Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Speculation

I'm very late to the party, but I just finished Season 1, and I'm itching for next season to get here already -- mostly because the season finale left eleven hundred storylines open while only concluding one or two.

So: What's going to happen when the show comes back in April? Here are some completely uninformed, random guesses:

Mrs. S. got out with Kira just before Rachel's goon squad showed up. It won't take long for Sarah to find them, but it will take a long time for S. to answer whatever questions Sarah's birth mother was trying to raise.

Alison is trapped between the contract she signed, her monitor, and her guilt/denial over the garbage disposal. It'll take most of the season for her to reconnect with Sarah and Cosima and re-form Clone Club. I will be sad because this will deny us more fun scenes with Alison and Felix.

The next clone will be an intellectual property lawyer from Atlanta. Or maybe an ER doctor from Indiana.

Paul and Delphine will continue to be gorgeous but mostly useless.

Anyone else got thoughts?

I'm curious to see whether Sarah remains the show protagonist.  Season One was primarily (although certainly not exclusively) Sarah's story.  Will the same be true of Season Two?  Who will be the first clone we see?  That will be telling as to the season-long perspective.

I thought it was increasingly an ensemble (for some definition of "ensemble") show as the season progressed, with Sarah as first among equals. Alison certainly has no problems anchoring a plot line. Cosima might have gotten the short end of the story stick, but looking for a cure to her own illness gives her something to grapple with next season.

If the premiere doesn't start with Sarah, I'm guessing we'll see Rachel first.

I am so excited for season 2!! I think the "main" POV from here on out will continue to be Sarah, but as joshlee said, it is increasingly an ensemble show and the other clones will get more screen time and their own story. Something is special/different about Sarah, and I'm interested to know what.

Also, really interested to learn more about Rachel and what growing up "self-aware" means for her.

I have been (im)patiently waiting for this show to come back (white wine, cell phone and chardonnay on the table) for so long. I'm most curious about what's up with Mrs. S and the photo the birth mom had.  I really want her to be good and have protected Kira.

And I too am interested in Rachel.  This show does layers to characters well.  So I'm hoping we get more incite into her upbringing, her perspective and how, if at all, meeting the other clones (especially) Sarah effects her position.  I feel like her story has the most room for arc this season.

Rachel is going to be fascinating, even if I do spend half the time wondering how they got all of Tatiana Maslany's hair under that bob wig. I'm not sure it's possible for Maslany to create a clone character that isn't interesting, including the...wait. Do they have spoiler tags around here? I'm looking and not seeing. Hmmm...okay. Nevermind. But, suffice to say, I feel comfortable that any new clone introduced in Season Two or any future season will be done with care. I know I wasn't crazy about Alison when she first showed her ugly face and by the end of the first season I loved that crazy suburban kinda killer. Same with Cosima (don't die!) and Helena (don't be dead!). I wouldn't be surprised if, by the end of the season, Rachel is no longer under DYAD's influence. I wonder if Sarah and Cosima will be the first fellow clones she's interacted with and, if so, what influence that experience would have on her self-perception, which seems mighty secure from what we've been able to see thus far.

And my yearning for this show's second season has grown that I've reached to point of actually missing Paul who, while hot and...um, hot...isn't going to be accepting any awards in the acting department anytime ever. But, hey, who knows? Perhaps now that he's told Sarah why DYAD is blackmailing him he'll be free to have genuine emotions and I'll care more for his character. Or he could just take off his clothes, whichever. But Cal already has more chemistry with Sarah in the few clips I've seen so it's going to be a mighty tall order for me to not want to have him be in first position...if he lives. (I don't actually expect many of the secondary characters not in Sarah's immediate family to live for very long; it's just a vibe I get.) I also want answers about Kira's lizard-like healing powers and if they can possibly be transferred to, say, any "auntie" clones who may be experiencing upper respiratory issues. Also, more Donnie. I want to know how the heck he got "recruited" into DYAD since he doesn't exactly fit the perceived qualifications for monitor: hot, blonde, falls in love with his subject. 

