Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

There was a point where Mulder was line dancing to Achey Breaky Heart and suddenly I was so sad that of all the times characters on Arrow got hit with Vertigo, none of them segued into doing the Pulp Fiction dance surrounded by former friends and admirers. 

Ha! Maybe they're saving it for the wedding episode. Someone better do the electric slide at least.

And wait, Mulder doesn't do stairs? What?

• Love 1

Ha! Maybe they're saving it for the wedding episode. Someone better do the electric slide at least.

And wait, Mulder doesn't do stairs? What?

He's not geriatric, lol, just apparently isn't going to run on them. 

They had a suspect that was leading them to something down a dark stairwell but he made a break for it and they both just kind of let him run off.  Scully looks at Mulder and he says, "What?  I wasn't going to shoot the kid and I don't do stairs."  And then she mentioned back in the day running down suspects in high heels and he points out she's doing that now.   Seriously so much cuter than I can explain. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

I have been with Castle since the beginning. And I have to agree it has been one of the most enjoyable shows I have ever watched.

Even the will they or won't they was strong but never distracting...They definitely only had a few predictable ship stalls and those were tolerable. Up until the wedding debacle I thought they would go the whole show without really messing up the show by messing with the couple. But the wedding storyline was a disaster. Whoever dreamed up that whole storyline needed to be reprimanded from beginning to end it was bad. This new version of keeping them apart if just a further mistake compounded by the fact that the wedding really made me question the writers intentions with the couple. When they focus on the romance for drama is when it falters. It was never really a show about two people getting together romantically, that just happened because of TV & chemistry.

That all being said, I never really watched the show for Caskett (Castle & Beckett) it was just a nice little perk of the show. The wedding frustrated me because it put the couple drama front & center, just like this separation is doing. Ultimately, the show just works best when they focus on solving the quirky murders and allowing for character interaction & development. The whole cast is really great with each other onscreen and have good chemistry. Some of the stuff they have done with the backstories or overarcing seasons plots has been really good. But the show is still a lot of fun, you just have to ignore that dumb plotting that is being done around the pairing until the showrunners course correct it.

• Love 1

My Felicity Funko finally came in the mail! For future reference though, Pop in a Box aren't the best people to be dealing with. I didn't get an order confirmation back in December when I first made the order, and I only got an invoice and an e-mail saying that they were processing my order just over a week ago. 

• Love 1

It always amazes me when show producers think that they can duplicate cast chemistry.  Yes, they can do chemistry screen tests with actors, which helps.  But sometimes, it's just something that happens and that can't be manufactured.  A few examples: The X-Files with DD and GA (nothing I saw with the junior team matched them, just like when they brought in Robert Patrick and Annabeth Gish), The Walking Dead with the core characters (Fear the Walking Dead was a major fail in terms of casting), Firefly (never to be duplicated), and of course, Arrow with SA's Oliver and EBR's Felicity.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Firefly is such an interesting example to me, because while I thought Sean and Summer has fantastic chemistry in their scenes, I am still completely blown away about how great the group has chemistry more so than the one on one actors and I never see that happening again.

• Love 5

I think if Firefly was made in the last 10 years instead of 2002 the show would have have survived for more than 1/2 of a season. I also think if the show had been on another network besides FOX both then & now, it would have had more opportunity for survival.

The chemistry of the whole cast as a unit, as well as some couplings was phenomenal. The problem with the show was the premise was a little hard for the general public to understand. It was western meets sci-fi, which can be cool but does not necessarily translate into numbers. In many ways it was a version of steampunk. As a result, it could develop a loyal following and niche audience - but its harder to explain or appeal to the general masses. And in 2002 before streaming, before internet was so commonplace, when traditional methods of TV viewing rained supreme a show like Firefly never had a chance once a network chose not to invest in it. I feel like FOX took a chance on it, it was a quirky experiment and they pulled the public at the first speckling of panic.

If the show was on now, I feel like it would have been one of those watercooler shows at least for a few seasons in its prime. I have no doubt if it had been dropped by FOX, one the other networks, cable channels or streaming sites would have picked it up. The show just needed a little more time to build its audience beyond its core niche audience. However, I can't see a revival of the show doing well because its strength was the actors and their chemistry together. And regardless of how much people want to recreate that magic in a bottle - it just can't be done on demand. Sometimes, even if you bring back the original crew it can't be done because too much time has passed.

• Love 5

Sadly that's par for the course on Fox news.  Hypocrisy sells because their audience wants their beliefs reinforced, not questioned. Right now they're all about "Obama can't nominate a judge in his last  year, it's against the consitution" when Ronald Reagan did just that.

Fox cancelled Firefly too soon, and then felt so bad about it that they let Dollhouse go on too long.

