Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Nobody Said It Was Going To Be Easy

Cranberry

So last week, I thought the writers were repetitivie because it seemed that the cast were all secret fathers.  But now I think the theme is that they're all alcoholics:

First, Deacon finds out that Rayna has been hiding a big secret, and after the secret is revealed, Deacon can't handle it and goes on an ugly alcohol-fuled bender.

Then, Avery finds out that Juliette has been hiding a big secret, and after the secret is revealed, Avery can't handle it and goes on an ugly alcohol-fueled bender.

Then, Layla finds out that Will has been hiding a big secret, and after the secret is revealed, Layla can't handle it and goes on an ugly alcohol-fueled bender.

If Zoe starts drinking once she finds out about Gunnar's secret love child, I swear I am never watching the show again.

Edited by mikem
  • Love 3

Deacon's relationship with Pam is all kinds of squicky.    She's a loosy goosy who will pick up the next backup cowboy once Deacon is gone.

Well, I'm not sure we've been given evidence that Pam is "loosy goosy".  Deacon, on the other hand, has slept with at least five women since the show started.

• Love 2

I think that Avery still loves Juliette. He did drive all night from Nashville to Cincinnati the minute he heard that she was in the hospital.

He said that he forgives her but he doesn't trust her but he still wants to father his child. Poor guy, he was extremely hurt and has said nasty things to Juliette out of that hurt. I think that it will take a while but they will be a couple again. I just hope that he doesn't have to deliver their baby in the woods or some such soap trope.

I hope that the song that they co-wrote becomes the song of the year. I do understand the lack of CMA nominations though, Juliette has lost her Christian southern fans.

On a shallow note, I wonder why Trisha Yearwood and Garth Brooks never got a smash name. Didn't they get together when Garth was "that guy".  Who knows, maybe Rayna will get a cooking show on the FN.

I do wonder how much backlash she is going to get from the press and her conservative fans for having a baby out of wedlock/having premarital sex
Can't imagine why.  This is standard procedure for most people in the entertainment business and has been for years.  Even conservative fans are used to it.

But she got tons of backlash for being made to look like she said "There is no god" or whatever, last season ... It seems like the conservative, deeply religious country music fans who would be so up in arms about that might be at least a little judgey about her out of wedlock pregnancy too.  Real life conservatives were up in arms about the fictional TV character Murphy Brown's out of wedlock pregnancy in the early 90s!

On the subject of Micah and Gunnar - the unbelievability of Micah being so excited about Gunnar and wanting to stay over at his house, when they'd only met once, was extremely annoying to me. I don't think it was supposed to have a deeper meaning about Micah not having a happy home life -- I think it was just sloppy, corner-cutting writing.  They wanted to portray it as if Micah and Gunnar had bonded over hanging out multiple times at the diner or whatever, so that Micah would believably be kind of idolizing Gunnar as a cool male role model type of figure in his life, but they just skipped building any of that foundation and pretended they had a bond after one meeting. Dumb. In real life a 9 yr old kid would probably be really shy around an unfamiliar guy he'd just met. 

• Love 2

But she got tons of backlash for being made to look like she said "There is no god" or whatever, last season ... It seems like the conservative, deeply religious country music fans who would be so up in arms about that might be at least a little judgey about her out of wedlock pregnancy too.  Real life conservatives were up in arms about the fictional TV character Murphy Brown's out of wedlock pregnancy in the early 90s!

On the subject of Micah and Gunnar - the unbelievability of Micah being so excited about Gunnar and wanting to stay over at his house, when they'd only met once, was extremely annoying to me. I don't think it was supposed to have a deeper meaning about Micah not having a happy home life -- I think it was just sloppy, corner-cutting writing.  They wanted to portray it as if Micah and Gunnar had bonded over hanging out multiple times at the diner or whatever, so that Micah would believably be kind of idolizing Gunnar as a cool male role model type of figure in his life, but they just skipped building any of that foundation and pretended they had a bond after one meeting. Dumb. In real life a 9 yr old kid would probably be really shy around an unfamiliar guy he'd just met. 

All of this is so spot on. On Micah: A child his age would definitely be shy around Gunnar, especially since his mother has been dating. I think he'd wonder if Gunnar is another guy he'll never see again after a couple of months. This was definitely "sloppy, corner-cutting" writing, which seems to be a signature for this show. They introduce too many story lines, too many characters, and rush through the millions of ideas they have because they don't have (or make) time to flesh anything out.

On Sadie: I really like the actress. I think this is my first time seeing her in anything, though someone linked to a video of her trying out for the live Peter Pan movie, I think, and that was fabulous.

I'm suspicious of her because Nashville rarely introduces a character without strings. Even Tandy was screwing Rayna over in season 1 or 2. So while the show has trouble being subtle, it also has trouble being clear about character direction, plot and everything else. It seems like new characters are there to make the lives of the main cast members difficult: Peggy, Jason, Layla, Zoe, Kiley, Luke, Jeff. I'd love it if Sadie and Pam were just there to make Rayna and Deacon smile, but the history of the show makes it hard to believe they aren't up to something.

I'm still not sure why Sadie took the picture of Rayna in her wedding dress and made the comment about the picture being worth something. Sadie said that quietly and Rayna didn't seem to hear her. Why would they waste precious minutes on something like that if it didn't mean anything. I'm not sure what we were supposed to take from the car chase. Maybe just that Sadie is fun and Rayna needs to loosen up? I don't know. The other thing that tainted Sadie a little for me was "going with" Jeff after spending so much time with Rayna (car chase, wedding dress fitting). It would have been respectful to give Rayna the heads up about her decision. The laptop incident didn't strilke me as odd though because she'd had it open while Rayna was standing right behind her. I was a little surprised when she closed it as if Rayna just walked into the room. I think that was just bad direction. The scene would have been clearer if Sadie closed the laptop right after Rayna said she had been on Twitter all day. 

• Love 2

I can't believe I am still watching this crap.  I am still waiting for it to get better which is insane. Actually I think it's getting worse.

