Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, jay741982 said:

The lost boys TV show sounds intriguing and I'd give The Notebook a try as well as Charmed prequel

If they keep the format that they initially talked about, rebooting to a new time period every year,  (keeping the vampires and dumping the rest of the cast every year) I'm not sure if I'll really like it but I do love Rob Thomas so I'm trying to wait and see. 

Personally, I'm a sucker for old film noir and the classic gumshoe so Marlowe caught my interest.  Extra points if they turned Sam Marlowe into Samantha, lol.  I think really I just want something to fill the hole Veronica Mars left.  

• Love 3
12 hours ago, jay741982 said:

The lost boys TV show sounds intriguing and I'd give The Notebook a try as well as Charmed prequel

I really like the sound of The Lost Boys. Not feeling anything else, especially the Charmed reboot. I just hate all the reboots lately.

• Love 1
On 1/12/2017 at 7:27 AM, bijoux said:

I just finished The Force Awakens and I think I may have enjoyed it more than the original trilogy. It's just so touching and adorable. Seriously, those are my main two take backs. Rey and Finn are just the cutest two beings in the galaxy. I liked Poe as well, although his role here is actually much smaller than the press coverage and social media has lead me to believe.

Too bad Han and Leia didn't have a girl. Leia's family produces seriuosly defective males.

No love for BB-8?

Leia's mother also had some issues.  Anakin slaughters an entire village, and she doesn't care, he leads the Purge of the Jedi which included killing children and she still really didn't care, hell despite Anakin killing children she wanted him to come with her and hide.  They were both pretty messed up.  Considering how they wrote Padme in Episodes 2 and 3, it's probably a really good thing she never raised Luke or Leia.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Jediknight said:

No love for BB-8?

Sorry, my oversight. :) It was cute, especially when it went to try and wake R2D2. But for me it was really Rey and Finn who carried the whole thing. There were plenty other things I really liked, but those two were at the epicentre for me.

As for Padme, to be completely honest, I forgot what went on in episodes 1-3 as soon as I finished watching them.

• Love 1

I thought the cast of The Force Awakens was cute.  But I liked the cast of Rogue One better.

All the hype and promotion of Riverdale is actually turning me off from watching the show when it debuts next week.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Hermione/Harry.

Omg I was sooooo into it! i used to read a tonne of fanfic on Portkey.org.

My hubby (then boyfriend) would read Order of the Phoenix and took notes on all the potential shippy moments and we discussed it after. 

The forum on Portkey was awesome too but the memories of it are haunting me for Olicity. I'm reliving all my HP trauma again. And JK Rowling was actually a good writer! There is no telling what these hacks will do to butcher Olicity.

(The above was from the bitterness thread)

I know I've read at least one quote (I think in 2016) from JK Rowling saying looking back she should have done Harry/Hermione.  (or something to that effect) Does that make it better or worse? 

I have to sympathize, not only because of all my other unrealized ships but I just got around to reading the HP books this last year and even knowing that Ginny was for Harry and even looking really hard for a reason to root for that relationship and even knowing that Hermione was going to fall for Ron, yep, I still shipped Harry and Hermione.  

They made so much more sense, got all the best emotional beats, had a set of strengths and weaknesses that slotted together made them unstoppable and the kind of unbreakable loyalty and fearlessness that is a bit epic all on it's own.  Really the only reason I can figure that she even looked at Ron was all the time they got stuck together without Harry around (summer vacations)

I get that by Harry eventually marrying Ginny and Ron marrying Hermione, Harry got to be officially part of the family and his best friends get turned into his brother and sister which is an ideal ending for a lonely, abandoned child, but isn't as satisfying when he's grown and the romantic matches now feel forced to fit the character unlike when he was that unloved foundling

Ginny isn't unlikable, but she just isn't important enough to most of the story for me to really get that invested in.  She's no more prominent than her mother or father in Harry's life.  Less I would argue.  And their romantic arc was terrible.  Very underwritten.  Worse than Hermione and Ron's.   

I was assured by many that she was so much better written in the books than the movies, but I have to say, she didn't do a lot much more in the books.  That was very disappointing.  

