Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Carrie Ann said:

I've never watched SPN, but this Tumblr post about Jared & Jensen's families came across my dash last week and...they are all so cute.

Thanks for the link. It's really sweet how their families have merge into one big happy bunch. 

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I don't understand what it's telling me. Can someone help?

Here's how I interpreted David Rapaport's tweet - each row represents the casting stats for a role that they're casting. For example, for the first role, they viewed 2,684 submissions (resumes? videos?) and selected 58 actors to audition for that role.  Of those 58 actors, they've scheduled auditions for 47 of them, but have not (yet) scheduled auditions for 11 of them.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Warner Bros Firms ‘Ocean’s 8’ Lineup: Anne Hathaway, Rihanna, Awkwafina, Helena Bonham Carter, Mindy Kaling Join Sandra Bullock & Cate Blanchett
by Mike Fleming Jr  August 10, 2016 7:37am
http://deadline.com/2016/08/oceans-eight-rihanna-anne-hathaway-sandra-bullock-cate-blanchett-awkwafina-helena-bonham-carter-mindy-kaling-1201801342/

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros has firmed an October start date in New York for Ocean’s Eight, the female-driven caper spinoff directed by Gary Ross, and the studio is closing with its principal cast. Aside from the previously identified Sandra Bullock and Cate Blanchett, deals are close with Anne Hathaway, Rihanna, Helena Bonham Carter, Mindy Kaling and Awkwafina. The latter is the hip-hop moniker of Asian-American rapper and actress Nora Lum, who most recently had a role in Neighbors 2.

The picture is still casting — the firmed roster so far falls one shy of the title — and there is every possibility for cameos from the stars of the original trilogy, which grossed a collective $1.12 billion worldwide....

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

When I said I wanted more female led movies, I meant movies written for female leads not a female cast remake of a formally male-centric movie. Be original Hollywood!  

I wouldn't mind a female heist movie, but why does it have to be tied to the Ocean's movies? 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 8

New 'Star Trek' series lead: A woman but not a captain
by  Canadian Press - BC Local News Aug 11, 2016 at 5:23 AM
http://www.arrowlakesnews.com/national/389845831.html

Following up a Comic-Con panel in July about "Star Trek: Discovery," executive producer Bryan Fuller shared details about the 13-episode series' setting, characters and innovations at a Television Critics Association meeting Wednesday.

"We want to arc out the information so you'll get a little information today, you'll get a little more information in October, and we'll keep building the evolution of the 'reveal' as we go," said Fuller, who was a writer on the series "Star Trek: Voyager."

His disclosures included that the main character is female (human, yes; a captain, no); that the story will feature a gay character, and that there will more aliens. Given that previous "Star Trek" series were all from the captain's point of view, giving the woman different duties will allow for a new dynamic in both relationships and storytelling, Fuller said. He didn't specify her title.
Here are tidbits Fuller shared about the show that will debut its first episode on CBS before it moves to its permanent home, online video service CBS All Access:

The series will incorporate an event in "Star Trek" lore that's been talked about but not explored, one which will allow for a serialized story that takes its protagonist on a journey of self-discovery. The event? Fuller wouldn't say.

— There will "absolutely" be a gay character, he said. "I still have in my garage the hate mail that 'Star Trek: Voyager' got because of a rumour that Jeri Ryan's character (named Seven of Nine) was going to be gay," he said. He resolved that if he ever did another "Star Trek" series it would introduce someone who is gay.

— There will be robots.

— The aliens will be new and improved, and probably in greater numbers than typical for "Star Trek." ''You usually have one person with a bumpy forehead and seven other people who look relatively normal," Fuller said. The series will feature both newbies and the reimagining of familiar aliens — although Fuller acknowledged some Trekkies resist change.

The series takes place in an era that bridges the original 1960s "Star Trek" and "Star Trek: Enterprise," the 2001-05 series set about a century before. But "Discovery" will be much closer in time to Capt. James T. Kirk's world, so it will be able to play with the design "iconography" of those spaceships and uniforms, Fuller said.

— Some potential elements include the introduction of young versions of familiar characters like Dr. McCoy, but not in season one, and perhaps the inclusion of Amanda Grayson, Spock's mother (played by Winona Ryder on the big-screen).

Edited by tv echo

I'm not a fan of Star Trek, I liked the movies. But I do trust Bryan Fuller to write female characters. I loved some of his others, George, Roxy and Daisy from Dead Like Me, Jaye from Wonderfalls and he even made me like the peppy optimistic characters that I normally don't like on Pushing Daisies. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

Wait, he posted a picture of the woman he was bad-mouthing on his FB? To his millions of fans? Holy shit that's scary as fuck.

