Type keyword(s) to search

Scheduling & Ratings: Countdown to the Return of Jamie

Athena
  • Start Topic

This guy who's a SpoilerTV writer is tweeting about the ratings. These are just the ratings for the live broadcast, not On Demand or DVR.

Robert Fruin @RobertFruin18  ·  3h 3 hours ago

I should add: The Demo (0.2) was the lowest since 1.06,not the viewers.The viewers though are still less than the last 4 Episodes #Outlander

Robert Fruin @RobertFruin18  ·  3h 3 hours ago

Looks like "Wentworth Prison" did put some viewers off, as #Outlander gets a 0.2 & 1.01m in the ratings. Lowest rated episode since 1.06.

So, I guess all that PR and drum beating in the media put some people off.

(edited)

Here's another list of season ratings that has a little more info.  I believe this is live broadcast only in the US. 

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/outlander-season-one-ratings-33648/

I wish the numbers had been interpreted/put in the context of other shows, but looking at the numbers for shows on HBO, it looks as though Outlander is in the middle of the pack but barely. If I am reading the numbers correctly, It's way behind GoT and less dramatically behind 6 other HBO shows. It's ahead of 9 others, 4 of which have been cancelled or are ending. 3 of the 9 have been renewed and there is no information about 2 others. I would say the numbers are mildly worrying. The fate of season 3 may depend on how many people were turned off by the last 2 episodes of season 1.

ETA. I fixed the last sentence to say season 1 instead of 2. I meant if the ratings go down next year due to disgruntled viewers, it may not be renewed for a 3d season.

Edited by AD55

It's not the current ratings that worry me so much as the cost of production and keeping everyone on board as the scope of the show changes. Outlander could be Starz flagship if the cost of production doesn't get out of hand, and viewers can handle the revolving cast and moving away from Scotland.

How long are the actors contracts? UK 2 year or US 7? 

I wish the numbers had been interpreted/put in the context of other shows, but looking at the numbers for shows on HBO, it looks as though Outlander is in the middle of the pack but barely. If I am reading the numbers correctly, t's way behind GoT and less dramatically behind 6 other HBO shows. It's ahead of 9 others, 4 of which have been cancelled or are ending. 3 of the 9 have been renewed and there is no information about 2 others. I would say the numbers are mildly worrying. The fate of season 3 may depend on how many people were turned off by the last 2 episodes of season 2.

I wish the numbers were compared to other shows on Starz.  They announced the 2nd season renewal right after the first episode aired so they had to be happy with that number and despite the troubling dropoff from the half-season cliffhanger, they finished up the season a little better than where they started.  I think Starz blew it when they decided to take the long mid-season break.  Instead of building on the momentum of an uninterrupted season, they never quite got all of those viewers back.  

I think it bodes well for a season 3 that they are airing all of season 2 at one time.

• Love 2

Starz has a bit of a rep for canceling shows after 2 seasons. I am not saying that this is an imminent danger for Outlander. But what these cable networks are looking for is critical buzz and steady audience growth.  Outlander is probably an expensive show to produce and I don't know how they could justify producing TV adaptations of all the books looking at the current audience numbers which are actually trending down instead of up. To compare, Game of Thrones, which is a very expensive show to produce started out with pretty low audience figures. But it has grown its audience every season until it became the biggest ratings hit HBO has ever had, beating even The Sopranos I believe.

I personally won't subscribe next season to Starz.  I asked my book reader friend point blank whether she could promise me that there would be no more explicit rape and torture in future seasons. If she could promise me that I would keep watching. She couldn't promise me that so I am out. Shrugs. I am sure the die hard fans are going to keep watching. But it takes more than die hards to have a cable hit show.

The Emmys might be critical. I'm not terribly optimistic, but if they get some recognition there, that might turn on a lot of people in the offseason. 

Later seasons would have a home base that might cut production costs a bit, but those books are a long way off. 

I think the split season hurt them more than anything. Hopefully airing them all in sequence next season will make a difference. Ron did say they managed to stay within budget this past season so he is mindful of that. I mostly want to make it through to book 3. I'd be ok if it ended there.

• Love 1

Well, the good news is that those numbers do not include On Demand, StarzPlay, and DVR/multi-views, which numbers are apparently more important to cable execs.  Also subscriber growth is even more important.  In their 1st qtr earnings, Starz reported that their subscriber numbers were at an all-time high.  They now only trail HBO.  Their CEO was very gung-ho about their plan to expand their original programming globally (and we are seeing that with Outlander now).

