Type keyword(s) to search

SNL: The Current Cast Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Discussion in this topic is for current cast members. Thank you!

• Start Topic

So apparently, this wasn't the first time Michael Che had foot-in-mouth disease on that particular topic--tjust the first time he got caught publicly (most likely due to his star having risen because of Weekend Update).

Oh, for fuck's sake. What a mess.

You know, for a little bit, I really wanted to give Michael the benefit of the doubt. I thought maybe part of the problem (which I think is true for a lot of comedians) is that he hadn't quite adapted to telling jokes through social media. A lot of stand-up, especially more controversial stand-up (idk if his stand-up is controversial or not) requires a context, tone, persona, etc. that just doesn't come through online, especially if you're not a particularly well-known comedian. But he can go piss up a rope as far as I'm concerned. What an asshole. I doubt he'll lose his job or anything, but I'm finished with him. So aside from the walk-ons (which have actually been really good lately; I always used to hate them), there's nothing for me to enjoy about WU right now.

• Love 1

The other thing is that while Michael is a comedian, that doesn't necessarily mean that everything he tweets, posts on Facebook, etc. is a joke. Just because he's funny for a living doesn't mean he's trying to be funny all the time. For all we know, some or all of those posts could be dead serious.

I even tried to look at this whole thing with the possible idea that he's taking on a Sarah Silverman-esque persona where he's the ignoramus, but it doesn't really work. Bah. I just need to accept that he's a jerk and move on.

Crap, I wish I didn't come into this thread and read that tumblr with all of Michael Che's posts. Ugh. Now I understand why everyone on tumblr and twitter wanted his head on a platter (and maybe why he was so off his game in tonight's update). I was super excited when he was announced as the new WU anchor (even though I loved Cecily) because I've seen some of his standup, and he co-wrote one of my favorite sketches from last year (the "12 Years a Slave" auditions, with Brooks). But man, those are some awful, awful posts.

The women of the cast seem to be rather feminist, so I can't imagine they're happy with Michael either. Wouldn't be at all surprised if that article about Cecily's demotion and the women being mad about it is true. I mentioned this in the episode thread, but the current cast really isn't gelling together, and after watching that vintage episode, tonight's episode made me long for the Kristen era (And I hated the Kristen era with the heat of a 1,000 suns). The sketches might have sucked, but you could at least tell the cast was having a blast performing together.

The cast is just too big right now. Is this the largest cast ever?

I think there may have been an even larger cast.  If I remember correctly, at one point that was such a large cast it took Don Pardo forever to get through all the names.  But I can't remember when it was.

• Love 1

There are 15 people in the current cast, which is 2 less than last year (well, technically 3, as there were 18 different cast members total in Season 39, but only 17 at a time since Seth and Colin didn't intersect). Idk which year had the biggest cast.

I just started listening to this podcast with Bill Simmons and James Andrew Miller, the co-author of the SNL oral history book. They go into why Jim Carrey and Kate McKinnon weren't in more sketches together. And Miller is curious as to why McKinnon has disappeared this season. So far, a great listen.

(Edited to add: What's interesting to me is that Miller has to be a Lorne loyalist while lightly critiquing the show because he needs to maintain access, while Simmons is just blunt in how the show has sucked, especially Weekend Update.)

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantland/player?id=11797037

As for largest cast, Season 17 (91-92) had 18 credited cast members. I think that's the largest.

This is my favorite sketch of all time. And it features all 18 (I think) on one screen.

https://screen.yahoo.com/steve-martin-cold-opening-000000189.html

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 1

It was nice to get  a (sorta) confirmation  that Bill Murray just changed his mind about hosting even though that sucks.  As Bill Simmons says, everyone thought it was happening.

It was also nice for me to hear Miller stick up for Jan Hooks.  I agree that she's the most underrated cast member ever.  "The Meryl Streep of sketch comedy."

One thing, though.  Maybe I just follow SNL too closely to know, but is it true that people under 30 have no idea who Gilda is?   I thought she was revered in the pantheon like Belushi and Bill Murray.  That was distressing to hear.

• Love 1

I just started listening to this podcast with Bill Simmons and James Andrew Miller, the co-author of the SNL oral history book. They go into why Jim Carrey and Kate McKinnon weren't in more sketches together. And Miller is curious as to why McKinnon has disappeared this season. So far, a great listen.

Could you give a rundown? I don't know when I'll be able to listen to the podcast.

• Love 3
Maybe I just follow SNL too closely to know, but is it true that people under 30 have no idea who Gilda is?

I barely know who she is, and I would guess I know more about her than my friends. So, I'm guessing that's pretty true. 

Just adding my two cents, I believe it's true that a younger generation may not know who Gilda is if they have not seen the vintage episodes of SNL.   I've talked about Gilda before at work, and My twenty something co-worker had not a clue to whom I was talking about, and due to copy right restrictions on youtube I couldn't find a great clip to show her the brilliance of Todd and Lisa, Roseannadanadana, & Emily Litella.

