Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Welcome to the board @Ah-maa-zing :) It's cool to see this on the board. Your tumblr posts are great! Question, did you get your url from the show, Happy Endings?

Okay... So to the board... I have a question, why is the 100 trying to assassinate Bellamy's characterization and overall growth from the past 2 seasons? Seriously. WHAT?! And they're tearing Bellamy down by building Lexa up and I really don't appreciate that. Now I'm just bitter about everything about that show because Bellamy was one of my favorites. -_- 

Thank you, @Wonderwall! I'm glad you like my Tumblr posts, although I have slacked off in that department recently. 

Yes - my URL is from Happy Endings! Penny was my favourite character on that show and I will forever hate the morons who cancelled it (*sobs forever*)...BUT I heard a rumour on Twitter recently (from Casey Wilson herself) that a private investor had offered to put up some money to fund a Happy Endings movie! How legit that is, I don't know, but it certainly got my hopes back up...

I thought your name sounded familiar. I've seen your stuff on tumblr/twitter. It's good. :)

Welcome to the Board!! Always nice to have a new voice & opinions. The main crew here is pretty awesome & the discussions are always engaging & insightful.

Thank you @kismet! Glad you like my stuff (though if you hated it, would you tell me? ;) ) I'm enjoying it here already, and I'm sure it will only get better. 

A big amen to the weird trend of third seasons being a little off...I haven't watched The 100 (though it was recommended by several people), but I agree on Arrow, VM, Nikita. I'd say that Buffy's Season 4 can be included in that category too. For some reason, the third/fourth season tends to be, at best mediocre, and at worst, rage-inducing. 

• Love 1

Welcome, ah-maa-zing! Love your namesake, Penny was my favorite character too!

Everything going on with Bellamy on The 100 is really disappointing me too. It's the first time show has done something that felt unearned to me, which is a bummer because one my favorite things about the show is how all of the terrible things these characters do are somehow understandable and forgivable. I'd recommend checking out Mo Ryan's interview with Jason Rothenberg regarding all of this if you haven't yet. I love that she's not afraid to be critical and hard on show runners. 

Dying in your sleep when you're pushing 90 is not a bad way to go.

Has anyone read Go Set a Watchman? I've been meaning to, I just never get around to it. Is it good or is it better to keep To Kill a Mockingbird in a bubble?

Ah, rest in peace, Harper. To Kill A Mockingbird is still one of my favourite books. 

From all I've heard, Go Set A Watchman will ruin TKAM for you. I'm definitely deliberately staying away from that one, though I have been spoiled on some of the bigger plot points. I prefer to think of TKAM as the one and only (I'm also not ecstatic about the way GSAW was published...)

• Love 2

It's a good read if you want to study the writing process if you think of the book as a first draft and not a sequel. It's not as well written and very sad in many ways but it's still better than a lot that's out there. It's kind of like reading fan fiction going into a direction you wish it didn't take. 

It's a good read if you want to study the writing process if you think of the book as a first draft and not a sequel. It's not as well written and very sad in many ways but it's still better than a lot that's out there. It's kind of like reading fan fiction going into a direction you wish it didn't take. 

I think she wrote it before TKAMB, so it not as polished.

I Read it for my book club and it's a good read, like @tarotx said. Some of the prose I really enjoyed, like when I read Jane Austin, the phrasing to satirise the ways of Scout's home town is really well written.

It's upsetting because it messes with the nostalgia and it takes away a vision that was there of a certain characters and events. It doesn't ruin TKAMB for me, but it's kind of like the Starwars prequals, takes aways a bit from the glory of the originals. 

Locking the spoilers thread seems a bit of an overreaction, considering the increased activity was due to new spoilers and not people freaking out just because. Oh, well..

Ditto and it self moderated on to other discussions ...surgery, Malcolm....

I want to see Vancouver. It looks beautiful. I would love to road trip the Pacific Northwest. 

Cape Breton is right next to Prince Edward Island which would make my Anne of Green Gables loving heart happy.

Summer Glau is going to be on Castle...

