Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Some good games Day 1. Giannis had a monster performance but Greece too shallow to win over Canada, Wemby had a great Olympic debut as well. France looks very strong.

Can't wait for US/Serbia tomorrow.

• Like 4
(edited)

It was kind of rough for a little bit rough in the 1st half for USA. But, they got it together in the 2nd half to win in a cakewalk 110-84. KD scored 21 points in the 1st half coming from the bench (Yay 😒) & got 23 points in total. LeBron was being his usual self with his 21 points. Also Steph got 11 points while being 3-7 from 3 point range. Yay. 😒

BTW, South Sudan got their 1st Olympic win today by beating Puerto Rico 90-79. Yay. 😊 They're the next opponent for USA on Tuesday. Hopefully, it'll be just as fun like last time when LeBron have to save the day for USA (coming back from 16 points & LeBron making the winning basket at the end.).

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1
55 minutes ago, Magog said:

It was kind of rough for a little bit rough in the 1st half for USA. But, they got it together in the 2nd half to win in a cakewalk 110-84. KD scored 21 points in the 1st half coming from the bench (Yay 😒) & got 23 points in total. LeBron was being his usual self with his 21 points. Also Steph got 11 points while being 3-7 from 3 point range. Yay. 😒

BTW, South Sudan got their 1st Olympic win today by beating Puerto Rico 90-79. Yay. 😊 They're the next opponent for USA on Tuesday. Hopefully, it'll be just as fun like last time when LeBron have to save the day for USA (coming back from 16 points & LeBron making the winning basket at the end.).

Embiid's game is simply not translating well in international play. I noticed that once they took out Embiid and put in KD, it started to rain points. 

Also, KD's calf looked fine. He shot a lot from the perimeter but he was making those shots so ...

• Like 4

Say what you will about KD, but there's no denying how good he has been in the Olympics throughout his career.  He was the leading scorer in 12, 16, and 20.

• Like 1
(edited)
18 minutes ago, baldryanr said:

Say what you will about KD, but there's no denying how good he has been in the Olympics throughout his career.  He was the leading scorer in 12, 16, and 20.

I actually thought he'd be slowed down this year bc he's been nursing a calf injury. But he came on and it immediately started raining baskets.

Also can I just say how amazing this crowd is? They cheer for everyone. Cheer for people coming off the bench, cheers for people who are taken out of the game during a blowout. Just a happy crowd that seems to love basketball.

Edited by Is Everyone Gone
  • Like 4

South Sudan vs USA was a fun game! Tatum was back in the lineup although not very impactful, while Joel Embiid got the DNP. South Sudan is a fun, appealing team with good shooters.

USA goes to the quarterfinals as expected.

South Sudan vs USA was a fun game!

It was nice. Not as fun as the last time they played, but the game was nice. It was also nice seeing Steph only get 3 points. 

Tatum was back in the lineup although not very impactful, 

Tatum only got 4 points after all of that griping about him not starting in the first Olympic game against Serbia. I don't know why him not starting against Serbia while USA won in a cakewalk is a big deal. Frankly, I don't find it newsworthy & I'm very annoyed that its worth giving a damn about. Its not like its a one game type of thing like the Super Bowl. 

while Joel Embiid got the DNP.

Is even playing the next game? All I can say about that is, Meh. USA doesn't need him to win the Gold Medal.

1 hour ago, Magog said:

It was nice. Not as fun as the last time they played, but the game was nice. It was also nice seeing Steph only get 3 points. 

Tatum only got 4 points after all of that griping about him not starting in the first Olympic game against Serbia. I don't know why him not starting against Serbia while USA won in a cakewalk is a big deal. Frankly, I don't find it newsworthy & I'm very annoyed that its worth giving a damn about. Its not like its a one game type of thing like the Super Bowl. 

Is even playing the next game? All I can say about that is, Meh. USA doesn't need him to win the Gold Medal.

USA is already through to the quarterfinals. They also have the largest point differential so far.

So next game against Puerto Rico I expect the heavy hitters to rest (Lebron, KD, AD).

Can someone explain 3x3 basketball to me?  It just seems like a pickup street basketball game, right?  Is there any particular reason why the American teams are doing so poorly?  How can the U.S. be so dominant in "regular" basketball but are unable to field decent 3x3 teams?