I can accept that Teddy is stupid but wouldn't he have loads of advisers and minders to protect him as the  mayor?  Also doesn't he have a city to run?  I guess that once they ditched the political storylines (which were dull anyway) there wasn't a lot for him to do as mayor and so his job is now incidental to his stupidity and his role as a father.  I kind of like him but I think maybe the character has run its course?

I'm glad that Deacon got his mojo back but wouldn't it be a good idea if he did this by interacting with other core characters instead of yet another new girlfriend passing through?  Although again, I quite like Pam.  But why do they keep the core characters and relationships away from  each other?  So pretty much every main character is interacting with someone nobody watching is remotely interested in.

As for the silo they've put Scarlett in, don't even get me started.  What is the point of that storyline?  She dominated season 2 and now...nothing. Why?

And I agree with all the previous comments about the use of stereotypes.

AND there's hardly any music this season!  Have they blown the budget on the Christmas album?  In seasons 1 and 2, especially 2, the music saved the show.

Seriously, if this is what some of the finest writers in LA can produce with everything they have at their disposal - a really good cast (the main characters anyway), a great location and a fantastic premise for good storylines - it's a joke.  This has to be the biggest TV viewing disappointment of my life.  I guess the question is what keeps me watching?  I'm not sure but something does, which makes me think/hope the show might get better at some point before cancellation provided they (a) ditch the characters no one gives a **** about - and there are many of them; (b) stop saving the good stuff for later to keep people watching - it's going to turn people off really soon; © listen to what the audience is saying; and (d) allow the characters to remain true rather than flipping out to facilitate bad plot.   

• Love 3

Just thinking though, there are some things I do like and maybe these are why I still watch:

Juliette

Luke, because I'm getting the feeling the tide has turned against him and that's fun to watch

Rayna, though I think she has become a self-righteous hypocrite - never been sure if this is intentional or just the bad writing - but I love Connie Britton

Deacon

Scarlett and Gunnar (ignoring their current crazy storylines)

But she got tons of backlash for being made to look like she said "There is no god" or whatever, last season ... It seems like the conservative, deeply religious country music fans who would be so up in arms about that might be at least a little judgey about her out of wedlock pregnancy too.  Real life conservatives were up in arms about the fictional TV character Murphy Brown's out of wedlock pregnancy in the early 90s!

Country music fans aren't quite that stuck in the past anymore. You can partially thank Vince Gill and Amy Grant for that. They both left their spouses for each other and that kind of forced the industry to get a little less prudish. I remember seeing interviews promoting their Christmas album years and years ago where they were talking about their deep faith and cracking up. Money talks louder than morals even in country music. That said, Juliette just came back from her atheism "scandal" and her "Don't Throw Dirt on My Grave" moment at the Opry and yet somehow she gets a role playing country music icon Patsy Cline. This show decides on a show by show basis how tolerant country music fans are.

Just thinking though, there are some things I do like and maybe these are why I still watch:

Juliette

Luke, because I'm getting the feeling the tide has turned against him and that's fun to watch

Rayna, though I think she has become a self-righteous hypocrite - never been sure if this is intentional or just the bad writing - but I love Connie Britton

Deacon

Scarlett and Gunnar (ignoring their current crazy storylines)

The sad thing for me is I'm watching this show with the idea that all of the crazy inconsistent behavior is bad writing, so I can't blame the characters. But I think that means it's a bad show.

I'm nostalgic about Rayna, Deacon, Gunnar and Scarlett. I can't believe I disliked Avery so much and want that Avery back because at least I felt something. I couldn't stand Juliette in season 1, but I feel as if she's turning out to be the most interesting character these days. And the big fail for me regarding the show is how much I don't know whether these changes to the characters and show are intentional, as you say about Rayna's character, or accidental.

• Love 2

The sad thing for me is I'm watching this show with the idea that all of the crazy inconsistent behavior is bad writing, so I can't blame the characters. But I think that means it's a bad show.

I'm nostalgic about Rayna, Deacon, Gunnar and Scarlett. I can't believe I disliked Avery so much and want that Avery back because at least I felt something. I couldn't stand Juliette in season 1, but I feel as if she's turning out to be the most interesting character these days. And the big fail for me regarding the show is how much I don't know whether these changes to the characters and show are intentional, as you say about Rayna's character, or accidental.

I think I might just start watching season 1 on a loop.  It was far better than anything that has come since (although the signs of the crazy were there - Juliette's hectic storyline arc). If they could just get it together and cut out all the awful and increase the amount of good - as I said before there is some - it would be a great show.  But at the moment as you say it's a bad show that I can't seem to stop watching, but not in a soooo bad it's good way.

• Love 1

MisterS: it's definitely gotten worse. I started rewatching from season one in an attempt to figure out why in the world this show is still on and I still watch it, and back them, it really was good! I'm only on about episode eight, so I'm not sure when it all goes to hell, but I really think it wasn't until last season sometime. Maybe it was the pork blood? Or the murder? Or when they committed to Luke? But at the beginning, it truly was good, a character-driven drama that didn't drown in cliches, had great music, had well rounded characters, was well acted, and was interesting. And I actually cared about all the main characters! They've really blown it with this show. What a waste.

• Love 1
My jaw hit the floor when Luke demanded of Teddy "and just where were you?".  Um, excuse me but where does he get off?  A) Maddie ain't your kid, B) that ain't your house and C) where Teddy was ain't your business, don't you have a son involved here that you should be talking to?

That wasn't Luke, that was Deacon.

Was that Deacon?  Well, I sit corrected then.  But he still has some nerve being critical of Teddy's parenting.  I realize his lack of parenting experience is through no fault of Deacon's, but him coming down on Teddy is kind of like someone with a new born criticising the parenting of someone who has a teenager.  Dude should try doing some of the hard work before acting like the expert.  The first (and only) time he was challenged with bratty teenager he totally threw Rayna under the bus ("I did ask her to marry me!"). 

I just don't like everyone treating Teddy like a glorified babysitter instead of an actual parent.  And I don't even care much about that character!

