Type keyword(s) to search

To Subscribe Or Not To Subscribe, That Is The Question: Paid Streaming Services

• Start Topic

@SunnyBeBe   Whenever I have canceled a free trial I do it before it ends.  They still let you watch till the end of the period.  Same for times when I have canceled after keeping a platform for a while.

As for changing the battery on an iPad, I have done it on an iPhone.  Not that I did it myself.  Took it to a tech store (a little cheaper than the Apple store and closer to home and no appointment needed).  I have not needed to do it on the iPad.  The phone batteries seem to go bad and the iPad batteries don't. 

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

@SunnyBeBe   Whenever I have canceled a free trial I do it before it ends.  They still let you watch till the end of the period.  Same for times when I have canceled after keeping a platform for a while.

As for changing the battery on an iPad, I have done it on an iPhone.  Not that I did it myself.  Took it to a tech store (a little cheaper than the Apple store and closer to home and no appointment needed).  I have not needed to do it on the iPad.  The phone batteries seem to go bad and the iPad batteries don't. 

I’m going to cancel tomorrow, though I have until Saturday.  I’ll pick it back up when And Just Like returns.  

I made an appointment with Best Buy through my Apple Care service to get it assessed. From what I read, I think they’ll replace my iPad battery for free, since I have Apple Care.  If not, the battery for the IPad Pro will cost $179.!  I bet they say it’s ok.  Sometimes, it takes a charge and sometimes it takes forever.  It runs out of power really fast too.  I just wonder if they’ll need to keep it overnight.  I get nervous when away from my iPad.  Lol. I have to start working on that.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

I had my iPad evaluated.  Well, apparently the problem is with the operator. Lol. My battery has 84% battery capacity, so they won’t replace the battery at that level.  Otherwise, it’s ok.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 2

I got a great surprise this weekend.  I ran across my oldest Firestick that hasn’t worked for over a year. I had set it aside.  I decided to give it a try and it worked!  It had an update that I installed, but then it was fine!  I’m glad I didn’t toss it. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 2

I'm not seeing any specials on Prime, for extra channels, except this MGM+, which I only heard of last month. I was hoping for Paramount, again, and a couple of other services, like Acorn or Britbox.

I have to get rid of Showtime, my deal is disappearing this month ($3.99). But they're now offering showtime and paramount as a bundle, for about the same price as Showtime usually is alone. I might try it, but I shouldn't. I get Paramount, for "Evil" using the amazon deal, which is why I was looking. 

4 minutes ago, Anela said:

I'm not seeing any specials on Prime, for extra channels, except this MGM+, which I only heard of last month. I was hoping for Paramount, again, and a couple of other services, like Acorn or Britbox.

There may be more specials around Prime Day but I've found that the best deals are the ones you get directly from the service.  MHZ, for instance, usually has some great deals.  Peacock and Max have both done annual specials you can't really get through Amazon.

The benefit of getting it through Amazon, IMO, is the ease of adding/cancelling.

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

There may be more specials around Prime Day but I've found that the best deals are the ones you get directly from the service.  MHZ, for instance, usually has some great deals.  Peacock and Max have both done annual specials you can't really get through Amazon.

The benefit of getting it through Amazon, IMO, is the ease of adding/cancelling.

I love how easy it is to cancel through Amazon. I've bought a couple channels to watch a tv series and then canceled it when it was over. They really do have a lot of really good cheap prices around Prime Day and around Christmas.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

I have to trim down my apps. It’s gotten out of control! Lol. I have Prime Video, Paramount+, Peacock Premium, Discovery+, Netflix and Hulu. I just dropped free Max.  I was planning on getting it for And Just Like That.  And, Apple for The Morning Show, but I now think I might not.  Also, think I’ll cut all out but Prime, Netflix and Hulu.  I also have access to many channels through my cable account including AMC, A&E, ID Discovery, Oxygen, TLC, ABC, CBS, NBC, FX, PBS, and a few others.  That should be enough.  I don’t watch much on Prime, but I do use that free shipping, so to me, it pays for itself.  