Edited by DioxinBlues

I'm most curious about what's up with Mrs. S and the photo the birth mom had.  I really want her to be good and have protected Kira.

I sort of think that Mrs. S. maybe used to be part of the DYAD as a scientist, but then splintered away from them and took Sarah (and Felix) on the run to protect her, for whatever reason. Maybe morally she was against their spying techniques or the invasive nonconsensual procedures or a number of things. But, watching season one, I just don't get the feeling from Mrs. S. that she's a "bad guy". Or maybe that's me projecting because I don't want her to be a bad guy. I am curious to hear her backstory though, because clearly she was involved in some way during Sarah's conception.

Speaking of Felix, I do wonder if he's "special" too. Not a clone necessarily, but maybe something else. If Mrs. S. was involved with the DYAD and took Sarah away, I would think that Felix might be of similar importance in some way. 

And I too am interested in Rachel.  This show does layers to characters well.  So I'm hoping we get more incite into her upbringing, her perspective and how, if at all, meeting the other clones (especially) Sarah effects her position.  I feel like her story has the most room for arc this season.

I am excited about Rachel too. I think they could do a lot with her, if the arc and character development for Helena is any indication. When Helena first appeared, I thought they would take the easy route and make her the crazy one-dimensional clone, but by the end of the season, I had a lot of feelings for Helena. Tatiana and the writers did a really good job of fleshing her out and making her a real person, with conflicting thoughts and emotions and motivations, and I was sorry to see her go by the end, even though I understood why. So, if they can do that with Helena, I feel like they will do the same thing with Rachel. Or, I hope they do anyway. I'm interested to see what she's all about.

This has probably been discussed before, but I think Sarah is the "original", since normally clones are supposed to be sterile, and Kira would be the proof that sarah isn't one of the clones. Now I don't know if they'll keep it this way in this 'verse.

I'm curious about Rachel too, and now that Helena isn't in the picture, it'll be nice to explore yet another type of clone. Particularly, her motivations intrigue me.

As for Felix, I hope he remains one of the "normal" characters over there. I adore him and his interactions with Alison were great, but I wouldn't want him to be entangled into this mess on a personnal level more than he is now, i.e. a great support to Sarah and her döppelgangers.

And I want more Art too.

Edited by Coxfires

I sort of think that Mrs. S. maybe used to be part of the DYAD as a scientist, but then splintered away from them and took Sarah (and Felix) on the run to protect her, for whatever reason.

I was thinking something similar.  Maybe most of her story was true, but rather than the group that help smuggle Sarah out bringing her to Mrs. S, Mrs. S went to them.

This has probably been discussed before, but I think Sarah is the "original", since normally clones are supposed to be sterile, and Kira would be the proof that sarah isn't one of the clones. Now I don't know if they'll keep it this way in this 'verse.

It's been discussed as a possibility in the TWoP thread for the show.  And I don't see why that isn't on the table.  I have two theories:  First, is that it has something to do with her and Helena being twins.  It seemed the DYAD didn't know about Sarah so it is possible that she was a naturally occurring twin, i.e. an egg split, rather than a planned birth.  If somehow the sterility didn't carryover.  But then, if it was designed at a genetic level, then Sarah should still be the same as Helena.

My other thought is the super healing spec.  Both Helena and Sarah, but especially Helena, bounced back from pretty serious injuries much faster than normal.  And that could also have been the shocking thing the doctors saw in Kira's imaging tests, a passed on healing gene. In which case, maybe Sarah's ability to conceive is based on her body having healed whatever sterility block DYAD created (whether intentionally or by accident).

But then, if it was designed at a genetic level, then Sarah should still be the same as Helena.

The thing is, Helena was sure she was the "Original", and supposedly the guy who made her kill the other clones. If Helena and Sarah were indeed identical twins, both could be "the Original", then. It would explain why Sarah could conceive, and why Helena's "mentor" claimed she was the Original one.

