Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: The Time Of Our Lives

WendyCR72

Why did Castle & Beckett get married in heaven? It looked like the final episode of LOST. Kind of disappointed.

Checking out the TV Line comments for some amusement I laughed when someone said it looked like they got married on another planet. 

• Love 3

Is this an actual screen shot from the episode? I guess it must be but it looks so much like a painted picture in all those overblown colours, bizarre or like something off the front of a romance novel! 

Yep it's actually from the ep. But agree it looks like a painted picture. Maybe that will be their new addition in the loft. Heh.

Did anyone else laugh at the giant picture of Martha in the office?

Yes! Another hilarious moment.

it looks so much like a painted picture in all those overblown colours, bizarre or like something off the front of a Hallmark romance novel!

Sad thing is that I've taken pics of sunsets over the Rockies and I've gotten really bold saturated pics, but it doesn't translate well at all on green screen. I can't wait for Shatner's reaction to it.

lol

William Shatner @WilliamShatner

#Castle even in the mirror universe Esposito is a hard ass wannabe

Seamus Dever @seamusdever

“@WilliamShatner: @seamusdever You know you are supposed to Live Tweet with the #Castle... ” Great, now Shatner's on my case. #Castle

• Love 2

Now the interesting bit - at least for me - after this is how will the writers portray a newlywed couple?  I have never been married or engaged but I've seen enough couples who have been to know that what I was seeing for the most part during their so called "honeymoon" period and engagement was nothing much like what I would expect from a couple in that situation aside from the odd stand out moments.  I want to see signs of deep affection, easy intimacy and passion and I wonder if long term the wedding is going to make any difference in terms of their approach?

Despite my deepening cynicism I want to believe that MilMar can deliver a realistic couple of newlyweds on to the screen. I want to see their joy, love and the sheer giddy behaviour that only a couple first married can deliver but I do have serious doubts they can achieve this. I fear they may grow even more hesitant as they have no more obvious relationship milestones to place as a barrier to their physical and emotional and interactions. Remember we still have more than half a season left of storytelling to get through so now I would suggest the serious hard work starts for the writing team to tighten up the COTW and try to maintain good quality Caskett interaction. 

Edited by verdana
Seamus Dever @seamusdever  ·  20m 20 minutes ago

“@jjohnson_1710: @seamusdever how can I get @NathanFillion to tweet me?” Say something about Firefly. That generally works.

He's on biting form tonight. 

Captain Beckett's card.

Juliana Dever @CleverDever  ·  35m 35 minutes ago

Little something I picked up while visiting the #Castle set during the AU ep. #BTS #stickyfingersDever

https://twitter.com/CleverDever/status/532059143998566400

• Love 1

Andrew W. Marlowe ‏@AndrewWMarlowe  22m22 minutes ago

#CaskettAtLast  #CaskettAtLast #CaskettAtLast  #CaskettAtLast So, hmmm. When are they going to have babies? (What? Too soon?)

Don't tease about this please. I want no encouragement in this direction, the wedding speculation then gets replaced by endless baby talk (with poor Stana probably facing the brunt of the badgering) which for me is a million time worse. 

I presume the lack of Lanie etc at the wedding is so they can do the big surprise announcement in the next episode looking at the beginning of that promo for #7.07.

Edited by verdana

Is anyone else a little disappointed?

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the AU part, it was so well done. Martha was amazing, and Fillion acted that part so well, I was actually grinning a few times. I loved that she finally told him about the book signing, all those little similarities to Season 1, but there was no transition at all from the "Will you marry me right now?" to the walking down the aisle.

I was so busy looking around--at the setup of the wedding, what everyone was wearing and their reactions--that when I had finally taken it all in, they were exchanging vows already. I realize an episode only has 42 minutes, but I wish there would have been something to ease us into the wedding. And kind of get us into the mood? My mind was still spinning from everything I'd just learned in the AU, and then they kind of bombarded me with such a huge moment and I just wasn't "ready" yet.

I love the wedding as a stand-alone, but I wish we had had some short introduction to it in the episode. Like a few lines between Beckett and her dad. 

That being said, I LOVED Beckett's outfit. It was exactly what I'd hoped for and the vows were so fitting; they were so them.

