Type keyword(s) to search

Forbidden Love - General Discussion

• Start Topic

TITLE*: Forbidden Love

CATEGORY*: Candid Reality

NETWORK: TLC

RELEASE DATE: July 21 2024

SYNOPSIS: Couples hopelessly in love face one final hurdle in their relationship — religion. To stay together, someone must choose to change their faith, but will the sacrifice strengthen their relationship or tear them apart?

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: To have any chance at a future together, these couples will need to overcome huge cultural and religious differences. How much pressure can their love withstand? Don’t miss the premiere of this brand new series, Sunday July 21st at 10/9c.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Thank you!

I think this could be a fun show but so far they are going way overboard with all of Amish boys secrets!

Yes that was weird - the "animals" thing just came out of the blue, like they're just trying to make the Amish sound as bad as possible.  I would like some more backstory on his wife - at first she just seemed like she enjoyed corrupting an Amish kid, but now I'm wondering if there's some trauma in her past that made her think he was "safe" (to corrupt 😄)

• Like 2

I think this will be a one and done season. These couples are completely mismatched and I can't see any of them taking their religious differences seriously or respectfully. Maybe the only one with a future is the Christian/Muslim pair with the hating inlaws, because she tries to make him happy and they have a child together. Neither side of the family will accept the other, but if the couple focuses on their own little family, they may succeed. She did move away from the bigots after all. I can't wait to see the other Christian/Muslim couple in a future ep.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

Maybe the only one with a future is the Christian/Muslim pair with the hating inlaws, because she tries to make him happy and they have a child together. Neither side of the family will accept the other, but if the couple focuses on their own little family, they may succeed. 

Until he makes enough money to afford a second wife! 😄

• Mind Blown 1
On 7/23/2024 at 4:37 PM, princelina said:

Yes that was weird - the "animals" thing just came out of the blue, like they're just trying to make the Amish sound as bad as possible.  I would like some more backstory on his wife - at first she just seemed like she enjoyed corrupting an Amish kid, but now I'm wondering if there's some trauma in her past that made her think he was "safe" (to corrupt 😄)

She struck me as wanting a man-child to lead around by the nose.

5 minutes ago, tvrox said:

Anyone here to chat? 

I'm here for a bit, then I have to go to work.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

I’m here. I’m not really invested in any of these people so far!

Same. I'm interested in the Ethiopian girl a bit. Sounds like she's been through a lot. 

• Like 4

So, what do we think of the wigs? I saw a few in the nursing rehab I was at recently —owned by Orthodox Jews though most of the residents were not Jewish and most of the staff wa ps Caribbean. These wigs are nicer.

1 minute ago, sainte-chapelle said:

I wonder how much of this is exaggerated for the show

Oh, lots, I’m sure.

• Like 1

I think I am the only one not excited for the next Joker movie.

These relationships are all doomed. Mo can kick rocks but her family is racist trash and I fully believe the sister called him a terrorist

• Like 4

I don't see any way the Pentecostal fellow and Muslim woman will make it.  Both want the other to convert and neither has any intention to.  They are too far apart to find any workable compromise.  He's giving me Tyler Perry vibes.

I don't get the wig rule.  Why is it OK to reveal fake hair and sinful to let the public see real hair?  That said, I give her credit for "trying" and keeping an open mind about it all. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, suzeecat said:

I don't get the wig rule.  Why is it OK to reveal fake hair and sinful to let the public see real hair?  That said, I give her credit for "trying" and keeping an open mind about it all. 

According to Google:

Orthodox women do not show their hair in public after their wedding. With a headscarf or a wig – referred to in Yiddish as a sheitel – they signal to their surroundings that they are married and that they comply with traditional notions of propriety.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, judylo said:

Me. They are making all the religions look extreme and crazy!

Maybe that's because all religion is extreme & crazy in varying degrees. I mean most of them believe in a made up being that nobody can see or hear but some say they can speak to because they are special. If it wasn't done in the name of religion people would be called crazy every time & locked up for their own protection.

Edited by Shrek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
20 hours ago, judylo said:

So, what do we think of the wigs? I saw a few in the nursing rehab I was at recently —owned by Orthodox Jews though most of the residents were not Jewish and most of the staff wa ps Caribbean. These wigs are nicer.

My sister had cancer and bought all of her wigs from places that served Orthodox Jewish women - they were very nice and very expensive.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

I never heard of the wig tradition before but I'm such a smart-ass Id take that run with it! 

