Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

I LOVED Revenge when it first came out! Then it got so stressful! Everyone was so mean on that show! I gave up!  

Oh, I loved Revenge with its concept of a female Monte Cristo and two female adversaries squaring off and matching their wits, but I gave it up after season 2, I think. It wasn't so much that they were all mean, not that it isn't true, it's just that I started to get bored with, frankly, repetetive twists. I was there for Declan and fake Amanda dying, and Margeaux showing up. I didn't stick around for David coming back though and I'm glad I didn't because when I heard about it I was pissed, since I guess he had almost as much a hand at screwing up his daughter as the Graysons.

• Love 2
  • Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Oooh speaking of sitcoms did anyone watch How I Met Your Mother?

Screw that final season.  The Mother was perfect, she exceeded our expectations, and the first meeting between Ted and her was absolutely perfect in every way.  That said, they flushed all that down the toilet right away, screw that ending.

Happy Star Wars Day everybody!

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Jediknight said:

Screw that final season.  The Mother was perfect, she exceeded our expectations, and the first meeting between Ted and her was absolutely perfect in every way.  That said, they flushed all that down the toilet right away, screw that ending.

Happy Star Wars Day everybody!

OMG it's been a few years but Hubby and I still b*tch about that ending when it comes up in conversation. Thing was we watched that show and didn't ship anyone.  Just wanted to find out who The Mother was. They made her AMAZING, made us fall in love with her and then BAM that ending! WTF!

(edited)
4 hours ago, bijoux said:

Oh, I loved Revenge with its concept of a female Monte Cristo and two female adversaries squaring off and matching their wits, but I gave it up after season 2, I think. It wasn't so much that they were all mean, not that it isn't true, it's just that I started to get bored with, frankly, repetetive twists. I was there for Declan and fake Amanda dying, and Margeaux showing up. I didn't stick around for David coming back though and I'm glad I didn't because when I heard about it I was pissed, since I guess he had almost as much a hand at screwing up his daughter as the Graysons.

I hated Fauxmanda at first and then came to like her. Declan was dumb and the other daughter just got annoying. Margeux was fine until the writers needed a bad guy and then all of the sudden she was avenging her father and her failed relationship with Jack. It was just too much. And they screwed up Daniel's death. Like I said, I was with the show until the end, but it definitely needed to end because it was running out of plots and wrecking a lot of the crazy good that the show was. Her father was such a misconceived idea, I think they brought him back just so

Spoiler

they could kill him and not Emily. Because the original plan I think was for Emily to die according to the ancient proverb about revenge that was in the pilot. When you plan revenge dig one grave for your victim & the other for you. Basically I think the showrunners chickened out and brought in a substitute in the last minute to fulfill the proverb.

On another note ~ HAPPY STAR WARS DAY Everyone!!

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, kismet said:

I hated Fauxmanda at first and then came to like her. Declan was dumb and the other daughter just got annoying. Margeux was fine until the writers needed a bad guy and then all of the sudden she was avenging her father and her failed relationship with Jack. It was just too much. And they screwed up Daniel's death. Like I said, I was with the show until the end, but it definitely needed to end because it was running out of plots and wrecking a lot of the crazy good that the show was. Her father was such a misconceived idea, I think they brought him back just so

Hide contents

they could kill him and not Emily. Because the original plan I think was for Emily to die according to the ancient proverb about revenge that was in the pilot. When you plan revenge dig one grave for your victim & the other for you. Basically I think the showrunners chickened out and brought in a substitute in the last minute to fulfill the proverb.

On another note ~ HAPPY STAR WARS DAY!!

I didn't even know Daniel died. I mean, he was the ultimate pawn, so I can't say I'm all that sorry. What happened to his sister, did she die as well or just leave after Declan's death? Charlotte, right?

Your theory on bringing David back works. Him being alive all those years (unless there was an amnesia subplot there that I'm unaware of) still makes him a turd for leaving his kid in the circumstances he did.

