Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: The Time Of Our Lives

WendyCR72

A murder investigation launches Castle into what seems to be an alternate universe where he's never met Kate Beckett. Castle has to convince Beckett, Esposito and Ryan -- now complete strangers -- to let him participate in their investigation so he can find his way back to his own world. This inspires Castle & Beckett to finally take a trip to the altar.

Up over a week early, but that way, I won't forget later on!

Congrats to the Caskett 'shippers here! I actually watched after 3 years off tonight out of curiosity, and while I do admit the wedding was nice, it seemed mighty rushed to me. But I guess the content of it is what matters.  :-)

Still, to those complaining about the background, I am with you. I'm sure it was meant to be pretty, but it just looked like baddish CGI, to me.

As for the rest...if you like Alice down the rabbithole stuff, this was fine.

So we waited six long years and here are those vows, was it worth the wait for everyone?

The moment that I met you, my life became extraordinary. You taught me to be my best self, to look forward to tomorrow’s adventures. And when I was vulnerable, you were strong. I love you Richard Castle and I want to live my life in the warmth of your smile and the strength of your embrace. I promise you that I will love you, I will be your friend, and your partner in crime and in life. Always. Kate Beckett.

The moment we met my life became extraordinary. You taught me more about myself than I knew there was to learn, you are the joy in my heart you are the last person I want to see every night when I close my eyes. I love you Katherine Beckett and the mystery of you is the one I want to spend the rest of my life exploring. I promise to love you, to be your friend and your partner in crime and life till death to us part and for the time of our lives. Richard Castle

I think that Marlowe and his team of writers are very lucky to have Stana Katic and Nathan Fillion on the payroll, it's those two that create the magic which makes the show something I continue to enjoy watching.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2

It was cheesy and all that goes with it, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't smiling the whole time.

It's too bad they hyped the wedding so much, because all I could think while I watching was "when are they getting him back to the present for the wedding??". I think it overshadowed what could have been an interesting case, if I wasn't so distracted by the promise of a wedding. I'll have to watch again.

Liked going back to the Hamptons. I don't mind the green screen, because they probably didn't have the time/the location to go back to the house.

My first thought was critiquing the pantsuit, but it grew on me. I like the cutout. And then I noticed there was no Ryan/Espo/Lanie ... but it looks like they're going to address that next week. :)

Next week looks awesome.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 2

I LOVED THIS EPISODE!!!!!!! 

AU Castle and Beckett felt like season one .. in case, chemistry, interaction, and supporting characters. 

Beckett looked BEAUTIFUL and I'm so glad Terri/Luke decided against putting her in a full wedding dress. Oscar de la Renta jacket and Carolina Herrera .. a perfect combo. I said the vows would make or break the episode for me and they did .. they made it! Beautiful!!! 

Small nitpick? The green screen wasn't good. Glad that little nitpick was my only one. 

• Love 5

So they did go back to the Hamptons. Ha!

That fake sunset will remain tragic, it hurt my eyes, couldn't the budget stretch to finding a real one?

I thought whilst he was saying his vows yes he really is ruggedly handsome.

Kate wore pants to her wedding...I did not see that coming at all.

Kind of cheesy at the end but then most TV weddings usually are for me. It felt rushed but then that was always going to be the problem when you tack an event like this on to the end of case with no real build up so the characters can't really stop and breathe.

Best bit of the ceremony for me wasn't the vows (although they were delivered well) it was the look he gives Beckett when she whispers in his ear that "it's perfect" and you see how much that means to him given her comment earlier on about she's not ready for "someone else's perfect day" - that did get to my cold dead heart.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2

Her ex Will's wedding was a good way to introduce their regrets about the non-wedding, and Castle's concern for Kate's happiness.

The wedding looked VERY rushed and yes the background sunset in the Hamptons looked very faux. I'm kinda shocked that Ryan and Esposito weren't there.The vows were in keeping with the themes of the show, and I liked their dance with their song. 

The parallel universe was funny, interesting, and unbelievable (like why Alexis lives 'with Mom.')

