Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

PTV has a political forum if anyone is interested.  I can't even talk about it, like I'm sitting at my work desk ready to cry, but in case anyone feels discussion might help, that's the link.

Thank you for posting that link. I forgot about it.

14 minutes ago, TwistedandBored said:

I didn't even drink last night and I feel like I am hangover. As a Muslim woman, I can't think of a worse birthday than this one. 

Happy birthday anyway! I hope you get to do something that makes the day better for you despite everything that's happening.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, TwistedandBored said:

I didn't even drink last night and I feel like I am hangover. As a Muslim woman, I can't think of a worse birthday than this one. 

I'm so sorry and Happy Belated Birthday.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, way2interested said:

Unpopular opinion: I am not upset or scared and will leave it at that. Is it possible to stop "not-talking" about politics, please?

I apologize for offending anyone. I'm deleting my post.

10 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I'm curious how hard is it for you guys in the States to move to Canada?

We Aussies don't need a visa to work or live in New Zealand!

Two completely different countries.  For example, the Canadian MD is not accepted in the US, nor the US one in Canada.

As a Canadian citizen, I think it would be easier for me to work in Australia than in the US.

2 hours ago, TwistedandBored said:

I'm sorry for that.  (Can you have some cake?)

I just heard Sam Bennett (female politician) on the radio saying that when things get tough, that when Americans do best.

So as rough as this week has been someone kinda spoiled Arrow for me on twitter,  but it's okay because 

Spoiler

I found out Lexa Doig is going to play Talia and I love her and 

It made me happy for the first time this week so I wanted to share that it was indeed Arrow that pulled me out of my funk . 

• Love 3

In a sucky week (including at work), I heard yesterday that Leonard Cohen has died.

By coincidence (or cosmic effect), I was listening to his album Various Positions in my car.  It's the one with Hallelujah and Dance Me To The End of Love but I've fallen in love with Coming Back To You.  So in honour of Arrow and Olicity for whom it seems fitting:

Maybe I'm still hurting
I can't turn the other cheek
But you know that I still love you
It's just that I can't speak
I looked for you in everyone
And they called me on that too
I lived alone but I was only
Coming back to you...

And they're handing down my sentence now
And I know what I must do
Another mile of silence while I'm
Coming back to you

• Love 2

I hate this TV year.

That's it, really.

But seriously, I'm tired of losing characters I care about, about stupid story lines that make me quit shows (yeah, goodbye, Supergirl and The Flash, and I'm about to say the same to Younger) or just generally lackluster writing. I didn't like any of the new shows as well (The Good Place started off well enough, actually, but I just lost interest somewhere around episode 5 or 6, and for some reason the idea of Chidi as a romantic interest doesn't appeal to me at all, although I'm tempted to get back to the show because Adam Scott... and speaking about love interest, I loved the premiere of Pitch and then I read the comments and everybody was shipping her with the mentor dude, and I was like PLZ NO). 

Jeez. I really want for Homeland to come back, and I was all but done with that show after the end of the previous season.

PS That was provoked by the news about CEG, which I'm SERIOUSLY upset about. That was my favorite show, and I understand everything, but I can't help but be crushed.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, FurryFury said:

That was provoked by the news about CEG, which I'm SERIOUSLY upset about. That was my favorite show, and I understand everything, but I can't help but be crushed.

It really sucks. But honestly I can't blame the actor. I don't remember, ldid they announce the S2 renewal of CEG later than the other shows?

Edited by looptab
1 hour ago, looptab said:

It really sucks. But honestly I can't blame the actor. I don't remember, did they announce the renewal of CEG later than the other shows?

I have a hard time believing Crazy Ex Girlfriend will manage a renewal, (especially with this new blow to the cast) so even though I'm bummed Greg is gone, there is still a lot I love about the show so I'm just going to try and enjoy it while it lasts and for once, give up on shipping Becca with anyone but her non crazy side.

3 hours ago, FurryFury said:

I hate this TV year.

That's it, really.

But seriously, I'm tired of losing characters I care about, about stupid story lines that make me quit shows (yeah, goodbye, Supergirl and The Flash, and I'm about to say the same to Younger)

You have me curious, what is bugging you about Younger this year?

