Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: There Is No End

What were Quid Reverti actually doing in that building? Whose corpse was that?

I have to say that for a secret society that has endured for centuries they are an easy games for intruders, since neither Madison nor Jack encountered any problems when they were trying to enter the rooms in the basement.

The end with Jack and the sheperd was intruiging. I bet that Jack won't and can't accept that ... but somehow he'll need to experience it.

I liked the end of the Marcus Fox storyline. That was kind of fitting. On top of that I am glad that we won't see any more of it in the next season. Though, sadly there won't be probably a next season since the ratings for the first season were very low. 

• Love 3

The corpse was Joseph Cranfield from a few episodes before. It looks like they were ready to cremate him (?).

During the last scene I thought Shepherd was going to kill Jack, I didn't see the "offer" coming. That made no sense since Jack burned down their building.

I don't see this being a regular series since it was adapted from a book. I don't see what else they could do since the mystery has been revealed.

• Love 1

Jack could make it his mission to stop QR from the inside. He may also use his "shepherdness" to get Amy back. He knows Madison got control and Richard may tell him Amy wanted Jack to be a shepherd since she directly called him that.

Also, what happened with Richard and Amy? He was in love with her and wanted to make a life with her and then she wound up with Jack. Or did I miss that explanation already?

Then there's the mystery of Bix taking off...

I think they were just interring Cranfield. No cremation.

Edited by indeed
  • Love 2

I think there would be many directions this show could go. 

As indeed is saying Jack could continue the fight from within. Maybe he would have to take on his inner twin soul, first. 

Madison could be an ally. The question is also how are the QR gonna recover from that. They must have lost a lot of potential members who can't return because their awakening symbols were burned. 

Jack could still try to win back Amy, but that would be a stretch.

And there are still those radio operator guys and the soul machine. That itself could be a plot worth exploring.

• Love 1

I will not lie. I am still just as confused by this show as I was from day one. With that said, I still am intrigued and enjoy watching it. (I have a thing for shows with more questions than answers. I also love The Leftovers, and LOST was my favorite ever.) 

Anyway, I think Jack will accept and bring Gary back. If the show is renewed, I hope they work out the mythology of it during the hiatus though.

• Love 2

I will not lie. I am still just as confused by this show as I was from day one. With that said, I still am intrigued and enjoy watching it. (I have a thing for shows with more questions than answers. I also love The Leftovers, and LOST was my favorite ever.) 

Me too!

Loved this whole season and i'm so excited to get the book and read it.  I really hope it gets a season two.

They answered some questions in this episode about how this all happens. So, apparently, all you have to do is see the object when close to death.  And the reason the number 9 matters is just because it takes 9 years?  I guess that's still potentially ritualistic that they do it in 9 year increments.  Still, I think we learned a lot.

One thing i'm curious about, when Jack was reading those QR books and the years, it's obvious that the QR has a rich European history.  So why the move to Seattle? I find that very curious.  Also, impressive that they lasted for centuries without losing a book and then Jack comes along.

I liked the twist with the guy he killed outing himself.  I mean, it was a bit convenient that he was there obviously.  But still, I liked it.

I was curious about what Marcus said when Madison briefly died.  He said that only one soul could ever come back.  But I thought it was suggested Amy could come back as well as Rose in an earlier conversation.  So maybe it's just when you are revived that only one soul can come back?

I hope that we get a second season.  Is this a BBC American show, or a BBC show?  I think it's the former so ratings really matter.  But damn, that was so good and there is so much they can do with this. There is the cop who clearly is going to be trying to dig up what happened with Marcus Fox and the QR.  But now Jack is a shepherd so will he stone wall the copy, or secretly help him?  Are him and Richard going to work secretly in cahoots?  Will 9 year old victim pursue Jack and try to take him out?  Which, btw, made me wonder.  Is it possible that there are multiple organizations/communities that know about the "science" (as Fox referred to it) of second lives?  I was wondering if the 9 year old who wants to get back at Jack could possibly have been revived by a similar but different tradition/organization.  

There is so much potential for this show.  I can see why they wanted to make it a tv show.  And I get that it could have been more palatable to a wider audience, but I loved the mysterious nature/approach of this version. 

• Love 3

Didn't they say there were multiple places where the crossings take place?

I wonder if there are other buildings like this in those other places. Even though there appeared to be quite a lot of the books there it didn't seem to be enough to represent the 1% of the population they said were Reverti.

I guess Nikola Tesla and Ronald Reagan won't be returning, heh.

I believe this was a BBC America show. Although I'm satisfied with the ending (while being a bit confused along the way) if there was a 2nd season I'd watch.

