Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E08: Spousal Privilege

• Start Topic

A domestic-violence dispute involving a sportscaster and his girlfriend is uncovered on security-camera footage from a parking garage, but the girlfriend is reluctant to seek legal help because she doesn't want her family to break apart.

More "Ripped From The Headlines" - hello, Ray Rice case...

• Love 2

Not just Ray Rice, but Rihanna-Chris brown also (though I know they did that before).  I thought a lot about Rihanna during the episode.

At least the actors were good.  Real, actual actors.  I'm happy for all you Barba fans out there.  Other than that.  Meh.  Meagan Good is very good-looking.

I can't stand Kelli Giddish on this show, and either she's getting worse, or I just can't stand her.  The writers always give her the cheesiest, expositiony lines and she recites them very cheesily too.  The entire character and her dialogue are so unnatural.  What the hell was taunting Amaro all about.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

I kind of wish Rollins were starring in her own show about a fucked up cop with addiction problems.  From an acting standpoint, Kelli Giddish just nails the self-destructive aspect of the character.  I'd love to see what she could do if she were on a show where actual character development and thoughtful writing took place....

I don't always mind soapbox!Benson but I thought she was annoying as all heck in this episode.  At least Barba got a win out of it, I suppose.  I thought his interrogation of the wife was a great scene, again, acting-wise.  

• Love 8

SVU's take on Ray Rice features Amaro and Benson at their smugly hypocritical worst.

"Benson's grumping that the responding officers shouldn't have taken Paula at her word, he zings, "They take your word all the time."

Actually Benson said that the ADA (in the original case) shouldn't have taken the arresting officers word. Barba then responded that he takes Liv at her word all the time.

Edited by Dot Com

I'm really not a fan of the "ripped from the headline" shows that they do, because it doesn't give me a good SVU feeling when I watch the show. I like the episodes where they have their own cases and not the headline ones.

I knew they were ripping of Ray Rice the minute I seen the previews for it. Typical battered wife sticks by her abusive husband. I've seen that over and over and the Lifetime Network will drill that into your head all day. That's basically what this episode was, a Lifetime Movie shrunken down into an hour show. If I want to see an abusive jackass get what's coming to him I'll watch "The Burning Bed."

• Love 2

Please help a girl out. Where do I know the defendant from? He's very striking and a good actor. I've seen him before, but where?

He played Cutty on "The Wire" and Z on "It's always Sunny in Philadelphia. "

Please get rid of Rollins and Amaro. I seriously cannot stand their characters. They bring nothing to the show except their overplayed, boring storylines.

I don't understand why they don't just pair Carisi with Fin and call it a day. Olivia doesn't have to be at every crime scene. The switching out of Fin and Carisi sucks. I really like both characters and would rather watch them instead of Rollins and Amaro.

I wonder if anyone who works SVU reads here? I think we give them enough valuable info to make the show so much better...lol!

• Love 2

What was up with Amanda this episode? First she seems (rightfully) concerned about Nick's temper when he's yelling at his ex on the phone, and she's annoyed by his stupid comment about the women who had their private nude photos leaked, but by mid-episode she's defending A. J. for abusing his wife and trying to get Nick to hit her? Girl clearly has more issues than the gambling problem. She's right about Nick though, he does have a savior complex and a whole host of other issues he needs to get under control. I kind of hope this is the end of Nick and Amanda as a romantic pairing because I like both of them as characters, especially Amanda, but I'm tired of watching their drama. I'm not sure what the writers were going for here... were we supposed to think they're both a mess and shouldn't be with each other? Because that's what I took from all this. They should be working on themselves as individuals, not doing whatever it was they were doing here. 

And Fin was right about not taking anything or anyone from the job home with you. I loved that little scene between him and Amanda. 

I don't understand why they don't just pair Carisi with Fin and call it a day. Olivia doesn't have to be at every crime scene. The switching out of Fin and Carisi sucks. I really like both characters and would rather watch them instead of Rollins and Amaro.

I agree, but I'd rather they pair Carisi with Nick and move Amanda back to partnering with Fin. I always liked Fin and Amanda together, plus Carisi seems to gets under Nick's skin a bit, so bonus there. I like seeing Olivia out in the field and not just stuck behind a desk, but she doesn't really need a partner. She could just come and go as needed, like Cragen did. 

ETA: I don't really know what to say about the case in the episode. I think they did a little too good of a job at creating sympathy and understanding for A.J.. I understand why his wife would feel the way she does, because she's coming from an abusive environment, but I would have never expected SVU to present locking up a domestic abuser as a potentially bad thing, and at times, that's what it seemed like they were doing. 