Here's the best part:

Starz CEO Chris Albrecht said its all about the originals and was pleased with performances and critical reception of both “Outlander” and “Black Sails”....
“We delivered strong year-over-year revenue and earnings growth in the first quarter,” Albrecht said. “Our solid financial profile highlights the success of our strategic growth plan to develop, produce and monetize Starz Original series globally.

http://www.thewrap.com/starz-q1-subscribers-revenue-earnings-encore-chris-albrecht/

• Love 1
(edited)

I personally won't subscribe next season to Starz.  I asked my book reader friend point blank whether she could promise me that there would be no more explicit rape and torture in future seasons. If she could promise me that I would keep watching. She couldn't promise me that so I am out. Shrugs. I am sure the die hard fans are going to keep watching. But it takes more than die hards to have a cable hit show.

Not just in regards to magdelene's post about dropping out after 1 season, but it makes me wonder how each season going forward will be promoted and/or received?  Each book is significantly different, both in location and primary objectives of the major characters, in many ways.  There are new characters, with their own objectives, that come into play in future books. other POV's besides Claire and Jamie.  Will this work to bring viewers back and/or bring in new viewers if the new directions appeal to their curiosity?   Has GoT had many primary characters added over the seasons that were not in the 1st or 2nd season?  I've watched GoT but I don't pay for HBO so I'm always one season behind and need a spreadsheet to keep track of characters, much less their objectives.   Violence, rape, brutal situations, yes, those distasteful things don't go completely away in Outlander, but the big story over the (potential) future seasons is what will make this a pretty complex saga, if it does go the distance.

I guess I can see it going either way and with a year off until next season I hope there might be more folks willing to take another chance on it and that more will be wondering how they missed it the first time.

I am probably one of the few who didn't mind the 8-8 split and think that might have been a smart way to market this show, unique from the rest of pay cable and spread out over a year's time, instead of disappearing for a year.  They basically got two "seasons" for one.  Plus it's extra episodes to hopefully get more from the books while adding in the unique stuff they seem to want to do.

Edited by Glaze Crazy

Well, I know a good number of non-book viewers said they weren't coming back for the second season, but I've noticed in the past few days, a good number are saying they will be back and that doesn't include those that post in that thread, who like the show, who haven't said either way.

I've only read through book 5 but I can say that up to that point, there has not been anything like the brutality of Wentworth.  The 1740's were a violent era and there is violence from time to time, but nothing like what was done to Jamie and my overall perception (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is the violence is not as frequent as it is in Outlander either.

• Love 2

I've only read through book 5 but I can say that up to that point, there has not been anything like the brutality of Wentworth.  The 1740's were a violent era and there is violence from time to time, but nothing like what was done to Jamie and my overall perception (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is the violence is not as frequent as it is in Outlander either.

Responding in book v. show thread.

I think our perspective is very limited on the internet and via anecdotes.

I think that is something to always consider when looking at ratings and the numbers. Most TV watchers do not participate in online discussion about a show and even some do not read the online media for it.

• Love 1
(edited)

That's good to know but as long as Tobias Menzies and his Black Jack character remain on the show....I don't think I can handle to watch without tearing my hair out. I don't have to like everything about a show to stick with it but that character has literally given me nightmares. I cannot stand the sight of his face. If he was just a minor character who pops up once in a blue moon....but he is the main character besides Claire and Jamie and on all the time. No.

It took me the whole last weekend to vent and work through my shock and negative feelings from the last two episodes. And that poisoned all the positive feelings I had about some of the other episodes. No more.

Edited by magdalene
(edited)

I really wish Starz would create a streaming app like HBO Now, which is $15 per month, no cable required. I emailed and asked them if they are considering it, and they said not at the moment. I haven't had cable for years, but I paid for two months of cable plus Starz just to watch the last eight episodes of Outlander (I waited and bought the first half of the season at Amazon). I am embarrassed to admit that with all the subscription and activation fees, DVR, etc, I paid over $200 just to watch this show. As much as I love it, I don't plan to do that again for season two. I would be more than happy to directly pay Starz a monthly fee to watch their shows in real time.

If anyone else is interested in a streaming app, you can email them here. They responded to me within a day. If enough people show interest, maybe they will consider it before next year.

It took me the whole last weekend to vent and work through my shock and negative feelings from the last two episodes. And that poisoned all the positive feelings I had about some of the other episodes. No more.

Magdalene, I had a similar reaction to you when I read Outlander. I had never read anything like those Wentworth scenes and felt severely traumatized by it. Even though I had already purchased the second book, it took me a while to be able to pick it up. The main reason I did was to make sure Jamie was okay, to see how he dealt with it. I am glad I continued on with it. It's not always smooth sailing by any means, but I am now on book 4 and so many interesting things have happened that I have greatly enjoyed, and would have missed out on had I stopped at the end of book 1. I'm not sure how the show will handle everything going forward (sometimes it seems to have different priorities than the books), but I doubt we'll see anything close to Wentworth. 

