Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I forgot about Galavant, I'm looking forward to that one too. I'll probably watch the Flash and am only watching Arrow for Sara's return. I've also noticed the shows I'm looking forward to the most don't start until midseason or sometime in 2016, (the 100, LoT, Agent Carter and Galavant)

I agree, none of the new shows look that appealing. I watched Blindspot because it was on last night and nothing else has started yet. 

At some point I'll check out Blindspot for Sullivan Stapleton and The Player for Philip Winchester because I'm having serious Strike Back withdrawal. I loved that dumb show. I already miss Scott's and Stonebridge's shenanigans and bromance.

• Love 1

At some point I'll check out Blindspot for Sullivan Stapleton and The Player for Philip Winchester because I'm having serious Strike Back withdrawal. I loved that dumb show. I already miss Scott's and Stonebridge's shenanigans and bromance.

Unfortunately, Sullivan Stapleton is duller than dull on Blindspot. He must've used up all of his charisma on Strike Back.

I haven't been paying that much attention to the new fall shows but I did really enjoy the Lucifer pilot. Tom Ellis (Rush) has charisma to spare. And I love Thomas Sadoski so I have high hopes for Life In Pieces, which I haven't had a chance to watch yet.

Definitely excited most about The X-Files and I also cannot wait for the new Luther series to return!. *high fives catrox14*

Besides Arrow, The Walking Dead, and Agent Carter, I'm not all that interested in a lot of returning shows.

I'm definitely going to check out Supergirl though. I thought about watching Blindspot but NBC did such a fabulous job in constantly shoving its promos down my throat to the point that I've already had my lifetime fill of it.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 2

If Sullivan Stapleton is the male lead on Blindspot, then he's the worst part of it. He was like watching a piece of wood speaking with a Batman voice. 

If Jamie Alexander can keep her character compelling I might continue watching for her. 

• Love 2

I think I'm sticking with Gotham for a little while, if only for the production values. Other then that I'm watching all the dc universe shows (though I'll probably drop the Flash at some point) and Once Upon a Time.

Currently I'm mostly on the fence about whether or not I want to watch How to Get Away with Murder live or if I want to wait and binge watch the whole season at once.

• Love 1

I watched the first few Gotham episodes last season but I dropped the show. I've been told I MUST watch the 2nd season premiere. Do I have to watch any other episodes to "get" the season premiere? Thanks.

I've only seen the X-Files a few times as a kid and I can't remember anything but the theme song, but I am going to check that out too because after The Fall and Hannibal (specifically season three) I'll give anything that has Gillian Anderson a chance. 

Also forgot how fun it is to see tv ratings the day after new shows air. Well, unless your favourites are tanking, but yeah...

Edited by manbearpig
  • Love 1

I watched the first few Gotham episodes last season but I dropped the show. I've been told I MUST watch the 2nd season premiere. Do I have to watch any other episodes to "get" the season premiere? Thanks.

Not really, they do a recap that sums pretty much everything up. The only thing that I don't think it covered is how crazy Barbara got. But there you go. Barbara went crazy, you're ready for season two.

• Love 1

Barbara going crazy is pretty much the only thing you need to know for season 2. I think one of my favorite parts last season is when Barbara invited her serial killer boyfriend over to her place and she called out for Selina, telling her date that she's her roommate. That could be the start of Barbara going crazy since her "roommate" was a 15 year old street kid that broke her into her house and she just let her stay there because she was lonely. 

I do hope Selina and Barbara get to meet again, they were fun together. Especially when Selina called her out on the fact that using her sex appeal hasn't worked out to well for her. 

• Love 2

That scene last season on Gotham where some villain is walking down the street, randomly with a baby pig in his arms, is probably the best the show has ever been. I can't remember the context or who the character was, but it was hilarious nonetheless. It still baffles me that Oswald is still around though. He really is too stupid to live, and I can't buy him as some kind of slick manipulator when he killed someone for a pair of shoes, and then murdered a delivery guy because he was mad at mommy.* He's not even scary in a murder-y way, or funny or...I just don't get the love for the character at all. I don't know. Maybe I'll check out season two when it comes to the UK if my tv schedule is light. 

*I love Carol Kane, but would much rather watch her on Kimmy Schmidt anyway.

Edited by manbearpig

Hmm.

Returning Shows (by night): Scorpion, Castle, NCIS LA, The Flash, NCIS, NCIS NO, Agents of SHIELD, Arrow (for at least the first 9 episodes, after that TBD), Elementary, Hawaii Five-0, Agent Carter (midseason), The Night Shift (midseason).