What kind of athlete decides they want to be a 3x3 player?  Are they the ones that are not good enough to make a regular team?  Are they old?  I see that the U.S. men's team features NBA-bust Jimmer Fredette... which seems to say it all.

33 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Can someone explain 3x3 basketball to me?  It just seems like a pickup street basketball game, right?  Is there any particular reason why the American teams are doing so poorly?  How can the U.S. be so dominant in "regular" basketball but are unable to field decent 3x3 teams?

What kind of athlete decides they want to be a 3x3 player?  Are they the ones that are not good enough to make a regular team?  Are they old?  I see that the U.S. men's team features NBA-bust Jimmer Fredette... which seems to say it all.

Basically 3x3 basketball in the US is for people not good enough to even make the G leagues or play in Europe. I think Delonte West was trying to be a 3x3 before he went down his super-sad path.

A Lebron or KD talent is not going to be moved into 3x3. 

• Useful 2
On 8/1/2024 at 2:42 PM, blackwing said:

There are requirements for 3x3 (at least the men) that players play on the world tour or whatever. You can't just pull players from the NBA who didn't make the regular team to do 3x3, unless they take time off the NBA for multiple weekend tournaments around the world throughout the year. The current US team was actually ranked 2nd in the world I believe coming in and won a bunch of tournaments over the last 1-2 years in order to qualify for the Olympics. Jimmer was recruited by USA Basketball after his pro career was over (he spent years as a dominant player in China) and had been one of the top players in the world. They didn't play well in the first 2 games, then Jimmer got hurt and with only 4 players on a team, that meant the other 3 had to play the whole time with no subs and without their best shooter.

• Useful 1

No real surprises in today's play. Serbia over S. Sudan, USA over Puerto Rico. Only area of concern is that USA is a man down as Jrue Holiday is injured. Boo. I love Jrue Holiday. But that's the point of having a 12-deep roster.

USA is playing Brazil today in the Quarterfinals. Yay. 

This should be a stroll in the park for the USA today. BTW, I have no idea if Brazil has any NBA Players. 

In a surprise to absolutely nobody, it was a 122-87 stroll in the park win for the USA. Yay. Their next game is against Serbia in the semifinals. 

In absolutely good news, Canada went down to France 82-73. Thankfully, we won't have to worry about that sucky pathetic loser & scumbag Dillon Brooks in the Olympics anymore. He better not be on the Canada team in 4 years.

• Hugs 1

Noah Eagle says “Captain America [LeBron James] put the entire country on his back!” and no, Noah.  No.  Captain America wouldn’t have, the play before, lackadaisically watched an offensive rebound mosey on over to Serbia.

• Like 4

Steph has been pretty mediocre in these Olympics but kudos for bringing it today (side note: after all these years, his chewing his mouthguard habit remains disgusting). 

Lebron had a triple double, too.  Not bad for a guy turning 40 this year.

• Like 2
(edited)

Wow! Exciting finish

Exciting indeed. USA 95 - Serbia 91. Yay. 😒

USA was down by 17 points at one point & was down by 13 points at the end of the 3rd Quarter. Unfortunately, Steph was being Steph today with his 36 points (made 9 3-pointers) 🤬 & Joel Embiid actually gave a damn for a change with his 19 points. Both of them were a big help in that comeback. 

I was so ready to laugh at these guys (except for LeBron obviously) if they would of lost that game. Now, they're playing France for the Gold Medal. Yay.  Thanks for nothing Steph (🤬) & Embiid (😒)

Edited by Magog
  • LOL 2
(edited)

I know Steph is a seasoned veteran and "old" for basketball, but he still looks like Dell Curry’s baby-faced kid shooting daggers for Davidson in the NCAA to me.

He really seems like he's soaking up his Olympic experience.

Edited by Souris
  • Like 8

Whew, that was close. Congrats to Serbia, they had the US on their heels most of the game. Joel Embiid finally came in clutch, Steph finally stepped up, and Kevin Durant was again solid. This is going to be a tough gold medal match, especially if the crowd is heavily French. 

• Like 6
7 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Am I missing any other NBA players on France other than Gobert and Wembenyama?

Nic Batum, Evan Fournier. 

That US Serbia game was thrilling. What a 4th quarter comeback. 

• Like 2
(edited)

USA 98 - France 87  Another Gold Medal for the USA Men's Team. Yay.