Edited by Starla
  • Love 3

Starla done.  I had the same reaction as you did when I read the book.  I was pissed, frightened and disgusted.  I had never read anything like that and the idea that this would happen to a protagonist character that I had grown to care about caused a visceral emotional response.  After some distance, I appreciated the powerful story-telling that caused such a strong response.  But it took time.  Then I became invested in seeing Jamie recover so I continued on with DIA.  

Viewing it brought a lot of that stuff back up again and made me very grateful that they didn't show it live, but rather once removed, after the fact.

• Love 3

Here is the thread for asking book readers about the books and spoilers. I'll echo Starla and chocolatetruffle that I found Outlander's ending difficult and it took me awhile to read the next book as well.

I do think that this first season had a couple of misfires with the scheduling, but the ending has intrigued a couple of non book readers enough to continue and read the books. Of course, a new show will always lose viewers whether they have read the books or not. The show isn't for everyone, but I have a feeling this show will do well next season. They'll have a normal sized Starz season and it won't be split. 

• Love 1

If anyone else is interested in a streaming app, you can email them here. They responded to me within a day. If enough people show interest, maybe they will consider it before next year.

I sent them a message on their Facebook page last week about wanting an app because we're cutting the cord and dropping cable. I got a non-answer answer: "please stay tuned to this page for any updates."

• Love 1

I really wish Starz would create a streaming app like HBO Now, which is $15 per month, no cable required. I emailed and asked them if they are considering it, and they said not at the moment. I haven't had cable for years, but I paid for two months of cable plus Starz just to watch the last eight episodes of Outlander (I waited and bought the first half of the season at Amazon). I am embarrassed to admit that with all the subscription and activation fees, DVR, etc, I paid over $200 just to watch this show. As much as I love it, I don't plan to do that again for season two. I would be more than happy to directly pay Starz a monthly fee to watch their shows in real time.

Here's the response I got, in case anyone is interested in options other than cable:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Right now there are no streaming only options for Starz. It is only available through participating cable and satellite television providers.

We also release our original programming on iTunes, Amazon Instant Video, DVD, and Blu-ray after we air the full season. You can also watch select full episodes of Starz originals for free at www.starz.com/freefullepisodes or by downloading our STARZ Play mobile app for Apple, Android, and other devices at www.starz.com/starzplay.

• Love 1
(edited)

The first half of the season wasn't released online until February, so that's a six month wait to get it from Amazon or iTunes. That is excruciating, especially if you like to discuss it with others, read articles, twitter, listen to podcasts, etc. The first half of the season still doesn't show up on iTunes for me, though a friend of mine in another state was able to purchase it. I'm not sure why I can't get it on iTunes.

I'm still holding out hope they'll reconsider the streaming app by next year. I don't understand why any network would not release a paid app. They can receive the money directly,  rather than getting a percentage from a cable company. Heck, I pay CBS $5.99 per month just to watch Survivor on the Roku, and would happy to pay more than that for Outlander.

Edited to add: I just came across this article, now Showtime is releasing a streaming app for $10.99 per month. Surely Starz will be next. :-)

Edited by Starla
  • Love 1

Saw this on twitter:

Robert Fruin ‏@RobertFruin18 5m5 minutes ago

#Outlander is no longer STARZ's highest rated show. #Power "Consequences" set a series high rating of 0.6 &1.46m and a possible STARZ record

In this article, they don't seem as eager about it? But hopefully fan feedback is cluing them in. I just can't imagine not wanting a direct revenue stream! 

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13172856/1/starz-is-finally-shining-as-the-pay-tv-network-gathers-hits.html

Also, unlike what's the case for HBO and Showtime, Starz content is unlikely to leave the traditional cable bundle for an over-the-top streaming option. "We've come out and said that we're going take our time for Starz," Albrecht said. "HBO is going through Apple and other portals to get to viewers in other ways. Showtime has announced they're going to do it. We like the business we have."

Albrecht doesn't seem that concerned about reaching out to younger, tech-savvy viewers who increasingly access video content online.

"The question of whether new customers are millennials isn't really the case for us," he said. "Adults are the long-running customers of premium television. We've been in an à la carte world and need to sell our product separately. I think we're in a pretty good position."

Yes, please sell the product separately! I'm GenX and tech-savvy and getting rid of cable!