Oh well.  I reassure myself that in twenty years they'll make the books into a TV show and piss off the purists by following where the characters lead rather than book canon.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

Sometimes I feel like the only person who doesn't understand Harry/Hermione. I mean I get why people would see it in the movies (the butchering of Ginny, the adjustments of the Trio), but I don't get at all from the books. 

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

(The above was from the bitterness thread)

I know I've read at least one quote (I think in 2016) from JK Rowling saying looking back she should have done Harry/Hermione.  (or something to that effect) Does that make it better or worse? 

haha I cackled the day they released that article. There was something about the shipping wars with Harry Potter that made my blood boil. I relished in the fact that the Ron/Hermione shippers (after years of gloating) got their ship tainted!!!! May it be ruined for them forever muhahahahhahaha!!!!!!!! Hubby is a much better person (we like the same things, he's just like 1000 times calmer than me about stuff) and reckons that JK Rowling should never have made those comments and let the Ron/Hermione people have their ship.

YES YES YES to EVERYTHING you wrote in your post!!!!!!!

I can't even remember it properly now (further proof than I can recover from Olicity!) but I vaguely recall it being written as if Harry just woke up one day and thought Ginny was the most booootiful ever and WHAM CRUSH.

I also hated Ron and thought Hermione was waaaaaay too good for him. He was an insecure little ### (at least that's how I remember it) and I don't think Hermione with all of her brilliance could have built a life with him. For one thing I don't think he could have coped with how brilliant she was! 

OMG I have had this conversation with hubby like a zillion times! I really have let it go I have! I don't want to be like this with Olicity in 10 years time!!!! Nooooooooooo

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Sometimes I feel like the only person who doesn't understand Harry/Hermione. I mean I get why people would see it in the movies (the butchering of Ginny, the adjustments of the Trio), but I don't get at all from the books. 

Your definitely not alone. I'd Take it one step further and say I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't understand shipping in HP

I'd say movies I totally get the Harry/Hermonioe because Daniel and Emma had on screen chemistry which was played up by the director.

But they really weren't written as romantically interested in each other in the novels. I mean pretty much from book 1 or 2 Rowling laid the ground work for the love/hate (really love) opposites attract banter between Ron and Hermione. I kind of saw Harry and Hermione more like the Dawson and Joey to Ron and Hermiones Pacey and Joey. Harry and Hermione loved each other deeply in a platonic way but Hermione and Ron were romantically attracted to one another. 

I mean most the time Harry seemed uninterested in romance all together haha

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 7

I love Harry Potter but I never got involved in the fandom. I was in a very comfortable bubble reading my fanfic and devouring the books and enjoying the movies. J.K coming out and making the comments about Hermione/Harry/Ron actually upset me. I loved the books as a whole and it did feel like she tainted them a bit. It's like you get your happy ending and then the author devalues it. It sucks.

• Love 2

I loved Harry Potter but didn't get involved in the fandom besides reading some fic, with an odd affection for fics involving Snape, Remus Lupin, or Neville Longbottom.  I didn't ship anyone hard, but I liked Hermione and Ron together and was disappointed by Rowlings comments. 

The Harry Potter fandom discussion got me thinking of the Msscribe story, the most spectacular bit of fandom wank that ever existed, but I'm not finding the write up, which makes me concerned that it was lost to the internet. Whenever I think that the Arrow fandom is getting wanky, I just remember that neither the Olicity fans nor the Lauliver fans have dragged Joe Biden into the fandom wars. Yet.

10 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

Your definitely not alone. I'd Take it one step further and say I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't understand shipping in HP

I'd say movies I totally get the Harry/Hermonioe because Daniel and Emma had on screen chemistry which was played up by the director.

But they really weren't written as romantically interested in each other in the novels. I mean pretty much from book 1 or 2 Rowling laid the ground work for the love/hate (really love) opposites attract banter between Ron and Hermione. I kind of saw Harry and Hermione more like the Dawson and Joey to Ron and Hermiones Pacey and Joey. Harry and Hermione loved each other deeply in a platonic way but Hermione and Ron were romantically attracted to one another. 

I think I fall into that category too. I enjoyed the canon pairings because I got them and they just kind of flowed with the books, but I couldn't really see the passion with it. I mean, I read shipper fanfic and with Harry Potter I read James/Lily. 

