Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to give medicine to a cat?  (Dogs I can do but I'm hopeless with cats.)

My still-thinks-she's-a-kitten cat broke her leg in two places. The operation to pin it was Wednesday but now I have to keep her quiet (impossible, she escapes from the wire cage) and give her her medicine.  The metacam, an anti-inflammatory, gets squirted in her mouth and I think I can force that with help. But the gabapentin, which is for pain, I've tried everything I can think of.  The vet said to break apart the capsule and put the beads in her food but she won't eat it, whether it's in her wet food, cream cheese or honey.  I tried to put the capsule in her mouth with food so she would swallow it but she just spit it out.

Does anyone have any suggestions I could try?

Is she a fussy eater? Is there anything she absolutely adores and would swallow quickly?

Towards the end of his life my old boy was super fussy so I used to buy him dumplings (har gow, siu mai etc he loved those) from yum cha restaurants and put a tablet inside. I'd freeze some and resteam them lightly before popping in the tablet so I didn't need to make many trips to the restaurants.

I also had two dumplings. So one with the tablet and one without. He got very excited by two dumplings so he'd gobble the first one (with the tablet) before he clued in to sort though it with this tongue and then I'd give him the second dumpling right away which meant everything was swallowed quickly.

I'm not sure about cats as I've heard they are hard to feed! My boy spat most things out but loved chiffon cake, cottage pie and yum cha. 

• Love 1

This depends on the size of the capsule.  When I had to give Gus antibiotics my vet told me to use one arm (or a friend/family member) to hold him in place, hold the capsule with thumb and forefinger, dip it in water (so it goes down more smoothly), then tilt his head, open his mouth, place the capsules at the back of his throat, close his mouth, and massage his throat to force him to swallow.  Keep the head tiled back the whole time and he won't be able to spit it out.  The vet said they do it this way because, while the animals hate it, it gets it done quickly and you don't have to worry about wasting the medicine if they won't eat it in food. 

If it's a large capsule then I'd ask the vet if there's a way you can mix a solution with water and use a syringe.  If so, you can just squirt it in the throat and they'll swallow reflexively.

• Love 4

That's a good idea, to put it in water first.  I didn't think to massage the throat first.

One of medicine gets squirted down her throat but she won't let us do that even though the medicine doesn't takes that bad. The other one is bitter and we've tried to put it in every food she likes but she's pretty much stopped eating anything except kibble.  Now she's hiding in the far recesses of my closet.

If she ever comes out, I'll take her to the vet and ask a technician to give her a dose.  But she needs medication four times a day so I'm going to have to figure out how to do it myself.

I did something similar to @scarynikki12. I'd plop my Kaiju in my lap or wrap him in a towel, pry his mouth open, get the pill in, then I'd squirt a tiny amount of water from a syringe and hold his head back and mouth closed until he swallowed. Cats are tricky though. Sometimes I'd find a pill later around the house that he had spit out. 

• Love 5

Any soul on this board brave enough to try cauliflower rice? I'm looking for new meals for my fasting days on the 5:2 eating plan and thinking if giving it a go.

But it's a giant bowl of cauliflower........

I’ve tried cauliflower rice. Not a fan. The texture was throwing me off. Other members of my family like it though. 

22 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Cauliflower rice?   What is it?  Just cauliflower and rice?

Just cauliflower. Shaped like rice.

• Love 2
On 5/4/2018 at 11:10 AM, calliope1975 said:

I did something similar to @scarynikki12. I'd plop my Kaiju in my lap or wrap him in a towel, pry his mouth open, get the pill in, then I'd squirt a tiny amount of water from a syringe and hold his head back and mouth closed until he swallowed. Cats are tricky though. Sometimes I'd find a pill later around the house that he had spit out. 

My cat needed de worming meds. The vet told me to wrap her in a towel, and cover her nose so she would try to breathe through her mouth to get her to open her mouth. It was not great but it did keep her mouth open long enough to get the pill in and then I would rub her throat to get it all down.

That was the only way I could get those pills in her.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Any soul on this board brave enough to try cauliflower rice? I'm looking for new meals for my fasting days on the 5:2 eating plan and thinking if giving it a go.

But it's a giant bowl of cauliflower........

I've had it and I liked it. My friend sauteed it with garlic, just like garlic friend rice and served it just like that.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I've had it and I liked it. My friend sauteed it with garlic, just like garlic friend rice and served it just like that.

Recommended by cannibals everywhere.

• Love 15

Thanks for the info guys! I made a giant bowl, smells ok not as cauliflowerish as I expected! 

I think I whizzed mine too small so it looks more like cous cous than rice! Will eat it with furikake and report back on the taste!

The 5yo will love this but it's too low cal for him! Will save him a tiny bit! 

(edited)
55 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I think I whizzed mine

My inner 12 year old is snickering.  I love language differences.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Haha what does Whizz mean to you?

My smaller sized food processor is actually called a "Mini Wizz"

https://www.binglee.com.au/breville-bfp100-mini-wizz?gclid=Cj0KCQjwz7rXBRD9ARIsABfBl83XTczwFM7ZpE5yRxD-_5L0pIsW52S78QP_BiBusjalPiwSlwi-OyoaAg65EALw_wcB

50 minutes ago, bijoux said:

To me it means pee.