Yeah he did. I feel so sorry for her. I don't care how rude she was. That's just not right and it IS scary as hell

• Love 2

Yeah, that's not cool. There are so many ways and avenues to complain about bad service without setting this woman up to be harassed. And there's no way he didn't know that's exactly what his more rabid fans would do. 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 4

OMG what a douchebag. That poor woman. Why didn't he just file a complaint with the manager like a normal person instead of acting like an a-hole.

The other scary thing is people are defending his behavior. NOPE. BYE!

Edited by Angel12d

Cripes. The thing is, I wouldn't find anything necessarily wrong if he chose to just bitch over whatever the waitress did or didn't do if he just hadn't posted her photo. I mean, I'd likely find it a lame attempt to get mollycoddled by his fans, but whatever, it would look harmless. But posting the woman's photo is just way off base.

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

Yeah, that's not cool. There are so many ways and avenues to complain about bad service without setting this woman up to be harassed. And there's no way he didn't know that's exactly what his more rabid fans would do. 

After 11 years of building up a fanbase I'm 100% sure he knew what he was doing. Gross.

Indeed,  it's disappointing.   In other news,  I just got back from the Otakon convention in Baltimore and in addition to hundreds of cosplays there were several Arrow, Green Arrow, Arsenals and even one Laurel Black Canary.   I didn't see a White Canary or Felicity though. 

2 hours ago, Delphi said:

Indeed,  it's disappointing.   In other news,  I just got back from the Otakon convention in Baltimore and in addition to hundreds of cosplays there were several Arrow, Green Arrow, Arsenals and even one Laurel Black Canary.   I didn't see a White Canary or Felicity though. 

Yet another disappointment :p

Who went to the convention in Baltimore?

On 8/15/2016 at 10:17 PM, wonderwall said:

Yet another disappointment :p

Who went to the convention in Baltimore?

It's an anime con so mostly just voice actors and directors from various anime projects.   No one hugely famous.   I mostly go to play drunk superhero for the weekend and for art.

Having recently re-read AK's comments about how GB's first time crying over a comic book was when Barry died in Crisis made me think about whether or not I have ever cried over the death of a fictional character...

As it turns out, I remember crying over Fred's death in Angel. (It's been more than 10 years since Angel went off the air, so I don't think I need spoiler tags.) Why? It was a combination of storytelling, execution, character development and acting.  I had watched Wesley's character evolution over several seasons.  I had also watched Fred's character journey over several seasons. I had watched Wesley's initially unrequited love for Fred finally be rewarded when they got together. Then, in typical Joss Whedon fashion, she died as soon as they got together and all the potential of that relationship was just gone.  Also, the dialogue was heartbreaking, with Fred in pain and saying, "I don't want to go," and Wesley helplessly holding her and telling her that he "always loved her".  The acting by both Alex Denisof and Amy Acker in that scene was superb. It was hard to believe that Wesley started out as a comic relief character. By the time of Fred's death, I liked both of these characters and wanted them to be happy.  So it was devastating when their brief moment of happiness was destroyed.  (Cordelia's death didn't bother me at all because I never did warm up to her character and I never shipped her with Angel.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

I had no idea about Fred and Wesley. What happened with her and Gunn? I remember them being together when I was watching.

Off the bat, it's Jen on Dawson's Creek for me. That was brutal and raw.

I'm a big cry baby and I get emotional and cry at many things. But the gross sobbing and heartbreak happens for me at the end of Angel when Wesley is killed, and just the end of the whole show. Same with BSG.  

The end of LOST Jack and Vincent (ALLL my sobbing).

But the literal worst moment for me thus far is Supernatural s9

spoilers for SPN s9

Spoiler

end of s9. Dean being killed by Metatron. The fucking look on Dean's face is more than I can take. I did not think they would actually have Metatron stab Dean in the heart. He was DEAD. My boy was DEAD.  I have watched that episode many times and I STILL gasp at the moment and Dean's face still breaks my heart. And to make it worse, they turn him into a fucking actual demon. Motherfuckers!  I was just apoplectic and inconsolable when it happened. Seriously. I almost quit the show.  I STILL hate that it happened on principle. But that sonuvabitch Jensen Ackles made me love demon!Dean but I still hate it. So confusing.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

I cried when Cordelia Chase died. I cried when clone John Creighton on Farscape died.  Also, I can't point to one situation, but I regularly cried at Friday Night Lights, usually because of QB2. I'm not a big crier AT ALL, so the FNL thing was an anomaly. 