The super healing theory is an interesting one though, I'm really eager to see what it is really going on there. 

• Love 1

The thing is, Helena was sure she was the "Original", and supposedly the guy who made her kill the other clones. If Helena and Sarah were indeed identical twins, both could be "the Original", then. It would explain why Sarah could conceive, and why Helena's "mentor" claimed she was the Original one.

The super healing theory is an interesting one though, I'm really eager to see what it is really going on there. 

I always thought the priest only told her that she was the original to keep her under control. I also don't think that there is an original, there could be a donor whose DNA they modified and used to create the clones.

I also wonder how they managed to do all that in the eighties, when even today we don't fully understand human DNA. But I guess from the modifications some people have (like that one guy's tail), the technology on this show might be more advanced than what we have in the real world.

I know nothing about sciencey stuff, but I'm not sure how Sarah could be the original. There are a couple of clones who were born before her, including Cosima. Wouldn't the original have to be a bit older than the clones?

Sara can't be the original since they were all born around the same time. The original would've have to been already born to make clones of her.

I'm assuming the reason for the cloning was to make a superior person. The mental and lung illnesses were the side effects of messing with the DNA, they are the defective clones. Sara on the other hand is the clone they were hoping for and she produced a child that takes that a step further to making the superior human. So Sara and Kira are the ones they really want. They would want to clone them both to see if they produce the same or even better results.

• Love 1
(edited)

I assume there will have to be something to explain Kira's ability to recover so quickly from being hit by the car... at least I hope so because that scene played to me as pretty cheap (Kira sees Sarah.... "Hi Mommy".... walks right into traffic... SPLAT... it would almost be comical if it was so not funny).  Helena recovered fairly quickly from being impaled by a pipe, but the scars on her back certainly didn't indicate any kind of super human genetic recuperative abilities.  And recovering quickly from impailings and other such maladies is not uncommon for television characters.  Perhaps Kira picked up a genetic trait that was dormant in the previous generation

Edited by Ronin Jackson

Speaking of Felix, I do wonder if he's "special" too. Not a clone necessarily, but maybe something else. If Mrs. S. was involved with the DYAD and took Sarah away, I would think that Felix might be of similar importance in some way.

I think Felix has to be special somehow.  Mrs. S seems to indicate that there were other foster children along the way but for some reason she took specifically Sarah and Felix with her when she ran. 

I also can't help but think that Mrs. S was not in on it with the Dyad.  Everything she does in the first season seems about helping Sarah/protecting Kira, I don't think her secretly being in on it with Dyad at this point makes sense.

One thing I hope they delve into in Season 2 - why Sarah left Kira in the first place?

Sara can't be the original since they were all born around the same time. The original would've have to been already born to make clones of her.

I'm assuming the reason for the cloning was to make a superior person. The mental and lung illnesses were the side effects of messing with the DNA, they are the defective clones. Sara on the other hand is the clone they were hoping for and she produced a child that takes that a step further to making the superior human. So Sara and Kira are the ones they really want. They would want to clone them both to see if they produce the same or even better results.

This.  I think that during the in vitro implementation, just to be safe, they only used one cloned embryo in each donor womb, which is why Dr. Leekie had no clue who Sarah was, but was aware of Helena.

After watching Season One on marathon last Monday, when I stumbled onto this gem of a show, here are my thoughts about:

-  Donnie (Allison's "monitor"):  It was stated that he was dating her during HS, so they've been together forever.  After slogging through the thread at TWoP, I didn't see this idea posited -- namely that *his* parents are Neolutionists and he was brought up as a believer, therefore the relationship was encouraged.  There was talk there about his "affair" - but I cannot remember if it was a fling during a breakup, during which time he could have very well been recruited, but there's no evidence that affair ever existed as it could have been Donnie's cover.  Also, Donnie, unlike the other monitors, reported directly to Dr. Leekie, so wouldn't he have to have some sort of "in?"