One day a blue wig, next day green, next spiked, next day dreads...

• Like 2

I enjoy the show because I'm learning about different religions. But I can't help but be put off by the expectations expected of women, especially when it's clearly not expected of men. I think religion is important, but certain "organized" teachings serve only to manipulate and oppress rather than bring enlightenment. 

I never knew married Orthodox Jewish women have to wear wigs. Why aren't the men wearing wigs as well? Rules like this are hypocritical.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Chalby said:

I enjoy the show because I'm learning about different religions. But I can't help but be put off by the expectations expected of women, especially when it's clearly not expected of men. I think religion is important, but certain "organized" teachings serve only to manipulate and oppress rather than bring enlightenment. 

I never knew married Orthodox Jewish women have to wear wigs. Why aren't the men wearing wigs as well? Rules like this are hypocritical.

Orthodox Jewish men almost always wear yarmulkes/kippot and/or tall hats, depending on the sect and how observant they are. But we are talking Orthodox here. Most American Jews aren’t (don’t quote me on that, speaking from my experience).

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, judylo said:

Orthodox Jewish men almost always wear yarmulkes/kippot and/or tall hats, depending on the sect and how observant they are. But we are talking Orthodox here. Most American Jews aren’t (don’t quote me on that, speaking from my experience).

Personally, I get so hot even thinking about wearing a wig in summer, but if men have to cover their hair in accordance with Orthodox Judaism, I'm fine with this decision. It's only when there's a lack of equality, that I question the true purpose of any "rule".

22 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Orthodox Jewish men must wear hats, also covering their heads.

So are women allowed to wear hats and scarves on their heads instead of wigs? That would be wonderful.

2 hours ago, Chalby said:

Personally, I get so hot even thinking about wearing a wig in summer, but if men have to cover their hair in accordance with Orthodox Judaism, I'm fine with this decision. It's only when there's a lack of equality, that I question the true purpose of any "rule".

So are women allowed to wear hats and scarves on their heads instead of wigs? That would be wonderful.

Yes, I believe so. There’s a kind of head wrap that some wear, I forget the name. Also, I remember when I was a kid, my mom wore a hat or a little lacy thing on her head when she went to services at our synagogue, which was Conservative Jewish, which is not “conservative” in the political sense but much less rigorous than Orthodox. The least traditional/egalitarian was Reform. This was back in the 60s and 70s. There are all sorts of hybrids now, and many women in egalitarian-type shuls (synagogues, temples) even wear the traditionally male yarmulke when at services!

By the way, if anyone is curious, there is a great Facebook group called “A group where non-Jews can ask questions about Judaism and Jews will answer.” It’s great. A whole spectrum of Jewish people respond and give their FoR, frame of reference, so you know what viewpoint you’re getting. As they say, two Jews, three opinions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3

The Pentecostal family seems.... extreme. The son, I forget his name, was like "some families like to play games, we like to worship." Forgive me, but I don't even know what that means, Daddy speaks in tongues for an hour??? That relationship is doomed. 

The Orthodox Jewish family has nothing to say about their son's sleeve of tattoos, but she better wear a wig! The last wig was very pretty I must say. 

• Like 5

I want to know what the Orthodox Jewish mom has to say about his tattoos?  He took a pause on this practice long enough to get a full sleeve and recover from alcoholism.  A lot of this seems to have some help from production.

I follow an Orthodox Jewish woman on Insta Miriam Ezagui and she answers all questions on everything about being an Orthodox Jewish wife and mother.  Dress, wigs, mikvah, headwraps, modest clothing, etc.  Very informative and interesting.  She is a Labor and Delivery nurse and had to get permission from her Rabbi to wear scrubs at work and they have to be washed at the hospital.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Jenhavins said:

I want to know what the Orthodox Jewish mom has to say about his tattoos?  He took a pause on this practice long enough to get a full sleeve and recover from alcoholism.  A lot of this seems to have some help from production.

