Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, quarks said:

Different Whedon, but probably, yes.

If it helps, you could join me and start shipping Jaime and Brienne over on Game of Thrones instead....

....never mind.

Speaking of....in the finale the whole scene with Jamie and Bronn were at the Feast.  When Brian mentioned that the 2 serving girls weren't blonde enough for Jamie...was he talking a Cersi or Brienne? Because Jamie didn't get angry or defensive which is his normal reaction when anyone mentions his relationship with Cersi.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Brought this over from spoilers discussion.

OMG does this mean my Fitzsimmons is doomed? Hubby and I are on season 2 right now and we are looking forward to happy times because we read some spoilers saying they got together!!! Omg is it all going to go to sh$t??????

This is a good ship for us because we both have heals of fun shipping it and I don't want it ruined *wails*

Not necessarily, Joss is only involved on this show in name only, with directing the first episode and probable input on the initial story breakdown/characters. Jed and Mo Whedon run the show, who are Whedon alums themselves, but they've kind of subverted some of the Joss tropes, at least where SkyeWard was concerned.

s2-a small part of 3a is kind of a mess for them Whedon-style, but going from the later part of 3a and possibly beyond, they haven't really showed signs of being doomed.

• Love 1
Just now, Morrigan2575 said:

Speaking of....in the finale the whole scene with Jamie and Bronn were at the Feast.  When Brian mentioned that the 2 serving girls weren't blonde enough for Jamie...was he talking a Cersi or Brienne? Because Jamie didn't get angry or defensive which is his normal reaction when anyone mentions his relationship with Cersi.

My head says Bronn meant Cersei. My little shipping heart, snatching what few breadcrumbs it can before it gets totally smushed in the last two seasons, says Brienne.  Bronn at least knows about Brienne, though, so maybe my little shipping heart isn't totally wrong here.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, quarks said:

My head says Bronn meant Cersei. My little shipping heart, snatching what few breadcrumbs it can before it gets totally smushed in the last two seasons, says Brienne.  Bronn at least knows about Brienne, though, so maybe my little shipping heart isn't totally wrong here.

I honestly couldn't tell, mostly because Jamie's reaction seemed sheepish, like a guy with a crush. I don't ship anyone on GoT so I don't particularly care but, it definitely caught my attention.  

I'm utterly amused by the latest GoT ships popping up. Sansa/Jon Snow is apparently the latest (not really) incest ship...but after Twincest and that Wildling dude sleeping with his wives/daughters and who knows about Frey...

Then there's Brienne/Tormund is another popular ship.

Since it's July 4th I want to share a text message that my sister sent me today.

I got the girls drinks at Sonic and the car hop had red white and blue stripes under each eye so I asked her if she was from the Netherlands and she said "No I'm American," like what else would she be. So I said, "Oh, that's the Netherlands flag on each of your cheeks," and she looked at me like I wasn't "merican" enough.

She loves doing things like this to see how people will react. I just thought it was funny. She lives in the South which makes it even better.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Not necessarily, Joss is only involved on this show in name only, with directing the first episode and probable input on the initial story breakdown/characters. Jed and Mo Whedon run the show, who are Whedon alums themselves, but they've kind of subverted some of the Joss tropes, at least where SkyeWard was concerned.

s2-a small part of 3a is kind of a mess for them Whedon-style, but going from the later part of 3a and possibly beyond, they haven't really showed signs of being doomed.

Hubby will probably cry a river of tears if one of them dies. We are watching early season 2 and he's all mopey about them everytime he sees Fitz onscreen. 

8 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Hubby will probably cry a river of tears if one of them dies. We are watching early season 2 and he's all mopey about them everytime he sees Fitz onscreen. 

Spoiler

Neither of them die as of yet

S2 is pretty rough for them, especially the finale, but s3 gets better for them, save a slight problem in the beginning.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm utterly amused by the latest GoT ships popping up. Sansa/Jon Snow is apparently the latest (not really) incest ship...but after Twincest and that Wildling dude sleeping with his wives/daughters and who knows about Frey...

Then there's Brienne/Tormund is another popular ship.

You know, on most shows I'd classify Sansa/Jon as the crackiest of crack ships, but this show...

Brienne/Tormund at least has some onscreen support.

1 hour ago, Chaser said:

Mostly I shipped characters and death. 

This is me. And season six justified my hopes that I'll be getting this! (Also soul crushing despair with Brienne and Jaime.)

(edited)
25 minutes ago, quarks said:

You know, on most shows I'd classify Sansa/Jon as the crackiest of crack ships, but this show...

