Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is kinda funny to me - but no, Canary is not a superhero show...

ABC Buys Whistleblower Drama ‘Canary’ From Zack Estrin
by Nellie Andreeva • September 10, 2015 3:47pm
http://deadline.com/2015/09/canary-whistleblower-drama-zack-estrin-abc-1201519933/

Described as “Homeland meets Erin Brockovich,” Canary follows a woman who risks everything to help a whistleblower come forward with secret information that will impact the lives of millions. Estrin will write the script and will executive produce with Nick Hamm and Sabrina Eisenstadt of Momentum, the company behind DirecTV series Rogue and Full Circle.
Edited by tv echo

I know some are upset that EBR lost to Caitrona Balfe in the Girl on Top Poll but I like that in honor of her win CB is donating to three charities. World Child Cancer, Unicef and Red Cross International. 

http://www.eonline.com/news/694729/outlander-s-caitriona-balfe-thanks-fans-for-her-girl-on-top-win-with-charity-remains-the-most-perfect-human

That's pretty upstanding. She was even tweeting during the event to bring attention to the European Refugee Crisis. That's classy. It's nice to see people using their celebrity for good.

Can I just say here how much I appreciate reading everyone's ideas and theories and criticisms for season 4 of Arrow? It's giving me some much needed fun distraction on a day that has a lot of bad memories for me. So, in all sincerity, thank you very much.

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled Spoiler Discussion thread! Speculate on!

Glad it could help. :) Distraction is good. Entertainment can help people cope & move forward. It also does sorta put everything in perspective in many ways. I know its been 14yrs, but some those memories & emotions still linger. Hopefully time will heal. But I often found Rose Kennedy's quote perhaps that most poetic and accurate statement.

“It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.” ~ Rose Kennedy

• Love 7

A lot off topic.....

I was going back through really old posts on here from 2013 and 2014--occasionally my clumsy fingers hit the wrong page number on my iPad. Anyway, I'm still relatively new here, having only joined in May of this year.

I was a little surprised to see so many familiar names posting so regularly even back then (truly, I have found my people!), but also intrigued by some very active posters who are no longer around (e.g., GirlWednesday). Do you know what happened to some of the folks with whom you spent so much time discussing a shared passion? I mean, not specifically what happened to individual users because that isn't any of my business--but rather, do people say goodbye when they decide to stop posting? Have they gotten too busy or given up on the show? Do some of them, like the user formerly known as @dancingnancy, simply change their usernames (she explained the reason for the change and is still here)?

When you're ready to move on to other ways of spending time, do you think you'll say goodbye or simply slip away into anonymous Internet oblivion?

Just curious.

Shailene Woodley's doing pretty well. I think some people have mentioned Michelle Williams.

Anne Hathaway started out on television in a show called Get Real. Kate Bosworth was in Young Americans.

Secret Life of the American Teenager either did not showcase Shailene Woodley's talent or people are using Kristen Stewart as a measuring stick because SW was NOT good on Secret Life, like so bad as to be painful IMO.  

I just don't understand Bradley Cooper's success at all. Alias and Guardians of the Galaxy are the only things I have ever liked him in. Limitless might be the worst movie I have ever paid to see, and I went to the cinema to see Date Movie! (Damn you Alyson Hannigan, please come back to drama). 

Chris Pratt was in Guardians, FYI, not Bradley Cooper.  I loved him in ALIAS but honestly haven't really liked him in anything since.  The Hangover made him a star but eh, I liked him best as Will, Sydney's friend that had a crush on her.  

Before both of those shows, Michael B Jordan was on All My Children. (Don't judge me!) Believe it or not, he played a character alongside Amanda Seyfried. That casting director was on the freakin' ball.

Ah!  Amanda Seyfried was on Veronica Mars so she counts and actually, Kristen Bell has done pretty well too (not great but she's considered a film actress)

When we start listing off the names I was surprised how common starting in TV and shifting to movies has become.  It's still a small number next to all the actors out there but only a small percentage ever make it "big" no matter where they are coming from. 

Do you know what happened to some of the folks with whom you spent so much time discussing a shared passion? I mean, not specifically what happened to individual users because that isn't any of my business--but rather, do people say goodbye when they decide to stop posting? Have they gotten too busy or given up on the show?

