Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E01: Week 1: Performance & Judging

• Start Topic

Looks like some of the dances have been set. Here's what we have gleaned so far:

Jonathan & Allison: Jive (per PureDWTS)

Tommy & Peta: Cha-cha-cha

Randy & Karina: Foxtrot (per YouTube video of training)

Betsey & Tony: Cha-cha-cha
Lolo & Keo: Cha-cha-cha (per Lolo's twitter)

Bethany & Derek: Jive (per Bethany's Instagram)

Janel & Val: Jive (per Val in US Magazine)

Alfonso & Witney: Jive (per Witney's Instagram)

Sadie & Mark: Cha-cha-cha (per Mark on Instagram)

Antonio & Cheryl: Cha-cha-cha (per Antonio on Access Hollywood)

Tavis & Sharna: Foxtrot (per Tavis's twitter)

Lea & Artem: Cha-cha-cha (per Lea's Instagram)

Michael & Emma: Cha-cha-cha

The stars will grace the ballroom floor for the first time on live national television with their professional partners during the two-hour season premiere of Dancing with the Stars, which airs MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 15 (8:00-10:01 p.m., ET

I thought Betsy was delightfully enthusiastic.  I'd rather watch her than Lolo any day.  I don't know who Sadie is but she needs to watch her resting bitch face.  She probably doesn't mean to look like she's frowny and pouty when she's not on camera primary but the camera finds her in a panorama shot.  The whole Mrs. Robinson thing was awkward with Artem and Lea and um....Carrie. 

Did I say resting bitch face?  What is UP with Lolo Jones???  Sheesh.

That Keo guy is cute.  Too bad his run will be short.

• Love 2

Lolo Jones is actively trying to go home right? That's the only way I can explain her rehearsal attitude, that dance and the incessant bitch face that followed and still graces her face. Maybe she regrets agreeing to do the show?

So far, I like Sadie and Janel.

And I'm happy to be back to watching not voting now that I don't have Meryl and Charlie to root for.

I didn't watch when Bill Engvall was on but was he as annoying as Michael Waltrip?

Edited by SanLynn

Lolo Jones is actively trying to go home right? That's the only way I can explain her rehearsal attitude, that dance and the incessant bitch face that followed and still graces her face. Maybe she regrets agreeing to do the show?

So far, I like Sadie and Janel.

And I'm happy to be back to watching not voting now that I don't have Meryl and Charlie to root for.

I didn't watch when Bill Engvall was on but was he as annoying as Michael Waltrip?

no Bill was country charm personified.  Michael Waltrip is a loud mouthed and obnoxious and he can't dance.

• Love 3

Allison the new pro has great energy and is very watchable.  I don't know who her partner is though so I'm afraid they will fall into that forgettable zone.  Is it me or are they having timing issues with the judges' commentary?  The 4 judges seem to be parroting the same comments because it fits into their "8 seconds" they have.  It doesn't leave Carrie time to be ditzy, Bruno to be flamboyant or Len to be crabby in his Delightfully Crabby Zone.  I guess adding the 4th judge was kind of a mistake?

• Love 3

I came in wanting to see Tommy Chong. (One of the few names I recognized.)  LOVED it! What fun.  Cheech a bonus! The good ones are great, the bad ones are awful. Can we send more than one home?  Jonathan was darling. Don't know him, but hope he stays around.

• Love 1

Janel definitely has potential.  She was really good in the non jive portion of her dance.  She clearly can perform and turn it on.   Her actual jive content was sloppy, but it is week one.  There was so much hype about her pre-season as the one to beat that I felt she actually underperformed a bit based on what I had been hearing.

I liked Lea, though can do without the cougar references.   

I might be in love with Tommy Chong.   Dude is not going anywhere any time soon.  Not only was that entertaining as hell, he's also funny.

Sadie was better than I was expecting, though not 9 worthy.  She has potential.

I hope Lolo goes home tomorrow.  I feel sorry for Keo, but she's just so miserable and uncomfortable to watch.  I'd rather watch more Betsey.

Jonathan was also somewhat better than I was expecting based on rehearsal footage, though I have no idea what sort of fanbase some of these people have.

I don't like Michael, but I feel like he will be hard to get rid of with his Nascar fans.

Edited by spanana

I'm glad to hear that about Bill Engvall. I've always really liked him and I'm glad he showed his country charm on the show. I may have to youtube some dances.

So far I think I want Michael to go home over Lolo. He just really annoyed me.

Years ago on the TWOP wish list thread, I said I thought Randy Couture would be good, and I'm glad to see he did well. 

So far I've loved Tommy and Lea and Jonathan (I am a sucker for his back story too). I couldn't stand Lolo; I thought her attitude sucked. I did like Keo though. I do hope they give him a better partner the next time around.

• Love 2

Lolo was stiff and uncomfortable but I didn't see any kind of attitude, she's just over her head and kicking herself hard.  I feel bad for her.

Felt bad for Betsy too since clearly she had something to prove though honestly the messed up version was probably more entertaining.

Sadie was good but hell no to two 9s. 

Janel rubbed me the wrong way.  Maybe when she was rubbing on Val a little longer than he looked comfortable with?  She danced well but I wonder how popular she's going to prove to be.  Honestly, I went from liking her to kind of hating her in the space of that one segment.  I don't know her from anything else so it will be interesting to see how she connects with the rest of the audience.  (Or if my first impression of her changes)

Lea has grace but needs more speed. 

• Love 3

Lolo needs to learn how to be a gracious loser. Again, I know nothing about her outside of this, but as an athlete I'd expect she knows about sportsmanship. A little humility would go a long way instead of her defensive attitude talking over the judges.

• Love 6

You Tube girl can dance.

Did we expect that a partner of Derek's wouldn't be able to dance? lol

She's cute and I foresee her in the finals. Maybe it will come down to her and Derek and Sadie and Mark.

I don't think Janel is going to win the mirrorball for Val. She's good but a little off-putting already.

I think Randy is my favorite so far...along with Chong. ;)

• Love 1

I think this is the most relaxed I've ever seen stars on the first episode.  All of them (except Lolo) smiled and looked like they were having fun.  Betsy's dance was 10 times better than Lolos.  I can't believe she got a lower score.  It looked like Randy was feeling Karina up and I know he touched her boob at least once.  Surprised he was actually graceful.