Type keyword(s) to search

Tara: She Likes Girls and Fist Bumps

• Start Topic

I thought if Eugene had his own thread, Tara deserves one as well.

I didn't like her - at all.  I found her completely tainted by the Governor-centric episodes.  She started growing on me when she quickly figured out the siege on the prison was a mistake, and the governor was BSC.  I liked that she didn't kill any of our people, and I appreciate that she's never made excuses for her part in the siege.  Glenn would have died the day the prison fell without her help, and she is the reason Glenn was able to backtrack and hunt for Maggie. I also think it's great that she confessed to Maggie, and she's apparently replaced Beth (just kidding) as a sister. 

Now I keep reading how clumsy she is (true) and that she's useless as a fighter (obviously true at one point), but she brought down the walkers attacking both her and Glenn, after Glenn passed out.  And I liked her badass sass at the three stooges.  She's not my favorite, by any means, but there are at least four people I find less useful.

• Love 5

Tara: She likes girls and fist bumps

Abraham : He likes fists, and girls bumps

Eugene: Bum pal. Seeks girls; finds shit

Rosita:  A. Flirts  and

B. humps G.I.s

D--N!

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 3

Is anyone else getting the vibe that she has feelings for Glenn beyond just loyalty and gratitude?  If you have the show recorded go watch that scene when Glenn comes out of the gun store with the silencers. The look Tara gave him was positively doting and then fell abrubtly when Glenn paid her little heed and walked off with Maggie. Normally, I'd say this made a crush supposition pretty much nailed on, but...

...as the show has already well established that she only likes girls, I'm wondering; what's up with that?

• Love 2

Is anyone else getting the vibe that she has feelings for Glenn beyond just loyalty and gratitude?  If you have the show recorded go watch that scene when Glenn comes out of the gun store with the silencers. The look Tara gave him was positively doting and then fell abrubtly when Glenn paid her little heed and walked off with Maggie. Normally, I'd say this made a crush supposition pretty much nailed on, but...

...as the show has already well established that she only likes girls, I'm wondering; what's up with that?

She may possibly like him..but...

Her happy look dissolved because when Glenn came out, he says: (paraphrase)  "That's the secret of scavenging, anything that is still worth finding is still hidden"---and that was when Maggie didn't know Tara was from Woodbury. Tara confesses after that.

I'd personally throw in that Tara only likes girls was established when she was being hit on by Martinez at the picnic table, and Eugene anywhere.

• Love 2

Making her the third in the Gleggie marriage would at least Glenn and Maggie somewhat entertaining again to watch.  She already makes them more tolerable.

I don't love her but I find myself not minding her at all.  She seems capable of learning fairly quickly, owns up to what she doesn't know or does wrong, and already has shown more personality than any of the other females, barring Sasha, in her age group.

• Love 6

Making her the third in the Gleggie marriage would at least Glenn and Maggie somewhat entertaining again to watch.  She already makes them more tolerable.

Plus it adds an interesting element to the constant Alpha Male vs. Alpha Male wienie-wagging on this show; I would love to see a scene with Rick and Daryl off to the side grumbling weren't we being all top dog and sending Glenn to fetch us peaches and while we weren't looking he's gotten constant sex, a quite nice vintage pocket watch, and now a threesome?! What the hell!

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I would love to see a scene with Rick and Daryl off to the side grumbling weren't we being all top dog and sending Glenn to fetch us peaches and while we weren't looking he's gotten constant sex, a quite nice vintage pocket watch, and now a threesome?!

OH gawd yes! Bwahaha!

But I definitely think Tara has a major girl boner for Maggie.

• Love 2

I have absolutely no proof of this, but once I saw that Tara's fate was going to tie into Glenn's, I immediately assumed they made Tara gay as to not anger the Glenn/Maggie fans.  I can't figure out yet how that trio works, but I think there's a mutual appreciation from Glenn/Maggie that Tara saved Glenn, and think Tara is just so grateful that they've accepted her, that she almost seems to idolize them.