Are we finally going to learn more about Castle’s missing time? — Tiana

Yes! “We are going to conclude that missing time,” EP Terrence Paul Winter promises. “We’re going to find out exactly what happened. We know what happened those first two weeks, the other six weeks are still a mystery. We’re going to find out what happens in episode 14.” That’s the episode in which Castle heads to LA. “Castle gets involved with this legendary greatest detective society, which Gerald McRaney character runs,” EP Alexi Hawley adds. “Ultimately, he gets pitted against Summer Glau’s character to compete to solve a case.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/19/spoiler-room-how-get-away-murder-elementary-svu-spoilers?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter
(Warning: article includes spoilers for other shows)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Finished season 1 of X-Files. I have to thank you for your list dtissagirl, I was trying to get through all of them but found myself falling asleep through some of them. Then I pulled up your list and started watching those. 

Now onto Season 2 following your list. At this rate it will take me forever to catch up, but I'm one that needs to start from the beginning of things.  

Edited by Sakura12

I have a hard time skipping episodes of shows, or recommending that to others, but The X Files is a great exception. Because so much of it is procedural one-off episodes, and the character/relationship development happens at a glacial pace, it's absolutely unnecessary to watch the bad episodes. And I'd forgotten how bad those were until my husband watched the series for the first time this year and I had to watch some of them by osmosis. Truly terrible stuff.

• Love 3

Finished season 1 of X-Files. I have to thank you for your list dtissagirl, I was trying to get through all of them but found myself falling asleep through some of them. Then I pulled up your list and started watching those. 

Now onto Season 2 following your list. At this rate it will take me forever to catch up, but I'm one that needs to start from the beginning of things.  

Oh, I'm glad to hear the list is helping! S2 does have a whole lot more character and relationship development than S1, so your investment might improve as well. :)

Also: KRYCEK.

There is no fucking way on this planet Trump will be president. Nope nope nope. 

Even if Trump gets the republican nomination it will probably end up being him vs. Sanders/Clinton meaning: it's gonna be another 4 years for the democrats in the white house.. and I am personally fine with that!

• Love 1

Apropos of nothing, Pinterest really bothers me for letting you see an image for like 3 seconds and then demanding registration. It comes off as manipulative and I don't care for that.

It's also the reason why I reject Ikea. It hasn't been open that long near me, a year or two, and all my friends rave about it. Apart from not really wanting the same stuff everyone else has and it appearing huge (I got fatigued leafing through their catalogue), the set up which leads you through every part of the store before leading you to the cash registers and exits is such a transparent move, that I find it offensive.

• Love 1

Oh, I'm glad to hear the list is helping! S2 does have a whole lot more character and relationship development than S1, so your investment might improve as well. :)

Also: KRYCEK.

Hmm, yes, Krycek. Nicholas Lea got so much hotter as the season progressed

and he turned out to be evil

, and when he ditched the suits for the leather jacket  ;) I have to admit though, I've been underwhelmed by the revival. I've only truly enjoyed 1 episode: the third one with the lizard man. Although eps 2 & 4 are OK, too. Curious how they're going to end it tomorrow. 

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 1

Apropos of nothing, Pinterest really bothers me for letting you see an image for like 3 seconds and then demanding registration. It comes off as manipulative and I don't care for that.

It's also the reason why I reject Ikea. It hasn't been open that long near me, a year or two, and all my friends rave about it. Apart from not really wanting the same stuff everyone else has and it appearing huge (I got fatigued leafing through their catalogue), the set up which leads you through every part of the store before leading you to the cash registers and exits is such a transparent move, that I find it offensive.

Almost all retail stores do this.  They just aren't as open about it. At least with IKEA they have signs for shortcuts so I forgive them LOL.

I'm conflicted about the X-Files.  It's bad science (I cringed at Mulder's "trip" in the last episode) but forgetting that, fun.

Since I did my bi-annual visit to Ikea this weekend (they have a creamed roe that I love) I feel like I should defend them.

As I was going in, I noticed a lot of families coming out with vanilla ice cream cones ($1 only from the food shop).  It seems like shopping has now become an entertainment event.  At Ikea, there a great ball pit for the kids while parents look around at the rooms and decorations.  I was impressed at the full 2 bedroom apartment in only 568 sq metre. I wandered past the kitchens, dreaming of what I would do if I could, looked at the new bedrooms and down to the warehouse section where I decided against the ice tray that looked like pairs of lips.

Window shopping, or shopping with buying only small items, has become entertainment for families who can't afford fees for concerts or trips out of the city.  You go,  you dream, you buy a small souvenir.  Hiking would be healthier but at least they're doing something together.

