Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E05: The San Dominick

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

Gibbs spots a dead man in the water during a joint Coast Guard and NCIS training exercise at sea, and the investigation reveals the man is a missing crew member from a ship 60 nautical miles away. Gibbs soon discovers the vessel has been commandeered by pirates.

• Love 1

Tony was made of awesome this episode. Seriously. Pretty much everyone was, though. I liked McGee being the boss-- up to and including making up his own rule. Some nice humor there.

Glad the female petty officer didn't die in this episode. And always good to see Borin. And surprisingly, I actually liked Bishop this episode. Failing the test and immediately wanting to take it again was very in character, as was the whole "I did it by the book" but not trusting her head and her heart/gut.

• Love 3

I don't understand why they stayed on the boat when everything looked so shady, including the "crew." Nice twist with the captain being in on it, and Tony and McGee getting to shine.

At least Leah doesn't seem to be coming back, with Borin making some mention of her in the beginning. I'm just relieved they didn't go the Borin/Tony route.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

I'm just relieved they didn't go the Borin/Tony route.

Funny, since while watching the episode I hoped it would go in that direction, realizing Borin and Tony had great chemistry.  She's definitely my favorite secondary female character on the show.

• Love 5

Good episode but I have 2 problems. Did I miss how the captain was going to get off the ship? Was he really just counting on someone finding the body? Seems like quite a long shot.

The other issue I have is that if Bishop really did watch ST2TWOK, she would have called him Admiral Kirk. He wasn't busted back down to Captain until the end of ST4TVH.

• Love 1

I have grown to love the Tony/McGee/Bishop dynamic.  I love that, while she is competent, she is clearly still learning the ropes (much like how they introduced McGee).  I love that McGee and Tony especially are coaching her on the way of Gibbs without being condescending about it.  I love that, while she teases them and they her, they also all seem to clearly respect each other.   I love that she doesn't have a special relationship with Gibbs i.e. that while he seems to like her there isn't an emphasis on their connection.

As for the rest they are really doing humor right this season.  Having it spread among everyone, instead of it always being Tony, and having it be truly funny instead of humiliating.  I really loved the humor McGee was channeling Gibbs because not only was it funny in its own right it was also a callback to references to Tony channeling Gibbs when he is in charge.  I guess they all do it.  

All in all an A+ episode.

• Love 9
I have grown to love the Tony/McGee/Bishop dynamic.  I love that, while she is competent, she is clearly still learning the ropes (much like how they introduced McGee).

I agree about the Tony/McGee/Bishop dynamic, and I think Emily is doing excellent work in showing Bishop as a Probie.  LOVED the eyes/experience talk that Tony gave her, and the follow-up by Tim about the training exercise was good too.  While I can see the obvious callback to the introduction of McGee, I also saw reminders of the introduction of Kate, specifically the episode where Kate, Tony , and Gibbs were doing that climbing exercise where Kate was repelling and Tony was holding her line.  I also flashed back to the episode where Tony and Kate were in Colombia and she followed his lead because he was SFA.  Bishop is less experienced than Kate, so it would track that Bishop would listen to Tony, but I liked the idea that everyone knows and respects the hierarchy.

The flip side to that is I didn't think Tim would react the way that he did to being the Boss.  It felt OOC to me.  For one thing, he seemed to take the news from Tony like it was a completely new concept that came from nowhere.  Tim has worked with Gibbs and Tony for years.  Gibbs has given him lead responsibilities in some cases and Vance made him head of a cyber unit for a period of time.  The concept of leadership should not be as new to McGee as he seemed to regard it.  Yes, Tim, if Gibbs and Tony are unavailable, Bishop (as the Probie) is going to take direction from you.  That should not be news.  In my opinion, this was not the best way to make the Gibbs-McGee leap that the writer was trying to make.  It made Tim look like he had amnesia about the last 10 years of his career.

Overall though, I'd consider it to be a solid, enjoyable episode.

