Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

You made me have to go and look it up!

Still a big nope (and talk about fan fiction, lol). I liked the other incarnation of Tess's new moniker too much to have him replaced.

What? She didn't replace anyone, I'm [maybe wrongly] assuming you mean Cyborg? She became

Red Tornado

Oh well, you can't please everyone. I adore the Smallville comics to itty bitty pieces, forever and ever. And maybe BQM wrote fic, but then he wrote fic FOR ME, because he gave me pretty much everything I wanted . I can't even think of other property that gave me so much of what I envisioned for the characters.

What? She didn't replace anyone, I'm [maybe wrongly] assuming you mean Cyborg? She became

Red Tornado

Oh well, you can't please everyone. I adore the Smallville comics to itty bitty pieces, forever and ever. And maybe BQM wrote fic, but then he wrote fic FOR ME, because he gave me pretty much everything I wanted . I can't even think of other property that gave me so much of what I envisioned for the characters.

I liked the character Tess becomes in  his other incarnations on other shows like Young Justice.  I liked Tess in the end but she comes with a totally different personality and so I was saying I'd be disappointed to lose the original character (or the option of him) even though he'd never previously been on Smallville. 

For me, Smallville was over with the last shot on TV.  Lots of shows or movies have had further tie ins that later get ignored (like all the Star Wars books) so even if the comic was sanctioned, it to me isn't something I feel I need to at all consider canon.  Plus, I liked how the finale totally undermined the Lois and Clark romance.  I liked that there was no confirmation of who that kid Chloe was hanging out with was or if she was definitely still with Oliver.  I also liked the fan fiction that I came up with to make me happy and I don't have the strength, patience or stomach to have to "fix" it all over again using the season 11 comics as a jumping off point.   Ha,ha,ha,ha.  :D

I am pleased the series made you happy and there are a few things that I take sly pleasure in from the ending, but I can't get behind a HEA for that version of Lois and Clark so it was always going to be a nonstarter for me.  I can't help occasionally taking cheap shots at Smallville.  Messed with my head big time.  Grrrrr! 

It's all good.  If the universe consists of infinite possibilities then you can have your BQM HEA and I can have my fingers in my ears going "la,la,la.  I can't hear you."  ;)

Edited by BkWurm1

NPR's Linda Holmes has been writing essays on pretty much every aspect of scripted television for the past couple of weeks, based on all sorts of info that came out of the Summer TCAs. They're a pretty good read:

http://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/432588854/television-2015

Bonus link, this piece by Mo Ryan, on how network executives letting creatives go wild might not be the greatest thing:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/netflix-binging-and-quality-control_55df5816e4b029b3f1b1f625?336dpldi

• Love 2

Bonus link, this piece by Mo Ryan, on how network executives letting creatives go wild might not be the greatest thing:

http://www.huffingto...b1f625?336dpldi

Interesting article.  Below is a quote that was kind of tantalizing even though it is not further explored in the article. 

For one thing, in part due to talent flight, drama pilots on the broadcast networks have been mostly lame and terrible for years, with a few rare exceptions, because those who don’t want to deal with a lot of network interference are going elsewhere. (The CW, which has been on a roll, is the exception among the broadcast networks, but that's a story for another day.)

I'm usually all for the CW but I'm feeling a little bit down on the network at the moment. I gave The 100 about eight episodes and it never showed me that it was anything other than typical teen drama bullshit, even if I have heard that the show got a lot better and became a lot more brutal and tanked their love triangle, but actually getting to that point proved difficult for me. Usually I'm willing to stick it out with a show, particularly one that is supposed to get really good and has a relatively short episode count, but I just couldn't with  The 100.

Arrow has seen better days, as we've discussed on this forum. The Flash is dumb fun at best. It baffles me how well reviewed it is, I get why it has a decent size audience though. Don't think I'll be watching Legends of Tomorrow, even with Garber and Lotz, which is why I'm hoping for a decent amount of Sara in season four of Arrow. The Vampire Diaries has seen better days, and to me The Originals just feels like TVD-lite. It still does some pretty good cliffhangers and shock moments, just not anywhere near as well as TVD at its best did. I never watched season two when Claire Holt left. Haven't seen season six of TVD, either. I never understood the love for Supernatural when it was supposedly at its best, so I can't even imagine what the show is like now.

Oh well. At least if iZombie is half as good as Veronica Mars it'll be a worthwhile addition to my watch list, unfortunately it hasn't hit the UK yet. Obviously Jane the Virgin is getting glowing reviews so maybe I'm just watching the wrong CW shows.

Edited by manbearpig

I'm usually all for the CW but I'm feeling a little bit down on the network at the moment. I gave The 100 about eight episodes and it never showed me that it was anything other than typical teen drama bullshit, even if I have heard that the show got a lot better and became a lot more brutal and tanked their love triangle, but actually getting to that point proved difficult for me. Usually I'm willing to stick it out with a show, particularly one that is supposed to get really good and has a relatively short episode count, but I just couldn't with  The 100.