Yup.  Lol.

Wizz or Wiz is thought of as short for Wizard but whiz is boys aiming at the fence or writing their names in the snow.   But ignore me, I'm being really immature.  :D

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

Verdict on the cauliflower rice: Okay but I will probably just roast it and eat it roasted! Feels a bit boiled! Needs some char!

For those who watched this year's winter Olympics, especially ladies figure skating: Rumour is Medvedeva is leaving Eteri to go train with Orser!!!!!!! Eteri has slandered her on Russian media. 

I really like Med and hope she does well next Olympics! 

10 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

For those who watched this year's winter Olympics, especially ladies figure skating: Rumour is Medvedeva is leaving Eteri to go train with Orser!!!!!!! Eteri has slandered her on Russian media. 

I really like Med and hope she does well next Olympics! 

Oh, yeah. I read about that! Good for Medvedeva! I liked that kid. I kinda hope Zagitova would go with her (they seem to have a cute friendship) 'cause from the very little that I know of the Russian skating training program, they're really good, they get their medals but they seriously run those girls ragged and cycle through them so fast with a lot of the girls retiring really early because their bodies get too battered with the training regimen.

4 hours ago, SleepDeprived said:

Oh, yeah. I read about that! Good for Medvedeva! I liked that kid. I kinda hope Zagitova would go with her (they seem to have a cute friendship) 'cause from the very little that I know of the Russian skating training program, they're really good, they get their medals but they seriously run those girls ragged and cycle through them so fast with a lot of the girls retiring really early because their bodies get too battered with the training regimen.

Medvedeva released the most classy statement about her split with Eteri. I'm excited she's going to Orser who trained Yuna Kim! She seems very determined to get that Olympic gold! Would be awesome if she does as I think she'll be 22 at the time and in this sport it feels like they get chewed up and spat out at 18.

I've always got the impression that Medvedeva has more clout and hence more options than Zagitova. I think poor Zagitova is stuck with Eteri.

• Love 1

@Starfish35 Never heard of this bird! Lies and slander against Aussie nature I tells ya!

Ooh speaking of scary Aussie stuff did I tell you guys about the time Hubs got bitten by a fish? Never mind I tell it again!

We were on a trip and went to this place where you could pet sharks and feed them. All was good, the sharks were total darlings. The two sting rays in particular (Pancake and Pikelet) were so used to humans they really mugged for attention. They were practically like puppies and rushed up to you to get food and sucked it up from your hand. Soooooo cute! 

Anyways we also went to feed the normal fish. We were given prawns and told to dip them into the water, fish would swim up and take a bite. Hubs did as he was told and a giant barramundi chomped on his finger. Didn't need stitches but was bleeding everywhere and still has a scar. 

• Love 4

Is Comcast Preparing To Make Unsolicited Offer For Fox?

Comcast, after being spurned in its initial pursuit of 21st Century Fox, apparently is preparing to challenge Disney $52.4 billion deal to acquire most of the studio’s film and TV assets, according to reports.

Reuters reports that Comcast is speaking with investment bankers about obtaining bridge financing for an all-cash offer. It’s waiting for a federal judge to issue a ruling next month in the Justice Department’s challenge to the AT&T-Time Warner merger before making its move, the news organization reports.

The report could not be independently verified.

6 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I tuned out and stopped watching the 100 the last season and a half but I started watching it again this season and it's been really good so glad to hear it.  

Now I need to hear iZombie is safe too.  

I never really managed to get into the show, but I’m very glad he’s not going to cost everyone else involved their jobs. I guess Riggs has some bad accident that calls for facial reconstruction since they’re recasting instead of getting a brand new character?

I just spent 3 hours selling gifts at 5yo's Mother's Day stall at school!

OMG KIDS ARE SO CUTE!!!!!!

If I could pop out a 3yo right now I'd do it ASAP! They were so adorable, especially the little ones who worked so hard explaining what they wanted to buy for their mummies. Some had an entire shopping list and methodically went through it picking out gifts even though they were only yay big!!!!!!!

*swoons* Soooo smitten right now! *heart eyes* 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

That's why people who can afford nannies have them. ;-)

haha I would love one but I'm a SAHM so no excuse for a nanny! Plus I'm a control freak when it comes to kids! My sister reads books to him with different intonations to how I read them and I have to leave the room because it drives me mental! 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

OMG Thanks for telling me!!!!! WOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SQUEEEEEE

You should all watch it!!! Seriously best villains ever!!!!!!

Villains? Isn't it a doctor show? 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Sakura12 said:

Villains? Isn't it a doctor show? 

Lol that's what people keep asking me when I tell them the show has awesome villains! 

Trust me there are definitely two villains and they are AWESOME! It puts some other shows to shame when it comes to villains! 

3 hours ago, bijoux said:

@Mellowyellow, this just popped up on my Facebook timeline. It actually looks good to me. I think I’ll try it once.

https://bestrecipebox.com/cauliflower-fried-rice/

I'd be interested to see what you think! The natural sweetness of the cauliflower stopped me from being able to accept it as a rice substitute. Texture was ok.