I totally agree,  any other show that would be a total crack ship. On GoT it's a possible reality LOL

Brienne/Tormund at least has some onscreen support.

Yeah, I haven't watched those scenes but, I understand there's an in show basis for that ship.

This is me. And season six justified my hopes that I'll be getting this! (Also soul crushing despair with Brienne and Jaime.)

I think I only have one or two names left on the most must die list (at this point).  As of S6 finale I actually warmed up (slightly) to Dany but, I don't want her to win the throne. Sadly, I think she will, while Jon will end up King in the North. I'm actually thinking the 7 Kingdoms will get split between Dany/Jon.

Edited by Morrigan2575
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Unpopular opinion: I never got the Dany love. I thought she had her moments, but other characters were so much more interesting. 

Oh, I don't get it either.  Although most of the love seems to center around she's got Dragons! I'd bet good money, her appeal would be a lot power of she didn't have the dragons.  Well, that and she's not. 

However,  the scene with Dany/Yara and the one (in the finale) with Dany/Tyrion warmed me up a bit.

Edited by Morrigan2575

IMO, EC needs a strong screen partner to assist her. Opposite Tyrion or Yara and Dany gets better. 

I grew pretty tired of her because everything seemed the same old same old. I was so glad they finally brought her in with the other players. 

I agree about the Dragons. They were cool but I was more interested in the mind games and power plays. 

• Love 2

I stopped watching GoT last year. Sansa was and will always be my most favorite character. So after last season and what happened with her I couldn't stomach watching more. 

Dany was okay. Not very compelling? She was at the beginning with Khal Drogo, but then meh... 

I kind of lost interest in the show because EVERYONE I LOVED DIED?!? So yeah :p 

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Unpopular opinion: I never got the Dany love. I thought she had her moments, but other characters were so much more interesting. 

I find Dany sexy as Hell and a Badass Boss Bitch lol. That might be some of the appeal of Dany 

11 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I stopped watching GoT last year. Sansa was and will always be my most favorite character. So after last season and what happened with her I couldn't stomach watching more. 

Dany was okay. Not very compelling? She was at the beginning with Khal Drogo, but then meh... 

I kind of lost interest in the show because EVERYONE I LOVED DIED?!? So yeah :p 

I'm only in the 3rd season near the end of the season and I'm liking Sansa. I didn't like her early 1st season but by the end I starting liking her 

2 minutes ago, Thundercatmary said:

It's exciting that's for sure! :)

I remember watching the Curiosity landing on Mars onlinewith a bunch of baseball fans after watching our team lose ..again. That one still blows my mind.  But this is something else. Show much is unknown.

(edited)
11 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I remember watching the Curiosity landing on Mars onlinewith a bunch of baseball fans after watching our team lose ..again. That one still blows my mind.  But this is something else. Show much is unknown.

This is veering to another topic but last night I watched the coolest vid on youtube about Dinosaurs and how their end came about. I actually felt bad about the dinosaurs lol. 

Anyways, I think exploration both in space and sea is so important. There's no telling whats out there undiscovered, we can find answers to questions we didn't even know to ask. Very exciting. :)

ETA: Think this is it, highly recommended. 

Edited by Thundercatmary
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, quarks said:

Different Whedon, but probably, yes.

If it helps, you could join me and start shipping Jaime and Brienne over on Game of Thrones instead....

....never mind.

Why do we do this to ourselves, I wonder...

I've yet to see this season of GoT beyond the first episode. I have to admit, I have been shipping Dany & Jon Snow together since they did that photoshoot for EW a few years back. There was something in their energy together that I vibed on. I have not idea if that is even possible considering the rumblings I have heard on Jon Snow's parentage. But this is show that told me Cersai & Jaime were true love - so anything is possible. I can root for Dany & Jon Snow together forever, especially since they killed Bridgite :(

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, kismet said:

I've yet to see this season of GoT beyond the first episode. I have to admit, I have been shipping Dany & Jon Snow together since they did that photoshoot for EW a few years back. There was something in their energy together that I vibed on. I have not idea if that is even possible considering the rumblings I have heard on Jon Snow's parentage. But this is show that told me Cersai & Jaime were true love - so anything is possible. I can root for Dany & Jon Snow together forever, especially since they killed Bridgite :(

Dany and Jon Snow would be Hot together. It helps they are both pretty lol

• Love 1
7 hours ago, catrox14 said:

Guys, NASA has reached Jupiter. JUNO Is in orbit around Jupiter. I've got goosebumps. This is fucking incredible.