CBS | NCIS (16.9 mil/2.4) dropped a few eyeballs and a tenth in the demo

TVLine

Edited by Ohmo

I've really been enjoying this season.  The writing seems more balanced with everyone playing a role without being stupid.  I like that Bishop doesn't side with Tony over McGee or vice versa.  It makes the relationships seem more normal and without the tensions of the past.  I only wish we would see more Jimmy.  How's he dealing with Breena being pregnant.

They had me guessing last night.  I thought the bad guy was going to turn out to be the first mate.

• Love 3

This was good.  Not great but a really good solid episode.  I so love grown up, funny Tony.  The fact that Bishop was allowed to fail, as opposed to Ziva who was never allowed to fail, made me happy and made me love Bishop even more than I already did.

The McGee stuff was cute and funny and a little painful.  But rule 70, really.  Even though I knew it was coming, I did love the Gibbs "Rule 70, really?" moment.  It needed to be in there.  Tony and McGee are nipping at Gibbs' heels.

I wish that Gibbs had not managed to pass the test.  I do not like my hero's to be that infallible.  It makes them most boring.  He needs to occasionally straight out fail, not tragically fail or fail because he's Gibbs and won't play by the rules but just fail at something.  This was their perfect opportunity.

• Love 2

Good episode but I have 2 problems. Did I miss how the captain was going to get off the ship? Was he really just counting on someone finding the body? Seems like quite a long shot.

The other issue I have is that if Bishop really did watch ST2TWOK, she would have called him Admiral Kirk. He wasn't busted back down to Captain until the end of ST4TVH.

I don't know if Captain had any real plans, more like stuck in a bad situation and wanted the guy dead. The money and bomb seemed more like a bonus add on for him.

Did Bishop say Captain Kirk ? I thought she just said Kirk. But i really liked that she watched a movie that she clearly wasn't interested in to understand Tim's metaphor better.

Overall i just enjoyed this ep, lots of little moments that made up a great ep to watch and seemed very old school NCIS.

• Love 3

I wish that Gibbs had not managed to pass the test. I do not like my hero's to be that infallible. It makes them most boring. He needs to occasionally straight out fail, not tragically fail or fail because he's Gibbs and won't play by the rules but just fail at something. This was their perfect opportunity.

But they already showed Gibbs being wrong/failing. It happened waaaay back in season 4 when he was sporting that horrid Wilford Brimley 'stache where Fornell came to him to ask Gibbs' help to recapture a guy they had put away for murder. Turns out the guy, a petty officer, I think, was innocent and the real murderer was played by Hal Holbrook.

And we also know from flashbacks that early in his NIS/NCIS careers, Gibbs has made his share of mistakes, so I am not one who is hoping to see h fail at this point in his career.

I wish that Gibbs had not managed to pass the test.  I do not like my hero's to be that infallible.  It makes them most boring.  He needs to occasionally straight out fail, not tragically fail or fail because he's Gibbs and won't play by the rules but just fail at something.  This was their perfect opportunity.

I don't think he did pass. I think he told Tony and McGee he passed. 

But they already showed Gibbs being wrong/failing. It happened waaaay back in season 4 when he was sporting that horrid Wilford Brimley 'stache where Fornell came to him to ask Gibbs' help to recapture a guy they had put away for murder. Turns out the guy, a petty officer, I think, was innocent and the real murderer was played by Hal Holbrook.

Thank you for the memory as I love that episode.

The problem with that GHScorpiosRule is that throughout that whole episode, even though Gibbs was wrong you never felt he was wrong so much as miss informed.  Compare that episode with the one where Tony put the wrong guy in jail and they spent the entire episode talking about how wrong Tony was.  It had a completely different feel to it.   It felt like it really wasn't Gibbs fault in the first episode and it was absolutely Tony's fault in the second.

The problem with that GHScorpiosRule is that throughout that whole episode, even though Gibbs was wrong you never felt he was wrong so much as miss informed. Compare that episode with the one where Tony put the wrong guy in jail and they spent the entire episode talking about how wrong Tony was. It had a completely different feel to it. It felt like it really wasn't Gibbs fault in the first episode and it was absolutely Tony's fault in the second.