Edited by statsgirl

Almost all retail stores do this.  They just aren't as open about it. At least with IKEA they have signs for shortcuts so I forgive them LOL.

Either the one in my area doesn't have those or my friends didn't see them. Maybe thhat's an American practice, because I haven't really noticed that.

It seems like shopping has now become an entertainment event.

I

This is very true and not something that appeals to me. It's not anything philosophical, I just get tired and bored with all the (often) harsh lights and music. One of my first goals if I ever get rich enough (so maybe in another life) is to hire a personal shopper who would get things to my place and then I'd be able to peruse them at leisure.

I know there's the Internet, but I do want to see some things in real space and touch and feel others.

If I'm talking about gripes it's that I find standard clothing numbers aren't that standard at all. I stay the same, yet my clothes run from small to large, with two or three extra small shirts thrown in, which is beyond ridiculous. I haven't been extra small a day in my life. Maybe if I stood with an NFL team. That is why I don't shop for clothes online.

• Love 2

I've been reading a few reviews of last night's episode of The Walking Dead and I think it's funny that no one seems to be complaining about the latest hook-up between two main characters on that show who have been close friends and staunch allies for a few years.  It was a ship that was popular with fans.  Even a review that said the hook-up came out of nowhere still loved it.  (Also, the guy hooked up with a different character in the original comics.)

Edited by tv echo

Richonne were not a destined to be with anyone else or comic super hero couple. Plus talk about slow burn. I didn't even know I shipped them until they sat on the couch together to talk about their day like a married couple and I got all excited when the held hands and leaned in for the kiss. 

It probably helped that  they saw Jesus after they had sex. :D

• Love 4

Comic wise, Rick was supposed to be with Andrea.  They've basically put Michonne into the Comic Andrea role as surrogate mother to Carl and Rick's LI.  Michonne was with Tyresse and Morgan in the comics, not sure who she's currently with (if anyone).

Castle was really good tonight... completely messed with my mind for a bit....

Of course they have to ruin it by mentioning Soulmates & One True Loves but it was for a sociopathic psych experiment so perhaps there is some message there. :)

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

The last few episodes of Castle have been quite good.  Last week's Red I thought was excellent.  I guess it's true that "nothing clears the mind like a hanging in the morning".

Did anyone see Downton Abbey last night?  Edith failed to tell Bertie that she had an illegitimate child and Bertie broke their engagement because he said he couldn't be with someone who doesn't trust him.  Oliver, take note.

I know there's the Internet, but I do want to see some things in real space and touch and feel others.

If I'm talking about gripes it's that I find standard clothing numbers aren't that standard at all. I stay the same, yet my clothes run from small to large, with two or three extra small shirts thrown in, which is beyond ridiculous. I haven't been extra small a day in my life. Maybe if I stood with an NFL team. That is why I don't shop for clothes online.

I'll second that.  I'm not cool if I don't shop on-line but the sizes are so different and when you add in European sizing, it makes it even harder.

• Love 3

I did watch Downton last night and sadly my Arrow experience bled into DA and slightly ruined it. Once again, Julian Fellowes & DA were far superior to Arrow in both the paralysis story & secret children stories. So instead of enjoying DA, I sat there wondering why ARROW can't seem to even get the basics of the dramatic plot right.

That being said, I'm so sad that I have only one episode of Downton left!! I just don't know how to deal with it ending. I knew it was coming, but somehow I felt like perhaps I could put it off just a little longer. :(

• Love 1

Did anyone see Downton Abbey last night?  Edith failed to tell Bertie that she had an illegitimate child and Bertie broke their engagement because he said he couldn't be with someone who doesn't trust him.  Oliver, take note.

Poor Edith.  Yes, she hesitated too long but she didn't deserve that. Bertie also broke up with her because he couldn't trust her after she'd basically tricked him.  The break up was so horribly civil it really did make everything worse. 

Enjoyed her finally getting the chance to tell off Mary but apparently I didn't get my pound of flesh for long.  Edith is too forgiving.  Mary gets everything she's wanted and Edith makes due, almost too well equipped for tragedy.   I'm am really hoping for a surprise happy ending for her. 

I don't actually hate Mary but I do hate that everyone while upset at what she did just kind of accepted her actions as yep, that's Mary and moved on to being happy for her, no lingering consequences. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

Mary was complete bitch in DA, but it still was Edith's lie, however 

I don't feel sorry for her since she can be such a passive martyr, she self sabotages herself so much during the final episode and it still work out for her.