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I have a hard time believing Crazy Ex Girlfriend will manage a renewal,

Sorry, I meant, did they announce the S2 renewal later than the other shows. Since apparently this happened because the actor had a 1 year contract and he booked other gigs before they heard about the renewal.

But yeah, I still love the show too. How they managed to turn Fontana's departure into growth for both Greg and Rebecca, that's real organic writing.

• Love 1

RE Pitch. If the show is going with a Ginny /Mike  relationship it's gonna take a long time to get there, and IMO thus far have steered away from it .  I can see why folks ship them because they have an easy chemistry. If they do  that won't happen until  Mike agrees to a trade or retires. The Padres aren't going to trade Ginny because at minimum she's bringing new folks to the ballpark. I don't think they will ever put them together when both are playing for the same team, unless the showrunners want to destroy their own premise which I don't think is the case.

Spoiler

Mike has a sexual relationship with her agent. They end their dalliance and its revealed he's still in love with his ex but his ex thinks it's just because he can't have her now that shes with someone else. And that could be the way they squelch ginny/mike if he is attracted to her. Make it that he wants what he can't have with Ginny more than him wanting her. Ginny has never shown attraction towards him but she is quite fond of him.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

You have me curious, what is bugging you about Younger this year?

It just... feels really static. I binged the previous seasons, though, so maybe it's always been like that, but I kinda expected more developments from this year. And I'm seriously tired of Josh. Either develop him or get rid of him, show. As it is, it just frustrates me to no end. He continues to be way too shallow for me to care about him or the romance.

1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

RE Pitch. If the show is going with a Ginny /Mike  relationship it's gonna take a long time to get there, and IMO thus far have steered away from it . 

Just the idea of that terrifies me too much to watch the show. I already wrote about my hatred for mentor/mentee romances, esp. with age difference.

I don't actually mind the idea of her dating somebody from the same team, it could be interesting. Just not Mike.

It just... feels really static. I binged the previous seasons, though, so maybe it's always been like that, but I kinda expected more developments from this year. And I'm seriously tired of Josh. Either develop him or get rid of him, show. As it is, it just frustrates me to no end. He continues to be way too shallow for me to care about him or the romance.

I think the show and the main character are a little too comfortable right now.  After teasing some big changes at the end of last season, it's kind of disappointing that most everything just went back to the status quo, though at least I'm pretty sure they are working back up to those big changes (at least some of them).  

I agree with you about Josh.  He never felt like he was supposed to stick around this long.  That said, I'm pretty sure he's on his way out, though with how shows like to do cliffhangers, they might not officially send him off til the start of next season, lol.  (Planting that in your head was kind of mean of me)   

I'm still enjoying the show a lot though.  It's my weekly after Arrow pick me up and the half hour ALWAYS goes too fast.  

Edited by BkWurm1
12 minutes ago, FurryFury said:

st the idea of that terrifies me too much to watch the show. I already wrote about my hatred for mentor/mentee romances, esp. with age difference

Honestly, IMO, that's not a thing they have shown thus far.  IMO they have a teammate/friend thing happening. I don't get any UST out of it myself, and I can find UST between a rock and Dean Winchester. LOL. I'm pretty shameless about my shipping.  But in the case of Pitch, I truly don't see it. And I think the show will be shooting itself in the foot if they go there.

Just now, catrox14 said:

Honestly, IMO, that's not a thing they have shown thus far.  IMO they have a teammate/friend thing happening. I don't get any UST out of it myself, and I can find UST between a rock and Dean Winchester. LOL. I'm pretty shameless about my shipping.  But in the case of Pitch, I truly don't see it. And I think the show will be shooting itself in the foot if they go there.

I agree they would only consider going there waaaay down the road and even that's a long shot since that's not how they're being written.  

• Love 1

I've seen a lot of examples of shipping influencing writing (and some did make for better shows - but not every time), so I'm just too afraid of investing into something only to be crushed yet again. I mean, I still hurt after Bates Motel killed off Norma last season, and I *knew* she was supposed to die from the very beginning (and yeah, there was shipping involved there as well. The shot of Romero cradling her dead body just killed me).

I'm starting to think I should only binge shows while being spoiled on most major developments, lol.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, FurryFury said:

I'm starting to think I should only binge shows while being spoiled on most major developments, lol.

I see the logic but I just realized I've never watched a show that was already off the air or even started one when it was deep into it's series.  Either I'm there from the near beginning or I'm never there. 