• Love 1

Nice to finally see Deacon singing again and Sara Evans earned herself a fan tonight, she even managed to make Will sound good.

I have been wondering why Will Chase, who is an experienced music theater performer, sings country with such a weak (low & quiet) voice.  I assume that it's a character choice or maybe just a mixing choice, but it makes it hard for me to believe that he would be a big star that way.  Compare it to Chris Carmack's stronger style that comes across much better, in my opinion.  

I thought Rayna and Teddy handled the Maddie situation rather well up until they came up with the nanny solution. Had she been a child of mine, she would have gotten her head cracked open for starters. The obvious solution is for Deacon to get released from the tour he doesn't even want to be on so he can spend some time with Maddie. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if Daphne came along. 

While watching the show, I was pretty convinced that their "solution" was going to be to release Deacon from the tour and let him take care of Maddie.  Also, right after they informed Maddie about the nanny, the show cut to Scarlett walking along.  Hmmm.

Edited by LadyHa
  • Love 1

MisterS: it's definitely gotten worse. I started rewatching from season one in an attempt to figure out why in the world this show is still on and I still watch it, and back them, it really was good! I'm only on about episode eight, so I'm not sure when it all goes to hell, but I really think it wasn't until last season sometime. Maybe it was the pork blood? Or the murder? Or when they committed to Luke? But at the beginning, it truly was good, a character-driven drama that didn't drown in cliches, had great music, had well rounded characters, was well acted, and was interesting. And I actually cared about all the main characters! They've really blown it with this show. What a waste.

They blew it the instant they decided to have Edgehill offer Scarlett a solo contract behind Gunnar's back. That was the most ridiculous plot contrivance you could ever think about, and it destroyed their dynamic, followed by a complete character assassination of Gunnar over the next episodes in order to create synthetic drama. That was the point where they apparently decided that pointless soap clichés were more important than having the couple generating by-far-and-away the best material staying true to character, staying together and keep doing just that.

I watched the show with my friend a few weeks ago up to and including episode 14 of season 1. Afterwards he said, "well, that was actually really good." I haven't been able to stomach showing him any more episodes after that one.

Edited by Telepath

I think maybe it was the pork blood. At the end of season 1 they were committing (I thought) to the Peggy pregnancy story but then with the miscarriage/fake miscarriage and murder they did a total u-turn for whatever reason. And the other thing that tipped me over the edge was both Deacon and Teddy both being involved with Megan and then forgetting about her almost instantly! These kind of stories are just sooo ridiculous they are an insult to the intelligence of the audience.  This season I can think of Scarlett and the homeless guy; Gunnar and his old girlfriend/son or nephew; and Layla goes psycho.  Don't care about any of them.

I think they made a mistake breaking up key relationships at the end of season 1. Then didn't know what to do with the protagonists in season 2.  So they introduced a whole load of extraneous characters and storylines instead.

Unfortunately I'm hooked on the characters and so far although it's really bad sometimes there is just enough good, even occasional flashes of brilliance, to keep me watching.  For how long I don't know. But so far I'm still in.  I've seen some spoilers and to an extent these are keeping me going. But it's a total missed opportunity, so frustrating.

Weirdly I'm quite enjoying Luke in the unravelling of his relationship with Rayna and I think Will Chase is doing a good job but that's probably because I want to see Rayna back with Deacon.

They blew it the instant they decided to have Edgehill offer Scarlett a solo contract behind Gunnar's back. That was the most ridiculous plot contrivance you could ever think about, and it destroyed their dynamic, followed by a complete character assassination of Gunnar over the next episodes in order to create synthetic drama. That was the point where they apparently decided that pointless soap clichés were more important than having the couple generating by-far-and-away the best material staying true to character, staying together and keep doing just that.

Yes,  This too.

Lilybee, your wondering why Trisha Yearwood and Garth Brooks didn't get a smash name - I assume you're referring to their version of "Ruke"?  You got my wordplay-loving brain going with that.  I think I know why they didn't bother because all I could come up with was -

Garish, Garisha, Grisha, Garsha - UGH

Trith - sounds like someone with a lisp saying Trish (quite silly)

Trarth - very difficult to say

Trigar, Trishgar - sound like East Indian words.  Not bad, but really, why bother??

After reading all the comments for this week's show, all I can say is I am very glad I never watched season 1 & 2.  I would be sick with disappointment over the tailspin Nashville has apparently gone into.  As it is, with only 5 episodes under my viewing belt, I'm beginning to wonder if my time might be better spent cleaning out my sock drawer, or doing the LA Times crossword puzzle. 

What will probably keep me coming back, at least for a while, is the acting.  Given the dog's breakfast of storylines, dialog, and set-ups the writers are giving the actors on this show, I have to say that Connie Britton and company, with only a few exceptions (the woman playing Zoey leaves me cold) are doing an incredible job.  And Hayden's work is just superb, better than all the rest.   

I guess I'll stick it out a little longer, just for them. 

• Love 4
I think they made a mistake breaking up key relationships at the end of season 1. Then didn't know what to do with the protagonists in season 2.  So they introduced a whole load of extraneous characters and storylines instead.

This is spot on. You always need secondary characters to fill out the main storylines, but those characters should never (rarely...everyone once in awhile it works, but almost never) supplant the main characters and storylines. You lose the audience when you do that. Remember when this show was good and surprising things happened? Like Will kissed Gunnar (WILL KISSED GUNNAR!), and Rayna showed up at Deacon's door and told him she loved him, and Juliette tried to steal Deacon from Rayna but then she and Deacon became really good friends, and Rayna showed up for Juliette when her mother died even though they sort of hated each other. Ah, the good old days.

Telepath: The thing with Scarlett and Gunnar was so strange, not because it never happens (record labels are somewhat notorious for trying to pull lead singers out of bands), but because it made absolutely no sense. Scarlett and Gunnar's music is gorgeous together. There's no way anyone would listen to them and go, "Hmmm...yeah, the girl rocks but that boy is a loser." So yeah, contrivance.

