Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Geishas Gone Wrong

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

I could stomach this show if everyone was being like Josh today. He gave Jason some advice on his tattoo even though Jason didn't take the advice, when Jason won Josh was the first person to clap for him. Loved when he called Booberella a stupid bitch, that made love Josh today. He was also wanting Erik to gun for him. He really is a salesman because twice he's gotten a canvas to change location of a tat. He did mess up on the tree too rigid like the judges said, and when you think of cherry blossoms you think of the bright color and petals falling which he should have done.

Booberella's tattoo was fugly. The tree was hideous with the octopus legs were hideous. Her Geisha was ugly looked like two elbows, the face was fat and ugly. The rest of the contestants look like they're getting sick of her as much as we are.

CRO is a contender to win, I liked his tree, especially the roots. His Geisha was good as well.

Cris was an idiot for saying he just gave up. Sounds like he doesn't want to be there.

I thought Mark was going to be competition at first glance but he's just not doing well at all.

Erik doing the decapitation and making her smirk was funny. You don't look cute when your head is cut off lol.

Tim needed to go home, he was flat out horrible and can learn from CRO.

I hope judges rip into Booberella next week. She deserves it.

• Love 3

I've said this before, but out of this group of doofi, I'm pulling for Josh to take it all. My second choice would be Jason. I keep thinking I've seen some camaraderie between them even though I may be imagining it, but they are definitely my two favourites.

Boobarella (hee, hee, thanks whoever came up with that one) is a nasty piece of work. If the show is setting her up to BE the first female winner, I'll be uber pissed. I hate when bad behaviour is rewarded in any form, and even if she's just playing a part or doing what the producers want her to do, it sends a message that it's okay to be a nasty piece of work.

I'm still underwhelmed by most of these players, although the geisha tats were nowhere near as bad as the pin ups.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 1

I've said this before, but out of this group of doofi, I'm pulling for Josh to take it all. My second choice would be Jason. I keep thinking I've seen some camaraderie between them even though I may be imagining it, but they are definitely my two favourites.

Josh rubbed Jason's shoulders to congratulate him for winning. it might have been a cynical ploy to get some camera time, but I think it was legit.

Edited by Monty

As someone who has been fascinated by Japanese art and culture for ages, I'm always excited when Japanese week rolls around. It's a difficult challenge because the style is so exacting - especially if they are styling the designs along the lines of the ukiyo-e woodcuts (where images of geisha were extremely popular). I could really nitpick and complain that a lot of the images were actually tayū (high ranking courtesans who would wear hairpins far to the excess of what a geisha would) but it's not something that 99% of westerners would know.

I liked Josh's design even though it wasn't true to the Japanese style - it looked like a modern take on the old images and her face was quite lovely.  He succeeded where Angel, Don and Chris (who also didn't follow ukiyo-e style) utterly failed. Jason's was beautiful and true to the ukiyo-e style but yee gods... so many of them were an absolute mess. I don't expect artists who don't understand the form to get all the kimono details right, but the face should look good and most of them were awful. Mark's, Tim's and Robbie's were ugly and I have no idea what was going on with Ryan's and Erik's. They were all just aesthetically so unpleasant. Julia's wasn't perfect, but at least I wouldn't want to take a Brillo pad to it.

As for Emily, there is nothing positive that I can say about her design. She's talking a big show, but it's not coming out in her work at all.

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 5

I think Jason and Josh are either doing an us against them friendliness, or they mended their relationship after the show. I do love that Jason is still after him. Lol. I love Jason.

Tim's work was so very very bad. I feel sorry for his canvas. :(

I gagged a little when Jason and Cleen talked about using their looks to woo the clients. Blurg. I know..I'm shallow.

Maybe it's just me but this seems like the worst bunch of contestants ever. I can never remember his name but the little guy who wears the striped tanks is HORRIBLE and the guy who went home was just as bad.

I wish TPTB would stop with the cliche bad guy. Or in this case the Bad Boob. Emily is a nasty piece of work. I'm with the poster who hopes her bad behavior doesn't get rewarded. I don't see it happening though unless she really steps up her game.

• Love 1

I liked Josh in his season and still like him now. His Geisha was beautiful. I remember the other contestants ragging on him before because his free style drawing isn't' strong; but I don't care  about that if he makes beautiful tattoos. Most of the other people don't have great artistic skills either. Most of the tattoos I see on people I know are specific designs that are mostly traced, not free hand creations (although I know there are people who would want this). I also appreciate that Josh knows how long a good tattoo will take and advises his client accordingly. I don't think he has any kind of real beef with Jason.

Please send Bette Page/Booberalla home. I can't stand the constant shots of her smirking.