I read Ron/Hermione and Hermione/Harry the same way. I was surprised that so many people saw Harry/Ginny as coming out of nowhere. I saw the set up from the early books.

9 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I loved Harry Potter but didn't get involved in the fandom besides reading some fic, with an odd affection for fics involving Snape, Remus Lupin, or Neville Longbottom.  I didn't ship anyone hard, but I liked Hermione and Ron together and was disappointed by Rowlings comments. 

The Harry Potter fandom discussion got me thinking of the Msscribe story, the most spectacular bit of fandom wank that ever existed, but I'm not finding the write up, which makes me concerned that it was lost to the internet. Whenever I think that the Arrow fandom is getting wanky, I just remember that neither the Olicity fans nor the Lauliver fans have dragged Joe Biden into the fandom wars. Yet.

Joe Biden? What? Lol

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Joe Biden? What? Lol

Msscribe claimed that a rival group of shippers outed her fan fiction writing to her boss, Joe Biden, and that he fired her.  As it turns out, it was one of many fabrications she made and then blamed on her nanny.

1 hour ago, thegirlsleuth said:

It may have been lost when the Fandom Wank site went down.  Try the Wayback Machine.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080901220006/http://wiki.fandomwank.com/index.php/The_Ms._Scribe_Sto

I think this may have been what you were looking for - the actual write up.

http://charlottelennox.livejournal.com/887.html

Also this is interesting (and disturbing-be warned) reading:

http://www.dailydot.com/society/fandomwank-10-best-drama-stories-anniversary/

Edited by Starfish35
Found better links
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

haha I cackled the day they released that article. There was something about the shipping wars with Harry Potter that made my blood boil. I relished in the fact that the Ron/Hermione shippers (after years of gloating) got their ship tainted!!!! May it be ruined for them forever muhahahahhahaha!!!!!!!! Hubby is a much better person (we like the same things, he's just like 1000 times calmer than me about stuff) and reckons that JK Rowling should never have made those comments and let the Ron/Hermione people have their ship.

YES YES YES to EVERYTHING you wrote in your post!!!!!!!

I can't even remember it properly now (further proof than I can recover from Olicity!) but I vaguely recall it being written as if Harry just woke up one day and thought Ginny was the most booootiful ever and WHAM CRUSH.

I also hated Ron and thought Hermione was waaaaaay too good for him. He was an insecure little ### (at least that's how I remember it) and I don't think Hermione with all of her brilliance could have built a life with him. For one thing I don't think he could have coped with how brilliant she was! 

OMG I have had this conversation with hubby like a zillion times! I really have let it go I have! I don't want to be like this with Olicity in 10 years time!!!! Nooooooooooo

I still feel like Olicity is happening.  But I get it, talk to me about Smallville and Chlark and I can instantly go back to all the old rants.  At this point it's almost like going back and playing the greatest hits. 

38 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

No, I agree that they weren't written as romantic but neither were Ron and Hermione or Harry and Ginny for the early books.  (I don't count preteen Ginny's early -and silent- crush on Harry as romantic) But the foundation for a deeper connection was there IMO more for Harry and Hermione than Ron or Ginny.  The pivot from friends to something more would have been very easy to write.  

With Ron and Hermione Rowling laid the groundwork that Ron was really dismissive of Hermione and that Hermione was often really upset with him.  It's just that I didn't read it as a love/hate thing but more of OMG Ron is such a dumbass.  And while Hermione inexplicably was interested in Ron, any interest of an physical nature was really long in coming, so again, that kind of late blooming awareness would have been easy to write in.  

10 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I think I fall into that category too. I enjoyed the canon pairings because I got them and they just kind of flowed with the books, but I couldn't really see the passion with it. I mean, I read shipper fanfic and with Harry Potter I read James/Lily. 

I read Ron/Hermione and Hermione/Harry the same way. I was surprised that so many people saw Harry/Ginny as coming out of nowhere. I saw the set up from the early books.