• Love 4
I would love to see a scene with Rick and Daryl off to the side grumbling weren't we being all top dog and sending Glenn to fetch us peaches and while we weren't looking he's gotten constant sex, a quite nice vintage pocket watch, and now a threesome?! What the hell!

Hilarious! I doubt they'll do the tri-marriage angle but I agree it would be a way to make Maggie and Glenn interesting again. Tara does stick close to them but I haven't figured out what that is about yet other then they being among the first people she's met in the new larger group. 

• Love 2

I never liked this character.  I don't know what it is but most of the new ones (okay, all) that came in during Season 4....Ugh.  Really Season 3 for that matter too, baring the fruit couple and Zach.  Those three actors made me love their characters immediately, and they all were gone in one episode.  I still don't care to much about Sasha or Tyreese, and our Season 5 characters are worse with that God awful priest.  New characters introduced in Season 2 like Herschel and Maggie drew me in right away, even if I didn't like them.  They have gone down hill with introducing new ones ever since then.

Tara is just another disposable one that I resent for taking up screen time from characters I care about or want to know more about.

• Love 2

I never liked this character.  I don't know what it is but most of the new ones (okay, all) that came in during Season 4....Ugh.  Really Season 3 for that matter too, baring the fruit couple and Zach.  Those three actors made me love their characters immediately, and they all were gone in one episode.  I still don't care to much about Sasha or Tyreese, and our Season 5 characters are worse with that God awful priest.  New characters introduced in Season 2 like Herschel and Maggie drew me in right away, even if I didn't like them.  They have gone down hill with introducing new ones ever since then.

Tara is just another disposable one that I resent for taking up screen time from characters I care about or want to know more about.

Sometimes I've suspected that the major longer-lasting actors are consulted about their chemistry or something with new people---and they had a secret meeting to agree not to recommend new actors that the public might like...who might become popular. They throw their weight behind idiots and idiot roles that will make viewers mad but keep the O.G.'s jobs more secure.

Just cynical. Again.

• Love 1

As much as I'm not digging the DC trip, I would be interested in seeing more of Glenn, Maggie, and Tara together. And I don't see anything even remotely sexual or romantic about their relationships. I just think some people just click, and given Tara's dorky personality she might bring some fun out of that couple again.

• Love 3

Out of all the newer, peripheral characters I think I like Tara the best, Sasha a close second. I guess it's not fair to expect the original core group (or what's left of them) to carry the show and I see a lot of room for character development with Tara. Given her orientation, she could be the lonely 'odd man out', pardon the expression. None of her family left, no romantic partner on the horizon and perhaps looked upon with suspicion by some. 

• Love 1

Sometimes I've suspected that the major longer-lasting actors are consulted about their chemistry or something with new people---and they had a secret meeting to agree not to recommend new actors that the public might like...who might become popular. They throw their weight behind idiots and idiot roles that will make viewers mad but keep the O.G.'s jobs more secure.

Just cynical. Again.

That would be a great way for them to get their show canceled and lose their jobs. 

I think most of the actors who have been cast in the new roles have been good choices. Frankly, I think the casting for many of them are better than the casting from the first season, which made some key mistakes with Dale and Andrea, among others.

• Love 1

Poor Tara. For all the carping that she's pointless and meaningless and how dare her existence take away airtime from seeing if Daryl dyes his pit hairs, I think she is a great supporting character who adds a lot of humor and heart to the show. I loved her horsing around with Noah early in the episode, and her partnership with Eugene. I hope they won't kill her off. 

• Love 6

I just really don't like Tara. Like the ASZhats "we've all lost things" feels false to me, Tara saying she was out there a long time feels the same.

She was holed up in an apartment building for months and didn't even know a headshot killed walkers (after repeatedly trying to kill the one in the bathtub, IIRC). Then Brian protected her; then Glenn. Yes, she apparently can now handle herself around walkers, but just as the actress seemed to me a bit self important, I find Tara to be the same.

Edited by mandolin
  • Love 1

Glenn kept her secret with the group, but in terms of protection, they were both there for each other. He knew more about how to survive, but he also needed her to keep going. 

