Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

41 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

hehe shipping Olicity has its benefits! Hubby's 12 year anniversary/Valentine's Day present for me to make up for the lack of heart eyes and to thank me for wining and dining him (and buying him pretty clothes to wear on dates):

-3ZZmclavYCO67rdsYxXAluu9WL0iwK4-TpItjF8

76PvUoxA7GIkb8ocDXdZRQdnYVv7yuRC2dJgJuh2

This came all the way from Texas!!!! You Americans make gorgeous jewellery! 

You have beautiful fingernails

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Wow. He's definitely a keeper.

Haha I should clarify that he didn't pick it! He talks me through the process (I tend to agonize over a lot of things before deciding) and encourages me that's all!

I was at Tiffany's trying on their version of this bangle for size (gawd they charge thrice the price for tiny diamonds to make up for the brand!) and good old hubby rings me up. 

H: Where are you babe?

M: At Tiffany's trying on their bangles and cuffs

H: When you're done you reckon you can come home and gut my esky full of fish for me? Please hun?

Me thinking to myself: Gawd help me this is why I find solace at Tiffany's.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

It was an even bigger mess than seeing all the men falling all over the ice. 

Why is everyone falling all over the ice tonight, though?!? Nerves? Even during the pair's short program, the skaters have been slipping and sliding. I feel so bad for them but I can't help but laugh just a little when it happens and I feel like such a terrible person. Heh.

Yeah, it would make sense if something was wrong with the ice. I know the Olympics is a big stage and it makes a lot of people nervous, but not that nervous. I hope they can fix it before the next round of competition.

1 hour ago, Mary0360 said:

Lol this live tweet of Fifty Shades Freed reads as hilarious and snarky as you guys live tweeting Arrow episodes:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.cosmopolitan.com.au/amp/lifestyle/fifty-shades-freed-review-thoughts-25840

haha this was hilarious!!!!!!

I could not get past the first movie! I was so bored! So so so bored! 

33 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

Yeah, it would make sense if something was wrong with the ice. I know the Olympics is a big stage and it makes a lot of people nervous, but not that nervous. I hope they can fix it before the next round of competition.

Was it ice dancing today or Figure Skating?

1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Was it ice dancing today or Figure Skating?

It was figure skating--the team events (I think these are separate from the individual events) for the men's and pair's short programs. Tomorrow is the official opening ceremonies and, from what I can remember, the ice dancing is on Saturday (Sunday, your time).

5 minutes ago, SleepDeprived said:

It was figure skating--the team events (I think these are separate from the individual events) for the men's and pair's short programs. Tomorrow is the official opening ceremonies and, from what I can remember, the ice dancing is on Saturday (Sunday, your time).

Ahh thank you! I need to find a way to watch it! 

I love figure skating, especially the womens! Always nice to see all the new prodigies they seem to be able to dig up every four years!

10 hours ago, bijoux said:

I don’t really follow the Olympics, but I rewatched Cool Runnings the other day to mark the occasion.

Nigeria is fielding a 2-woman bobsled and a skeleton that will be their first competitors in the Winter Olympics. All ex-track competitors like in Cool Runnings. Also they look like superheroes in their official photos.

Are the figure skating competitors annoyed they have to compete in this team event? I love to watch figure skating but this team event seems like a forced ratings stunt. Imagine if one of them got injured during the team event and couldn’t compete in the main event. I suppose they could view it as like a dress rehearsal. 

16 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Is that what it was? I was wondering why they were all falling. 

Yep. Just gliding across the ice during warmups messed it up and that should never happen. It was dangerous for the skaters and I wish they or their coaches had complained and refused to skate until it was fixed. Chan falling was one thing, cause that’s normal for him, but when everyone falls there’s a big problem. 

• Love 1

I read in the Olympic Figure Skating thread that, apparently, the same arena is being used for Figure Skating and Speed Skating, and that accounts for some of the problems with the ice. If true, I can't believe they're using the same venue for two such different sports. 

14 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Why didn't anyone say anything? What if someone had gotten hurt because of the bad ice before their main events? 

Yeah, Idk if it’s in poor taste or not done to complain about the arena? I kept waiting for the commentators to say something. I did hear a radio story about the cold in Pyeongchang affecting the skis of skiers. 

Is it typical for the speed skating and figure skating to take place in the same venue? Are the rinks even the same size? 

Edited by leopardprint
47 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

Is it typical for the speed skating and figure skating to take place in the same venue? Are the rinks even the same size? 