Susan Sullivan for the win. She was fantastic the whole episode.

"You were robbed of that third Tony!" / "You dear sweet boy" - I loved the Ryan/Martha love in.

Nice father/daughter moment better bonding in the AU sadly than I've seen for sometime on the show.

Disappointed with Jim Beckett's walk on roll did the guy even speak?  That seemed like a total waste of the actor and a also a gilt edged opportunity to have him interact with Castle as the future son in law which would have been great. We see so little of Jim Beckett in their lives and I guess we won't be seeing him again for a long time after that.

Castle doesn't meet Kate and his life seems to suck pretty much, he's unsuccessful and financially strapped for cash - that was annoying and very predictable I was disappointed by that from Terri.

Castle grimacing over the crappy coffee. Season 1 call back !

From beginning to end, I loved it. I haven't liked an episode of Castle this much since The Lives of Others. Yeah, the green screen at the end could have been better, but that's a nitpick of mine.

I think the case and the Caskett chemistry was very reminiscent of early seasons of Castle. I'm happy with how it all turned out.

• Love 6

The wedding did feel a bit rushed, but I was smiling the entire time.  I thought the vows were perfect, I loved that it was just family, and I liked the song at the end.  I did feel a bit bad for the actor who plays Beckett's dad.  He finally gets to come back and gets no lines.

The AU stuff was all really interesting, I liked how Stana played a slightly different Beckett interacting with Castle, and liked the chemistry between them.  The only thing I wanted was for Castle to ask real Beckett if she ever went to one of his book signings.

The thing with the fake sunset.....The Hamptons are on the east coast.  The sun sets in the west.  I guess there may be places where the land curves, but still.  It's like elementary school geography.

• Love 4

"maybe I wasn’t good enough for her." Huh? I guess they think it's romantic or something but him sudden coming over all insecure about this presence in her life and how he might not be good for her annoyed me, thought it was a bit much.  

Beckett FINALLY confessing she loved his books and went to his book signing!!! 

Castle was right Sorenson was boring and Kate never denied it either.  I always remember that line he gave her Yin-Yang is harmony; Yin-Yin is... a panda when talking about her and Mr Square Jawed and Serious.

"Stay in the car Castle" - I appreciate the call back to a S1 feel with that line, there was quite a lot of nice early season vibes between them and I sure miss those days so that was good to revisit pity they can't bring it back.

Although Kate is probably a little too young to be a Captain in RL I did get a kick out of hearing her called that.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I thought the vows were beautiful and perfect.  Just the right amount of sass, on the edge of being sappy without fully crossing over into goofiness.

(Though, yes, the background and the lighting were distractingly bad.)

WendyCR72 it was indeed rushed, but in the context, it was supposed to be.  If you haven't seen the lead-up to it you wouldn't know why.  Frankly, I prefer a quick and meaningful wedding than stretching it out over another half-season of re-picking invitations and re-picking venues and re-doing everything again.

I also thought the 'alternate universe' was tremendous fun.  I'm willing to hand-wave the improbability of it -- assuming it was all a dream, how did he know the culprits?  Whatever, TV, timey wimey, fun enough to give it a pass.  Did we all catch that AU Beckett told him about the time she waited in line to get his autograph and how much his books meant to her?  Something we've been waiting for for, you know, 6 years?  One speculation has been that she has told him in the meantime, just off screen -- that it's not a big enough deal to show.  But no -- she tells him in the dream/AU and he says "you never told me that."  So, 1) he doesn't know and 2) how did he know if it was just a dream?  I was really hoping that would come up in their conversation afterwards, to confirm it with *real* Beckett, to get his actual reaction to that beautiful thing with her for realzies.

I was blissfully unspoiled about this episode.  I knew it was an AU where they never met but that's all.  I'd heard that the wedding might be coming up this week or next but I didn't see all the hype so I wasn't actually sure it was happening tonight.  :)  

Why must you always touch things?  I thought you liked that about me!