I don't mind her attitude because she uses it as a learning tool - she was one of the main people constantly encouraging Eugene to grow, instead of just coddling him - instead of using it to ease guilt and defend inaction, the way the people at that dinner party did.

• Love 1

You know, it was a while that Tara was on before her story wasn't just about someone else. She was only part of "Brian's" story for at least three episodes. I'm glad everyone gave the writers a few more episodes to develop her before she was dismissed out of hand!

I guess it would have been different if there has been any possibility she'd be attractive to a main character.

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 1

You know, it was a while that Tara was on before her story wasn't just about someone else. She was only part of "Brian's" story for at least three episodes. I'm glad everyone gave the writers a few more episodes to develop her before she was dismissed out of hand!

I guess it would have been different if there has been any possibility she'd be attractive to a main character.

Given the subset of fans who insist that she is hot for Glenn and that Glenn and Tara will be a thing, I don't know if her being attractive to a main character is a huge factor.

One of the reasons I was drawn to her fairly quickly (after she annoyed me somewhat in her first episode) is because I felt like a great deal of her episodes were about her and her journey along with the main focus (Brilip). We saw her relationships with her family, we saw her saying goodbye to her father, we saw her finding a girlfriend, we saw her choosing not to participate in the fighting at the prison and going into shock.

There could have been more, yes, but I have a feeling even if there had been more, some fans would always see her as a meaningless character. I don't really mean fans who dislike her - I get why some fans dislike her - I just mean fans who never see her as important. 

One thing with this is that certain characters will always be seen as important and prominent by certain fans, and anyone else is meaningless. I saw a post on another board yesterday that said something to the effect of how they knew "those supporting people in the back of the van getting airtime" meant one of them would die, and the poster was shocked to realize they even had last names. 

It made me feel a little sad, because Glenn's been on the show from the end of episode 1, with some pretty decent moments and stories along the way, and yet he's still just some random, no-last-named person in the back of a van to some fans. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1

Tara definitely grew on me in this episode. She has heart and humor. I just wish we would get to see how she is coping with the death of her sister and niece. We have spent a lot of time on how the other characters' have dealt with their losses, but not her.

Given the subset of fans who insist that she is hot for Glenn and that Glenn and Tara will be a thing, I don't know if her being attractive to a main character is a huge factor.

One of the reasons I was drawn to her fairly quickly (after she annoyed me somewhat in her first episode) is because I felt like a great deal of her episodes were about her and her journey along with the main focus (Brilip). We saw her relationships with her family, we saw her saying goodbye to her father, we saw her finding a girlfriend, we saw her choosing not to participate in the fighting at the prison and going into shock.

There could have been more, yes, but I have a feeling even if there had been more, some fans would always see her as a meaningless character. I don't really mean fans who dislike her - I get why some fans dislike her - I just mean fans who never see her as important. 

One thing with this is that certain characters will always be seen as important and prominent by certain fans, and anyone else is meaningless. I saw a post on another board yesterday that said something to the effect of how they knew "those supporting people in the back of the van getting airtime" meant one of them would die, and the poster was shocked to realize they even had last names. 

It made me feel a little sad, because Glenn's been on the show from the end of episode 1, with some pretty decent moments and stories along the way, and yet he's still just some random, no-last-named person in the back of a van to some fans. 

Yeah, but my point is, nobody thought Glenn was attracted to Tara in her first 3 episodes--she hadn't met him yet.  She didn't get a girlfriend in her first 3 episodes.  She did watch her dad die, although that was more about Brian putting him down and rescuing the women.   Jessie has had some family drama as well, although it's been more about Rick witnessing it and potentially rescuing her.

So what I'm trying to say is, I don't understand why there was no backlash 3 episodes in that we had this female character that was only there to prop up a male character and further his story, a female character that wasn't super developed that we didn't know well outside a few facts.  And my conclusion is, it must have been that it wasn't looking like she was attractive to Brian.  Meaning we only care about females and how they're portrayed right off the bat if they're potential love interests for the males of the show.