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have to trim down my apps. It’s gotten out of control! Lol. I have Prime Video, Paramount+, Peacock Premium, Discovery+, Netflix and Hulu. I just dropped free Max.  I was planning on getting it for And Just Like That.  And, Apple for The Morning Show, but I now think I might not.  Also, think I’ll cut all out but Prime, Netflix and Hulu.  I also have access to many channels through my cable account including AMC, A&E, ID Discovery, Oxygen, TLC, ABC, CBS, NBC, FX, PBS, and a few others.  That should be enough.  I don’t watch much on Prime, but I do use that free shipping, so to me, it pays for itself.  

Are you looking for suggestions or just venting? It sounds like if you have cable you can use that login for a lot of stuff like the networks, AMC, FX, etc on their own apps. 

Some of the apps have free or highly discounted trials available. I will say I have had apple almost continuously for over 3 years and have not yet had to pay - through my (then new) phone, then my cell provider, Best Buy, and target circle. I get Hulu free with my cell plan. Prime because I’m still the additional user on what was originally my kid’s student account. Peacock because they had an offer for something like 20/year. All this so far without having to juggle email addresses. 

I don’t currently have paramount but I have a link bookmarked for a trial if something I want to watch comes on. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Thank you. I'll check out MHZ (I'd never heard of it). I thought Amazon started with their specials early, on Prime, but I will check again in a week. I might do the Paramount/Showtime thing for one month, but I'm not sure that I can afford to. 

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm feeling overwhelmed with all of the ones that I have. I was only supposed to have Disney for a month or two, starting New Year's 2020. I still have it, and I hardly ever watch it. I have Peacock really cheap, until Thanksgiving. I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. I have Max, Netflix, hulu, and Prime, and I've just realized Prime will renew at the beginning of July. 😬 Netflix is annoying me, but I still have things to watch on there. If they keep putting up their prices, I'll have to let more go. 

I only had Showtime for Yellowjackets, but I got back into Billions, for a while. Until one couple was dealing with a potential loss of billions, and the wife gasped at the idea of living on a measly 300 million😄

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Are you looking for suggestions or just venting? It sounds like if you have cable you can use that login for a lot of stuff like the networks, AMC, FX, etc on their own apps. 

Some of the apps have free or highly discounted trials available. I will say I have had apple almost continuously for over 3 years and have not yet had to pay - through my (then new) phone, then my cell provider, Best Buy, and target circle. I get Hulu free with my cell plan. Prime because I’m still the additional user on what was originally my kid’s student account. Peacock because they had an offer for something like 20/year. All this so far without having to juggle email addresses. 

I don’t currently have paramount but I have a link bookmarked for a trial if something I want to watch comes on. 

Thanks for the tips.  I’ll see what I can find for free.  I do get many free by downloading the app and signing in with my cable provider.  Some are pay only or so I thought.  I am curious about Apple though.  

13 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I am curious about Apple though.  

Here’s the link to Best Buy’s three month trial offer. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-free-apple-tv-for-3-months-new-or-returning-subscribers-only/6484512.p?skuId=6484512

I had free Apple tv after buying an iPhone not long after they launched and wasn’t impressed. But I recently rediscovered I could add it to my existing Apple Music Family subscription for $2 a month and have been more impressed this time. 

At the moment I only have YouTube Premium to avoid ads and Prime, through which I have Acorn and Britbox steadily and other services like MhZ and Paramount+ off and on. I canceled Netflix a couple of weeks ago and Hulu a few months ago. I'll re-up when enough things I want to watch run on either.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I will say I have had apple almost continuously for over 3 years and have not yet had to pay - through my (then new) phone, then my cell provider, Best Buy, and target circle.