• Love 1

They answered some questions in this episode about how this all happens. So, apparently, all you have to do is see the object when close to death.

I'd still like to know how that would work for an unborn baby so that Amy, Jack, and their baby can be reunited again.

Is that Eiffel Tower (going to be) Amy's trigger? I thought Richard was either going to trigger Jack's other soul or give him something shepherd-y to offer him a job. I figured it would be the latter--Richard didn't seem like he wanted to ever really hurt Jack. And the two actors will get to interact more if there is a season two (hopefully--if there are only eight episodes a season, I can handle that...especially if Marcus stays away for good and we don't have to suffer through another "what goes around comes around" moment).

• Love 1

So glad it was an offer and not, oh he's a qr too. Did my eyes deceive me or was there a door with qr on it? Because that's pretty silly. I'm glad they didn't go for a cheesy tis Marcus being revived ending.

Still confused but have to admit I've enjoyed the last few episodes and I'm on oars, it just doesn't bear too much thinking about. The whole sidelines vs death thing is ridiculous, it's the death of the life you're in and if you're enjoying it and can never come back to it then it's killing. Just because you get reincarnated doesn't mean that the life you had didn't end.

Did biz run away?

I was disappointed. It's far too sloppy and incomplete, with too many questions and not enough answers. I can deal with some ambiguity, but by a season finale, we should have a much better idea of what's going on. 

• Love 5

So glad it was an offer and not, oh he's a qr too. Did my eyes deceive me or was there a door with qr on it? Because that's pretty silly. I'm glad they didn't go for a cheesy tis Marcus being revived ending.

Can we be sure that it was just an offer? I thought they left it open whether it was an offer or he really is a qr?

Edited by Trois

Still confused as hell. Got more questions than answers.

But with that said if the goal was to intrigue the audience I think they succeeded. Still on the fence about liking the show I am still trying to make sense of what I watched.

I was disappointed. It's far too sloppy and incomplete, with too many questions and not enough answers. I can deal with some ambiguity, but by a season finale, we should have a much better idea of what's going on. 

I completely agree, yet somehow I still like something about this show.  I can't even see a good reason for a second season but I'd watch just to see what happens next.  

I don't know what it takes to keep a show on BBC America but the show lost over half of its premiere ratings, and only went down from there.  Haven't seen the numbers for the finale.  

I was really surprised at the Shepherd offer since Jack was a huge pain in the ass to them. Also, that other Shepherd was going to kill Jack. But then, Rose was going to kill Richard, and that didn't happen.

I suppose Jack burning out the underground actually was good for the Reverti, otherwise the authorities would have discovered everything. Better to lose a bunch of returnees than expose the entire operation.

Jack being that gang members trigger was amusing. Jack was the last thing he saw.

• Love 3

Good observation.  I was wondering how that guy got triggered, as it didn't seem there was anyone to hold a trinket up to his eyes just before he died.  

I might have fan-wanked this, but my thought was that if you were someone knowledgeable of the basic idea of coming back, would it work if you intentionally had someone hold something up to your eye just before entering any dangerous situation.  My only question is then, how long before death does it have to be done?  Is it possible that you might have multiple things held up and could be triggered so long as it was within xx minutes of death.  Or does it depend more on eye stimulation than time?  Apparently i'm enthralled.

As soon as I saw "Jack Shepherd" on that card, all I could think of was "We have to go back to the island".

Agreed.  With all the Rose/Bix nonsense in the two previous episodes, their sub-plot just fizzled and went no where considering the amount of time spent on them.

And if Marcus has been around for hundreds of years, why was his image in the Adjourn that of his previous host and not his original host from back in the days of Mozart ?

There's no way we have seen the last of Marcus (if there is a season 2), he has simply been sidelined for 9 years (or has he ?).

It seemed WAY to convenient that the 2nd soul of the girl in the hallway was the gangbanger that Jack killed in L.A. And didn't Jack kill those guys only 4 years ago and the activations can only occur on multiples of 9 years after the prior death (so it kind of goes against the rules outlined by the Qui Reverti).  This is like Gary Fisher's daughter's 2nd soul being that of Donna who committed suicide when he was in high school all over again.

Why didn't they explain anything about Richard's relationship with Amy ?  And still no explanation of how they find a specific 2nd soul.

Did my eyes deceive me or was there a door with qr on it?

There was, so for a super-secret society, they aren't very secret about hiding their name.  And that inner door (inside the Q.R. room) had Aedes Reverti on it, which according to Google translate converts to 'buildings back'.  That seems odd, shouldn't it be Latin for 'totem storage room'.

