Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Regarding the Stargate movie, I probably will pass.  I came to Stargate through the TV series, not the movie, and only ended up watching the movie later to get the background.  I have to admit I wasn't all that impressed.  But by then I was already conditioned to prefer the TV show I suppose. :)

In any case, yeah, not really interested. The Stargate universe in my head is the universe of the TV shows, and I'm ok with it staying that way. 

• Love 1

Since everything ever is being either rebooted or remade [there's a list being kept at IMDb listing 140 movies in the next 5 years. That's not counting TV], I'm legit letting go of being a completist. The industry banks on the idea that if you love an IP/brand/multi-platform property, you're gonna want to see every possible version of it, because ~~~THAT'S WHAT MAKES YOU A REAL FAN~~~. I'm gonna go with NOPE there.

• Love 7
(edited)

I agree with the quality aspect of reboots and the like.   I loved the first two Terminator films but then Rise of the Machines happened.  Then the TV show came along and fixed everything.   But then Salvation and Genesis  (or whatever spelling) happened.   I don't think it's that these properties shouldn't be touched,  Hollywood just needs to keep better track of who they let play with their toys. 

In other old news,  my house hunt is finally over and I moved into a pretty great place as of last night.   Not luxurious by any means but huge and comfortable.   So that's a plus. 

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 12
(edited)
14 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

OK man, I don't know about this. I love the Original movie but, I also love SG1.  Hmm.

It's weird, I remember when FOX was talking about a Buffy (movie) reboot and I was totally against it because it wouldn't have anything from the TV Show.  Now, I'm not totally opposed to a straight up roboot of the original movie. 

I guess it comes down to the quality of the movie vs TV Show (for me anyway).  Buffy movie sucked ass (except for PeeWee Herman) but, the show was great. Stargate movie was great and the show was great  (mostly, S1 and S9-10 sucked but, I loved the rest) so it's like having 2 separate loves meother diminishes the other.  Of course a totally horrible reboot could kill it.

I'm going to put this one down along the lines of the Star Trek reboot, which means I'll probably give it a shot.

Now I actually loved season 9 and 10 as well.  It had a lot of new characters that I quickly came to love and a different focus putting Jackson front and center (as I always liked best)  and while the Ori weren't the most fun, all the actors seemed more alive in their roles than they had been in years.  It was nearly a reboot of the show and I was totally on board.

So it's not that I'm opposed to change it's just what they are proposing isn't a change or even a reboot, but a total redirection.  To their minds nothing that came after the movie counts and that makes me not trust them at all to give me something I would enjoy.  I mean, it would be like Superman going back to his first comic issue before Martha and Jonathan Kent  or Lex or Jimmy or even the Daily Planet had ever been invented.  There was so much of the mythology built on the TV show that to go backwards and start from scratch seems a huge insult to the fans. 

Edited by BkWurm1
(edited)

I never really liked either the movie or the TV shows, so I don't mind the reboot, maybe they'll fix aliens speaking English or at least handwave it a la Farscape... and also make the story overall more fun, because the premise isn't that bad.

*Sorry, I'm a translator and aliens knowing English bothered the hell out of me, I couldn't ignore it. Also, with the technology allowing people from Earth to control other people's bodies on spaceships, the actors of the people in control took over, and it shattered my suspension of disbelief.

Edited by FurryFury
(edited)

The aliens in the Stargate movie did not speak English. The Egyptian slaves that were brought to the other planet did not speak English.  In fact Stargate had everyone speaking a dead version of Egyptian.  Jackson says as much in the movie,  he had to learn the dialect because it hadn't been a spoken language on Earth in thousands of years.

Now the TV Series was different, everyone spoke English and while it's not realistic it's simpler to handle in a 40 minute format that revolves around people going to different planets every week.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Argh, this new update is impossible to work with sometimes.  Anyway.

Also, with the technology allowing people from Earth to control other people's bodies on spaceships, the actors of the people in control took over, and it shattered my suspension of disbelief.

That was mostly just the last series, Stargate Universe, which I didn't watch (mostly for that reason).

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

The aliens in the Stargate movie did not speak English. The Egyptian slaves that were brought to the other planet did not speak English.  In fact Stargate had everyone speaking a dead version of Egyptian.  Jackson says as much in the movie,  he had to learn the dialect because it hadn't been a spoken language on Earth in thousands of years.