Edited by Everleigh
  • Love 7
The writers always give her the cheesiest, expositiony lines and she recites them very cheesily too.  The entire character and her dialogue are so unnatural.  What the hell was taunting Amaro all about.

It's my husband's theory that Kelli Giddish read her sides, said WAT and was drunk on set all week. I get that they want to show that any character can have a blind spot, and Amanda's got lots of family history that she wants kept quiet and she's all hey, football! I used to bet on football! but they didn't give her any of those beats--just lines ripped from the Cliche-O-Matic about Privacy and Lessons Learned. I'm surprised she didn't *beep* at the end of every sentence.

It was very interesting to see the wife defending "her life, her choices" and not having a Come To Jesus And Benson moment. She was furious and so indoctrinated by "how things work" that she can't even see she's drunk the Kool-Aid. And how her kid disrespects her, and fears his dad, because that's what he's learned about how to treat women and kids? Chilling.

I don't understand why they don't just pair Carisi with Fin and call it a day. Olivia doesn't have to be at every crime scene. The switching out of Fin and Carisi sucks.

I'm inclined to believe that SVU almost getting the axe at the end of last year had to do with $$$, so it's probably why the alternating is going on, to save money. That, and MH probably has a hee-yuge chunk going to her.

So it's probably "alternate or lose cast members" time seeing as how old this show is now.

• Love 3

I think the husband was also a guest star on The Good Wife --- someone on death row perhaps.  That's where I know him from because I haven't seen his other shows.

IMDB listing:

The Good Wife (TV Series)
Carter Wright
- Nine Hours (2010) ... Carter Wright

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

It was very interesting to see the wife defending "her life, her choices" and not having a Come To Jesus And Benson moment. She was furious and so indoctrinated by "how things work" that she can't even see she's drunk the Kool-Aid. And how her kid disrespects her, and fears his dad, because that's what he's learned about how to treat women and kids? Chilling.

I rolled my eyes when she blamed Benson and the police for everything.  Lady, if it was just you, it might be "your choice" but when you have a child, they should be taken into account too!  Just saying...

• Love 2

I didn't hate the episode--I rather liked it--but it was indeed about as subtle as a cinder block, likely by design considering its subject matter, and it seemed to have some pacing issues bouncing between A.J./Paula and Amaro/Rollins (and while I think Kelli Giddish did a great job with what she was given here, the show could have been just a little more graceful making Rollins more sympathetic towards Paula's position; lucindabelle's comment about the show alternatively having had her fake the whole thing in the bar does strike me as an interesting missed opportunity).  OTOH, it finally alluded to Fin being clued in on the office romantic elephant in the squadroom; Meagan Good and Chad Coleman (A.J.) actually did really well with relatively thankless parts, more so Meagan; and it gave Barba a lot to do after a few episodes of relative nothingness.

Edited by Bill C.
  • Love 1

I'm not fond of Kelli Giddish's character on SVU, just never warmed up to the character and don't know if it's the acting, direction, writing, or all the above. I've warmed to everyone else and thought that I couldn't like no other ADA besides Cabot but I've grown to love Barba.

That bar scene was total stupidity. Both Rowland and Amaro needs to be gone ASAP. I was hoping the new detective what's-his-name would mean replacing the the annoying drunk/gambling addict one and the perpetually angry one but it doesn't look like that's the case.

• Love 3

I liked this episode, mainly because it was heavy on the Barba. I think one of the reasons I like the character so much is that he is the only one on the show who dares to stand up to Benson and she listens to him for the most part. The "I take your word all the time" line made me giggle. I like that their relationship is one of mutual respect. However, I cannot stand the insufferable Amaro and the relationship with Rollins. I still wish that Amanda wasn't such a hot mess. Hey SVU, you know you can have a show where there are two women who have different styles and personalities and both can still be likable and competent. 

• Love 3
Hey SVU, you know you can have a show where there are two women who have different styles and personalities and both can still be likable and competent.

No, it's against SVU law. Queen Olivia rules all, damn it! (I think that's one of the reasons why I so dislike the character now.)

• Love 6

I liked this episode, mainly because it was heavy on the Barba. I think one of the reasons I like the character so much is that he is the only one on the show who dares to stand up to Benson and she listens to him for the most part. The "I take your word all the time" line made me giggle. I like that their relationship is one of mutual respect. However, I cannot stand the insufferable Amaro and the relationship with Rollins. I still wish that Amanda wasn't such a hot mess. Hey SVU, you know you can have a show where there are two women who have different styles and personalities and both can still be likable and competent.

