Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 10/13/14

Sigh. They rescheduled Papa Bear.

10/13: Matt Bai (author – promoting book “All the Truth Is Out: The Week Politics Went Tabloid”)
10/14: Zach Galifianakis (actor – promoting movie “Birdman”)
10/15: Bill O’Reilly (host of “The O’Reilly Factor” & author – promoting book “Killing Patton”)
10/16: Bryan Stevenson (author – promoting book “Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption”)

• Love 1

They just need to break up, already. This love/hate affair has to stop. Maybe Stephen and Brian Williams can stage an intervention.

Probably has more to do with Jon probably going on The O'Reilly Factor at a later point this year to promote his movie. Weird venue for something like that so more of a quid pro quo than anything I bet. Of course that's just an assumption. They do seem to have fun together and Jon has one less book to read for the week.

I kind of dislike Gilifianakis more as a guest, but I hear amazing things about Birdman.

Edited by maculae

The main thing that bugs me about BillO's appearances is that there is absolutely zero chance that he will EVER change his mind on anything, no matter how many times Jon rolls 212. The guy is sure he is right and from accounts I've read will never admit he's wrong, even when presented proof. ("It’s often simpler to let him believe something erroneously than it is to correct him... He’d latched on to the story, and pesky things like 'facts' weren’t going to convince him otherwise.")

Gen. Patton himself could come back from the dead and tell Bill his "mercenary army" idea is terrible and I am sure Papa Bear would still be 100% convinced it's a brilliant strategy.

• Love 4

As if Bill O'Reilly wasn't insufferable enough, here's an article about him declaring victory over the media. And in it, this questionable reason as to why he appears on TDS to talk to Jon:

"I go on his show just to amuse myself, just to smack him around here and there," he said. "Because who else is going to do that [other] than me?"

I hope Jon takes off the gloves and goes after him tomorrow night.

Edited by Victor the Crab
  • Love 1

Ugh, O'Reilly. He really is a fucking egomaniac.

I don't think Jon would ever take off his gloves while he's the host. The code of hospitality seems to be too deeply ingrained; he never even sits before his guest does. Even the Cramer interview was about as amiable as eviscerations get. What he really needs to do is skip his breakfast and get into a really pissy mood. That seems to be the ticket, if Rob Corddry is to be believed.

Were some of those even real emails from the Democrats? They look as if they were sent by right wing trolls trying to stir up shit.

Exorcists and social media. Two things I never would have considered putting together under any circumstance.

What I seem to have gotten out of the interview with Matt Bai was that the better the technology available, the more shallower and superficial the news coverage is.

Were some of those even real emails from the Democrats?

I've gotten some of them, certainly. And dudes, once you're on 1 dem email list, you are on them all. I'm getting mail from candidates all over the country, and I can't vote for any of them. They'll sure be happy to take my money, though. My 'unsubscribe' fingers are getting a workout.

• Love 5

God, those emails. They are a constant presence in my inbox; I unsubscribe, but that's also frustrating because I'd like to be on such lists in case something actually important were to come up. Anyway, it's so irritating when positions that you generally or totally agree with are presented or supported in a way that comes across as nails on a chalkboard and undermines the fundamental arguments. Like Bill Maher on the oppressive effects of organized religions. I'm glad that someone on television gave those emails some grief because they are as annoying as the hell they should be banished to. (Thanks for that, Jessica.)

This was one of those times that I wanted an extended interview but didn't get it. Damn.

Edited by Fremde Frau
  • Love 1

I wonder if the Dems have all the emails because they don't have as many private Super-Pacs with billionaires donating millions as the Republicans do.  Maybe the Democratic party spends more money on candidates in some states, but how much are the super secret Super-pacs spending on the right wing candidates?

The thing is, they're spending all this money and barely anyone is going to vote. It seems like there needs to be a strategy beyond spend spend spend.

I can't believe what a racket exorcisms still are. Those people should are no different than the mafia shaking down someone for protection money.

• Love 2

The emails were pretty crazy but I really didn't like Jon's premise that Democratic fundraising is hypocritical because they are against all this dark money in elections. What would Jon have the Dems do? Give up trying to compete in all the races?