- About Mrs. S., I want her to be good, but what I don't understand is, if she is in fact an ex-member of DYAD and left, became Sarah's foster mother in bloody England, but was told she needed to take Sarah and disappear if it looked like shit was going to hit the fan, why in bloody fuck would she take Sarah (and Felix) and abscond to.....Toronto, where DYAD HQ exists?  That was a serious WTF moment for me that doesn't make sense, and if she isn't eeeeeeville in some way, that's a little bit too convenient for the plot weasels.

I've thought since the finale that Rachel looked like she could be a few years older than the other clones we've met, so I thought maybe she was--if not the original cloned individual--then at least the first clone.

This crossed my mind as well.

I just watched the first season this weekend. Not sure where S2 will go, but I like how things moved along in S1. I also hope Mrs. S turns out to be good but thought she looked suspicious when Sarah first started asking about her past.

I have a couple of questions. I wasn't able to tell who the two people were in the picture the birth mother had. Are these people we have already seen? The other thing that confused me was the voicemail that Sarah left for Art stating that she was Sarah and he was the one person who would figure it out. Why wasn't that brought up earlier? Was there an explanation I missed as to why Art was only bringing that up when Sarah was being questioned?

We haven't gotten a confirmation of who the people in the photo are.  But it was strongly implied from the dialogue and the birth mom showing to Sarah when she was saying there was more to Mrs. S/she might be able to trust her (I cannot recall the exact wording) that the woman in it is Mrs. S.

As for the voice message to Art, I'm pretty sure that was actually a memo she left on her own (Beth's) phone.  If I recall correctly, she starts the message with "If you're listening to this, you found my body." She was assuming that he would only hear it if she was killed and he found the phone on her and played the memo.  As it turned out, he played it when he arrested her and confiscated the phone.  He found the memo after he realized she wasn't Beth and the it just confirmed who she actually was.

• Love 1

Thanks for explaining the voice memo, RachelKM. That makes much more sense.

But it was strongly implied from the dialogue and the birth mom showing to Sarah when she was saying there was more to Mrs. S/she might be able to trust her (I cannot recall the exact wording) that the woman in it is Mrs. S.

I didn't think the person in the photo was Mrs. S. because I think she looked at the photo and put it back. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

• Love 1
(edited)

Or he could just take off his clothes, whichever.

No, no, no.  There will be no "this OR that, whichever".  There will be "this AND that" and long as "AND that" is Paul takes off his clothes. The actor has obviously put a lot of work into his body and it deserves to be seen.  A lot.  Every scene he's in.  Yes, this show would be very different if I wrote it.  Which is why it's probably a good thing that that's not even a remote possibility.

Edited by mjforty
  • Love 2

We haven't gotten a confirmation of who the people in the photo are.  But it was strongly implied from the dialogue and the birth mom showing to Sarah when she was saying there was more to Mrs. S/she might be able to trust her (I cannot recall the exact wording) that the woman in it is Mrs. S.

I rewatched the last three episodes yesterday, and IIRC, what Amelia said before Helena stabbed her was "Your foster mother is not who she says she is."

Also, Mrs. S. said something to Sarah before she left to go meet Amelia about not trusting her.

If you get a chance to watch them again, pay attention to the body language of Mrs. S. and Amelia in there scenes together, as well as some of the glances/looks each of them toss toward the other in the scenes they share.  It adds another layer of mystique to this plot line.  

I just finished the series today, and my speculation about Mrs. S is that she is the woman in the photo; she was a part of whatever group created the clones and implanted them in surrogates; she (and others maybe) had a crisis of conscience, so when she/they learned about what Amelia did, she/they found a way to get Sarah into the custody of Mrs. S who has been hiding/protecting her (and Kira) ever since. DYAD being headquartered in Toronto confuses things a bit, but who knows? I just don't want Mrs. S to be evil.

DYAD being headquartered in Toronto confuses things a bit, but who knows? I just don't want Mrs. S to be evil.

They never explictly say DYAD is Toronto based. Oliver never even saw one of the clones in person and he had two known ones on his doorstep. DYAD is probably an international consortium. Given Rachel's accent, I could see them having places everywhere.