Yea, I have never paid for Apple TV lol. There are so many ways to get free subscriptions and they actually allow you to get it free over and over again on the same account so I just continually use the free trials.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

This is being planned in Canada first where Nexflix has tested things and will probably happen here soon too. 

Netflix is Eliminating Its Cheap Ad-Free Plan

Sad Bbc GIF

As soon as that goes, I’m done with them entirely. I pretty much only sign up when something I want to watch is released. Last time it was for Never Have I Ever and then I couldn’t really find anything else since I’m tired of getting invested in a series for them to just cancel it. It’s still a decent value for the ad-free basic but once that’s gone it’s not worth it for one show. 

22 hours ago, Dani said:

Sad Bbc GIF

As soon as that goes, I’m done with them entirely. I pretty much only sign up when something I want to watch is released. Last time it was for Never Have I Ever and then I couldn’t really find anything else since I’m tired of getting invested in a series for them to just cancel it. It’s still a decent value for the ad-free basic but once that’s gone it’s not worth it for one show. 

I agree.  I get the cheapest available.  I like Netflix right now, but I can adjust. 

• Like 2

Does anyone know where the movie thread is?  There seems to be a bunch divided up.  I’d like post a question about a movie title I’m trying to find.  It’s a relativity old movie….think from 90s.   I can recall the events, but not who’s in it or title.  

9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone know where the movie thread is?  There seems to be a bunch divided up.  I’d like post a question about a movie title I’m trying to find.  It’s a relativity old movie….think from 90s.   I can recall the events, but not who’s in it or title.  

It’s under Beyond TV / Pop Culture. Maybe this will get you close -

https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/55-movies/

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Just FYI that Amazon is offering a bunch of channels as part of their Prime Day deals. I think tomorrow is the last day to sign up.

I feel like Peacock is underrated because between hosting some of my favorite recent shows (We are Lady Parts, Mrs. Davis, Pokerface) and premiering new movies shortly after their theater runs (Knock at the Cabin, Polite Society, etc), it's probably the streamer I watch the most. Hulu used to be my favorite, but I haven't used it much since they started showing ads during movies.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

Just FYI that Amazon is offering a bunch of channels as part of their Prime Day deals. I think tomorrow is the last day to sign up.

I feel like Peacock is underrated because between hosting some of my favorite recent shows (We are Lady Parts, Mrs. Davis, Pokerface) and premiering new movies shortly after their theater runs (Knock at the Cabin, Polite Society, etc), it's probably the streamer I watch the most. Hulu used to be my favorite, but I haven't used it much since they started showing ads during movies.

I signed up with a few, but Paramount isn't doing the 99c deal this year, so I'm not getting the channel. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

I feel like Peacock is underrated because between hosting some of my favorite recent shows (We are Lady Parts, Mrs. Davis, Pokerface) and premiering new movies shortly after their theater runs (Knock at the Cabin, Polite Society, etc), it's probably the streamer I watch the most. 

I completely agree. 

• Like 1

I'm not seeing an option on Amazon Prime for either Peacock or Hulu.😶‍🌫️
Am I missing something?🤔

My Peacock deal expires in September; my Hulu deal expires in November.
So I've got some time, but I like to plan ahead.🙃

TIA

• Like 1
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm not seeing an option on Amazon Prime for either Peacock or Hulu.😶‍🌫️
Am I missing something?🤔

No, sorry. Amazon doesn't have deals for either as far as I know. I was just tossing out random thoughts about those services.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
21 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

Peacock also shows an unbelievable amount of ads if you don’t pony up extra for the ad-free plan. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

I used to have Hulu's basic plan and even though tv shows had multiple ad breaks, movies didn't have any until maybe a year(?) or so ago but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I remember being really annoyed by that and surprised that there weren't more complaints about it.

My current Peacock plan is similar in that tv shows have ad breaks, but the movies I've watched may have an ad upfront but then run uninterrupted.

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

My Peacock deal expires in September; my Hulu deal expires in November.

