Type keyword(s) to search

The Pulse: Jessica Jones In The Media

Word is, five women are currently testing for the role of Jessica Jones. According to reports, it's down to Krista Ritter (the "B" from "Don't Trust the B___ in Apt. 23"), Jessica DeGouw (who played The Huntress on "Arrow"), Alexandra Daddario (from "True Detective"), Theresa Palmer (from the movie "Warm Bodies"), and Cleo Anthony (from "Divergent") are all up for the role.

According to the article, they're also casting Luke Cage, who'll appear in about half a dozen episodes of Jessica Jones before his own Netflix series starts.

• Love 1

Oh, now I'm pulling for Kristen Ritter! Loved her in Don't Trust The B* and I think she'd have the right feel for the character. Plus, I'd prefer Ms. DeGouw  to reprise her Huntress over on Arrow, but I know that's being greedy.

They also say the series will be on next year (which hadn't been confirmed), and is now called Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones. So a forum name change may be in order?

I'm going to wait for at least one more source to bring up the title change first. It could be a mistake on the part of Marvel's social media department.

I'm going to wait for at least one more source to bring up the title change first. It could be a mistake on the part of Marvel's social media department.

It's possible they got confused (Aka Jessica Jones is the what the series was called when it was going to be on ABC a few years ago), but Ryan Penagos confirms that the show name was news too: https://twitter.com/agentm

I love both Ritter and Tennant, and any genre show with a female lead is a must-watch for me, but I've read some comments about this Purple Man and now I have doubts if I should give it a try.

Apparently, this villain is a serial rapist with superpowers which let him control people, and he has a past with the heroine. What, exactly, has happened in the comics, and how do you expect the show to adapt this storyline? I'm not sure if I can handle rape and torture of the lead character, it triggers the hell out of me. Secondary characters, I can deal with (although not easily), but lead, it may be just too much.

In the comics, the Purple Man's deal is that

he gives off powerful pheromones that can override a person's free will, and can force them to perform any depraved act he can imagine. He didn't do anything physical to Jessica, but he forced her to stand by his side for months with a plastic smile on her face while he did it to others.

While what he did to her was a shadow over Jessica's first series, he didn't show up in person until the final arc, giving her a chance to confront him, and put him behind her once and for all. I can easily see them doing the same thing in the show.

I'm not a fan of

using rape, either physical or psychological, to give female characters an "edgy" backstory

, but I thought the comic did it well, and I hope the show does the same.

• Love 3

I wonder how they're going to deal with it, though. In the books

Jean Grey of the X-Men was the one that helped Jessica a) get over what he had done and b) established specific blocks in her mind that would help Jessica fight Purple Man if he showed up and used her power on her again. What's more, when he used his power on her to attack Daredevil and the Avengers, Carol Danvers was the only one who knew Jessica and pulled her out of the fight in order to get her away from the Avengers and to the help she needed.

Those were really good issues... if I recall, we saw that story in flashback as she told Luke Cage about it.

• Love 1

I guess they're going to have Purple Man be a factor in the series from the start?  In the comics she was a "damaged goods" character for unspoken reasons for the equivalent of a TV season and a half working cases before they did the Purple Man arc at the end of the series, so that's some reshuffling.

Also, I would guess

they're going to jettison the whole "Purple Man breaks the fourth wall and talks to the reader/audience directly" bit, as I'm not sure it's sustainable for TV.

Since they approached Daredevil more like a crime drama than a superhero show, I'm kind of hoping this might turn out to be Veronica Mars with Actual Superpowers.  That may be an association I'm making just because of Krysten Ritter.

As weird as this is to say, that poster makes me a little more enthusiastic toward Ritter's casting.  I'm apparently the one person in America who's never really watched Breaking Bad, so I only really know Ritter from VM and Gilmore Girls, and just based on that she doesn't really have the damaged-but-tough vibe that I think Jessica needs.  But they're certainly presenting her like she is, and that helps.

• Love 2

Since they approached Daredevil more like a crime drama than a superhero show, I'm kind of hoping this might turn out to be Veronica Mars with Actual Superpowers.  That may be an association I'm making just because of Krysten Ritter.

That would be my dream show, huge VM fan here.

I never had an issue with the casting of Krysten Ritter, I liked her both in VM and Apartment 23 (haven't seen her anywhere else... 

• Love 1
(edited)

AKA JESSICA JONES NOW JUST CALLED 'JESSICA JONES'

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/09/aka-jessica-jones-now-just-called-jessica-jones

Thank you. I hated the AKA. It just sounded stupid as a show title. Just calling it Jessica Jones is fine, that's the lead characters name. 

My only issue with Krysten Ritter is she's too skinny for me to buy as a former Super Hero. Acting wise, she was brilliant on "Don't Trust the B". And based on her role in Breaking Bad she can play the damaged but tough character. I'll give her a chance, plus David Tennant was enough for me to check this show out. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

Ha!! I love how it's all 'Okay! We all got our powers from toxic waste... except for the guy who punched a dragon in the heart. Wha-aa-aat?' And Luke's all "I'm not sure about that! I'm just guessing at the toxic waste thing!"

‘Jessica Jones’ Comics Writer: Netflix Show Is ‘Faithful And Lively’

“I know I’ve been very low-key on talking about the Jessica Jones TV show but I think I have to stop doing that because I can’t hold it any longer. I’m going to burst. The show is so good. I have seen the first couple of episodes, and because I didn’t work on it directly, I can say this with full no-ego fanfare: I loved it! And believe me, I was going to be the hardest on it. Harder than any of you. Jessica is a part of my DNA. A bad Jessica Jones show would have hurt me deeply.”
  • Love 1

yowzer! That's exciting.

ETA. It's pretty interesting how they have been positioning these releases. They seem to coincide with network slow downs. Makes sense.

Edited by seamusk

I'm loving these little teasers. Really giving us a taste that Jessica is a lot more than meets the eye. I'm very curious as to how they'll manage her powers in the show but I'm going to assume that they're not going for Avengers style super-heroics and will be playing it all pretty subtle for as much as they can.

I got the comic yesterday... nice set up for connecting Jessica to Daredevil by way of Turk getting the crap beat out of him while Jessica's tracking him down for being a dead-beat Dad.

And the latest teaser? Wha-aa-aat? Killgrave's creep factor was amped up exponentially in Alias and since my first experience with Tennant was as Barty Crouch Jr in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire this is reverting to form in a sense. Seriously, when I saw he was the 10th Doctor, I gasped and went 'Barty Crouch.... JUNIOR!' So I have absolutely no doubt he can bring the creeps big time. And the purple tinge to his eyes in the above... nicely done.

I am so looking forward to this.

• Love 1

They're letting Tennant have an accent!  Hooray!  I've been a bit out of the loop outside of the trailers (which are sooo awesome), so I hadn't read anything about him recently but this is excellent.  And it's his Barty Crouch....Junior accent which means EVIL.  So. Excited.