Fasting day again today! I settled for a cob of sweetcorn and a giant grilled eggplant!

(edited)

Lol - Nathan Fillion's new TV show, The Rookie, is presumably not a show about a man's midlife crisis (but a man pursuing a dream), and yet it cast 29-year-old Melissa O'Neil to play the love interest of 47-year-old Nathan Fillion...

‘The Rookie’ Starring Nathan Fillion Officially Picked Up To Series By ABC
by Nellie Andreeva •  May 9, 2018
http://deadline.com/2018/05/the-rookie-nathan-fillion-official-series-abc-1202386638/

Written by Hawley, The Rookie is inspired by a true story. Fillion plays John Nolan, the oldest rookie in the LAPD. Starting over isn’t easy, especially for small town guy John Nolan who, after a life-altering incident, is pursuing his dream of being an LAPD officer. As the force’s oldest rookie, he’s met with skepticism from some higher-ups who see him as just a walking midlife crisis. If he can’t keep up with the young cops and the criminals, he’ll be risking lives including his own. But if he can use his life experience, determination and sense of humor to give him an edge, he may just become a success in this new chapter of his life. (watch the series’ first teaser below)

The Rookie Casts Nathan Fillion's Love Interest With Dark Matter Star
By Matt Webb Mitovich / February 8 2018, 
http://tvline.com/2018/02/08/nathan-fillion-love-interest-the-rookie-melissa-oneil/

melissa-oneil.jpg?w=620&h=420&crop=1
O’Neil has been cast in the coveted role of Lucy, an LAPD rookie who is intelligent, confident, tough and compassionate. She hails from a family of law-breakers, and is the first member of her brood to choose an honest, respectable path. (A previous version of this story listed the character’s last name as Benitez, though that will change.) During Season 1 of the new series, a budding romance develops between her and Fillion’s title character, John Nolan.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Lol - Nathan Fillion's new TV show, The Rookie, is presumably not a show about a man's midlife crisis (but a man pursuing a dream), and yet it cast 29-year-old Melissa O'Neil to play the love interest of 47-year-old Nathan Fillion...

I don't know how, but I managed to misread that as Melissa George and was shocked that she could be only 29. For the record, she's 41. I know because I checked before I noticed that this Melissa's last name is O'Neil. I'm starting to think I have a problem.

(edited)
4 hours ago, tv echo said:

‘The Rookie’ Starring Nathan Fillion Officially Picked Up To Series By ABC
by Nellie Andreeva •  May 9, 2018
http://deadline.com/2018/05/the-rookie-nathan-fillion-official-series-abc-1202386638/

The Rookie Casts Nathan Fillion's Love Interest With Dark Matter Star
By Matt Webb Mitovich / February 8 2018, 
http://tvline.com/2018/02/08/nathan-fillion-love-interest-the-rookie-melissa-oneil/

I feel like I'm being petty, but after what happened with Castle, I just am not interested in anything that Nathan Fillion does.  Add in the whole thing with the 18 year age difference between Fillion and the actress playing his love interest, and the whole thing is just "ugh no". 

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I'd be interested to see what you think! The natural sweetness of the cauliflower stopped me from being able to accept it as a rice substitute. Texture was ok.

Fasting day again today! I settled for a cob of sweetcorn and a giant grilled eggplant!

I wonder if it would work better if one toasted the cauliflower rice in the oven first.  

3 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I feel like I'm being petty, but after what happened with Castle, I just am not interested in anything that Nathan Fillion does.  Add in the whole thing with the 18 year age difference between Fillion and the actress playing his love interest, and the whole thing is just "ugh no". 

The final season of Castle was a huge feaking mess but I still have a lot of goodwill toward Fillion.  We'll never know all the details the led to the behind the scenes feud but I'm sure it wasn't all one-sided and it clearly wasn't even just an issue between the leads but involving past and new showrunners and some really terrible creative choices.  But overall, I really liked Castle for most of it's run so I'll give The Rookie a try.     

Plus I really liked Dark Matter so I already like both leads.  She comes across serious so she should be a good foil.  Now here's hoping they get along, and KEEP getting along, lol.  I have to assume he'd have learned from past mistakes.  Knock on wood.  

She's much younger but sadly the age disparity is still super common so I won't assume that's something Fillion should be blamed for.  At least they didn't go younger which could have happened given the character.  Yikes.  

1 minute ago, BkWurm1 said:

The final season of Castle was a huge feaking mess but I still have a lot of goodwill toward Fillion.  We'll never know all the details the led to the behind the scenes feud but I'm sure it wasn't all one-sided and it clearly wasn't even just an issue between the leads but involving past and new showrunners and some really terrible creative choices.

My problem wasn't the fact that they didn't get along - who knows what the deal was there.  My problem was his insistence on trying to continue the show without her.  Yes, it wasn't only him, but the show always revolved around the two of them, and it came across as extremely arrogant (to me) to think they could continue the show just focused on him.