• Love 2

After that rough patch in the first season I thought Dollhouse was brilliant. And through those first few episodes I found the concept really engaging. But I don't think I ever got over Terminator being canceled in favor of it.

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 5

After that rough patch in the first season I thought Dollhouse was brilliant. And through those first few episodes I found the concept really engaging. But I don't think I ever got over Terminator being canceled in favor of it.

Ugh, yeah. I'll always resent Dollhouse for getting renewed instead of Terminator, depriving me of more episodes with hot uncle Derek.
  • Love 1

That middle stretch of Terminator season two made me much less sad about that show getting cancelled, even if it seemed to be heading in the right direction during the finale. Lena Headey made a real good Sarah Connor though. I actually saw The Sarah Connor Chronicles before the original films so I usually think of Headey before Hamilton when remembering the character.

• Love 2

It's been a long time, but yeah, I remember there being some very snoozeworthy episodes in the second season. And the whole mess with John and the blonde (Riley?) that was his girlfriend for awhile. Lena Headey was an amazing Sarah Connor, and yes, Derek was hot, but the second season was a mess.

• Love 1

Paul Lee out at ABC.

http://tvline.com/2016/02/17/paul-lee-abc-president-quits-leaving/

I wonder if this means ABC is in for more cancellations than normal this season.

That doesn't bode well for me. Most of my shows on ABC exist on the bubble. I feel like the Weds Comedies & TGIT are safe. If OUAT was not a Disney promotional show, I would say it was out. But Castle, Nashville, Galavant, Agent Carter even Quantico I think are all potentially on the chopping block.

I'm not surprised with his departure though, the new shows that ABC put out this season failed to perform overall. I don't see how Castle's slide is his fault. But it was a weak showing for ABC this season. That being said, it seems like they have some good stuff in the pipeline. I just hope they give shows ample notice to end show on a proper note.

• Love 1

I really do enjoy Castle but I'd trade it in for another season of Agent Carter.  Last week they did their own "heroes in a row walk in slow mo" and it was awesome in it's lack of awesomeness (nervous butler, guy limping in a leg brace, female secret agent, Rose the gal that said "Love the Hat" [who knew she was a trained agent?] dork from the science department)  IT WAS AWESOME!!!  Seriously, I wondered if MG's wife was sending up Arrow. 

• Love 8

Is that scene on Youtube? Because it sounds cool.

You should just watch the whole show, Agent Carter is really great, only mis-step, for me, is the supposed Peggy/Snooza romance, not feeling that at all.

Note: if you comment wasn't referring to Agent Carter....whoops! Move along.

• Love 5

You should just watch the whole show, Agent Carter is really great, only mis-step, for me, is the supposed Peggy/Snooza romance, not feeling that at all.

I like Sousa, I think he's awesome.  As for the romance between him and Peggy, and the possibility of him being Peggy's husband, Peggy has a type and Sousa is it.  I'm really going to miss Agent Carter if they cancel it.

• Love 1

ah-maa-zing, welcome to the board!  The only problem with being on this board is that you will often lament why the hell isn't that person writing, editing, producing, directing, and handling PR for Arrow?  Seriously, there is knowledge, writing talent and wit here without compare.   Usually, it makes watching/tolerating the show much better; however, sometimes it will just piss you off that they are not the actual people in charge.    We are also almost certain that Laura Hurley from Cinema Blend totally shadows us here.  Show yourself Laura!

• Love 6

WaitandHope - thanks! I'm sure all of that is true - it's one of the reasons I finally signed up. 

Full disclosure, I've been very active since late 2014 on Tumblr/Twitter (same username across the board), but have in recent months found that I need somewhere a little more...nuanced, shall we say, so having heard good things about this place, I finally took the plunge. (Of course, I still frequent Tumblr for all the pretty GIFs ;) ) 

Laura's a friend -- I'm not sure if she is on here or shadows the place, but I'm sure she'd appreciate the shout-out!

Thanks again; I look forward to some engaging discussions! 

• Love 7

Welcome ah-maa-zing!  I found this board because I did a google search looking for Laura Hurley's critiques--I couldn't remember where they were published--and ended up finding a board full of people who if they weren't themselves Laura Hurley, could at least have an intelligent conversation with her. In my experience people here are smart and engaged, balance their love for the show while acknowledging the stupid, and ignore the trolls. Hope you enjoy.

• Love 6

thegirlsleuth - hello and thanks for the warm welcome! 

In my experience people here are smart and engaged, balance their love for the show while acknowledging the stupid, and ignore the trolls.

I think this ^ pretty much cements it for me - I'm going to enjoy being here. 