Yeah, I don't want Mrs S to be evil either.

• Love 1

Is this the thread where we could talk about the possible implications of the name Project LEDA? In Greek mythology Leda gave birth to two sets of twins. One set was male and one set was female. One of the female twins was named Helen. Might be a rabbit hole, but it might be interesting to tease out. 

• Love 1

Thanks for explaining the voice memo, RachelKM. I didn't think the person in the photo was Mrs. S. because I think she looked at the photo and put it back. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Stealing from the Eve episode of X-Files, is it possible Mrs. S is part of a prior experiment? Prior to somatic cell nuclear transfer, artificial twinning was the way to clone. Maybe Mrs. S has a bunch of siblings somewhere, including one at Dyad.

Also on the topic of nuclear transfer technique, the original cell would retain its original mitochondrial DNA and gain new nuclear DNA. If the Sarah clones were done this way they could be identified by different mitochondrial DNA. Though the addition of a tag suggests this either wasn't the case or someone wanted an extra layer of complexity.

Let's just fanwank that they've somehow come up with pluripotent egg generation method, complete with supermitochondria. Otherwise mitochondrial differences would play too big a role.

I can't wait to find out more about the different tweaks they made (such as brainy Cosima and brawny Sarah). Wouldn't it be adorbs if they made a guy model? (I suppose Felix doesn't quite look close enough to be a member of the primary clone club although I'm still rooting for him to have his own clones.)

Can't decide if I'm more in a "fade to black" or "back to black" mood for the weekend.

Kira better not be Iphigenia.

Oh, I seriously hope she won't be threatened to be killed, I'm sick of children on TV used only as bargaining chips and hostages and getting kidnapped. Anyway, she's too important as a motivation for Sarah for the show to get rid of her, plus she's quite possibly very special in the show's mythology.

I do think the scientists have tried to create male clones, but a good question is whether they had succeeded? I'm not so sure.

Edited by FurryFury

Just caught up with season one. Now that it has been revealed that Donnie is a monitor and the nosy neighbor really was just nosy (and is now dead) I really want Allison to hook back up with the neighbor's widower so she can mellow out with his cannabis.

I've scoured the internets, but don't see any definitive explanation as to why Beth's finger prints would not have been put in the system when she became a cop. Is this a setup for a reveal of her being different than the others?

I assume there will have to be something to explain Kira's ability to recover so quickly from being hit by the car... at least I hope so because that scene played to me as pretty cheap (Kira sees Sarah.... "Hi Mommy".... walks right into traffic... SPLAT... it would almost be comical if it was so not funny).  Helena recovered fairly quickly from being impaled by a pipe, but the scars on her back certainly didn't indicate any kind of super human genetic recuperative abilities.  And recovering quickly from impailings and other such maladies is not uncommon for television characters.  Perhaps Kira picked up a genetic trait that was dormant in the previous generation

Here's what is driving me nuts (in a good way) about Kira. That nurse at the hospital saw a foreign implant in her right? So, that would indicate a doctor or scientist got ahold of the girl at some point to put whatever that is inside her. If DYAD didn't know about Sarah or Kira my questions would be: 1. What the hell is that? 2. How would she get that in the first place? 2. Who put it there? 3. Who gave consent to have it put there?

I don't know if whatever that thing is has anything to do with her healing ability, but that scene was put there for a reason and I'm assuming it will play into what's going this season. My best guess would be Cosima's research into her illness.

Edited by hardy har

Here's what is driving me nuts (in a good way) about Kira. That nurse at the hospital saw a foreign implant in her right? So, that would indicate a doctor or scientist got ahold of the girl at some point to put whatever that is inside her. If DYAD didn't know about Sarah or Kira my questions would be: 1. What the hell is that? 2. How would she get that in the first place? 2. Who put it there? 3. Who gave consent to have it put there?

