for your thoughts is intriguing but nothing was really compelling and I rolled my eyes hard at the need to save the world...again. 

I'm also hoping for Zachary Levi to switch sides.  It's almost worse that he seems remorseful at what he's doing.  Took me into the second half before I figured out that his partner in crime was his wife.  They were so cold to each other.  Not a fan that their partnership is divided between her being the drive and him being the brain.  Something about it just rubbed me the wrong way.  I think that they actually stopped and spelled it out like I couldn't figure it out on my own. 

Miko made me miss Katsu when I watched but then I read this interview http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/25/heroes-reborn-kiki-sukezane-interview  and suddenly had a lot more respect for her role.  The actress actually is doing the sword fighting in the game (motion capture) and has been training for half a dozen years. 

The actors are so enthusiastic I want it to turn into something great but so far it feels more like work trying to get to know all the characters. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

There's a Blood Moon eclipse today (next one in 2033) .  There's a whole bunch of people in my local park and after a cloudless sky all day, it's now got so cloudy there's nothing to see.  Grrrr.

Overheard:  I could have seen this at home.

At least the dogs are having a party.

• Love 2