It had a different feel because each of those episodes were by different show runners.

But tomato and tomahto and all that.

I think I've seen plenty of fallibility in Gibbs over the past several years.  For one, there's an actual rule now: Sometimes you're wrong.  Secondly, Gibbs pretty much said to either Stephanie and/or Diane that he was being unfair to them when he married them.  Tony and McGee are fully aware that Gibbs has issues with technology and with personal interactions.  He uses a flip phone, and Tony collects all of Gibbs' medals and ribbons.  Heck, one of the reasons that Tony gave up the Rota position was because he was worried about Gibbs.  That certainly doesn't suggest infallibility to me.

This is one of those occasions where I remember that I'm watching a TV show.  IRL, Tony would have had his own team for years, and McGee would likely be working in cyber crimes.  In the show, I think the "aura of Gibbs" has become more a sign of respect that Tony and McGee give Gibbs.  They both have seen it not to be true (and the audience has too), but Tony and McGee would never say, "Boss, you're washed up.  Time to throw in the towel."  I think the "aura of Gibbs" is a callback to what Tony and McGee might have felt when they first started at NCIS and now know that it is no longer true, but it no longer matters to them.  They are a team, for good, bad, and always.  If Tony and McGee didn't feel that way, they've had 12 years to do something about it and haven't.

McGee and Tony are also involved in Bishop's maturation as an agent, and I bet they were both told that Gibbs passed the test whrn they started at NCIS.  Maybe he did and maybe he didn't, but it stands to reason (for me) that Tim would say the same thing that he was told as a probie.  Maybe it's fact and maybe it's lore, but Bishop will learn to draw her own conclusions about Gibbs, just as Tony and McGee have done through the years.

Edited because a prefix changes the meaning of a word.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 3

This was my favorite episode of the season so far.  I've been enjoying season 12 overall, but this one felt like old school NCIS which are my favorite episodes.  By old school I mean everyone had something to do, the case was solid, the actors were great, and I laughed.

I never hated Bishop but she fits the team better now than she did last season.  They let her be the student, and she's not letting her ego get in her to trouble right now.  Kate was the woman trying to prove herself with her male coworkers.  Ziva dealt with divided loyalty between Israel and Mossad vs. US and NCIS etc.  Ellie just wants to do better and to be a good agent and I get the sense that the team is trying to teach her instead of fight her.  It's refreshing on so many levels. 

Gibbs, Tony and McGee all had a role to play in this case without any of them fighting for power. Gibbs fought the pirates, Tony solved the case, McGee led the team back home and they all did a good job and got a chance to shine.

I like Borin and hope to see her again soon.  

Edited by Betweenthisandthat
  • Love 6

One of my favorite lines was when Tony said to Bishop (paraphrasing for bad memory): "You're going to tell the boss that he's wrong?" (Or lying, or making something up, or whatever it was.) It was just funny the way Bishop paused after that, clearly thinking, "Hmm. Yeah, that might not be the smartest career move." And perhaps weighing the odds and the numbers involved in what Gibbs' reaction would be. 

Count me in with those who love Borin. I like the way they write her character, I like the actress who plays her (she was good on White Collar as well), and I would not be opposed to her hooking up with Tony. They have terrific chemistry and it doesn't feel forced for melodrama or to manufacture a stereotypical romantic relationship. I like her like I liked Cassidy and Mann.

• Love 2

I was away from my computer last week, but have to add I really liked this also for all the reasons above.  Especially enjoyed McGee turning into "McGibbs" ha ha. (and the "Rule 70?" from Gibbs).  As said, everyone had an important part to play.  I guess they didn't show Gibbs diffusing the bomb?  But they didn't show him *not* doing it, if you know what I mean, so it's not like the show "cheated."