• Love 1

Upthread, I asked if Tara asking Noah about Holly meant Tara has a crush on Holly. Somebody said something similar in the "Spend" episode thread, and Bad Example had a different take:

I interpreted that scene in an entirely different way.  I found it very sibling-ish, with Tara's position being, "I am now going to tease my brother about this girl because I think he might liiiike her..."    As charming as I find Tara now and as much as I would like to see her find someone nice, your POV for that scene never occurred to me!

I'm really worried day-drunk Dr. Pete is going to hurt Tara. Maybe even kill her?

I'm really worried day-drunk Dr. Pete is going to hurt Tara. Maybe even kill her?

No kidding! He was intoxicated when he stopped by Rick's house, so who in the hell is supposed to operate on Tara??? I'd trust Maggie or Carol before I'd trust that dude.

• Love 3

Upthread, I asked if Tara asking Noah about Holly meant Tara has a crush on Holly. Somebody said something similar in the "Spend" episode thread, and Bad Example had a different take:

It never occurred to me watching the show that anyone would see it as Tara having a crush on Holly. I absolutely also felt sure that it was teasing in a sibling way.

I remember when we first met Pete that Aaron had talked to Noah about his leg and I was afraid that surgery would come up...it won't be Noah, and if it is Tara she won't even be conscious to get permission...(I'm getting the fantods again!)

So what I'm trying to say is, I don't understand why there was no backlash 3 episodes in that we had this female character that was only there to prop up a male character and further his story, a female character that wasn't super developed that we didn't know well outside a few facts.  And my conclusion is, it must have been that it wasn't looking like she was attractive to Brian.  Meaning we only care about females and how they're portrayed right off the bat if they're potential love interests for the males of the show.

I'm not really sure Tara was ever sold as being on the same level of importance as Jessie. No one cared if she was attractive to Brian. I don't remember any big fan hate for Lilly, who clearly was attractive to Brian. The most I heard about Lilly was, "She looks so much like Maggie."

There wasn't much opinion at all about Tara in her early episodes. Some fans were annoyed by her and hated her. Some, like me, quickly grew to like her. Many likely had no real opinion and thought she was going to die quickly, so didn't bother to invest. 

If this show had Rachel Grimes as a leading lady who fell for Tara at first sight, and plotted a murder for her even as Tara mostly stood around talking about owl statues, then I think I'd see the comparison more.

• Love 1

I'm not really sure Tara was ever sold as being on the same level of importance as Jessie. No one cared if she was attractive to Brian. I don't remember any big fan hate for Lilly, who clearly was attractive to Brian. The most I heard about Lilly was, "She looks so much like Maggie."

There wasn't much opinion at all about Tara in her early episodes. Some fans were annoyed by her and hated her. Some, like me, quickly grew to like her. Many likely had no real opinion and thought she was going to die quickly, so didn't bother to invest.

If this show had Rachel Grimes as a leading lady who fell for Tara at first sight, and plotted a murder for her even as Tara mostly stood around talking about owl statues, then I think I'd see the comparison more.

That's my point exactly. Several people have said that Jessie only being part of Rick's story, only shown in scenes with Rick, only there to prop up Rick is problematic with regard to how this show portrays women. My point is that Tara was only in scenes with Brian, was only part of Brian's story and was only there to prop up Brian in the same number of episodes Jessie has been in.

Which makes me think that the problem to those folks is not that Jessie has only been in scenes with Rick, is only there to tell Rick's story and is only there to prop up Rick. It's not because those things point to a problematic portrayal of women. It's because she's attractive to Rick.

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 2

See, I instantly thought Tara liked Holly. So funny how we all interpret things differently.

Yes!!! We all interpret things through our own lens, and there should be no need to berate others into seeing things our way. Maybe Tara likes Holly. Maybe Tara was teasing Noah about his interest in Holly. Both viewpoints are equally valid at this point in the story. Maybe we'll find out that one or the other (or neither) is "right"—or maybe the entire storyline will be dropped. 

I'm still worried about Tara receiving halfassed medical care from day-drunk Dr. Pete. Perhaps we've lost too many people recently, so she's safe. But isn't that what people were saying last week?