I also got a $20 annual deal last September and when I logged into Peacock just now, it's offering me the deal again.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, krankydoodle said:

My current Peacock plan is similar in that tv shows have ad breaks, but the movies I've watched may have an ad upfront but then run uninterrupted.

Yeah, I have the free version of Peacock (that's no longer open to new subscribers), and have only watched movies on it -- it's as you said, ads up front (two or three minutes worth), and then the film runs uninterrupted.  I was pleasantly surprised by that.

Netflix update:  Looks like they caught up with me.

We've been doing a week of staycation at our second home.  I was watching Netflix on and off.  Yesterday and this morning we watched some of Lincoln Lawyer, then I watched several episodes of Never Have I Ever, so quite a few hours.  We just logged on again on the same TV to watch more of the Lincoln Lawyer, and Netflix told us that we don't have an account at this location.  It asked if that was a mistake, and we were given the option to say "I'm traveling."  I chose that and it sent me a code to the cell phone, which I then had to enter on the Roku.  Now we are watching again.  We will see how this goes when we return home and come back here again.  I don't want to limit on times I can say I'm traveling. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 5
5 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Netflix update:  Looks like they caught up with me.

We've been doing a week of staycation at our second home.  I was watching Netflix on and off.  Yesterday and this morning we watched some of Lincoln Lawyer, then I watched several episodes of Never Have I Ever, so quite a few hours.  We just logged on again on the same TV to watch more of the Lincoln Lawyer, and Netflix told us that we don't have an account at this location.  It asked if that was a mistake, and we were given the option to say "I'm traveling."  I chose that and it sent me a code to the cell phone, which I then had to enter on the Roku.  Now we are watching again.  We will see how this goes when we return home and come back here again.  I don't want to limit on times I can say I'm traveling. 

I haven’t been asked anything yet and I’m staying at the country house about 3 days a week.  The places are in different counties.  Tomorrow, I’m going on a mini vacation and will be far away.  I plan to use Netflix.  We’ll see what happens.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There’s one old show still not officially available for streaming anywhere that is currently available free YouTube.
Terrific. 
On my Windows laptop, I can choose captions, which is almost essential because the audio quality is pretty bad in parts. 
But when I watch the same show episodes on the YouTube app on both my Roku TVs, the captions don’t display.

I tried the “check for updates,” but it just said the app was already up to date. 

I also double-checked under Accessibility for both the TV and the YouTube app, and, yes, for captions, “always on” was selected.

I could probably stream from my laptop, but just thought someone here might have a suggestion. 
I’d even just like an explanation.

(edited)
49 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

There’s one old show still not officially available for streaming anywhere that is currently available free YouTube.
Terrific. 
On my Windows laptop, I can choose captions, which is almost essential because the audio quality is pretty bad in parts. 
But when I watch the same show episodes on the YouTube app on both my Roku TVs, the captions don’t display.

I tried the “check for updates,” but it just said the app was already up to date. 

I also double-checked under Accessibility for both the TV and the YouTube app, and, yes, for captions, “always on” was selected.

I could probably stream from my laptop, but just thought someone here might have a suggestion. 
I’d even just like an explanation.

You can get captions on YouTube on Roku.  I just tried it.  You pause the video and you see the options pop up near the bottom.  Then you can scroll over to the captions option and toggle it on and off.  When you watch YouTube on a computer or tablet you see all the background and comments stuff around or under the video, but on Roku, the video fills the screen, so you have to use that pause method to make the options popup.  I never think about looking at comments on the TV version.  If I want to see that, I go over to the computer to look at the same video. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
38 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

You pause the video and you see the options pop up near the bottom.  Then you can scroll over to the captions option and toggle it on and off. 

On both my Roku TVs (one is only a year old) I can see the options near the bottom, but both of the right arrows on my remote just move the video along. 
Do you have a fancier remote?  I'm using the ones that came with the TVs.

Thanks!