New Shows: LoT

Maybes (new and returning): Supergirl, Blindspot, The Muppets, Blacklist, The Player.

Returning shows: Arrow, Grey's Anatomy, The Walking Dead, Chicago Fire, Chicago PD, the Night Shift (midseason). Whether I go on watching regularly is TBD for all of them, since I was unsatisfied with the direction taken and many choices made during the last season.

I'm tentatively going back to Grimm and Sleepy Hollow, just to see if what I liked about those shows is indeed back/still there, now that they got rid of what I disliked and made me stop watching.

I was super hyper pumped for the X-files. Now I'm afraid they're going to ruin the only thing that had always made the show/movies worth watching for me. So of course I'm going to watch, but I'm bracing myself for the TV equivalent of The Phantom Menace.

April can't come too soon, along with Winter because I can't wait for Game of Thrones S6.

New shows: Lucifer (midseason) If I had known it was a comic book adaptation, I wouldn't have watched it since I can feel the Because Comics coming and noooo, not again! But I really like Lauren German and the pilot was so much fun...I'm in, for better or for worse. I'm also going to watch Blindspot, and check out The Grinder and Grandfathered because I love them tall, dark, handsome, blue-eyed and from the 80's (and also Paget Brewster, for the latter).

Edited by Happy Harpy

I'm not going back to Grimm. I was pretty mad about what they did to Juliette last season (and I know, I'm probably the only one on this board that liked her). But if it was just that I could deal. But every spoiler I read makes me think they're going toward

pairing Nick and Adalind together

and I am not up to dealing with that kind of rage. Lol. If I'm wrong, I can go back and catch up later.

I haven't finished the latest series of Game of Thrones yet. The last episode I watched basically flipped from character to character that I never cared for, and then I heard Sansa was about to get raped and I just didn't feel like watching that episode, and here I am months later still behind on a show I'd considered one of my favourites before season five. I read all five books twice in two years, which is something I rarely do. I'm just a little burnt out on the show at the minute so maybe I'll catch up. I definitely miss Cersei Lannister's crazy.

Here in the UK Orphan Black season three is getting the late night death slot; the premiere is on Sunday at 2.10am and BBC3 are airing the entire season early in the morning over five days in double bills. I'm sure it will be put on demand though so I guess I'll have a nice little marathon of that. Hopefully it's better than the messy second season.

Excited for Homeland though, whenever that is. And Girls, Orange is the New Black, Kimmy Schmidt, Fargo, etc. 

I watch WAY too much TV, thanks for reminding me, lol.

Watched Blindspot out of some weird Berlanti curiosity and it was surprisingly good.  Not great, but the main actress was very compelling and relatable.  The premise is absurd but that's not a huge stumbling block for me if I like the characters.  The male lead was absolutely wooden.  There were a couple times where I wanted to shake him and make him change expressions.  Still, he might get better since I have to assume someone would have pointed out to him after the pilot that he was too wooden.  Otherwise, yeah, it was slick and fun and fast and the supporting characters actually registered to me (which they often don't in the first episode).  I'm also always a bit intrigued about how someone reassembles their life after loosing all their memories.  Totally called it being her choice though, lol. 

I was planning on checking out Minority Report but I heard it got terrible ratings so not sure I even want to try.  I have it recorded so I'll probably give it a try but I'll make sure not to get attached. 

Watched Scorpion and was very pleasantly surprised to see they added Alana De La Garza, the female lead from the too soon cancelled Forever, to the team.  Liked her a lot.  The show is not fabulous but I enjoy it as something fluffy and fun. 

Watched Castle too and was pretty nervous because I'd heard they'd done some big tinkering.  I like Alexis working with her dad at his PI's office and I enjoy the actress that plays Haley but I am still nervous about where they are going with Kate Becket and the sudden reveal of SECRETS!  It's too late to break them up and I would be pissed if they killed her so if the actress wants off the show (I'm guessing since they had to persuade her to return) I don't know what I'd do.  I REALLY like NF and the rest of the cast as well so I'm hoping they make it work but I'm withholding my opinion.  I liked the show the way it was.  Not sure it can survive this shake up but there's a good chance I'll be going down with the ship if it can't.   

Haven't watched Gotham yet but looking forward to it!  Big Bang was a let down.  Somehow I just didn't find it funny.

I tried out Life in Pieces and while it wasn't bad, I think I'd quickly get sick of the story structure. 