I don't know if whatever that thing is has anything to do with her healing ability, but that scene was put there for a reason and I'm assuming it will play into what's going this season. My best guess would be Cosima's research into her illness.

This makes me question the game plan with Mrs. S even more.  If my hunch about the photo is correct (and dammit they focused on it in this episode for a reason so I'm convinced I'm onto something here), she has the lab background to do all of that on her own.  Maybe she knew the clones weren't supposed to be able to reproduce and did some on the sly tests with Kira.  Of course we still haven't established whether the clones naturally can't reproduce and Sarah is a fluke (meaning Helena likely would be as well) or their monitors were suppressing their fertility somehow and Sarah being off the grid as far as clones go is the reason she was able to have a kid.  I really, really want an answer to that mystery.  Either way gives them room for some great stuff.

I never assumed that there was an implant.  They were using an ultrasound device at the time, but we didn't really see a clear screen.  I figured, if it was the healing thing as speculated by many (including me), the tech/nurse could have just been amazed at the lack of damage and/or the apparent rate of healing. For instance, if her injuries as assessed at the scene were totally inconsistent with what was showing on the imaging or even that from one pas to another it seemed to be healing.  

I guess it could have been an implant, but leads to a whole lot of issues, including the doctors not talking to Sarah about it.  She the mother, if there was something actually found inside Kira that shocked them, why not say something to her parents?  I cannot imagine that Mrs. S would have pulled "guardianship" rank on Sarah at the hospital (assuming it's a legal status) and we wouldn't have seen it much less had it never brought up.  However, if it was a medical mystery that they just couldn't understand, the explanation to the parents would likely be,"We can't explain it, but your daughter is very lucky girl," and leave it at that.

Since Mrs. S confirmed in the recent episode, #2, that she was part of Project Leda, I'm back on board with the idea that Felix is a clone brother.  Also, the young black haired Prolethian guy looks vaguely like Felix...

Did Mrs. S confirm she was a part of Project LEDA or did she say Sarah came from Project LEDA?

I didn't think she did either.  I thought she feigned ignorance (I say feigned both based on her reaction last season to the picture and Kira's interpretation of the same). I have to go back and watch again, a thing I'm sure to do anyway, because I feel like a lot of connections were confirmed or implied otherwise which I may have not caught.

Although, I have revised my earlier thoughts that the show intended for us to think that it was Mrs. S in the picture.  Someone in another thread, or maybe on TWoP, mentioned that the picture was from 1977.  Assuming Mrs. S approximately Maria Doyle Kennedy's, she would have barely been a teenager in 1977.

I rewatched and yeah, she just confirmed Sarah comes from Project LEDA.  So, big old nevermind on my previous comment.  But I still do think Sarah and Felix have a connection.  1 set to the state.  Then you have Mark and Helena - to the church

Did Mrs. S confirm she was a part of Project LEDA or did she say Sarah came from Project LEDA?

I believe she pretended to Sarah that she'd never heard of it, then referenced it when speaking to Pincushion (Brenda?), confirming that she knows about it.

And because I'm still obsessing over Kira in the hospital.........I still maintain that whatever this is, it isn't supposed to be there.

Thanks for that link – that's how I remembered it, a clearly foreign object inside Kira. It appears to be inside what has been (somewhat cartoonishly) made to look like the outline of her stomach on the ultrasound. So... what? She swallowed some car grille? Ate a dog rawhide without chewing? I agree that it was a deliberate reveal, but nothing more was made of it at the time, and it should be brought up (well, not that way) at some point.

Edited by beedub
(edited)

I agree that it was a deliberate reveal

If I'm remembering correctly, the scene was fairly quick. With this show I can definitely see them coming back to this later.

Edited by Endeavour

On the Wikipedia article we have the U.S. ratings listed but nothing on the CA or U.K. ratings (which I assume will have an impact, particularly the Canadian ones).  Until episode 5 the ratings trend slightly higher than last year's but fairly close.  After that the trend is considerably higher ratings than the same point in the season last year.  My guess would be that we're all good.