I think a lot just get busy any so it's not a big goodbye, just a fade away.  That said, I think a lot of posters go away during the hiatus and revive during the season.  A few have quit the show and state their goodbyes but lol, my favorite is when they quit the show but just can't quit the forum.  We are an addicting bunch.  :D

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

Chris Pratt was in Guardians, FYI, not Bradley Cooper.  I loved him in ALIAS but honestly haven't really liked him in anything since.  The Hangover made him a star but eh, I liked him best as Will, Sydney's friend that had a crush on her.  

Actually, Bradley Cooper voiced Rocket, the raccoon in Guardians. I'm with you though, he will always be Will Tippin to me.

Jason Bateman is another example that comes to mind, as well as lot of the guys from Freaks and Geeks - James Franco, Seth Rogen, Jason Segel.

Edited by Coop33
  • Love 1

Actually, Bradley Cooper voiced Rocket, the raccoon in Guardians. I'm with you though, he will always be Will Tippin to me.

Ha!  That's right.  Chris Pratt had been brought up so I thought  there was a name typo.  And voice acting, while a skill in it's own right, doesn't often make stars out of people. 

• Love 1

spoiler alert for the USOpen.

/stunned

#Serena still GOAT

Total, total, shocker! But she lost to a hilarious woman :p 

Looking forward to the Federer Vs Djokovic final (I'm actually going to be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I'm really really really pulling for Federer to get his 18th grand slam title. 

• Love 2

Total, total, shocker! But she lost to a hilarious woman :p 

Looking forward to the Federer Vs Djokovic final (I'm actually going to be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I'm really really really pulling for Federer to get his 18th grand slam title. 

Wait, what. YOU'RE GOING?  I can't even tell you my tennis envy is off the charts right now. I want to go the US OPEN like I can't even tell you. I played tennis competitvely back in the day.  It's my sport.  GAH....I did meet Billie Jean King at a tournament I played in once here in San Diego.  It was a city league.

• Love 1

Wait, what. YOU'RE GOING?  I can't even tell you my tennis envy is off the charts right now. I want to go the US OPEN like I can't even tell you. I played tennis competitvely back in the day.  It's my sport.  GAH....I did meet Billie Jean King at a tournament I played in once here in San Diego.  It was a city league.

OH MY GOD HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS!? Wow that's so awesome! :')

I've been following Roger Federer's career for about 10 years. He's the reason I got into watching the sport. Other than that, I played for a little bit when I was young, but nothing competitive. 

And yes! I'm going to be there for the finals! :D I'm really excited. Was kind of bummed today because the matches were pretty standard. Was expecting more from Wawrinka but he didn't play his best and I think he pretty much gave up after the second half of the second set. 

Who are you going for? :) I'm not too excited to watch the women's finals this year. I'm not familiar with any of the players playing which sucks. 

• Love 1

Wait, what. YOU'RE GOING? I can't even tell you my tennis envy is off the charts right now. I want to go the US OPEN like I can't even tell you. I played tennis competitvely back in the day. It's my sport. GAH....I did meet Billie Jean King at a tournament I played in once here in San Diego. It was a city league.

Another tennis lover here. I was Varsity in high school but have played only casually since then. Years ago, the Federation Cup was held at my athletic club and for some inexplicable reason, members were allowed all-access, so I got to hang out in the locker room with the players, including Chris Evert (John Lloyd was drop dead gorgeous in person), Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King, Evonne Goolagong, Hana Mandlikova, Hu Na, and I even got to hit with Virginia Wade.

Have a great time at the finals, wonderwall! My sister was at the women's semi-final today :( but she wasn't able to get tix for the men's. The last Open I made it to was in 2012 when Andy Murray beat Djokovic and it was pretty special being there. My friends and I are planning to go to the French Open in June. It's the only Grand Slam tournament I haven't attended so it'll be nice to check it off my bucket list.

And I'm with you, wonderwall. Federer FTW!

[edited because finals and semi-finals are NOT the same thing!]

Edited by dcinmb
  • Love 1

It's so exciting to see some Tennis fans on here!!!!!!!! :D 

Damn dcinmb! That's really impressive! I bet hanging out with those players was just the most amazing experience ever. 

