Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: The Time Of Our Lives

WendyCR72

I think she was terribly lonely and that made her more receptive to him plus they had this fundamental attraction to each other, that's what made it so sad when he died in the AU.

Castle lives in the AU!  Don't ruin my story with your logic. :P  

I'm enjoying those fanfics where Castle AU lives and Beckett isn't ready to let him go even if he doesn't remember the other version of him.  Their love story begins all over again.  

Much as I enjoy seeing Caskett as a lovey dovey couple when they write them well, this episode reminded me again that there really is something compelling about the WT/WT stage of these fictional romantic relationships that can't really be replicated once the couple gets together.  There's more of an edge to the relationship. You see them pushed and pulled towards/away from each other as they (Beckett) is intrigued and fights the attraction at the same time.  It's a courtship in action, trying to win and woo and make exciting discoveries about the other.  I enjoy watching all that.  Would have loved to see how the rest of their "first date" would have gone without interruption.  It's like exploring what would have happened if Beckett had agreed to dinner with Castle in the pilot.  

On rewatch, it was also clear in the episode that the Castle/Martha/Alexis home dynamic of old that was written so well in the past but generally missing of late, resurfaced in this episode, even if it was with alternate Martha/Alexis.  I've missed that family dynamic, where their personalities are distinct and you can really see how they relate and interact with each other, and it all goes deeper than superficial blink and you'll miss "hi and bye" interactions.  Since they can still apparently write this dynamic well, I hope to see more of it going forward.  Beckett can be included and like it's been said many times here, there's a lot of new dynamics to explore with Beckett and the other Castle women too.

I did really like the Castle/Alexis heart to heart scene on the couch.  A scene of Castle being a good Dad and giving Alexis some heartfelt advice and encouragement is always better than one where they are fighting and Alexis is telling her Dad off imo.  ;)   It felt more like their good scenes of old, even if this was with a different Alexis.  Actually preferred this cooler, ironic Alexis to the smug, bratty version we've often gotten lately.

• Love 2

Verdana, I agree that part of her being more receptive in the AU was her loneliness, but it also crossed my mind that she didn't see him as JUST a shallow player...after all, HE was evolved real life Castle even though it was an AU.

Thanks so much for the fanfic lists, nice to know what I will be reading during couch time this weekend!

Talking about Beckett's attire during the episode, it does look like all she's wearing is a lacy bra under her jacket and not much else in this shot. 

Much preferred the AU Alexis in this one and all the family moments, that's the frustrating thing about this writing team when they get it right like in this episode you know they haven't lost their touch but for some reason they just don't do it that much any more. 

Based on the episodes I've seen so far involving MilMar, Terri is a better writer without her husband. 

Edited by verdana
Talking about Beckett's attire during the episode, it does look like all she's wearing is a lacy bra under her jacket and not much else in this shot.

When you can't tell whether a top is just a lacy bra or not, but the point is that it looks like one, then it's really not appropriate workplace attire. ;)  

I'm surprised Castle managed to keep his eyes off her chest and carry on a coherent conversation.  And not another comment about her "nice suit"! ;)

I think Terri has the better touch when it comes to writing the interpersonal dynamics.  I probably would put Amann and Marlowe near the bottom of the list when it comes to writing emotional scenes between characters.  Definitely have expectations for TPW's episode as I think he's a strong writer of the group.

I don't know, I sorta like the idea that she started out in this Gates appropriate skirt/suit and turtleneck and then ended up in something suggestive and unbuttoned when Castle showed up.

I guess I just assumed it was Castle's presence and not regular work attire that inspired her choice that day.

• Love 3
this episode reminded me again that there really is something compelling about the WT/WT stage of these fictional romantic relationships that can't really be replicated once the couple gets together. 

I think that's true.  I also like the period right before the couple hooks up, when in every episode you want to scream at the characters to just kiss already.  That's why I love season 4 so much.

But I don't think that means shows should keep couples in this status forever, as after awhile it starts to feel annoying/contrived.

• Love 1

But I don't think that means shows should keep couples in this status forever, as after awhile it starts to feel annoying/contrived.

This. I love the WTWT dynamic that Castle and Beckett had, it was wonderful and I thought Nathan was better at playing this role frankly than the Castle "in love" when he finally got with her but it only works for a certain period of time and then if it drags on I get fed up with the obvious contrivances being used to keep them apart. Castle fell into that trap from about mid S4 but at least Marlowe didn't make the fuck up HH did with Bones, he realised (or the network did..) when it was time to call it quits and get them together.

Edited by verdana

I still can't get enough of this episode. It's just so much fun.  When scenes both at the precinct and at home have felt forced, wooden and boring before in the past, in this episode everything seemed fresh and effortless, as if taken directly from the alternate season 1 universe. I wish this could have been a 2-parter.

• Love 2

This is a BTS close up of the dreaded blue screen set and from here it looks even more sad, the "Hamptons" cut price version.