That pic of Stana & Nathan in theTVLine interview, which I assume is behind the scenes, is adorable.

Lots of moments where I giggled, but laughed out loud at Castle's attempted high five with Ryan during the interrogation. "Where were you at 4am?" "In bed with Beckett." <high five>

I live in LA and have seen my fair share of beautiful sunsets bordering on the surreal, but even I was incredibly distracted at that wedding scene.

Overall, though, I enjoyed the episode a lot.

• Love 1

I must admit I do like this enlarged picture of Castle and Beckett even though he's not looking to camera but I love the way he's laughing and how she's got her body turned into his with one hand on his chest, now if only someone could tone down those horrid colours. 

ETA Just realised that's the TV Line BTS picture, I love it, that's my favourite. 

Edited by verdana

but there was no transition at all from the "Will you marry me right now?" to the walking down the aisle.

I was so busy looking around--at the setup of the wedding, what everyone was wearing and their reactions--that when I had finally taken it all in, they were exchanging vows already. I realize an episode only has 42 minutes, but I wish there would have been something to ease us into the wedding. And kind of get us into the mood? My mind was still spinning from everything I'd just learned in the AU, and then they kind of bombarded me with such a huge moment and I just wasn't "ready" yet.

That's why I have mixed feelings about the episode. I feared the AU competing with the wedding would mean the characters wouldn't have time to breathe and have a moment to emotionally settle and get their bearings and be able to react to what was going on - and for that matter neither would the audience - who were equally getting propelled from one event to another. And that's exactly what happened.  One minute I was in the precinct and then next thing I'm whisked away to the Hamptons being bombarded by that green screen horror and my brain is still back in the precinct trying to process things. I agree that they could have used Jim as a bridge in some way to ease fans into it better and create a beat or two before plunging into the wedding itself. 

Edited by verdana

First, the ep far exceeded my new minimum viewer criteria, which is, "doesn't suck":-). My lowered expectations have made for an exceptionally good season in general so far. That said....

I appreciated the AU scenario wherein Castle/Nathan could exercise his physical comedy skills while not seeming like a doofus like he usually does. He was really fighting to win Beckett, which I found extremely romantic. As he was slinking around corners, my spouse pointed out that he looked like a velociraptor from Jurassic Park. Why yes, yes he did. Don't know if it was intentional, but nice touch.

The wedding, with its tacky fake sunset and weird foggy artificial blur was more distracting than romantic, but it served to remind me that, oh yeah, I'm still watching a low budget 10 pm TV show. Spouse was certain that the scene was a continuation of the dream. I keep waiting every week for Castle to wake up, still a captive of whoever grabbed him at the end of last season.

I liked that in the alternate universe, Beckett was successful on paper, but without Castle she never achieved what she would judge as real success, eg. finding her mom's killer, or REALLY solving cases. It made total sense to me that Castle had led an irresponsible playboy lifestyle, since it was Beckett who steered him on the straight path, made him a deeper thinker.

I'm a little bummed that while the writers hat-tipped season 1 they left out the "you have no idea" line, which is a personal favorite of mine.

The bar scene was a sad reminder of how poorly the PTB built up the romance once they got the couple together. Caskett should have had some romantic dates. So many missed opportunities in seasons 5 and 6, but that ship has already sailed. OK, now I'm shaking the negativity off in favor of my new (paragraph 1) criteria. I should be thankful that I can even find something entertaining to watch in the barren wasteland that is television.

One huge disappointment was that.....wait....shouldn't the knock in the head have brought back Castle's memory from the capture? ;-). Ah darn. A rule of TV tropism was sadly broken tonight. I'll cut some slack since overall I was highly entertained.

The episode was great all by itself. I sort of wish they could have ended with Castle's return to reality and saved the wedding as a high point to close a more boring day. They packed in a bit too much.

All in all, a worthwhile episode. More like this please!

Edited by TVWithPity
  • Love 1

turnitwayup, yes, black and white would be nice.  Imagine if they blew it up in colour and replaced the staircase photo with that heh.  As over the top as Martha's gigantic portrait, which did make me laugh as well.

Love the pic of Castle and Beckett/Nathan and Stana laughing together on TV Line either BTS or a scene edited out.  They look really happy and like they're enjoying themselves. Is it available anywhere in a bigger version?

