Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I will be extremely disappointed if Sookie and Paris don't make an appearance in Gilmore Girls.

Honestly, I don't need to see any of Rory's love interests. Would like to see Jess, but don't need to see him.

I dont' understand how Melissa McCarthy wasn't invited for the GG reunion. How can Lorelai's best friend NOT be in the new season?!!?!??!? What did she have another 50 kids all this time??? Because unfortunately that's what would've happened if Rosenthal was in charge of the GG reunion. -_-

And Paris is a must. I really do hope she makes it but I get why she wouldn't because of HTGAWM... Ugh.

I could understand both McCarthy and Weil not being about to be in on the show full time. Weil is a regular on another show and McCarthy has promotion and other projects going. I get it. But I have a hard time believing they wouldn't be able to arrange something, I know Weil has said that she would like to return. 

Conflicting reports on McCarthy. I can see Gilmore Girls assuming McCarthy wouldn't be able to make an appearance and writing that into the show. I hope that the creators are trying to work her in though, if McCarthy is willing.

• Love 1

I get that, but, why wouldn't they invite Melissa back? If Gilmore Girls had a fandom I wasn't in it but I never heard of conflicts.

I naturally assumed that Melissa would be too busy and no longer comes cheap. But why would either party lie about it?

• Love 1

I don't know. I could see damage control from S-P if McCarthy brought up not being invited but S-P talked about the lack of Sookie first and she didn't have to add the invite to McCarthy. That would be so easy for McCarthy to call out (which she did). Maybe I just don't want drama around my Gilmore Girls revival, but I could see the ball just being dropped by someone's team.

I don't blame S-P for not writing in Sookie. External forces and all that. I just need an appearance or two to be happy. 

EDITED: I was shortening names to make it easy, but I couldn't call Melissa McCarthy 'MM'….you know you watch too much Arrow when

Edited by Chaser
  • Love 1

Yeah, Sookie was beloved on Gilmore Girls (still my favorite Melissa M role.  She was a fully realized character and there were zero fat jokes.).  I wouldn't be surprised if it's a combo of the Gilmore Girl camp assuming she'd be too busy and the message not getting to the right people in a timely manner. 

This is interesting;

Nielsen Plays Catch-Up as Streaming Era Wreaks Havoc on TV Raters

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/03/business/media/nielsen-playing-catch-up-as-tv-viewing-habits-change-and-digital-rivals-spring-up.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1

Yet Nielsen is established on an inherent conflict that can impede the adoption of new measurement methods. Nielsen is paid hundreds of millions of dollars a year by the television industry that it measures. And that industry, which uses Nielsen’s ratings to sell ads, is known to oppose changes that do not favor it. “People want us to innovate as long as the innovation is to their advantage,” Mr. Hasker said.

Edited by dtissagirl

That's been true for a long while. I remember back in the '90s hearing about Nielsen boxes that attached to people's TVs and measured what they were actually watching. The advertisers and TV industry HATED them because they showed that people were doing things like channel surfing and switching channels during commercials. Nielsen mostly went back to paper surveys after that. Which are, of course, just as awfully inaccurate as all self-reporting is known to be. Roseanne actually did a pretty funny episode about it, IIRC.

ETA: The article says that they now use tech to measure national channels, so they've improved on that front in the past 20-odd years at least.

Edited by Nostariel

For the love of everything, if you value your sanity, avoid watching the new Mountain Dew Kickstart commercial. Gahhhhhh. It's not only creepy (how high were they when they thought this up?), it comes packaged with an extremely malicious earworm. Brain bleach.....someone pass the brain bleach. *shudder*

Edited by Starfish35

That's been true for a long while. I remember back in the '90s hearing about Nielsen boxes that attached to people's TVs and measured what they were actually watching. The advertisers and TV industry HATED them because they showed that people were doing things like channel surfing and switching channels during commercials. Nielsen mostly went back to paper surveys after that. Which are, of course, just as awfully inaccurate as all self-reporting is known to be. Roseanne actually did a pretty funny episode about it, IIRC.

ETA: The article says that they now use tech to measure national channels, so they've improved on that front in the past 20-odd years at least.

My family was a Nielsen house in the mid 90s and we had all our TVs hooked up to computers. My mom agreed to it because my brother thought it would be cool but it wasn't, it was the most irritating 2 1/2 years ever. My father finally told them to pack up their gear and leave. The 2 a.m. download was ridiculously loud and annoying.

The people we had to answer to were rude and they were constantly asking us to fill out questionnaires which made no sense. We also found that during that time that the shows we liked were always cancelled so why go through the aggravation when the shows we liked were not renewed. 

• Love 1

Anyone else having problems with this site redirecting to spam sites?

Do any of you understand the appeal of Clexa? Because even after tonight's episode, I still don't get it...

Two hot chicks. For some that's all that's necessary.

I liked Lexa until she baldly betrayed her treaty.

Yeah, Sookie was beloved on Gilmore Girls (still my favorite Melissa M role.  She was a fully realized character and there were zero fat jokes.).  I wouldn't be surprised if it's a combo of the Gilmore Girl camp assuming she'd be too busy and the message not getting to the right people in a timely manner. 

Mike & Mollie was so so so so so so so (1000 more "so"s) bad. 

• Love 1

Do any of you understand the appeal of Clexa? Because even after tonight's episode, I still don't get it...

