Type keyword(s) to search

Scheduling & Ratings: Countdown to the Return of Jamie

Athena
  • Start Topic

What is the deal with the UK not picking this up? I find it hard to believe that it's because the redcoats aren't shown in the most favorable light. Maybe they want the full season all at once? If the production team is still doing post-production work, everyone who has seen episodes has to endure at least some kind of hiatus.

ETA:

I get the impression that a lot of programming imported to predominantly non-English speaking countries is dubbed (basing this on a handful of observations). It's a shame to lose the overall sound of their voices, even if the language is unintelligible. The inflection and tone just aren't going to be the same with different voice actors, and you can at least hear the intention while reading subtitles. In this case... well, I'm especially partial, so it seems tragic for anyone not to hear the Highlanders.

Edited by justmehere

What is the deal with the UK not picking this up?

I don't read too much into it, honestly. I spent four months in the UK last winter and every single "new" episode of American TV shows were at least six months behind the U.S. airing. They'll get around to it probably about the time season 1B starts for us.

I don't read too much into it, honestly. I spent four months in the UK last winter and every single "new" episode of American TV shows were at least six months behind the U.S. airing. They'll get around to it probably about the time season 1B starts for us.

This.

Annoyingly, we are frequently a long way behind in getting US shows and some shows such as Breaking Bad, have never aired on national tv here. Another example is Once Upon A Time which aired for a short time and was then dropped by Channel5. That's all there is to it.

#debunkingconspiracytheoriessince1743 ;)

• Love 2

On the subject of dubbing, I always got the impression that if you were in Norway for example and got Outlander via a satellite service (ex. SKY), it would not be dubbed. But it would be if it were shown on a regular channel it would be? Like others above I would think the viewer is really missing it if they aren't getting the full experience in voices.

• Love 2

On the subject of dubbing, I always got the impression that if you were in Norway for example and got Outlander via a satellite service (ex. SKY), it would not be dubbed. But it would be if it were shown on a regular channel it would be? Like others above I would think the viewer is really missing it if they aren't getting the full experience in voices.

I can debunk this for Norway. It's only imported shows for kids that get dubbed, other foreign shows are subtitled (some non-fiction will get Norwegian narration but we do not dub over voices*). I am pretty sure the same goes for Sweden, Denmark and Finland.     

As for the Outlander scheduling, we get it on a streaming service similar to Netflix where some shows are updated with new episodes the day after they've been shown in the US. I was a bit late to this information (I got the episodes through other 'channels') but I did get to enjoy new episodes with subtitles after breakfast on two Sundays.

* A bit OT but the only exception (I can think of) is a Czech movie from 1973 about Cinderella that is shown every Christmas with one guy dubbing all the voices. Christmas traditions!   

Edited by Silje
  • Love 3

I think that's standard in Asia as well. I know all of the HBO shows are subtitled. I'm not sure if Outlander is airing over here. I was fortunate to still have a credit card with a Canadian billing address so I bought it off iTunes.

I think Canada might be the only country where purchasing the show on iTunes is a possibility. I guess it has something to do with the rights.

This is also why it drives me crazy when English speakers claim they don't watch foreign films because it's too hard to read subtitles. The rest of the world seems to manage just fine.

Am I the only on who is also counting down to the return of Claire? She's my girl!

ETA: Forgot to mention earlier, but I think this show would do really well in North East Asia. Historical epics are extremely popular.

Edited by ohhellsyeah
  • Love 3

Am I the only on who is also counting down to the return of Claire? She's my girl!

Nope. I LOVE Claire, I can't wait for her word-vomity, alcoholic self to be back on my screen.

• Love 3

My initial comment was related to some video clips I've seen of U.S. shows dubbed in Spanish -- don't know specifically for what country or countries -- and I vaguely remember some in other languages, but maybe it's all old news. If most countries use subtitles, that's fantastic.

