Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to turn this into a support group for sad people, but in the spirit of solidarity, I suddenly have overwhelming sobs wracking my body.  I think it's some weird reaction to the giant hole left by the lack of a new Flash episode tonight. It must be.

• Love 12

Barry fucked up EVERYTHING.

3 minutes ago, EmeraldArcher said:

Not to turn this into a support group for sad people, but in the spirit of solidarity, I suddenly have overwhelming sobs wracking my body.  I think it's some weird reaction to the giant hole left by the lack of a new Flash episode tonight. It must be.

I can't even cry. I'm horrified.

• Love 16
7 minutes ago, EmeraldArcher said:

I know you are joking but i was actually just sitting here wondering if viewership for these shows might go up as people seek escapism even harder...followed by the depressing realization that Arrow currently isn't offering me anything I want to escape into.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 10
6 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Followed by the depressing realization that Arrow currently isn't offering me anything I want to escape into.  

Yeah. It would've been really nice to have a bit of escapism left with the show, but feeling down about it in addition to the real world stuff...no thanks, haha. 

• Love 15
9 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Barry fucked up EVERYTHING.

I can't even cry. I'm horrified.

Fuck you, Barry Allen! I have never felt this hopeless in my entire life.

7 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I know you are joking but i was actually just sitting here wondering if viewership for these shows might go up as people seek escapism even harder...followed by the depressing realization that Arrow currently isn't offering me anything I want to escape into.  

Yeah, for me, Arrow (on screen and BTS) reflects everything I feel about the real world right now.

• Love 5

Is it any solace that MG can't believe what's happening either?

Escapism goes up in times of trouble (see Sullivan's Travels).  At least we have that.  Also, I am amused by David Frum trying to explain how this will all work out.

56 minutes ago, doesntworkonwood said:

It's 5am in the UK and I've been awake all this time. I thought you guys would be done by now.

People feel they are done, that's what the feels are about.

• Love 2

But Arrow will be a nice escape because it has Felicity, a supersmart person who has dedicated her life to making her city better, and her accomplishments are appreciated despite not being male or part of the superhero old boys club.

Oh, wait.

• Love 18
7 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

People feel they are done, that's what the feels are about.

I meant that the election would be called. Last GE Obama was proclaimed winner at ~04:30 UK time. It's past 6 here now, and it doesn't look like anything else is going to be called soon. Our commentators have ran out of things to say, they just keep saying the same things over and over again. 

I dropped House after a few seasons but since you guys keep bringing it up I googled out of curiosity!

Yikes! If you were a Chase/Cameron shipper YIKES

Are there any shows that end well? From what I've seen and heard Dexter, House, HIMYM even Chuck had dubious endings.  Maybe we shouldn't feel so bad about Arrow since most shows end badly!

I'm going to keep talking about TV because the world is too scarey for me to face, especially with a 3yo whose future I worry about. 

• Love 2

What I wouldn't give to have an Arrow S2 situation right now. Something distracting and entertaining and satisfying. As it stands, I feel much less inclined to give this show more time and chances. That goes for any show whose thesis seems to be "withhold the things people like." Today? And for the foreseeable future? I need you to just give me those things or, at the very least, earn my trust that you will return them if you take them away.

• Love 11

Maybe we shouldn't feel so bad about Arrow since most shows end badly!

I'm going to keep talking about TV because the world is too scarey for me to face, especially with a 3yo whose future I worry about. 

I think there is a difference between shows ending badly (Merlin, HIMYM, Dexter,) and shows that have iffy or meh endings like Castle, Smallville or Chuck or shows that ended mostly good like Gilmore Girls, Haven or Stargate SG-1.  I would have liked a better written ending for Castle but they made sure to let the fans know the future for the characters they cared about was good.  Pretty much the same for Chuck and Haven and Stargate.  There are only a handful of shows that I think ended wonderfully but there are also only a handful that I think ended horribly.  All I'm shooting for is not terrible and that's not so much to ask.  

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, doesntworkonwood said:

I meant that the election would be called. Last GE Obama was proclaimed winner at ~04:30 UK time. It's past 6 here now, and it doesn't look like anything else is going to be called soon. Our commentators have ran out of things to say, they just keep saying the same things over and over again. 

I'm waiting to hear what Monocle radio has to say tomorrow.  Andrew Muller is hilarious.

I think it's taking extra long because of how the Electoral College works.  Unlike the UK, Canada and I think Australia, it's not that the winning MP gets the most votes and the party with the most seats elects the prime minister.  In the US, each state selects which candidate and then all the votes for that state go to the candidate, independent of the voting for the Senate or Congress.

21 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I dropped House after a few seasons but since you guys keep bringing it up I googled out of curiosity!

Yikes! If you were a Chase/Cameron shipper YIKES

Are there any shows that end well? From what I've seen and heard Dexter, House, HIMYM even Chuck had dubious endings.  Maybe we shouldn't feel so bad about Arrow since most shows end badly!

I thought Stargate SG1 ended well.  Babylon 5, although that was planned for the 5 year arc.  ER ended well enough although there were some bad roads to get there.  Farscape although it took a movie to do it.

Castle was good till the last season, but as Bkwrum1 said, at least they wrapped it up well.

I liked Cameron so I was never a Chase/Cameron shipper.  Chase fans liked it because he wanted her and he got her.  As a Cameron fan, I hated how every time she wanted to pull back or just go slow, he said "either you do what I want or it's over" and as Cameron had abandonment issues, every time she gave in.  (For 3 seasons I wrote House/Cameron fanfic. Then I regretted it.)

• Love 2

Is it any solace that MG can't believe what's happening either?

I actually found myself getting furious at him since while there's not a thing he can do to change what's going on now in politics, he IS in charge of what's on his show and I can't help hold him even more accountable for the creeping misogyny on Arrow.  

