Type keyword(s) to search

SNL: The Current Cast Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Discussion in this topic is for current cast members. Thank you!

• Start Topic

Kate would be great. But I would also love to see Sasheer doing white face doing black face as the impression. The whole internet would collapse at that point, I'm 87% sure of it.

The Tumblr servers would never get back up to full speed ever again.

• Love 1

Not to change to subject, but can we all have a moment of silence for the fact that this Rachel Dolezal nonsense is breaking now and not at a time when we could see Kate do a balls-to-the-wall batshit crazy impression?

I know what you mean. I was bummed when the Kim Kardashian "break the internet" photo came out just when Nasim left.

• Love 1

I'd seen her do that bit in some stand-up from a few years ago. It's nice that she's finally polished it off...in the video I saw, she was reading the whole thing straight from a notebook, it was really weird. Not even glancing down at a notebook to remind herself what the next bit was like I've seen some comics do. Actually holding up a notebook and reading the bit from it while she performed.

I didn't even realize she did standup - maybe she should started later, and that's why she was reading straight from the notebook?

Regardless, she should either REALLY tighten up that bit, or just stick to doing a Jennifer Aniston impression.  Because other than getting the mannerisms of Rachel down (the voice def wasn't there, just the ticks), the rest of the impressions were pretty bad.  

I was listening to a podcast with Beck Bennett and he said they learn if their contracts are renewed on July 17th. The featured players, not the contracted cast.

Anybody hinting on twitter or anything yet?

Cecily Strong interview at EW.com about her role in Staten Island Summer, the movie Colin Jost wrote which also features Kate McKinnon, Mike O'Brien, Will Forte and Fred Armisen. Here's an interesting part of where she based a Weekend Update character on:

I’m risking being rude, but there’s one scene with Mary Ellen in the film that reminded me of your hilarious “Weekend Update” character, One-Dimensional Female Character From a Male-Driven Comedy. By chance, was that part of the inspiration for your SNL character?
Wow. No, it actually wasn’t. It was more different scripts that I read the summer after [filming].

Aw, I liked that interview.  It also made me feel for Colin Jost - not that I ever thought he was dumb, but he does come off as very smart, measured and self-aware about his tenure behind the desk.  I really did think that both Colin & Michael found their footing by the end of the season - they actually seem like decently good friends, or at the very least, comfortable enough around each other to tease each other.  

• Love 1

This isn't Twitter, and it's not much of a surprise, but I heard Pete Davidson on the Doug Loves Movies podcast yesterday, and he confirmed he is coming back for the next season of the show.

Good.  I figured he was a lock and could tell they like him.  Honestly I expect everyone back.  The question is whether they hire any newbies, maybe with the Republican  circus of people running in mind, but  I just don't think there's room.

The cast will also be top heavy.  Beck and Kyle will need to be bumped up to the main cast after completing the regular two years of being featured, as I think Colin and Sasheer will as well.  I believe it's a union rule or something.  

Shasheer is dead weight, but you know she's not getting cut.

Sasheer is awful. I hope she chooses to move on.

I'm curious why you think that. I do think she's underutilized. Or I should say that she's only used for certain characters: anyone who has to dance, the sassy black woman, or impressions of Rihanna/Nikki Minaj/insert black female entertainer. Is it her or the writing? I mean, are there sketches she's been in where she was asked to play a different kind of character where she was terrible? (I'm really asking--I don't know).

I'm not the person you're quoting, topanga, but I'll throw my two cents in. I, personally, find Sasheer to be very bland. No matter what parts they give her, whether they're impressions or characters, she's just dull, and uses the same Valley Girl voice for everything. She had a bit on WU last season about there being no black emojis (which has obviously since changed) and it was just totally toothless. I recognize that this show has a diversity problem, but I don't think it would be much of a loss if she was let go.

• Love 3

I'm curious why you think that. I do think she's underutilized. Or I should say that she's only used for certain characters: anyone who has to dance, the sassy black woman, or impressions of Rihanna/Nikki Minaj/insert black female entertainer. Is it her or the writing? I mean, are there sketches she's been in where she was asked to play a different kind of character where she was terrible? (I'm really asking--I don't know).

I'm the one who called her dead weight. And like helanamonster said, she's just bland. This is SNL, if you want it, you have to put some sort of life into even the most mundane of bits. Hell, poor Vanessa pretty much plays moms or Jacob the bar mitzvah boy, but she makes every mom bit pop. Sasheer is just bland, no matter the character, even when she's doing a well known person like Minaj who is hella hard to make bland. Minaj is basically a walking SNL character, if Sasheer could make her pop, she could have a running bit. See the above Vanessa and Miley. 

• Love 2

New castmember.

His stand up clip is pretty funny.  Looks like he can help play some of the 60 Republican challengers. 

Lol. They're going to need all hands on deck. As it is, some of the female cast members will probably have to do drag if they do a debate sketch.

Who else could play Trump? I'm always pro-Beck for anything that will get him more recognition. It's hard when Hammond is so good and back on payroll. I don't think Taran should do it though, he's tall so they need him for Jeb or whatever other tall white guys are running. 

I agree that if they do give it to someone else, Beck would be the obvious choice. It's just that Darrell is just so damn good at his impressions that it would kind of be startling to know that he's right there in the studio and not doing it. Idk, I guess we'll see. But since they brought him back as Bill Clinton, I don't see why they wouldn't do the same from Trump.

The question I have now is how many candidates Taran will play.  I think he was already playing Jeb and Marco Rubio.   With the way Trump constantly mocks Jeb, that could be interesting.

Edited by vb68

I guess they could Jeb to Beck? Idk, when do candidates start realizing they haven't got a snowball's chance in hell of winning the nomination and respectfully back out? I can't handle the GOP Klown Kar for much longer.

I'll miss Darrell, but I think Taran can handle it. He's a stellar impressionist. Even when he looks nothing like the target of his impression (Matthew McConaughey).

• Love 1

They hired a new guy. Maybe he'll be Jeb. Nah, it should be Beck. In case he stays in for a long time. I bet three more guys will be out of the race before the premiere. We've got almost two weeks of nonsense. Jay is Dr. Ben, Kyle is Rand, Bobby is Cruz and Christie. 

Who would have thought that SNL wouldn't have enough white dudes to cover a primary election? 

• Love 1

Don't know if this is the place to mention this, but I just saw Kate in another ad, this time for something for Masterpass.

The woman is so amazingly versatile.

From the article at the link (and the video)

SNL actress Kate McKinnon doesn't appreciate having to waste so much time filling out all of her personal information when she's shopping online for a new dress. With MasterPass, McKinnon can spend less time typing, and more time performing a tango with her passionate dance partner.

Here's the link:-http://www.ispot.tv/ad/ALdU/mastercard-masterpass-dress-featuring-kate-mckinnon

I would think Keenan would make a good Cruz. He does those characters that talk like they know what they're saying but don't have a lot going on behind to back it up pretty well (Reese de'What or Willie).

I hope Nasim comes back on occasion to do her Bobby Jindal.