The only songs I've downloaded from the show have been the duets between Scarlet and Gunnar. One of the more mystifying things is that the show has done nothing to bring them together. Not only did they bring in Zoe, they are dragging in an ex-girlfriend and child to keep them apart. Scarlet has the prettiest voice on the show (IMO), and it feels like they are edging her out of the story.

• Love 1

Clearly this is a YMMV thing, because I am enjoying the show immensely. Yes, stupid things happen and I wish Layla would go away, but nothing has happened yet that would make me stop watching it cold turkey. I will say though, that after everything else she has been through, if Juliette loses her baby, that might be it for me. 

• Love 1

Telepath: The thing with Scarlett and Gunnar was so strange, not because it never happens (record labels are somewhat notorious for trying to pull lead singers out of bands), but because it made absolutely no sense. Scarlett and Gunnar's music is gorgeous together. There's no way anyone would listen to them and go, "Hmmm...yeah, the girl rocks but that boy is a loser." So yeah, contrivance.

Yeah, it was strange on so many different levels.

First you have to assume that Scarlett, who has never shown herself to be a fame whore on any level, would be okay with ditching her songwriting partner, who she just managed to hook up with after a fair bit of trouble; a guy she is quite obviously madly in love with.

Second you have to assume that Watty White (?) endorsing them as a duo would mean absolutely nothing, as well as all the other people who were practically dropped flat by their performance at the birthday party for Deacon.

Third the thing that he did not show up to the meeting after his brother had just been murdered would suddenly be a deal breaker and would certainly not merit a reschedule.

Like I said, I could buy all the storylines on the show up to that point. This is where they really jumped the shark.

Edited by Telepath
  • Love 1

MadamMagpie  -  I agree season 1 was the best that's why I continued watching Nashville. The characters were great each of them Rayna, Juliette, Deacon, Scarlett, Gummar and even Avery. There was so much potential and these character kept us watching week after week. Rayna was a strong woman who took charge of her life, Juliette was one hell of a performer, Deacon was the best guitarist, song writer, Scarlett/Gunnar were great together even Watty saw that.You were rooting for them to be successful in such a competitive industry.

Callie Khouri, creator of Nashville is she still creating stories, character interactions or is she just a figure head at this point. I can't believe as talanted as she is she's allowing Nashville to go down a dark hole. Question, main characters how many years did they sign up for 3,4 or 5? If one of the main characters wants to leave (Connie, Hayden, Charles) that's the end of Nashville.

I think the standard is that people sign seven-year contracts when they agree to a network TV show, but I can't swear to that and I don't know if that's what everyone on this show did. They probably are contractually obligated to stay at this point, regardless of their opinions of the show's direction, but I just don't understand why the stars like Connie Britton and Hayden Panettiere or even Eric Close and Jonathan Jackson don't have some pull...or maybe they do. For all I know, they're perfectly happy with how the show is going. Or maybe they're happy enough and glad to have jobs and just really enjoy the group of people they work with. I really have no idea, but I remember an interview where Connie Britton was asked if she had any beefs with the storytelling on Friday Night Lights and she said something like, "The murder...obviously." That murder plotline, which pretty much everyone who watched that show hated, was one single soapy ridiculous storyline on a show that was otherwise brilliant. And I'm just like...if she was bugged by the murder on Friday Night Lights, I can't help but wonder what the frak she thinks about this nonsense. And I don't understand why she doesn't have the sway to try to fix it. But maybe either she doesn't care or I overestimate Connie Britton's pull.

Edited by madam magpie

That murder plotline, which pretty much everyone who watched that show hated, was one single soapy ridiculous storyline on a show that was otherwise brilliant. And I'm just like...if she was bugged by the murder on Friday Night Lights, I can't help but wonder what the frak she thinks about this nonsense. And I don't understand why she doesn't have the sway to try to fix it. But maybe either she doesn't care or I overestimate Connie Britton's pull.

It's just what you said. The murder was one single storyline. The bad writing on Nashville encompasses all the show.

Q - Can Teddy really be that gullible and naïve?

A - Yes

Q - Could Jeff be any more of a horrible person?

A - Yes. I'm thinking the worst is yet to come for Jeff

Q - Could Luke be any more of a fame-whore-lovin' dirt-bag?

A - Maybe even worse than imagined.

Q - Is Will tragic or just stupid?

A - Both

Q - Should Layla just go away?

A - Yes, definitely yes.

Q - Should Zoe, Gunner's ex, Teddy's call-girl and Deacon's ho go with her?

A - Most definitely, yes, yes, yes and yes!

Q - Should Rayna maybe cancel the tour and stay home instead of hiring a nanny?

A - Yes, or make sure the girls father isn't out whoring around and letting them throw parties at least

Q - Should Rayna dump Luke?

A - Oh Yes!!

Q - Should Juliette tell Avery to piss off?

A - Yes

Q -  Can I stop hate-watching this show?

A - Sadly, no

• Love 3

I don't have a problem with Deacon asking Teddy, where he was.  The fact that he hasn't known, for long, that he was Maddie's Daddy, is irrelevant.  She is his Daughter he loves her, and of course he was concerned, and very upset.

It seems like a question that any parent might have.  

I don't really dislike Teddy, but, for me, his Great Daddy title will always come with a caveat.  He was very willing to raise Maddie on a lie, in fact he insisted on it, agreeing to marry Rayna and raise the child as his own, with the condition, they not tell Deacon. That Teddy be the only Daddy.  

I  can understand their fear, at the time of her birth, that Deacon would never be a stable Father.  But, they had the option of putting the ball in Deacon's court.  Of saying "This child is your's biologically.  Whether or not you want to be a Father, is entirely up to you. As long as we KNOW that you are clean and sober, you can be in her life. The first time we have reason to believe that isn't true, we'll do whatever we have to, to protect her.  If that means, going to court to have your parental rights revoked, so be it. " 

Teddy's demand was selfish, and, apparently, at no time, even after the birth of his own biological Daughter, even after all the years of sobriety, on Deacon's part, did he question and regret the opportunity, to be a Father, that he was keeping from another Man.

