Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Just binged on Killjoys in prep for tonight's finale and GOD-FUCKING-DAMNIT! #StopKillingCharactersILike

That hashtag could be used for Supernatural, so many darn times.

And Oklahoma just tied their record for most powerful earthquake, and we felt it here in Kansas.  Stupid fracking.

• Love 2
  • Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 4:34 AM, FurryFury said:

I dropped Killjoys, all the romancing all over the place bored me. And everybody loves Dutch way too much. I hate the term Mary Sue, but the show really started to handle her like one. I used to prefer Killjoys to Dark Matter, but DM is much better this season (still not perfect, of course, but thumbs up for getting rid of the worst character of the show AND the stupid quasi-love triangle).

I kind of think that they have handled Dutch much better this year.  Has there been more of a focus on D'avin?  I guess I tune out when that happens, lol. I have enjoyed Dutch and Johnny's relationship.  It's funny, 75% of the time I wanted to smack Aaron Ashmore on Smallville but I adore him on Killjoys. 

Sigh. Not happy about what they did last week (which is why I haven't watched this week's yet) but I'd been worried about that character's longevity since the end of last season.  And the moment they seemed to be getting some possible long term happiness... yep, look out.  And still they caught me off guard. 

Dark Matter has been my fav of the two from the start.  It just takes itself less seriously.  So much freaking mythology and backstory for Killjoys.  Also, anytime I see dangerous green stuff and Aaron Ashmore on the screen, I have Kryptonite flashbacks. 

Edited by BkWurm1

I used to enjoy Dutch and Johnny, but all the shipping around the show turned me off because I seriously don't want any romance between these two and some posters on these boards are a bit too insistent on them absolutely definitely ending up together, even if the showrunner seems to disagree. And without discussions, the show just doesn't interest me that much. I also don't hate or dislike Davin at all, so I'm a weirdo, apparently.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

I don't dislike Davin but I also don't find what they have him do on his own that memorable.  Also I find only my deepest obsession shows ever get me regularly to discussion boards.  

As for Dutch and Johnny as a couple?  Hell no.  Not only do they in show find the idea of each other as anything other than brother/sister just gross (without even that standard hint of irony or denial used sometimes), but it would be another case of sibling swapping.  I like their relationship because it been blatantly spelled out that it isn't like that and there's no pining or wanting more on either side.  I'm a huge shipper but that's a pairing I can't see myself ever rooting for and honestly, I haven't seen any in show hints of such a destination.  I'm kind of appalled to learn it's a thing out there some are wanting.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.   

Edited by BkWurm1

Even people who don't ship seem to think they're going to end up together. I was surprised, too (and I also thought about sibling swapping, but the show already went there with Pawter anyway...) I loved their platonic familial vibe in s1, it was refreshing, and there was no inappropriate chemistry there.

Aaron Ashmore is one of those actors that I just have an inexplicable knee jerk dislike for.  It might be Smallville related since I think that's the first thing I saw him in, but since I hardly remember him there, I can't really think so.  It's not that he's a bad actor or plays bad characters - just something about him annoys me and I cannot put my finger in what it is.  I just know that I groan every time I find out he's been cast on one of my shows.

ETA: No, I just checked IMDb; the first thing I saw him in was Veronica Mars.  That....actually might be where it comes from, come to think of it.  

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

A long time ago a friend and I decided Shawn is the bad actor who's prettier which is why he gets better gigs like X-Men movies, while Aaron is the one with the acting chops, but he's the ugly identical twin, so he gets Smallville and other genre shit.

• Love 2

I'm so looking forward to Conviction. I don't like to pre-ship but it's Hayley Atwell and Eddie Cahill. It's going to happen. Also Emily Kinney and Manny Montana. That one could happen too.

Which Ashmore was The Following? He was good in that. I have a soft spot for the twins because one played Jake on Animorphs. 

• Love 1

IMDb says it was Shawn in The Following. 

Conviction - I do love both Hayley Atwell and Eddie Cahill, but just from the trailer, I get the feeling that I would hate the character that Hayley plays, so I'm going to give that a pass.  No sense in spoiling all my Agent Carter goodwill.   I learned from Fairly Legal that even an actor/actress I like cannot always save a character.  I love Sarah Shahi, but I couldn't stand Kate Reed.