Why did Castle & Beckett get married in heaven?

LOL.  It's not married til dealth and beyond!

Maybe they really tried, but I expect better CGI for a TV show in this day and age even if I don't expect feature quality.  If they knew they'd end up with something like this, they should have opted for a real location shoot.  I guess it's hard to shoot a sunset wedding on location because there's not enough time, but even a real daytime/nightime location shoot should have had better results than the CGI.

I guess "Finite Laughter" was a play on the novel "Infinite Jest".  Castle writing a book with that depressing title and hoping to get a Pulitzer with it did kind of make me laugh.

Got a kick of Pregnant Lanie's 2 second cameo too.  Might have been interesting if Ryan were gay in this universe, or with Esposito even.  I did like how even AU Ryan was a champion of Castle.

Smart of Castle not to unload everything he knew about Beckett to her.  That would have really creeped her out and probably not gotten him a date.  Would have liked seeing him give her just the right kind of coffee though.

"I thought that this was a date..."  So we finally get to see Castle and Beckett on a date!  First time in any universe! ;) Why can't we see them on more dates?  I don't mind if the dates double up as crime scenes or suspect locations, for budget reasons ;), I just want to see them out and about having fun.

Molly was good in this episode playing Alexis in a different but recognizable way.  Same with Stana and the subtle differences with Beckett. Susan Sullivan was good looking touched at the wedding.  I hope Martha auditions and wins the role and more storylines.

I liked how Castle never stays put in any universe.  LOL at him touching things and telling Beckett that he thought she liked that about him heh.  Props to Terri. There were a number of good one liners in the episode.

Edited by madmaverick

Re Loser Castle vs successful Beckett -- I believe that the point was supposed to be that without each other, both of them gave up and settled for less.  But in different ways.

Castle wrote one bad book coming off a slump (a slump we know about from the first episode, before the idea of Nikki Heat he was utterly blocked) -- and not his first bad book, he's talked before about some books pre-Storm that he was pretty embarrassed by.  But it's not just that the book was bad, it's that he thought it was amazing, his magnum opus, his proof to the world that he was more than 'just' a crime writer.  But it flopped and flopped miserably, cutting him to the core -- to the point where he wonders if he really is a writer after all, if he really is 'just' a writer of pulp crime fiction and his aspirations and beliefs that he was something more were delusions.  Maybe he would eventually have come out of that slump, but in the meantime, Alexis up and left.  That would have been the last straw and he gave up.

Beckett *appears* at first to be better off without Castle.  She's Captain!  That's exactly what they joked about at the beginning.  But once you look a little closer, you see that she also gave up.  She gave up on her mother's case, she gave up on believing that solving murders is what she was meant to be doing.  Just as Castle gave up on believing that he was a good writer, she gave up on believing that she was a good cop.  Even though she clearly had some skills in order to achieve captainship, it was a relief to her to become a paper-pusher because she never really felt comfortable as a cop.  

They both had ordinary lives.  Not abject failures -- just not as alive and not as fun as when they were together.

And it seemed that nearly everyone else was worse off as well -- Ryan didn't have Jenny, Lanie was pregnant and alone (and angry) and presumably Espo is the father and feels shut out from his child.  Alexis is bummed and ironic.  Only Martha is better off!

I just thought of something else this morning.  They did a great job with so many little touches of continuity in addressing the things that would be different.  But there's one big one they failed to mention -- Captain Montgomery!

Montgomery was killed because of Castle and Beckett digging around in her mom's case.  Without Castle, he would still be alive -- or would have been killed some other way.  It would have been quick and easy (and IMO quite powerful) if they'd had a quick mention, when she was talking about becoming Captain, of the previous Captain retiring, or being killed in action some other way, or just having a heart attack or a car accident.  The balance of the good and the bad from their having met each other (or not) is a fascinating topic to explore.

• Love 6

Nathan was great. Really enjoyed watching him sneak around the precinct. It wasa lot of fun.

The wedding. Cute and sweet. Could have done without that background but again smitten Castle saved it for me.

Enjoyed the episode even more after a second round since I knew how the wedding went down. I caught myself checking the time every once in a while. It was a bit distracting.

So the AU Castle was born 12/22/XX.