AND YES FEDERER FTW! :D God I'm so nervous. I want him to win because he's 34 and he's playing so well. I was crushed when he lost Wimbledon. I'm hoping to actually go to the Wimbledon final next year, so hopefully I can get tickets :D

It's so exciting to see some Tennis fans on here!!!!!!!! :D

Damn dcinmb! That's really impressive! I bet hanging out with those players was just the most amazing experience ever.

It was pretty incredible. I was just a teenager so I was definitely starstruck. And luckily, it seems that most of the Fed Cup attendees weren't members because there weren't a lot of "civilians" in the locker room. Most of the players were friendly and down-to-earth, with the exception of Chris Evert, who was polite but a bit standoffish, and Martina Navratilova, who was brusque and didn't really socialize with the other players. It was definitely a trip seeing all these legends in various states of undress in the sauna, steam room, everywhere!

• Love 1

Secret Life of the American Teenager either did not showcase Shailene Woodley's talent or people are using Kristen Stewart as a measuring stick because SW was NOT good on Secret Life, like so bad as to be painful IMO.  

I meant Cooper's voice over performance as Rocket. So funny. Those kind of things usually don't stand out to me, but I was kind of dreading it a little since I hadn't liked Cooper since Alias, so I was pleasantly surprised.

And...I'm glad Kristen Stewart's latest performances have been convincing people of what I've thought for ages; that she's a really good actress and that Bella Swan was just not something anyone could have saved. Stewart was so natural in Clouds of Sils Maria and her chemistry with Juliette Binoche was so easy going and fun. Love her in Adventureland, The Runaways, and her new movie American Ultra, which really should be making more money. 

I like Shailene Woodley a lot, but the one time I watched her ABC Family show her character was supposedly crying on a bench but there was no moisture in her eyes. It was weird, particularly since she is such a good crier in her movies, like...even underwater in The Descendants so I don't know what happened there or if I'm remembering the scene wrong, but either way it was awful.

When you're ready to move on to other ways of spending time, do you think you'll say goodbye or simply slip away into anonymous Internet oblivion?

I have stopped regularly visiting some other show forums here for any of the following reasons:

1. The show went on hiatus and I'm not interested enough to stay invested during the break.
  2. I still watch the show but am not interested enough to keep up online via a fan forum.
  3. I lost interest in the show, period (for no particular reason).
  4. The show did something that was a 'deal-breaker' for me and I stopped watching it.
  5. I still watch the show but found the forum's environment too hostile, contentious or stress-inducing to me.

For Arrow, I think I'd stop coming to this forum for reasons 4 or 5.  Most likely, I'd post a note in the Small Talk thread first.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

I was a little surprised to see so many familiar names posting so regularly even back then (truly, I have found my people!), but also intrigued by some very active posters who are no longer around (e.g., GirlWednesday). Do you know what happened to some of the folks with whom you spent so much time discussing a shared passion? I mean, not specifically what happened to individual users because that isn't any of my business--but rather, do people say goodbye when they decide to stop posting? Have they gotten too busy or given up on the show? Do some of them, like the user formerly known as @dancingnancy, simply change their usernames (she explained the reason for the change and is still here)?

Just curious.

We've had a few folks in the past who posted saying they were quitting the show, but I think the majority of people who stopped posting just did that with no fanfare. I think especially in boards like this were most people are fairly anonymous, it ends up being the norm.

But a long time ago, I once had to post a notice that I was quitting, because I used to moderate a fairly large discussion board, and I stopped enjoying the show. So I had to reach out to people to ask if they wanted the mod gig, and then I had to announce I was leaving... it was awkward as hell. The main lesson I learned was never ever ever be the mod of a discussion for a show you love, because if you suddenly start hating it, it's the worst. Hee.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 2

My love for the show has gone down but I really like reading the opinions of people who post here, which is why I have stuck around even though I'm not so hot on Arrow as a whole at the minute, even though there are still parts I like. I'm at the point where I have to skim anything even related to Olicity though. 

• Love 1

We'd be very boring without you so never leave! You bring the news and the spoilers!!