So when I read that the figure skating arena was also being used for speed skating, my mind immediately went to long-track speed skating, and the idea of using the same venue for both events seemed crazy to me. But it turns out that it's being used for figure skating and short-track speed skating, and apparently that's been the case for all of the recent Winter Olympics. Considering how much I enjoy all three events, I can't believe I didn't realize that the figure skating and short track had been going on in the same arena all this time. So maybe it's not the dual use of the arena that's the problem, but just the fact that the ice isn't up to snuff. If that's the case, figure skating is going to be wild, but short track is going to be absolute insane. I'll be glued to my TV, for sure.

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, KenyaJ said:

short track is going to be absolute insane

Short track is insane on the best ice. If the ice is still bad, it's going to be bananas. I still remember that one guy from way back in the pack who won because everyone else wiped out. Ahhh, I love the Olympics. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

Short track is insane on the best ice. If the ice is still bad, it's going to be bananas. I still remember that one guy from way back in the pack who won because everyone else wiped out. Ahhh, I love the Olympics. 

He was Aussie!!!!!! That was such an Aussie thing! 

• Love 1

Reading the Far Away Tree books with the kid and it's struck me how much the world has changed! I LOVED (and still do) the old Saucepan Man but now as an adult in the world we live in I seriously raise my eyebrows at the parents letting their kids go off with an old man with saucepans hanging over him. hehe the kid was like "Parents in those days were a bit dodgy weren't they mummy?"

It is better if I just pretend he is a fairy creature! 

Maybe people just were less paranoid in those days.

I got invited to join some people skating this weekend and I was excited till I learned that the rink requires everyone to wear a helmet. Everyone. I can understand why kids would have to and maybe someone learning to skate but I've been skating for mumblemumble years since I was a kid. I'm in more danger crossing the street at a crosswalk than I am on the ice. Wearing a helmet kills the fun for me.

• Love 3

Thanks, that was hilarious.

I sent the link on to a friend who occasionally teaches on-line courses.  She's good, but not everyone is.

18 hours ago, bijoux said:

And we’re talking about a person with a PhD here

Sadly, not that unusual.  For me the most embarrassing part is that she didn't check it out herself first before declaring that Australia isn't a county.

The worst part for me is that even when she accepted that Austrailia WAS a country, she still warned that the student had better have gotten her facts straight and not mixed up the Austrailia the country facts with Austrailia the continent facts.  She STILL didn't get it really.  

6 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

The worst part for me is that even when she accepted that Austrailia WAS a country, she still warned that the student had better have gotten her facts straight and not mixed up the Austrailia the country facts with Austrailia the continent facts.  She STILL didn't get it really.  

The continent's social media is totally different than the country ?

On 2/10/2018 at 5:50 AM, jaye.elle said:

I honestly thought this was a parody article to begin with.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/davidmack/australia-is-real-i-swear?utm_term=.tbMB1MkJ3P#.go3anBMYoX

In all honesty, when I was in an exchange programme in Upper New York, I had a student ask me if we had dogs in Australia. Dogs. Obviously she had never heard the 'Dingoes ate my baby' story ... 

I travel extensively (at least for my family), usually 1 foreign trip per year.  My mother has only been to Canada and the Bahamas. Every country I go to she asks the same questions, did they have X there? What's Y like there? She hasn't really traveled since Globalization became a force so she still views other countries like other worlds. 

• Love 1

Does anybody watch the Planet Earth documentaries narrated by Sir David Attenborough? I've been binging Planet Earth II on Netflix and watching Blue Planet II (on BBC America) while waiting for the figure skating broadcasts on NBC and WOW. It just makes me so happy and leaves me so awe-struck at how exquisite our planet is. At the same time, it really makes me sad how badly we're treating it and all the animals we're supposed to be stewards of... Anyway, the production values are next-level amazing. How do I get these kinds of jobs because that looks like such an awesome time to be able to experience everything firsthand. Extreme close-ups of all these magnificent animals... Just wow. Do they give out awards for these kinds of mini-series documentaries? Because the producers of Planet Earth/Blue Planet deserve all the awards.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Love 6

The kid is addicted to those and uses his screen time quota on them. I enjoy them too but they make me fret about the state of the environment and the animals so there is a bit of a dampener on my enjoyment. 

On the bright side they kinda set our family on this whole recycling path.

I'm fascinated by how many hours they must spend to get the money shot. I saw hermit crabs swap shells in real life once and that took ages! They stuffed around and around. Made me appreciate how long the people must have camped out to make the documentary. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, SleepDeprived said:

It just makes me so happy and leaves me so awe-struck at how exquisite our planet is. At the same time, it really makes me sad how badly we're treating it and all the animals we're supposed to be stewards of...

The episode about the Great Barrier Reef and the corals bleaching was hard to watch. I'd read all kinds of articles about it in the past couple of years, but seeing the time lapse of it happening was just awful. And yet, it ended on a hopeful note with the generation of the new corals, so that made me feel a little bit better.