Loved Ryan. Hated Espo. This guy needs to get over whatever puts him in this pissy mood towards Castle.

• Love 2

I still can't get over how bad that CGI looked in certain of those scenes

While trying not to look at the sunset, I noticed Castle's hair looked wedding perfect. Was it like that on his way to the first wedding attempt?

...all those overblown colours, bizarre or like something off the front of a romance novel!

I think you may have hit upon exactly what they were going for: Slightly silly.

I presume the lack of Lanie etc at the wedding is so they can do the big surprise announcement in the next episode looking at the beginning of that promo for #7.07.

Looks like it. I actually really liked that it was just family at the wedding. I like Ryan/Espoo/Lanie more than Alexis but it felt more intimate this way. Closer to what they talked about last season when they only needed each other there.

That BTS picture is no longer at that link, is it somewhere else.

• Love 1

They look so happy there, and a good fit physically.  Now someone's just got to photoshop the officiant and his leg out of the pic heh.  

The show really lucked out when they got Nathan and Stana to play these characters and bring alive their love story.  

Loved them saying "Hi" to each other before the vows.

My favourite parts of the vows:

"You taught me to be my best self."

"When I was vulnerable, you were strong."

"You taught me more about myself than I knew there was to learn."

Also, loved them promising to be each other's friend, 'cause that is so important, and to be each other's "partner in life and in crime".

I'm really glad that they allowed enough screentime for the vows not to feel rushed and overly brief.  The actors were allowed enough time for their lines to breathe and they delivered them so well and made the emotion of the moment sink in.  I loved Nathan's tender tone during the vows.  It was his S3 L.A. hotel room voice when he told Beckett he was still amazed at the depths of her strength and her heart.

Nathan looked good in a black suit with a white shirt.  Sharper than in dark, dull plaids all the time.  Stana looked good in white too.  They should get to wear that colour, and lighter colours in general more often.

Nice score for the wedding by Robert Duncan too.  Wasn't too overpowering or saccharine.

Re Loser Castle vs successful Beckett -- I believe that the point was supposed to be that without each other, both of them gave up and settled for less.  But in different ways.

Tankgirl, you made some good points.  You're right, they both 'gave up' and that was sad to see.  It was balanced in the sense that neither had truly fulfilling lives.  I do absolutely believe that Castle and Beckett push each other to be better, both professionally and personally.  At the same time, I've always felt a 'never give up' attitude, a resilience (what Castle found extraordinary in Beckett) and in Castle's case, an ability to bounce back, was part of the characters' core DNA even before they met.  So while I guess Castle's career trajectory was possible given the events of the AU, I'm not sure it would have been the most probable one.  But I guess if he didn't suffer more setbacks the AU could have been less compelling.  

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 2

AUBeckett was portrayed exactly as I would expect if Castle hadn't come into her life albeit it a little more glamorous than I expected. She was cool, professional, remote at times, driven, excelling in her career, they ticked all the boxes, her mother's case still unresolved of course glad they remembered to show her pulling out the ring another call back to S1 and the life she lost.  It was nice to see them gradually finding their rhythm and clicking together as the case unfolded. 

I feel bad for AU Beckett thinking she was never meant to be a detective because of not solving her mom's case and not liking all the politics of being captain.  Interesting that they reference that here but in last year's time travel episode they refer to her becoming senator.

Every time they showed AU Beckett in her office, I wanted AU Castle to break open her elephant and solve her mother's murder!!

Edited by betsyboo
  • Love 2

Oh yes thank you! I'll be saving that. I have just found another enlarged shot but the quality is not so good obviously, I think it's a lovely picture of them even if its a BTS pic.  

That one posted by turnitwayup is lovely too.

Also, loved them promising to be each other's friend, 'cause that is so important, and to be each other's "partner in life and in crime".

Couldn't agree more with you madmaverick you need to be a good friend too that's so important. I'm glad Terri included that. 

Nice score for the wedding by Robert Duncan too.  Wasn't too overpowering or saccharine.

I didn't notice it too much but that's a good thing because sometimes that's all I can hear, music should support and enhance the moment and it did that. 

Every time they showed AU Beckett in her office, I wanted AU Castle to break open her elephant and solve her mother's murder!!

