Type keyword(s) to search

Extreme Cheapskates - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I wonder about the people who throw Xmas parties and then give out really cheap gifts. Like the women who gave the free things that she got on her travels. Like the coffee cups and water bottles. Did the people that she invited to her party bring her nice gifts?

For years I had a big Christmas Eve buffet, but I didn't give gifts, and if people brought something it was a bottle or candy.

I didn't see a reason for giving gifts.

• Love 1

At the end of the holidays we buy the clearance red/green M&M's.  Separate the red/green into rubber made containers.  Use the red ones for Valentine's baking.  Green for St. Patrick day baking.

• Love 4

I save the rinse water from the laundry (Grey water) and use it for the next 'wash' load. I leaned that from a online frugal/money saving site.

Top load washing machines use about 45 gallons of water for a full load

BTW last tuesday my dh won $500 in the MEGA Millions Colorado lottery, with a 'quick pick ticket. YEA!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Taylorh2
  • Love 2

Just caught a repeat of this episode and was mostly appalled. If you can't afford to pay, stay home. Gawd. Those girls looked like they just rolled out of bed because they slept in the car. Then they harass the motel clerk until she lets them use an uncleared room to shower. From which they stole shampoo and lotion. Yes, I said stole. Those bottles are for paying customers, it's included as part of the room rate. And did they use the previous guest's used towels? That's what they deserve, but ew. And what about bathroom needs while sleeping in the car?

And what if they took something else, like a pillow or mini bar items or towels? Would the customer that actually paid for that room be charged? And the clerk said she can't do it for them because then she'd have to do it for everyone, which is a fair point. But then she does it for them anyway. On camera. So, nice example you've set there.

Yeah, going to the beach in March is so great because there's no one else there. Because it's cold, morons! And many of the little shops are closed. At least I'll never encounter them in my travels since I go places in season (when they're nice) and to places where you pay. If I can't afford it, I don't go.

The show, it irks.

• Love 3

Regifting is fine if the item is brand new, still in the box. How would anyone know it was something you received and didn't use or bought new? And what's the difference if you return an unwanted gift and use that money to buy a gift. I don't see the big deal in regifting.

I would label it with "received from aunt Sue, 2013" so that I don't inadvertently give it back to her or her daughter. You regift to the other side of the family or a friend.

• Love 2

I just watched some of the one with the woman who served her boyfriend cat food instead of tuna. I think it was fake because I don't believe that the producer or camera person would actually let him eat cat food.

No.

• Love 1

So even though I was the last to comment back in December, and this is a pretty dead thread, it's a little ironic to read what I wrote then. I had no idea when I wrote that, that my mom had cancer, she passed away in February. We recently got her house cleaned out and put it on the market (my siblings and I live in Florida, and her house is in Texas so it was a little bit of a process) but in the process of doing the probate the lawyer has to put out notice that we are in the probate process, so that if she had any outstanding debts they would be collected before her estate is distributed. Well low and behold all sorts of people are coming out of the woodwork to offer their services to take our moms house off our hands at a discount so we "don't have to worry about it" it's incredibly insulting, that people think it's acceptable to profit from our loss and gives me more perspective of how incredibly rude this girl was being by actually going to the door days/weeks after these people pass away. These people are contacting us through our lawyer, I'm fairly confidant of she had come to my door I would have had a string of not-so-polite 4 letter words for her and her "service".

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Forgive me because this is actually a general comment, although it does apply to this episode. It makes me so angry when these cheapskates serve food or otherwise subject unsuspecting friends to their cheap ways, only to later reveal what they did and be like "ha, see it's not that bad" granted it has to be highly producer set up because I can't imaging that out of all those people in the cooking class not one was outraged (as I would be). It's one thing to be cheap (you can read that as disgusting)on yourself, it's more of a "to each their own" situation, but when they bring others into it by serving these things to other people that is just wrong. A while back there was an episode of a woman who dumpster dive outside of a "upscale" (she kept saying that because it made it better) for thrown out prepared foods, then had some friends over and served them that food thinking it would be ok because she heated it to kill bacteria (ps bacteria is not all you should be concerned about... Hence why they throw the food away).