I would just like to "ditto" everything you said about Barba and "AMEN!" everything you said about Amaro & Rollins.

I think the husband was also a guest star on The Good Wife --- someone on death row perhaps.  That's where I know him from because I haven't seen his other shows.

IMDB listing:

The Good Wife (TV Series)

Carter Wright

- Nine Hours (2010) ... Carter Wright

I loved that episode! He was only onscreen for like ten minutes but he was so brilliant and heart-breaking in it. 

• Love 2

Hey SVU, you know you can have a show where there are two women who have different styles and personalities and both can still be likable and competent. 

As long as the lead is the producer I doubt there will be any female be likable and competent.  If this show wouldn't have created the ego of Olivia Benson and the actress it may have happened.  Maybe if Rollins was played by someone other than Kelly it could happen - if she was on another show.

The best part was seeing Barba.  He makes this show worth watching and you can throw in Finn too.  I did love the attorney calling out Benson for her saying Amaro could control his anger issues (or it wasn't a problem whatever, yeah sure) but the defendant was in no way able to reform.  I'm not defending the defendant (he shouldn't be) but I don't think either men are able to reform.  It just suits her now.

• Love 1

It has nothing to do with the actors, but other than Barba, Finn, and Carisi, I'm not really liking any of the characters on this show.  Amanda's consistently hit-or-miss, Amaro's always been an ass, and Olivia's becoming a bitch.  That last observation is one I struggle with; if Kragen had been written like Olivia (I don't think he had been), I hope I'd have called him a prick.

• Love 4

I used to like Olivia a lot. But, her character became so insufferable that I stopped watching for a few years. I hated the way her character became so "woe is me." That mixed in with Elliot's anger problem just made me walk away from the show for a little bit.

What sucks now, is that Amaro is becoming another Stabler and Rollin's just sucks and Olivia is so annoying.

I think the show would be so much better if they just got rid of those three characters. They add nothing to the show.

Edited by Suzy123
  • Love 4
I think the show would be so much better if they just got rid of those three characters.

The only thing is, if Mariska Hargitay did leave, I can guarantee you that NBC would think she is irreplaceable and just cancel the show outright. This year's key art said it all to me.

Which sucks since the Mothership and CI survived cast changes (even if CI reversed itself later on - which was fine with me!), but SVU without Liv? Inconceivable, or so the suits think. But I think it would be interesting to see if indeed the show could survive without Olivia's miserable self.

The only thing is, if Mariska Hargitay did leave, I can guarantee you that NBC would think she is irreplaceable and just cancel the show outright. This year's key art said it all to me.

Which sucks since the Mothership and CI survived cast changes (even if CI reversed itself later on - which was fine with me!), but SVU without Liv? Inconceivable, or so the suits think. But I think it would be interesting to see if indeed the show could survive without Olivia's miserable self.

I would love to see a season without Liv, even if it was noted it was the last (17th season).  I honestly think SVU would last without the ever Olivia.  It lasted without Stabler so if they brought in others to go on without Liv it could work.  Although this show anchored on her for so long that we are programmed to believe it couldn't last.  Replace Liv, Amaro, Rollins, and the show could work. 

• Love 1

I'm supposed to actually like Olivia, right?

I only ask because at this point it seems virtually impossible with how she is being written.  

Someone should explain to the writing staff a strong independent woman doesn't HAVE to be written as bitchy and superior acting 90% of the time she's on my TV screen.

• Love 2

IDK what has happened to Olivia over the years, cause Cragen being in charge he didn't act like that. He was strict and firm, which a character can actually be an ass being like that but Cragen was able to pull it off while being likable. 

I know I started turning on Olivia when during that episode where Dickie's friend is killed by that drug addict and she gets snippy with Cabot and tells her she's putting in a request to get a new ADA, as much as Cabot has bailed her and Stabler out of trouble and Benson acts like that. GTFO. Paxton did tell Cabot that Benson and Stabler will only lookout for each other and leave her out to dry.

Rollins just suck, Amaro is a Stabler wannabe but doesn't have Stabler's "magic", Stabler is able to pull off the hot head, Amaro just can't. Stinks that Munch was written out, he was enjoyable. I always wondered when Stabler left why didn't Finn move up to be Liv's partner and be the new male lead?

All I have left is Barba, Finn, and Carisi to watch and enjoy.