Oh well. At least if iZombie is half as good as Veronica Mars it'll be a worthwhile addition to my watch list, unfortunately it hasn't hit the UK yet. Obviously Jane the Virgin is getting glowing reviews so maybe I'm just watching the wrong CW shows.

I can attest to The 100 becoming a really interesting show. Great women characters. It did take a while to find its footing, though, and I don't blame you for giving up. Maybe try skipping straight to season 2 if you want to give it another whirl. 

I don't think iZombie will live up to Veronica Mars, but it's a fun, entertaining show. Jane The Virgin is also really good, though the love triangle is the least interesting part of it. And it being a telenovela, the plot moves speedy fast, and nothing drags out for too long. 

• Love 2

The 100 is a great show. Yes the first season was a chore to get through but the second season was probably one of the most compelling shows I've seen on the CW. I binged S1 and S2 in two weekends.

The 100 is the dark and gritty and interesting show that Arrow wishes it was.

• Love 1

It's a bad day.

R.I.P. Oliver Sacks.

He was one of those brilliant creative geniuses who is also a lot of fun.  Each day, he would photocopy a page of the Oxford English Dictionary (the multi-volume one) and take it to bed to read to learn new words.

When he was blocked on writing his first book 'Migraines' in 1968, he told himself "if I can't finish this book in 10 days, I will commit suicide".  He finished it in nine.

He wrote Awakenings, The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and many other books but my favourite is Uncle Tungsten, about his very eccentric family.  After a number of bad experiences, he'd given up on finding love when it sneaked up on him, unawares, in his mid-seventies.  (There's always hope.)

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

So sad about Oliver Sacks...he was brilliant mind and have a noble fight until the end. Really made some impacting waves in Psychology & media. Saw that earlier this morning. Sorry to see him pass, but glad he was able to do it on his own terms, or as much as one can die on their own terms.

But yeah it is a double hit of sadness with Wes Craven's passing as well. Horror is not a genre I watch or follow. But I know many people spoke of his amazing work.

Two brilliant minds lost in one day.

• Love 1

Okay so I may have been a bit presumptuous adding a new thread (that got deleted) without asking... 

But I was just wondering, would any of you like to have a thread where everyone can respectfully chip in on making suggestions regarding: what new threads to add, what should be deleted, the basic rules (aka where the line should be drawn regarding debates), maybe modifications in the moderation of the site (not a dig, but there's always room for improvement!). Basically make this board more like a democracy. 

I always felt like there needs to be a dialogue between the mods/users because who doesn't want to make this board the best that it can be? Basically all I'm saying is that thread can essentially be a help us help you sort of thread.  

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 3

I think your suggestion comes with good intentions but I'm not sure if it would work in practice.  For one, conversations with mods about changes to rules or questions on actions are all to take place only in private messages or through the Report this Post function.  So such a thread would be in direct opposition to the policies of the site. 

The main rule is "Don't be a dick" and it also seems to be a tenant of the site to try and not have to lay out explicit and complicated rules.  But maybe there is some kind of pinned at the top of the thread post that could expand on it somehow. I do worry about new posters needing more specific direction on do's and don'ts since they wouldn't have the benefit of growing and learning with the site,

would any of you like to have a thread where everyone can respectfully chip in on making suggestions regarding: what new threads to add, what should be deleted,

I guess I would want to review first what the existing method of doing this is. 

I guess I would want to review first what the existing method of doing this is. 

Totally understnad what you're saying. As for your question, I don't think there is a new existing method for doing this. 

IDK I just feel like we're all adults on this board and we can be respectful, it could work well? I mean there aren't a lot of people who come on this board, so it could be easy to manage. 

I don't really know the policies of this site, but would appreciate it if anyone can give me a link to it? 

Yeah... I got a warning point for saying something I genuinely didn't think was condescending, but was deemed as such. I mean, sometimes I just don't know how the things I say come across and I feel like I should've gotten a chance to change it before I got a warning point. 

But that's sort of my point. We need better communication b/w the mods and the users. And that thread could be a way to communicate in order to set up rules/guidelines. 

I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing or something that 'goes against the mods'. 

I don't really know the policies of this site, but would appreciate it if anyone can give me a link to it? 

The link takes you to the Site Business topics.  I would look under Questions for rules.  It is a matter of reading forums answers. 

http://forums.previously.tv/forum/47-site-business/

I also would recommend scrolling back through the posts pinned at the top of the Arrow forum aka the Notes from the Mods to Read Before Posting. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

As others have pointed out, there are various ways to ask Questions and make Suggestions.