Joe Biden? What? Lol

I was never a big shipper in regards to Harry Potter.  I knew before I saw the movies how the pairings were supposed to go but I just found them jarring in the movies.  It was actually you guys mentioning that there was so much lost from the books that prompted me to break my resistance to reading them.  (which was just a protest thing to the hype)

But the thing is, reading the books made me find the choice of Harry and Ginny more jarring.  I could see it coming with her crush, but yeah, after years of seeing her as just his friend's little sister that once got in trouble with Tom Riddle's diary, suddenly out of the blue for no reason I could tell he was jealous of her dating, thought she was sooo super pretty and he starts to pine.  Why?  Maybe he was just that shallow?  I mean, that's why he liked the other girl who's name I'm blanking on.   (Who by the way, the movies threw under the bus)

And then by the last book when he's old enough so that his romantic relationship should be a big thing, she's not vital to anything.  

Now, the final book was kind of a mess, in desperate need of editing, but since they made Hermione's relationship with Ron kind of a big thing, the imbalance of the main character's relationship being so much a tell and not show thing just shone a light on all the problems.  And then you have Ron go off in a huff and even more time and focus is spent on Harry and Hermione.

No, they weren't written as anything but platonic, but so many of the story beats of forging them as this team on top of all the emotional beats through all the previous books where it's Hermione that is really the one most worried and most relieved when things are happening to Harry, I was constantly aware that writing her as the love interest would have worked so much better for the book.  

It really I think for me, was less about shipping and more about recognizing where the story wanted to go, but was not allowed to.  

Basically, I've always assumed the books would make Harry and Ginny / Ron and Hermione work and I was eagerly waiting for that, but even though Ginny was more of a character in the books, I think they actually did a better job in the movie in showing why Harry liked her.  And as for Ron, everything I disliked about him in the movies was amplified in the books.  I don't find anything romantic about dumb.  

But my investment in the pairings of Harry Potter is rather low.  I just was annoyed that the better story wasn't told. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Chaser said:

I love Harry Potter but I never got involved in the fandom. I was in a very comfortable bubble reading my fanfic and devouring the books and enjoying the movies. J.K coming out and making the comments about Hermione/Harry/Ron actually upset me. I loved the books as a whole and it did feel like she tainted them a bit. It's like you get your happy ending and then the author devalues it. It sucks.

I sometimes feels like JK Rowling overshares in her interviews. It's one thing to divulge information like Dumbledore being gay. But to go back and say you regret the relationships you established to me undermines some of the impact of the work. I also wonder if its just her speculating on how the series and characters could have been different and then it gets reported in a distorted way. I also think Potter series has taken on a life of it's own, so for JK sometimes it seems hard to not get swept up in some of the different versions.

Emma Watson was an amazing Hermione, who could not love her that I think it blurs the lines for JK and audiences. The EW version of Hermione did not exist in the book to me. For me I could see HP in the books & movies looking at Hermione as a romantic option. In the novels, I never saw HP even consider Hermione a romantic option. For me they always seemed like brother & sister, and not bro/sis grow up to fall in love with each other. For me they were straight up bro/sis gonna stick together us against the world mentality with inside jokes and things only family understands - but immensely PLATONIC.

----

My thoughts on HP/GW & HG/RW:

I will say I have loved HP & Ginny together. I read the book in my 20s the first time and absolutely fell in love with Ginny's trajectory. I really didn't know what shipping was and looking back I most definitely shipped HP/G from book 2. When book 6 happened, I was over the moon. I actually went to the store midway through reading parts to get a congratulatory bottle of wine to finish off the novel. I can also safely say, I have never & will never forgive the film series for ruining the HP/GW relationship, esp their first kiss. For me her character was developed, and I think part of the reason JK wrote her the way she did was to keep her from appearing like a sister to HP. HP was always an honorary Weasley but I never picked up on a sibling relationship with HP & GW, like I did with HP & the Weasley boys. I feel like GW kept a distance because she was pining for him, which I can relate too. I also really enjoyed how she became a badass on her own. Had her own journey and kicked ass without needing a man or HP. I loved that even though she was in love with HP, she never let it define her or limit her. For me, that was an important element of their love story. I think a lot of YA relationships, the girl is defined by & limited by her love interests and for me that did not happen with GW.