Loving The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.  Missed that guy. 

• Love 1

You're supposed to be a book wurm though!

I'm not even getting into all the comedies I watch. Lord. But they don't take nearly as much time to get through. And I don't obsess about them so it's not extra time spent after the show is done. I just tend to let them pile on the question to watch before bed.

Did anyone else get Arrow feels from last night's Castle?  Between the secrets and the ninja warrior women and the lack of humor, I thought I was watching Arrow.

I'll give it another chance but I don't like the new showrunners so far. No Martha and Mary Sue Alexis.

Unfortunately, Sullivan Stapleton is duller than dull on Blindspot. He must've used up all of his charisma on Strike Back.

That's who that is!  Yep, dull. Maybe they could get Philip Winchester to guest star to perk him up.

That show was so-so for me.  Very Berlanti, with the Chinese speaking and the ninja fighting and disabling the bomb by taking away some of the C-4 (not bad though) and the tunnel blowing up but the hero walking out.  Arrow for those who think Arrow is a kids show..

• Love 1

Does it help to know that I'm also usually reading something while I watch most shows?  Only my top tier favorites get my absolute full attention.

I do the same thing! I'm always reading something, especially when watching TV. I think having an iPad has changed my life in the weirdest ways. I never thought I'd enjoy reading book length texts on a screen, but it's so convenient.

My husband asked me if I wanted to watch a movie I DVRed almost 2 years ago so he could clear it off. I declined due to my inability to sit through an entire movie anymore without needing to read something. It's getting harder to do both because I need my glasses to see the TV, but have to take them off to read. Mr. EmeraldArcher knows I'm intrigued if I watch TV with my glasses on!

• Love 1

My favorite random thing about Blindspot was that the IT blonde girl [hell-o!] was the waitress chick that notices Cap being Cap-y in The Avengers, and now she's Lady Sif's IT girl.

Also, by mid-November I'll be watching 30+ shows, so I'm not even gonna try to list everything. There are a lot of teen shows involved.

• Love 3

My favorite random thing about Blindspot was that the IT blonde girl [hell-o!] was the waitress chick that notices Cap being Cap-y in The Avengers, and now she's Lady Sif's IT girl.

Also, by mid-November I'll be watching 30+ shows, so I'm not even gonna try to list everything. There are a lot of teen shows involved.

Do you have a teen with whom you watch these "teen shows"? I've never needed one! I boldly admit to my colleagues (we're all university faculty in STEMM fields) that I watch almost all of the shows on The CW! My CV speaks for itself, so they can suck it. Of course, they're almost all men, so they probably stopped listening when I started talking anyway.

• Love 3

The Expanse will be the best new show of the year, mark my words. But it doesn't air until December. Brooklyn Nine Nine is still going to be great, as is Agent Carter.

Other than that, Netflix, Amazon and the 'premium' channels are making better shows now than any American network is. The Man in the High Castle, Daredevil, The Leftovers, Veep, Sense8.

I can't even believe Castle is still on the air. But then, Bones got shit after a few years and survived forever too, so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised.

Do you have a teen with whom you watch these "teen shows"? I've never needed one! I boldly admit to my colleagues (we're all university faculty in STEMM fields) that I watch almost all of the shows on The CW! My CV speaks for itself, so they can suck it. Of course, they're almost all men, so they probably stopped listening when I started talking anyway.

No, I don't. I'm the teenager at heart. :) But yeah. I watch pretty much everything on The CW, and ABC Family, and MTV.

I work in film distribution, so ~of course~ all of my co-workers are SUPER SNOTTY about television. It drives them nuts that I watch way more TV than movies, haha.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 2

I'm not sure I can watch the Muppets now that Kermit broke up with Miss Piggy and got a younger, slimmer girlfriend.  I see too much of that in real life.

Loving The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.  Missed that guy. 

I still like Stephen Colbert but I feel like they've hobbled him too much to fit him into the generic late night talk show mold.  Stephen Colbert and The Daily Show were my antidotes to the smugness that's on most of TV and now it feels like he has to join into the general form.

• Love 1

Off topic, but I've finally settled on a new icon after abandoning the one of SA in the black T-shirt I've used since I joined. After cycling through about 10 different ones in the last 10 minutes, I decided to use this bow and arrow because it won't ever make ignorant and hurtful comments in a public forum (like Twitter) and stubbornly refuse to admit fault.

I've changed it to this on AO3, too. Just a heads up. I know all of you by your icons before your screen names even register in my slow brains.

