Type keyword(s) to search

Married At First Sight: The First Year

• Start Topic

On 4/28/2016 at 0:07 PM, Vinyasa said:

Oh I'm sure the jewelry store provided the ring in exchange for advertising. When he "proposes" the camera will zoom to the ring box with the store name. Just like on The Bachelor.

Jason isn't paying for the Hawaii trip either. It will be an informercial with comps by airlines, hotels and restaurants.

I just wonder how much they all are getting paid for being in this season.

Well if he bought it from the place they were in they got advertising from this episode. He was standing where the name of the place was right behind him on the wall. Same with the place they meet his sister at for lunch/dinner. They sure flashed the name of that restaurant at the end of the scenes from it. I can imagine its part of the deal though for using their places for filming in them too. 

I agree about the not taking the subway if you are due any time now and that being a lame excuse for some stuff. Yet there are many women that will try to have their babies in certain places (Disneyland is one that comes to mind) thinking it will get them something out of it when that is not the case at all. Of course there are those that will gladly do what they can to avoid the places so they can make sure they are close to home and their hospital in time. I will say that I can understand why she would want to live back in her home city/state to raise kids. I have seen the city I am in change in the 17 yrs I have lived here now and its not for the better either. My husband and I were talking about it too and how we wouldn't mind more of a small town feel but within our state still. Even the city I grew up in is insane now with what has been done there and built in some parts of the city. So I get it wanting some space and yard for kids...as well as thinking of cost. The cost of what they could get in NY compared to NC (that is the right place for her, yes?) for the size of a place they would want. Yet at the same time what they could do is buy a place in NY live there a few years or so and move to a place in NC and rent the one in NY out. That would be the smart thing to do IF they were to agree on moving out of the state at some point. I think that is what they will need to do over the next few years. Figure out how they want to do it all and if they can agree on where they want to live in the future to raise a family. They obviously have to just get on the same page about it and both be happy with the end results or someone will end up not liking the other over it all. 

(edited)
On 4/28/2016 at 2:21 PM, CPA Carol said:

This show has totally lost its footing. The ring drama was fake and sure Jason will let FYI pick up the tab for a ring and trip to Hawaii. This is FYI money paying for it, it's not from his mom. And then their troubled marriage will miraculously be perfect because she got a ring and a trip? Does anyone think Jason will ever leave FDNY? Is it fair for Cortney to even ask? That seems really selfish. I think Jason is a good guy and should not give up his dream job. And even Dr Pepper sees a exasperated.

The pre baby bucket list is stupid and Doug wants OUT. Jamie is exhausting and demanding and that will get worse with babies. I believe Doug will be the one to leave. And that little container of crap that was allegedly at her exs? Please it's insulting to the viewers they have left. 

I think the show is done. Neither of these men are happy and they both need to get out

No marriage is "happy" all the time, and these two couples' marriages are no different except for the "married to a stranger" component and the media exposure that has accompanied it.   Agreed, though, that Jamie's personality is exhausting, and Doug does, at times, look worn out and worn down because of it. Even so, I like them together and could see these two growing and maturing as time goes on, something that is both possible and necessary in any marriage. 

Cortney comes off as spoiled and unwilling to accept correction, even when the criticism seems justified.  To be fair, though, I would bet there is more to Jason than we're seeing. Sometimes when he's angry or saying something less than complimentary to Cortney, his eyes and expression look a little bit menacing. Anyone else notice this?

Edited by StayingAfterSunday

I can understand why Courtney would like to move back to NC with Jason to live and raise any children they may have there. But I think her claim their money will go further in terms of cost of living presumes both she and Jason will be making the same salaries in NC as they are in NY. I looked at NYC firefighter salaries here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/community/ff_salary_benefits_080106.shtml

And firefighter salaries in Charlotte, NC here: http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-Firefighter-l-Charlotte,-NC.html

It appears the salary for firefighters in Charlotte is considerably lower in NC than NY. And one would have to think if Courtney continues to work, her job opportunities as a makeup artist for film are going to be fewer (of course, she can always do wedding makeup and such, but I doubt that pays as much).