7 hours ago, catrox14 said:

This is extremely exciting.  I remember when the Rovers landed on Mars, when Voyager 1 did it's fly by. Hell, Voyager 1 has left our Solar System.  My inner trekkie is still geeking out over that one.

• Love 1

I wasn't sure where to talk about going to cons, so I'll put this here until I'm corrected. Has anyone here volunteered for HVFF or known someone? The majority of the shifts for HVFF San Jose are 7 am - 6 pm, and that seems insane to me. When I volunteered for Wizard World, we had 4 or 5 hour shifts and then could do whatever we wanted. There are a few jobs that are listed as 7 am - 1 pm, but I'm curious if they really expect people to work for 11 hours. If so, screw that, I want to go to the con to have fun, and that seems like the opposite to me. 

29 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

I wasn't sure where to talk about going to cons, so I'll put this here until I'm corrected. Has anyone here volunteered for HVFF or known someone? The majority of the shifts for HVFF San Jose are 7 am - 6 pm, and that seems insane to me. When I volunteered for Wizard World, we had 4 or 5 hour shifts and then could do whatever we wanted. There are a few jobs that are listed as 7 am - 1 pm, but I'm curious if they really expect people to work for 11 hours. If so, screw that, I want to go to the con to have fun, and that seems like the opposite to me. 

Wow that does seem crazy long. I remember others here mentioning volunteering at cons but not sure if it was in this thread or not.

So shit just got a little real on UnReal! Loved seeing Carl Lumbly back on my TV. Really hope that was more than a one time thing. Also for those Forever fans, Ioan Gruffudd is now on the show and that role looks like its both recurring and interesting.

So sad about

Spoiler

Ruby :( But I have a feeling they will bring her back in the end. Or the show will end and then Darius will pursue her off air.

Also who knew Chet had it in him? Previews look good for next week. Glad the show is heating up again. I was getting a little concerned that the first few episodes were a little off for me. However, they have really honed in the good drama this season.

• Love 1

All the shippers out there what do you think about the real life Taylor Swift & Tom Hiddleston drama? What a strange coupling but I am loving it! I don't know if it's real or some crazy publicity stunt but it is better than Days of Our Lives. The whole gossip, social media, fandom reaction is like some bizarre social experiment. I just know it is a much needed break from the real news. 

31 minutes ago, Sasha said:

All the shippers out there what do you think about the real life Taylor Swift & Tom Hiddleston drama? What a strange coupling but I am loving it! I don't know if it's real or some crazy publicity stunt but it is better than Days of Our Lives. The whole gossip, social media, fandom reaction is like some bizarre social experiment. I just know it is a much needed break from the real news. 

I find it incredibly odd, TBH (the pairing, not the reaction).  He seems much older--both literally and emotionally.  They also seem like 100% polar opposites but whatever makes them happy, I guess.

5 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I think it's performance art, ala Shia LaBeouf or James Franco *rme*

I wouldn't be surprised with that either given the cheesy "I *heart* T.S." tank top photos, but regardless, even if it is serious, I find people's reactions to it rather hilarious.

• Love 1

My 70 year old mother was talking about it. She loved the Night Manager and was all, "Taylor you go girl and get some of that". Of course she also wants to see Jennifer Lawrence hook up with Prince Harry. She quit watching her soap and replaced it with celebrity gossip. 

• Love 2

Interesting, I would have put Arrow in the tragic hero column. But what he said about villains, in the wake of a recent debate about who should be considered a villain on the show..Well... ?

(edited)
34 minutes ago, looptab said:

Interesting, I would have put Arrow in the tragic hero column. But what he said about villains, in the wake of a recent debate about who should be considered a villain on the show..Well... ?

I think Arrow started as antihero [womanizing playboy doucheface banging his girlfriend's sister trying to do the right thing after 5 years in hell], but as the show advanced, it got turned into tragic hero.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

I think Arrow started as antihero [womanizing playboy doucheface banging his girlfriend's sister trying to do the right thing after 5 years in hell], but as the show advanced, it got turned into tragic hero.

True. Plus even he said that those roles could shift and weren't quite fixed. I also had to LOL at the fact that anti-heroes historically have lower ratings than heroes. :)

(edited)
3 minutes ago, looptab said:

True. Plus even he said that those roles could shift and weren't quite fixed. I also had to LOL at the fact that anti-heroes historically have lower ratings than heroes. :)

But that has always been true. Cops and doctors and lawyers have been the leads of what, 90% of all tv? And most of the time they are the heroes too. "Good" people trying to do good.