• Love 1
(edited)
14 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I didn't even know Daniel died. I mean, he was the ultimate pawn, so I can't say I'm all that sorry. What happened to his sister, did she die as well or just leave after Declan's death? Charlotte, right?

Your theory on bringing David back works. Him being alive all those years (unless there was an amnesia subplot there that I'm unaware of) still makes him a turd for leaving his kid in the circumstances he did.

Spoiler

There was a whole subplot of David being used by an organization, I feel like they implied mind control or threatened his daughter's life. I think he also thought Fauxmanda's life as an exotic dancer indicated that he had failed and should not do anymore damage. I think he was also held captive in a cell for a bit. And he did think she had money from Nolan, so he really thought she was either ok or better off without him. It's very foggy in memory, but they threw enough stuff at the wall, that I didn't hate him for abandoning his daughter.

Sorry about spoiling Daniel. :( He died doing a very heroic thing saving Emily from her would be assassin who was trying to avenge her father's death at Emily's hands after I think the assassin's father was part of the reason David was so bad off for some many years. But for reasons, poor in-show, definitely inexcusable outside of show, they had to paint his death as more of an attack on Emily, so he looked like someone who battered women when that was so far from the truth. It also then got Margeux to seek revenge against Emily.

Charlotte wound up losing the baby, living in France for awhile. She developed a drug problem, almost died & almost committed suicide (I think). And would up leaving the show because there was really nothing worthwhile to do with the character since they had burnt her character down.

It's all getting hidden in case people don't want it spoiled :) But the show definitely went overboard with the majority of the plot for the last season. It was like a soap opera on steroids. Literally imagine just about every soap opera device and squeeze it into one season.

I will say they did have a beautiful ending between the end couple and left just enough open that people can imagine how they want the show to end. Everything was tied up, but there was still room for interpretation if that makes sense.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, jb0495 said:

Can any of you that do YouTube videos help me? I am planning a surprise 60th party for my mom this summer & we are planning on doing a slideshow video. Set to music, photos and maybe a few video clips intercut into the slideshow. I know I see YouTube videos all the time that are what I'm looking to do

Any specific programs/apps I can use to do all this in one? Maybe iMovie? I have a Mac & will be hooking it up to a projector & screen. 

You should have iPhoto on your Mac and you can create a slideshow right there. Collect the photos you want in a folder, import, then click on the plus sign that allows you to create an album, book, calendar, slideshow, etc. Then just follow the directions. It will allow you to add music and add some effects and text. Hope this helps!

6 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

You should have iPhoto on your Mac and you can create a slideshow right there. Collect the photos you want in a folder, import, then click on the plus sign that allows you to create an album, book, calendar, slideshow, etc. Then just follow the directions. It will allow you to add music and add some effects and text. Hope this helps!

Thanks! I will play around with it tonight, do you know if it allows you to add video clips throughout with the pictures/text? I know it can be done because you see it with YouTube videos & Olicity videos with still pictures and video clips, lol! 

So, I was bored and someone convinced me to install Plants vs Zombies on my phone and I, all of a sudden, lost 3 hours of my life... I think I should probably uninstall that game on my phone now because, holy crap, is it addicting. Heh.

I, also, installed the Injustice: Gods Among Us app and it's pretty cool. I look like an idiot as I repeatedly hit my screen with my thumbs but I'm having fun with it. At least, with this game, the "health" of my characters slowly (or quickly if I'm fighting stronger characters) deplete so I'm forced to actually put it down to let the characters "recover."

• Love 1

Well now that Revenge was mentioned ... it kickstarted my brain again. I really like stories with a mythology, mystery or theme to them. I like serial dramas with good characterization. I also like secret identities/undercover/spy, which I didn't realize until I started to list out the shows that I like. I really do not like procedurals (unless they are hybrid serial/procedural like Castle) and I don't have the attention span for most sitcoms. Which sounds bizarre, but if I'm gonna commit to a show, I need it to be longer than 20min - otherwise I feel like I'm just watching commercials. And sadly, I can't start a show mid-course, I generally need to start a series from the beginning, although I did stumble into Alias end of s1.