The point is, while the cost of living in Charlotte may be lower, so will their salaries. Yes, the environment in which they raise their children will be different (I'm not going to say "better," because I'm sure some pretty successful, well educated and well balanced people have been raised in both places), but that's more of a personal preference. I just don't think, looking at the numbers, the cost of living argument is a slam-dunk the way Courtney thinks it is.

• Love 2
On 5/1/2016 at 7:12 PM, StayingAfterSunday said:

No marriage is "happy" all the time, and these two couples' marriages are no different except for the "married to a stranger" component and the media exposure that has accompanied it.   Agreed, though, that Jamie's personality is exhausting, and Doug does, at times, look worn out and worn down because of it. Even so, I like them together and could see these two growing and maturing as time goes on, something that is both possible and necessary in any marriage. 

Cortney comes off as spoiled and unwilling to accept correction, even when the criticism seems justified.  To be fair, though, I would bet there is more to Jason than we're seeing. Sometimes when he's angry or saying something less than complimentary to Cortney, his eyes and expression look a little bit menacing. Anyone else notice this?

On 5/1/2016 at 7:12 PM, StayingAfterSunday said:

Agree that no marriage is happy all the time. Its just not possible for that. I do think Jamie has worn Doug down so much over everything. One minute its that she can't trust him over the stupidest little thing and the next minute its back to pushing for a baby with him. Doug seems like a decent guy. Yet its to the point that he can do nothing right in Jamie's eyes. Yet I question what she is doing all day at this point. She doesn't seem to be a nurse anymore so why isn't she doing the things she is nagging Doug to do and be on time about when she has the time for it.

Yes about Jason. I have wondered if he has a temper like no other we aren't seeing. Sure she has her own and is stubborn as hell on things but the little digs about things and how he gets about some things I have wondered about him. I sometimes get the feeling that he feels he is better than her because he is a fire fighter and not just any fire fighter but a NY one. 

4 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

I can understand why Courtney would like to move back to NC with Jason to live and raise any children they may have there. But I think her claim their money will go further in terms of cost of living presumes both she and Jason will be making the same salaries in NC as they are in NY. I looked at NYC firefighter salaries here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/community/ff_salary_benefits_080106.shtml

And firefighter salaries in Charlotte, NC here: http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-Firefighter-l-Charlotte,-NC.html

It appears the salary for firefighters in Charlotte is considerably lower in NC than NY. And one would have to think if Courtney continues to work, her job opportunities as a makeup artist for film are going to be fewer (of course, she can always do wedding makeup and such, but I doubt that pays as much).

The point is, while the cost of living in Charlotte may be lower, so will their salaries. Yes, the environment in which they raise their children will be different (I'm not going to say "better," because I'm sure some pretty successful, well educated and well balanced people have been raised in both places), but that's more of a personal preference. I just don't think, looking at the numbers, the cost of living argument is a slam-dunk the way Courtney thinks it is.

Agree with this as well. Which she make get that but its never discussed or at least shown. Most of us I would think know that if the cost of living in an area is cheaper than where one lives that you should understand the income is not as much also. Especially when switching from different states. It can either go up or it can go way down. Just the face that min. wage is not the same across the country shows that. Yet I think she is looking not only at that but what you can get in the size of a house in NC compared to NY for the same size or the same price. I do agree that raising kids in one place or the other doesn't make it better but different. You have to look at what is around you to offer your family. How the area is, the schools and so on.  I think with Cortney she really misses her family and being around them which is a great deal of why she rather live there. A place like NY is not for everyone but as you said if she wants to do make up and have a decent income from it than a place like NY would have more chances for it to work out. So in the end there are many things they have to weigh in on the choice of where they will live. Its all just another part of being married. LOL 

What cortney wants, cortney thinks she deserves. I think every quibble Jason has about her is probably very accurate. Like I've said on another thread she is very defensive and aggressive on her social media if someone disagrees with her or has a different opinion. She also has minions that are her attack dogs as well. I think there's a reason she doesn't get many makeup artist gigs besides her being amateurish. (Wow, the formatting is off here) and competitiveness of the environment. I don't think she's very professional 

Let's see how she likes living in Charlotte on $40,000 a year. She won't be getting a makeup artist job except at a Sephora. 