I found the final season as a whole whelming...it was time to end it. 

Having said that I wouldn't mind seeing next generation DA.

Edited by Genki
  • Love 1

It was a parallel I think to when Mary lost Matthew because she hesitated on telling him about Pamouk.

Mary might be a b**CH but she has promoted the idea of honesty in relationships.

I might have been the only one not very mad at Mary for dropping the truth. One I think Bertie deserved the truth and secondly, I thought Mary deserved the truth.

Both Edith and Mary make their own beds so to speak with their mistakes, they just base different ways of dealing with the fallout. I'm glad they finally made Edith less mopey and more proactive in the last 2 seasons. Mary has always been more proactive but her behavior has always been laced with a harshness that really only Matthew and Tom are able to soften.

I don't really like this new guy for her, but he was the last one standing when the show finished and everyone needs their happy ending. But I would have preferred somebody different to her, although it was nice to look at Matthew Goode.

• Love 2

I thought that Mary almost lost Matthew because she thought she was too good for him The same reason she almost lost Henry.  I did like all the truth tea about Mary in the last couple of episodes, even from Anna and then Bates calling her a bully.

I think they would have told Mary the truth if  they could have trusted her with the secret.  They were right to keep it secret from her because she doesn't care about either Edith or Marigold.  Having ruined Edith's chance at a happy marriage, I can see her telling breaking the news about Marigold's illegitimacy if Marigold were going to get some honour (e.g. as one of the Queen's ladies in waiting).

Mary might be a b**CH but she has promoted the idea of honesty in relationships.

I might have been the only one not very mad at Mary for dropping the truth. One I think Bertie deserved the truth and secondly, I thought Mary deserved the truth.

Has Mary ever promoted the idea of honesty in relationships except when it served her own interests?  She was fine with Anna keeping secrets from Bates and everyone keeping the secret of Parmuk.

Mary thought she didn't need to tell Bertie about Marigold because she assumed that Bertie was going to drop Edith like a hot potato because he's going to be the Marquis now. When she realized that he wouldn't, she told him about Marigold in the most snide way to sabotage Edith's happy ending.

I don't actually hate Mary but I do hate that everyone while upset at what she did just kind of accepted her actions as yep, that's Mary and moved on to being happy for her, no lingering consequences. 

I know, that made me laugh.  Anyone else finding out that just like herself, her sister had also lot the love of her life in death, and  also had a small child who was the only living memory of that love, would have bonded over their shared losses. But not Mary, everyone just accepts that she's going to be as nasty to Edith as she possibly can now that she knows.

• Love 1

Mary being horrid to Edith after Michael's (?) disappearance was likely the first time I want, I'm done with you at her. She was a freaking zombie for months after Matthew's death. So she damn well knew what that feels like. And she reacted with, You always have to ruin everyone's fun. Oh-kay.

Mary presented hedging on Matthew's proposal in S1 being due to him not being certain as the heir due to Cora's pregnancy, but I always felt the thing with Pamuk was an even bigger part of it. She just didn't share that with anyone. My read was that she couldn't get married to him without being honest and she was afraid of the consequences if she told him. In contrast, she had no trouble getting engaged to the newspaper shark in S2 while keeping the secret from him.

• Love 2

RICHONNE...ALL MY HEART EYES at those idiots.

I have never been more excited about a ship of mine becoming canon than Richonne. I have longed for it. I saw things that I thought were planting seeds from the moment they met at the fence. I expressed my impressions only to be shouted down at TWoP back in the day. I think I actually got warned because I was defending my ship.

I'm just sayin'......FUCK YEAH!

As to Downton Abbey, I can't stand Mary. Probably hits too close to home for me, with one of my siblings who bullies everyone, is manipulative and gets away with it left and right. Yet when I stand up to said sibling, I'm the bad guy.

At least Mary seems to kind of give a shit after she's either caught or has hurt someone. She knows how to at least say 'I'm sorry'. My sibling has literally never apologized for anything ever. Always justifications for behavior and denial of hurting someone. Sigh.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2

might have been the only one not very mad at Mary for dropping the truth. One I think Bertie deserved the truth and secondly, I thought Mary deserved the truth.

