Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Sam, Interupted

• Start Topic

When a former hunter asks for help, Sam and Dean admit themselves to a psychiatric hospital.

I used to be rather indifferent to this episode, but it's risen a lot in my eyes over the years.  Yes, I'm aware it's a Loflin and Dabb episode, but I think they struck a nice balance here.

It's nice that the show took a moment to mourn Jo and Ellen and there's some good character stuff going on here. There's a lot of really good one liners in this episode and I liked Martin. I also didn't catch on to Dr. Erica Cartwright being a hallucination until it was revealed, so kudos to the show on that one. My only real nit-pick is the totally lame-looking stick that comes out of the wraith's hand--so very lame.

Best bits: "Pudding!"; Dean trying not to step on the cracks; and Sam's "bop" at Dean's nose. Too funny!

• Love 3

I agree. And it's funny because for what is named "Sam, Interrupted" we really learned far more about Dean. And Jensen was remarkable in this episode too.

What I didn't like about it was the retconnish idea that Dean had never been in a long term relationship. (Cassie waves! Hi!)

Well, they defined "long-term" as more than two months. I doubt he and Cassie were together more than two weeks considering he met her on a hunt and left when the hunt was over. Have they ever had a hunt that lasted more than a few days?

I know they hung out looking for Ava for a month but I have to agree, I don't think it made two months. But I also say screw the two month rule that Dean made up (as this was all in his head). It was a serious relationship and she rejected him in the end. He just doesn't want to think about it. IMO he was serious about her.

I too love this episode. While IA, the insights into Dean's thinking we're tremendous, I also think we saw Sam have a real breakthrough in seeing his issues. As he told Dean at the end, he had an undercurrent of anger that he needed to deal with. I think Sam got more out of the experience than Dean. And I LOVED the insight. It made so much sense.

• Love 3

That beginning will always be funny. Always. And they get admitted by telling the truth!

"My brother's not evil, he was just...high" never fails to elicit a chuckle. I love how they both just lay it out there, it's just hilarious. And the Babar joke...HA!

I too love this episode. While IA, the insights into Dean's thinking we're tremendous, I also think we saw Sam have a real breakthrough in seeing his issues. As he told Dean at the end, he had an undercurrent of anger that he needed to deal with. I think Sam got more out of the experience than Dean. And I LOVED the insight. It made so much sense.

That's what makes the episode more liked for me. The monster hunt itself is fairly mediocre, but Sam and Dean both had insights and they both had valid points of view. It's not like I didn't already know that Sam had anger issues and/or that Dean carried the weight of the world on his shoulders, I just didn't mind exploring them and the show didn't come to a screeching halt to do so. This is when the show works best, IMO. 

Also, I didn't mean to imply Dean wasn't serious about Cassie, even if it only lasted three days, it was something serious to him. It was the first person Dean had let into his crazy, messed-up life, that's got to be an important relationship no matter how long it lasted. I only meant that I didn't see it as a retcon, per se, since I didn't think it lasted more than two months. And, I agree that definition was probably Dean subconsciously not wanting to talk about it. 

• Love 3

I've become so attached to this episode. I know it's probably not among the very "best" of this season in terms of objective quality, but it's tied with Changing Channels as the episode I enjoy most. As others have said, it's such an engaging mix of self-aware humor, insight, creepiness, minor mystery, witty dialogue, the right amount of relatable brotherly conflict that's nicely counterbalanced by moments of brotherly love, and a few surprisingly thought-provoking ideas. The only thing it's missing is Castiel's reaction to our modern, "earthly" ideas of mental illness and psychiatry, which might have been fun to see. Overall, though, this is one of the post-S3 episodes that reminds me of why I fell in love with this show. 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 2

This was a good episode with a nice twist.  Mental hospitals always give me the creeps.  But you had to suspend a lot of disbelief in this one.  The ease with which Sam and Dean got admitted, for one.  And of course Sam's assault on the doctor with a knife.  That gets a visit from the police, a trip to the station, solitary in a straight jacket for awhile.  Not relaxing in your room on some heavy meds and then having a visit from your doctor while you are unrestrained.  The wraith somehow not getting noticed despite all the glass around where her reflection can be seen.  The car waiting nearby for their quick getaway.  And then they just leave the middle-aged bounty hunter in there to rot.  Oh well.