• Love 2

Very true. Usually there's about 3 major deaths per season. But....we have SUCH a bigger group now, I guess they can kill off more. I really wasn't expecting Noah, but maybe they need to weedle the size of CDB down a bit. I'm hoping we don't lose Tara. She has grown on me. I like that she was scared and useless at first, but she tries her hardest. She was very loyal to people she barely knew and it worked out well for her. I really like her as a friend to Glenn and Maggie, and I appreciate her covering for Eugene. I hope she sticks around.

• Love 3

That's my point exactly. Several people have said that Jessie only being part of Rick's story, only shown in scenes with Rick, only there to prop up Rick is problematic with regard to how this show portrays women. My point is that Tara was only in scenes with Brian, was only part of Brian's story and was only there to prop up Brian in the same number of episodes Jessie has been in.

Which makes me think that the problem to those folks is not that Jessie has only been in scenes with Rick, is only there to tell Rick's story and is only there to prop up Rick. It's not because those things point to a problematic portrayal of women. It's because she's attractive to Rick.

B-I-N-G-O

I can't stand Tara.  She was warming to me a little bit, but then I saw TTD and she was just off the charts annoying and I can't get that out of my head now.  Damn you TTD.

I can't stand Tara. She was warming to me a little bit, but then I saw TTD and she was just off the charts annoying and I can't get that out of my head now. Damn you TTD.

You aren't alone. I posted up thread similarly.

I used to follow her on social media, and I had to stop that long before TTD.

Edited by mandolin
  • Love 1

I can't stand Tara.  She was warming to me a little bit, but then I saw TTD and she was just off the charts annoying and I can't get that out of my head now.  Damn you TTD.

I really, really dislike Alanna Masterson since her appearance on Talking Dead, but that hasn't negatively affected my opinion of the character. (Which I actually find kind of surprising.) I usually consider Tara a glorified extra (which is why Masterson's grandiosity annoyed me so), but I really liked her scene in "Spend" with Eugene.

Doesn't character development usually = doomed?

• Love 3
I really, really dislike Alanna Masterson since her appearance on Talking Dead, but that hasn't negatively affected my opinion of the character. (Which I actually find kind of surprising.) I usually consider Tara a glorified extra (which is why Masterson's grandiosity annoyed me so), but I really liked her scene in "Spend" with Eugene.

That's so odd, because I've had the exact same experience. When she appeared on TTD last year, I found her insanely annoying, and she was just as bad this recent time. But for some reason, I find myself liking Tara. I don't LOVE her. She's no Carol. But I find her likeable and endearing and I want to see more of her. I guess maybe because she could be me in the ZA - she's not super strong or brave, but she's competent and she doesn't give up. She's an every-woman. 

• Love 1

I believe comparing Tara to Jessie is a false analogy.

"Brian" was not the main character of TWD and I doubt any viewers thought that "Brian" would kill Rick and that "Brian's" group would supplant CDB. The End.

"Brian" was a dead man walking storywise, so any characters introduced with "Brian", male or female, were red shirts until further notice. Most viewers aren't going to worry overly much about red shirt character development.

In contrast, Jessie was introduced in a meet cute with the show's main character, so it's reasonable to believe she isn't a red shirt. So a little character development would be nice.

• Love 2

Many may not recall, but when we were first introduced to Tara she wasa female Aiden - an insecure, immature adult-child who attempted to mask insecurity with braggadocio and bravado - talking about what a badass she was because she was a cop, when in reality she had just entered the police academy. Unlike Aiden, however, she's seen a lot more of how both individuals and societies can degenerate under the right wrong conditions, and she's taken these lessons to heart. Tara has grown from her experiences.

Given time, Aiden may have developed into a better human being as well. Playing first-person-shooter with a crash test dummy loaded up with grenades, however, wasn't the way to go about it.

• Love 6

So interesting reading this. I loved the way the character of Chloe O'Brien was played in 24. Then Mary Lynn Rajskub goes on TTD and I hated her.

I didn't love the Alanna Masterson on TTD, but so far I'm okay with Tara, and since it looks like a coin toss whether Tara will continue to be on the show, I'll wait and hope she's not a TTD guest again.