• Love 5

The emails were pretty crazy but I really didn't like Jon's premise that Democratic fundraising is hypocritical because they are against all this dark money in elections. What would Jon have the Dems do? Give up trying to compete in all the races?

Right. However inept or annoying, emails to a broad base of small contributors are an alternative to dependence on big dark money contributors.

And the unfortunate thing about the gimmicky subject lines -- on the whole they probably work better than anything else they've tried. It's human nature.

I've gotten a few of those emails. Me and POTUS in LA/NY/Chicago, "All hope is lost" the forwards of emails that I got just a few hours ago. I've been unsubscribing and deleting like a fiend. That said, if the Dems are outspending the GOP then clearly the desperate emails work. Millions of people giving $25 is a hell of a lot better than one guy giving millions so Jon can just put his false equivalence away.

I can remember the two email subjects that got me to give more than I ever had during the 2012 campaign. One was from Michelle Obama and had the subject line "Hey." The other was from Barack and had the subject line "George Clooney." Once I gave to the Clooney one, I got email after email telling me that one more donation just increased my chance of meeting George. I probably gave about $300 in ten dollar increments. LOL!

• Love 1

There was a lot of coverage a couple years ago that the Obama emails that got the best response (i.e. most $$$) had the subject line "Hey." I'm pretty sure TDS did a similar piece on the Dem email blasts during the 2012 cycle.

My late grandmother used to send me her some of the GOP direct mail pieces she received (like, actual paper that comes to your home mailbox) because she knew I got a kick out of them. A lot of them had the same desperate tone as the Dem emails. It wouldn't surprise me if the GOP still makes more money by sending paper mail than it does with email, since its constituency is older (case in point, my grandmother, who died at 91).

• Love 1

I think the point is maybe that Dems decry money in politics while taking in quite a lot of their own, and not all from this sort of grassroots fundraising but also and sometimes primarily from bigger, organized contributors. It's not big oil, the NRA, and the religious right, but it's big banks, law firms, insurance agencies, lobbyists, etc. Looking at the data on campaign financing is quite an eye-opener. I'd never vote Republican in a million years, and I think the Dems are fighting the good fight for the most part (certainly on social issues), but neither party has clean hands. That said, Citizens United is definitely the crowning glory of the GOP, and Jon has not infrequently ranted about that and about contributors like the Koch brothers and Sheldon Adelson. It's disillusioning, though, that the options appear to be either/or: either we fall in step with ugly politics as long as it's necessary, or we walk away. We are so locked into this two-party, corrupt system in the States that it's horrifying.

trow125, I bet you're right that those GOP emails generate more money with older constituents, but I wonder how they go over with younger Republicans. Family members forward them to me sometimes, thinking they can convert me, and they are so obnoxious. "Why have you abandoned the Republican Party? We must stop the liberal rampage. We'll give you one last chance to send us money." And so forth. Not to mention that old one about H.J. Resolution 15 that will introduce an Obama dictatorship and the likes of which have never, you know, been introduced before by Republicans. And the one where you can donate money to become a Benghazi Watchdog. Oh, shut up.

• Love 1

Jon, all you're doing by slamming Arby's is making me want a Beef 'N Chedder sandwich. CNN is the only U.S. news network that I get here in Canada. And I'm glad I don't watch that crap for my information, otherwise I'd be shitting my pants in fear.

Wow Staten Island 11th District, you really know how to pick winners, dontchya? I wouldn't blame the rest of the New York metro area if they decide to build a wall around your island so that they don't have to look at you. 

Total garbage sums up your entire journalistic career, O'Reilly.

• Love 2

Where the hell did that Democrat candidate come from? What an idiot. Were there no other people who wanted to run?

I hope I'm able to get out to see 'Birdman.' I enjoyed the interview, except for Jon interrupting. 

• Love 1

Wow, I feel so much better about being "old school" by not giving out my e-mail address when I make donations.  I have been so deluged by junk mail this year from charities/PACs/etc. that I just toss them straight into my recycling bin unopened and all new donations go out with a note saying that if they try to solicit more from me or sell my address to other groups, I won't give them another penny.  It's not like I'm depriving the people they purport to help:  apparently they're spending it all on stickers and self addressed envelopes...

• Love 1
Jon, all you're doing by slamming Arby's is making me want a Beef 'N Chedder sandwich.