Pregnant Lanie evil-eyeing Espo, i confess, made me chortle.  I LOL'ed quite a lot, much more than usual as of late.  

Everyone was giving their A game and clearly having fun.  And hey, Beckett as Captain meant no Gates!

• Love 1

Great episode.  The AU was a lot of fun and displayed what's so great about the Castle and Beckett relationship.  The wedding was short but they pulled it off very well.  The CGI background though was glaringly fake.

The thing with the fake sunset.....The Hamptons are on the east coast.  The sun sets in the west.  I guess there may be places where the land curves, but still.  It's like elementary school geography.

Castle's house in on the inland side, so it would be easier to get something like a sunset if there's part where the land curves.

Having Castle in an unbuttoned dress shirt should be a requirement for every episode.

• Love 1

The interrogation scene made me think of A Deadly Game, that was one of my favourite episodes and yes Rick's spot on her hair was adorable back then. 

Disappointed that her hair was pretty much the same though, I would have liked something different even if they obviously couldn't have it shorter but I guess it would have been rather difficult filming wise as they rarely do things in order.

And what's with all this "I left you at the altar" business? No he didn't LEAVE her, he got run off the road in his car and taken. Jesus.

The opening scene with Castle and Beckett in the loft was good.This is precisely the kind of casual, loved up intimacy I want to see. The way she drapes her arm casually around his shoulder, her staring up at him lovingly, him leaning down to her (the height difference is adorable)  and a good solid kiss to round it off. I didn't even mind the phone interruption, more of this kind of thing please, especially now they're married. 

• Love 3
And what's with all this "I left you at the altar" business? No he didn't LEAVE her, he got run off the road in his car and taken. Jesus.

He got run off the road, but then he was somehow convinced to drop off that money and stay away.  He even refers to leaving her in his video from Montreal. There was an obvious reason, but that was the end result.  I think that's just to show he feels guilty about it, even though it's not his fault.  He can't remember what happened to him, so he can't feel bad about that.  He's mainly feeling bad about the impact it had on everyone else.

Castle's house in on the inland side, so it would be easier to get something like a sunset if there's part where the land curves.

Yes, it's possible, I just think it's funny that they did so much fake green screen work when it wasn't really necessary when you consider the setting.  But t guess they didn't want to film on a real ocean so spoiler pictures wouldn't get out.  Or they used up their budget redecorating the loft.

• Love 3

He got run off the road, but then he was somehow convinced to drop off that money and stay away.  He even refers to leaving her in his video from Montreal. There was an obvious reason, but that was the end result.  I think that's just to show he feels guilty about it, even though it's not his fault.  He can't remember what happened to him, so he can't feel bad about that.  He's mainly feeling bad about the impact it had on everyone else.

Yep. He missed their wedding when he got snatched and kept for 2 months for something he did but he can't remember. Dude's going to feel guilty, even if it's not his fault.

• Love 1

The whole purpose of an AU episode I thought was for a character to experience something in the AU that causes them to go on an emotional journey, they have an epiphany of some kind and once back in the "real" world they take action. The idea that Castle needed additional motivation to get married was bizarre, lest we forget he's the one that wanted to get married in 7.02 in the first place straight away it was Kate that put the breaks on. So he still wants to get married right now - no change there then. 

The story would have been more powerful and made better sense if it had been Kate going through this experience not Castle. She should have been the one saying lets seize the day and get hitched and explaining why now was the right time. Not him. I wish they had given her a chance to say something rather than just cut her off and then they're at the Hamptons, I really felt the rush to get a move on there in that moment when he came out of the AU, both bits of the story suffered in various ways because there just wasn't enough time to pace things out properly. 

AUBeckett was portrayed exactly as I would expect if Castle hadn't come into her life albeit it a little more glamorous than I expected. She was cool, professional, remote at times, driven, excelling in her career, they ticked all the boxes, her mother's case still unresolved of course glad they remembered to show her pulling out the ring another call back to S1 and the life she lost.  It was nice to see them gradually finding their rhythm and clicking together as the case unfolded.