• Love 3

Olivia was so sanctimonious this episode I half wanted the perp to be found not guilty. I loved when the defense attorney snarked about Olivia's double standard about thinking Amaro could be rehabbed and the perp couldnt be.  If the show goes on I think they need to replace Olivia with another strong well known actor/actress type to lead the unit. I really enjoyed Donal Logue when he was on last year. 

• Love 3

With Olivia having Cragen's role now they should find a new female detective lead to have take her spot because Rollins sure as hell isn't it. Maybe have a Finn/New Female detective be lead detectives on all the good cases with Amaro and Rollins fading into the background and move Carisi up to.

• Love 1

I liked this episode. Domestic violence is such a difficult subject and they somehow managed to shed light on many of aspects of it. Like almost every character had their own opinion on the matter which made it a little cluttered but I still liked it cause not everything is as easy to call flat out right or wrong.

Barba was awesome & I just love when Calhoun/Marvel is on the show. Not liking the rotation of Fin/Amaro/Carisi, I want a full squad in every ep not just cause it makes for better coherency but also cause I like all three of them.

The bar scene though. Wow. That's what made the ep for me. I cringed but I still loved it. Kelli & Danny were brilliant (or superb as Amanda would call it). I think I mostly loved it cause they're obviously building up to whatever is going to go down with Atlanta and what deputy chief Patton (can't wait to see Harry Hamlin knock that part out of the park) put her through. Amanda's "Cause some of us don't want to be victims" was just so telling and you could really tell on her face when it turned from the case to being really personal. And Danny were brilliant and I liked that Amaro was able to walk away. He took his anger out on a locker and then on a glass, I guess that's some progress in his anger management. I'm a Finanda shipper but I'm rooting for Rollaro now that they've gone that route (loved the Finanda scene though, Fin is forever my #1 sweetheart).

I've been saying for a long time now that I think Benson is a horrible boss. I had such high expectations of her in command and I'm so disappointed that she hasn't been able to carry on some of Cragen's legacy. I really thought that was a given. I would definitely keep watching a show without her. If they could bring back Donal Logue he can replace her in a second (and then they would probably be able to afford to have the entire squad in every ep if they wouldn't have to pay Mariska).

But even though I'm so negative about her character I still have some hope it can turn around, she was my favorite at one point back in the day. SVU wouldn't be the same without Benson but I just want SVU to be as enjoyable as I just know it can be if they got that character straighten out. I want the other flawed ones left though. I loved flawed characters, it's the bitter, pissy and I-think-I'm-Almighty one they need to do something about.

And I just can't believe they're pulling out another Noah-in-danger card in an episode that seems to have so much potential. Sigh.

• Love 2

What the hell was taunting Amaro all about.

Absolutely no fecking idea!  That was one of the most strange scenes I've seen on the show.  I get that they're trying to hammer home that Nick is an 'angry man' but one who does not abuse women, but what on earth are they doing to Rollins?  Is she an alcoholic now, as well as a gambling addict?  If I were Amaro, and boinking Rollins, I'd run a mile after that episode in the bar.

What was up with Amanda this episode?

I don't know - I'm traumatised!  I used to love Rollins - troubled as she is. This episode, she was a total nutjob.  

The bar scene though. Wow. That's what made the ep for me. I cringed but I still loved it. Kelli & Danny were brilliant (or superb as Amanda would call it). I think I mostly loved it cause they're obviously building up to whatever is going to go down with Atlanta and what deputy chief Patton (can't wait to see Harry Hamlin knock that part out of the park) put her through. Amanda's "Cause some of us don't want to be victims" was just so telling and you could really tell on her face when it turned from the case to being really personal. And Danny were brilliant and I liked that Amaro was able to walk away. He took his anger out on a locker and then on a glass, I guess that's some progress in his anger management. I'm a Finanda shipper but I'm rooting for Rollaro now that they've gone that route (loved the Finanda scene though, Fin is forever my #1 sweetheart).

The bar scene really lost me until your post.  Nevertheless, I don't understand what Rollins was banging on about, and I really hope that they don't make her a gambling, alcoholic (random addiction of the day) dishonest cop.  Kelli Giddish is better than the material provided.

Edited by pointybird
  • Love 2

The bar scene really lost me until your post.  Nevertheless, I don't understand what Rollins was banging on about, and I really hope that they don't make her a gambling, alcoholic (random addiction of the day) dishonest cop.  Kelli Giddish is better than the material provided.