What's the deal with Arby's bringing TDS all of that free food? If you are typical, Victor the Crab, then it really is true that any publicity is better than no publicity. "Hey, TDS just said that Arby's food tastes like raw sewage! Now I'm really craving one of their sandwiches!"

The Democratic candidate from Staten Island reminded me of Miss Teen South Carolina from a few years ago. You'd think somebody running for Congress would be more eloquent than a teenage beauty pageant contestant.

Oh, last night after the show, I Googled "chocolate freedom White House," and it turns out it's... a chocolate soufflé. Maybe it was named back in the Freedom Fries era, when "soufflé" may have sounded too French?

• Love 2

The problem with the exorcisms is that the church is an organized body, with legal protections, at least in the USA. And 2 thousand years of history. It's kind of worse than just going to a psychic.

I don't expect politicians to know everything about everything. That's unrealistic. But I do expect them to have some overall governing philosophy and have people on their team who can inform them of more details on whatever topic is coming up. 

I'm not defending the guy, but it's kind of a trap just to ask something by its letters. TPP could stand for a lot of things. I know what TPP is, but if you just randomly asked me, I'd be like what does that stand for? Then, I'd know what it is.

I want to be excited about the interview tonight, but I'm afraid I'll be disappointed. If Jon does a major, mic-dropping segment on something he's really passionate about, like religious profiling or racism, then it could lead to a more serious debate on his part. If he's covering Ebola or midterm elections again in a generally upbeat mood, then I'm not sure I'll watch the interview. (No offense.)

What's the deal with Arby's bringing TDS all of that free food? If you are typical, Victor the Crab, then it really is true that any publicity is better than no publicity. "Hey, TDS just said that Arby's food tastes like raw sewage! Now I'm really craving one of their sandwiches!"

You want to know what's funny, trow125? As a kid, growing up along the Canada-U.S. border, we used to bug our parents about taking us to Arby's whenever we were in the States. We didn't have one in our Canadian town, and we thought they were the most delicious things around (Hey, we were kids, we didn't know any better, okay?!!). Plus, it was one of those American things we didn't have back home but so badly wanted. Like Hostess Fruit Pies, or those cereals you couldn't get at Canadian supermarkets.

Finally, as a twenty year old, an Arby's opened up in our Canadian town, and I was ecstatic. At first. But, after awhile, something lost me. Perhaps it was because something that was once a little out of reach for me became readily available, the thrill of going to Arby's was gone. Soon, it became just another corporate fast food joint that bored me.

After I moved out of town, I swear, the number of times I've eaten at Arby's in the past 25 years I could count on one hand. This despite increased, aggressive advertising here in Canada.

But because of Jon and his running gag of attacking Arby's through mock promotion this past year, I've ended up getting that craving for Arby's sandwiches again. I've already visited an Arby's three times this calendar year.

[shakes fist in the air] DAMN YOU, JON STEWART AND YOUR ATTEMPT AT SATIRE!!!!!

• Love 5

I get the cravings for Arby's, too, every time they have fun with it. (Not for their curly fries, though. Those things are not to be endured.)

If only okonomiyaki could become a popular thing here. Everyone I make it for always loves it, but it's never offered at the local restaurants. It is by far the food I miss most since having moved from Japan.

If only okonomiyaki could become a popular thing here. Everyone I make it for always loves it, but it's never offered at the local restaurants. It is by far the food I miss most since having moved from Japan.

Korean restaurants offer something very much like that around here.

• Love 1

Yes, I understand that as a lifelong Catholic. However, one thing I did not get from Jessica's piece - which I watched multiple times - was what exactly that particular priest's relationship was with the Catholic Church.

I found an article about Bob Larson, the Skype exorcist, and not surprisingly, he has nothing to do with the Catholic Church. He is "the head of the Spiritual Freedom Church of Scottsdale, Arizona."

The other exorcist appears to be a legitimate Catholic: "Fr. Gary Thomas is the mandated exorcist for the Diocese of San Jose, California. In 2005, his bishop, Most Rev. Patrick Joseph McGrath, asked him to take training in Rome for the rite of exorcism." (Catholic.com)

• Love 1

I get the cravings for Arby's, too, every time they have fun with it. (Not for their curly fries, though. Those things are not to be endured.)