• Love 1

Full disclosure, I've been very active since late 2014 on Tumblr/Twitter (same username across the board), but have in recent months found that I need somewhere a little more...nuanced, shall we say, so having heard good things about this place, I finally took the plunge. (Of course, I still frequent Tumblr for all the pretty GIFs ;) )

oh! I follow your blog actually, I didn't even realize you were a new poster because I'm so used to seeing you on my feed. Welcome!

Laura's a friend -- I'm not sure if she is on here or shadows the place, but I'm sure she'd appreciate the shout-out!

Welcome oh Aah-maa-zing one!

Friendly debate already!  I'm of the opinion the lovely Laura needs to stay anonymous otherwise I know I wouldn't be able to resist trying to more directly influence her lovely articles and posts. 

Awesome - thank you! It's always interesting/strange navigating a new place, and not wanting to disrupt the regulars. Glad to be here, anyhow. I've heard good things...

Don't worry about disrupting anything or anyone.  Every opinion is welcome and every comment and post just makes it that much richer of a place to be. 

• Love 3

Welcome to the board @Ah-maa-zing :) It's cool to see this on the board. Your tumblr posts are great! Question, did you get your url from the show, Happy Endings?

Okay... So to the board... I have a question, why is the 100 trying to assassinate Bellamy's characterization and overall growth from the past 2 seasons? Seriously. WHAT?! And they're tearing Bellamy down by building Lexa up and I really don't appreciate that. Now I'm just bitter about everything about that show because Bellamy was one of my favorites. -_- 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 3

I'm so sad about all that stuff on The 100, wonderwall. I have no answers for you except to say that they seem to have come up with their objectives for the season--some big conflicts they wanted to create--and then wrote backwards from those. Which is kind of the opposite of what I loved about the show, and I'm so disappointed. It also looks like they're shoving Raven off to C-story land. Again. Some more. So that's two of my favorite characters they're fucking up, not counting Clarke who I think is getting too close too soon to Lexa again, and it feels OOC to me. Sigh. Oh well, we had two great seasons! Maybe they'll turn it around by the end, learn their lessons, and come back with a better S4. Sounds...familiar.

• Love 3

Ugh, was it that bad? I have company and haven't been able to watch yet.

It's really bad. They're screwing every character except for maybe Lexa/Kane/Abbie.

Ugh I'm just bitter. The 100 was SUCH a great show, but I honestly have no one to root for anymore. My interest in Clarke is waning because I don't know WHY she'd ever be close to a woman who forced her to commit genocide, Bellamy is getting worse and worse, Raven is pretty much a non-entity right now, Jaha is like the Malcolm Merlyn AND Laurel Lance of the show (unnecessary, makes terrible and selfish decisions, and should've died a long time ago). IDK. I'm disappointed. 

Why does TV this year suck?

Well, I said it in the 100 forum, or meant to, whatever and is like Carrie Ann said, sometimes third seasons just...make no sense. Arrow, Nikita, the 100. Hopefully it's just a bump.

I hope so... But I honestly don't know how they can bring Bellamy back from this. Unless he's a mole, IDK. 

At least on Arrow I have people to root for, it's what keeps me watching the show even when the main protagonist makes stupid ass decisions, it's not really teh same for The 100 right now when the good characters you actually root for are marginalized, and the characters you used to love are just making terrible decisions that you can't support on a moral level. 

• Love 1

Well, I said it in the 100 forum, or meant to, whatever and is like Carrie Ann said, sometimes third seasons just...make no sense. Arrow, Nikita, the 100. Hopefully it's just a bump.

I would add Alias and Veronica Mars to the list too.

• Love 1

I've never been super invested on The 100, but I really liked it that it was built upon one of my favorite kind of community stories: people forced to learn to work together through adversity, and almost accidentally becoming a family in the process.

And this season is kind of the opposite of that so far. Except for the Violent Femmes roadtrip, I've enjoyed nothing.

• Love 3

WaitandHope - thanks! I'm sure all of that is true - it's one of the reasons I finally signed up. 

I thought your name sounded familiar. I've seen your stuff on tumblr/twitter. It's good. :)

Welcome to the Board!! Always nice to have a new voice & opinions. The main crew here is pretty awesome & the discussions are always engaging & insightful.

I'm going to need weekly updates here on when it is safe to watch the 100 again, I don't mind letting a few of their episodes pile up....it is disappointing what they are doing to to some characters this season.

Edited by Genki
  • Love 1

I'm going to need weekly updates here on when it is safe to watch the 100 again, I don't mind letting a few of their episodes pile up....it is disappointing what they are doing to to some characters this season.

I got a weird vibe early into the season (since Clarke was in the tower talking with Lexa) and have been doing just this.  I was thinking it was time to dive back in but now...yeah, I think I'll let a couple more pile up.  The bad is always easier to take if you can get past it fast and just move on. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3