Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Chopper

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

When a massive helicopter explosion in a densely populated area leaves a trail of debris scattered across a full city block, members of the firehouse spring into action as lives hang in the balance. Squad 3 finds itself in a precarious position, Brett is cornered by a dangerous man in the midst of the madness and Dawson is shocked to discover what actually brought the chopper down.

I thought that was a good, solid episode. One big accident with a good balance of action, suspense, heroics, and humor. Loved everyone showing up for Zumba; they gave Cruz a hard time, but clearly they are all just family. I think my favorite moment was Casey's reaction when he realized Severide and Brittany were going to make up.

• Love 3

What the hell is wrong with WIfe Severide? Firefighters put their lives on the line, but why are you being a crazy psycho showing up to the scene?

Because I think they're setting her up to be a crazy psycho. On Twitter, the main Chicago Fire account tweeted "When you realize bae has no chill" under a pic of Severide's face and the 37 unread messages on his phone. :) 

I thought this one was pretty solid. They do best with the big action sequences and when they keep the inter-personal melodrama to a minimum. I thought it was funny that once Sylvie found out about Cruz being a Zumba instructor, he was so excited to have someone in on it, and kept trying to give her tips and stuff, to where Casey thought they must be sleeping together. And as cheesy as it was, I had to laugh at the vignette of all the fire fighters spreading the word, all telling each other "this goes no further."

I wonder who this guy is that Sylvie saved. Is he some kind of hit man, and is she going to hire him to bump off her former boyfriend?

• Love 2

I am thinking she might call in the favor for Mills next episode. I did think it was kind of crappy that Casey told Gabby about Cruz.  Yes I know its not a huge deal, teaching Zumba, but as a Lieutenant, he should be a vault for information, no matter how lame.  I don't blame everyone else, because l would have spread that around too.  Plus the ending scene with all of them in class was great.

• Love 2

Is the guy in the van undercover ...A: Treadstone  B: CTU  C: SHIELD  D: Blacklist ... ???

E. Chicago PD Intelligence

I thought this was a good episode. Not a good for Chicago Fire episode or good by the standards of NBC shows. It was honest to goodness riveting TV. I know they can't do this every week, but as said before this show is at its best when it's concentrating on rescues and not on soap opera. Although I have to admit, I wouldn't mind seeing more of Chief Boden and Donna. I don't know what it is, but their relationship is just so supportive and mature while still having enough interesting things going on to keep me rooting for them. The two actors just bring it in their scenes together.

Why was 81 the only truck on the scene? You'd think that a big disaster like this would justify having at least three or four more trucks. Just last night there was a small fire in my apartment building and five trucks showed up.

I think it's just the Latin nerd in me, but Cruz saying, "Et tu Brette" cracked me up.

What the hell is wrong with WIfe Severide? Firefighters put their lives on the line, but why are you being a crazy psycho showing up to the scene?

To me it's almost like we have missed a deleted scene.  Like we should know why she did that, but we have no clue.  It was the only bad thing about what was a really good episode.

To me it's almost like we have missed a deleted scene.  Like we should know why she did that, but we have no clue.  It was the only bad thing about what was a really good episode.

Thought they told us during their final scene.  She lost her sister - had the large tattoo ("Kathleen") on her side.  So that explains their bond.  Not sure that's enough to sustain either a ltr or marriage, however.

I know it's difficult to be the spouse of anyone involved in emergency services.  That said, most prospective spouses use the courtship period to figure out their own coping mechanism.  Didn't surprise me when Severide mentioned to her that no other spouses were on scene.  Plus, she doesn't appear to have any other activities, e.g. work, to occupy her time. 

Thought she was from another city - didn't she mention that in Vegas?  Feels as if tptb expect the viewers to suspend disbelief for the sake of drama that this woman immediately pulled up stakes to follow Severide??  Although she did ask Kelly to call in sick to check out a burger joint on Rush so perhaps she's from Chicago.  Yeah, that would have gone over well when they ran into someone they knew or Casey talked, lol.

I agree that there's definitely something missing - Severide doesn't know enough about this woman.  But, we all knew that immediately when the character arrived on the scene and Kelly held up his ringed finger in Boden's office (last episode).  We'll see if she makes it to 6 weeks so Casey wins the pool!

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1

E. Chicago PD Intelligence

I thought this was a good episode. Not a good for Chicago Fire episode or good by the standards of NBC shows. It was honest to goodness riveting TV. I know they can't do this every week, but as said before this show is at its best when it's concentrating on rescues and not on soap opera. Although I have to admit, I wouldn't mind seeing more of Chief Boden and Donna. I don't know what it is, but their relationship is just so supportive and mature while still having enough interesting things going on to keep me rooting for them. The two actors just bring it in their scenes together.

Why was 81 the only truck on the scene? You'd think that a big disaster like this would justify having at least three or four more trucks. Just last night there was a small fire in my apartment building and five trucks showed up.

I think it's just the Latin nerd in me, but Cruz saying, "Et tu Brette" cracked me up.