AUCastle was no surprise either based on the various interviews from TPTB prior to it airing. I don't like their interpretation of him much these days. The ladies man aspect I was okay with - that seemed credible. However, prior to this episode I said it would be insulting to promote the idea that either one of them would become failures in their respective careers due to the absence of the other but unfortunately they went there with Castle. I wish they hadn't. 

Just realised that poor Ryan has no Jenny or Sarah Grace. 

Edited by verdana

Also? AU Beckett asks where they met, Castle tells her, and she says he met w a Det. McNulty. FYI/FYE: McNulty was the name of the character that was cast originally (pilot) but for whatever reason they didn't go ahead w. Thus we got Det. Ryan aka Seamus Dever. 

Edited by Samantha84
  • Love 3

Taking away the dodgy CGI *shudder* I did like that we finally got her telling him about reading his books. Been waiting for that since Season One. Next week's episode looks like a hoot (expect no less with TPW writing).

The idea that Castle needed additional motivation to get married was bizarre, lest we forget he's the one that wanted to get married in 7.02 in the first place straight away it was Kate that put the breaks on. So he still wants to get married right now - no change there then.

I think the idea was that back then he wanted to get married because he was feeling desperate to get back to normal.  And here he wanted to get married because he just wanted to be here.

I feel bad for AU Beckett thinking she was never meant to be a detective because of not solving her mom's case and not liking all the politics of being captain.  Interesting that they reference that here but in last year's time travel episode they refer to her becoming senator.

Is it bad that I've rewatched the wedding scene like three times already?

• Love 1

Also? AU Beckett asks where they met, Castle tells her, and she says he met w a Det. McNulty. FYI/FYE: McNulty was the name of the character that was cast originally (pilot) but for whatever reason they didn't go ahead w. Thus we got Det. Ryan aka Seamus Dever.

Plus, pre-pilot Lanie was supposed to be a pregnant southern belle. In this universe we just get a pregnant Lanie.

However, prior to this episode I said it would be insulting to promote the idea that either one of them would become failures in their respective careers due to the absence of the other but unfortunately they went there with Castle. I wish they hadn't.

Is it not believable for Castle, though? No Beckett equals no Nikki Heat, so he never gets out of his writing slump after he kills Derek Storm. What's a guy to do?

Edited by McManda
  • Love 7

Her pant suit arrangement grew on me after the initial huh? I like that they kept her hair simple and tied back with was good and not distracting with any extra adornments. I hate fussy bits and pieces everywhere. Nathan looked good, kind of surprised he was wearing his shirt unbuttoned at first but it suited the vibe they were going for and he looked well rested and engaged in the moment. 

Not the wedding many dreamed of for our DD but it was great!!! Castle and Beckett's vows took my breath away. They looked so much in love.

It's been a long and winding road but in the end I feel my heart is restored and my spirit lifted. I waited a long time for this and was not disappointed.

Congratulations to Stana and Nathan. Best in the business. 

• Love 4

Plus, pre-pilot Lanie was supposed to be a pregnant southern belle. In this universe we just get a pregnant Lanie.

Is it not believable for Castle, though? No Beckett equals no Nikki Heat, so he never gets out of his writing slump after he kills Derek Storm. What's a guy to do?

Create another character who is not Nikki Heat and still be a success? I agree that the "Castle never met Beckett, so he is a professional loser" angle irritated me. A lot. Beckett was harder, but she was still shown to be a smart savvy detective. So why couldn't the same courtesy be afforded to Castle?

• Love 4

I enjoyed it.  Both the AU and the wedding.  The vows were better than I expected, and came across as heartfelt, and the actors hit the emotional notes.  Only crossed a bit into cheesy when Castle mentioned "time of our lives" (episode title).  I think an Always from him would have been nice as well but guess they wanted something different after Beckett had said it.

Castle did look ruggedly handsome at the wedding, but I loved the way he was looking at Beckett most of all.  Beckett wearing a pantsuit did kind of make sense as she does wear the pants in the relationship :P and it did fit the character, but I didn't swoon over the final wedding "dress" either.