Teddy and Rayna were raising Maddie on a lie.  It's not like Deacon was a dangerous man, that they were keeping out of their lives at all cost.  It's not like he was regularly on and off the wagon, and there was no predicting when he would fall again. He was a part of their lives, particularly Rayna's, on an almost daily basis. He was Uncle Deacon, to the girl's.  They had to know, that, at some point, the lie would be revealed.  Did they think, it would be easier for Maddie to deal with, if she found out, when she was 30?

The Road To Hell Is Paved with Good Intentions, and all that.  For me, there is no way to spin this, that Deacon didn't deserve to know.  Teddy has been and is, a wonderful and loving Dad to both girls, but, the lie was wrong.    

• Love 2

See, most people distrust Luke, but the one *I* don't trust is Sadie. She feels too SWF to me on some level. Luke is merely the wrong guy for Rayna because of Deacon being her OneTrueLove, but I don't think he's malicious. Sadie, I'm not so sure of (see: the secret wedding dress photo. See also: driving recklessly with a celebrity who escaped near death in a motor vehicle accident.) Be interesting to see where that goes.

• Love 1

I seem to be mixing up storylines, but I thought that Rayna and Teddy knew that there was a chance that Maddie was not his biologically, but they decided not to find out and raise her as if she was.

• Love 1

I think they made a mistake breaking up key relationships at the end of season 1. Then didn't know what to do with the protagonists in season 2.  So they introduced a whole load of extraneous characters and storylines instead.

Let me add my agreement with this too. Way too many extraneous characters have been given frontline status on the show. The headliners were Rayna and Juliette with the other characters revolving around them. Now we have all of the mess with Gunnar and Zoe and Micah and Kiley and Layla, etc., which really takes away from the show's core. They should have stuck with Gunnar and Scarlett singing and writing together as the up-and-coming artists regardless of whether they were together romantically. Liked the addition of Will, but would like to see a more realistic portrayal of a closeted gay country singer. And I liked the development of Hwy 65 and Juliette and Rayna joining together, but we never see them conducting business, rarely see Rayna actually recruiting new talent, and Jeff is so poorly written, he might as well be twirling his mustache. It'd be so much better if he was real person, not just someone so clearly "evil." Would love to see Rayna butting heads with him in a real bidding war for an artist. 

But maybe either she doesn't care or I overestimate Connie Britton's pull.

Doesn't she have a producing credit this season?

Losing T. Bone Burnett has had an impact too, I think. There's been too little music on the show and so much of it has been played in the background rather than front and center. I miss the days of listening to Scarlett and Gunnar, Deacon and Juliette, etc. work out the lyrics of a song and then get to play it in full (or mostly). Rayna, Luke and Deacon are touring, but we've only heard tiny snippets of music from them. And no closing montages. Has their budget been cut so much that they can't buy songs? Surely they could work out some kind of promotional deal with the artists who write them? Rayna, Deacon, Juliette, and the music were what pulled me in. I stay for Deacon and Maddie and the hope that things will get better.

• Love 4

I seem to be mixing up storylines, but I thought that Rayna and Teddy knew that there was a chance that Maddie was not his biologically, but they decided not to find out and raise her as if she was.

They knew pretty much from the outset that Maddie was Deacon's. That's what the paternity test was for, the one Maddie found in the strongbox in the bedroom closet that tipped her off.

Julie23 - Questions and answers perfectly asked and answered.

Pattycat - Where have you been I agree with your post 100% it's what I've said for the last 2 years. Perfectly written (THANKS) Adding if Maddie hadn't found the paternity test both Rayna and Teddy never would have told Deacon. Deacon said it straight to Rayna's face, her answer was "you don't know that" If at anytime Rayna thought Deacon was in anyway dangerous to be around why did she keep him in her band and have him connect with the girls and call him Uncle Deacon. Rayna had that big meltdown on lying but she continues to lie, why the writers continue down that path baffles me.

Rayna had that big meltdown on lying but she continues to lie, why the writers continue down that path baffles me.

She's really lying to herself, big time. Wonder what, if anything, will force her to come clean? Or will we just find out that Luke's a jerk and have Rayna go back to being everybody's queen without batting an eye?

She's really lying to herself, big time. Wonder what, if anything, will force her to come clean? Or will we just find out that Luke's a jerk and have Rayna go back to being everybody's queen without batting an eye?

Do you really think Nashville will ever make Rayna say she's sorry about anything? Treating the men around her like shit is just another way of her being a Strong, Enabled Woman.

• Love 2

Doesn't she have a producing credit this season?

She does. I think she's had it from the start. And I always thought that mattered, but a friend of mine who worked in TV for many years said that the role of "producer" is actually very different in different fields. So on the news, for example, the executive producer plays a huge role and basically directs the broadcast. On a movie, the producer often deals with the money/financing. On a TV show, producers are often either the main writers or a credit they give the main actor/actors "to keep them happy." The level of influence that actor/producer has varies widely apparently, and there's no real way to tell just from looking at the credits...or so I'm told.

I've reached the point where I really think this is how it will go. For all of season one and most of season two, I really thought we were going somewhere with Rayna, that she was this messed up, troubled, gifted, talented, ballsy successful woman who was at a crossroads in her life both professionally and personally. She'd made some questionable, though certainly understandable, choices and told some whoppers of lies to the people she loved most, and was now going to have to find a way to make all that right in order to restructure her life and image and create a life she loved. She was so devoted to Deacon despite their strained relationship and so dependent on him and so tortured about this big decision she'd made and so commited to her children, and I thought the whole point of their story was going to be, "How in the world do these broken people find their way back to each other?" But somewhere in season two, that all fell apart, and I think it's because the writers see her as in the right and heroic. I don't think we're ever going to get Rayna really owning her life and lies because the people creating her don't think there's anything wrong with her decisions. I think Luke and Rayna will have some falling out over money or fame or parenting, they'll break up, maybe she'll date someone else, and eventually she and Deacon will just reconcile because they're meant to be together. But the interesting and dramatic self-evaluation and work that Rayna would need to do were she a real person won't happen. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it any other way right now. And this character of Rayna, as far as I'm concerned, is a self-righteous jerk whom I'm rooting against and kind of want to fail.