I have stopped regularly visiting some other show forums here for any of the following reasons:

• The show went on hiatus and I'm not interested enough to stay invested during the break.
  • I still watch the show but am not interested enough to keep up online via a fan forum.
  • I lost interest in the show, period (for no particular reason).
  • The show did something that was a 'deal-breaker' for me and I stopped watching it.
  • I still watch the show but found the forum's environment too hostile, contentious or stress-inducing to me.
For Arrow, I think I'd stop coming to this forum for reasons 4 or 5. Most likely, I'd post a note in the Small Talk thread first.
Edited by tarotx
  • Love 3

And...I'm glad Kristen Stewart's latest performances have been convincing people of what I've thought for ages; that she's a really good actress and that Bella Swan was just not something anyone could have saved. Stewart was so natural in Clouds of Sils Maria and her chemistry with Juliette Binoche was so easy going and fun. Love her in Adventureland, The Runaways, and her new movie American Ultra, which really should be making more money.

I think Kristen Stewart can be hit or miss when it comes to her acting. I do think she has some talent. But unless she is interested in the project, her performance suffers. She's not even one of those lucky actors that can just phone it in. Her lack of interest shows. Bella Swan truly was a miserable character in book & on film that could not be saved. I think KS was invested in the 1st movie which is why she was decent in it, but the rest of the movies her performance was so horrible. I think she needs to make good choices when she chooses roles, there are some that work for her talents & some that she should avoid like Snow White &The Huntsman. I think she does better in indie or arthouse flicks because they mesh with her acting vibe.

I liked her in Still Alice, which is an absolutely heartbreaking & beautiful film, highly recommend it - but bring tissues. Early Onset Alzheimer's is something that definitely needs more research funding & attention brought to it, as its a ravaging disease that causes so much damage to so many people with truly no treatment options.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

I've noticed that the episode discussions bring in more posters. The other threads tend to bring in 'regulars.'

I made note of a few posters when I was getting into the fandom and reading past discussion that I'm disappointed don't seem to post anymore. But I get it.

• Love 2

I think Kristen Stewart can be hit or miss when it comes to her acting. I do think she has some talent. But unless she is interested in the project, her performance suffers. She's not even one of those lucky actors that can just phone it in. Her lack of interest shows. Bella Swan truly was a miserable character in book & on film that could not be saved. I think KS was invested in the 1st movie which is why she was decent in it, but the rest of the movies her performance was so horrible. I think she needs to make good choices when she chooses roles, there are some that work for her talents & some that she should avoid like Snow White &The Huntsman. I think she does better in indie or arthouse flicks because they mesh with her acting vibe.

I liked her in Still Alice, which is an absolutely heartbreaking & beautiful film, highly recommend it - but bring tissues. Early Onset Alzheimer's is something that definitely needs more research funding & attention brought to it, as its a ravaging disease that causes so much damage to so many people with truly no treatment options.

I've honestly liked her in everything I have seen her in. I only watched the first Twilight movie though, and enjoyed her performance despite disliking the character. A decent soundtrack, her performance and that gorgeous forest pretty much kept me watching that movie, but I never bothered with the sequels. I actually just finished reading the book of Still Alice the other week. I'll get around to the movie eventually because I'm not gonna pass up something with Julianne Moore, Alec Baldwin and Kristen Stewart.

• Love 1

I hate Alex Baldwin but I still enjoyed Still Alice :'(

I think Kristen was ok in the Last Twilight movie too though there was an odd feel to the whole movie.

The last Twilight movie was something I think none of the original actors wanted to make. You could feel that vibe throughout the entire movie. Luckily, it was all about the action - so the characters were not as important. But still an odd feel to the movie is a good way to describe it.

Do you hate Alec Baldwin in general or just in the movie? Just curious... I feel like what he did in the end was the best solution to a really horrible situation. I'm pretty sure it is the decision I would have made. I probably would have made a completely different choice. But I think he was thinking about making the best situation for Alice. That being said, this is weeks after processing his actions. My initial response was a lot of anger towards his character. I haven't been able to read the book yet (I just can't put myself through it, yet so I don't know how truthful his portrayal is to the story). The film was hard enough from an emotional standpoint.

Thank you, that's very sweet! But plenty of people here bring news and spoilers, so you'd be fine. :)

But you compile lists, and cross reference and keep up with every blog in existence. You're irreplaceable.

