Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Kanalu Hope Loa (The Last Break)

• Start Topic

Original Airdate: October 10, 2014

Five-0 investigates when three female thieves unknowingly steal something during a tour bus robbery that makes them a serious target. Meanwhile, Danny searches for his brother's hidden millions in order to exchange it for his life.

It seemed to be a disjointed episode. Like it was a place holder during the MLB playoffs. It seemed excessively violent from Steve's going full auto to the white collar bandit going to extreme 

I liked that this wasn't a traditional 5-0 episode of uber-smart criminals whom 5-0 foils mostly by accident. However, a couple of things jumped out at me.

First, the patronizing way 5-0 talked to the new ME. She didn't get her doctorate shining shoes! The team seems very pleased to find that she is compotent. They should expect no less!

Second, did McGarrett and Grover actually have a bet as to whether or not they could get Kono to wear an embarrassingly small bikini? Like they actually have a stash of clothing that they keep in case the opportunity to sexually harass Kono comes up?

Speaking of Kono, that monologue she gave at the end about surfing was odd. I did enjoy her interrogation method though.

Danny has this cunning plan to dig up several million dollars by himself? Can't see how that could go wrong.

I see now that Grover is a part of 5-0 he's learned to do things the shortcut way, like letting suspects escape because we can't wait for backup. Did he not bitch at them about forgetting to cover the back?

5-0 shot the shit out of the suspect car but no one in Hawaii bothered to report a speeding car that was liberally laced with bullet holes? They could have had the one surfer gal maintain her code of silence and just added a line about a concerned citizen seeing the car and a uni following it.

I am not sure what the laws are for Hawaii but I think Jerry's audio bug is only capable of producing inadmissable evidence. I have to say though, for what should be a really silly plot it's working out well. The scene between Jerry and Kamekona was great.

• Love 1

Danny has this cunning plan to dig up several million dollars by himself? Can't see how that could go wrong.

LOL!

I was totally surprised that he wasn't hit on the head or shot just after digging up all the money.

• Love 2

It seemed to be a disjointed episode. Like it was a place holder during the MLB playoffs. It seemed excessively violent from Steve's going full auto to the white collar bandit going to extreme

Oddly enough, production-wise this was numbered/apparently filmed as Ep 501--the 1st ep shot this season--but aired as Ep 503. I saw the Ep# on a pic of the script cover which was on Twitter recently, & the iTunes Ep #s are already out of order for the season, if you download the eps there & pay attention to the Ep (order of broadcast) & Production (order of filming) #s as they give them in their info on the ep. If I remember correctly, iTunes says the eps that have aired so far are:

1. Ep 501 (Broadcast #)/Ep 503 (Production/Filming #)

2. Ep 502 (Broadcast AND Production/Filming #s)

3. Ep 503 (Broadcast #)/Ep 501 (Production/Filming #)

Plus if you noticed, the ep was fairly light on scenes involving Scott/Danny which actually tied to plotlines in this season/this week's ep & didn't involve flashbacks either from Loa Aloha (Ep 118/the Matt ep) or from the scene that aired within the last couple weeks where Reyes said Danny had until Monday to give him the $18.5 Million for Matt's life or Matt was dead, & Danny's reaction was to beat up on Reyes in that parking lot.

They started filming this season in Hawaii on July 8th; Scott was still on the Mainland then waiting for the birth of his daughter Josie, which happened the next day (the 9th), & he wasn't back on set in Hawaii after that until something like the 21st or 22nd of July if I remember correctly. So that explains why the ep was light on Scott scenes with all-new material in them & gives creedence to the fact this ep was aired outta filming order.

It's ridiculous to think Kono or anyone on the team can go undercover considering how high profile they are.  Thankfully the show didn't dwell on that too much.

I enjoyed this episode although I don't know how that car could have gotten away riddled with all those bullets.

I mean, this show. They unloaded half a battalion's worth of bullets into the car. No one hit the tires? Wasn't Steve standing *in front* of the car to start with and then rolled out of the way? He couldn't shoot the tires out, ten feet away? 

I don't get the whole scene to make Kono wear a tiny bikini besides how massively inappropriate it was. The one that she chose for herself was just as small! She doesn't like red? What an awful job questioning the women out in the water. Hey I'm making friendly conversation, what's up with that bruise?

• Love 1

I adore Danny; actually more than Steve. Will be interesting to see where his story arc goes, although I was totally surprised he didn't get hit in the head by a shovel after he reveled the stash.

I think McGarret was using the auto weapons, et. al. because someone's thumbprint was a big enough tech deal that they freaked not knowing what they were dealing with.

I thought the red bikini was cute, not really harassing.  But the voice over?  WTH?  It was like narration for a movie about surfers called Endless Summer (and wow, gut shot girl sure healed up quick?!)  I think it was supposed to be character insight that that's who she had been - maybe?  Before she found her higher calling? She's grown a lot in the role anyway.

The not wife thing was a fab twist to me.  But nowhere near as cool as the heart to heart with Jerry and Ice Cream Truck guy and the book delivery with the smiling $400.  Adorkable!  Soooo glad Steve takes Jerry with a modicum of seriousness.

Dumb question here. Why didn't they shoot the tires out? Too easy I guess. Otherwise, they would've needed to fill another 15 minutes of the show. I thought the Kono voiceovet was a nice touch & basically saying that these girls life were screwed big time. Sometimes, they never mention the aftermath of crime. Finally, I was getting completely freaked out with Danno & the shovel. First, I thought he was gonna get shot or knocked out. Then when he was digging and it was all dark behind him I got even more scared. Usually, this show doesn't scare me. Very tense. All in all, good show. Oh! And, Kono looked hit in the bikini and just after having a kid. HOT!!

I do have to say that the scene where the redhead criminal/fake wife was holding the other girl hostage was funny. Steve and Lou were like, "eh, she gonna die anyway. We'll be outside." 

Chi McBride deserves a better show. He was so much better on Human Target.

It was really odd for Kono to disgustingly reject the bikini, only to show up wearing the Exact Same Suit, just in a different color.  But, yeah, her "blending in" skills need a hella lot of work.

McGarrett's speech to the fake wife was awesome.  "Eh, she's dead anyway.  So we'll be out front till she croaks because you won't run away (again)."  And Grover is "I'm good with that!"  I was LOLing.

Dumb question here. Why didn't they shoot the tires out? Too easy I guess. Otherwise, they would've needed to fill another 15 minutes of the show. I thought the Kono voiceovet was a nice touch & basically saying that these girls life were screwed big time.

The thing with the car was stupid. I mean you have some dumb criminals trying to get away in a Kia with a million bullet holes in it. Are you telling me that Super Seal Steve McGarret with his high speed driving training couldn't have ran to his car, which would have been faster than a Kia, gotten in and chased them down? At the very least he could have tried, or called the description to HPD. I mean they were in a residential neighborhood, how many places would there have been for them to go?

Speaking of Kono, that monologue she gave at the end about surfing was odd.

It definitely was a "remember Point Break" moment, and I had the exact same reaction I did to that movie--HATED it.  I don't care how much of a thrill it is to surf, it's no justification for terrorizing and violating others to maintain your endless summer.  Kono seemed almost sympathetic.  I wanted to slap her.

After the fake wife says she'll shoot the girl, I said out loud, "Do it.  I don't care."  Loved it when 50 said the same thing.

I also told McGarret to shoot the tires, but he never listens to me.  :-)