I just don't know how anyone could watch that and not care about what we're doing to the planet. Climate change denialism is just so infuriating to me. 

• Love 2

It's so cool, right? My favorites include when they went in the deep in the Antarctic because I learned that there are actually lakes within the ocean--eerie, poisonous, methane lakes with the corpses of so many sea creatures surrounding it. Also, seeing the animals in the very deep was so cool and super scary (there's an actual crab that has hand-like appendages and walks on the ocean floor). I also loved the coral reef episode but it bums me out so much, too, because of all the massive damage on the great barrier reef. I've gotten a lot more environmentally-conscious in the past several years, although, sometimes, I feel like it's almost pointless if the people in charge of governments don't even care and are actively doing things that will cause further damage, just for profit.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SleepDeprived said:

It's so cool, right? My favorites include when they went in the deep in the Antarctic because I learned that there are actually lakes within the ocean--eerie, poisonous, methane lakes with the corpses of so many sea creatures surrounding it. Also, seeing the animals in the very deep was so cool and super scary (there's an actual crab that has hand-like appendages and walks on the ocean floor). I also loved the coral reef episode but it bums me out so much, too, because of all the massive damage on the great barrier reef. I've gotten a lot more environmentally-conscious in the past several years, although, sometimes, I feel like it's almost pointless if the people in charge of governments don't even care and are actively doing things that will cause further damage, just for profit.

Oh yeah, those lakes are s freaky, but cool. And I am completely fascinated by the deep ocean creatures. Those animals look like complete freaks and alien life forms, but they're so cool. I especially love the bioluminescent ones.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Since there is no Olicity for 3 weeks I'm going to flood this thread with nonsense. 

Oats in crumble or not? I say not! Too much like muesli!

I vote for sometimes.  Sometimes I like it in an apple crisp but for other fruit, it's a hard pass and I wouldn't want it all of the time even in apple crisp.  And definitely keep them the hell away from my chocolate chip cookies!  

On 2/12/2018 at 5:04 AM, Mellowyellow said:

Since there is no Olicity for 3 weeks I'm going to flood this thread with nonsense. 

Oats in crumble or not? I say not! Too much like muesli!

I think it’s how we are raised. You say you are giving your son chocolate that is light in sugar. A lot of people would not like that but what you are doing is good. My mother put oats in desserts to give them more fiber without ruining the flavor and this is also good.

I remember reading that Jerry Seinfeld’s wife did a cookbook adding vegetables to the oddest food and it did very well. 

Edited by BunsenBurner
Can’t spell today
  • Love 1

Sometimes sneaking vegetables is the only way to get kids to eat them. I remember thinking that grated zucchini in chocolate cake was so strange but then I found it tasted good.

A love story for Valentine's Day, Thomas, the blind,bisexual and polyamorous goose has died at the age of 40.

A blind bisexual goose named Thomas has died in New Zealand at the age of 40. He spent six years in a love triangle with two swans and helped raise their dozens of babies.

Years ago, Thomas segregated himself from other geese and instead chose a black male swan named Henry as his life-long mate for 24 years.

When Henry fell in love with another swan, Henrietta, Thomas stayed with the pair and helped raise their cygnets up until Henry died in 2009.

Birdwatcher Mik Peryer, who was familiar with Thomas, told Stuff it was a 30 year love story “that should be celebrated". He added: "Prior to Henrietta turning up they had about 18 happy gay years together."

It is understood there is now talk of plans to bury his body next to his soulmate Henry in the park where they lived for all those years. 

• Love 5

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!!!!!!

Awww that was good innings for a goose! 

hehe I am a bit of an evil mother in that I don't eat the crap that I fiddle with but he's been raised on it so he doesn't know any better! He doesn't blink at chia seeds in his muffins but they stick to my teeth and are horrid imo! I also add ricotta to his blueberry butter cakes and use nutmeal in his baked goods where I can. 

My friend takes it a step even further! Last week she made kombucha jelly lollies in lego shapes. I don't know if you guys have it but think of one of those gelatinous chewy lollies. However each of her lollies is like a shot of probiotics, collagen from the gelatin and vitamin C. She brews her own kombucha. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I have never heard of kombucha before but I looked it up and I'm going to try it now. (Turns out there are manufacturers in my city.)

I loooove kombucha, but don't love the dregs at the bottom.  I pretend that doesn't exist, and don't drink those.

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I have never heard of kombucha before but I looked it up and I'm going to try it now. (Turns out there are manufacturers in my city.)

Brew your own!!!!! It's so much cheaper!

I'm funny about fermented foods so I don't drink it but my friend gives me her "scooby" babies (gelatinous mass that floats in the main fermenting mix) she calls them from her kombucha brewing and the kid baths with the scooby. Its good for your skin apparently!