I saw quite a few fans mention this on tumblr, I had totally forgotten about that. 

Edited by verdana

I liked this episode a lot but must admit that in the back of my mind I was wondering if doing the AU was “jumping the shark” into Fringe territory.

What I didn’t like was that this Castle essentially got AU Castle killed and on his return didn’t give it another thought. That’s all very well for him because he jumped back into a living body, but the AU Castle no longer has one and so must die for real. Seeing that the AU Castle has a daughter and Mother too, Castle messed up the AU real bad in order to get his ‘affirmation’ that life together with Beckett was better than without. The writers could have done without having to wring out a big “gives his life for Beckett" scene, IMO.

Edited by Trek
  • Love 1

I loved it when he took her out for a drink, even if he did have an ulterior motive. I don't how many times since they met have I've wanted to see them doing every day things like going to bar at the end of a long day, having a drink and discussing their lives (or more likely a case). 

madmaverick. Here is a black and white version of that shot, it's quite the same in format but still pretty good. 

How to Cut a Cantaloupe, a guide by Kate Beckett. Makes me smile, like her reaction in the top gif. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

Loved Ryan. Hated Espo. This guy needs to get over whatever puts him in this pissy mood towards Castle.

I always love Ryan. Espo is an annoying arse even in an alternate universe, amazing.

Looks like it. I actually really liked that it was just family at the wedding. I like Ryan/Espoo/Lanie more than Alexis but it felt more intimate this way. Closer to what they talked about last season when they only needed each other there.

Seems from the promo they're telling someone in the loft, so did they invite everyone around for drinks and nibbles to announce the news?  Not long to find out. 

Yes, thank you! That's a really great shot of them.

Me too! What would have been cool is if Beckett made the comment about not solving her case in her office, then have Castle look at the elephants or something. Speaking of.....does Kate have them back on her desk in the real Castle-verse?

Loved them saying "Hi" to each other before the vows.

My favourite parts of the vows:

"You taught me to be my best self."

"When I was vulnerable, you were strong."

"You taught me more about myself than I knew there was to learn."

I liked those parts as well, I think it is good that they recognize how good the other has been for them. The hi exchange was also sweet just because it seemed like they were so in love and excited. I'm glad that after everything that happened they were still excited for it.

• Love 1
How to Cut a Cantaloupe, a guide by Kate Beckett. Makes me smile, like her reaction in the top gif.

Haha.  My first thought when I saw that scene was that no one cuts a cantaloupe like that!  Dangerous not to hold on to it as you chop because it'll just roll anywhere.  But I guess the shot looked better doing it this way.

I loved it when he took her out for a drink

Me too.  I loved when she said she thought it was a date heh.  She was already ready to admit that much.  Good going, Castle. :P  Made me think of what would have happened if they had gotten together for dinner to "debrief" after their first case in the pilot.  I'd love to see them on dates now, though perhaps not in a sports bar.  Even Remy's would be nice.  Just somewhere where we can see them enjoy each other's company in a fun and romantic way.  They're married now but we still basically have no idea what they like to do with each other in their down time.  Other than fonting of course. :P

Speaking of drinking, still can't get over Jim Beckett drinking what looks like champagne!  How could writers/production have missed that?!  And is Alexis old enough to be drinking in the States?  I guess they could make an exception for her Dad's wedding, but not in the case of Jim!

madmaverick. Here is a black and white version of that shot, it's quite the same in format but still pretty good.

Thanks.  I thought the stills they released after the ep were pretty nice to look at.  I love the ones with a closer up of their faces with foreheads touching.  THey do that move so well.  I'd have liked a close up shot like that of both their faces at the very end before pulling back to a full body shot.

I really hope they can recapture some of that honeymoon mood in the next episode that they kept on going on about after they first got together but which I never saw onscreen.  Here's an opportunity to do it right.  I want to see some cute, excited, sexy, passionate newlywed vibes!

Castle's mugshot face.  Haha.  Does he sing "Let it Go" in the shower and does it give Beckett nightmares? :P

Oh, and I wondered if they drove together to the Hamptons?  Or did Beckett let Castle drive down there by himself again?  If I were them, I wouldn't let each other out of sight until the wedding!  Between car crashes and getting sucked into alternate universes, I'd take the bad luck of seeing the bride before the wedding and stick to each other like glue.