Bertie deserved the truth but I wasn't ready to count Edith out when it comes to telling him.  Her knowing he needed to be told was the whole reason why she didn't just say yes to his proposal.  She didn't want to hide it, she was just afraid.  Bertie kind of took the answer he wanted from her and she went along with it but given Edith's characterization, I too think she wouldn't have let him marry her without the whole truth, she just had that time taken away from her. 

As for Mary deserving to know about Marigold, no, I disagree.  NOBODY thought they should let Mary have that information.  Tom even got yelled at for her finding out.  Everyone knew that Mary would misbehave if she had knowledge about Marigold and she did exactly that.  It was accepted that she couldn't be trusted to have Edith's best interests at heart. 

What kills me was how casual afterward everyone was about such a betrayal.  Not even Edith held Mary to a higher standard.  Maybe everyone's very low expectations of her will finally force Mary to examine her behavior and grow up. 

Mary being horrid to Edith after Michael's (?) disappearance was likely the first time I want, I'm done with you at her. She was a freaking zombie for months after Matthew's death. So she damn well knew what that feels like. And she reacted with, You always have to ruin everyone's fun. Oh-kay.

Mary presented hedging on Matthew's proposal in S1 being due to him not being certain as the heir due to Cora's pregnancy, but I always felt the thing with Pamuk was an even bigger part of it. She just didn't share that with anyone. My read was that she couldn't get married to him without being honest and she was afraid of the consequences if she told him. In contrast, she had no trouble getting engaged to the newspaper shark in S2 while keeping the secret from him.

The newspaper shark knew about Pamouk in s2, when she wanted to break it off he threatened to blackmail her with it and reveal it in his papers. He also before that helped to buy off the original Mrs. Bates. When the blackmail came to be is when they finally had to tell Robert and he said some amazingly perfect fatherly things about how her happiness was more important to him than whatever shame could some from the newshark reveal.

I do think that Mary verbalized with Cora (maybe even Violet) about not being able to fully commit to Matthew because of the Pamouk secret, but then she used the heir thing as an excuse. And then WWI happened, and nobody could actually talk about the whole scenario. I feel like she finally told him about it during the last episode before their engagement & he told her that it never would have been a big thing and he had wished she had told him sooner because they wasted time.

I do think that Mary treated her horribly after Michael went missing. I never understood why the writers made her that horrible, I think it was still an extension of her grief over Matthew. I also never understood why Edith didn't just claim to be secretly married to him before he left when the whole HEIR to his estate came into play. She even could have acknowledge Marigold publicly.

But I don't mind that Mary blew the secret at breakfast. I think Edith had that coming since she wrote to the Turkish Embassy. That betrayal threw Mary's whole honor into peril, which was their only commodity at the time. Personally, I cheered a little. I think it was very deceitful of Edith to not tell Bertie about Marigold's parentage, there was no need for her to mention it at the beginning of their courtship, but she should have told him before she said yes, especially when they were talking about children. Edith was asking for Bertie to be a step-father without fulling telling him the whole truth. I think he'll forgive her, but I did find it shady of both Edith & Robert to try to trick him into a marriage without full information.

• Love 1

The newspaper shark knew about Pamouk in s2, when she wanted to break it off he threatened to blackmail her with it and reveal it in his papers. He also before that helped to buy off the original Mrs. Bates. When the blackmail came to be is when they finally had to tell Robert and he said some amazingly perfect fatherly things about how her happiness was more important to him than whatever shame could some from the newshark reveal.

But I don't mind that Mary blew the secret at breakfast. I think Edith had that coming since she wrote to the Turkish Embassy. That betrayal threw Mary's whole honor into peril, which was their only commodity at the time. Personally, I cheered a little. I think it was very deceitful of Edith to not tell Bertie about Marigold's parentage, there was no need for her to mention it at the beginning of their courtship, but she should have told him before she said yes, especially when they were talking about children. Edith was asking for Bertie to be a step-father without fulling telling him the whole truth. I think he'll forgive her, but I did find it shady of both Edith & Robert to try to trick him into a marriage without full information.

I meant that Mary thought the guy was unaware of it when they got engaged and seemingly had no issue in getting married to him while that remained so.