• Love 1

I think Courtney is banking on this show going on for another couple of seasons at least.  They are probably getting 200-250K (and some reports even say 400K) per season.  That money will go a lot further in Charlotte then NYC.  Heck, they probably could buy a house outright, with no mortgage.

I think Courtney is going to use her "fame" to launch a business.  Reality show D listers are probably more rare in Charlotte then NYC (this is just a guess).

(edited)
On 5/2/2016 at 4:12 PM, Kiss my mutt said:

What cortney wants, cortney thinks she deserves. I think every quibble Jason has about her is probably very accurate. Like I've said on another thread she is very defensive and aggressive on her social media if someone disagrees with her or has a different opinion. She also has minions that are her attack dogs as well. I think there's a reason she doesn't get many makeup artist gigs besides her being amateurish. (Wow, the formatting is off here) and competitiveness of the environment. I don't think she's very professional 

Let's see how she likes living in Charlotte on $40,000 a year. She won't be getting a makeup artist job except at a Sephora. 

Yes, it's obvious she can get very defensive at times.  I wonder what type of personality Jason's mother had? Obviously, she was an artist. Cortney is a makeup artist and, while I'm not saying Jason's mother's artistry and Cortney's are of the same genre, they may have similar personality traits. Perhaps Jason is accustomed to certain aspects of that type of personality. Here is Myers-Briggs Personality traits for the Creative personality (a/k/a "The Artist"): It lists the positive and negative traits. From what we see of Cortney, this personality type appears to describe her pretty well.    http://myersbriggspersonalitytypes.tumblr.com/post/49467992301/isfp-traits-the-artists.

• Love 1

Awwwwwwwwww....

Fake or not, I did enjoy the initial Married at First Sight, and so, I hope that (silly reality show interference aside) that we get to see these two couples again.  For like a 2 hour special or something.  

I've never watched this show, though I love Tara's recaps of it. My question is, do you all see much of the little black dog in the second picture? I think he/she might be the real star here.

OMG Cortney saying how Jason worked so hard planning that honeymoon. Please the show planned it and paid for it. Otherwise they wouldn't be going on this honeymoon redo and especially to a place like Hawaii in a suite like that. I will say it came off as set up drama to be made by them bringing up all that crap again. Guess the producers think we want to see that over and over again instead of them enjoying a nice trip together leading up to the ring and last name thing. So did she officially change her last name after all that?

Jamie and Doug, I wonder how much of that pre baby bucket list was just stuff he pulled out of thin air so he had this huge list of stuff to do to prolong having a baby with her or they came up with for the show to just pay for them to do. LOL I am sure the show has put money into that trip there as well for them. So is that where that show will end up picking up for the next season? I can't imagine them just dropping it like nothing unless they get lucky enough to get matches out of the next batch of married strangers. LOL 

• Love 1

So during the romantic trip to Hawaii Cortney brings up the fight and never wants Jason to disrespect her profession again.  She keeps bringing up fighting dirty.  Now, I never saw Jason fight dirty only Cortney but she continued to make the fight about both of them.  She used the F word, not him.

I don't know how much she works but my impression is she does not work much.  Nor clean the house.  Nor cook diinner.  So Jason finally got fed up and said what anybody else would say.  Princess Cortney was totally offended that he would compare his job of fighting fires and saving lives to her applying makeup when she gets a freelance job now and then.

This season has opened my eyes to a different Cortney or maybe the real Cortney.

• Love 2

Holy crap on a cross, that is the FUGLIEST ring I have ever seen in my life. It hits every point on my barf-o-meter, including: different tones of gold; tons of tiny diamonds; different color diamonds (it appeared that way anyway); no main center stone; extremely wide, manly band. The only thing it doesn't have is a god-awful pear-shape.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, tinypeanut said:

So during the romantic trip to Hawaii Cortney brings up the fight and never wants Jason to disrespect her profession again.  She keeps bringing up fighting dirty.  Now, I never saw Jason fight dirty only Cortney but she continued to make the fight about both of them.  She used the F word, not him.

I don't know how much she works but my impression is she does not work much.  Nor clean the house.  Nor cook diinner.  So Jason finally got fed up and said what anybody else would say.  Princess Cortney was totally offended that he would compare his job of fighting fires and saving lives to her applying makeup when she gets a freelance job now and then.