I'm glad that after everything that happened they were still excited for it.

I'm glad I could be excited for it and enjoy it after everything.  They've had their missteps but I'm glad the writers got the pivotal getting together and the getting married moments right.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

Speaking of drinking, still can't get over Jim Beckett drinking what looks like champagne! How could writers/production have missed that?! And is Alexis old enough to be drinking in the States? I guess they could make an exception for her Dad's wedding, but not in the case of Jim!

I don't know when Alexis's birthday is, but she's probably not 21 yet. However, plenty of people let their college-age children have a glass of champagne for celebratory type things.

Oh, and I wondered if they drove together to the Hamptons? Or did Beckett let Castle drive down there by himself again? If I were them, I wouldn't let each other out of sight until the wedding!

Ha, I thought the same thing. I would love a fanfic with everything that happened in between the proposal and the ceremony.

Still, to those complaining about the background, I am with you. I'm sure it was meant to be pretty, but it just looked like baddish CGI, to me.

Not only did it look like bad CGI, it gave the feeling of being part of a fantasy world or something.  I found myself wondering if Castle was still having a concussion-induced dream and maybe the wedding didn't really happen.  I guess it was supposed to be real, but that background made it seem unreal.

I liked Castle's goofy mugshot in the dream/parallel universe.

Also liked the "Finite Laughter"/"Infinite Jest" reference.

Speaking of drinking, still can't get over Jim Beckett drinking what looks like champagne! How could writers/production have missed that?! And is Alexis old enough to be drinking in the States? I guess they could make an exception for her Dad's wedding, but not in the case of Jim!

Yeah there should've been another bottle on the little table with the bouquet with clearly a different label of sparkling cider/grape juice for Jim after the shot of the champagne being put into the ice bucket. As for Alexis drinking, she had a glass at the end of Driven and Castle was proud of her for having a hangover after grad night. Didn't he also offer a glass of champagne to 15 yr old Alexis doing homework at the Storm Fall party? So Castle is sort of similar parent to my mom. Offer drinks to us at home but is alway willing to pick my sister and her friends up at a hs party so none of them are driving drunk home.

I'm always so bored with wedding scenes regardless of how much I like the characters so I was pleased they went this fast and furious route.  It was just enough - more and I would have fast forwarded.  I wonder if that green screen fail was deliberate to add to the surreal nature of the entire episode -  

It was a cute episode (and, I never use the word "cute" in this context) - lightweight and sweet.

The episode was just ok for me, I mean after watching the episode twice I still dont get the AU part. Did Castle hit his head or what? Another small nitpick would it have killed Castle and Becket to have Lanie Esposito and Ryan there, those three are Castle and Becketts best friends.

Edited by tvnerd

I wasn't a huge fan of the episode, but, mostly, I'm just glad the wedding is done and we can move. on. Like so many here, I'm curious now to see how these two are written as a married couple.  

Most of my issues have already been mentioned (WTF was that green screen background meant to be the Hamptons? Wow. Atrocious doesn't begin to describe it.), but I also have to add that, once again, I wasn't a fan of "In My Veins" being "their song." I loved it in the context of "Always," but have never thought it to be a good song for their song. Eh. I understand why they picked it (back in season 6 and again now), but I'll never agree with the choice. lol

I loved Castle's mugshot in his NYPD file. Did we ever see it in FFYG? It felt perfectly right to have him look that way based on the shenanigans Beckett describes in the pilot. ;) 

Now who's ready for some Wild Wild West action? ::raises BOTH hands:: 

Edited by S55
  • Love 1

I also have to add that, once again, I wasn't a fan of "In My Veins" being "their song." I loved it in the context of "Always," but have never thought it to be a good song for their song.

I think Bastille's Poet would've made a great wedding song while Magic Man's Catherine kinda fit with the AU aspect.

Does he sing "Let it Go" in the shower and does it give Beckett nightmares? :P

I thought it was funny when Castle said he would never sing "Let It Go" as a duet, finding it unbelievable. I imagined he sings it all the time as a solo and gets mad if anyone joins him and that includes Beckett and especially his mother.

Moody, LOL, that's a funny scenario that I can imagine.  At least Castle pronounced Idina Menzel correctly heh.