I do miss seeing Palmer. then again we haven't seen much of Vance lately either except for the NCIS NOLA cameos.

• Love 1

I have grown to love the Tony/McGee/Bishop dynamic.  I love that, while she is competent, she is clearly still learning the ropes (much like how they introduced McGee).  I love that McGee and Tony especially are coaching her on the way of Gibbs without being condescending about it.  I love that, while she teases them and they her, they also all seem to clearly respect each other.   I love that she doesn't have a special relationship with Gibbs i.e. that while he seems to like her there isn't an emphasis on their connection.

As for the rest they are really doing humor right this season.  Having it spread among everyone, instead of it always being Tony, and having it be truly funny instead of humiliating.  I really loved the humor McGee was channeling Gibbs because not only was it funny in its own right it was also a callback to references to Tony channeling Gibbs when he is in charge.  I guess they all do it.  

All in all an A+ episode.

I guess when you have Quality leadership, you do try to emulate them. Not unlike a child copying mom or dad.

Liked the training that Bishop did on the cruiser. Her mistake(in my eyes) was moving closer to bandit number 1(Gibbs) when he wouldn't put up his hands. Then bandit number 2 grabbed her. Was it Tony? Liked Tim in charge. Tim channeled his McGibbs. Loved him in Gibbs chair at end, and Gibbs asking about Rule 70. Thought maybe with only Tim and Bishop at HQ to investigate that Vance would have Agent Ned Dorneget help out. Also liked that Tony and Tim try to help Bishop learn and also learn about Gibbs. Her checking Star Trek 2 was cool.

I like both US Coast Guard Special Agent Abigail Borin and Army Lt. Col. Hollis Mann. Borin to date Tony, and Mann for Gibbs, lol. Borin telling Tony if he came and worked with her he'd be her solid number 3, lol.

The story line kind of confused me after that. So the drown pirate(Ernesto Verlando(sp?) that Gibbs spotted floating was the head of a team of,"Evil Boy Band", Reynaldo Aranda, Jaime Riberio, Luis Pericra, Gustavo Oliveria, and maybe 2 others? They tortured Ship Captain Tom O'Rourke and head of Security, and ex Marine, Joe Willis. Willis dies and O'Rourke gives in and decides to help them steal the Mafia money that is in one of the containers on the ship. They get out to sea, and Captain O'Rourke decides to stop Ernesto and steal the money on his own. The radio wire is cut and the Captain is stabbed. During this Ernesto is drown in the toilet and thrown over board by the Captain. He steals the money, and plants a bomb on the container thinking he can escape with the money and let the Pirates take the blame. Wounded Captain is transferred to the Naval ship. I should have known something was a miss when the Captain asked Tony about tobacco. So where did he hide the money, and how did he figure to escape? Did Arnada know about the money being gone? He didn't know about the bomb. Then unbeknownst to anyone Gibbs pulls the detonator out of bomb and lets it run down. Tony scared and wet himself LOL. Liked Tony's diaper anthology. So was the ransom money a later thought to get extra money or was that all his? How did he think they would escape? Someone coming to pick them up I guess. Gibbs thought they would not show. Or was it only O'Rourke and Ernesto that knew about the Mafia Cash? With Willis and Ernesto dead, it would have only been O'Rourke.

I thought when Gibbs, Petty Officer Patricia Felton and 1st Mate James Myers was being held by Pirate Reynaldo Aranda, that Myers would stand up if Gibbs got the upper hand and be in on it."Do you want to take her place?" asked Reynaldo to Myers."I do!" said Gibbs. I figured that when Gibbs took Felton's place to be sacrificed, that he would some how get away or get the upper hand. With Aranda bumping Gibbs into the wall as they walked, and had a gun on Gibbs and a radio to his hand listening to Tony tell him how pushy and bad Gibbs was it was only a matter of time before Gibbs got the upper hand. So the scuffle and gunshot made Tony worry, but Gibbs finally said he was ok. Then we see Jaime had Felton. I had hoped she wouldn't be killed