Edited by dtissagirl
6 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

But that has always been true. Cops and doctors and lawyers have been the leads of what, 90% of all tv? And most of the time they are the heroes too. "Good" people trying to do good.

Oh, for sure. I wasn't laughing at the notion,  which I find true, but at the particular situation of the comparison between Flash and Arrow, ratings-wise. Sorry, maybe my post wasn't clear on that. :)

I think if Arrow was bonafide hero doing heroic things, Flash would still have higher ratings because Flash has 30405950332020939495040302030 times more relevance and visibility in pop culture.

• Love 1

I feel like both writers rooms, Arrow and Flash alike, lack the kind of full grasp of structure, and control over characterization that other shows have. I'm not sure Oliver going from antihero to tragic hero happened on purpose, or it just derailed into that when they phased out robot killer vigilante from S1 into no-kill rule S2. The same way, on Flash, I'm not sure if it's lack of awareness that have them write the hero protagonist intentionally doing shit that can destroy the universe in two consecutive finales... which, yeah, makes him a villain.

Imo, the greatest moment in the 2015-2016 TV season was Rebecca from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend becoming self-aware that she was the villain of her own story*. The level of control over characterization the writers need to have for this kind of metalinguistic twist to *work*? That's true craft. In no way any shitty thing Rebecca did prior to this moment was ~accidental, or misinterpreted by the viewer. They knew what they were doing, and they were gonna invert the trope at a pivotal moment in the season. And this moment of realizing she's a villain is what turned Rebecca into a hero again.

*And then she sang a Disney villain song, because this show is the greatest thing ever:

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

I feel like both writers rooms, Arrow and Flash alike, lack the kind of full grasp of structure, and control over characterization that other shows have. I'm not sure Oliver going from antihero to tragic hero happened on purpose, or it just derailed into that when they phased out robot killer vigilante from S1 into no-kill rule S2. The same way, on Flash, I'm not sure if it's lack of awareness that have them write the hero protagonist intentionally doing shit that can destroy the universe in two consecutive finales... which, yeah, makes him a villain.

Imo, the greatest moment in the 2015-2016 TV season was Rebecca from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend becoming self-aware that she was the villain of her own story*. The level of control over characterization the writers need to have for this kind of metalinguistic twist to *work*? That's true craft. In no way any shitty thing Rebecca did prior to this moment was ~accidental, or misinterpreted by the viewer. They knew what they were doing, and they were gonna invert the trope at a pivotal moment in the season. And this moment of realizing she's a villain is what turned Rebecca into a hero again.

*And then she sang a Disney villain song, because this show is the greatest thing ever:

That was a truly great moment. The whole show is. It's a shame that so very few people are watching it.

Since we are talking writing, and you seem to be pretty knowleadgeable in this field - a little aside: I'm about to start writing my dissertation on humor studies, focusing on the translation process. Do you - or any  of the posters; I know there are a few interpreters and translators among us - happen to have any good read on writing humor - for any media, really - whether academic or not, to recommend? Or, anyway, if you happen to stumble onto something, please remember  me :)

Edited by looptab
7 minutes ago, bijoux said:

@looptab, I'm one of the translators on the board, but nothing really comes to mind presently. It sounds like a great topic and I'll definitely let you know if I think of something.

Thank you :) I'd appreciate it a lot. :)

(edited)

I don't really see Oliver as tragic hero, at least the classical definition of that. The biggest part is because he's basically assured a happy ending. The second biggest part is that he's never REALLY called out on his shit. The point of a tragic hero is his flaws and mistakes bringing him down. The best examples on my mind at this point are in gaming, so I can't really provide a great example (well, other than Wesley Wyndam-Price from Angel, who's like my favorite TV character, ever), but I just don't see Oliver a that good of an example. I mean, he could have gone this way, if the writing was daring (and good) enough, but we all know it's not.I also can't agree with him about Jon Snow being a tragic hero, because well, he's not. It is possible in the future, though. Who knows. I'd love it if it were true. 

@LOOPTAB, I'm one of the translators on the board, but nothing really comes to mind presently. It sounds like a great topic and I'll definitely let you know if I think of something.

Yep, the same. Of course, I'm very lazy (and usually depressed) and not motivated enough to read actual studies, even about stuff that is genuinely interesting to me.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

Apparently, the newest episode of 12 Monkeys already aired in Australia (won't air in the US until next Monday, July 11th).  Did anyone happen to catch it?  I've seen a few enthusiastic comments about it, and I want to know if something happened between Cassie and Cole.

• Love 1