I certainly don't hold the truth but from what I think is going on, well first of all I think Rollins has an addictive personality; we know about the gambling and I could easily add work and running/exercise to that list. I know she gets some slut shaming online but we've really only seen her hook up with two guys (I still say offering herself to Murphy came out of total despair, so I only count Nate & Amaro as her hook-ups) so even though I wouldn't put it past her to indulge in sex as well I will not put sex on the addiction list at this point. But alcohol may be on the list and there was this small scene in an ep last season (after she was shot) where she popped those pills like candy. So that she gets addictive easily doesn't bother me one bit, and certainly not if it turns out that this chief Patton really put her through the ringer. Warren tweeted an article a while back about groping and sexual harassment in a police department (can't remember which one) and he linked Rollins to that tweet so I think that might be what's going to come up. I can't help but wonder why her mom will make an appearance as well, is it linked to Patton? I dunno but I'm on high alert :)

I think the bar scene was about Rollins not wanting to be a victim but I think she's starting to realize she is/was and it's not sitting well with her. She tried to agitate Amaro, perhaps not on purpose at first, but when he didn't even bite a little it just built up and she got more and more aggressive in trying to just provoke him. And the 'are you jealous of Maria' line probably didn't sit well with her either seeing how it had probably nothing to do with that what so ever. I think she wanted him to get it but just couldn't say it out loud and that got her so frustrated she got aggressive, and the alcohol consumption probably didn't help. I'm very intrigued on seeing Patton and what sort of interaction they'll have. And no, I'm not at all obsessed about Rollins ;)

"Barba was the most impressive actor on this season. His neighbours may worry. I will go and have a look tomorrow."

I don't get this paragraph pointybird.

Oops, it was just some random stuff I was writing at the same time about something completely different that got included by accident!  Apologies!

Warren tweeted an article a while back about groping and sexual harassment in a police department (can't remember which one) and he linked Rollins to that tweet so I think that might be what's going to come up. I can't help but wonder why her mom will make an appearance as well, is it linked to Patton? I dunno but I'm on high alert :)

Thanks for the info on the tweet, and analysis in your post with respect to Rollins' addictions.  Really looking forward to the next episode, and in particular, Rollins going back to Atlanta.  

• Love 1

I am so tired of this show. I have walked away from it before, but after couple of years they sucked me back in. But this time might be permanent. I remember when this was a sweet little show about what it takes to handle the most despicable of crimes. Now it's just a constant PSA, convoluted plot twists, and speechifying. I can't take it. I just look at Olivia's face and I want to say please shut the fuck up...and the character may not have even said something yet. I just know what's coming, and that it is going to be delivered w/an attitude and a pompousness that makes me want to smack her. I get that they gave her Noah so we could see her smile, and by no means am I saying more baby. But Jesus lady crack a joke, curl the corners of your mouth a little. I promise it won't hurt. Listen to someone else in the room for 1 second before you decide they're wrong and do whatever the hell you want anyways.

When they were having the spanking convo in the squad room I wanted to scream. It's not enough we've got Ray Rice and Rihanna. Now we got to throw in some damn Adrian Peterson too. GTFOH. Spanking has never been the debate. Even non-spankers agree. Popping your kid on the butt after you have told them not to touch the stove 100x is not the same god damn thing as taking a switch to your child's penis, and drawing blood (that's 1 of the things AD did too his son). That's child abuse so lets not play games. I was spanked. No one ever abused me. And just like Finn tried to say before Olivia jumped on in, was that if you grew up being spanked you know it. If you look back at your childhood and wince...that's probably abuse.

The posters who pointed out that it's not just the actors, writers, or even the characters themselves. It's the producers. Their voices are coming out in the characters. They are running their own agendas, whether that serves the show, and storylines is irrelevant.

At this point the only characters I can stomach are Finn, Carisi, and Barba. And even Barba starts to suck as soon as he gets in Olivia's orbit, and she starts telling him what to do. Amaro is so angry and hostile and just waiting to jump at all times. When he was staring the husband down I almost wished he had smacked him so he could get some of what he dishes out every week.

I thought this episode was terrible. It felt like The More You Know brought to life.

Please help a girl out. Where do I know the defendant from? He's very striking and a good actor. I've seen him before, but where?

As mentioned 1 of them is The Walking Dead. Chad Coleman is the actors name, and he still plays Tyreece on there. Before TWD the only other show I had ever seen him in was Criminal Minds. I can't remember the characters name but he was the stalker, turned kidnapper of Derrick Morgan's cousin. He was part of some underground who "married the women then enslaved them".

• Love 2