Edited by Starfish35
27 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

A long time ago a friend and I decided Shawn is the bad actor who's prettier which is why he gets better gigs like X-Men movies, while Aaron is the one with the acting chops, but he's the ugly identical twin, so he gets Smallville and other genre shit.

I googled them and I honestly don't see much of a difference in looks.

4 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

I liked Aaron Ashmore in Veronica Mars but his time on Smallville was rough to the point that I never did warm up to him on Warehouse 13 and I cringed when I saw he was cast on Killjoys but he made me forget his past roles here.  In the past I would have agreed with you on who is "prettier" but I think Aaron has aged into his looks and right now I think he has the more interesting and attractive face.  Shawn now seems too generic and bland. 

As for Sibling Swapping, I'd managed to convince myself I remembered wrong about Davin and Pawter, lol.  Again, ignorance = bliss

They make crappy "identical" twins, lol.  Aaron's eyes are smaller, more squinty and his head is rounder.  Maybe they looked more like each other as really young children? 

Edited by BkWurm1

Lol. 

It's funny, I'm usually terrible with faces (seriously, if someone I've just met changed clothes I won't recognize them) but for some reason their differences stand out to me. 

Edited by BkWurm1

I'm putting this here because the question was prompted by watching Suits. To me, it seems like they are pulling a ship-stall on Harvey and Donna which I am finding frustrating after last season's progress. It's like what is happening with Oliver and Felicity, except with less baby mama foolishness.  Me and the dude started talking about show's keeping couples apart so they don't kill the magic.  There's the Moonlighting curse (which might have been the Cybil Shepherds pregnancy/Bruce Willis' move career/writer's strike curse), but is there another show where everything just deflated after they got together?  I had an easy time coming up with shows where they continued to thrive even after the couple got together (Ben and Leslie, Sam and Diane, or John and Aeryn) and where my enjoyment suffered because I think they stalled too long (Veronica and Logan, Luke and Lorelei, Lee and Kara, Ross and Rachel). I'm just trying to figure out why show runners drag things out, when to me, it would be more natural for them to get together, and if I had some examples where the show's collapsed after a pairing got together, I might be more accepting. I'd love to see Oliver and Felicity as Nick and Nora Charles except with more leather pants, but I can't have nice things.

In other news, I'm not enjoying Suits as much as I used to.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I'd love to see Oliver and Felicity as Nick and Nora Charles except with more leather pants,

Sign me up!

I can't figure out where the show even goes once they get Mike out of jail (cause of course they will)

To me, it seems like they are pulling a ship-stall on Harvey and Donna which I am finding frustrating after last season's progress.

Yeah, I was happy with the progress last season when they moved her away from being his secretary but then they seemed to have changed their minds and derailed it when they had Donna move on and then even more so when she went BACK to working for Harvey, but now with her dumping her boyfriend after he asked her to move in cause he's not what she wants long term seems to be saying that they are going to still go through with Harvey and Donna but at this point I'm so confused over if I even want it since on top of her being back as his secretary, they hardly even have scenes together anymore.  

I'm barely watching Suits [a few weeks ago I binged 3 episodes in about 25 minutes total because I skipped every prison scene], but they definitely sequestered Donna in a Louis Island. And worse -- Donna's not even the sidekick, she's babysitting his love life. Yuck.

And the boyfriend she had that she dumped that we never even saw -- I can't care about any of it, because they didn't show us this relationship. For all I know Donna has an imaginary boyfriend that she mentions every now and then to make a point about someone else's relationship. Double yuck.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 1

Suits is definitely a show that should have had a limited run.  They don't have a clue any more where to take it.

11 hours ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I'd love to see Oliver and Felicity as Nick and Nora Charles except with more leather pants, but I can't have nice things.

That was Castle (except for the leather pants) for the first seven seasons.  And then they decided to "go back to the old energy" and broke them up.  Horrible season.

There were only 6 Thin Man movies and I didn't enjoy the later ones as much. I guess it's hard to keep it on that edge.