This season has opened my eyes to a different Cortney or maybe the real Cortney.

I think he fights dirty too in his own ways. I get the feeling with him there is more than meets the eye and we don't see that side of things because of either how things are edited or he keeps it from showing during filming. I don't know if its just me but he gives me the impression that he has a temper on him. 

I will see that I get why she was upset about the job thing. Sure he is a fire fighter and there is lots of risk and hard work there a lot of times BUT she is working too. To me it comes off in bad light on his part with comparing and making it seem he is better than her. I say this because I have had that happen. I just didn't turn around later and start up on it. Yes I do remember it and I won't forget it. I was told by my husband that the last job I had wasn't really a job because the amount of time it was compared to his and what he does. I worked noon duty for a while at the school and he does maintenance on a high school. It wasn't exactly a cake walk doing that job mind you with how things were and still are in that school. Yet I was making some money even though it wasn't more than a couple hours each day. From that I got the feeling that even if I worked full time that no matter what kind of job it was he would do the same thing with that and still say the same thing because I wasn't doing what he was. I have heard this all as well from being a stay at home mom too. Which I had to go to homeschooling for our 9 yr old last school year. I doubt he could ever handle doing all that I do for our kids over the years. So for me I got what she was saying. I don't get told I am sorry. For me I just have to move on and go forward because we are both so stubborn on things that it would be pointless to try to argue it. That is what she needed to do after it happen. Sure let him know it hurt but after it was said not way later after. The fact that she works and can find a job(s) is something they should be thankful for considering how it is nowadays with any jobs. 

• Love 1

And . . . we're supposed to believe that in addition to planning and paying for the Hawaii trip, Jason also wrote those rhymes for the scavenger hunt??  They were at first-grade level but still miles above what Jason could put together.  His language skills are not exactly sharp.

• Love 1

"pre-baby bucket list; pre-baby bucket list; pre-baby bucket list..." in Jaime's vocal fry voice was making me want to tear my hair out.

Also, is it necessary for all of them to wax on and on about how "we've been fighting; we've been busy- this trip/adventure/outing really made us RELAX and it was nice to SPEND TIME TOGETHER and now I really APPRECIATE HIM/HER and love him/her more than EVER."  You guys are not unique, you are experiencing life and the fact that sometimes it's not all TV rose petals and luxury suites.

Also, I'm sorry but doing makeup for a living, while there is a demand, isn't something for Cortney to get all uppity about and demand that Jason realize that what she does is important.  Part-time cosmetic work is not a full-time, physically demanding or life-threatening job, no matter how you slice it.  Yeah, it's shitty to act like he's better than her, but she's more ridiculous to demand he take her seriously when she talks about how hurt she is that he commented on her career choices.

I think Cortney is way too demanding and all of the games and activities he plans are going to get hard to come by really quickly.  I'm exhausted just watching them all.  Does no one work, hang out, read a book, clean the house?

• Love 2
(edited)

we're supposed to believe that in addition to planning and paying for the Hawaii trip, Jason also wrote those rhymes for the scavenger hunt??  They were at first-grade level but still miles above what Jason could put together.  His language skills are not exactly sharp.

His  "me and Courtney" drives me crazy. They all seem to do it "xxxx and me". I know the production is cheap on this show but would think someone would catch it.

It is fine if he says  "Bob gave me and Courtney free tickets" but don't say "Courtney and me got free tickets"

Hope this is now the end! and I don't need to ever see Neph again on my TV.

Holy crap on a cross, that is the FUGLIEST ring I have ever seen in my life.

Here a pic of the ring. Now she says Jason designed it but last week we saw him pick it out at the jewelry store

Edited by Vinyasa
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

Also, I'm sorry but doing makeup for a living, while there is a demand, isn't something for Cortney to get all uppity about and demand that Jason realize that what she does is important.  Part-time cosmetic work is not a full-time, physically demanding or life-threatening job, no matter how you slice it.  Yeah, it's shitty to act like he's better than her, but she's more ridiculous to demand he take her seriously when she talks about how hurt she is that he commented on her career choices.