Yes and no, and I think the confusion is that it was written badly. When Deacon confronted Rayna about Maddie at the end of the first season and then when Rayna/Teddy spoke to Maddie, Rayna acted like she'd had no idea who her baby's father was and so she picked Teddy hoping for the best because he was stable. Then they did a paternity test to see for sure and it turned out she was wrong. However, at the beginning of season two and ever since, Rayna has acted like she knew all along the baby was probably Deacon's and the paternity test was a formality. That seems like a more likely scenario to me anyway because even though Rayna is a dumbass, I find it hard to believe she was in a relationship with Teddy and not using some kind of birth control. One mad, unplanned night with Deacon thinking she was going to marry him, though, and I can see someone taking the chance of pregnancy. I also do think it's entirely possible that Rayna spun the story to Teddy of not knowing who the baby's father was so that he believed it when they got married, but I just don't believe that Rayna herself didn't really know.

ETA:

Do you really think Nashville will ever make Rayna say she's sorry about anything? Treating the men around her like shit is just another way of her being a Strong, Enabled Woman.

I don't, no, and that's a huge fail. Rayna's never said she's sorry to any of the people she hurt with this choice and these are the people she supposedly loves most in the world. She's sorry Maddie had trouble dealing with the fallout, she's sorry Maddie was upset that her parents were losers, but sorry that she lied to and hurt them? I don't anymore believe Rayna is sorry. And that fact will alienate the audience from the character. Audiences will forgive a lot in a fictional character if they understand the person's motivation and empathize with the situation. But they aren't going to love someone who absolutely should be contrite and sorry but just moves on and never confronts what she did. I believe that's why so many people have come to dislike Rayna so much.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

For all of season one and most of season two, I really thought we were going somewhere with Rayna, that she was this messed up, troubled, gifted, talented, ballsy successful woman who was at a crossroads in her life both professionally and personally. She'd made some questionable, though certainly understandable, choices and told some whoppers of lies to the people she loved most, and was now going to have to find a way to make all that right in order to restructure her life and image and create a life she loved. She was so devoted to Deacon despite their strained relationship and so dependent on him and so tortured about this big decision she'd made and so commited to her children, and I thought the whole point of their story was going to be, "How in the world do these broken people find their way back to each other?" But somewhere in season two, that all fell apart, and I think it's because the writers see her as in the right and heroic.

This, exactly this. That, and I think Callie was really enamored with Will Chase/Luke Wheeler, so whatever reconciliation story might have been there got shelved.

• Love 1

This, exactly this. That, and I think Callie was really enamored with Will Chase/Luke Wheeler, so whatever reconciliation story might have been there got shelved.

No. It was never about reconciliation. Precisely after the Big Lie blew up in her face, they had the car crash because Rayna should not ever have to deal with her own duplicity in any way.

Edited by Telepath
  • Love 1

MadamMagpie - Your right on about the title of producer comment. My brother works at WB as an editor and he says that's the way it is just another title to keep some actors happy having a title when the credits roll. Exceptions, Mark Harmon and maybe Charlie Sheen (before he was canned) because their series are still on air over 10 years plus.

Precisely after the Big Lie blew up in her face, they had the car crash because Rayna should not ever have to deal with her own duplicity in any way.

Like the part where she was the one actually driving the car? They always seem to overlook that.

• Love 1

Exactly! I totally get that Deacon was wasted and screaming at her and Rayna was a basket case as a result. I don't hate her for crashing the car, and I'm sure Deacon would only blame himself. But Rayna wouldn't just blame him! Any normal, sane person would feel tremendous guilt over and fear about that crash...almost leaving her kids motherless, almost killing two of Maddie's parents, almost killing Deacon whom Rayna supposedly loves immensely, fear over almost dying herself. But no, nothing from Rayna except a brief mention of the motherless children and then back to "It's all Deacon's fault." No matter that she was driving! And he told her not to come!

Edited by madam magpie

LadyHa, on 31 Oct 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

I have been wondering why Will Chase, who is an experienced music theater performer, sings country with such a weak (low & quiet) voice.  I assume that it's a character choice or maybe just a mixing choice, but it makes it hard for me to believe that he would be a big star that way.  Compare it to Chris Carmack's stronger style that comes across much better, in my opinion. 

I saw the actor on The View, and was shocked that I found him to be everything Luke is not.  He was sexy, charming, and utterly irresistible.

marceline, on 31 Oct 2014 - 08:24 AM, said:

Country music fans aren't quite that stuck in the past anymore. You can partially thank Vince Gill and Amy Grant for that. They both left their spouses for each other and that kind of forced the industry to get a little less prudish. I remember seeing interviews promoting their Christmas album years and years ago where they were talking about their deep faith and cracking up. Money talks louder than morals even in country music. That said, Juliette just came back from her atheism "scandal" and her "Don't Throw Dirt on My Grave" moment at the Opry and yet somehow she gets a role playing country music icon Patsy Cline. This show decides on a show by show basis how tolerant country music fans are.

I personally believe that country music fans can be fickle and hypocritical, just like the industry itself.  I also think there's an old-fashioned almost glorification of alcoholism.  I was young when Keith Whitley died, but I thought he surely died saving a school bus filled with children, and Lorrie Morgan played the war widow for years.  It was very strange.  Hank Williams was tragically self-destructive which caused his death, but you would think he was murdered in cold blood.  Alcoholism is almost treated as a natural consequence of singing - Hank Jr's Family Tradition - "Why do you drink?  To get drunk", after all it's a family tradition.  I think Deacon's alcoholism has been portrayed perfectly, but this business of Avery and Layla becoming alcoholics over night - dismisses everything we've learned about addiction.  And by addiction, I mean only alcohol.  Alcohol is cool in country music, drugs - not so much.  You must be a loser.

Continuing on my hypocrisy and fickle point - When Toby Keith said the Dixie Chicks, "attacked the president on foreign soil!!!" - one would think that Natalie, Emily, and Martie stormed the white house with automatic weapons, gunning for W.  Ridiculous on Toby Keith's part, but the country music business and the fans as well.