Is that Eiffel Tower (going to be) Amy's trigger?

That's assuming that Amy is not a new soul, and has died once before.  And if that's the case, I'm still confused how a host can have two old souls.

Nice to see that Theseus from 'Continuum' has been getting work as a 20s jazz musician in 'Intruders'.

Madison's acting was still pretty bad.  And why did Marcus' control suddenly revert back to Madison in that alley when Marcus has been in full control for days ?

I was curious about what Marcus said when Madison briefly died.  He said that only one soul could ever come back.  But I thought it was suggested Amy could come back as well as Rose in an earlier conversation.  So maybe it's just when you are revived that only one soul can come back?

Marcus said "The only way a body can get rid of one of its souls is at the moment of death. Sorry kid, but this is that time for you. I'm going back and you're staying here. See ... my Will is stronger.  And, sorry too, but from here, this place, there's no going back."

Was that place different from the 'The Adjourn' where all the souls mill around until they are returned to a new host ?

Did Madison say "Taking lifes" -- they should have done another take, since she pronounced it "taking lives" in her previous sentence.  And the power of family love conquers all.  Uggh.

Anyway, I think Jack will accept and bring Gary back. If the show is renewed, I hope they work out the mythology of it during the hiatus though.

But what would be Gary's trigger ?

• Love 1

f Marcus has been around for hundreds of years, why was his image in the Adjourn that of his previous host and not his original host from back in the days of Mozart ?

This. And why was Amy there when Marcus was bricked? We know she was still Amy then, not Rose, because Richard Shepherd said he made the deal with Marcus to get money both to care for his brother and to run away with Amy. Meaning both Amy & Rose are Reverti? (In an earlier episode, Rose had called Amy "the third soul." So who was the primary soul?)

Jack gets Gary's wife's answering machine (which doesn't disprove my theory that Gary doesn't exist—and any woman who threw her husband out for shaking their baby would have changed the greeting long ago), and says, "Maybe we'll meet again." When had he met her before? Jack & Gary hadn't seen each other in years. Did Gary's wife go to high school with Jack, Gary, and Donna?

The mute girl in the hospital was Meadow Crane (Todd's daughter), who started talking when the O'Donnells said Madison's name. (According to Detective Blanchard, Meadow said Madison was at 999 E. 3rd.) But was she also the kid in the hallway who was triggered by Jack? Or was that a boy?

I heard that in the book

, Jack doesn't trigger the gang member in the hospital

. So that was obviously added to set up Season 2—if the show is renewed.

The kid in the hallway was someone else.

I was surprised to see Amy/Rose at Marcus' entombment too -- was she Rose part of the time then? How long does it take to get rid of the original soul once the 2nd on is activated? The statement Amy made when telling Jack she wanted to separate IIRC was she wanted to separate from herself like she's finally giving Rose full control perhaps in return for immortality?

The story seemed to be a mix of wrapping up plus leaving a few loose ends like the Rose/Bix thing.

• Love 1

I might have fan-wanked this, but my thought was that if you were someone knowledgeable of the basic idea of coming back, would it work if you intentionally had someone hold something up to your eye just before entering any dangerous situation.  My only question is then, how long before death does it have to be done?  Is it possible that you might have multiple things held up and could be triggered so long as it was within xx minutes of death.  Or does it depend more on eye stimulation than time?  Apparently i'm enthralled.

It seemed like the trigger had to be the last thing you see just before you die but I don't know that the show did a very good job of explaining much of anything.  Marcus probably didn't die right after he saw the sea shell.  Could his trigger have been a brick, too?  Or was it too dark in there to see the bricks?  

I really like the idea of the two souls and the triggers, which is probably why I stuck with the show.  I just wish the show had handled it more intelligently.  

• Love 1

During the last scene I thought Shepherd was going to kill Jack, I didn't see the "offer" coming. That made no sense since Jack burned down their building.

I thought so, too. When Jack suggested that the reason Richard didn't kill him was because he respected what Jack was capable of, that he was almost one of them (the shepherds), I actually busted out laughing at his chutzpah. Yeah, you're a pain in the ass over and over and burn down everything, and you think he respects you? *sigh* And it was a set-up line for Richard to offer him a job. Blech.

And apparently the fire destroyed everything in the basement to the point that absolutely nothing remains, but was "confined to the basement"? In other words, the building is still standing, but all the books, triggers, Marcus' body (and presumably Cranfield's, too) are so gone, there isn't any trace of them? Riiight.