• Love 1

If they kill off Tara just to make Eugene emo, I will be very pissed off. Tara has leveled up enough to be a physically useful member of the group, and she has a friendliness to her that not only benefits the group itself, but also the show. As I've said on the Beth thread, Tara has done a better job of growing into what early Beth should have than Beth herself actually did.

• Love 6

If they kill off Tara just to make Eugene emo, I will be very pissed off. Tara has leveled up enough to be a physically useful member of the group, and she has a friendliness to her that not only benefits the group itself, but also the show. As I've said on the Beth thread, Tara has done a better job of growing into what early Beth should have than Beth herself actually did.

Thumbs up at this use of "level up."

• Love 1

I think that's where we disagree. I never felt like Tara was in those episodes just to prop Brian. Her relationships with her father, sister and niece were separate from how she felt about him, as were her brief scenes with Alisha, her girlfriend. I never felt like she was just there through Brian's eyes. If she was just there to chat with Brian about owl statues and for him to stare at and kiss on the cheek, I'd have the same opinion of her I have of Jessie - that she isn't a character, she's just there as a man's fantasy.

To me the show often does well with supporting characters in a handful of scenes, does well in making them their own character. I think they did with Tara. I don't think they have with Jessie. And not because she's a love interest. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1

I liked Beth, but I also like Tara. I know she's not a main character, but I think one of the reasons the show has remained strong in the ratings is because they've broadened the character map in recent seasons rather than just endlessly cycling back to the same misery with the same characters. I also like that she remains friendly and positive. I think it adds to the overall story. I don't think anyone else in the group could have gotten through to Eugene. And it was done in a believable way throughout the season, thanks to their scenes together in Self-Help, so it didn't just feel like one of those "took a level in badass" scenes. 

I hope they won't just sacrifice her like cannon fodder. I like that the show has separate groups and friends and it isn't just everyone forced together with a lot of people standing in the background, like the first few seasons.

• Love 2

I like her a lot as a secondary character.  I don't see her as any kind of lead character, but I like her enough that I was genuinely worried she was going to end up a zombie appetizer when she was hurt this past week.  She's not a hardened cynic like some of our longer term survivors, but her time with "Brian" has definitely left her with a healthy sense of skepticism mixed with what I consider a more realistic kind of hopefulness than anything any of our traditional beacons of hope were peddling.

There's something really oddly endearing about her friendship with Eugene in the way that she's quick to call him on his ridiculousness but she's also protective of him and keeps his confidence.  She makes him and his time on screen a lot more for palatable for me.

• Love 4

When she appeared on TTD last year, I found her insanely annoying

This is why I never watch TTD, or interviews in general with anyone whose acting career I've enjoyed. I'm afraid if they come off like jerks or idiots it will ruin my enjoyment of their work.

So I know Tara only from the show, enjoy her exchanges with Eugene, and find her okay as a character. I like her a hell of a lot more than I did Tyreese, whose every appearance had me gritting my teeth.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 1

That's so odd, because I've had the exact same experience. When she appeared on TTD last year, I found her insanely annoying, and she was just as bad this recent time. But for some reason, I find myself liking Tara. I don't LOVE her. She's no Carol. But I find her likeable and endearing and I want to see more of her. I guess maybe because she could be me in the ZA - she's not super strong or brave, but she's competent and she doesn't give up. She's an every-woman. 

Usually I can separate the two, but in the case of this actress my intense annoyance has followed into the show.  Then again,  I was never a Tara fan so that could be why.

• Love 1

If Tara's the comic relief, then when she wakes up in a comfy bedroom after her head injury (while King Rick is outside the window parading Deanna's head on a stick or some other drama), it would be kinda fun for Tara to ask Eugene, "so anything been happening?" Being Eugene, he'd have no idea either. 

If Tara's the comic relief, then when she wakes up in a comfy bedroom after her head injury (while King Rick is outside the window parading Deanna's head on a stick or some other drama), it would be kinda fun for Tara to ask Eugene, "so anything been happening?" Being Eugene, he'd have no idea either.

Could Daryl be Toto?

• Love 1