Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Check Youtube..

Wow, it looks at least some of the episodes are on there. Thanks! It wouldn't have occurred to me to check YouTube.

ETA: well, it looks like they're either for purchase or the picture's flipped, which keeps giving me the weird feeling that I'm watching it backwards. But thank you for the suggestion anyway! :)

Edited by Starfish35

I found on my recent attempt at rewatching that sometimes there was too much time spent setting up the bad guys when I was more interested in what Bruce was up to. That and the fight scenes dragged on too long IMO. I know I watched every episode probably at least twice back in the day and a lot of them held up great but some I just wasn't interested in.

• Love 1

That's just cruel. LOL.

OH But a nice surprise, Katrina Law was a guest star on the show as a Fulcram agent :') It was weird not to hear her amazingly hot accent. 

Ugh. I just have this irrational need to punch Daniel Shaw tbh And I think that sort of spilled over into how I perceived him on Arrow lmao

• Love 1

The TV gods just need to stop altogether making Brandon Routh the spoiler in main show pairings. It only makes my disdain grow whenever I see him on my TV screen. The whole Chuck S3 triangle was a hot mess that I barely made it though and then lo and behold...the Arrow S3 shitshow happened. This is not how you make me like BR, people.

• Love 4

I'm doing a Chuck rewatch and I'm at the part where Daniel Shaw shows up.............

............ -_-

Ugh.. the worst part ...

Until the end, when his true colors show & BR is able to be the actual evil guy (which he really excels at). I still wish BR had been allowed to play a bad guy playing good on ARROW. I don't how he does it, but I find I just can't trust him when he is on the screen, it always feels like he has an ulterior motive.

OH But a nice surprise, Katrina Law was a guest star on the show as a Fulcram agent :') It was weird not to hear her amazingly hot accent. 

Ugh. I just have this irrational need to punch Daniel Shaw tbh And I think that sort of spilled over into how I perceived him on Arrow lmao

Yeah, I just figured that out about Katrina Law the other day from a twitter msg. Completely missed it the first time.

Don't feel bad about the irrational need to punch Daniel Shaw, I had that same feeling when I first watched CHuck when it originally aired before ARROW was ever made. It never goes away on rewatch either, at least on ARROW, there are moments where I actually feel bad for RP.

• Love 1

I loved Chuck yet didnt realize the sexy Katrina law was a guest star! What season and Episode was she in May I ask?

I loved Chuck yet didnt realize the sexy Katrina law was a guest star! What season and Episode was she in May I ask?

Season 2, Episode 15 - Chuck Versus the Beefcake (2009) . She played a Fulcrum agent named Alexis.

The CW is unique as it is the only broadcast network with dual ownership (CBS and Warner Bros.) that does not own its stations in the top three markets — New York, Los Angeles and Chicago

Is that why the CW doesn't have it's own channel here in Chicago? It shares the time with our local channel, which is why I hate baseball season. 

So not sure if this should go here but Im curious if anyone knows why Arsenal doesnt get to be in Legends of Tomorrow? He was so freekin cool, I want to see more of the character!

I mean some reports say that CH left willingly, so that may be it? Too bad I don't believe it at all...

While I did start to love Roy in S3, I don't think he was popular enough to go to LoT? IDK I just hope we see him again. He'd be a great recurring character. 

• Love 1

The conversation on the BTS threat about CW actors is becoming off-topic, but I just read this article on Vulture, and it's sorta related:

Are Young Actors Bailing on Movies? How the Oscars Reveal Hollywood’s Leading-Man Drought

http://www.vulture.com/2015/09/hollywood-oscars-young-actor-shortage.html

This quote from a director, though, is a pretty good example of how Hollywood sees the CW:

In the opinion of director Ed Zwick, who recently directed Maguire in Pawn Sacrifice, teen-targeted television shows are also to blame for the lack of young-male movie stars. “There's a poaching of young people where they're put into CW television shows, and they learn bad habits,” Zwick told us. “They're given too much responsibility too quickly, and without the opportunity to work with these great directors that Tobey and Leo had.”

In the opinion of director Ed Zwick, who recently directed Maguire in Pawn Sacrifice, teen-targeted television shows are also to blame for the lack of young-male movie stars. “There's a poaching of young people where they're put into CW television shows, and they learn bad habits,” Zwick told us. “They're given too much responsibility too quickly, and without the opportunity to work with these great directors that Tobey and Leo had.”