• Love 8

In general so it kind of colors my feelings for the characters he plays...

Do you hate Alec Baldwin in general or just in the movie? Just curious... I feel like what he did in the end was the best solution to a really horrible situation. I'm pretty sure it is the decision I would have made. I probably would have made a completely different choice. But I think he was thinking about making the best situation for Alice. That being said, this is weeks after processing his actions. My initial response was a lot of anger towards his character. I haven't been able to read the book yet (I just can't put myself through it, yet so I don't know how truthful his portrayal is to the story). The film was hard enough from an emotional standpoint.

In general so it kind of colors my feelings for the characters he plays...

In general he does not seem like the kinda guy I would ever want to know or hang out with. He seems like a douche. So I get you on his personal persona coloring the character he plays. Same thing happens for me.

• Love 1

Thank you, that's very sweet!  But plenty of people here bring news and spoilers, so you'd be fine. :)

But you compile lists, and cross reference and keep up with every blog in existence. You're irreplaceable.

Gotta agree with the bottom sentiment... the board might be lost without you TV Echo. You are irreplaceable for the work & thoughts you bring to this forum. :)

• Love 3

I've honestly liked her in everything I have seen her in. I only watched the first Twilight movie though, and enjoyed her performance despite disliking the character. A decent soundtrack, her performance and that gorgeous forest pretty much kept me watching that movie, but I never bothered with the sequels. I actually just finished reading the book of Still Alice the other week. I'll get around to the movie eventually because I'm not gonna pass up something with Julianne Moore, Alec Baldwin and Kristen Stewart.

I saw her several years ago in "The Yellow Handkerchief" with Eddie Redmayne and William Hurt and I thought she was great in it. I think it really depends on the material she's working with. I honestly don't think anyone could have salvaged "Twilight."

I meant Cooper's voice over performance as Rocket. So funny. Those kind of things usually don't stand out to me, but I was kind of dreading it a little since I hadn't liked Cooper since Alias, so I was pleasantly surprised.

I like Shailene Woodley a lot, but the one time I watched her ABC Family show her character was supposedly crying on a bench but there was no moisture in her eyes. It was weird, particularly since she is such a good crier in her movies, like...even underwater in The Descendants so I don't know what happened there or if I'm remembering the scene wrong, but either way it was awful.

I'd completely forgotten that BC did the voice of Rocket, but yeah, he was amazing.

I did see Kirsten Stewart in something before Twillight and she was heartbreakingly great (date rape but not telling anyone and having all her friends turn against her) but after Twillight it's like she put up this wall and stopped emoting.  It's probably fair to say that I stopped watching anything she was in after being burned a few times.

I do think Shailene is overhyped (the Divergent movies did not impress) but there was something about Secret Life that was extra, extra awful.  Even the promos were hard to sit through.  The awfulness seemed to apply to all the actors.  So I fully believe your memory of her "crying" on a bench, lol.  

• Love 1

I'm one of the people that stopped watching Arrow and still hang around here. I watch the Flash and will be watching LoT so I'm still in the verse and with the in depth discussions going on here I can find out all I need without having to watch the episodes. Plus and most importantly for me, I need to find out and be prepared for Because Comics popping up in any of the other shows ahead of time. This place is also the best one for the up to date spoilers. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3

I'm one of the people that stopped watching Arrow and still hang around here. I watch the Flash and will be watching LoT so I'm still in the verse and with the in depth discussions going on here I can find out all I need without having to watch the episodes. Plus and most importantly for me, I need to find out and be prepared for Because Comics popping up in any of the other shows ahead of time. This place is also the best one for the up to date spoilers. 

And glad to have you around still!  :)

• Love 1

So just watched the most recent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie.  I considered putting this in the "You know you are watching too much Arrow" thread because the only reason I watched it was because of SA but I have to say, I liked it.   Good backstory, decent acting, fun stunts, likable characters, fast paced, concise evil plan, a bit of character growth for the turtles and honestly left me wanting more.  Oh and for the complaints that Megan Fox didn't have red hair, she actually did, you just could only tell when it was in the sunlight. 

So suddenly I'm hopeful rather than mostly embarrassed for his role in TMNT2. 

Bonus points since the villain's evil fortress was the Queen Manor, lol. 

• Love 2