I'm putting you in the way back machine but have you ever watched Remington Steele?  (Consider it a period piece)  It's elegant, charming, sexy, maddening, fun and constantly references classic movies and has Pierce Brosnan's accent.  I saw it originally when I was really young and basically it completely influenced my taste  in movies, men, female empowerment and dream cars.  (I'm a sucker for late thirties convertibles)  Mysterious and charming jewel thief that assumes the identity of the head of a detective agency. Even thirty years later it's yummy.  (and slightly longer than four seasons)     

22 hours ago, SleepDeprived said:

So, I was bored and someone convinced me to install Plants vs Zombies on my phone and I, all of a sudden, lost 3 hours of my life... I think I should probably uninstall that game on my phone now because, holy crap, is it addicting. Heh.

I, also, installed the Injustice: Gods Among Us app and it's pretty cool. I look like an idiot as I repeatedly hit my screen with my thumbs but I'm having fun with it. At least, with this game, the "health" of my characters slowly (or quickly if I'm fighting stronger characters) deplete so I'm forced to actually put it down to let the characters "recover."

I love Plants vs Zombies! I was so proud to finish all the levels. I only needed a few tips from my son. Have you watched the video? It's so cute! If you need another addiction try Pocket Frogs!  

For those of you who were/are Alias fans (and I know there are quite a few of us), TV Line just put up a retrospective to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the finale.  It includes an oral history featuring the creators and actors, a look back at Sydney's wigs and costumes, TV Line's picks for the 10 best episodes, a "Where Are They Now?" feature, and a mixtape of music from the show.  It's a pretty cool walk down memory lane -- even though I'm still going to pretend Seasons 3 and 4 didn't happen.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, JenMD said:

How awesome!  Can't wait to go through it.  But how has it been a decade since the finale?!  Time sure does fly.

IKR? I saw 10th Anniversary and immediately assumed it was the 10th anniversary of the show premiering. LOL. It's hard to believe it's been almost 15 years since the premiere!  Anyway, I did not mean to get engrossed in this long oral history, but I can't stop reading it! It's reminding me how much I adored the cast.

• Love 3

Now I just feel so old.... how is time flying by? I seriously have to redo the math, but nope it's correct. The years have just been crazy quick.

SO excited to dig into the ALIAS. Thanks @KenyaJ for sharing.

(edited)

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/entertainment/events/kentucky-derby/celebrities/2016/05/05/watch-barnstable-brown-red-carpet-live/83977762/

If anyone is interested you can watch live the celebrities showing up for the big Kentucky Derby party. I am hoping they show SA. He doesn't get as much press here in Louisville compared to the country singers and basketball players that come to town for the race.

i think the ladies interviewing people on the red carpet have been drinking! We drink a lot during the Derby. 

Edited by Sasha
  • Love 1

Finally saw Stephen at the Derby party with his wife. She is in the background with the red dress. He was extremely nice. The reporter ladies are drunk and kept calling him Stephen Arnell. He didn't hear them but one wanted to rub his head for good luck. He let her! I couldn't screen grab him with the wife. The camera man is horrible and keeps moving all around like a spaz. 

image.jpeg

• Love 2

Just came from a rather dud of an event that usually is quite the celebration and quite the good time - so a little bummed.

Anyway, I saw the IMAX movie "Adrenaline Rush: The Science of Risk" for the second time and it was really good - I HIGHLY recommend it. Of course the first time I saw it was 7 years ago and my life was completely different and full of whole lot of different scenarios that didn't quite pan out as I expected, which only makes me feel very old.

But I will say the film still holds up. And any time you can be taken on a virtual sky dive and base jump for me is exciting. it takes me back to when I actually sky dived and bungee jumped when I was younger :)

• Love 2
(edited)

I've always got to laugh at the weather forecasts here in Kansas when they call for storms, so many times they say "A few storms may be severe."  It's freaking Kansas, we know that, you don't need to tell us it.  There's always the possibility of severe storms.