• Love 9
1 minute ago, statsgirl said:

(For 3 seasons I wrote House/Cameron fanfic. Then I regretted it.)

Oh you poor thing! So you're well prepared for things going south then!

HIMYM was the most upsetting ending ever for me and I wasn't even a shipper! 

• Love 1
Just now, Mellowyellow said:

Oh you poor thing! So you're well prepared for things going south then!

HIMYM was the most upsetting ending ever for me and I wasn't even a shipper! 

Yeah, I barely watched 20 episodes the entire series run and I even recognized how f'd up the ending was.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, EmeraldArcher said:

On Smackdown, Becky Lynch vs Alexa Bliss was a really good match.  I got nothing else for Tuesday.

I have an unpopular House opinion: I wasn't a big Cameron fan. I couldn't figure out what made her so special. Same with Foreman. I think he and Cameron were supposed to be the special ducklings (pun intended) and Chase the odd one out. I thought Chase was the best of them. That being said as a group, I so preferred them to the nuHouse cast. They had better chemistry. I couldn't stand 13 or the others for that matter.

• Love 2

HIMYM is this decades Worst Ending Ever.  I think it took the prize from St. Elsewhere.

I think House was the only time the ship I boarded ended up not being the canon ship, and I blame that on Bryan Singer leaving the show.  I can pinpoint the exact time the direction started to change (the Christmas episode in season 3) and from then on, Cuddy become the love interest and Cameron and to a lesser extent Chase was minimized.  The original script for One Day, One Room had storylines for House and Cameron each balanced timewise between the two.  When it aired, Cameron's had been cut to three short scenes.

ETA:

. Same with Foreman. I think he and Cameron were supposed to be the special ducklings (pun intended) and Chase the odd one out.

Originally, each of the three were supposed to be balanced each with a characteristic like House.  Chase had House's brilliance in medicine, Cameron never gave up until she found the right diagnosis, and Foreman was snarky and rude.

Then Shore fell in love with House's rudeness and lack of caring unless he got something out of it.  But in the end, it was Chase who turned into nuHouse.

I liked Cameron because like Wilson, she actually cared about the patients as people. None of the others did.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I have an unpopular House opinion: I wasn't a big Cameron fan. I couldn't figure out what made her so special. Same with Foreman. I think he and Cameron were supposed to be the special ducklings (pun intended) and Chase the odd one out. I thought Chase was the best of them. That being said as a group, I so preferred them to the nuHouse cast. They had better chemistry. I couldn't stand 13 or the others for that matter.

Another unpopular opinion, I hated House from the start.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, BkWurm1 said:

Another unpopular opinion, I hated House from the start.  

It made me afraid of ham. One of the first episodes I watched a patient got a host of bad symptoms that made her super sick from eating some ham. That's always stayed with me! I still eat ham and pork but I have developed an irrational suspicion of pork to this day! 

1 hour ago, Carrie Ann said:

What I wouldn't give to have an Arrow S2 situation right now. Something distracting and entertaining and satisfying. As it stands, I feel much less inclined to give this show more time and chances. That goes for any show whose thesis seems to be "withhold the things people like." Today? And for the foreseeable future? I need you to just give me those things or, at the very least, earn my trust that you will return them if you take them away.

I know for sure I won't be watching until after episode 9. Because right now everything sounds bleak and just not entertaining. I'll only tune in once I hear good Olicity/OTA/Felicity/Delicity news. But I feel like those days are behind us... Which is sad. Because I need to be cheered up tbh

And fuck the writers and Guggenheim for telling people that we take the show too seriously. Today is a good reason why we need shows to help us escape the harsh reality. That's why we take it seriously. Because we care about where we escape to. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 17

Guggenheim being surprised that a misogynistic white male defeated the woman candidate with the real brains makes me laugh. I wonder where that could come from?  Athis point all his females characters on Arrow do nothing but serve the male ones.

• Love 18
5 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

And fuck the writers and Guggenheim for telling people that we take the show seriously. Today is a good reason why we need shows to help us escape the harsh reality. That's why we take it seriously. Because we care about where we escape to. 

I so badly want him spammed with this.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

I'm curious how hard is it for you guys in the States to move to Canada?

We Aussies don't need a visa to work or live in New Zealand!i

Being dead serious here, my Paternal grandparents are from Portugal. While dealing with some legal aspects of my father's death I had to go to the Portugese consulate. They offered me Portuguese citizenship, apparently Portugal considers you one of theirs up to 2 generations born outside the country.

As of about 2 AM ET I am seriously considering going to the Consulate and requesting they start the process. This would put me in the EU and make it easier to get a job in Ireland (I only speak English ?)

To answer the Canada question, they've made it easier to become a citizen. The problem would probably be in getting a work visa (I think you need that).

Interestingly enough housing in Vancouver is comparable to NJ but, looking at job equivalents I make way more her and pay less taxes

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

Funny you should be talking about House. My sister called to tell me the latest with my 6 1/2 year old niece. Her teacher sent her an email saying that my niece was having a problem with her legs, my niece said they were twitching badly. My sister had to send back an email telling the teacher that she has been watching House on Netflix and that was the symptom of the week. She told me she was dying of embarrassment. I just couldn't stop laughing.

• Love 9

I'm just utterly heartbroken and frankly a little scared. As a female, I'm beginning to wonder if I have a place anywhere? TV seems to not be a safe place. The real world is becoming shakier by the second. I feel like decades of social progress are on the line and no amount of gifs or memes is going to help ease this pain. I tried listening to Hamilton, and it didn't help. It only reminded me of that is at stake. Is it time for the sequel yet?

Also remind me to never work an overnight on this night again. There is just too much stress.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 14