It's my favorite aspect of the movie. I loved the whole figuring out the language.

(edited)

Thought I'd post this here in case you hadn't had the chance to watch it yet. If you have the time and if you so wish, please take a couple minutes to watch this video and sign the petition. =)

Through his music, acclaimed Italian composer and pianist Ludovico Einaudi has added his voice to those of eight million people from across the world demanding protection for the Arctic. 
Einaudi performed one of his own compositions on a floating platform in the middle of the Ocean, against the backdrop of the Wahlenbergbreen glacier (in Svalbard, Norway). 
Travelling on board Greenpeace ship Arctic Sunrise on the eve of a significant event for the future of the Arctic: this week's meeting of the OSPAR Commission, which could secure the first protected area in Arctic international waters.

Sign the petition to save the Arctic on: www.savethearctic.org
http://www.greenpeace.org/

Edited by looptab
  • Love 1

Hey Guys!

I'm not sure how in tune you are with British Politics, but tomorrow is the most important vote that we'll have in a very long time, the referendum on whether we should stay in the European Union. The campaigning has been going on for a while, and whilst there was a lot of awful language going on on both sides of the campaign, everything seemed okay until it came to head a few days ago when one of our MPs, Jo Cox was murdered. This article was written in response to that, and whilst it's very much focused on the event in question, I think that it pull up very valid points about the language used in politics, and I think it's very relevant across the globe, particularly in America where you guys are gearing up for an election.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/a-day-of-infamy/

The gist of it is that when a politician (or anyone really) uses extremist language, they cannot be surprised when their followers react using extremist actions. Politics should be about instilling hope in people, and not fear, and that should reflect in peoples language and actions. Sadiq Khan, the new mayor of London, called for a 'kinder' politics when he won his campaign, and I very much agree with him. When campaigns are built on fear and mistrust, that trickles down into the lives of regular citizens and breeds an awful atmosphere, where we're scared and unwilling to voice our opinions and feelings and we can't trust those around us.

• Love 5

I've been hearing all about the referendum because my dad is British and he's gonna vote tomorrow too. It sounds so confusing to me though. 

(edited)

Thanks to Karl Rove, installing Fear in the public is the go to move to get people elected (at least on one side of the Aisle)

Trump is following the same method, fear, hate of "other" but, while that worked to win the Republican nomination it (so far/hopefully)  doesn't seem to be working in the General. 

I was aware of the referendum but, haven't been following the different arguments closely.

We don't do referendum's here just elect officials who vote for everything for us. Not sure which is better. 

ETA: I take that back, I have voted for yes/no questions on specific answers during general elections but those were on a state not federal level

Edited by Morrigan2575
(edited)

Now the TV Series was different, everyone spoke English and while it's not realistic it's simpler to handle in a 40 minute format that revolves around people going to different planets every week.

I mean the TV show, sorry, should have specified that. I don't care about simplicity, handwaving it would take like 2 minutes, see: Farscape.

That was mostly just the last series, Stargate Universe, which I didn't watch (mostly for that reason).

Yeah dropped it as well. Such a horrible idea. Way to showcase you don't believe in your actors.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

Are you guys watching BrainDead? It's possible I found a new favorite show to love deeply. The pilot was interesting enough for me [cynical politics + body snatching aliens, COME ON!], but then they started 102 by SINGING THE PREVIOUSLIES, and I feel like I've been blessed by the TV gods with *my* kind of weird hipster shit:

Major spoilers for the entire plot of the pilot, but: worth it.

• Love 2

I honestly don't know. I'm not in the US, and technically I couldn't care less about real US politics except where it concerns my country, but I really really like tv shows about fake US politics? I like *politics* as a narrative backdrop, period. mean, I watch Madam Secretary unironically. And Veep is probably my favorite comedy of the last decade.

• Love 1

I guess it's YMMV. I never had any inclination to watch Madam Secretary or West Wing before that. I suppose Homeland is the most political show I watch. I did think about trying Veep, however.

Anyone here watching/watched Penny Dreadful? My best friend is bingeing right now and is bugging me to watch so she can have someone to talk to. But I thought I saw a lot of people online disappointed in the finale? And that it's a series finale? Worth checking out or nah?