Also, what happened with Richard and Amy? He was in love with her and wanted to make a life with her and then she wound up with Jack. Or did I miss that explanation already?

Then there's the mystery of Bix taking off...

Yeah, I missed that explanation, too. And Bix is something for Season Two? If there is a Season Two.

I was curious about what Marcus said when Madison briefly died.  He said that only one soul could ever come back.  But I thought it was suggested Amy could come back as well as Rose in an earlier conversation.  So maybe it's just when you are revived that only one soul can come back?

I actually thought he told her that when the body was close to death was the only time one soul could get rid of the other one. And leave it in that place (which I totally thought was a different place from The Adjourn, because those souls come back). I did love Madison turning the tables on him, as well as turning his catch-phrase back on him. "What goes around... stays right here!"

I completely agree, yet somehow I still like something about this show.  I can't even see a good reason for a second season but I'd watch just to see what happens next.

Me, too. I have so many questions, but I'd watch more.

Jack being that gang members trigger was amusing. Jack was the last thing he saw.

Oh, that's what happened! I was a bit confused. 

And why did Marcus' control suddenly revert back to Madison in that alley when Marcus has been in full control for days ?

I thought that was Marcus pretending to be Madison to get the heck out of there. "Sure, here are these folks who will rescue me and believe I'm their little girl." I was fully expecting him to kill them as soon as he could.

A piece of pavement? <grin>

• Love 2

Marcus lost control every now and then and Madison always wanted to go back to her parents or thought of her parents. So, I just think the alley was another time Marcus lost control for a bit--since there is no bond stronger than a kid and her parents, or whatever Madison said. They laid that particular groundwork throughout the episodes. Marcus made the same mistake countless screen villains had--he tipped his hand by blabbing too much.

• Love 2

Jack could make it his mission to stop QR from the inside.

Anyway, I think Jack will accept and bring Gary back.

Obviously, if there's a second season, Jack would take the job, and bringing Gary back would be part of that. iirc, Gary jumped off the building with a ziploc bag taped to himself. So, those would be the triggers. Also, the guy Jack shot is in another little girl, so Jack has that to deal with. I think there's enough for a second season even if Amy/Rose isn't a main focus.

I just wish the show had handled it more intelligently.

Honestly, the show was a little too pretentious. It was deliberately obtuse at times. I think they should have kept the show strictly from Jack's pov. When they strayed from that, it wasn't as good. Because at that point, the characters know more than the viewers, and they weren't letting the viewers in. Or maybe Jack and Fain's pov is the main one for the show. I think they should do that if there's a second season. 

• Love 1

I could never really behind the whole premise of coming back in such negative circumstances.  Killing others, in strange bodies, can't remember, yikes I would rather just move on. 

There was nothing really redeeming about QR.  Just a murderous cult that only cared about itself.  I've seen enough.

Yeah, and you're relying on someone else to bring you back. How reliable was Richard Shephard anyway? He makes a deal with Marcus Fox for money then activates him too early in order to kill him then he gets involved with Amy, delaying Rose's return by years. I wouldn't go for it either.

would you fucking believe that Intruders vanished from my cable company's "on demand" BBCAmerica selection just before I got a chance to watch the final episode?

now I don't know where to see it.

Edited by millennium

would you fucking believe that Intruders vanished from my cable company's "on demand" BBCAmerica selection just before I got a chance to watch the final episode?

now I don't know where to see it.

asdl.us/?s=the-intruders.

Right now, all the episodes are still available.

I hope the show comes back, if only to take another stab at coherence. Meanwhile, i am reminded of two scifi stories from the 70's.

The first was called "The Horus Mission". It was in Analog and was about the technological management of reincarnation and what to do when a target soul doesn't end up in the body that was selected for it.

I forget the name of the second story. It was about a society of schizoids. Every body had two completely seperate persons in it, each with its own life, work, friends, and rights. The persons were colloquially known as heads. Shifts were supposed to be scheduled, but usually one head, called the hyper alter, had the ability to force a shift. In one scene this happens, but oops, the other head was flying a plane and the alter has no flying ability at all. There's another scene where a personality is executed with a percision brain eraser.

Edited by dr pepper
  • Love 1
(edited)

It only took two years and four months but I finally got to see the final episode on Hulu this week.

I wonder, was the irony intentional, naming the final episode of a canceled series "There Is No End?"

An alternate title might have been "There is No Mira Sorvino."   Amy/Rose was largely absent from this episode as it focused instead on Jack and the bratty kid.

I liked the music, the opening montage, the moodiness of the series, but the rest of it never jelled.  

Edited by millennium