One other thing I enjoyed was the theory-building scene in the AU.  You could see the chemistry building and even AU Beckett couldn't ignore it.  I hope they keep giving us these sorts of theory-building as foreplay scenes after they are married because they are important to the rhythm of the show and Caskett.

I honestly don't have any expectations they'll write Caskett any differently after they are married because I think they are more or less set in how they write Caskett as a couple (and some writers definitely write them better than others!).  I just hope to see some of the honeymoon vibe in the next episode at least and hopefully beyond because they missed out on that a lot after they first got together.  Who knows, maybe we'll finally get some conversations about money, apartments, future dreams and other topics that newlyweds discuss (really should have discussed long ago).

Most of the things I wanted to discuss have been brought up, except...

Esposito, watch the effin' road, man! I hate it when characters don't watch the road when they're driving on TV, but he was exceptionally egregious in this episode. Like, he barely made an attempt to look straight ahead, he was turned almost completely around in the driver seat.

Anyway. Castle's little AU, "what if" dream sequence was clearly meant to show that nobody was better off by him not meeting Beckett. As evidenced by the It's a Wonderful Life reference at the beginning of the episode. (And if you haven't seen it, watch it. But not until after Thanksgiving. Well... it might be my one exception to that rule.) Beckett was better off only at first glance.

Oh, boy, did this episode prove why starring couples in TV shows should absolutely not get together? The flirty, playful, antagonistic chemistry between Castle and Beckett was at a higher level in this episode than we've seen in years. 

I was also amused that it took an alternate universe to give Castle's family purpose again. It's been a long time since they were anything more than background scenery. 

Was anyone else waiting for Laney to walk up to Ryan and give him a kiss in this AU? I know it wouldn't have fit the theme of the episode, but when Esposito was giving her looks I thought that's where they were taking it.

I thought it was funny when Castle said he would never sing "Let It Go" as a duet, finding it unbelievable. I imagined he sings it all the time as a solo and gets mad if anyone joins him and that includes Beckett and especially his mother.

I know.  Like, he wasn't offended by the getting arrested naked part, or even singing "Let It Go."  It was the duet part that got to him.

One other thing I enjoyed was the theory-building scene in the AU.  You could see the chemistry building and even AU Beckett couldn't ignore it.  I hope they keep giving us these sorts of theory-building as foreplay scenes after they are married because they are important to the rhythm of the show and Caskett.

We have already had a couple good theory building scenes this seasons, so I am hoping that is a good sign.

So, how do you think other characters will react to the wedding?  My guess is Espo will act pissed off he wasn't invited, Lanie will be excited but make a snappy remark about wanting to be there, and Ryan will be legitimately happy for them.  Gates probably won't get a reaction.

I was also amused that it took an alternate universe to give Castle's family purpose again. It's been a long time since they were anything more than background scenery. 

Definitely felt like old times even with the change in decor! Seeing him interact with Martha and Alexis in the way that he did to further advance the main story was great. They looked like a genuine family for a change rather than the usual walk on role that Susan gets given to utter a line and disappear and having Molly pop up for some usually awkwardly forced scene so they can use up her required appearances for the season.  

• Love 1

623 was so problematic that I really appreciated not being pissed off at the end of this one! I found the AU story engaging and the wedding, if brief, at least not too antic.

I'm one of the very few not particularly bothered by the green screen work at the end, because I was just mostly glad that it meant it was being shot in the visible light spectrum! If they had staged the ceremony at the precinct or the loft, we would have been peering through the murk without being sure that it was actually Castle and Beckett reciting the vows.

• Love 1

So, how do you think other characters will react to the wedding?  My guess is Espo will act pissed off he wasn't invited, Lanie will be excited but make a snappy remark about wanting to be there, and Ryan will be legitimately happy for them.  Gates probably won't get a reaction.

Pretty much this but it would make a nice change if Espo is not a jerk for once and is happy for them. I'm so over that guy and his pissy attitude. 

Great episode. Loved it from beginning to end. It hit all the right notes (apart from the "heaven wedding", but that's a minor nitpick), everybody felt connected, and everybody was at the top of their game.

NF brings so much to the table if he really cares. It completely changes the energy of the episode. More of that, please.

• Love 2