Edited by Jediknight
3 hours ago, Jediknight said:

I've always got to laugh at the weather forecasts here in Kansas when they call for storms, so many times they say "A few storms may be severe."  It's freaking Kansas, we know that, you don't need to tell us it.  There's always the possibility of severe storms.

I could never ever live in tornado alley. Tornadoes scare the bejesus out of me. We had a super outbreak when I was little and it stays with you. We have one local weather guy who acts like every storm is armageddon. Jay Cardosi, I shake my fist at you! There's being cautious and there's scaring the piss out of people. 

Why Fangirling Is Better In Your 30s

You stop policing youths.

Fangirling past 30 is like a fine wine, so you don’t want to waste those precious drops of your time fighting with infuriating Internet logic. When you were younger and had that fresh college knowledge, it was oh so tempting to stop the haters in their tracks. To intervene in arguments about who’s more racist or which character is more problematic. But as you get older, the urge to “WELL ACTUALLY” someone dies down.

It gets easier to quit your faves.

It took me many, many years of having my life ruined by Shonda Rhimes to realize that the world won’t end if I stop watching a television show. Just because it once gave me sky high feelings doesn’t mean I have to pull out all the stops to try and prolong the emotional roller coaster ride.

You couldn’t care less about the haters.

A funny and wonderful thing happens once you hit 30. You begin to realize that you’re going to piss off all sorts of people when you start living your life authentically. When they realize that you couldn’t care less whether they’ve found your secret Tumblr account or suspect you stayed up all night working on your podcast.

I find this to be pretty true to my experience. The longer I'm around, the more I support the practice of you do your thing, I'll do mine. When my thing isn't fun anymore, I'll stop doing it.

• Love 6

You stop policing youths.

Fangirling past 30 is like a fine wine, so you don’t want to waste those precious drops of your time fighting with infuriating Internet logic. When you were younger and had that fresh college knowledge, it was oh so tempting to stop the haters in their tracks. To intervene in arguments about who’s more racist or which character is more problematic. But as you get older, the urge to “WELL ACTUALLY” someone dies down.

I'm still working on that, lol. 

It's funny though, in my experience, it's not youth I have the "well actually" conversations with but a group that have nearly all turned out to be pretty well settled in middle age and beyond.   - Which only means opinions are that much more intractable but it's not college knowledge burning a hole in my brain, it's a personality quirk that has been with me all my life.  I make my loved ones lives easier by saving my joy of winning a debate for the internet. (Well, at least I'm pretty sure it would much worse for them if I didn't also use the internet, lol)  

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 2:09 PM, KenyaJ said:

IKR? I saw 10th Anniversary and immediately assumed it was the 10th anniversary of the show premiering. LOL. It's hard to believe it's been almost 15 years since the premiere!  Anyway, I did not mean to get engrossed in this long oral history, but I can't stop reading it! It's reminding me how much I adored the cast.

Thanks for posting this again.... it helped move my night shift along tonight. I will say though that I still feel really old and some of the youngins I work with just didn't get some of the references - like quality MIX tapes :)

I also was gonna say, I really think the Flarrowverse should try to recruit some of the ALIAS talent. I really would love to see some of them on my screen again. I keep on thinking that Vartan would make a good love interest, but I saw a recent pic and apparently he aged a little bit. Who knew it was 10yrs, I guess when you binge the shows, you forget the passage of time in real life. He still looks amazing!! But he is definitely too old for any of the Flarrowverse females (except Donna, whom I don't want to see him with). Ron Rifkin would make an excellent villain. I could see Carl Lumbly as perhaps a seasoned Argus agent that comes into help after Rubicon goes down. I know David Anders was already on Arrow, but they wasted his performance - I say bring him back - he is part of Hollywood North anyway. Jennifer Garner can just make a guest appearance on LoT to reunite with Victor Garber, I don't really care what role she plays.