K. Tripler @ktripler  ·  6 hrs 6 hours ago

The Hamptons - Hollywood style ;) #Castle #BTS

https://twitter.com/ktripler/status/533820132443684864

I still can't get over the fact they they managed to spend money on blowing up a car, finding a beautiful outside venue, gave Kate two designer dresses, employed assorted guest stars not to mention all the wedding props including wrapped presents and flowers knowing it would never happen and yet when the time comes to do it for real they have to resort to this cheap stunt. Never get my head around the logic of that, feels like they just wanted to get it over with at this point. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2

I don't know if I'm giving Milmar/Amann too much credit, but I don't think the choice to do it on a soundstage was really all about the money. For whatever reason, TPTB wanted to keep the wedding under wraps,  what with the Tumblr poster's friends directly lying to her about the episode's content. Nathan also said as much in the Kimmel interview, that it was all supposed to be very hush hush. I think that shooting on location in a Hamptons-like setting would have gone against that objective, especially given how "forensic scientist"-like Castle fans are. You know some people would have found a way to swarm that location shoot, just as they did the Driven/Montreal shoots. 

Now, why they'd go to such lengths to keep it a secret when they'd already lost so much goodwill in last season's finale, I don't really understand. 

• Love 3

yet when the times gives to do it for real they have to resort to this cheap stunt. Never get my head around the logic of that, feels like they just wanted to get it over with at this point.

Since they wanted to keep the wedding secret and had to film indoors for it, I rather they did a night time green screen effect. It probably would've been less distracting than the sunset. Then they could've just over do the strings of lights/lanterns/torches on the pergola on the deck so that it's lit well. Something like an ott lit pergola, another lit pergola with a bride and groom and lit ground lantern path would've been nice. It would hide the very unrealistic green grass for an outdoor Hamptons wedding in Nov. Beckett and Alexis should've been freezing with what they were wearing lol.

Edited by turnitwayup
  • Love 1

Yeah I agree that would have looked better and not been so distracting.

In the end Nathan and Stana produced the goods with their performances despite the horrible background but it's a shame they got let down at such a key moment by the rest of it - they deserved better. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 3

It does look much less magical (or should it be heavenly lol) when you see the BTS of them filming in front of a blue screen.  They're professional actors of course, but still, props to them all the same for selling the romance and the emotion of it all while filming in just about the least atmospheric set ever.  I do wonder at the actors' reactions when they saw the scene complete with fake sunset for the first time.  I'd be surprised if they too didn't think it was terribly done ;), especially given their knowledge of what's possible these days with cgi.

On the nth rewatch :P, it's actually not too bad when they're saying their vows (or maybe because I'm still too focused on the performances then), but when they pan out, it's hard to ignore how fake it looks.

Don't know if there were budget/secrecy considerations, but I wish they'd rented someone's private estate with an ocean view like they did for the Hamptons episode and filmed the wedding that way.

Enjoyed the score for the wedding scene, and also liked Duncan's use of the deleted bedroom scene music for the Castle/Beckett scene after she let him out of his cell.  I don't recall that music used at other times.

Also re-appreciating the Castle/Beckett confrontation scene at the end.  Nathan did a good job as Castle passionately conveying how the Beckett he knew would never compromise, and Stana did well too to respond with Beckett's walls down and telling Castle that he didn't know her in a callback to one of my favourite moments of the pilot.

Looking forward to the next episode.  Feels like forever since I've so looked forward to 2 episodes in a row.  

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

Is it possible to do a time-lapse of a sunset in a green screen? For me, it wasn't the bright colors so much as that it was stationary throughout. Real sunsets change drastically in just a few seconds.

The more I thought about it ... are we sure it was a sunset? The episode ends at night - there's an establishing shot before the head back to the precinct after Castle wakes up of NYC transitioning from twilight to nighttime. And then Castle says "marry me right now" and the next thing we know they're getting married. Maybe they only had enough time to throw Martha, Alexis, and Jim in a car, swing by the loft to get wedding clothes, and wake a judge. Maybe it was meant to be a sunrise wedding.

Okay, maybe not. But really, I think the sun- effects are much less distracting the second time. Kinda like Beckett's outfit. At first I went 'wtf!' and then it grew on me.

I'm also of the opinion that the green screen was less a cost saving measure and more a keep under wraps measure. But why they'd do that and then promote the episode as "this time we swear it's happening ... a real wedding is happening, we promise!!!", I don't know.

The more I thought about it ... are we sure it was a sunset? The episode ends at night - there's an establishing shot before the head back to the precinct after Castle wakes up of NYC transitioning from twilight to nighttime. And then Castle says "marry me right now" and the next thing we know they're getting married. Maybe they only had enough time to throw Martha, Alexis, and Jim in a car, swing by the loft to get wedding clothes, and wake a judge. Maybe it was meant to be a sunrise wedding.

Okay, maybe not. But really, I think the sun- effects are much less distracting the second time. Kinda like Beckett's outfit. At first I went 'wtf!' and then it grew on me.

I'm also of the opinion that the green screen was less a cost saving measure and more a keep under wraps measure. But why they'd do that and then promote the episode as "this time we swear it's happening ... a real wedding is happening, we promise!!!", I don't know.

I wonder if the choice to cop to there being a wedding in 7.06 was kind of forced upon them by the leaked 7.07 call sheet and Nathan's interview in which he was very obviously wearing a wedding ring. Although again, you'd think they would want the fans to know there would be a wedding beforehand to drum up interest in the episode...

I guess there's also a difference between promoting the wedding and allowing photos of the event (along with possible costume/set design spoilers) to be leaked beforehand, as would be more likely with a location shoot. In the end, I admit that I kind of liked seeing everything for the first time as it was happening on Monday night.