Edited by Madding crowd

I liked Josh in his season and still like him now. His Geisha was beautiful. I remember the other contestants ragging on him before because his free style drawing isn't' strong; but I don't care  about that if he makes beautiful tattoos. Most of the other people don't have great artistic skills either. Most of the tattoos I see on people I know are specific designs that are mostly traced, not free hand creations (although I know there are people who would want this). I also appreciate that Josh knows how long a good tattoo will take and advises his client accordingly. I don't think he has any kind of real beef with Jason.

It seems like Jason is the one with the beef. Josh just doesn't give a fuck.

I'm starting to think that ability to draw freestyle is very, very overrated on this show. I know of very few artists that don't rely heavily on references to make sure that they are getting details and proportions correctly. When I had the orchid tattooed on my ankle, my artist referred to a botany text for pictures to make sure that he was doing the kind of orchid I wanted correctly.  And Josh isn't doing a simple copy of photos and pictures - he uses them as inspiration but he does create his own work.

And I haven't been at all impressed by most of these "artists" who claim that they draw everything on their own. Josh might not be the strongest freehand artist, but where he has them all beat is his eye for detail and his skill as a technician. To be blunt, I would be a lot more comfortable having someone like Josh who would give me a technically perfect tattoo than any of the others with their shaky lines, bad proportions and general ineptitude.

• Love 3

Regarding Josh's drawing skills, or lack of, I don't want a technically perfect tattoo if it's ugly and his geisha is ugly. I also don't want a beautiful drawing tattooed badly on me.  I think that if you can't draw freehand you might not have a good sense of proportion and that is to me where Josh's geisha shows his lack. He's an excellent copy artist and technically one of the best there but I don't think an "Ink Master" should be a copy artist but I guess we will see.  

Overall the geishas were not as bad as the pin-ups but that's a low, low bar. 

• Love 1

A tree that morphs into an octopus - badlly? really? In what world is that ever going to be a good idea?

Maybe the guy was hypnotized by her cleavage or really stupid.  Otherwise, I go nothing on why the hell he would pick her out of all the artists. 

• Love 1

The flash challenge tattoo Emily did was weak. She literally tattoo'd an octopus with a tree growing out of his head. Her geisha tattoo was in the middle of the road.

I'm so glad Tim was finally kicked off the show. He has no business being a tattoo artist. All his tattoos looked ugly as fuck. I feel sorry for the guy stuck with the pig-nosed hula girl, and now there is someone stuck with a cartoony geisha woman. I hate just about everything about him: the way he dresses, his attitude, and his long-winded smartass remarks that you can tell he practiced over and over in front of a mirror. 

Angel may not be the best tattoo artist, but his competitive spirit is refreshing. Cris was at a low point, but instead of kicking him like a dog when he's down, Angel pushed him to at least give him a fight. 

The guy with the thick beard, glasses, and tank tops is a big disappointment. I thought he'd being in the top 4. But the way he flip flops between good and shitty puts him closer to the bottom.

• Love 1

I remember Emily's name, not anyone else's, really, and she didn't seem that bad after watching Korina on "Project Runway," so I think I'm...warming to her, I guess is the phrase.  Not warming, but she wasn't as grating this time.

I wish the canvasses always interviewed the artists and made their selections.  That's a whole 'nother way to cause drama between people.  Bitter canvasses, pissed off artists- there's a lot to be mined there, I think.  Picking skulls to sabotage people is tired, and leads to a higher rate of crap tattoos.

I guess I'm different when it comes to competing. If I were giving out skulls I would give the challenging tattoos to the best artists like Josh, CRO, and Jason (while producers will tell them to say I was screwing them over) while the bad artists would get the easy stuff cause I wouldn't want a canvas to walk out with a bad tattoo.

• Love 1

I keep thinking that I should hate Josh and be annoyed by Jason, but I'm not.  

I love them both.  

Jason is a good tattoo guy and there's something about him that makes me root for him, and Josh is a delightful "villain."  I wouldn't mind if they ended up in the top 3 with Clean (who I'm rooting for to win).

I remember Emily's name, not anyone else's, really, and she didn't seem that bad after watching Korina on "Project Runway," so I think I'm...warming to her, I guess is the phrase.  Not warming, but she wasn't as grating this time.

I see a difference.  Korina seems to be a tone-deaf moron who sat there dutifully in the Talking Head interviews going down the list and coming up with some "critical" bit about every other contestant every time.  She's not trying to cause drama, she's just a drama magnet on an actual broadcast because what she's saying is so totally undiplomatic.  

Emily is a deliberate stirrer, who's clearly doing ALL of this to be a Reality Show villain.  I mean she may well be a massive bitch outside of this as well, but you can see watching this that she's laying it all out like she does because... well... she's actually SEEN this show before and like us knows the producers reward acting Fucking Evil.

• Love 2

I think Jason and Josh are either doing an us against them friendliness, or they mended their relationship after the show. I do love that Jason is still after him. Lol. I love Jason.

Yeah, Josh seems to have teamed up with Jason in taking out the low hanging fruit that doesn't deserve to be there.