Edited to add:  That's not entirely true, I tried to watch the first season of Tru Blood before it's last season but spoilers about the final season made me stop watching.  

Edited by BkWurm1

It's the opposite for me - pretty sure I binged all of my absolute favorites :) Although for Veronica Mars, I was around when the movie happened, but that's it. I also drop shows all. the. time, even last season or 3 episodes before the series finale, even if I really loved them at some point. It's weird. And then there's shipping, which is a huge factor - lately, I tend to ship pairings that aren't very popular or too telegraphed so I inevitably get disappointed (although I mostly anti-ship these days... only to get disappointed as well, naturally).

5 minutes ago, FurryFury said:

I've seen a lot of examples of shipping influencing writing (and some did make for better shows - but not every time), so I'm just too afraid of investing into something only to be crushed yet again.

I understand that fear.  The difference here IMO is that there are too many factors against that particular romance happening until the end of the show.  Fox Sports, The Padres org and the MLB itself have a vested interest in this succeeding. It's not being sold as a romance even though there is some sex and romance in the show, but the show is staying pretty true to being about a baseball team and the struggles a female pitcher will face trying to succeed in this world. I will my Rockies cap if they really pair her with her mentor and friend. 

Unless this is all just a bait and switch to sell us a love story which hoooo boy that would piss off just about every viewing demographic other than Ginny/Mike shippers. 

14 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I see the logic but I just realized I've never watched a show that was already off the air or even started one when it was deep into it's series.  Either I'm there from the near beginning or I'm never there

I got into Supernatural as a binge watch with another blog. I was 100% against SPN and had all the animosity towards it because it was replacing my Beloved Angel. I was a bitter, bitter Angel girl and thought "Oh these two hot guys who probably can't even act are replacing MY ANGEL and my Wesley.  DIE PRETTY BOYS DIE.

My first glimpse of SPN was after the Arrow pilot which I was on DVR delay. When Arrow ended, it dropped me back to regular TV, into the middle of  Supernatural Episode 8.2 with Dean and Castiel reunion.  I kid you not, my curiosity was piqued because I was like, well this is pretty progressive because I quite seriously thought they were boyfriends who had been separated for a long ass time.  But then I didn't watch another episode for many reasons until this other blog started watching it and then I was done for.  Blew through 8 seasons in like two months in 2013 and started watching SPN live with s9. 

Unfortunately I can't watch SPN because female characters are usually the most important draw to me.

I too dropped Tru Blood before the last season, and after learning how it ended, I was glad I did. I also had the good fortune to put off watching the last 3 or 4 episodes of HIMYM, although simply learning about THAT ending still hurt like whoa.

38 minutes ago, FurryFury said:

Unfortunately I can't watch SPN because female characters are usually the most important draw to me

I wasn't trying to advocate for you to watch SPN, just relating my binge watching experience.  Back to PITCH, I think you might be okay giving it a shot past the pilot.

Edited by catrox14

@FurryFury , can I recommend 12 monekys? It is really good, has one OTP and great female presence. I recently finished Person of interest, and without any doubt I can say POI is one of the best show currently for me. Ending was so perfect, I cried. In short, very well executed show.

• Love 1

I do watch 12 Monkeys, but I'm disappointed in s2. s1 was pretty much perfect, though. I really shipped Cole and Cassie, but I just didn't care for them in s2 as much as I used to.

As for PoI, that's actually one of the shows I've dropped 3 episodes before the series finale :) It had a great s3, but since s4, has been gradually declining. Kinda like Fringe, which I also couldn't finish.

I wasn't trying to advocate for you to watch SPN, just relating my binge watching experience.  Back to PITCH, I think you might be okay giving it a shot past the pilot.

All right, I'll give it a shot. 

Edited by FurryFury
5 minutes ago, FurryFury said:

I do watch 12 Monkeys, but I'm disappointed in s2. s1 was pretty much perfect, though. I really shipped Cole and Cassie, but I just didn't care for them in s2 as much as I used to.

As for PoI, that's actually one of the shows I've dropped 3 episodes before the series finale :) It had a great s3, but since s4, has been gradually declining. Kinda like Fringe, which I also couldn't finish.