Mary got her pound of flesh for Pamuk when she got rid of the neighbor (God, I'm just forgetting ALL the names, the one who later left Edith at th alter) in season 1. Back then everyone believed that was Edith's only chance (as opposed to 98% of people in later seasons) and it was before the war when Edith started branching out into different things aside from suitors. Edith definitely deserved that one, especially since it was the dumbest she'd been during my time watching the show! Edith, you dumb sad sack, you shot youself in the foot just as much as Mary! So that move by Mary was understandable to me. This is 10 or more years into the future, Mary has bounced from the scandal and the threat of it, has some excellent things happen to her on the one hand and suffered huge losses on the other. If she is motivated by that, all I've got to say is, Jesus, get some perspective.

How did this thing with Matthew Goode work out for the viewers? From what I gather, he showed up in last year's Christmas special and was then in like half this season. It doesn't sound like something I'd get invested in to be honest. My favorite Mary in later seasons was the one who gave Tony a try and then decided she didn't want him. If it were up to me, I think I'd leave her with taking on lovers from time to time. And then imagining her getting married to one of them maybe 10 years down the line after he went, dude, we've been doing this for three years and I'm bonkers about you. In case you haven't been paying attention, you're mad about me too. The church is booked for Sunday, be there at 11.

I think Mary was a bit hurt that everyone knew about and was lying to her about Marigold (especially some of her trusted and closest confidants) and turned it into a self-fulfilling prophecy that she would use it against Edith, which I suspect she wouldn't if they had let her in.

I happy to talk more once the full season has aired in the US, but for now that is all I will say about Edith & Mary.

Matthew Good's character was more of a case of "Tell" and not "Show" and I know there was some very sad personal BTS circumstances for MD, but I did not see a connection or chemistry between Mary and his character at all.

• Love 2

My post got gobbled up by my phone, wil edit when I get out of work, my mtg just started. :(

I meant that Mary thought the guy was unaware of it when they got engaged and seemingly had no issue in getting married to him while that remained so.

Mary got her pound of flesh for Pamuk when she got rid of the neighbor (God, I'm just forgetting ALL the names, the one who later left Edith at th alter) in season 1. Back then everyone believed that was Edith's only chance (as opposed to 98% of people in later seasons) and it was before the war when Edith started branching out into different things aside from suitors. Edith definitely deserved that one, especially since it was the dumbest she'd been during my time watching the show! Edith, you dumb sad sack, you shot youself in the foot just as much as Mary! So that move by Mary was understandable to me. This is 10 or more years into the future, Mary has bounced from the scandal and the threat of it, has some excellent things happen to her on the one hand and suffered huge losses on the other. If she is motivated by that, all I've got to say is, Jesus, get some perspective.

How did this thing with Matthew Goode work out for the viewers? From what I gather, he showed up in last year's Christmas special and was then in like half this season. It doesn't sound like something I'd get invested in to be honest. My favorite Mary in later seasons was the one who gave Tony a try and then decided she didn't want him. If it were up to me, I think I'd leave her with taking on lovers from time to time. And then imagining her getting married to one of them maybe 10 years down the line after he went, dude, we've been doing this for three years and I'm bonkers about you. In case you haven't been paying attention, you're mad about me too. The church is booked for Sunday, be there at 11.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

I think Mary was a bit hurt that everyone knew about and was lying to her about Marigold (especially some of her trusted and closest confidants) and turned it into a self-fulfilling prophecy that she would use it against Edith, which I suspect she wouldn't if they had let her in.

That was my impression too. She was mad that the whole family kept the secret from her which pretty much ensured that she would find a nasty moment to break it to them that she knew. It also didn't help the situation that Edith escalated the situation by goading Mary while she was visibly upset about Henry leaving. If you poke a bear... That all said, it still was an awful thing for Mary to do, even if Edith's would-be fiance had every right to know that he would become an insta-parent(not unlike Felicity...*ahem*). I personally wasn't convinced that Edith was going to come clean to him since she's hadn't exactly been a beacon of truth over the years. Regardless, it was her secret to tell and Mary crossed the line.

Matthew Good's character was more of a case of "Tell" and not "Show" and I know there was some very sad personal BTS circumstances for MD, but I did not see a connection or chemistry between Mary and his character at all.

I hate how rushed this romance was. Furthermore, I kind of hated that yet again we had men dictating what Mary had to do or how she should feel. The worst of it was that Fellowes made Tom's whole reason for existing to get Mary to commit to Henry. He became so obsessed that at times it felt like he wished he could marry Henry himself. Ugh all over the place.