You can PM the mods with your questions (and some already people do), you can "report" a post just to ask questions about it.  It is worthwhile to read the Notes from Mods topic here in Arrow, hence the "Read This" tag.  If you don't want to contact just the Arrow mods, we have forums where you can post Suggestions for the site, and Questions about the site.  I'd suggest reading the Posting Rules topic in the Questions forum, and probably other questions there, too.

• Love 2

Yeah... I got a warning point for saying something I genuinely didn't think was condescending, but was deemed as such. I mean, sometimes I just don't know how the things I say come across and I feel like I should've gotten a chance to change it before I got a warning point. 

But that's sort of my point. We need better communication b/w the mods and the users. And that thread could be a way to communicate in order to set up rules/guidelines. 

I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing or something that 'goes against the mods'. 

This entire post is part of the reason why I was growing to resent the TWoP mods and their annoying "we're in charge, ya`ll are noting but a bunch of pre-schoolers who needs to be taught their lesson" as time went by.... (I would get warning posts from the mods for forgetting to add a capital letter here and there, or properly punctuate my posts... -_- Can you tell i'm still a tad bitter?

I think we need to take things down a notch, and find things that we all agree on that won't cause any bad stuff.  Things like Eve Torres is gorgeous, Marvel has been killing it with the Star Wars books, Grayson has been an awesome series for DC, John Oliver kicks major ass, and "Let's go Yankees!"

I feel like we can all agree on those.

• Love 1

Sorry, Yankees suck. I know I have no right to say it this season... but its in my blood.

Actually, I'm just looking fwd to the start of football season. Go Patriots!!

How many Footballs is Brady going to deflate this season?  I kid, I kid

Go Yanks!  Go Giants!

• Love 5

How many Footballs is Brady going to deflate this season?  I kid, I kid

Go Yanks!  Go Giants!

Well technically none, since he never deflated any in the first place. :) But we'll let the courts, commissioner & lawyers waste some more time.

Patriots rock with or without Brady... It's almost sacrilege to say that in my parts. I like Brady, but honestly the Patriots don't necessarily need him to have a stellar season. Born & bred Patriots fan, but I never drank the Brady kool-aid. What can you do?? He’s just not my type of quarterback, although he has gotten much better since he started. :)

Well, I've finished off Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, and the first season of Young Justice (I'm really wishing Netflix had the second season). I guess now to Batman: the Animated Series on Amazon Prime. Never thought I would get this hooked. :)

• Love 1

I think it does for the most part. I think it helps that it borrows from all sorts of time periods to get the complete feel of timelessness. Sometimes it feels like the 80s sometimes 50s. So it works.

If you wanted to look for a cheap deal for the Young Justice dvd on Amazon, Starfish35, I really do recommend it. It's a shame because for awhile netflix had all of Batman Beyond/Justice League movies and the Batman/Superman movies and I think you'd enjoy those as well.

• Love 1

I couldn't really get into Batman the Animated Series. To me it felt like the quality jumped all over the place. Joker/Harley episodes were always a ton of fun though. Justice League/Unlimited was really great though, particularly those episodes with Huntress and the Question. 

After the Batman & Robin movie came out, they changed the animation style a bit (What do animators have against pupils in eyes?) and the characterization to some extent too of certain characters but before that, I enjoyed all of the Animated series. It's quite different though, IMO, from the JL Unlimited series.

Does Netflix have the Animated Superman series with Tim Daly as Superman? They have a great Lois on that one.

It was a mistake to go from a newer animation style back to an older animation style. But it still has Kevin Conroy's voice as Batman so I think I'll readjust. ;)

As someone who really enjoys voices, it's been really fun to me to play "who's that voice?" as I go through the series. In Young Justice, for example, I recognized the voice of Queen Bee, but I had to look it up to place it (Marina Sirtis). And it was cool that Morena Baccarin and Amy Acker were Black Canary and Huntress in JLU. I had not realized that Dana Delaney did Lois, however. And I just yesterday looked up Clancy Brown's IMDb and realized that he was The Flash's General Eiling - I had not made that connection. He does a fantastic Lex voice though. ;)

If you wanted to look for a cheap deal for the Young Justice dvd on Amazon, Starfish35, I really do recommend it. It's a shame because for awhile netflix had all of Batman Beyond/Justice League movies and the Batman/Superman movies and I think you'd enjoy those as well.

I might try. Right now it's $35.00 to buy the second season streaming on Amazon. I'm hooked, but I'm also on a budget. ;)

Does Netflix have the Animated Superman series with Tim Daly as Superman? They have a great Lois on that one.

Netflix does not, but Amazon Prime does. So it's next in the queue after Batman.

Speaking of Marvel cartoons, I've been meaning to ask for recommendations, because Netflix does have some. And probably Amazon does too.

At this rate, I'm not going to be able to keep up with my regular shows once they come back this month - lol!

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1