• Love 2

Thanks for posting that, AheadofStraight. That's a bummer. They're a bit clueless if they think "millennials" are the only people who stream content. Even my dad, who was born in 1948 and has never had cable a day in his life, only watches TV via the internet. I'll still continue to think happy thoughts and hope they come around by next year. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Thanks for posting that, AheadofStraight. That's a bummer. They're a bit clueless if they think "millennials" are the only people who stream content. Even my dad, who was born in 1948 and has never had cable a day in his life, only watches TV via the internet. I'll still continue to think happy thoughts and hope they come around by next year. 

Someone tell Albrecht that it's 2015 and there are millions of thirtysomething millennials now. And yes, it's not only "younger" people who have figured out TV on the internet.

I think Starz has dreams of having a reach like HBO's and thinks the only way to make that happen is to build its cable/satellite subscriber base, even as the viewing landscape dramatically shifts. If everyone streams Starz instead, I guess the fear is that the channel won't be in "X millions of houses" the way some other premium channels are, and the big money may still be in that, for the time being.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1
(edited)

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/starz-q2-earnings-profit-1201552167/

There is a mention of Outlander in the article.

Starzs'  has a drop in profit although their revenue increased.  

Guess they are spending more than they make.

This could be due to their expansion efforts. Or maybe, it is due to the lavish French scenery in Outlander's Season 2.  lol

I also read that Starz has reached a deal with AT&T Uverse for broadcast.

All good news.

Edited by cypfan
  • Love 1

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/starz-q2-earnings-profit-1201552167/

There is a mention of Outlander in the article.

Starzs'  has a drop in profit although their revenue increased.  

Guess they are spending more than they make.

This could be due to their expansion efforts. Or maybe, it is due to the lavish French scenery in Outlander's Season 2.  lol

They still have a profit so they are not spending more than they make. The problem with net income is that it doesn't really mean much. There can be a ton of expense that doesn't drain cash in the income statement. Depreciation and amortization for example. Cash flow from operations is much more important. I don't want to get into an accounting lesson but I wouldn't look too much into net income or profit. If I could see the financial statements I could likely say where the expense is coming from. Maybe if I have time I'll look for them tomorrow.

They still have a profit so they are not spending more than they make. The problem with net income is that it doesn't really mean much. There can be a ton of expense that doesn't drain cash in the income statement. Depreciation and amortization for example. Cash flow from operations is much more important. I don't want to get into an accounting lesson but I wouldn't look too much into net income or profit. If I could see the financial statements I could likely say where the expense is coming from. Maybe if I have time I'll look for them tomorrow.

I believe they're making a year-over-year comparison, so they spent more than they did during 2nd quarter last year, but they also made more money (from subscribers) than they did 2nd quarter last year - so it's all good.  If they are comparing 2nd quarter earnings to 1st quarter earnings it's the same principle and it's still good news.  Their profit margin may be lower, but they still made money.

• Love 1
(edited)

I believe they're making a year-over-year comparison, so they spent more than they did during 2nd quarter last year, but they also made more money (from subscribers) than they did 2nd quarter last year - so it's all good.  If they are comparing 2nd quarter earnings to 1st quarter earnings it's the same principle and it's still good news.  Their profit margin may be lower, but they still made money.

Exactly. I'm a CPA and have audited my share of financial statements and have a good grasp of GAAP. I just find that most people near die of boredom if I try to explain it.

Edited by bearcatfan
  • Love 4

I just read an article on the Yahoo page that said March, but of course now I can't find it.  I think if EW says April they are probably correct.  It's going to be a looooooong winter.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

Starz confirmed today at today’s TCA presentation that season 5 will premiere in “early 2020.”

As STARZ will air the final five episodes of Power during January, this probably means February at the earliest.

4E8E54E2-B699-4C50-BEFA-2C7400BF39B8.gif

• LOL 1

I quoted what STARZ said, not what the entertainment media said,

FWIW, I doubt the CEO of STARZ would have said “early” to mean April. One article I saw made note that the gap between seasons premiering has been 14 to 17 months, and applying that range would point to February-March. These recent seasons were 13 episodes and season 5 and 6 are for 12 episodes, so that’s more reason to think “early” is February-March.

1 hour ago, theschnauzers said:

I quoted what STARZ said, not what the entertainment media said,

FWIW, I doubt the CEO of STARZ would have said “early” to mean April. One article I saw made note that the gap between seasons premiering has been 14 to 17 months, and applying that range would point to February-March. These recent seasons were 13 episodes and season 5 and 6 are for 12 episodes, so that’s more reason to think “early” is February-March.

Still...

8073F9A4-B8C1-4852-821F-5BB1F483691D.gif

Because I was getting psyched for September when this would premiere!!!!😭😭😭🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

• Love 1