Lastly, Wynona Judd didn't marry her first husband until she was pregnant with her second child.  No biggie to me.  But I then watched her appear on Oprah with her mother and sister, and Wynona sat there piously criticizing and expressing her disapproval for the "cursing" that occurs in Ashley Judd's films.  I love the Judds, but I'm glad their perfect family act finally ended, and they've acknowledged that they put the "D" in dysfunction.

madam magpie, on 31 Oct 2014 - 1:56 PM, said:

I think the standard is that people sign seven-year contracts when they agree to a network TV show, but I can't swear to that and I don't know if that's what everyone on this show did. They probably are contractually obligated to stay at this point, regardless of their opinions of the show's direction, but I just don't understand why the stars like Connie Britton and Hayden Panettiere or even Eric Close and Jonathan Jackson don't have some pull...or maybe they do. For all I know, they're perfectly happy with how the show is going. Or maybe they're happy enough and glad to have jobs and just really enjoy the group of people they work with. I really have no idea, but I remember an interview where Connie Britton was asked if she had any beefs with the storytelling on Friday Night Lights and she said something like, "The murder...obviously." That murder plotline, which pretty much everyone who watched that show hated, was one single soapy ridiculous storyline on a show that was otherwise brilliant. And I'm just like...if she was bugged by the murder on Friday Night Lights, I can't help but wonder what the frak she thinks about this nonsense. And I don't understand why she doesn't have the sway to try to fix it. But maybe either she doesn't care or I overestimate Connie Britton's pull.

I know very little about the industry, but the bulk of the Olsen twins fortune was gleaned from production credit on all their straight to video releases.  Considering they were pre-schoolers, the production credit was strictly to maximize profits.  Their father was known to be very clever in how he managed their income.

I like Connie Britton, but I've not warmed up to her in AHS or Nashville (although I am liker her more and more).  Maybe her production credit holds very little power.  I don't hold her accountable for the messy writing on Rayna, CB is a middle-aged single mother.  Roles completely dry up at her age, and she's the sole bread winner.  I am shock at how awful Rayna's makeup and wardrobe are.  On AHS, I thought she was drop-dead gorgeous.  Her hair, makeup, and wardrobe reflected a confident, sexy woman.  I thought she had a banging body.  Rayna - they put the most horrendous blue shimmery eye makeup on her.  I also think she dresses a little to juvenile, and I'm constantly wondering how she got that flat butt and boxy no-waist figure, when she was voluptuous on AHS.  Considering she looked a heck of a lot better on AHS, where half the season Vivian was pregnant, tells me they simply don't know how to dress her in a flattering way.  And this is nothing against Connie's figure - I have a flat butt, and I'd prefer to have a more defined waist.

• Love 1

I don't blame Rayna for wanting to distance herself from Ruke for her CMA campaign. As she said, she's worked very hard and sacrificed a lot and wants to win for that not because she's one half of this couple that's probably not going to last. She has up until now gone along with a lot of what Luke has wanted, now the tables are about to turn and he's not going to be able to handle it, y'all. From the previews for the next episode it seems like he's going to boil over. I get the feeling that things just came to her in the past, which is why this social media, campaigning for awards etc. has taken her a bit by surprise.

Juliette, the love of our lives, is growing up. As much as she wants to reunite with Avery, I think she's going to focus on having a healthy delivery and hope for the best. She may even have a little romance with whats-his-name, her co-star, but that has its limits given her sensitive condition. She and Avery will do the slow burn toward each other.

As for Micah, I think he thinks of Gunnar as an old friend from his mother's past as opposed to one of her unreliable boyfriends, so he doesn't have his guard up. The two had fun hanging out at the diner, so why not have a little man time before they prepare to leave to live with this next new dude in Tennessee or wherever she said he is. I just hope the fact that he's probably Uncle Gunnar comes out soon.

I also hope that silly Scarlett and he will start working together soon. They made magic and need to do it again STAT and sell some songs to Highway 64 that we can download on iTunes.

I was sort of surprised that Daphne called the cops, she seems like she doesn't get flustered too easily, but she couldn't find her sister, the father wasn't answering the phone and shit was breaking in the house. 911!

I don't think Maddie was drinking, but boy did she read Luke's son wrong. Given how taken aback he was, I wondered for a second if he's gay. Maybe because I don't like Luke, and how cocky Colton has been, I wonder if he has the "I'm offering a brotherly shoulder" type of integrity. 

Teddy. He's so weak he's gonna get himself entangled with an "escort" and this time it won't be Jeff's fault because he's the one who will be paying. Also, when you force your teenage daughter to take the tween daughter with her to hang out with friends, you really need to pay better attention to your phone because the likelihood that said teen will dump or otherwise avoid the tween is a sure deal. So, he should have either hired a sitter for Daphne, told Maddie she should have stayed home and if he absolutely, positively had to go out, been keeping the sound up on his phone.

• Love 2

I think everyone is missing the point with Maddie.  Rayna seems to think the problem was "things got broken in this house".  How about exposing Daphne to drunken teenagers, and then making her fend for herself in the chaos?  Maddie lives an extremely privileged life.  I really don't think it was asking too much of her to watch after her sister.   I had plenty of friends when I was a teenager who often brought their younger siblings along.  Not once did they dump or avoid their sibling.  Poor Daphne asked for chocolate milk and told Rayna she sucks, and people called her an entitled brat.  Maddie is the entitled brat here, and she knows how to work the system.  I need Daphne to act out more, or at least have her parents acknowledge that she gets the raw deal. Of course, again, Maddie is the squeaky wheel and she got the attention.  All three parents present and soothing her as she weeps.  And now, the new nanny will make sure Maddie will never be expected to look after her sister again.