Edited by kismet
mix tapes :)
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Guys in show cannon did Felicity get a scholarship to MIT or was she a fee paying student? I can't work it out from the Arrow wiki!

They've never told us.

• Love 4
(edited)

I think most people assume she had a scholarship because Donna was a cocktail waitress and couldn't afford Space Camp. But @Ceylon5 is right it has never been explicitly stated.

Edited by Genki
Finishing thoughts
  • Love 3

So a couple years back I ended up binging The Good Wife and have been watching it since.  It's always been a weird show to me since as of last year there was zero hope to payoff to the ship I was backing but it had a lot of interesting characters and hey, there's not a lot of options on Sunday night and I'd come this far so I watched it to the end.  Talk about no payoff.  If I didn't know better I'd assume tune in next week to see what happens.  I won't say anything spoilery but I kind of feel watching turned out to be pointless.  I think the only one that got resolution to their character arc was the one character I couldn't care less about.  Boo. 

2 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

So a couple years back I ended up binging The Good Wife and have been watching it since.  It's always been a weird show to me since as of last year there was zero hope to payoff to the ship I was backing but it had a lot of interesting characters and hey, there's not a lot of options on Sunday night and I'd come this far so I watched it to the end.  Talk about no payoff.  If I didn't know better I'd assume tune in next week to see what happens.  I won't say anything spoilery but I kind of feel watching turned out to be pointless.  I think the only one that got resolution to their character arc was the one character I couldn't care less about.  Boo. 

I dropped TGW in the middle of season 6. The show clearly struggled after the death of **** *******. I wasn't a fan of what they were doing to Alicia and wasn't a fan of the show mistreating the supporting characters. I always thought Cary/Diane deserved more. I read what happened in the finale and I must say, I'm glad I dropped it.

• Love 1

I love The Good Wife and have followed it faithfully from the start. Never thought it was any good for shipping though.  Diane and Kurt are cute but that's about it.  In it's heyday it was so quirky and funny. It's really lost it's early charm. 

As for the Good Wife, I had a recurring patient that would always watch it, so I would watch it with her. I always promised I would binge it to catch up, but was always to busy. She passed away a few months ago... it's really kinda sad in a way that she never got to see the finale. She loved Julianna Margulies.

• Love 1
On 5/7/2016 at 9:52 AM, Sasha said:

I could never ever live in tornado alley. Tornadoes scare the bejesus out of me. We had a super outbreak when I was little and it stays with you. We have one local weather guy who acts like every storm is armageddon. Jay Cardosi, I shake my fist at you! There's being cautious and there's scaring the piss out of people. 

I definitely understand that, and in this area you've got to have meteorologists who keep their cool, and don't freak out.  That said, I'm massively disappointed with our NBC and CBS affiliates.  A tornado touched down not far from where I live, and NBC and CBS just kept their regular programming going, while keeping the severe weather stuff confined to a scroll and map in the corner.  It's really surprising for the CBS affiliate to do that, because they've always been on top of everything.  We get big time severe weather, like we did today, generally Merril Teller (the top guy on our CBS affiliate, and really the top meteorologist in Kansas) is on there keeping everybody updated, but for some reason not on Sunday.  ABC was the station that interrupted programming to cover the weather, it could just be my cable company, which would be ridiculous considering it was this county and about 15 minutes away where the tornado touched down.

On a brighter note, Civil War was freaking awesome.  Why Warner Brothers, why can't you stay true to the characters like Marvel does?

The Good wife started when I was living overseas and I always meant to binge it, but with the the BTS drama and the series ending seemingly being unsatisfying, I'm glad I didn't.