(edited)

@shapeshifter  Oh, I see. I am not using a Roku TV. I am using Roku devices attached to Samsung or RCA TVs. They are not all smart TVs. We got the Roku devices because even the smart TVs were too outmoded to utilize all the available apps. 

6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I haven’t been asked anything yet and I’m staying at the country house about 3 days a week.  The places are in different counties.  Tomorrow, I’m going on a mini vacation and will be far away.  I plan to use Netflix.  We’ll see what happens.  

We’ve been using Netflix like you for months since the announcement. E.g., two or three days a week. This is the first time we have spent such an extended period. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
(edited)
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

@shapeshifter  Oh, I see. I am not using a Roku TV. I am using Roku devices attached to Samsung or RCA TVs. They are not all smart TVs. We got the Roku devices because even the smart TVs were too outmoded to utilize all the available apps. 

Interesting that it works better with the old TV. Or maybe not. Usually it works. Just not with this free-YouTube-only series, as far as I've noticed. 

I used to have a Roku device on an old dumb TV, but shortly after my last move I tripped over it in the dark and cracked the screen, so I replaced it.
I'm almost geeky enough to try attaching my USB Roku device to my Roku TV and see if that fixes the missing captions, but probably not worth it.

Regarding Netflix logins:
I'm not currently watching anything on Netflix, so I don't know what will happen vis a vis sharing with my daughter/son-in-law, but if anything interesting pops up, I'll post about it.
Hrrrmmm...Enola Holmes looks good.

Edited by shapeshifter
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Interesting that it works better with the old TV. Or maybe not. Usually it works. Just not with this free-YouTube-only series, as far as I've noticed. 

I used to have a Roku device on an old dumb TV, but shortly after my last move I tripped over it in the dark and cracked the screen, so I replaced it.
I'm almost geeky enough to try attaching my USB Roku device to my Roku TV and see if that fixes the missing captions, but probably not worth it.

Regarding Netflix logins:
I'm not currently watching anything on Netflix, so I don't know what will happen vis a vis sharing with my daughter/son-in-law, but if anything interesting pops up, I'll post about it.
Hrrrmmm...Enola Holmes looks good.

I tried Enola Holmes and it was okay.  I didn't finish all of it or see new seasons.

What is the show you're trying on YouTube.  I'd be curious to see how captions work with it on my set up. 

35 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

What is the show you're trying on YouTube.  I'd be curious to see how captions work with it on my set up. 

It's The Law and Harry McGraw.
Barney Miller full episodes are the same.

(edited)
8 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

It's The Law and Harry McGraw.
Barney Miller full episodes are the same.

Oh, it's my man Jerry Orbach!  On the desktop computer I have captions that I can easily toggle on and off.  Same also with the Roku device on the TV using the pause method I described earlier.  I never watched this before.  I think I'll give it a try.  Looks like a Matlock kind of thing. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anybody know how to get ESPN on Dish Network.

If subscribed to a programming package that includes ESPN (I think you have to have at least the middle one), it's on ch. 140 (regular ESPN; the 2, 3, News, etc. are the next several channels).

4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

If subscribed to a programming package that includes ESPN (I think you have to have at least the middle one), it's on ch. 140 (regular ESPN; the 2, 3, News, etc. are the next several channels).

We’ve tried, but it’s not there.  I’ve read that ESPN has been removed due to a contract dispute, since my post above.  Idk.  I think we’ve figured out how to mirror it from our computer to the screen though.   Thanks.  

• Applause 1
17 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

We’ve tried, but it’s not there.  I’ve read that ESPN has been removed due to a contract dispute, since my post above.  Idk.  I think we’ve figured out how to mirror it from our computer to the screen though.   Thanks.  

I have Dish, so I double-checked last night before replying to make sure there wasn't any problem since the last time I'd watched ESPN.  I just checked again, and all the ESPNs are working for me.  There's nothing in the news about a contract dispute; they had one last year, but signed a new contract in October.  So I have no idea what's going on, but hopefully your mirroring works and you can watch tennis.