Yes! I suspect she is sensitive about her perceived value as a wife, rather than as a "career woman." I come from a similar place because I am a personal trainer, which is also a very part-time, feast-or-famine type of career. My husband works as a mechanical engineer for a major agricultural company about 50 hours a week. He makes exponentially more than I do, and when we were dealing with infertility, I felt like I was contributing NOTHING to our marriage, because I wasn't even pregnant or taking care of a baby. If my husband had said anything that I could have taken that way (thankfully he didn't), I would have probably felt awful. I wonder if Cortney is having a similar existential crisis. She has talked about wanting to be a mom in the past, and she harps on moving to NC when they want to have kids. Maybe what she really wants right now is to be a mom, and she feels undervalued by Jason because in her mind she is not "contributing" by making a baby.

Now that I've given Cortney the benefit of the doubt, I do have to say, makeup is NOT important. Sorry, girl. Personal training isn't important either. It's best to just own it. "I have a fluff job!" It's nothing to be ashamed of!

we're supposed to believe that in addition to planning and paying for the Hawaii trip, Jason also wrote those rhymes for the scavenger hunt??  They were at first-grade level but still miles above what Jason could put together.  His language skills are not exactly sharp.

His  "me and Courtney" drives me crazy. They all seem to do it "xxxx and me". I know the production is cheap on this show but would think someone would catch it.

It is fine if he says  "Bob gave me and Courtney free tickets" but don't say "Courtney and me got free tickets"

Holy crap on a cross, that is the FUGLIEST ring I have ever seen in my life.

Here a pic of the ring. Now she says Jason designed it but last week we saw him pick it out at the jewelry store

How about the classic "Cortney and I's relationship"? Shudder!

(edited)

Oh my, we now have a close up.

Yep, a high dollar class ring which does not look dainty or feminine AT ALL.  

They will be introducing the jewelry designer....... Free advertising for the ring?

Just like Jamie's therapist.  If you look him up on his website he states he is the therapist for MAFS.  They all barter for services.

Edited by tinypeanut
  • Love 6

Yep, a high dollar class ring which does not look dainty or feminine AT ALL.  

They will be introducing the jewelry designer....... Free advertising for the ring?

It  looks like a mini Super Bowl ring. Gosh, the band is huge!

Of course they got the ring for free along with the trip and presidential suite with seven, count them, seven balconies.

• Love 5

Regarding the "Cortney and me" usage- there is also a lot of "It took a long time for Jaime and I to be able to..."  no, it's "Jaime and ME."  If I recall correctly, I even heard the use of "Cortney and I's apartment," which made me want to stab someone.

The ring is awful.  It looks like something Mr. T would have worn.  Elegant and vintage?  Hardly.  And I don't think Jason designed it- he picked it right out of the jewelry store case, about a minute after walking into the store.

• Love 4
(edited)

I can't see the pics.  Are they from twitter or instagram?

Okay I found the one on FB.  It's not my taste, but I guess this is where rings are going.  

Edited by cardigirl

Yikes, that ring is not my taste. I feel like Jason bought Cortney a gargantuan engagement ring so that she won't ask for a replacement wedding band (as it wouldn't fit on her finger next to that monster class ring).  

I'm also wondering if she's pretending to love the ring.

I just looked at the pic on her FB page, and cannot BELIEVE how many people in the comments are raving over how "beautiful" this ring is. It is so tacky you half expect to see it displayed in-store on the foot of a pink plastic flamingo.

• Love 1

Regarding the "Cortney and me" usage- there is also a lot of "It took a long time for Jaime and I to be able to..."  no, it's "Jaime and ME."  If I recall correctly, I even heard the use of "Cortney and I's apartment," which made me want to stab someone.

That ALL drives me crazy.

It doesn't drive "I" crazy.

• Love 3
(edited)
23 hours ago, Vinyasa said:

Oh, gag, I know!   It's akin to hearing, "between he and I," when it should be, "between him and me."  Grates on my nerves big time whenever I hear these errors, no matter who makes them. This is definitely one aspect of reality t.v. that lives up to its claim. Producers allow the cast members to speak the way they're accustomed to speaking. 

About Neph:  Initially, I thought maybe Neph would bring a little humor to the show, but now I'm not so sure.  I'm still holding out a little hope, though...

On 5/4/2016 at 5:26 PM, Vinyasa said:

Jason just wanted to make sure the next ring wouldn't fit down the drain.  Or the toilet.