I am very familiar with the Orthodox Jewish community for many reasons, but one of them is the fact that they tend to rent condos in New Hampshire (in the summer) to keep a kosher kitchen. All summer long they show up with vans full of kids, bike around, etc. They have taught their children to not interact with other children, as I learned at a playground one day. The wigs are a real thing, or they wear a head covering, but that is mostly seen in the older ladies. I appreciate their religion, but my kids couldn't understand why the other kids refused to play with them. They all have flip phones, no iphones or tech of any kind. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 7/31/2024 at 1:14 PM, judylo said:

In my city I met Orthodox Jews who wouldn't do business with me ( my husband had to be there) and would not touch me (forbidden unless family or wife).  I also met Orthodox Jews who had no rules surrounding this…there are also men who wear the tall hats and have the long  side curls ( forgive my ignorance I don’t know the proper terminology but I think it is peyot but I think thi is Hasidic) I assume there  variations of Orthodoxy? 

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Like 1

Waiting any minute now for Kris’ parents to yell “Hercules!  Hercules!”  I’m really wondering how the collard greens were prepared.  I hope without pork…I mean they’re good with pork, but given how little they care to know of her religion, I wouldn’t be surprised.  This relationship is doomed.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

In my city I met Orthodox Jews who wouldn't do business with me ( my husband had to be there) and would not touch me (forbidden unless family or wife).  I also met Orthodox Jews who had no rules surrounding this…there are also men who wear the tall hats and have the long  side curls ( forgive my ignorance I don’t know the proper terminology but I think it is peyot but I think thi is Hasidic) I assume there  variations of Orthodoxy? 

Yes, the Hasids with their side curls, peyot. There are a few Hasidic sects and there are other Orthodox strains, including Modern Orthodox and Ultra Orthodox. But I’m no expert. I am fairly secular these days and learn a lot from that Facebook group I mentioned!

• Useful 3

Live in a red state with very few Jewish people, so my experiences with this are pretty much from the book "Orthodox."

I remembered about the wigs, but it was the attitudes and practices about sex that I knew nothing about.  I never could have converted. The role of women is way too constricted IMO.

Agree with post upthread about all religions have rituals, traditions and rules that seem bizarre to outsiders.

On 7/29/2024 at 11:52 PM, xls said:

I never heard of the wig tradition before but I'm such a smart-ass Id take that run with it! 

One day a blue wig, next day green, next spiked, next day dreads...

You'd look super @xls I'm sure.

All I can think of is how itchy and hot it would be. I'm a runner (slow AF, but still...) it would be unbearable. 

• LOL 1
On 8/5/2024 at 1:49 PM, BAForever said:

Live in a red state with very few Jewish people, so my experiences with this are pretty much from the book "Orthodox."

I remembered about the wigs, but it was the attitudes and practices about sex that I knew nothing about.  I never could have converted. The role of women is way too constricted IMO.

Agree with post upthread about all religions have rituals, traditions and rules that seem bizarre to outsiders.

Non-Orthodox Jewish women are not constricted.

• Useful 2

Oy, she should convert to Conservative or ReformJudaism and he should switch too. Neither of them are cut out for the Orthodox lifestyle. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
(edited)
On 7/31/2024 at 7:56 PM, Chalby said:

Yes. You can wear a scarf or hat. 
athe head wrap is called a tichel. 

BTW some modern orthodox women do not wear any head coverings except in shul 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 3
9 hours ago, judylo said:

Non-Orthodox Jewish women are not constricted.

Wasn't clear in my post @judylo. I was speaking of Orthodox Jewish people. Thanks for the reminder of the huge difference between Orthodox and non-Orthodox.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BAForever said:

Wasn't clear in my post @judylo. I was speaking of Orthodox Jewish people. Thanks for the reminder of the huge difference between Orthodox and non-Orthodox.

And to add to the complexity, huge variance among the orthodox. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I have to call BS on the orthodox Jewish guy and the Italian girl. My source of info:  I'm a nonpracticing Jewish woman (raised in a nonpracticing home).  But I have learned lots of stuff about all the sects because I'm just interested in it and have plenty of friends in all these circles.  

1) If you're doing an orthodox conversion, they don't want to hear that you're doing it to get married. 

2) I think they're sleeping together, which you're really not supposed to do if orthodox. 

3) I hope he stays sober, but he still seems one step away from going whole hog into joining a motorcycle gang.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 8/14/2024 at 9:17 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I have to call BS on the orthodox Jewish guy and the Italian girl.

2) I think they're sleeping together, which you're really not supposed to do if orthodox. 

This!  She said "we moved into an Orthodox neighborhood" which sounded to me like living together without being married.  Then they show the conservative-Jewish dressed neighbors walking by.  But no one cares that they're not married?  Something doesn't smell right 😄

• Like 2