I agree with what some people said, I am curious to learn maybe some cost saving measures, but these things are downright dangerous.

Also, one last thing... I hate it when the EC's always say how dumb it is to pay full price for things... Let me know how dumb it is when your in the hospital with c. Diff

I quit watching this show after some woman who was babysitting the neighborhood kids, I think, served them pizza made from garbage, long-expired cheese, and clippings from a park or roadside ditch.
  • Love 1

I quit watching this show after some woman who was babysitting the neighborhood kids, I think, served them pizza made from garbage, long-expired cheese, and clippings from a park or roadside ditch.

I'm watching a rerun of that episode right now. I don't understand why she had to forage in the neighborhood park. An indoor garden kit is ~$30.
  • Love 2

I'm watching a rerun of that episode right now. I don't understand why she had to forage in the neighborhood park. An indoor garden kit is ~$30.

THIRTY DOLLARS?!?!?!?

But she can get it for FREE!!!!!

Yeah, the whole thing was ridiculous. To be honest, I thought it was illegal to sell food past the expiration date on the label.

• Love 1
On 1/1/2015 at 1:38 PM, applecrisp said:

i'm with you Leighroda, I like hearing cost cutting measures as well.  It is good for my pocketbook and the environment.

These people fall in the penny wise, pound foolish category, in that how much are you really saving??

On 12/7/2014 at 4:15 PM, leighroda said:

Forgive me because this is actually a general comment, although it does apply to this episode. It makes me so angry when these cheapskates serve food or otherwise subject unsuspecting friends to their cheap ways, only to later reveal what they did and be like "ha, see it's not that bad" granted it has to be highly producer set up because I can't imaging that out of all those people in the cooking class not one was outraged (as I would be). It's one thing to be cheap (you can read that as disgusting)on yourself, it's more of a "to each their own" situation, but when they bring others into it by serving these things to other people that is just wrong. A while back there was an episode of a woman who dumpster dive outside of a "upscale" (she kept saying that because it made it better) for thrown out prepared foods, then had some friends over and served them that food thinking it would be ok because she heated it to kill bacteria (ps bacteria is not all you should be concerned about... Hence why they throw the food away).

I agree with what some people said, I am curious to learn maybe some cost saving measures, but these things are downright dangerous.

Also, one last thing... I hate it when the EC's always say how dumb it is to pay full price for things... Let me know how dumb it is when your in the hospital with c. Diff

I know I am, oh I don't know....a few years late, but there was a rerun on and I had to find the thread.  To serve expired, dumpster or too old food then say "Surprise!  That was not too bad, was it?" is just mean and passive aggressive.  I am pretty thrifty but I NEVER eat old food.  My ex husband used to play fast and loose with expired food and I was like, Dude I do NOT want to bring you to the ER when you get sick at 3am!!!  LOL!

There is a big difference between saving money on toilet paper or using cloth towels instead of paper towels but expired cheese and getting food out of the dumpster?  In July?  Gross.

• Love 2

This was on when I got up and turned the tv on this morning and wound up watching several and I agree with aspect of mental illness and or OCD with the peeing in the container. The rags instead of paper, I can imagine the smell in that bathroom. 

Something is so fake with mom with the empty house no phone and bunch of kids.  Daughter wants clothing and there is nothing in her closet,  not a hanger except with an orphan  Annie dress.    I call BS.  Then mom says “I feel sooo good when I save money and NOT buy my daughter a used Piece of clothing” so proud .  Thats not a home, you aren’t making a home for your family on a card table. 
I have always found cheap people stingy emotionally. 
CPA in New York is nuts. Sorry nuts.  She doesn’t have friends. 
The guy insulting the baker was the worst. There was a customer in a floral shop where I was a designer and  this guy ordered big showy centerpiece arrangement and when he came to pick it up said he wanted to pay dollars less. My buddy said oh sure which flowers would you like me to take out?  He paid what the original price he ordered. 
I’ve never bargained for anything In my life nor had my husband.  On a trip to Mexico  the drove of sellers  who approach us on the beach pushing their goods , my husband then got into it and brought a bunch of blankets we didn’t need. 
I actually had to turn sound almost off when bike guy was yelling at the fish market ,how obnoxious and they are creeps.  
Whew I I feel better. 
Think any of these low brow folks could be influencers in this day and age ?  Yeah I didn’t think so.  