• Love 5
(edited)

I just stumbled upon this thread - I'm not caught up yet on episodes for this show just yet - I studied MBTI Theory years ago and ran a mailing list for it for a long time, and my specialty in Grad. school was personality theory - Plus I am an introvert (INFJ).  That said, I'm leaning more toward extrovert for Cortney.  As far as the ISFP type goes, think Princess Diana and Prince (yes the artist who just died) and you'll see what I mean about introversion.  Both were classic ISFPs.  Cortney isn't as deep, tortured and convoluted as the other two I've just mentioned.  She displays more of herself out there on the surface, which usually adds up to an extrovert in my opinion.  That said, I don't even think she's an ESFP - More of an ESFJ, just based on her dominating personality.  She wants everything in order - HER way.  Otherwise, fear the wrath (throwing the ring down the drain, excuse me?).

Meanwhile, I think Doug is definitely introverted and Jason seems to be more introverted as well.  Jamie definitely seems like an extrovert.  I haven't thought more in depth about the other's specific types.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 1

I had no idea that this season ended so soon.  Will there be MFS the next years?  Also thought it was quite interesting that there are so few comments about this season, seems no one cares... Think the network will notice?

• Love 2

I think this show needs to die, unless they can get new couples.  Regular happy married life is not interesting enough for a reality show and the fake drama was painful.

The problem is the original show has yet to produce any more successful couples.

• Love 1

Agree that it seems more and more no one cares what is going on with these people and this show. I think most of it has to do with how fake they are coming off at this point. Jamie is all about her and her wants/needs/issues and screw Doug. While Doug looks miserable and depressed in most shows. Then all the fake drama they make up for Cortney and Jason is a major joke. Its not believable at all. Sure the show has produced more couples but sadly I can see them pushing it until the bitter end in hopes of having more. I will say that this channel is just terrible on their reality shows in general and what they are suppose to be. This one with how it is, Arranged isn't even really arranged marriages or anything but more of a fixed up and now getting married show, and now I saw an ad for a new one called something like Teen Newlyweds. With that last one I was SMH asking WTF???

I thought the end of this season was the end of this show, period.  The announcer kept saying, "On the FINAL episode of MAFS The First Year" So unless they get some more successful couples it looks like they won't bring this back again with the Season 1 couples.  One can only hope, anyway!  They can always resurrect it under the title "MAFS The SECOND Year", LOL....Noooooooooooo!!!

• Love 2

Sadly they will just keep showing all those few minute segments as they are. Which those things are the most pathetic load of garbage I have ever seen. LOL I could see if it was an update on something big (baby, moved) but oh I'm making breakfast or filming her sing. Um no thanks. Don't care at all. Especially after having that season on. I'm waiting now on the MAFS First Season Couples Divorce. LOL

I think the only question now for these original couples is...will they last once the cameras have gone away?

I am going to give good odds to Jason and Courtney...they seem reasonably happy and are probably the most successful couple MAF has ever produced (not that this is a really high bar to clear).

Doug and Jamie is the bigger question mark.  I feel that their relationship is dead.  I just hope they do not have a baby just to prolong their fifteen minutes.  Jamie, for all her faults is a very motivated person (some would say thirsty, if you want to be unkind) and Doug's laid back approach to life is going to really annoy her.  He is the type of guy who just want to chill, have a fairly non demanding job, and play softball with his family.  He is just not particularly ambitious or motivated the way she is.

You also see why they are like that.  Jamie had to adopt this attitude to survive her childhood and become a nurse.  Doug's family has given him a fairly loving and supportive safety net all his life.  Neither are wrong, but unless they learn to compromise, it will not be a good fit for the long run.

• Love 1
(edited)

Bad doesn't seem to even sum it up..WTF???? For those that read it to give that run down you have my sympathies. LOL I thought this was called Wifey 101 because she wanted to have us all know we were doing it wrong and should be like her. *eyeroll* Guess she wanted a place to tell her load of crap and figured those that read it would be to stupid to know when she is full of shit, being a hypocrite or hell whatever else you want to throw in this mix. More and more she just comes off as a fame whore looking for the next way to keep it going.  

RUN DOUG RUN!!!

Edited by Evil Queen
  • Love 1