Hey, unless these great directors are knocking on the door, the talent is going to go where they are wanted.  Also, the idea that the CW is going to teach them bad habits is absurd.  The directors on the CW shows are the same bunch that are directing lots of other shows.  And Leo?  He was on fricken Growing Pains.  Plenty of time for him to have picked up bad habits. 

There is a lot of elitism in that quote.  It's like he's talking about them being one of the current wretchedly acted Disney shows for tweens. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 6

Yeah, that quote is beyond ridiculous. Last time I checked someone like David Nutter isn't exactly some two-bit director. He has pretty much directed every major TV drama at one point in time yet apparently his work on Arrow and The Flash means his directing skills are subpar? I'm sure there are many other directors who have worked on CW shows whose resumes are pretty damn impressive, Ed Zwick.

I've been hearing the expression "bad habits" from movie directors about TV actors since film school. It's a thing a bunch of them truly believe in -- that TV acting is a lot more about hitting the marks than ~real craft work~. It's totally bull, but it's there.

So this is offtopic, but one of my favorite forums is closing (I know, it's like an epidemic). But I was wondering if anyone knew of any good and easy to use archiving programs so I could attempt to save some of the information there. I know some people tried to archive parts of the TWOP data but I'm not sure how to go about it.

I do think SA has what it takes, like someone said he has the talent and ambition.. the problem is that he seems to choose parts or take part of things that are just gonna continue to type cast him as an action actor or someone who is only interested in action.. and well look at all the guys from the 80's and 90's... I would have preferred to see him do the indie movie (or something that is so different than his role on Arrow, something that will make casting directors stop and think "well yes he's on the CW, but it look like he has range, maybe we should cast him".

Unless he was to have a permanent career in indie movies like Parker Posey, he would do better to make his mark in action movies like Tom Cruise and once he's got that under his belt, he can make more arty movie, again like Cruise does.  I mean, does anyone remember the Richard Attenborough movie SA was in?  Great director, stars like Christopher Plummer and Shirley Maclaine but I don't remember any buzz when it came out.  Clooney is also someone who made his name on a pop hit (ER) and used that to leverage himself into better movies.  Arrow is no ER.  (ER was the #1 drama on TV for years.)

(Speaking of Clooney, I loved Stephen Colbert asking him last night what it's like to be his wife's arm candy "less speaking, more smiling now".

• Love 5

Jimmy Fallon & Justin Timberlake are killing it tonight on the Tonight Show!! Their bromance has been forever immortalized on a mug! Seriously, their brochemistry should be bottled to solve energy crisis! The show started off with an EPIC #HistoryofRapPt6. Just an amazing opening, highly recommend youtubing it. Felt like I was reliving parts of my youth/young adulthood. Just in time for back to school, they schooled us in the best way :)

• Love 4

without the opportunity to work with these great directors that Tobey and Leo had.”

Does he mean directors like John Badham, who directed Saturday Night Fever and Whose Life is it Anyway among other movies and TV series like The Shield, and is directing the 4x05

Constantine

episode of Arrow?

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

Jimmy Fallon & Justin Timberlake are killing it tonight on the Tonight Show!! Their bromance has been forever immortalized on a mug! Seriously, their brochemistry should be bottled to solve energy crisis! The show started off with an EPIC #HistoryofRapPt6. Just an amazing opening, highly recommend youtubing it. Felt like I was reliving parts of my youth/young adulthood. Just in time for back to school, they schooled us in the best way :)

I've said a million times that I wish they had a show together. They're my favorite bromance in the history of forever.

• Love 2

I've said a million times that I wish they had a show together. They're my favorite bromance in the history of forever.

The was a common wish on my twitter feed last night. If not a whole show at least monthly specials or something! I would watch that show in a heartbeat.... JT also needs to do more SNL.

I also would definitely buy that last mug :)

Edited by kismet
  • Love 2

Most TV actors struggle and never do make the transition into movies. No matter how successful their TV show was.

From the last 20 years the only person that comes to my mind who have successfully and fully made this transition is George Clooney. Chris Pratt is still too new to the transition for us to know if he can make it (many before him had major roles and than disappeared once their franchise lost the interest among audience) lets check with CP again in 10 years, when Marvel phase 3 is over and done with.

Bradley Cooper, Benedict Cumberbatch and Ryan Reynolds come to mind.

• Love 4

Seriously who would have thunk that out of the whole cast of ALIAS - Bradley Cooper would have the biggest commercial & critical acclaimed movie career? I mean that still surprises me. Jennifer Garner has done pretty good for herself as well. Sadly, I feel that she fell prey to Hollywood's ageism bias and also having to choose between good roles and having a family.