• Love 1

Watched Scorpion and was very pleasantly surprised to see they added Alana De La Garza, the female lead from the too soon cancelled Forever, to the team.  Liked her a lot.  The show is not fabulous but I enjoy it as something fluffy and fun. 

Scorpion was a show that I watched off and on, if Alana De la Garza is on it I might check it out again. I'm still sad that Forever got cancelled. Especially with the not so great new shows this tv season. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

Just to show my age, I also remember the IT girl from when she was little Chrissy Seaver the youngest child on Growing Pains in the late 80's early 90's.  I cracked up when she showed up in The Avengers. 

Scorpion was a show that I watched off and on, if Alana De la Garza is on it I might check it out again. I'm still sad that Forever got cancelled. Especially with the not so great new shows this tv season. 

She's playing the new government liaison above the team's regular handler.  She was well used in this episode and so I have hopes they won't squander her in the future. 

Edited by BkWurm1

I remember her as "Dreama" on a very funny CSI episode.  (Yes, that sounds like a contradiction in terms but it was.)

There seems to be a mini-fascination with shows about very intelligent people these days.  Sheldon, the guys, Amy and Bernadette on Big Bang Theory, Intelligence last season, Limitless this and Scorpion, plus various other super intelligent characters like Sherlock Holmes.

• Love 2

Watched Scream Queens and that's a big nope. Ryan Murphy at least waits a season to make a jumbled mess of nothing but shocks, but with that show he started with season 1, episode 1. 

Also watched Scorpion and boy did that make me miss Forever even more. I wanted Henry and Abe to show up and help out. 

• Love 2

Castle was good last night, but I have no idea what the season is going to turn out to be - it felt like a completely different show. So most of the hour, I was actually asking myself is this really Castle? But it was good.

On a completely other note, just got home from watching Black Mass. And Johnny Depp is freaking AMAZING!!! Complete acting tour de force. The other actors were good, but JD just blew everyone out of the water. Fair warning, there is a lot of gritty & graphic violence as to be expected. A lot of scenes my eyes were close. Even the Boston Accents sounded authentic for once, no painful sitting through butchered accents. As a movie it was decent, but I have seen better mobster movies. This one had more of a raw documentary feel to it, which sorta makes sense considering it was based off of memoir. It felt very observational, not as much drama or twists as The Departed - then again a lot of it was based in reality as opposed to scripted movie drama, so that might be the reason. But anyone looking for a truly phenomenal acting performance, this film is a must watch for Johnny Depp.

• Love 1

Watched Scream Queens and that's a big nope. Ryan Murphy at least usually waits a season to make a jumbled mess of nothing but shocks, but with that show he started with season 1, episode 1.

I stayed through both hours.  The first hour is completely vile and humorless - well, Jamie Lee Curtis had a few moments - but if they want you to root for everyone to die, mission accomplished.  The second hour had a few moments of satire that I laughed at but I don't hate myself enough to keep watching. 

I watched about an hour of Scream Queens and turned it off.  It felt like a weird mash up of Glee/Popular and American Horror Story and just did not work.  

I really enjoyed the Muppets and it wasn't just the nostalgia effect, it was surprisingly funny.  The Flashback to Kermit and Miss Piggy's breakup was well done, I don't blame Kermit in the least.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Castle's a show that needs to make up it's mind. Is it a serious show or a fun show? It's hard to watch when they have fun, silly episodes followed by a super serious ones. Then again, I tend to only enjoy the fun, silly ones. 

Scream Queens had some really tacky and super offensive lines, and there were too many mean bitches.  Kinda hoping it gets cancelled, actually.  Fell asleep during Minority Report...so that's not good.  I'm going to watch the Limitless pilot, but the whole show looks boring.  I'll probably mostly just stick with all of my returning shows because the majority of new ones don't look that great.

• Love 1

Scream Queens is a mess and I love it. I haven't watched the second episode yet, and I definitely have the feeling it will wear thin soon, but for now it's just what I need, even if Roberts and Curtis are the only people in the cast who have made an impression on me. I quite liked their scene together, but judging from that one episode there's not nearly enough JLC!

I had watched the leaked Minority Report pilot, and I just watched the aired pilot -- major reworks happened there. New character introduced, another one got super minimized, and one substantial premise change. That leak was totally on purpose.

Anyway. This show is WAY more procedural than imo it should be, but I really like Stark Sands, so I was willing to stick out. Except the ratings were abysmal, so I'm just having Almost Human flashbacks here.