Edited by Dobian

And then they just leave the middle-aged bounty hunter in there to rot.  Oh well.

Martin was in there voluntarily if I remember correctly, so he could leave whenever he wanted to.

He actually does come out of the facility in season 8, and that turns out to be a bad idea.

• Love 3

I love the opening of this episode. Sam and Dean tell the truth about their lives in order to be committed because they know no one will ever believe they are not crazy or on drugs.  So great. "He was just.....high"...I loved Dean's hand gestures on that LOL

I'm sorry but I just found this video about the opening scene and it's hilarious

• Love 2
(edited)
On 4/15/2016 at 2:41 PM, catrox14 said:

I love the opening of this episode. Sam and Dean tell the truth about their lives in order to be committed because they know no one will ever believe they are not crazy or on drugs.  So great. "He was just.....high"...I loved Dean's hand gestures on that LOL

I'm sorry but I just found this video about the opening scene and it's hilarious

Sam and Dean telling the truth to get put in the psych ward is never not funny. Watching this today.

Edited by Diane
  • Love 1

Agree, the way they got in was so easy.  Just tell the truth.  The wraith seemed easy to incapacitate with snapping off the appendage.  It was nice to get some good insight into Sam and Deans problems.

• Love 2
(edited)

I love the truth-telling. "I don't know. I don't have any elephant books." This is twice I've noticed this - Sam/Jared says Castiel weird. I want another episode where they go undercover like this for one of Dad's old friends. Broots! Barry's mom! Good guest stars. Heh. Dean has narcissistic personality disorder. "Dude. You can not hit that." Ah! Sam opened up a skull! "Pudding!" Nice reveals with the doctor. "I want him now. He's larger." "You've had worse." Crazy Sam fighting the orderlies is a awesome. I like those moments where you realize just how utterly terrifying Sam can be. Drugged Sam is funny and honest. "It's okay, Dean. 'Cause you're my brother and I still love ya. Boop!" I just watched the scenes with the doctor like a month ago and had already forgotten she wasn't real. I don't think we've ever seen Dean look more terrified than when he see the wraiths and thinks he's losing his mind. Poor Sam, hearing his worst fears about people thinking he's a monster. Again. "The monster?" "What?! Where?!" Poor Wendy. I'm glad she lived. I like Nurse Monster pointing out how easy a target the boys made themselves. I like Sam acknowledging his anger issues, and it's weird to hear Dean say that burying your issues is the way to go.  Seriously though, what happened to Jon Gries. I assumed he pulled the fire alarm, but did they think he attacked Wendy? 

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 2
(edited)

I didn't realize Dr. Erica Cartwright wasn't real at all until I read the comments!  I just always thought she was real at first - until that time she wasn't and Dean just thought he was talking to her.  

I like the 'blink and you miss it' smiles when the're walking down the hall first going for their check-ins.  "Silkwood showers" - Lol.   Also, I knew they used the aliases Eddie and Alex from Van Halen, but I didn't realize until this time through they actually used the surname Van Halen as their aliases as well.  I don't think those are real common names in Oklahoma - you'd think someone would have heard of them before.  

Oh dear, Sam looks so good in his white t-shirt.  Ew to the squishy sound-effects when he's sticking the extra long q-tip in the guys's head.  I don't know how he didn't end up covered in blood spatter after sawing open that skull though.  And I really don't know how he didn't get sent to a more secure facility in lockdown (at least strapped to the bed) after he attacked the doctor.   The drugged scene was cute though.  He's spectactulacular!  Lol.  Also, Sam's hair looks very early-S12-ish.  I like it.  

Dean was great - hilarious and yet so smart and determined - when he was talking to Martin and reasoning out what the monster was.  First time through, they had me fooled.  I didn't guess the nurse, so that was a good surprise.  

I wonder how many of the other patients got better immediately after they killed the wraith.  That kind of would have been cool to see - other's realizing they were okay.  

Edited by RulerofallIsurvey
additional thought on Sam's hair. That's important, you know.
  • Love 3
(edited)

Great episode and likely to end up in my top ten of S5when I finish rewatching the season. I loved the opening scene, the humour throughout the episode made me chuckle on several occasions (which is a rarity) for this show! I also appreciated the insight into the brothers issue. 