Ryan Reynolds also surprises me that he transitioned to movies so well.

And Benedict Cumberbatch just has one of those otherworldly odd faces that can be cast in certain roles. And his talent is pretty otherworldly in a good way.

• Love 4

Bradley Cooper, Benedict Cumberbatch and Ryan Reynolds come to mind.

Cumberbatch is still primarily known for his TV work in Sherlock than for any of his movies (which is a shame!)

I can't say much for Cooper as I don't know him from any TV projects.

And yea I suppose Reynolds can count.. come to think of it so can Ryan Gosling (although who would have thunk that back in his young Hercules days).

And am I the only one who has now realized we have no women examples- at least none we can think off the top of our head?

Edited by foreverevolving

And am I the only one who has now realized we have no women examples- at least none we can think off the top of our head?

Shailene Woodley's doing pretty well. I think some people have mentioned Michelle Williams.

Anne Hathaway started out on television in a show called Get Real. Kate Bosworth was in Young Americans.

Edited by AnyoneButYou
  • Love 1

Seriously who would have thunk that out of the whole cast of ALIAS - Bradley Cooper would have the biggest commercial & critical acclaimed movie career? I mean that still surprises me. Jennifer Garner has done pretty good for herself as well. Sadly, I feel that she fell prey to Hollywood's ageism bias and also having to choose between good roles and having a family.

MTE. And I didn't find him attractive AT ALL on Alias. Maybe because I was too busy drooling over Michael Vartan. Other Who-da-thunks for me are Chris Pratt from Everwood (although I loved his portrayal of Bright), Melissa McCarthy from Gilmore Girls and Michael B. Jordan from Parenthood.

• Love 6

Cumberbatch is still primarily known for his TV work in Sherlock than for any of his movies (which is a shame!)

I can't say much for Cooper as I don't know him from any TV projects.

And yea I suppose Reynolds can count.. come to think of it so can Ryan Gosling (although who would have thunk that back in his young Hercules days).

Cooper was on Alias. As for Cumberbatch, I consider a best actor Oscar nod a pretty good sign that he's doing okay in the movie world. Other TV-to-movie actors include Steve Carrell, Colin Farrell and Jeremy Renner. Actresses include Melissa McCarthy and to a lesser extent, Jennifer Garner and Jennifer Aniston.

As for SA, I think he'd make an ideal Jason Bourne once Matt Damon relinquishes the role. It'd be nice to see him go after a mix of action films and indies with a few rom-coms thrown in.

ETA: Joseph Gordon-Levitt and James Franco

Edited by dcinmb
  • Love 1

Michael B. Jordan from Parenthood.

OMG ... I just finished binge watching Friday Night Lights and Michael B. Jordan was in a couple of seasons.  I kept thinking to myself, dang, that kid looks familiar, but it never bugged me enough to do a search on IMDB ... 

Thanks for the reminder!  Of course he is the dude from Parenthood ... only older.  ::giggle::

She was. It starred Bill Engvall I believe she played his daughter.

There we go then, there's a female tv actress that is now the highest paid movie actress. 

As for SA it seems like he's more interested in doing the action movies right now, if he plays it right he can get in because the current ones are getting older and they'll need new younger talent and so far I don't think anyone really stands out. 

I just don't understand Bradley Cooper's success at all. Alias and Guardians of the Galaxy are the only things I have ever liked him in. Limitless might be the worst movie I have ever paid to see, and I went to the cinema to see Date Movie! (Damn you Alyson Hannigan, please come back to drama). 

I think Bradley Cooper has kind of been riding off of Jennifer Lawrence's coattails. The movies that got him into the spot light are the first two movies he did with her "Silver Linings Playbook" and "American Hustle" even though I thought he was the weakest actor in both of those movies. 

He was okay in "Wet Hot American Summer". He didn't have a huge part, the ageless Paul Rudd was the best part of the movie and 10 years later TV show. 

Edited by Sakura12

I think Bradley Cooper has kind of been riding off of Jennifer Lawrence's coattails. The movies that got him into the spot light are the first two movies he did with her "Silver Linings Playbook" and "American Hustle" even though I thought he was the weakest actor in both of those movies.

He was okay in "Wet Hot American Summer". He didn't have a huge part, the ageless Paul Rudd was the best part of the movie and 10 years later TV show.

He was fantastic in The Elephant Man. I found him even more compelling than Billy Crudup, who'd played the same role years ago.