As for HG & Ron, well I always did pick up on the opposites attract/hidden love. I always figured Ron was in love with HG, but unable to process it like a lot of young men have trouble with. Frankly, I thought it was more of a first love/puppy love from HG's side. I definitely didn't see them ending up together, married with children. I always thought HG would have been better suited with someone not in the Gryffindor inner circle. I also saw her liking a more intellectual type of person. But perhaps Ron balanced her out. She did date Krum, and he did not seem to be a deep thinker. So maybe she was attracted to a different type of person, than who I would have matched her with. I do wonder, if it was just convenience for JK to put HG/Ron together in the epilogue as married with children and that is what she regrets most. It's not that she necessarily wanted HP/HG together, but that she wanted a better pairing for both Ron & HG. @BkWurm1 wrote above that she thought by marrying HP/GW she finally made HP an official Weasley, for me that's what it seemed like with HG. She never really was part of the Weasley family, was always a tag-along (not in a bad way, but still not family). So by marrying her off to RW, JK made her official.

My thoughts on Romance in HP:

I will have to say the romantic arcs for all the Potter characters were underdeveloped. I don't look at the Potter books as great romantic novels. They are amazing books and I will cherish them always. I absolutely love the characters and JK was in that elite class of writers that transported audiences to a whole other world. She wrote in a way that made the characters seem less like characters in a book and more like your friends/family. The best way I can describe it, although it does not do it justice - JK created characters that felt so real that you could imagine their lives outside of the plot lines that she wrote. I can imagine infinite stories and character interactions. So in that regard, I can piece together the romantic arcs for the characters outside of the limited timeline of what JK covered. I can imagine HP/GW having truly romantic moments in Hogwarts that are not covered in the novel. I can imagine them after the events of book 7 reconnecting and recognizing the depth of their love that was skimmed over in the books.

Because frankly, romance was not the purpose of the Potter books. It was part of the story and the journey, but it was not the main focus. However, because the characters are so authentic, genuine and real, the romance becomes very palpable for characters even if JK didn't write it. She was brilliant at writing characters and relationships (of all kind). But I do not think her romance novel writing skills were the best in this series. She can write characters in a romantic plot, but I would not describe her writing as romantic. So I loved HP/GW together, but I can see how other people had their own pairings that they loved. I will say like in real life, sometimes people don't end up with who we would have chosen for them, sometimes they end up with not the perfect fit, and other times the fit just shouldn't work on paper but it's amazing & perfect in real life. Love is truly a magical and quirky thing sometimes, and I think JK's novels captured a lot of different aspects and elements of Love, even if the romantic arcs were a little underdeveloped.

Edited by kismet

This is Us' lastest episode is complete filler. I mean, I was sorry for Dr K and annoyed with his pushy son, and sorry for Joe, though I don't think his mood in this episode fit what we saw of him in the hospital. However, I can't say I got much from the experience. 

The Big Bang Theory got a three season renewal at one point. Lost did for seasons four to six, right? Orange is the New Black has been renewed until season seven, I think. American Horror Story got a two season renewal the other week, too, and it was already renewed so they'll go until at least season nine.

I'm catching up with This is Us at the minute and I just noticed that flashback Kate had a poster for the Buffy movie in her room! I'm such a mess because even a reference to that version of Buffy just makes me happy, and the poster was barely in the shot anyway. 

• Love 1

I shipped Hermione with Viktor Krum because he appreciated her while Harry and Ron were still thinking of her as an inferiorly attractive girl.  I could never get into shipping Hermione with either Harry or Ron after that.  Although I have to admit, I preferred the earlier books to the later ones.  But for YA fantasy, I'd much rather read Tamora Pierce.

• Love 2

I think what's unusual is for a freshman show to get a multi-year renewal, especially on broadcast.  Older successful shows will get them occasionally.  BBT as you mentioned, NCIS, etc.  But usually not first year shows. 

• Love 3

Well correct me if I'm wrong but after Empire This is Us is the next highest rated scripted show on air right? It's probably NBC just securing the shows place and showing their confidence that the show will continue rating well. Now it's up to the writers to keep the show relevant and not have the concept wear thin I guess. 