It would of been somewhat tolerable if I didn't have to suffer through yet another dose of Steph being Steph. 🤬 

24 points & all of them are from 3 pointers (8-14). Plus, making big plays in the 4th Quarter. Ugh.... Always finding ways to bring me even more torment even in the offseason. 🤬

I know that ESPN is downright thrilled right now about the win & their hero being a big part of it.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Dayum, Steph Curry. Just dayum. That last three was BONKERS. 👀

Best shooter ever. It's in his genes.

Edited by Souris
  • Like 5
  • Angry 1
  • Fire 5
38 minutes ago, Magog said:

I know that ESPN is downright thrilled right now about the win & their hero being a big part of it.

A lot of Americans are pretty thrilled about it too. 

• Like 6
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, baldryanr said:

Yep! I'm thrilled to see how well the rest of the world plays but I want those golds to remain in the US. I turn into a rabid bald eagle about it an everything. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 7

@Magog, when Steph decided he was going to win the gold for the USA almost single-handedly those last few minutes, I thought of you and hoped you were OK.  You know Steph only went superhuman because he keeps trying to get into your good graces!  I keep telling him that it's a Sisyphean task, but he just wants to you love him!  He told me to tell you he just wanted to keep that gold here in the USA where it belongs!

Seriously, though, Steph in those last few minutes...that's when I just love basketball in all its pure joy.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago

@Magog, when Steph decided he was going to win the gold for the USA almost single-handedly those last few minutes, I thought of you and hoped you were OK. 

I'm fine. The fact that it had to be him basically clinching the Gold Medal for the USA infuriates me. It was stomach virus-inducing. 

You know Steph only went superhuman because he keeps trying to get into your good graces!  I keep telling him that it's a Sisyphean task, but he just wants to you love him! 

There is better chance of him hugging a cactus & liking it than him ever getting into my good graces. Besides, the day that Steph will ever get into my good graces will be the day that Jerry Jones & Stephen Jones wins a Gold Medal. 

1 minute ago

@Magog should be pleased that his boy LeBron got MVP. Steph would have been more of a contender but for taking a few games to get cooking.

I didn't know that Olympic Basketball awards an MVP. I should be very happy about that, but Steph have to ruined that for me.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, baldryanr said:

Hell, yeah, this American is pretty thrilled. Steph was just vintage Steph today and it was amazing to watch. France got pretty close but it was fun to watch Steph and team shut it down and have fun doing it.

Congrats, guys, and let's go ladies!

• Like 11

As much as I love LeBron for bringing home a championship to my beloved Cleveland, I wish France had won.  It gets boring and feels entitled when the US constantly wins at the same sport.  I like to see other countries win, too.  And it would've been so great for France to win on their home turf.

5 hours ago, roamyn said:

As much as I love LeBron for bringing home a championship to my beloved Cleveland, I wish France had won.  It gets boring and feels entitled when the US constantly wins at the same sport.  I like to see other countries win, too.  And it would've been so great for France to win on their home turf.

This isn't the era of Dream Teams blowing every opponent off the floor.  Plenty of games have been anything but boring and it's very clear other countries are right there.  If Serbia didn't miss all those threes in the fourth quarter they'd have won.

And if you really want the US to lose, look forward to 2028.  The three most important players on this team (Lebron, Steph, KD) are going to be gone and it's not clear who's taking over, but they'll almost certainly be worse.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • The first half of the women's gold medal game was the ugliest half of basketball I can remember seeing in a long time. Hopefully, things improve in the second half.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
17 minutes ago, Slade347 said:
  • The first half of the women's gold medal game was the ugliest half of basketball I can remember seeing in a long time. Hopefully, things improve in the second half.

Ugly in what way?

• Like 1
(edited)

USA 67 - France 66.  USA Women got the Gold Medal. But, they really  have to fight for it till the end. They're very lucky they're not playing Overtime right now & risk possibly losing that game.

Poor Gabby Williams. So damn close, but that foot on the line on the last shot. I feel bad for her. 

Despite the struggles in this game, hopefully winning this game will put a muzzle on those mostly idiot Caitlin Clark fans (not Caitlin Clark herself). Caitlin Clark would of definitely struggled & have to put up a fight in this game. I know that for certain that those losers want the USA Women to lose the game. I hope those losers are very very salty right now as I was yesterday watching Steph being Steph.

BTW, LeBron was at the game today showing his support. Yay. The rest of the USA  Men's team was there too for moral support including whats-his-face (🤬). 

Edited by Magog
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2