I finished the documentary "A Lego Brickumentary (2014)", which provided a really fascinating look into the world of LEGOS, that really blew my mind about all there was to know about Legos. I recommend it if you like Legos or just want an interesting documentary. It was not earth shattering, but I found it very enjoyable

Anyway, in the bonus features they featured a First Lego League Jr team called the "Xtremes" and the team leader as was girl about 8 or so who could have been a dead ringer for Felicity Smoak. She had the glasses, the spunk and the ponytail - and it wasn't even forced. Arrow casting should find this girl and cast her for flashbacks. I felt like LL for a minute, when I said out loud of look its a mini-Felicity. It was like I was seeing FS footage from her childhood - because she totally would have done something like that. But I loved how it was cool to see young kids (esp girls) being encouraged to use math & science in cool ways.

20 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

LOL, you're welcome?

Well I don't watch Supernatural because I just don't like supernatural genre, and now I just have way too many seasons to catch up on. But I have loved Jensen since he was on Days, so I like seeing his pic. I also get excited for random SPN promos. Perhaps if they did a crossover with Arrow, I might finally get hooked in. :)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, kismet said:

Well I don't watch Supernatural because I just don't like supernatural genre, and now I just have way too many seasons to catch up on. But I have loved Jensen since he was on Days, so I like seeing his pic. I also get excited for random SPN promos. Perhaps if they did a crossover with Arrow, I might finally get hooked in. :)

If Bones could do a crossover with Sleepy Hollow, I don't see why they couldn't do one with Arrow and Supernatural.

Probably but it's the more horror & visceral elements of supernatural things that I just can't do. I also have trouble with grown up occult stuff. I'm good with it if it is on a YA level.

If it was all bro journeys and magical mystical rides I wouldn't have a problem. I'm really a wimp when it comes to graphic horror / occult elements. I really have no idea why because I can do realistic blood and guts like violence  & crime shows.

• Love 1
(edited)

I would have loved Supernatural if they had female characters. And, well, more characters in general. But I felt like the brothers' dynamic started to repeat itself already by season 2, so I can't imagine what it's like by season 11 or whatever it is now.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, kismet said:

Probably but it's the more horror & visceral elements of supernatural things that I just can't do. I also have trouble with grown up occult stuff. I'm good with it if it is on a YA level.

If it was all bro journeys and magical mystical rides I wouldn't have a problem. I'm really a wimp when it comes to graphic horror / occult elements. I really have no idea why because I can do realistic blood and guts like violence  & crime shows.

I noped out of the show for those reasons as well but I would think they could do a dumbed down version if they wanted to for a crossover.

Edited by BkWurm1
(edited)

Anyone here a fan of the Uncharted video game series? I'm watching the walkthough of Uncharted 4, and the storyline for the main couple has some uncanny similarities to Olicity season 4. *spoilers for the game*

Spoiler

Nathan Drake, the main character, finds his assumed-dead relative-- his brother, in this case-- and lies to his wife Elena to go help him. She finds out anyway, he explains that he lied to protect her and she tells him that he can't shut her out and that he should have told her everything so they could have worked it out together as a team. They also have conversations that include "for better or worse" and "nothing worthwhile comes easy". And they have a poster/postcard of Bali hanging on a wall at home.. 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, lemotomato said:

Anyone here a fan of the Uncharted video game series? I'm watching the walkthough of Uncharted 4, and the storyline for the main couple has some uncanny similarities to Olicity season 5. *spoilers for the game*

Reveal hidden contents

Nathan Drake, the main character, finds his assumed-dead relative-- his brother, in this case-- and lies to his wife Elena to go help him. She finds out anyway, he explains that he lied to protect her and she tells him that he can't shut her out and that he should have told her everything so they could have worked it out together as a team. They also have conversations that include "for better or worse" and "nothing worthwhile comes easy". And they have a poster/postcard of Bali hanging on a wall at home.. 

You mean season 4, right?

Oooh can someone tell me if this week's episode of Flash will spoil the death on Arrow? Can't start watching it until I know because Hubby doesn't want to be spoiled for Arrow and I can't check the Flash forum because I don't want to be spoilt for Flash.