It sucks that a craptastic show like Reign gets renewed on lower ratings on the CW but Pitch which has on par ratings that's actually good sometimes bordering on exceptional writing will probably get shafted. The injustice of it all

2 hours ago, LeighAn said:

It sucks that a craptastic show like Reign gets renewed on lower ratings on the CW but Pitch which has on par ratings that's actually good sometimes bordering on exceptional writing will probably get shafted. The injustice of it all

Oh,  I've long adjusted to the fact that anything I truly love (except for Arrow I suppose,  but that love is in question at the moment) is destined to fall before it even has had a chance it hit its prime.   Life isn't fair. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, LeighAn said:

I just want them to renew Pitch but I don't think it's going to happen.

2 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

No, I don't think it's going to happen either, but I've been surprised before.

2 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

I'd love more of Pitch, and more of Timeless, but I think they're both goners. Stupid peak tv.

Come on guys, believe in the possibility Pitch will be renewed.

I've wanted to check out Timeless again (dropped it after 2nd ep) but probably won't if it doesn't get renewed. Pitch, though, I have a little bit of faith. Looks like it did really well on social media during its run. And if it's got MLB ties, maybe Fox won't be so quick to pull the trigger?

20 hours ago, bijoux said:

This is Us' lastest episode is complete filler. I mean, I was sorry for Dr K and annoyed with his pushy son, and sorry for Joe, though I don't think his mood in this episode fit what we saw of him in the hospital. However, I can't say I got much from the experience. 

I really liked the episode. It was filler. But for me it was like quality chocolate ganache in a yummy candy - or like the cake Rebecca kept on describing. I just really liked the heart the episode showed. I also do really liked the flashbacks. I enjoy finding out more about Rebecca & Jake's relationship. For me they are just as pivotal and rewarding to watch as present day. Also a needed break from the present day was needed after the plot exposition bonanza of the previous episode. Dr. K is always a welcome guest for me. The firefighter part seemed a little out of place - could have done without it. I would have preferred they skipped that, but I think they wanted to parallel marriages. I read a comment somewhere that they wish they had shown more about William, but I think they are saving that.

I did hear rumblings that they are going to tackle Jack's death soon, I still don't know if I'm ready for it. I was hoping they would not do it until s2 or s3.

13 hours ago, bijoux said:
Wow. How many times has this happened before?

Not sure, but I know ABC did it for LOST. I do wonder if the reason they told the creators was so they could properly plan out the flashbacks & present day. If so, thank you NBC!! It is really a good move for the network from a story angle because it allows for them to tackle what they want to tackle when they want to, not because of fear of cancellation or squeezing it in at the last moment. Imagine how much better ARROW would be if the writers knew exactly how many seasons it was getting. Not saying it would fix all the writing problems, but I definitely think it would have improved the later seasons flashbacks and maybe a more stable trajectory for O/F.

11 hours ago, LeighAn said:

I agree with the injustice to a point. And I do feel for you and others that want their shows renewed in this new more cutthroat TV world. But I also think the budgets, exposure and expectations are different on CW v. Fox. So with lower exposure comes lower budgets and lower expectations. Reign could have been a better show if it was given more money for better writers, cast, sets, etc. Also the contracts and distribution are different, especially internationally. I really do admire how the CW is able to wield the limited power it does have considering it's neither has the money or clout of being a big network TV or cable channel.

That being said, I do see a lot of social media presence for PITCH. So if Fox lets it go, maybe it will wind up on streaming or cable.

• Love 1

It's amazing what a difference a good role and good writing can make. Take Luke Mitchell, for example...

On The Tomorrow People, his character John Young was interesting and charismatic - arguably the best thing on that show.

Then on Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, his character Lincoln Campbell was bland, barely there and disposable.  He had few lines and fewer layers.  

Now on Blindspot, his character Roman is complicated, conflicted and ambiguous - his sibling relationship with Jane is arguably the most interesting storyline of that show this season.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

I just finished s1 of Blindspot and for me it was rather meh. Like a poor man's mash up of Alias s3 and every other Govt Agency procedural out there. The Tattoos were a twist, but for most of the season they were simply a passing line in the episode set-up. I really thought they would be more important or perhaps they should have blended more routine FBI with the conspiracy to make the Conspiracy & tattoos seem more important. I didn't get those bubbles of anticipation until the final episodes, that the tattoos were important or Jane's situation was unique & time-sensitive.

Does s2 get better?? Is it worth watching??