On 10/24/2020 at 4:30 PM, athousandclowns said:

This was on when I got up and turned the tv on this morning and wound up watching several and I agree with aspect of mental illness and or OCD with the peeing in the container. The rags instead of paper, I can imagine the smell in that bathroom. 

Something is so fake with mom with the empty house no phone and bunch of kids.  Daughter wants clothing and there is nothing in her closet,  not a hanger except with an orphan  Annie dress.    I call BS.  Then mom says “I feel sooo good when I save money and NOT buy my daughter a used Piece of clothing” so proud .  Thats not a home, you aren’t making a home for your family on a card table. 
I have always found cheap people stingy emotionally. 
CPA in New York is nuts. Sorry nuts.  She doesn’t have friends. 
The guy insulting the baker was the worst. There was a customer in a floral shop where I was a designer and  this guy ordered big showy centerpiece arrangement and when he came to pick it up said he wanted to pay dollars less. My buddy said oh sure which flowers would you like me to take out?  He paid what the original price he ordered. 
I’ve never bargained for anything In my life nor had my husband.  On a trip to Mexico  the drove of sellers  who approach us on the beach pushing their goods , my husband then got into it and brought a bunch of blankets we didn’t need. 
I actually had to turn sound almost off when bike guy was yelling at the fish market ,how obnoxious and they are creeps.  
Whew I I feel better. 
Think any of these low brow folks could be influencers in this day and age ?  Yeah I didn’t think so.  

the CPA in New York was that woman who didn't turn on her AC in the summer, disconnected her oven and wore shorts so old that elastic wore out and served food from dumpster diving to her friends?

10 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

the CPA in New York was that woman who didn't turn on her AC in the summer, disconnected her oven and wore shorts so old that elastic wore out and served food from dumpster diving to her friends?

Thanks for your post I was sure since the program was old I’m here by myself. Funny I watched maybe 3 of these and then somehow found myself on hoarders for half a program. 
Yes the shorts ! She could scrounge up some elastic and figure out how to cinch them up ( being they were so attractive) .  The dumpster meals thrown in a pot to serve “ her friend”.  Poor woman said she’d get together with her again but in a restaurant. Good luck with that because you will be paying.  Her personality or lack of would not attract anyone to engage with her.  
the yoga Matt’s on the floor and pillow flat as Hell so even great grandma disposed of it. Makes me itch looking at it. 

Which reminds me of the guy taking food from other diners plates.  When I was in grade school I volunteered in the cafeteria and scraped plates and stacked trays. I had a plastic apron and gloves on and that was in 1908.  I’d only eat off a loved ones plate but lucky for me and them I’m not inclined to want it.  

On 10/27/2020 at 2:17 PM, athousandclowns said:

Thanks for your post I was sure since the program was old I’m here by myself. Funny I watched maybe 3 of these and then somehow found myself on hoarders for half a program. 
Yes the shorts ! She could scrounge up some elastic and figure out how to cinch them up ( being they were so attractive) .  The dumpster meals thrown in a pot to serve “ her friend”.  Poor woman said she’d get together with her again but in a restaurant. Good luck with that because you will be paying.  Her personality or lack of would not attract anyone to engage with her.  
the yoga Matt’s on the floor and pillow flat as Hell so even great grandma disposed of it. Makes me itch looking at it. 

I honestly don't think that even if you bought the CPA new clothes (and told her to dispose of the old rags) and took her out to a restaurant to eat she would accept. It's an illness (like hoarders). I just wonder how she actually holds down a job and has not been fired for her dress or even smell.  Most business would want you to have a certain look.

• Useful 1