(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 2:27 PM, FurryFury said:

I never really liked either the movie or the TV shows, so I don't mind the reboot, maybe they'll fix aliens speaking English or at least handwave it a la Farscape... and also make the story overall more fun, because the premise isn't that bad.

*Sorry, I'm a translator and aliens knowing English bothered the hell out of me, I couldn't ignore it. Also, with the technology allowing people from Earth to control other people's bodies on spaceships, the actors of the people in control took over, and it shattered my suspension of disbelief.

I was ok with the idea of swapping consciousness with someone else for communication purposes but in Stargate Universe they horrifically abused the idea to the point of people regularly "borrowing" someone else's body and having sex with other people and no one seemed to think there was anything wrong with it.  It was so extremely icky I just couldn't believe anyone would be ok with any of it. 

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 2:49 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I do wish they'd explained the issue away.  How hard would it have been to say that they'd unlocked a new translator feature so that most verbal languages were instantly translated on use of the Stargate?

11 hours ago, FurryFury said:

If I understood correctly, it's about US politics? Would it work for a person who doesn't really care (but knows the basics) of US politics?

It's about space ants landing and taking over politics.  I'm serious.  It's like political satire slash sci-fi comedy horror.  The pilot was very amusing. You really don't need to know stuff, just that politicians are awful slash nuts, lol. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Anyone here watching/watched Penny Dreadful? My best friend is bingeing right now and is bugging me to watch so she can have someone to talk to. But I thought I saw a lot of people online disappointed in the finale? And that it's a series finale? Worth checking out or nah?

I thought it was a great series. I'm not thrilled with the end but it's a good watch regardless. Eva Green and Rory Kinnear were terrific.

• Love 2
(edited)
22 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Penny Dreadful is an interesting show, they had some interesting takes on the Victorian era monsters from the books, the Wolfman, Dracula, witches, Dr. Frankenstein and his monsters. Penny Dreadful had some phenomenal acting from Eva Green, I've never seen any actor throw themselves into a role like she did. It also convinced me that Josh Hartnett can act. The series finale was disappointing because it felt rushed and unfinished. It's like they were told they were cancelled while they were filming episode 7 and had to end it in the 2 episodes they had left.  

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

I loved Penny Dreadful until the last episode.  It has great acting, atmosphere, and melodrama.  Apparently the show runner knew season three was the last for at least a year, and TPTB thought it would be a kick to not announce the series finale until the last episode aired, though I don't know that I believe it with references to one character heading off to Imotep's tomb; I felt line they were totally setting up the Mummy for season four.  Great series if you like moody horror; sadly disappointing finale.

(edited)

Still haven't finished Penny Dreadful, I have 2 episodes left. Season 3 was generally a disappointment for me (s2 was a high point of the show), and the cancellation news caught me off-balance. I do think it's worth watching just for Eva Green and the visuals/atmosphere, but it's not really a masterpiece (although all the ingredients were there, the writing never really rose up to the challenge).

This year was a great disappointment to me. Lots of my favorite shows had lackluster seasons (Agent Carter, Penny Dreadful (+cancellation), The 100, 12 Monkeys), Bates Motel killed off my favorite character (still haven't seen the season finale, can't bring myself to do it), I got a few painful cancellations in Limitless and Galavant (and AC, too)... Crazy Ex is like the only unambiguously good new show I got into.

Edited by FurryFury
19 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Thanks to Karl Rove, installing Fear in the public is the go to move to get people elected (at least on one side of the Aisle)

Trump is following the same method, fear, hate of "other" but, while that worked to win the Republican nomination it (so far/hopefully)  doesn't seem to be working in the General. 

I was aware of the referendum but, haven't been following the different arguments closely.

We don't do referendum's here just elect officials who vote for everything for us. Not sure which is better. 

ETA: I take that back, I have voted for yes/no questions on specific answers during general elections but those were on a state not federal level

Referendums are only used for very very very important things over here, that's why there's only every been 3 that the whole country has taken part in. The EU is a very very very important thing because it will affect everyone's day to day life, from buying things abroad and going on holiday to the power of their vacuums. I think it's quite important that people get an individual say in it, but because of this we need the British public educated using facts. Unfortunately neither the remain or the leave campaign have been using actual facts, and instead have been exaggerating things and attempting to smear the other campaign. We're left with a very  close vote and people who do not know what they are voting for let alone why. 