P.S: Am I the only one who finds it sad that a part of Dean was so desperate to share his load with someone that his mind conjured someone for him to confide in. Poor Dean :( 

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Love 3

"sam, interrupted" is too vague of a title to not be a reference to something, but i have no clue what it could be.

"What's the matter with you? You okay?"

"I just got thraped. So no, I'm not okay."

me and my mother and sister had to keep from yelling from this line since our father was sleeping the room. they can relate to this so much because all of them go to therapy and they say dean wraps it up nicely for them in just one word.

oh sam. this is the what, 3rd time we've seen him under the influence? seeing him this many times i would like to see what dean would spill if he's spaced out haha. and please dean, don't act like you didn't like sam's love tap, drugged or not. we all know you're the most sappy between the two of you, you emotional goose.

was totally not expecting that "pudding" distraction of dean. holy smack we had to hold in our laughs big time on that one. so unexpected and gold. i'm debating whether it was a good idea for the direction to make sam keep a straight face or just allow him to laugh, compose himself and pretend to laugh it off like he expected dean to do that. their faces when they got caught is gold as well, they looked like kid brothers caught with the cookies.

okay now onto the serious stuff:

"When was the last time you had a long term relationship?"

"Define long term."

"Two months."

"Never."

that's one of my favorite lines of the episode which made me laugh, but i couldn't help but get all up in my feelings. he and cassie didn't even last two months????  what a bummer. but i guess two months would have been too long for cassie to keep believing the "lies" dean was telling her. still i'm still heartbroken over that. poor dean was in love for (perhaps) the first time in his life and gave it his all and didn't even last the average free trial timespan. no wonder he hasn't said a word about it. that's gotta hurt.

i think i am becoming biased and maybe it's not an emmy worthy performance to some but jensen should have won something for this. he knocked it out once again. seeing him in the corner of the room trying to keep from crying just killed us all. and then when sam, who is already half crazy, sees him and wilds out even more. "LET ME GO! LET ME GO!!" boy if you don't stop stabbing my heart. these two man.

the face of the wraith scared the CRAP out of me and my mother. i actually screamed and scrambled into the bed and she yelped and looked away. that face was hideous af, oh my God. that was just sick. i liked how they made the character interestingly sweet by the voice they chose tho. the actress was good as well.

oh and i searched up what the doctor claimed dean had for sam, which was codependency syndrome, which i don't think was correct in the diagnosis.

in better ways than i can explain, codependency is

"A type of dysfunctional helping relationship where one person supports or enables another person's drug addiction, alcoholism, gambling addiction, poor mental health, immaturity, irresponsibility, or under-achievement. Among the core characteristics of codependency, the most common theme is an excessive reliance on other people for approval and a sense of identity."

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codependency)

for all the doctor knows dean could have enabled sam for his "poor mental health", but i don't see how the doctor could have seen he relied on sam for his identity and approval within an hour of meeting them. or maybe i'm just reading too much into this #_#

P.S. jensen can run fast! jared's legs are much longer than his yet he was maintaining the lead pretty nicely when they were booking from the hospital.

2 hours ago, Iju said:

"sam, interrupted" is too vague of a title to not be a reference to something, but i have no clue what it could be.

It's a reference to a movie called "Girl, Interrupted" which focuses on a group of women in a mental institution.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, DeeDee79 said:

It's a reference to a movie called "Girl, Interrupted" which focuses on a group of women in a mental institution.

thanks

On 4/15/2016 at 1:14 AM, Dobian said:

This was a good episode with a nice twist.  Mental hospitals always give me the creeps.  But you had to suspend a lot of disbelief in this one.  The ease with which Sam and Dean got admitted, for one.  And of course Sam's assault on the doctor with a knife.  That gets a visit from the police, a trip to the station, solitary in a straight jacket for awhile.  Not relaxing in your room on some heavy meds and then having a visit from your doctor while you are unrestrained.  The wraith somehow not getting noticed despite all the glass around where her reflection can be seen.  The car waiting nearby for their quick getaway.  And then they just leave the middle-aged bounty hunter in there to rot.  Oh well.

Yes, there was some pretty unbelievable stuff, which is why I couldn't decide if something was off with Dr. Cartwright. Nobody would do therapy right there in the common room, but the practices of the fake institution were off. Lol.

Obviously, I also enjoyed the truth telling getting them committed. This one packed a surprisingly big punch for what initially seemed like a basic monster hunt. I liked it.