13 hours ago, thegirlsleuth said:

Neither am I, if it weren't for Louis I would have given up on the show.  At some point they decided to make everybody as unlikable as possible, and we're still supposed to like them.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I didn't know where else to put it, but Supernatural won that EW cover battle where Arrow was in the final running. Congrats to Supernatural fans.

I always figured SPN won the battle. Love the little Moose and Squirrel in the title.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I always figured SPN won the battle. Love the little Moose and Squirrel in the title.  

Ha! I didn't notice that. Cute. Does it have any meaning? I just like that they included the Impala.

7 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Ha! I didn't notice that. Cute. Does it have any meaning? I just like that they included the Impala.

Crowley calls them Moose and Squirrel which fits given that Crowley is pretty much Boris (short and dressed all in black)

• Love 4

My heart is breaking over the new details coming out about the 27 year old kidnapping and now murder case of Jacob Wetterling.  Here in Minnesota his smiling 11 year old face became as familiar as any family photo.  I was a kid when he was taken at gun point while riding home on his bike with his brother and friend.  I remember the weeks of searching for him in the news.  All the plees to bring him home.  I remember that the bikes got put away early that fall and mom and dad drove us everywhere instead.  Everyone's mom and dad drove them everywhere. 

Every year at the very least on his birthday and on the anniversary of his abduction, all the news stations and papers strived to keep his story fresh in the minds of everyone, his family still hoping he was out there somewhere alive. 

He asked his kidnapper "What did I do wrong?"  I am weeping.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

I don't have that. Just B, I U, link, quote, bullets, spoiler and search?

ETA: This is odd, if I  put my phone into Desktop Mode, the options change. I now get B, I, S, link, quote, bullet, numbers, spoiler and code

Edited by Morrigan2575

Anyone else having difficulty scrolling all the way to the bottom of the page in some of the forums?  I have to scroll to the top to get back to the main Arrow page since if I try to go past the reply box it bounces me back up. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

Anyone else having difficulty scrolling all the way to the bottom of the page in some of the forums?  I have to scroll to the top to get back to the main Arrow page since if I try to go past the reply box it bounces me back up. 

I don't know if we're talking about the same problem, but if I click to go to the last entry it immediately bounces me a half a page up.  This happens on all my computers.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I don't know if we're talking about the same problem, but if I click to go to the last entry it immediately bounces me a half a page up.  This happens on all my computers.

No, that's something different.  But yeah, it's absolutely been happening a lot as well.  It's especially bad on the Spoiler's Only thread.  I get that problem in addition to the inability to scroll to the bottom of the page.  You know the click bait articles at the verrrry bottom?  Yeah, I can't even look at them.  No huge loss there but I would like to click on the Arrow home page  tab without having to manually scroll back to the top of the page. 

I have another problem - after the last update, when I click on any thread with new messages, the page doesn't load on the latest new message, like it did before, but rather a few messages higher so I have to scroll down. It's VERY annoying (and it happens both on my laptop and my tablet). The new messages are still framed as new, the page just doesn't center on them.

• Love 3

I'm getting the weird jumps too, especially when the page has a lot of embedded stuff from social media. Then THEY get wonky too. For example, this is how bijoux's post with the SPN cover up this thread is showing up to me right now:

screenshot-forums.previously.tv 2016-09-14 07-28-27.png

That kind of cutting of embedded stuff is happening A LOT with Instagram and Twitter posts. Most on Windows PC than iOS and Android, but it does happen on mobile devices sometimes too.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

No, that's something different.  But yeah, it's absolutely been happening a lot as well.  It's especially bad on the Spoiler's Only thread.  I get that problem in addition to the inability to scroll to the bottom of the page.  You know the click bait articles at the verrrry bottom?  Yeah, I can't even look at them.  No huge loss there but I would like to click on the Arrow home page  tab without having to manually scroll back to the top of the page. 

I think it's because of all the embedded links, videos, tweets, pictures etc. I have that problem in the Spoiler Only and Social Media threads

Another Berlanti Prod. pilot got sold:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/magic-procedural-blindspot-trio-chris-928701

I have hopes that one day this formula of quirky person with a quirky curriculum gets hired by traditional law enforcement to solve weekly crimes will get too ridiculous to be put on TV, but then I remember this is actually being developed:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fox-updating-king-arthur-as-924730

Yikes.

• Love 1