• Love 1
(edited)

If any of you have Amazon Prime I highly recommend watching the latest batch of Amazon pilots, especially the F. Scott Fitzgerald based "Last Tycoon" with one hack oh a cast (Matt Bomer, Kelsey Grammer and so on) and a pilot from the winter about his wife Zelda called "Z" with Christina Ricci! which has been picked up and is currently shooting.

Both are really great well written and well acted.

Oh and Last Tycoon also has an Arrow alum, Jessica De Gouw who does a convincing enough Irish accent.

Edited by foreverevolving

Well, it looks like Brexit is happening. The stock market is in shambles, Japan has had to stop trading. We've essentially entered a period of extreme uncertainty, and that's across the globe and not just in the UK.

Th referendum is essentially the government asking the public what they want to do. Cameron can technically do what he wants to do, so technically we could stay in, but if he did that he would essentially be telling the British public that democracy means nothing. Quite frankly, I think the vote is far too close for us to essentially overhaul our entire way of life, but that is very much a personal opinion and has no effect on anything whatsover. 

On a slightly related note, I've been up all night and I've got an exam in a couple of hours and work afterwards. This isn't going to be a fun day. 

• Love 4

Saw Independence Day. Th trailer was better then the movie.

Spoiler

The movie was Independence Day: The Saved By The Bell Years. Pretty people playing action star. They tried to catch the original feeling. Didn't work. 

25 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Saw Independence Day. Th trailer was better then the movie.

Hide contents

The movie was Independence Day: The Saved By The Bell Years. Pretty people playing action star. They tried to catch the original feeling. Didn't work. 

I wondered when I read that they didn't screen the movie for critics.  That's usually never a good sign.  

If you want a good run down on the Brexit results, read Lindsay Lohan's Twitter.  Once you get over the dislocation that it is LINDSAY LOHAN, she makes important points about currency policy and the workplace safety regulations that have been put in place, and does a nice job of reporting how the different areas of the U.K. voted. No lie, it was incredibly informative.

Haven't been around here much lately, but just wanted to say how disappointed/scared/worried I was about the UK leaving the EU. As if the presidential race here in the US didn't give me enough agita. Ugh. We have friends who are moving back to the UK next week and they're not happy about this. 

Anyway, hope everyone is ok. 

• Love 1

It looks like there's going to be a referendum in Scotland (and potentially Northern Ireland) so I'm really upset. It feels like my country is breaking apart. At least we've got until October before anything happens (probably). Unfortunately our economy is already fucked. 

Please don't let the same thing happen in America guys. 

• Love 4

I guess I should expect yet another round on the horribleness and inevitable collapse of EU because it's too accommodating of queer and non-white people from our ever-lying media (well, if I did follow our media, that is - but it's hard to escape it completely). Sucks about the Brexit results, I kinda like the idea of EU, and from what I hear, it's not a good decision for the UK economics-wise.

This is the best summation of the current political atmosphere going on everywhere I've seen lately:

I live in a country which currently under a temporary interim old white dude president, because he and other old white dudes conspired to remove the first female president out of government. The old white dudes are all being investigated for corruption [the female president isn't], but they still managed to do it.

• Love 4

I'm checked out of politics. I'm disgusted at all parties. I'm in a horrible position where I agree/disagree depending on the issue not the party. The is no party I can bring myself to align with now. I can't stand the blanket demonization of either party. Trump is a horrible person and I'm terrified he is so close to the Oval Office. Same with Clinton. 

I have to look with a detached eye because otherwise I'd lose my mind.

• Love 1

Yeah.  I've been so disgusted with everything that's been happening as of late I can barely stand to think about it, let alone talk about it.  

I'm thinking I'm just gonna pack up my life and head to Australia.  The weather is nice and no one's getting shot at.

I don't know honestly..there's a strong possibility of recession for them at this point that should discourage other countries from following their example even if I don't exclude that nationalist parties will still use the anti immigrants-anti Europe movements to gain votes. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Delphi said:

Yeah.  I've been so disgusted with everything that's been happening as of late I can barely stand to think about it, let alone talk about it.  

I'm thinking I'm just gonna pack up my life and head to Australia.  The weather is nice and no one's getting shot at.

I'm thinking of checking out New Zealand. I heard its beautiful.

• Love 1