I don't have a problem with Teddy not noticing his phone was ringing.  At least he was in the same town as his kids and responded quickly when he realized there was a problem.  Rayna spends a huge amount of time with Luke, but Teddy's not allowed on a date?  And after complaining about what little time she has with her girls, Rayna signs on to DWTS which films in California?  I have no problem that Rayna has a demanding career that she loves, and I like that she didn't blame Teddy.  Deacon on the other hand, I really really like him, but suddenly he thinks he's father of the year.  I'm afraid if Deacon asked me the same question, I would have responded thusly - "Where was I?  Why raising Maddie from the day she was born.  Why don't you actually try parenting for more than a minute before you question my skills?"

• Love 2

I am hate-watching at this point and doubt that I will make it to the end of the season. There are too many characters in this show that have no purpose. As a result, there are half a dozen story lines going nowhere.

I don't recall seeing Layla take a drink before last week and now she is slugging down whiskey. Scarlett is either writing sad songs or doing wash for drifters. Every season brings a new girlfriend for Gunnar. Mayor Teddy has nothing better to do than call prostitutes. The lone music company executive in a show about the music business is a vindictive jerk. Sadie was introduced for some reason that I haven't figured out.

I can't stand Rayna. She takes no responsibility for her bad decisions. Her daughters need parenting and she hires a nanny. There is nothing remotely authentic about her conversations with Maddie and Daphne. Connie Britton seems like she is on auto pilot. Deacon needs to grow a pair and stop letting everyone treat him like a doormat. And Juliette is off in the pregnancy storyline that doesn't seem to be interacting with anything else in the show.

Poor Daphne. Maybe she can runaway and live with Aunt Tandy.

• Love 1

I'm afraid if Deacon asked me the same question, I would have responded thusly - "Where was I? Why raising Maddie from the day she was born. Why don't you actually try parenting for more than a minute before you question my skills?"

Do you think he'd have added the bit about how he was complicit in the lie that created the situation where Deacon didn't get to raise his kid?

I'd like to know what house Maddie's party wrecked. I thought it was Rayna's, but then things I read sounded like it was Teddy's. In addition to too many characters, this show also has too many settings.

In addition to too many characters, this show also has too many settings.

And too many different tour locations. I can never figure out where anyone is. And everyone seems to have jet-packs to get from one place to another.

Avery is in Nashville and then suddenly is at the hospital in Cincinnati. Deacon/Luke and Rayna arrive back in Nashville from unknown tour cities in time to find Maddie still crying at the kitchen counter.

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 1
Pattycat - Where have you been I agree with your post 100% it's what I've said for the last 2 years. Perfectly written (THANKS) Adding if Maddie hadn't found the paternity test both Rayna and Teddy never would have told Deacon. Deacon said it straight to Rayna's face, her answer was "you don't know that" If at anytime Rayna thought Deacon was in anyway dangerous to be around why did she keep him in her band and have him connect with the girls and call him Uncle Deacon. Rayna had that big meltdown on lying but she continues to lie, why the writers continue down that path baffles me.

If Rayna feared Deacon was in such a bad place, at the time of Maddie's birth, that telling him about his Daughter, would have overwhelmed him and sent him further into a downward spiral, give him a year, maybe two. He's sober, He's in her life, it's not going to be easy, but, certainly easier than having him find out, after you had resumed your relationship as lovers, but with this huge lie between you.

CertAinly easier than having him find out from his Daughter, after 13 years, as your, musical partner, best friend, and partNer in an emotional relationship, that neither of you could let go of.

I never understand when I see comments from fans that say Luke is a better choice, because Deacon is an unstable drunk. We've seen him fall off the wagon ONCE, and while it was ugly, it was also, after he had been devastated, by the one person he loved and trusted more than anyone.
  • Love 1

Lilybee, your wondering why Trisha Yearwood and Garth Brooks didn't get a smash name - I assume you're referring to their version of "Ruke"? You got my wordplay-loving brain going with that. I think I know why they didn't bother because all I could come up with was -

Garish, Garisha, Grisha, Garsha - UGH

Trith - sounds like someone with a lisp saying Trish (quite silly)

Trarth - very difficult to say

Trigar, Trishgar - sound like East Indian words. Not bad, but really, why bother??

The main reason they didn't have a pairing portmanteau is that it wasn't really a thing until Bennifer. These nicknames tend to be given when a couple starts dating, and by the time portmanteaus became the thing to do, Trisha and Garth were already an established couple. My guess is that they would have been dubbed Brookwood for lack of a better one using their first names.

a friend of mine who worked in TV for many years said that the role of "producer" is actually very different in different fields. So on the news, for example, the executive producer plays a huge role and basically directs the broadcast. On a movie, the producer often deals with the money/financing. On a TV show, producers are often either the main writers or a credit they give the main actor/actors "to keep them happy." The level of influence that actor/producer has varies widely apparently, and there's no real way to tell just from looking at the credits...or so I'm told.

Often it's a combination of getting another title and getting more money (actors who are listed as producers on their projects also get additional money for being producers). On some projects, they do get some input but it's not always for the better (see: David Boreanaz on Bones). In many cases though, the amount of input is relative to how badly the showrunners want to keep their leads happy. As an actor, you can complain about the direction of your character's storyline but in the end, you signed a contract so you are stuck there whether you like the plot or not. But that also means if you hate the way the character is being portrayed, you are more likely to be a pain in the ass at the next contract negotiation. Nick Hornby said that when About a Boy was made into a movie, they obviously bought the movie rights so he got paid but they also gave him a producer credit which gave him an additional chunk of money. He said that he did not interfere with any of their ideas in the movie version though because he understood it was a ceremonial title to give him more money.

Do you think he'd have added the bit about how he was complicit in the lie that created the situation where Deacon didn't get to raise his kid?

Quite possibly, depending on his mood.

I find it interesting that even now that everybody knows the truth, Teddy still does the majority of parenting. Probably more than Rayna and Deacon combined.

• Love 1

Oh, look. Rayna is whining. Shocker.

So Luke and Deacon *teleported* back to Nashville? Because that is the only reasonable explanation for them arriving apparently five minutes after the cops had left.

Those pants Sara Evans was wearing, apart from being hideous in their own right, did absolutely NOTHING for her.

• Love 5