Side note: I do have to give MD props in her performances towards the end of this season. I thought she held it all together incredibly well considering her real life fiance was diagnosed with cancer. I still can't believe that she honored her commitment to the U.S. promotional tour as he lay on his deathbed back home. Thankfully they finally let her go home to be with him in his last days

• Love 2

My post got gobbled up by my phone, wil edit when I get out of work, my mtg just started. :(

Mtg is over :)

What I meant is that it is karma that Edith's scandalous secret got revealed after she revealed her sister's secret. When you put bad things into the world for selfish reasons, bad things happen & I think it was Karma working itself out, a secret for a secret. I really do not think that Mary was intentionally trying to ruin her sister's happiness or engagement. I think she just thought that the secret would already be out since all of the other people important to Edith knew about the secret. Mary can be mean, but I don't think she was intentionally that mean at this point in their lives. And I do believe that her apology was sincere. Even if it was intentional on Mary's part, I really had no sympathy for Edith because she had ample & appropriate time to tell Bertie.

As for M. Goode, I have no idea how he went over with the audience. Since EOnline spoiled Matthew's death for me a whole season ahead of time (never forgave them for that), I've tried to avoid all online info about the show. My friends & I who watch the show basically just accepted him as a valid option. They did have chemistry and the show was ending so it just was like OK I guess that works for a happy ending.

Personally, out of the new beaus I think the guy she had the most chemistry with was the one who helped her set-up the pigs who was surveying the properties. It was Evelyn's friend who turned out to be some high-titled guy. To me they worked on all levels from actual chemistry to positioning on the show, it was just a timing thing being too close to Matthew's death. I wonder if the actor was not available & that is why they went with Tony. I liked Tony, but I thought he was a snoozefest & had no chemistry with Mary. I do feel bad for Evelyn, it started with Pamouk and went to the last episode where he was always interested in Mary, but she kept on choosing other guys over him. It was just sad after awhile like Charlie Brown with his football.

• Love 1

Personally, out of the new beaus I think the guy she had the most chemistry with was the one who helped her set-up the pigs who was surveying the properties. It was Evelyn's friend who turned out to be some high-titled guy. To me they worked on all levels from actual chemistry to positioning on the show, it was just a timing thing being too close to Matthew's death. I wonder if the actor was not available & that is why they went with Tony. I liked Tony, but I thought he was a snoozefest & had no chemistry with Mary. I do feel bad for Evelyn, it started with Pamouk and went to the last episode where he was always interested in Mary, but she kept on choosing other guys over him. It was just sad after awhile like Charlie Brown with his football.

I really liked Charles Blake as well because he wasn't afraid to call Mary out on her bullshit but still admired her fortitude. I'm always a sucker for those TV relationships where opposites attract and they end up bringing out another side of each other. I think had he and Tony G. not been shoved at the audience so quickly after Matthew's death the show could have written an organic progression there. Fellowes stumbled badly in making it a stupid love triangle. Re: Julian Ovenden's availability perhaps being a part of the reason everything was rushed: he was doing a recurring role on "Person of Interest" right about that same time but who knows whether that played into what happened on DA. I thought Mary and Charles had definite possibilities. Both Tony and Evelyn were just plain boring.

• Love 4

I really liked Charles Blake as well because he wasn't afraid to call Mary out on her bullshit but still admired her fortitude. I'm always a sucker for those TV relationships where opposites attract and they end up bringing out another side of each other. I think had he and Tony G. not been shoved at the audience so quickly after Matthew's death the show could have written an organic progression there. Fellowes stumbled badly in making it a stupid love triangle. Re: Julian Ovenden's availability perhaps being a part of the reason everything was rushed: he was doing a recurring role on "Person of Interest" right about that same time but who knows whether that played into what happened on DA. I thought Mary and Charles had definite possibilities. Both Tony and Evelyn were just plain boring.

Thank you! I was too lazy to look up his name, but I love the name Charles so you think I would have remembered it. Perhaps it was my mind protecting me from wanting what it could not have. I didn't mind the love triangle set-up, because it felt like Mary would be interested in both. But I was greatly disappointed when they went with Tony over Charlie. If you're gonna write a triangle and not nail down the actor with the most chemistry then what is the point of a love triangle?

Plus the whole weekend in sin thing was just not something I would have seen Mary doing after the Pamouk scandal. If it was supposed to spice up Tony, it failed miserably. I would have preferred if they gave that storyline to Edith with Michael if they wanted to show that there was forms of birth control or people becoming more adventurous.