Germany dubbs everything and it sucks . You will be hearing the same voices over and over again and for whatever reason children have always very high childish voices (yes that sounded weird) . They make a 13 year old sound the same as an 8 year old .

Thanks Silje for clarification. I have a lot of Norwegian friends with impeccable "American" accents, they claimed they learned a lot from "Friends" :)

When I lived in France 15 years ago, everything was dubbed. Maybe since Germany dubs they may too and add in the pride of language stuff for good measure!

Edited by Spicey477

My cable system has posted a message that Starz and Encore will have a free preview period beginning November 26 through December 8 (that's 13 days, which is a long period for a free preview period,) Usually this includes the Starz On Demand access as well.

If you use a cable provider in the U.S., you may want to check with them to see if this free preview period will be available on your system. This may give those of you having budget constraints a chance to catch the first half season of Outlander.

Edited by theschnauzers
  • Love 1

Sam is briefly interviewed in this "vimeo" and he mentions that they'll begin filming for Season 2 of Outlander in February. Knowing that and based on Season 1's timeframe, I wonder if we can figure out -- generally -- when it might be aired.

• Love 1

I guess it all depends on how many episodes they get. If they get 16 again maybe October/November at the earliest with a split season. If it is only the guaranteed 13 probably not until 2016, March or April. However I know nothing!

On a shallow not he looks not as good as usual? Tired or something? I wish they would let him cut his hair...

Equally shallow here.  I noticed the tan line on his face from wearing that trucker hat at the beach an thought "Oh, no hair and make-up team assigned to you for this public appearance.?"  But that just endeared him to me.   I actually prefer Sam with long hair though I'm probably mentally confusing him with Jamie.  I'm very grateful he's keeping it long and ginger for the show but I do think he prefers it short and struggles a bit with "owning" that look in his real life.

Well Starz is either smart or lucky. My OnDemand (I have Charter) had been saying that all the Outlander episodes would be gone after 10/31, at which point, I'd decided, I would cancel my subscription until the show came back. I mean, there's nothing else on Starz that I like except occasionally movies, so if I couldn't even rewatch the Outlander episodes, what's the point? Anyway, I checked today to be sure before I called, and now they're listed as available until Jan 24th. Heh. So I guess I'll hang onto it awhile longer.

Speaking of the countdown to the return of Jamie, has everyone seen the teases on Twitter for some kind of new footage to be released every month on the 4th until the show comes back? Sounds fun...too bad it's not every week.

I thini the On Demand Services have to show an expiration date, even if a show or episodes aren't being removed.

Since Starz has a preview period at the end of the month into early December, it would make no sense not to have Outlander available for the preview period.

From what I can tell, the teasers are to be put out on the 4th of every month leading up to April 4th. So the first one should be on Tuesday.

The official Twitter has been teasing something for tomorrow, but I think the first one may have been in October when they released the alternative opening.  My guess is we'll get deleted scenes/moments from episodes that have already aired.  I don't think we'll get anything for new episodes until February/March.  But remember I'm always wrong about everything, so my speculation's bunk.

So according to Anne Kenney in her interview for The Scot and the Sassenach podcast, they probably won't start production on season 2 until April. That feels like a very long time from now. I miss all the cute behind the scenes pictures everyone would post during production.

• Love 1

It also makes me feel pretty confident we won't see season 2 until 2016, or very very late 2015 at the earliest.  Even if they break it in half again the production and post production times are long.  I can't find when exactly season 1 started filming but I believe it was sometime in late 2013 (Caitriona wasn't cast until September), so it took quite awhile to get it ready to air.  But she also said the writers are already working and hope to get every episode written (or at least broken) before production starts, so it's probably nice for them. Probably gives them breathing room to get everything polished. 

Cait was cast about a week before principal filming began in mid-September 2013.