• Mind Blown 1
On 7/16/2023 at 4:36 PM, Bastet said:

I have Dish, so I double-checked last night before replying to make sure there wasn't any problem since the last time I'd watched ESPN.  I just checked again, and all the ESPNs are working for me.  There's nothing in the news about a contract dispute; they had one last year, but signed a new contract in October.  So I have no idea what's going on, but hopefully your mirroring works and you can watch tennis.

That is odd.  We scrolled through all the Dish channels and went to the one designated for the tennis match and it wasn’t available…..idk, anyway, we got it mirrored from my friend’s computer onto the big tv screen. So, it worked out,   

I have another question though and can’t locate a thread to post it.  Has anyone attached a photo from your phone to this site?  I have and I would compress the image so it’d be accepted, but no matter how small i make it now,  it’s still too large!  It’s so frustrating.  I wonder if it’s functioning. 

8 minutes ago, Jaded said:

@GHScorpiosRule I can't remember what thread here L.A. Law was mentioned in or exactly when. I could have sworn you said something about wanting to watch it again. If it wasn't you sorry for this ping. 

L.A. Law is now available to stream on Amazon Prime.

THANK YOU!  I think I mentioned it in The Practice's thread or something.

Fingers crossed it's not the syndicated episodes, but full, uncut ones!

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Fingers crossed it's not the syndicated episodes, but full, uncut ones!

I was just ranting about this in the Designing Women thread.  I have the first five seasons on DVD, but I haven't seen the final two seasons since they originally aired.  Due to cast and writer changes, they're not good, other than a couple of episodes (which is why I didn't buy the DVDs), but now that the show is streaming on Prime, I figured I'd watch them.  So, of course, I decided I'd watch the first five yet again first, as I never tire of it.  Well.  I'm sure glad I have the DVDs, because these are syndicated episodes, and one episode (so far) isn't even available at all.  Ridiculous!  As I said in the thread, Amazon can well afford to buy the rights to the full, uncut series.

• Applause 2
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I was just ranting about this in the Designing Women thread.  I have the first five seasons on DVD, but I haven't seen the final two seasons since they originally aired.  Due to cast and writer changes, they're not good, other than a couple of episodes (which is why I didn't buy the DVDs), but now that the show is streaming on Prime, I figured I'd watch them.  So, of course, I decided I'd watch the first five yet again first, as I never tire of it.  Well.  I'm sure glad I have the DVDs, because these are syndicated episodes, and one episode (so far) isn't even available at all.  Ridiculous!  As I said in the thread, Amazon can well afford to buy the rights to the full, uncut series.

I saw that which is what had me posting fingers crossed! Because it is ridiculous. Also ridiculous that Amazon is too cheap to get the rights to air Dynasty from Season 5, episode 11 to the end. That's right. The last free episode to Prime members is the 10th episode, which makes no sense.

And now I can't bitch about it, or say hey! Kirby's brother is that rogue Nick from the final season of Scarecrow & Mrs. King, who caused Lee and Amanda to almost NOT get married!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Applause 1

Well, I paused in my rewatch of a show last night (really, I need serious help, but I canna resist the yummiliciousness that is Sam Heughan in a kilt!) to see if L.A. Law is the uncut or syndicated. And it's the former! Yay!

They split the pilot in two episodes, which I am fine with them doing. They didn't bleep out or cut Mario Van Peebles' character (summer associate) telling Leland that he wouldn't be their N-word boy. Which, shocked me, because I SWEAR, I don't remember that from when I first watched during the original airing.

It's so jarring to see a skinny Corbin Bernsen with so much hair, when I'm so used to his being Henry Spencer, bald, hefty, retired cop dad of Shawn Spencer from Psych.

And to this day, I still wonder why Susan Dey wasn't in the pilot.

• Like 4