Yeah, I feel you. Fringe was my THE SHOW then season 4 happened, and all went down... at least I will always have Violet Sedan Chair :)

Edited by Lidach

Oh yes, Fringe and PoI are REALLY similar when it comes to quality between seasons, slow and boring s1, then s2 happens, and it gradually becomes better and better. In s3, it's your favorite and you can't wait for the next episode... then s4, and it feels like a reboot and you're starting to get bored to death. I didn't get to s5 Fringe (losing AltLincoln hurt too much), but in PoI, I just yawned through much of it and dropped after my favorite character got killed (even if I figured they'd be resurrected in another way eventually... probably).

For any Dr. Who fans, I'd recommend giving Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective a try.  It's not Dr. Who (nothing is) but it has the same fast paced, insane, madcap, kind a sci-fi, confusing (in a good way) vibe.  It's the oddest, most amusing mystery I've seen in a long time.  First episode was a bit violent but that seems to be not a regular thing (or not as much)  To get a real good feel of it, I'd recommend watching the first two episodes since the second one makes the first one make sooo much more sense.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

I'm up to the 100th episode of Gilmore Girls, the one in which Emily and Richard renewed their vows. Now, I've said that I'd forgotten how terrible they were in the early years, but I don't think that's it, I think it's more a matter of being swept up by the actors' charisma and acting chops. Originally, I thought Lorelai was often childish and holding grudges for too long, which disallowed them to fix their relationship. Now, I think they deserved everything she served them, and tenfold. Emily is particularly bad. Granted, I am fresh off her butting into Lorelai and Luke's relationship, but the constant one upmanship over Rory makes her in particular seem like Lorelai's ex with a grudge who's trying to get back at her through their kid. Any childishness Lorelai has demonstrated over the, years, I'm sure she learnt from her mother.

Also, this is the beginning of Rory and Logan which is also worse than I remember. I forgot she was the pursuer. I have nothing against that in general, but there was nothing about him that made him worth pursuing. Terrible taste, Rory.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I understand that fear.  The difference here IMO is that there are too many factors against that particular romance happening until the end of the show.  Fox Sports, The Padres org and the MLB itself have a vested interest in this succeeding. It's not being sold as a romance even though there is some sex and romance in the show, but the show is staying pretty true to being about a baseball team and the struggles a female pitcher will face trying to succeed in this world. I will my Rockies cap if they really pair her with her mentor and friend. 

Unless this is all just a bait and switch to sell us a love story which hoooo boy that would piss off just about every viewing demographic other than Ginny/Mike shippers. 

Yeah, their closeness is just the show showing the relationship the Catcher has with Pitchers.  The Catcher is usually close with every Pitcher on the team, because they've got to know the Pitcher's tendencies, what the Pitcher likes, how far the Pitcher can go, and they're the 2 that control the game.  Lawson has that relationship with every Pitcher on the team, it's just that this is about Ginny, so she's the only one we see.  Hell, he has that relationship with the entire team, they've made it clear he's the unquestioned leader, and he's going into the Hall of Fame.  You don't get to that spot without having that relationship with every Pitcher.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I just love Matt Czuchry *sigh*

Now if that had gotten him as Felicity’s boyfriend I would have swooned.

Agree to disagree.  Yes, he has his charm but I can't mix my shows like that.  Rory and Felicity are not allowed to date the same people.  

I believe a Ginny/Mike romantic relationship is possible simply because the EPs and cast members talk about Ginny/Mike as a romantic possibility in interviews. That being said I think it will be a slow burn type thing like Luke/Lorelai takes seasons to get there. And to be honest I'll enjoy the pairing either direction they choose to go. 

That is if Pitch gets past cancellation. I'm worried by their ratings recently and their has been no news of a pick up yet. 

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 2

Interesting articles...

Networks Rethink Midseason Hiatus Plans After Last Year's Ratings Collapse 
Can shorter breaks and big cliff-hangers stave off audience erosion? 

By Jason Lynch November 14, 2016, 7:57 PM EST
http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/networks-rethink-midseason-hiatus-plans-after-last-year-s-ratings-collapse-174570

14 TV shows you're watching that are probably going to be canceled
Jethro Nededog Nov. 11, 2016, 9:50 AM     
http://www.businessinsider.com/tv-shows-that-are-getting-canceled-2016-11/#notorious-abc-2

• Love 2