There's a couple of things to keep in mind about the scheduling for season 2. One, production will be able to gear up faster and plan out filming of episodes on a shorter turn-around now that the crew has that first season under their belts (or kilts, if you prefer!) The writer's room is already breaking down book 2 (DiA) so I expect they'll have everything ready for filming when it resumes this winter. Second, just as with season one, a break of season two into two halves will mean Ron and company will only need to have the first half-season of book 2 in the can so it can be aired, and that would suggest to me late 2015.

The other thing is that the cast and crew may not have to invest as much time in promoting the show ahead of season two as they had to do for season one....which took time away from filming season one over that period of slighly over a full year.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Starz pulled out of a couple of major projects they didn't believe were working out. That would also point to having the first half of season 2 during the late part of 2015,

• Love 3

This is great.  I'm totally playing this on my big screen TV on Christmas Day. 

But you know what would have made it better?  If it had been a real fire and if a certain tall, red-headed scot had strolled unexpectedly into frame to put a new log on the fire, that would have been AWESOME.

• Love 2

This is great.  I'm totally playing this on my big screen TV on Christmas Day. 

But you know what would have made it better?  If it had been a real fire and if a certain tall, red-headed scot had strolled unexpectedly into frame to put a new log on the fire, that would have been AWESOME.

And period appropriate dogs- Scottish Deerhounds.

• Love 1

In an interview, Sam said season two filming starts in May. Since next season is only 13 episodes, I don't really envision the season getting the split treatment. So perhaps this is an early 2016 premiere?

I'm pretty sure Starz will be looking at splitting season two just as they did season one, so a season 2A may still be possible for late 2016. Otherwise the wait for season two is going to be even more painful than this wait for season1B. May is three or four months later than they had originally planned, so the process of planning filming is taking longer, they have major roles to cast that start appearing in season 2, and I think they're trying to come up with ways to film a book per year. I'm not sure all of us could live long enough if it were two years between books on air.

I know it was already announced that S2 would be 13 episodes, but I can see Starz going the same route as S1, upping the purchase order to 16 episodes split into two blocks of 8 each and keeping it that way for each book.  Each book gets bigger and more complex anyway.  They can virtually get twice the gain by spreading each book/season out over two ratings sweeps each a year.  Plus it will be less likely they will catch up with Diana's schedule of finishing the series, like "Game of Thrones" is doing, crowding up to GRRM's writing desk..

It appears that StarzPlay is posting episodes Saturday mornings. I don't know when they post, but I know they posted early last week, and this week as of 7:30, at least, episode 110 is available. 

• Love 1

Does anyone know if the eps show up early for people with season passes on, like, amazon or iTunes?  I don't have cable of any kind so I can't subscribe to Starz (maybe they'll follow HBO and allow people to pay for the streaming without a cable subscription eventually) but I'd buy I season pass if it meant I could watch it early.  I'm impatient like that.

ETA: Nevermind, I just realized you can't actually buy season passes for the currently airing episodes, just the first 8.  *sigh*  I guess I'll have to wait like most people.

Edited by CatMack
  • Love 1

DirectTV Starz On Demand also has ep 10 available now. I don't know if it's the same as Starz Play, which I think is just an app for your phone or tablet vs. through the satellite receiver. So many ways to receive entertainment. I get confused sometimes. LOL.  I hope HBO's new stand alone business model becomes an industry thing and others follow.  That or offer episodes a la carte through itunes or amazon on the day of airing instead of making viewers wait until the end of the season.

Came across some unfortunate news. TV Line has a calendar of May finales that shows Outlander on May 30. With only 4 episodes left, I thought the 23rd would be the last. Apparently not.

Matt Webb Mitovich says:
April 29, 2015 at 8:06 AM

OUTLANDER date is confirmed; they’re skipping Memorial Day weekend.

Which makes it look like we'll get

Wentworth Prison

(not sure if episode titles are spoilers) then have to skip a week to wait for the finale

To Ransom a Man's Soul

. Sigh.

Here's the article link with the calendar: http://tvline.com/2015/04/28/season-finales-2015-may-tv-premieres-schedule-air-dates/

And the calendar: https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/maycalendar2015r2.jpg