I have younger friends who are surprised when I tell them that Eddie Murphy used to do stand up, because they only know him from the Nutty Professor and Donkey in Shrek.

I'm not saying all younger people don't know who she is, I think it depends on the house your brought up in and/or your interests in Television.  I grew up knowing SNL because it was a staple in our home and my parents rented every movie a SNL actor of that time made,  and of course because I'm also 41 years old. lol.

Edited by Mckinnonsgirl
  • Love 1

One thing, though.  Maybe I just follow SNL too closely to know, but is it true that people under 30 have no idea who Gilda is?   I thought she was revered in the pantheon like Belushi and Bill Murray.  That was distressing to hear.

Under 30-er here, and the only reason(s) I think I even know who Gilda is is because of a) seeing clips of her in specials and b) my mother, who was 15 when SNL started and has told me about old sketches/cast members. I agree with Mckinnonsgirl that the lack of availability of old clips on YouTube due to copyright restrictions is definitely a factor, but Yahoo Screen has a lot of Gilda sketches up that I've since gone back and watched. I think she was awesome, and perhaps might be better known to people today if she hadn't died so young.

• Love 1

I think comedy geeks of all ages are going to know more about the past than a typical person. Unfortunately Gilda died so young and had no big iconic films like Belushi had Blues Brothers / Animal House. But I think of her as the funniest cast member ever.

• Love 2
I have younger friends who are surprised when I tell them that Eddie Murphy used to do stand up, because they only know him from the Nutty Professor and Donkey in Shrek.

Say it isn't so!  Eddie Murphy was hilarious in Beverly Hills Cop - must-see viewing!

• Love 1

There was some talk on what will become of Sasheer in the last episode thread. I thought the conversation may be more appropriate here.

While Leslie's persona shines through more clearly and is funnier, I don't think Sasheer will lose her role to Leslie or get turned down because of two factors. She has the ability to stretch her characters more than Leslie, and she's able to do impressions. She does the valley girl, but she's also done the ghetto girl, and she can sing.

Sasheer also got to play Michelle Obama. I can't imagine that role will be Leslie's any time soon. It's almost unheard of to have 2 black females on any TV show anywhere outside of UPN/BET. There is plenty of room for both, they are nothing alike. 

Honestly, I don't think they needed someone just to play Mrs. Obama.  She's not integral to this administration (comedy wise) and the writers certainly can come up with sketches without her in them.

I've seen some people say on other forums that if Leslie reminds them of anyone, it's Tracy Morgan.  Not sure I completely agree there beyond them both being a little over the top.  But I have seen that opinion being expressed.

I have little to base this on other than gut response, but I've loved Leslie in almost every sketch I've seen her in whereas Tracy Morgan inspires the exact opposite reaction.

I called out the anniversary sketch as being horribly cliche, but one good thing about it was it gave Leslie a chance to demonstrate that she can do a calm, normal character well if needed. They don't need to restrict her to just shouty over-the-top parts.

• Love 1

I have say that only a year ago, the concept of any SNL season featuring two black female performers was unheard of. Over years, we were lucky just to get one, especially if the caliber of that performer was on the par of a Maya Rudolph. Now we have two, and I hope it's a given that they don't necessarily cancel each other out. If you think Sasheer's talent runs on the average side (I personally do not, but that's JMHO), consider about how many average white male SNL performers we've had to endure over the years.

In other words, there's room for both Leslie and Sasheer. There's always been room, but up until now, no one in charge seemed to realize this was even possible.

Edited by A Boston Gal
  • Love 10

I'm a bit late to respond to this, but what Michael Che wrote about the street harassment issue disgusts me and no, I don't think this was meant as a joke or that he should try to pass it off as one. Every time I watch WU I just can't look at him the same way anymore. I really wonder how the female members of the cast feel about this.

• Love 3

I really wonder how the female members of the cast feel about this.

They have been  notably silent in  commenting about it or giving him any support, which I think probably sends a message in itself.  

• Love 2

I can understand them not saying anything. I'd assume they're not cool with what he said (Kate is the only female cast member I've actually seen identify as a feminist, but I'm sure most or all of them are), but it wouldn't be a good idea to blast a colleague on social media. I mean, they still have to work with him whether they like him or not. Sometimes it's best to just keep your feelings to yourself.

I just hate that this whole thing is probably preventing the show from doing any sort of commentary, whether in a sketch or on WU, about the recent street harassment hoopla. The whole thing has really brought some grade-A assholes out of the woodwork, but since Michael is one of them, they have to tip-toe around the issue. It's unfortunate, since SNL is supposed to be topical, and this has been a pretty hot topic.

• Love 2

Oh, I know the women can't say anything about it on social media or really confront him about it. It's hard enough to do something about issues like this when you work at a job that isn't at all high-profile the way SNL is. I'd just love to be a fly on the wall of their conversations with each other and listen to what they say about it in private. There's probably been some good (and hilarious) commiserating between them.