Edited by thegirlsleuth
  • Love 3

It really depends on how invested in a character, aND whether or not I think it's a real death.   Sirius Black comes to mind.  Had to buy another copy of the book.   Also when Lexa got shot on the 100.  Arrow when Moira got stabbed.  In general I think I react differently depending on how good the acting/dialogue is. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, tv echo said:

Having recently re-read AK's comments about how GB's first time crying over a comic book was when Barry died in Crisis made me think about whether or not I have ever cried over the death of a fictional character...

As it turns out, I remember crying over Fred's death in Angel. (It's been more than 10 years since Angel went off the air, so I don't think I need spoiler tags.) Why?  It was a combination of storytelling, execution, character development and acting.  I had watched Wesley's character evolution over several seasons.  I had also watched Fred's character journey over several seasons. I had watched Wesley's initially unrequited love for Fred finally be rewarded when they got together. Then, in typical Joss Whedon fashion, she died as soon as they got together and all the potential of that relationship was just gone.  Also, the dialogue was heartbreaking, with Fred in pain and saying, "I don't want to go," and Wesley helplessly holding her and telling her that he "always loved her".  The acting by both Alex Denisof and Amy Acker in that scene was superb. It was hard to believe that Wesley started out as a comic relief character. By the time of Fred's death, I liked both of these characters and wanted them to be happy.  So it was devastating when their brief moment of happiness was destroyed.  (Cordelia's death didn't bother me at all because I never did warm up to her character and I never shipped her with Angel.)

This sooo much.  I saw bits and pieces of Angel over the years and it wasn't until I saw Wesley's feelings for Fred did I start getting interested in the show. Watched the final season and just wept when Fred died.  Fell to pieces during Wesley's death and Ilyria learning to care.  Joss Whedon knows how to make me care.  Also still not over Wash's death on Serenity.  Oddly it wasn't his death that made me fall apart but Zoe's continued reaction until the end of the movie. 

My first book death was Matthew in Anne of Green Gables.  I was bawling and at the same time pissed at my aunt 'cause who gives a kid a book where something that sad happens? Lol. 

It really depends on how invested in a character, aND whether or not I think it's a real death.   Sirius Black comes to mind.  Had to buy another copy of the book.

I ended up recently reading the Harry Potter series for the first time (mostly cause you guys kept bringing it up).  Turns out I'm not a fan of Sirius.  Kind of thought he was a selfish tool that never really saw Harry for himself.  Felt bad for Harry but not really for Sirius. 

• Love 2

I don't cry that often, but two of the moments mentioned, Fred's death on Angel and Jen's death on Dawson's, totally got me.

The worst was Doctor Who though. I bawled like mad when Tenth Doctor died (and also in some other episodes, like Family of Blood duology or the end of Doomsday). No show ever made me as emotional. 

I also cried at the end of that episode of Angel when he was human and happy but had to rewind time. Nobody died, but I shipped Bangel like mad (still do) and Buffy saying she won't forget this just broke me. At least Joss had some sort of justification for that years down the line in the Buffy finale.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 5

Anyone watching The Get Down on Netflix? 

I have to say Jaden Smith is a horrible actor and it's painfully obvious he's only getting roles because of his father. He's not the main character which is good. 

On 8/17/2016 at 2:37 PM, tv echo said:

Fictional character death making me cry?  Last time that happened was Baymax in Big Hero 6.  3 times in that movie I cried, that freaking awesome movie.

• Love 3

Teenage Wildlife: Ten years in, The CW has grown up with its audience
Allison P. Davis  August 19, 2016
https://theringer.com/10-years-of-the-cw-gossip-girl-203cc9312737#.jxgb41bf0

Perfect Teen Blair was one of the reasons that Gossip Girl was such a Perfect Teen Drama, and a standout in The CW’s collection of pretty perfect teen dramas. The network is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year, and has recently transitioned into a new era of programming. The more “grown-up” version of The CW features a lineup full of oddball, critically acclaimed shows (Jane the Virgin, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend), sleeper hits (iZombie; please trust me and watch iZombie), and popular superhero franchises (The Flash, Arrow). But as it moves away from a lowbrow past, we should take a moment to fully appreciate the almost unwatchable glory of the frothy, melodramatic teen dramas it churned out.
The era of brilliantly ridiculous shows about 18-year-olds with perfect bodies, disposable incomes, and underdeveloped frontal lobes might be over, but now the network has evolved to keep up with the tastes of their devoted, now-grown-up audience.
Have you decided that vampires are soooo freshman year of college — and it’s all about zombies and superheroes now? Fortunately, a healthy chunk of The CW’s programming is dedicated to DC Comics properties (Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, and the recently acquired Supergirl). Even if you need your shows to come with critical praise and awards contention, The CW abides with shows like Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