Happy to see them back at the Hamptons.  That was a pleasant surprise.  The background was truly tragic though lol.  I would have preferred real blue skies as a backdrop on a real lawn or beach somewhere than that kind of fake looking set and background.  Thankfully the actors were doing a good job in the scene to distract me from it.

Jim Beckett looking like he was drinking champagne with the others was the other nitpick.  Don't know if this is a minority opinion or not, but I've never particularly warmed to this actor so I didn't mind much that he had no lines and not much of a role.

Delve into the AU stuff later.  I did enjoy all the references and seeing this kind of new/old Caskett dynamic.  Castle's life in the AU didn't bug me as much as I thought it might.  Castle had some lovely moments with Martha & Alexis in the episode, and some funny ones with the boys.

Nathan did a good job with the physical comedy of slinking all around the precinct.  He did play a 'fish out of water' well.

Nathan did some nice physical comedy in the episode with all the slinking around at the precinct. 

I feel bad for AU Beckett thinking she was never meant to be a detective because of not solving her mom's case and not liking all the politics of being captain.  Interesting that they reference that here but in last year's time travel episode they refer to her becoming senator.

I'm sure you're not the only one who is re-watching that final scene KaveDweller.

I never liked Time Will Tell with the Senator reveal. I liked the conversation she had there with him and you saw her dejection and disappointment, sad but felt realistic.

Create another character who is not Nikki Heat and still be a success? I agree that the "Castle never met Beckett, so he is a professional loser" angle irritated me. A lot. Beckett was harder, but she was still shown to be a smart savvy detective. So why couldn't the same courtesy be afforded to Castle?

I don't think it was really about his writing skills though.  They had that conversation with Alexis where she said Castle just gave up after his book got bad reviews.  So, it wasn't so much that he wasn't still a talented writer (because a good writer could have one bad book), but that Beckett didn't inspire him to keep trying to do better.

• Love 6

7.06 years for that? Wow. 

But from the shallow end: Were we to assume that Beckett salvaged some lace from her mother's sooty gown and had the little jacket made? That, plus Martha's earrings, was the only thing I really liked about the whole thing, so I hope my assumption is correct. 

• Love 1

Exactly. 

Even if it wasn't outside the bounds of possibility he could have stumbled for a while with no Nikki Heat I like to assume he would have found further success (and inspiration) from elsewhere given his history. The idea that he's been unable to find any fresh ideas or inspiration simply because of the lack of Beckett didn't ring true. There are lots of writers who maintain their success with different franchises some running simultaneously no reason to think he couldn't do the same. 

Castle was a successful writer before he met Kate (as his 22 best sellers prior to their relationship prove) and Beckett was an excellent cop without Castle. I know they wouldn't suggest Beckett couldn't continue to be a good cop and solve cases without Castle in her life, that would have garnered understandable criticism in many quarters. So why do it to Castle? Not cool.

Edited by verdana

So we waited six long years and here are those vows, was it worth the wait for everyone?

...I promise to love you, to be your friend and your partner in crime and life till death to us part...

Yes, thank you, except I wanted to put a slight pause after "crime" followed by "fighting" with a hint of a wink before continuing on to the conclusion.

I forgive the seemingly unchanging sunset because there really were sunsets like that this summer--well, sunrises where I live.

Anyway, best wedding ever for me--real or fictional. And perfect for the characters, including the alt-verse portion of the episode that led up to it, because campy scifi is the place where Nathan Fillion's characters shine.

"Mrs. Castle."

Which sounded right after all the "Mr. Castle"s in the alt-verse.

Create another character who is not Nikki Heat and still be a success? I agree that the "Castle never met Beckett, so he is a professional loser" angle irritated me....