I really don't. But I'm all about Monty/Miller and that's completely fabricated in my head so I guess I can't judge.

In show I can see why the two would be attracted to each other. But in reality it is in no way a healthy relationship.

I haven't watched 302 or 303 yet, but I will say that I did see the appeal of Clexa last season but once the betrayal happened, I was off that ship for good, and I frankly see no way they could put them back together that would maintain character integrity or feel organic. I have...lots of concerns about that this season, actually, regarding many characters. It's bumming me out, and it's the reason I'm not caught up on what was my favorite show last year.

Spoilers for The 100 S2:

Clarke and Lexa developed an alliance between the Ark people and the Tricru (Lexa's clan) (and while they were working/traveling together, they became closer and things turned romantic). They were set to take Mount Weather together to save their people, but Lexa made a side deal with Mount Weather and left Clarke in the lurch. And it ended up being the wrong call because the Ark people ended up taking out Mount Weather anyway, but more people died than probably would have otherwise.

So... Today has been a really weird day for the board... I hope it's not like this for the rest of the season :p

A lot of people are really unhappy with the show right now.

I think the next episode is likely to be good, based on the pattern since 4.8 (8 bad, 9 good, 10 bad, 11 good, 12 bad...please note those are not my personal opinions, but more the seeming board consensus). So most people will be happy again.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 1

I'm watching the revival and am still undecided about whether I should get into the original show. I thought the most recent episode was a lot of fun. I'm mostly watching for Gillian Anderson though, but at least I have another series of The Fall to look forward to if I don't check out the early seasons of The X-Files.

• Love 1

About to watch the X-Files on Netflix. I'll see how this goes, I never got into it before. Of course if I like it it'll take me months to get through 10 seasons and movies.

Yeah. Good luck! I really hope you enjoy it. Even if you don't and you decide that The X-Files is just not your kind of show, I hope you watch, at least, a few of the episodes that are real gems (those ones that almost always end up on fan fave lists). The show really produced some spectacular hours of television, especially during the early seasons.

• Love 2

Okay 3 episodes in, it's making me want to watch Stargate but so far it is enjoyable. I do see the chemistry between Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny that made this show so popular. It's only been 3 eps and the sexual tension is strong in them. I also love seeing the 90's fashion style and the baby actors, baby grunge Seth Green!  and baby Donal Logue! 

That's it for now since it's almost time for the Superbowl. Go Broncos!

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

Skipped most of the game... Halftime show was very colorful but not that exciting. When they showed the clips of performances past, you could tell that this show was not going to be one people will remember years from now since I was more invested in the clips than the actual show. 

But I am really really happy & excited for Peyton Manning. I do love him. I'm glad he won. It allows him to retire now on a high note. Not that he has to retire, but he is not getting any younger and some of his recent injuries have been really serious. I would hate to see him permanently injured.

I got tired of waiting on Game Stop, so I ordered the Felicity Smoak Pop Funko off Amazon. I have Prime so I got it today. She's adorable. Now, I have to go to Game Stop and get a refund unless it miraculously comes in before I can make it there. For shame, Game Stop, for shame.

• Love 5

I made a list of personal favorites not so long ago for some friends who wanted a [super biased] primer, but it only encompasses the first 7 seasons. I didn't watch 8 and 9:

http://dtissagirl.tumblr.com/post/123201479940/so-you-wanna-watch-the-x-files

Dunno if it's any help for anyone, but there you go.

I actually just started watching The X-Files on Netflix as well (was having some serious FOMO with the reboot), and this is suuuper helpful. Thank you!

• Love 1

I made a list of personal favorites not so long ago for some friends who wanted a [super biased] primer, but it only encompasses the first 7 seasons. I didn't watch 8 and 9:

http://dtissagirl.tumblr.com/post/123201479940/so-you-wanna-watch-the-x-files

Dunno if it's any help for anyone, but there you go.

I love your list. It's like we share a brain--especially when I got to the point where you proclaimed "Pusher" as your favorite episode because YES. I recently rewatched it and it's still the single most intense episode of the entire series (not to mention spawned my intention to include as many random references to "Cerulean blue is a gentle breeze" as possible in everyday conversation, heh).

• Love 2

I got tired of waiting on Game Stop, so I ordered the Felicity Smoak Pop Funko off Amazon. I have Prime so I got it today. She's adorable. Now, I have to go to Game Stop and get a refund unless it miraculously comes in before I can make it there. For shame, Game Stop, for shame.

I went to Game Stop yesterday to get my refund.  I made sure to mention that it wasn't because I no longer wanted it, but because they hadn't gotten it in yet and I was getting it from Amazon. I bought an Oliver when I pre-ordered Felicity so at least they got something from me.  They certainly won't be the first place I stop at the next time I'm looking for something, though.

• Love 1

So I was a bit bored (and by bored I mean supposed to clean my apartment) so I decided to start watching Izombie.

I like it!

Also, Poppy is in the pilot episode, and she's doing better acting wise than on Arrow, she also has an accent.

I really enjoy iZombie. Don't remember Poppy at all.

• Love 1

So I was a bit bored (and by bored I mean supposed to clean my apartment) so I decided to start watching Izombie.

I like it!

Also, Poppy is in the pilot episode, and she's doing better acting wise than on Arrow, she also has an accent.

I don't remember her either. Was she one of the prostitutes?