I have always enjoyed Luke Mitchell in the roles he has played. Is it worthwhile to tune in just for him?

Sidenote - Seeing Ashley Johnson on screen again really made me miss Alan Thicke. It also didn't help that NBC had his scene on a This is Us clip that I had scene earlier in the week.

21 hours ago, kismet said:

I just finished s1 of Blindspot and for me it was rather meh. Like a poor man's mash up of Alias s3 and every other Govt Agency procedural out there. The Tattoos were a twist, but for most of the season they were simply a passing line in the episode set-up. I really thought they would be more important or perhaps they should have blended more routine FBI with the conspiracy to make the Conspiracy & tattoos seem more important. I didn't get those bubbles of anticipation until the final episodes, that the tattoos were important or Jane's situation was unique & time-sensitive.

Does s2 get better?? Is it worth watching??

I have always enjoyed Luke Mitchell in the roles he has played. Is it worthwhile to tune in just for him?

Sidenote - Seeing Ashley Johnson on screen again really made me miss Alan Thicke. It also didn't help that NBC had his scene on a This is Us clip that I had scene earlier in the week.

I think that S2 of Blindspot is better than S1. But like all of Berlanti's current tv shows, it's got its flaws. I don't like the tattoos gimmick and for much of S1, Jane had this deer-in-the-headlights look which got annoying after awhile. In S2, the lead guy Kurt Weller has improved but could still use some work (although I've seen the actor in other roles, where he excelled). The supporting cast is still weak, including fan fave Patterson.  However, I find myself watching for the relationship between Jane and her brother Roman. In fact, I may be watching Blindspot live instead of Arrow next week.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, tv echo said:

I think that S2 of Blindspot is better than S1. But like all of Berlanti's current tv shows, it's got its flaws. I don't like the tattoos gimmick and for much of S1, Jane had this deer-in-the-headlights look which got annoying after awhile. In S2, the lead guy Kurt Weller has improved but could still use some work (although I've seen the actor in other roles, where he excelled). The supporting cast is still weak, including fan fave Patterson.  However, I find myself watching for the relationship between Jane and her brother Roman. In fact, I may be watching Blindspot live instead of Arrow next week.

Thanks! How important or annoying is the red-head (actress Amber Skye Noye), because I hated her acting in BATB??

Patterson's writing is weak, she was best with her BF in s1. Those were fun scenes and reminded me that the premise of the show was actually to solve the puzzle and the mystery of Jane. But when she's in the group setting, I find her waffling to make connections based on the script, because she is isolated as intel support. Although I do have a soft spot for her as an actress after growing up with her a little on TV.

Kurt's writing & acting was unbalanced. I didn't know if I should be rooting for him or not. I can see how many people felt he needed work. I agree he was most in need of improvement.

I think the deer-in-headlights look is just an acting crutch of Jaime Alexander. Unless she is playing a badass moment, I find it hard to see her emoting on anything, so the d-i-h look made sense to me. Since they also backburned her POV for a lot of the season, it was hard to understand what she was thinking or feeling. I also understood that she was really supposed to have no idea what was going on, so d-i-h look was supposed to be JAs way of making us feel that, good acting choice but it needed to blended with other acting choices to get the message home.

4 hours ago, kismet said:

Thanks! How important or annoying is the red-head (actress Amber Skye Noye), because I hated her acting in BATB??

She had an important role as Kat Jarrett in this week's Jan. 18 episode (212-"Devil Never Even Lived"), which was a very good episode.  Here's a spoilery recap: http://ew.com/recap/blindspot-season-2-episode-12/ 

For a more in-depth review: http://www.itsjustaboutwrite.com/2017/01/blindspot-2x12-review-devil-never-even.html

So since Kat was killed in this episode, she wasn't around long enough to become annoying.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

So I just binged the second season of Voltron: Legendary Defender on Netflix.  Then I spent about a half hour reading up on the differences between the versions.  I know some people here had mentioned Keith/Allura shipping from the original series.  While I didn't see any in the first season, I think there were some hints in that direction in the second season.  And now with (spoilers for the end of the second season) 

Spoiler

Shiro having mysteriously disappeared and Keith positioned to take over leadership of the team, it might be moving closer to the original in some aspects. 

• Love 1