Didn't bother me because it was Castle's dream. He was subconsciously telling himself that he couldn't live without her. Of course, I grew up hearing that my now 90-year-old father told his best friend when he met my 86-year-old mother 68 years ago that he would never be happy without her, so maybe I'm projecting. Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

Great episode.  The AU was a lot of fun and displayed what's so great about the Castle and Beckett relationship.  The wedding was short but they pulled it off very well.  The CGI background though was glaringly fake.

Yea it was O_o. It was rather distracting. The wedding was nice though. Thought the kiss might have been faked though :(. But I think it might have been due to the distance/the way it was shot.

Castle was a successful writer before he met Kate (as his 22 best sellers prior to their relationship prove) and Beckett was an excellent cop without Castle. I know they wouldn't suggest Beckett couldn't continue to be a good cop and solve cases without Castle in her life, that would have garnered understandable criticism in many quarters. So why do it to Castle? Not cool.

But they changed AU Beckett, too. She was a good cop - she closed her case - but she wasn't the same Beckett that was satisfied with the ending. Castle changed Beckett to want to find the story, to want to see things through until the true end. Castle made her a better cop than alternate-Beckett. I think it was pretty clear that  the idea was they both made each other better, despite their jokes at the beginning that they were "bad for each other" and would have been more successful had they not met.

What I can't stop thinking about is - if real-Castle died (protecting a Beckett he had no real relationship with!!) in the alternate universe, does that mean he's dead in that timeline? Or was there an alternate-Castle sleeping off a bender somewhere, eventually going back to alternate-Alexis and alternate-Martha? I'm actually kind of sad over the idea that one Castle had to die.

Thought the kiss might have been faked though :(. But I think it might have been due to the distance/the way it was shot.

After they were pronounced husband and wife? Or right before the episode cut to the credits? Because if it's the latter, I don't think that was supposed to be a kiss. It looks like a forehead touch thing to me. Their lips never get anywhere close. (That is such a weird thing to watch for, but I'll take that bullet. For science. I can't even be sorry.)

Edited by McManda
  • Love 2

I haven't watched a Castle in a few years, but just for laughs might try this one.  Because "bop on the head" episodes (I'm assuming it's something like that--it could also just be Castle taking a nap) are either fun, or SO godawful you get to mock them.

Oh yes, I loved the reference to Beckett having met Castle at a book signing once!  Had given up on them bringing it up on the show so this was a pleasant surprise. Of course it would be even better if Beckett told Castle for real, but I doubt they'll revisit this detail after this AU mention.

Hm... so Capt. Beckett was lying when she said she'd never seen Castle before or didn't know who he was.  Castle being in a career slump without Beckett in his life did bug because like it's been said, it would never be suggested that Beckett has a career slump without Castle.  Quite the opposite, in fact!  At least Castle still had written the Storm books and wasn't a complete professional failure as I feared they might make him out to be.  But still, Castle's always been shown to be a resilient person who told Alexis how he'd taken all the rejections he'd gotten as motivation, so it didn't really ring true to me that he couldn't bounce back after his big novel didn't get the acclaim he wanted, to the extent that he would let Alexis drift away and move to L.A. to live with Meredith!  Luckily, Castle was still able to be a good father in the AU with his advice to Alexis.  Oh, and I could have done without the blonde slinking into the loft!  Thankfully they didn't kiss.  Ugh.  What's with their fondness for women who are strangers getting so physically close to Castle when he's a taken man?  Please don't ever do that again now that they are married.

If there was an AU Castle in the parallel universe, I'd like to think that he would be able to successfully woo this Capt. Beckett even if she's an even harder nut to crack. They'd just met and she was already intrigued enough to go out for a drink as well as give him a lot of leeway on the case, and she was still a fan of his books.

Didn't care for 2 wardrobe decisions.  First, they finally did the thing that I dislike most for TV professional women wardrobe: giving her a cleavage top that's too low cut to be appropriate.  Doesn't matter if it's under a suit.  All the time that Capt. Beckett was wearing her (well cut) suit, I was thinking what's underneath was so low cut you almost couldn't see it beneath the suit. ;)  Second, Castle's jacket worn for most of the episode with the ugly chest pocket was not good.  Why can't the guy have nice jackets?  I want him to match Beckett! ;)

• Love 1

I do think it's kind of amusing that after all the fuss and bother with a delayed wedding the writers chose to go around in a circle and end up exactly the same place where they derailed them as a couple, very appropriate since I feel the storytelling has been doing exactly the same thing. 

madmaverick. I noticed the cleavage too and yeah I can do without the random woman on Castle routine they seem to like doing every now and again. 