If only okonomiyaki could become a popular thing here. Everyone I make it for always loves it, but it's never offered at the local restaurants. It is by far the food I miss most since having moved from Japan.

Come to NYC. I've definitely had some great Japanese food here even my husband who just spent time in Japan doesn't hate it.

• Love 1

Oh, Julia, where do you live? I need to move there. Seriously, it is my favorite food, especially the Hiroshima style.

Maculae, I've been considering a move to NYC. (The cost of living is a bit of a deterrent.) I'm mostly yearning to be somewhere with more cultural diversity than this small town in Georgia.

Edited by Fremde Frau
  • Love 1

Oh, Julia, where do you live? I need to move there. Seriously, it is my favorite food, especially the Hiroshima style.

In Queens. Flushing is pretty much a korean neighborhood.

If you don't do the outer boroughs, so is Manhattan around the thirties off sixth avenue.

• Love 1

So, New York it is, then. Damn, I need to at least visit the city, even if I can't afford to live there. I drove through once about six years ago on my way from Georgia to Boston, but all I remember is seeing the beautiful skyline all lit up in the night and reflected on the water. On the drive back, we passed by at dawn. So gorgeous and so emotional. I grew up in Hiroshima, Japan, and haven't often felt particularly patriotic as an American, but it was quite a feeling to pass through NYC.

• Love 1

So, New York it is, then. Damn, I need to at least visit the city, even if I can't afford to live there.

Plus you need to attend a TDS taping at some point in your life!

BTW, I haven't gotten any info about next week's shows, but I'm assuming it'll be a rerun week, as the show will be taping in Austin during the week of the 27th.

• Love 1

Yes! Oh, god, I'd love to go to a taping. I'll never make it up there in time to see Stephen at TCR, but maybe I could visit sometime next year for a TDS taping. If only I could get a ticket for Late Show, as well; that would be amazing. And Oliver and Wilmore, too! Argh, there are too many of them now! But if I could only attend one, it would be TDS.

(On second thought, I'd probably write the most embarrassing, gushing taping report, especially if I managed to ask Jon a question. It's just as well that this is an impossible dream!)

Actually, the Democrats have plenty of successes they can boast, going into the midterms, like the ACA and the continuing recovery of the economy that the Republicans nearly cratered. Problem is, Republicans, along with their mouthpieces in the media, right wing and mainstream, keep on endlessly jackhammering that Obama and the Democrats are useless, that they're the worst, and that everything they touch turns to shit. And the Democrats are too chickenshit to stand up for themselves.

I'll wait till later to watch the O'Reilly interview, if I get around to it.

• Love 2

The interview on YouTube is all that I've seen so far.

I'll say this, for those who haven't seen it: they talked about white privilege, and Jon was in his no-bullshit mode. Twitter lit up, and O'Reilly was trending for a while. Basically, if it had to be an O'Reilly interview, it was exactly what I was hoping for. It's as intense an interview as I've ever seen between them. I'm actually looking forward to the extended version.

Edited by Fremde Frau
  • Love 1

Hehe, Jon didn't give O'Reilly much of a chance to talk, did he? Only fair since Pinhead doesn't give his guests a chance to talk on his show either. Jon was certainly worked up and he wasn't trying to be Mr Nice Polite Guy either. I especially loved when Jon rather contemptuously threw O'Reilly's book under his desk after saying no, he hadn't read it.

• Love 2

Jon tossing the book was perfect. I think they've been on each other's shows so often that there's sort of an etiquette shorthand. Jon was in debate mode, and he was taking O'Reilly there whether or not O'Reilly was comfortable with that topic.

Of course, it ended as amiably as always. I wonder what it would take for Jon to throw up his hands and just declare a guest dead to him.

EDIT: Here is the extended interview. They definitely cut out some fluff, especially at the beginning and end, but I wish they hadn't also cut out Jon's point about women and minorities having to make calculations in their daily lives that white men in this country needn't worry about.

Edited by Fremde Frau
  • Love 1

In Queens. Flushing is pretty much a korean neighborhood.

This is so true that it almost s/b called Koreatown now, instead of Chinatown.  Or, perhaps more broadly (& more accurately) Asia-town?  now I'm getting a craving for something Asian!  Perhaps Phobang?  Joe's Shanghai?  Yum.