They called 2 truck units - had 2 aerials up, IIRC.  I agree, however, seems as if that'd be 4 or 5 to evacuate all the surrounding buildings.  And only 1 squad?  I don't know - perhaps 2 wouldn't be necessary but they did show other personnel performing minor rescues.  Granted, during a major incident, they all need to step up but  ???  Guess tptb didn't care to bring in more extras!

That was my fave line, too, "Et tu Brette"!

Edited by BearCat49

I so agree,  We have more show up for a dead deer in the road.  And where were the police for at least crowd control?  And Dawson had to be the one to notice a bloody handprint, shouldn't there have been other first responders there to canvas the area for troublespots?  I guess I get not wanting to hire a lot of extras but this strained credibility.  The explosion was on television even before they were called to it -- I think that's a big enough deal to merit a few cops.

I am thinking she might call in the favor for Mills next episode. I did think it was kind of crappy that Casey told Gabby about Cruz.  Yes I know its not a huge deal, teaching Zumba, but as a Lieutenant, he should be a vault for information, no matter how lame.  I don't blame everyone else, because l would have spread that around too.  Plus the ending scene with all of them in class was great.

I agree that Casey should have been a vault.  His integrity went down a peg after that scene.  Also, his judgment, he should know that Dawson cannot keep a secret and, even if he thinks she can, he crossed professional boundaries by telling her, proof again that Dawson has no business being trained there.  Speaking of knocking Casey (or maybe Jesse Spencer) down a peg, the man can't dance.  Neither can Mouch but that fits his character and I am assuming that was the directive Christian Stolte received,  But why would Jess Spencer be told to (not really) dance that way?  The rest were great at Zumba including Hermann.

When Casey threw the orange at Severide, he said that half of Milwaukee could hear Severide's lovemaking.  Does that mean all of Chicago and Illinois awakened first?  Seems like that line should have been Chicago instead of a Wisconsin city.

Edited by MaryHedwig

They called 2 truck units - had 2 aerials up, IIRC.  I agree, however, seems as if that'd be 4 or 5 to evacuate all the surrounding buildings.  And only 1 squad?  I don't know - perhaps 2 wouldn't be necessary but they did show other personnel performing minor rescues.  Granted, during a major incident, they all need to step up but  ???  Guess tptb didn't care to bring in more extras!

That was my fave line, too, "Et tu Brette"!

NBD but IIRC the other truck unit, the one I'd previously mentioned, was #70.

Good idea to add a few police officers.  Boden was in charge of the scene so perhaps he needed to call for add'l fd and pd assistance.

When he flipped the orange, I assumed Casey meant all of Chicago plus Milwaukee!  That was my interpretation of that line.

The thing that bugged me was that there looked to be tons of firefighers on the ground but every time someone needed backup there was none to be found. I mean Hermann and Otis by themselves working to help that lady and at one point Mouch was just sort of standing around next to Boden. Why not call for a few guys and lift that thing right off her quick. Plus it seemed like it was a massive accident and only two ambulances show up? So that Mills and his partner have to split up?

Is the guy in the van undercover ...A: Treadstone  B: CTU  C: SHIELD  D: Blacklist ... ???

I figured he was some kind of cleaner type person like Harvey Keitel from Pulp Fiction. Or maybe that combined with the guy who can make people disappear from Breaking Bad. But either way why would that kind of guy have a business card?

to where Casey thought they must be sleeping together. And as cheesy as it was, I had to laugh at the vignette of all the fire fighters spreading the word, all telling each other "this goes no further."

That was kind of stupid. Why did she feel the need to tell him? I mean he thought they were in a relationship, she said they weren't. After that if he doesn't believe her just say "ok lieutenant, believe what you want".

I think my favorite moment was Casey's reaction when he realized Severide and Brittany were going to make up.

That was kind of messed up. I mean do they just sit around all day on the couch, drinking coffee and listening to Severide and his wife having sex? Because Dawson talked about them going to a hotel. Plus she owns a bar? Why are you even in the house if it disturbs you so much and you refuse to say anything?

• Love 1

^^ WELL PLAYED, SIR. WELL PLAYED.

This confused me as well. I kept looking for the other firehouse they fought earlier this season.

It's like I can see Kelly's heart break a little more each time he sees a pic of Shay.

I heart Chief and wife.

Was SO GLAD Gabby didn't have to get rescued by her twu wuv in the basement.

That was kind of stupid. Why did she feel the need to tell him? I mean he thought they were in a relationship, she said they weren't. After that if he doesn't believe her just say "ok lieutenant, believe what you want".

I hate to say it, but maybe Sylvie was embarrassed for anyone to think she couldn't do any better than Joe Cruz, and didn't want anyone thinking she'd stoop that low. Or, giving her the benefit of the doubt, she simply didn't want Casey spreading rumors about her and Cruz.

I hate to say it, but maybe Sylvie was embarrassed for anyone to think she couldn't do any better than Joe Cruz, and didn't want anyone thinking she'd stoop that low. Or, giving her the benefit of the doubt, she simply didn't want Casey spreading rumors about her and Cruz.