I'm glad they didn't have Castle being a bad parent that would have seriously cheesed me off.

Did they ever explain properly the AU situation?  Seemed to me it didn't get addressed and was left up to the viewer rather like Time Will Tell another Terri episode. That felt lazy. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I hate to admit it, but I was smiling and giggling the whole episode. I understand what you guys are saying about he alt universe Castle, but I thoghht the script and directing were really fun and that Nathan was great. It seemed like everyone had a good time making this ep. The green screen WAS painfully bad, but I still loved the wedding. I thought the actors did beautifully and I actually shed a tear. I do admit though that i wa spooking at the clock and when it was 10:53 and Castle still wasn't back, I got worried! I almost wish I hadn't known the wedding was going to happen.

• Love 2

Like I said, I would have preferred Always, as something organic to Castle and Beckett.  Simpler and more fitting than 'time of our lives' imo and it didn't sound quite right coming after 'till death do us part'.  I did wonder if it was something from Milmar's own vows as it sounded like something particularly inserted (along with being the episode title).  Personally, I don't care for Milmar crossing over into Caskett.

• Love 1

The time of our lives bit was the only thing that sounded a little bit odd to me. Good to know where it came from, they tend to like doing that kind of thing but then it's no surprise I guess given how Castle and Beckett came about. 

Edited by verdana

I was pleasantly surprised how much I like most of the AU side. Castle thinking it was a being punked, his mugshot and him slinking around the precinct was hilarious. Ryan's fanboying over Martha was cute, but it was also sad that he never married Jenny so his life isn't as good as it can be if Castle never met Beckett. I also like pregnant Lanie and Seamus's tweet of what he thought why Espo and Lanie were late to the crime scene. I'm glad Beckett was still a fan of Castle's books and we got to see her tell Castle that she had been to a book signing. I did love the small callbacks like the precinct coffee, the s1 hair, early season working together while catching a suspect at the bar, Johanna's ring/case not solved and Castle saving Beckett like in Knockout and getting hit instead.

What I didn't like is that he gave up after the horrible book after Storm Fall and basically hid in the playboy lifestyle and lost his money. Poor Scott Paulin. Not seen last season and was basically a glorified extra in this ep.

On the current verse, the morning scene was cute and I hope Beckett changes her mind and they go to Sorenson's wedding. I also hope that Martha get's the part and this will be her storyline this season. Maybe she can rope Beckett to read lines with her in an upcoming ep. OMG that sunset background was horrible, they should've done a night time wedding with tons of pretty lights hung around a wedding arbor or something so that they're lit well.

Seamus and Shatner are live tweeting the west coast airing. Looks like Molly too.

Edited by turnitwayup

The CGI was glaringly and annoyingly horrible, which took me out of the scene. Fillion kind of looked air brushed, which may have been a good choice for him since he looked exhausted at the start of the episode. Katic looked terrific in that suit as Captain.

I did like that Terri seemed to do some shout outs to the fans: Beckett tells Castle she meet him at the book signing, Caskett on a date, more Martha, and callbacks to season one. There certainly was a lot of Fillion in the episode, so I guess they're keeping to their promise to "explore the character of Rick Castle" aka keep Fillion happy so that he signs for season eight. Of all the incarnations of Alexis I hate, Ironic!Alexis might be the most loathsome. I wish she would move to LA and stay there. In every universe.

In my time away from the boards and the show I think I've really realized what a huge disappointment that finale was, and basically every episode but the Creasy's was. I hoped tonight's episode could make up for it in some way, but it wasn't enough. At least for me.

• Love 3