Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E06: Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Lena Dunham, Micky Flanagan, Sia

• Start Topic

Among the guests on Graham's sofa: Oscar-winning actors Matthew McConaughey and Anne Hathaway, who appear in new film Interstellar, creator of TV show Girls, Lena Dunham, comedian Micky Flanagan and musical guest Sia, who performs Chandelier.

Honestly, I only really know Lena Dunham from this show (since I don't watch Girls) but I really liked her last appearance on the show and I'm looking forward to this one.  

Matthew McConaughey not so much.  It's not that I dislike him, but he's too out of it (for lack of a better term) to get the fun interactions that really make this show. 

For all that this episode had three people I dislike on it, one I only know slightly, and a singer I like but who's gimmick I find annoying, I actually found it to be a watchable episode.  Dunham was actually amusing--despite me disliking her a lot at other times she kind of saved this episode.

• Love 1

I think the problem with McConaughey is that he suddenly becomes very serious, and it throws things off. He can certainly joke around, but sometimes it takes a while for people to adjust to his straightforward, earnest stories.

I really hated when Anne and Lena interrupted Micky's story. Anne should have suffered being cold, or Lena should have refrained from trying to warm her up. Although one or the other apologized (I can't remember who), it was still rude.

I'd heard that song by Sia but didn't know anything about her nor had I seen the video. Now I really appreciate the SNL dance skit with Jim Carrey and Kate McKinnon. What they did wasn't an exaggeration. I agree that Sia's gimmick is annoying.

Dunham was actually amusing--despite me disliking her a lot at other times she kind of saved this episode.

This is me, exactly. 

Anne Hathaway needs to take a seat and SFU.  What an attention whore.

She tries so hard and is so earnest. The story about her husband and the sunset was painful to listen to. And she was astoundingly rude during Micky Flanagan's story. Quietly ask McConaughey to borrow his jacket. Don't ostentatiously pull focus from the guy who's talking. UGH. Lena Dunham gets a finger-wagging there, too.

Far be it for me to apologize for Anne Hathaway, who's a drip, but it actually did seem to be a momentary forgetfulness that they were constantly on mike behind that. At least that's how it seemed to me (and the only reason a diva like her even was embarrassed even a little by that).

• Love 1

Graham's joke in the monologue quoting Camilla's diary about doing it 'corgi-style' made me laugh way more than was seemly. Something about the image of all those wee corgi legs.

The preciousness of Hathaway's anecdote aside, I appreciate her admitting out loud how horrible it is to starve yourself. Wish more actors would do it. Anyway, she will always get points from me for actually singing that Oscars opening routine with Hugh Jackman, while Beyoncé lipsynched.

Is it just me, or is anyone else compelled to shout corrections at the screen when somebody says 'vagina' when they mean 'vulva'? Argh.

Red Chair kid was adorbs.

• Love 2

My old roommate had that Sia song on repeat for about a month and now everytime I hear it I truly feel the need to punch someone, or myself even, in the face. Awful, awful song. And I hate that dancing kid.

I like Lena in moderation, and on Norton previously, so she saved a lot of the episode, especially considering that I cannot stand Matthew Mackonahey and Anne is a dip, indeed.

A watchable show, but strangely low-energy. Leah at least had some energy. For co-stars, McConaghey and Hathaway seemed polite, but not particularly warm to each other.

It's funny, for years Hathaway played the over-eager drama-club persona until it backfired on her. Now she seems to be checking herself and is being overly reserved. She should find a happy medium.

Ah if only the world was perfect.  Perfect indeed.  Then when Graham went over to Sia to thank her, she would have turned around and revealed she was Dawn French all along.  And the dancer would run out and pull off her own wig and the unitard to reveal Jennifer Saunders in a ball gown.  Slightly less perfect but with potential to exist is French and Saunders are filming their parody as I type.  Sia needs to stop being so full of it before mushrooms sprout out her orifices.

That was one damn odd show.  McConaughey is so full of himself.  I have always thought his persona is a heavily affected one no matter how truthful the tiny grain he built it on is.  I noticed how he always seems to ever so slightly smile at most of the others as if he was deigning to be there.  To the point he also often turned away from whoever was talking.  Until he talked,  then turning away from Graham to Dunham's overly affected Fangirl.  He also tried to stomp on Flanagan's anecdotes I noticed.  What a doucebag.  He wasn't real thrilled when Flanagan added a quip to his own story and got a bigger laugh.

Hathaway seemed to be working a passive aggressive nerve in some silent battle she and MM were waging.  I think that is one of the largest gaps between guests let alone guest that essentially "came together" I have ever seen.  So big I really wish Sia had come over and sat on the couch even if behind a screen to see if Hathaway would leap in Dunham's lap instead of getting closer to the guy who thinks Halloween is every day and he is going as a cured tobacco leaf.  I know he is supposed to be sexy (like Channing Tatum is, world's sexiest dumb as nails turnip), but I think until the studies come back on botox mixed with marijuana he should pick a team and use that one thing.  The amount of filler in his cheeks is insane most of the time to the point he looks like he is peeking out from between Kim Kardashian's boobs.

But even Jessie J and Cheryl Cole with the enormous poles up their asses have never tried to put that amount of distance and their attempts are always people they clearly see as being beneath them. 

Dunham was on as usual.  Annoying twit. She is essentially the hipster's post modern version of fifties neighborhood drunk with the lampshade on his head.   It was funny about the cold comfort cuddling because I just watched a couple of old shows and they complained how warm it got under those lights.  I guess Hathaway is going for frail vulnerable and yet a girl's girl this awards season.  Like her mis-casting in Interstellar has any chance of bringing her a nomination of any type.

I will say this for Dunham.  She gets Graham.  And for all her attention mongering she appreciates the stage he provides and facilitates.  I think she is sincere in that and I think it is the one forum that she enjoys enough to not have to be so 'on' .  She would be bettered employed with a couple of British people, none iconic so she didn't turn into Gollum trying to wheedle one last glimpse of the ring as she was last appearance.  But people she feels equal to.  At least, unlike McConaughey she puts forth effort even if half the time it is annoying. Repeating myself but it needs to be said.  McConaughey is an insufferable douchebag.

On a shallow note as someone who doesn't really find Lena Dunham attractive although I do like her show, this was the best I have seen her look.  Not sure if her face is thinner or just maturing or her make up was on point but I thought she looked great.

Is it just me, or is anyone else compelled to shout corrections at the screen when somebody says 'vagina' when they mean 'vulva'? Argh.

At least they didn't say Va-Jay-Jay.  Or Down There.  But, yeah, adults should understand basic biology.

• Love 1