Agreed, but I sometimes doubt Britt's maturity and judgment.  Who but the "Cutie" (the first one to get killed in the slasher film) leads their prey down an narrow isolated alley and has her gun rolling around in her makeup case?

That was kind of messed up. I mean do they just sit around all day on the couch, drinking coffee and listening to Severide and his wife having sex?

I thought the same thing.  However, that is all they seem to do around the firehouse until the call comes in.  Maybe they all walk around in an adrenaline-crush stupor for days (Severide said, two days off, one day on) between shifts.

I agree that there's definitely something missing - Severide doesn't know enough about this woman.  But, we all knew that immediately when the character arrived on the scene and Kelly held up his ringed finger in Boden's office (last episode).  We'll see if she makes it to 6 weeks so Casey wins the pool!

There is something more to this girl.  The dead sister, knowing the burger joint in Chicago, the psycho-freakout at the crash site, the tattoo that keeps on growing, Severide's rush to put her name of his pension benefits...  I hope Casey is going to provide Serveide with more assistance than an orange; Casey should have learned from his sister's husband that all that not everyone that moves into the Chicago Fire world can be trusted.  I just hope Severide's heart, and wallet and face, do not get broken too badly before she moves on to the next target (check the craps table, the next dupe is waiting for you there.)

Edited by MaryHedwig

What's wrong with Cruz dating Sylvie? the guy has a heart! LOL yeah we know is the Zumba thing... 

CFD must have low wages, like everybody in the house has a second job, at least 6 of them with the Molly's thing, Cruz Zumba, etc.

What's wrong with Cruz dating Sylvie? the guy has a heart! LOL yeah we know is the Zumba thing... 

CFD must have low wages, like everybody in the house has a second job, at least 6 of them with the Molly's thing, Cruz Zumba, etc.

Severide told his wife he works 24 on and 48? off. That's a lot of down time to do nothing with. Other posters have said most firefighters have extra jobs, just because it's easy to do so.  

• Love 1

Didn't like why Sylvie told Cruz' secret. Would have preferred that if she was going to be a flake and sell him out that it was because Cruz was good at what he did and she felt he shouldn't have to hide it. But she only told because she was acting like she was too good to date Cruz which made me like her even less than I already do.

Dawson and Mills, it reminds me of a time when I actually didn't mind Gabby...much.

Not feeling Mills' haircut.

Loved Severide's face when he realized yet again he was dealing with a totally crazy chick. Oh Severide. Look at your life, look at your choices. 

Edited by miracole

Severide told his wife he works 24 on and 48? off. That's a lot of down time to do nothing with. Other posters have said most firefighters have extra jobs, just because it's easy to do so.

I lived with a female fire fighter and she could go an entire month without working. Not only do they work every third day, they get so many vacation days and paid non-working days it's extremely easy to hold down a second job. The fire fighting can almost be a part time thing. Also, while it pays fairly well, and the benefits are good, it's probably not enough to live on if you're supporting a spouse and children.

• Useful 1

I lived with a female fire fighter and she could go an entire month without working. Not only do they work every third day, they get so many vacation days and paid non-working days it's extremely easy to hold down a second job. The fire fighting can almost be a part time thing. Also, while it pays fairly well, and the benefits are good, it's probably not enough to live on if you're supporting a spouse and children.

My brother in law same thing. His fire house works I think 2 day shifts, then 2 night shifts then four days off. So if you take a vacation where you take one 4 day shift off you actually get like 12 consecutive days off in a row.

• Useful 1

I thought this was continuing the upward movement of Chicago Fire Ep's. It was so bad up until couple of weeks ago I was getting ready to fire it. Agree with posters' that say "solid" if not great.

I am w/Mouch. Annulment. Annulment. Annulment. WTH? Whether she's crazy or not remains to be seen. But she definitely gives off the cray cray vibe. And w/out the dating part she has no idea about what it means to be married to a firefighter.  

Not feeling Mills' haircut.

So much WORD. I tweeted why does Mills now have the "Kid" of Kid N Play. That was a gimmick in the 80's. Never intended for real life purposes. He needs to get to a barber ASAP and get that fade, faded. Although still a cutie pie. Lol.

A longer cut of the cast and crew doing Cruzumba. The actor who plays Mouch looks very serious about it! LOL!

Loved this, thanks so much for the link.  Zumba looks like a lot of fun, not only good exercise but I good way to release the stress of the day.  I recommend it for firefighters.  Christian Stolte (Mouch) does look like he is putting his all into it, but Jesse Spencer (Casey) does not look into it at all.  I wondered if he such a superstar that they let him miss the rehearsals, not to his benefit. I thought of that because I remember the Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Mitchell) had a flash mob scene in Modern Family and said that instead of attending dance rehearsals the trainer came to his home. 

I am assuming the female trainer that joined Cruz was the real Zumba teacher.

Edited by MaryHedwig