• Love 1

Well, after Taran tried to defend him, though rather half-heartedly IMO on twitter, the silence of the women in the cast not rushing to his defense rang a little louder to me. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

Oh, I know the women can't say anything about it on social media or really confront him about it. It's hard enough to do something about issues like this when you work at a job that isn't at all high-profile the way SNL is. I'd just love to be a fly on the wall of their conversations with each other and listen to what they say about it in private. There's probably been some good (and hilarious) commiserating between them.

Aw man, could you imagine, though? Maybe when the next edition of Live from New York comes out, we'll get the full scoop. I haven't read the book yet (I'm getting it for Christmas) but people talk shit about each other in it, right?

Well, after Taran tried to defend him, though rather half-heartedly IMO on twitter, the silence of the women in the cast not rushing to his defense rang a little louder to me. 

Taran's defense was really weird too, saying that his wife and daughter like him. First of all, according to Wikipedia, his daughter is five, so she wouldn't have a clue as to what any of this was about. And, idk, it was odd. Like, okay, this one woman thinks Michael is swell, case closed. It's like when someone is accused of being racist and their first line of defense is, "I'm not racist, I have a black friend!"

• Love 1

I can't look at Che the same way, either. His remarks seemed willfully clueless to me, like he wasn't even interested in discussing the matter seriously, because he doesn't think it's worth his time. He doesn't see it as a problem, so he ridiculed it. 

This is the first WU team I've ever disliked. There's nothing offensive about Jost, I just don't think he's funny. WU has always been a show highlight, now it's getting to the point I don't even want to watch. Bring back Cecily, team her with Beck. 

• Love 2

I agree. Not liking the latest WU team.

I'd love to see Cecily/Beck! I though Cecily was doing just fine! And Beck could do some take on the warped newsman persona like Anchorman/Daily Show, etc.

Lorne was originally going to be the WU guy before Chevy. Maybe he could finally give it a go? Pair him with Leslie. I'd watch that!

If they're not going to replace Jost/Che, they should at least consider dropping it for the week whenever they don't have any good jokes and guest bits. 

About Pete. That is interesting to compare his cool and measured response to Che's thin-skinnedness. 

Edited by pythonite

I'm surprised about the White House Correspondents Dinner. Don't they usually go with someone who has more stand-up experience or is a bigger name? Also, the articles I've read said that they chose Cecily for her "sly" political humour. Other than WU, she hasn't really done any political humour. They specifically mention her father's connections to the Associated Press bureau, so I guess that had something to do with the decision as well. Who picks the White House Correspondent Dinner host?

In terms of WU, I'm surprised that so many people are in favour of Cecily returning. I remember last year people thought she was passable or okay, at best. Now it seems that people are like "she was so great!" I guess it's just in comparison to Jost and Che. That I can understand.

Edited by wudpixie
  • Love 1

I'm still thinking we are stuck with Jost and Che for this season.  Lorne loathes to make big changes in the middle of a season.  And i think last year Seth staying for half a season proved to help no one.

• Love 1
And Beck could do some take on the warped newsman persona like Anchorman/Daily Show, etc.

There's precedent for this. Back when Dan Aykroyd was an anchor, he used his real name but played a kind of jerkish newsman character, kind of like Stephen Colbert-lite. Which made all the "Jane you ignorant slut" stuff seem perfectly normal! They haven't gone in that direction with WU since. I'd like to see Beck give it a shot. I think he has the potential to make it successful.

I always thought Cecily did a decent job, and was improving. I was looking forward to what she would do this season, then they replaced her with caveman.

Edited by DXD526
  • Love 2

I thought Cecily started out a little shaky, which was to be expected, but I felt like she was really starting to get comfortable and build a nice chemistry with Seth just as he was leaving. Bringing Colin in just kind of dragged her down, imo. The reason I thought she worked with Seth is because he's a little bit snarkier and harder, and she was kind of cutesy and ditzy, and the contrast was nice. But then with Colin, it was two goobers doing the segment and it became very...saccharine is too strong of a word, but it definitely lost its edge. She wasn't the greatest WU anchor ever, but I think she would work with a certain kind of person, and Colin was/is not that kind of person.

• Love 1

I was reading the Deadline article about Cecily hosting the Correspondents Dinner, and one of the comments said Kate is shooting a movie right now while also coming back to do the show, so that's probably why she's being underused.

The Media thread already has the link to the Chris Rock essay in the Hollywood Reporter where he mentions how he helped Leslie Jones get on SNL. Also didn't know he helped get JB Smoove hired as a writer years ago, even though as he said on Kimmel none of his sketches ever made it on the show! I only remember him when he and Paula Pell played a couple in audience during the monologue!

Edited by VCRTracking

I've seen some people say on other forums that if Leslie reminds them of anyone, it's Tracy Morgan.  Not sure I completely agree there beyond them both being a little over the top.  But I have seen that opinion being expressed.

That's a good analogy. While I found Tracy funny on SNL and 30 Rock, he was always the same character, basically himself. I'm getting that vibe from Leslie too.

• Love 1