DGA Study: Women and Ethnic Minorities Continue to be Overlooked for Critical First Breaks in Television Directing
August 17, 2016
http://www.dga.org/News/PressReleases/2016/160817-DGA-Study-Women-and-Ethnic-Minorities-Overlooked-for-First-Breaks-in-TV-Directing.aspx

Los Angeles – Building on its efforts to analyze and bring awareness to the critical role that a “first break” plays in increasing diversity, the Directors Guild of America (DGA) today issued the results of an annual study of the gender and ethnic diversity of directors who received their first assignments in episodic television. The report this year precedes the DGA’s annual TV director diversity report, covering the 2015-16 season, which will publish later this summer.

In the 2015-16 season, 153 directors who had never worked in episodic television were hired by employers (studios, networks and executive producers) – 15% were ethnic minorities, and 23% were women. A comparison of season-by-season data shows that hiring of minority first-time TV directors has remained flat over the past seven seasons. At the same time, there was a slight upward trend in the season-by-season hiring of women first-time directors – though it has fluctuated within the same range since 2012. For example, in the last three years alone, hiring of women first-time TV directors fell from 23% to 16%, then rose back up to 23%.
*  *  * (read more)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

If you think viewers wars are bad here.....

Argument over TV show sparks mass brawl in Bangladesh village

At least 100 people have been injured in a brawl between villagers in eastern Bangladesh sparked by arguments over the plot of an Indian TV serial.

Police said the dispute erupted at a restaurant in Habiganj district on Wednesday night where people had gathered to watch Kiranmala, a popular Bengali-language drama about a warrior princess who saves mankind from evil.

Officers fired rubber bullets and teargas to disperse the crowd after angry viewers vandalised the restaurant in Dhol village and attacked each other with sticks and knives.

“Two men got involved into an argument over the story of the episode, which later turned into a group skirmish,” the local police chief Yasinul Haque said. “During the fight the angry mob vandalised the restaurant and [they] continued the fight on Thursday morning.”

Haque said at least 100 people had been injured in the brawl, and 15 needed hospital treatment.  [snip]

The suicides of three young women have been linked to Kiranmala in the past year, according to local media. Their parents had reportedly refused to buy them an expensive dress like one worn by the show’s main character.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

‘The Lost Boys’ TV Series Based On Movie In Works At The CW With Rob Thomas
by Nellie Andreeva •  August 18, 2016 4:03pm
http://deadline.com/2016/08/the-lost-boys-tv-series-based-on-movie-the-cw-rob-thomas-1201805716/

The CW has landed The Lost Boys, a series adaptation of the iconic 1987 Warner Bros horror comedy movie, from Veronica Mars and iZombie creator Rob Thomas, Gulfstream TV and Warner Bros Television.
Envisioned for a seven-season, anthology-style run, the series will tell a story spanning 70 years, each season chronicling a decade. Season 1 will be set in San Francisco during the Summer of Love, 1967. Each season, the humans, the setting, the antagonist and the story all change — only the vampires, our Lost Boys, who like the Peter Pan characters never grow up, remain the same.

The project, which will explore what it really means to be immortal, is executive produced by Thomas via Spondoolie Productions, his frequent collaborators Danielle Stokdyk and Dan Etheridge as well as Gulfstream principals Mike Karz and Bill Bindley.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I see this Lost Boys news and all I can think is Rob Thomas why are you doing more things that are not Veronica Mars. The busier he gets, the less time he has to devote to giving me more VM canon. Sigh

• Love 4

I was home sick this weekend and decided to binge TV.  I didn't like anything new I tried and went back and watched Veronica Mars for the 48 billionth time.  They really had magic in a bottle with that one with the exception of Duncan.  Season one is perfect television in every way--casting, plotting, emotion.

I wouldn't mind if they cast Jason Dohring in the new Lost Boys. 

• Love 5

Duncan is the exception that proves the rule. The rule being VM is brilliant TV. 

Would love Jason Dohring in Lost Boys. 

If CW EPs can run mutiple shows, Rob Thomas can do Lost Boys and Veronica Mars. I enjoyed the VM movie, but VM works best when there is time to go deep. I'm hoping they can do something with Netflix. 

• Love 1